PDA

View Full Version : New Irish manager

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

kriscommons
06/01/2008, 9:05 PM
i think the only foolish thing there is that you think people would be backing a supposed no-hoper at relatively low odds without at least knowing he was in the race...

Betting shops and bingo halls tend to have their fair share of fools. Ther are a lot less playing on betting exchanges I can assure u.

soccerc
06/01/2008, 9:34 PM
i think the only foolish thing there is that you think people would be backing a supposed no-hoper at relatively low odds without at least knowing he was in the race...

These are of course the same people who put money on Gerard Houllier, David O'Leary and only last week, Kenny Dalglish, none of whom applied or were even spoken with.

NeilMcD
06/01/2008, 9:40 PM
Soccerc, who would you reckon is the main most likely to get it. Would it be Venables.

eirebhoy
06/01/2008, 9:42 PM
Considering Giles is 14-1, people would have to know something if they were to lay him at a much bigger price to that on Betfair.

soccerc
06/01/2008, 9:50 PM
Soccerc, who would you reckon is the main most likely to get it. Would it be Venables.

'fraid so :confused:

Paulh
06/01/2008, 11:50 PM
Personally, I'm really disappointed that it isn't Hodgson. My next choice would have been Houllier but it doesn't seem that "the 3 amigos" like him either. I believe Coppell would do a good job but I can't see him leaving Reading.

If the short list really is Brady, Hoddle and Venables, then I would have to go for Hoddle.

Brady may be a candidate as assistant to a more experienced manager but, based on his record at Celtic and Brighton, can't be considered as an International manager in his own right.

I must admit that I had no idea how average Venables record actually was until I read it earlier on this forum. He has also now got extensive business interests in Spain. I believe that he is an excellent coach. However, I really think that he would not give the job the time and respect it deserves and, based on past experience, he would be happy to walk away with a big payout if things don't go his way. Appointing him would be a big and potentially very expensive gamble and, frankly, that's the last thing that the FAI should be doing at this stage.

I know that Hoddle also has a mixed record as a club manager. However, his record with England was pretty good and (while his media comments were ill-advised) he didn't lose the job for footballing reasons. England played good possession football under Hoddle and he is acknowledged as an excellent tactician.

He is still relatively young and, I believe, feels that he has something to prove. So, if the Independent is right, I hope it's Hoddle.

I live in hope that Houllier will get it but, unfortunately, I really expect it to be Del Boy.

Noelys Guitar
07/01/2008, 12:23 AM
Realistic odds. Venables 1/4, Hoddle 7/2, Brady 4/1.

amaccann
07/01/2008, 7:37 AM
Doesn't it feel like a fantastic downer that Hodgson isn't getting the job?

paul_oshea
07/01/2008, 7:46 AM
fantastic downer

Is that a paradox?

amaccann
07/01/2008, 7:57 AM
Is that a paradox?
Naw, "fantastic" isn't necessarily a positive; it can also mean bizarre, vulgar, remarkable. In other words; fooking 'ell whoever actually gets the job better be good.

Wolfie
07/01/2008, 8:11 AM
Unsubstantiated reports on Newstalk this morning that El Tel has been offered the job and has gone on holiday to think about it.

Stuttgart88
07/01/2008, 8:14 AM
I've been battered into submission. I don't care anymore.

At least this time Tel is taking his holidays before starting a new job.

Wolfie
07/01/2008, 8:20 AM

I agree. I've accepted our fate. It could have been Stapleton if things carried on any further.

Just to reiterate, just an unsubstantiated report on Newstalk. The committee are reportedly still interviewing.

The Independent reported yesterday that they will be informed of the new manager by the commitee on 22nd January.

Provided he has got the job - which is far from confirmed, I suppose its time to put our grave reservations aside, wish him to very best and support him.

amaccann
07/01/2008, 8:26 AM

I can see it now:

"Irish fans fume at delay over new boss"
"'We Give Up' voice disenchanted fans"

Dr. Ogba
07/01/2008, 8:34 AM
Yeah I'd echo these sentiments....ever since Hodgson took over at fulham I've gone past caring about who takes over cause it'll just be the usual has-been or never was :mad:

whats the chances of Brady being drafted in to assist Venebles and possibly take over the u21s? would be some kind of silver lining...

ruben_sosa
07/01/2008, 8:38 AM
I live in hope that Houllier will get it but, unfortunately, I really expect it to be Del Boy.

i expect Newcastle will beat us to Houllier while those three useless codgers are still putting their list of candidates together.

paul_oshea
07/01/2008, 9:02 AM
ever since Hodgson took over at fulham I've gone past caring about who takes over cause it'll just be the usual has-been or never was

I havent, to think of all the other managers managing teams across europe that get far less than around 1 million. its a bloody joke, i will always support Ireland, but the thought of paying for tickets when its going to a money-sponge is really really aggrevating.

Dr. Ogba
07/01/2008, 9:52 AM
I havent, to think of all the other managers managing teams across europe that get far less than around 1 million. its a bloody joke, i will always support Ireland, but the thought of paying for tickets when its going to a money-sponge is really really aggrevating.

never said i've gone past caring about the Irish team (which would never happen) but I can honestly say that the Brazil/Serbia matches will be my last on the block-booking...i'm done with lining the pockets of these chancers.
Unless they pull someone really unexpected out of the bag it'll only be away matches for me from now on (provided that I have the cash!!)...

geysir
07/01/2008, 10:11 AM
To save us from Venables, the last chance for us would be if Noely was to put his curse on him and place a saver bet on Venables at 3/1.

Jerry The Saint
07/01/2008, 10:15 AM
Unsubstantiated reports on Newstalk this morning that El Tel has been offered the job and has gone on holiday to think about it.

Denied by Gilesy who seems to think that he's in the loop (of course he may not be). Still some people due to be interviewed according to him but the cynics would say that Del Boy was offered the job before anyone was interviewed.

Stuttgart88
07/01/2008, 10:17 AM
From eleven-a-side.com

Former Liverpool star David Fairclough believes old Anfield colleague Kenny Dalglish is one of the few people perfectly equipped to deal with the unrealistic expectations of the Irish football public.

If I hear "unrealistic expectations" once more I'll scream!

Is it unrealistic to expect to be competitive against Cyprus and ***ing San Marino and to be composed enough to see out winning positions in places like Slovakia and Wales when we have a team full of Premiership players? Is it unrealistic to expect a team to consist of your best players?

KMH2
07/01/2008, 10:21 AM
Houllier now gone in to 6-1 on paddy power, same mate i was telling you about earlier told me over the weekend that his aunt who owns a pub in dublin was chattin a guy who works in admin in the FAI told her that he was nailed on for the job

i **** you not

tetsujin1979
07/01/2008, 10:24 AM
Houllier now gone in to 6-1 on paddy power, same mate i was telling you about earlier told me over the weekend that his aunt who owns a pub in dublin was chattin a guy who works in admin in the FAI told her that he was nailed on for the job

i **** you not
Hmm, hearsay and conjecture, those are kinds of evidence (tm and (c) Lionel Hutz)

NeilMcD
07/01/2008, 10:26 AM
My sisters **** buddy's secretary knows this guy whose brother shops in arnotts and got talking to a girl at the counter who once chatted to a guy who used to know a girl who worked in the FAI, told me that Daglish is nailed on for the job.

Jerry The Saint
07/01/2008, 10:31 AM
Another o.g. for Delaney - everyone feared it was a done deal for Venables and the "selection process" was just an excuse for the three boys to go on a month-long all expenses paid jolly.

Actually, whoever leaked the story may well have done more harm than good to Venables' chances - the only way Delaney and the 3 Wise Men can have any credibility now is if anyone but El Tel gets the job.

With a whopping 90% disapproval rating they could make themselves very popular by appointing just about anybody else.

Newryrep
07/01/2008, 10:34 AM

i **** you not

By the Aunt ?

Deckydee
07/01/2008, 10:52 AM
Another o.g. for Delaney - everyone feared it was a done deal for Venables and the "selection process" was just an excuse for the three boys to go on a month-long all expenses paid jolly.

Actually, whoever leaked the story may well have done more harm than good to Venables' chances - the only way Delaney and the 3 Wise Men can have any credibility now is if anyone but El Tel gets the job.

With a whopping 90% disapproval rating they could make themselves very popular by appointing just about anybody else.

Good point and I hope to God that you are right

geysir
07/01/2008, 11:03 AM
Statistics show that 10/10 of those who think favourably about Dalglish will spell his name properly.
And to those who are not in favour, he is a Daglish, Dalgleish or Dalgish.

Houliier is still 16/1 with PP but he is being offered at 6/1 on Betfair

Deckydee
07/01/2008, 11:11 AM
I might as well get the ball rolling here. He will be out of a job in a couple of days?

Big Sam for the irish job?

Didnt he do well for Limerick ;)

Jerry The Saint
07/01/2008, 11:15 AM
I might as well get the ball rolling here. He will be out of a job in a couple of days?

Big Sam for the irish job?

Didnt he do well for Limerick ;)

As with Sanchez and Kerr before them, having experience of managing in Ireland is a big negative as far as the FAI is concerned.

Billsthoughts
07/01/2008, 11:17 AM
do ya think its about time to lock all the other manager threads now and just keep all discussion to this one. that way one can avoid the mindless speculation. serious request.
My two cents for what its worth I would happily have Brady as manager. He seems to know his stuff. since his time in management he has spent his time (imo eventho I dont "support" them) at one of the best run clubs in the world. There are no certainties with any of the candidates but at least I would feel more comfortable supporting a liam brady Ireland over a terry venables or a glen hoddle ireland....

KMH2
07/01/2008, 11:17 AM
Statistics show that 10/10 of those who think favourably about Dalglish will spell his name properly.

hes actually 6/1 now if you care to check again with PP

KMH2
07/01/2008, 11:19 AM
My sisters **** buddy's secretary knows this guy whose brother shops in arnotts and got talking to a girl at the counter who once chatted to a guy who used to know a girl who worked in the FAI, told me that Daglish is nailed on for the job.

good lad

probably 2/10

Billsthoughts
07/01/2008, 11:20 AM
"and as I rained blows down upon him.."..sorry only seeing your sig now....

geysir
07/01/2008, 11:32 AM
hes actually 6/1 now if you care to check again with PP
You're right.
I was checking here
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/next-ireland-manager/next-permanent-manager/
It's different with PP own site.

Giles in at 10/1. Has to be one of the most absurd odds ever offered.

eirebhoy
07/01/2008, 11:52 AM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=848203&postcount=678

Jerry The Saint
07/01/2008, 4:21 PM
"and as I rained blows down upon him.."..sorry only seeing your sig now....

I've come to the conclusion that the only logical way to decide the next Ireland manager is to gather all the candidates in one room for the Feats of Strength.

Otherwise, we're just going to spend all our time listing all the ways John Delaney has disappointed us over the past year.

eekers
07/01/2008, 5:13 PM

not a big Houllier fan then?

shakermaker1982
07/01/2008, 5:37 PM
ok who's left?

Hoddle
El Tel
Brady (with maybe Giles helping him out)
Houllier
Kenny
O'Leary

Out of those 6 who can do a job for us? A very bad bunch I grant you but these are the dregs we are left with and unless an outsider flukes it (Sanchez) then one of these men must get it. If I had to put them in order of preference it would look something like this:

Houllier
El Tel
Brady
O'Leary
Kenny
Hoddle.

NeilMcD
07/01/2008, 6:04 PM
Did Kenny not just take the Derry job.

shakermaker1982
07/01/2008, 6:18 PM
I don't think that 'Kenny' was ever considered for the job!

eekers
07/01/2008, 6:21 PM
ok who's left?

Hoddle
El Tel
Brady (with maybe Giles helping him out)
Houllier
Kenny
O'Leary

Jol
Allardyce
Coppell
McCarthy
Sanchez
Coleman
Sheridan

GavinZac
07/01/2008, 6:21 PM
well it says a lot when successful irish managers like Kenny or Richardson are considered behind the likes of Hoddle and Brady.

Noelys Guitar
07/01/2008, 6:25 PM
According to various reports O'Leary, Dalglish and Venables have not been interviewed (almost certainly because they refuse to go through the 3 migo's process). So why continue with the migo's charade?

eekers
07/01/2008, 6:32 PM
According to various reports O'Leary, Dalglish and Venables have not been interviewed (almost certainly because they refuse to go through the 3 migo's process). So why continue with the migo's charade?

these guys refuse to be interviewed!! haha no wonder these guys havent worked in a while.

they've not been interviewed because they're shiite.

amaccann
07/01/2008, 6:40 PM
Does beg the question who they HAVE interviewed considering that we know
a ) there were '14' interviews
b ) the "usual suspects" we note - Venables et al - have not been contacted.

geysir
07/01/2008, 6:48 PM
I never saw it that there would be interviews with everybody who was interested in front of the panel of 3 firing questions at them
I would have thought that it's a one to one chat and maybe the whole panel meet with the top 2 or 3 candidates.

Noelys Guitar
07/01/2008, 6:50 PM
Does beg the question who they HAVE interviewed considering that we know
a ) there were '14' interviews
b ) the "usual suspects" we note - Venables et al - have not been contacted.

Houghton stated that the only people who have applied are the "usual suspects" The Kendall's, Billy Davies etc, etc. The types Grimsby would turn down.
Makes sense of what I was told about Hoddle being favourite for the job with the Brady/Giles combo 2nd favs.

eekers
07/01/2008, 7:02 PM
it makes sense

some priick in the fai has to organise the details of the meetings. he recognises the names brady/giles and hoddle as the most prominant because he knows nothing about football. and we're left with "hoddle is sure favourite like boy"

Noelys Guitar
07/01/2008, 7:12 PM
it makes sense

some priick in the fai has to organise the details of the meetings. he recognises the names brady/giles and hoddle as the most prominant because he knows nothing about football. and we're left with "hoddle is sure favourite like boy"

No. It means the candidates that have applied are so bad Hoddle comes out looking like Shankly.