PDA

View Full Version : New Irish manager

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

shaneker
26/11/2007, 10:11 PM
It's like with each passing day someone's trying to win the "most outlandish possibility" award.

Roy Keane with Mick McCarthy as assistant, Alf-Inge Haaland as Technical Advisor and Jason McAteer as Official Biographer? :p

Jerry The Saint
26/11/2007, 11:21 PM
Louis Van Gaal has said today that heir a clause in his contract with AZ that he can leave for a national team job.

There seems to be a lot of managerial turnover at this time of the year. The FAI should be on the lookout for managers who are having a bad time of it. A few bad results at some random club could throw up a new candidate. Should definitely be looking outside England as well, van Gaal wouldn't be the worst - think that a Dutch manager might work out well for us.

soccerc
26/11/2007, 11:23 PM
There seems to be a lot of managerial turnover at this time of the year. The FAI should be on the lookout for managers who are having a bad time of it. A few bad results at some random club could throw up a new candidate. Should definitely be looking outside England as well, van Gaal wouldn't be the worst - think that a Dutch manager might work out well for us.
Apparently its a Venables/Townsend and AN Other former irish international done deal

eekers
26/11/2007, 11:40 PM
Apparently its a Venables/Townsend and AN Other former irish international done deal
chris hughton i take it

soccerc
26/11/2007, 11:42 PM
chris hughton i take it

His is one of the names mentioned as is David Kelly's. I can see the latter but not the former in the frame

eekers
26/11/2007, 11:48 PM
is venables gonna give up his sun column etc?
concentrate on the job or is he gonna use it to get a few handy advertising jobs in ireland, and release a book in time for christmas 2010?

brine3
26/11/2007, 11:59 PM
I'll always remember Van Gaal's reaction after the 2-2 with us in Amsterdam. Some guy interviewing him for Dutch television asked him why Holland didn't pass us off the pitch and win "three or four nil". Van Gaal just looked at him meanly for about five seconds and said, "You know, they have Mark Kinsella and Roy Keane as their midfield partnership." He gained my respect after that.

Just like to mention again that Co Adriaanse is at a club in the Middle East, you can be sure he has some kind of clause in his contract there. This is the man who was in charge of the Ajax youth setup in the early 90s, got Willem II (who?, exactly) into the Champions League, got AZ to the UEFA Cup semis and did the double in his only season at Porto. Good with young players and a known disciplinarian and tactician. Three things we need.

jmurphyc
27/11/2007, 12:03 AM
I wonder whether Billy Davies' name is going to start being mentioned now that he has been released by Derby. I'm not saying I'd necessarily want him but he's a better option than some of the clowns that the papers are touting as the "perfect candidate".

Schlooooomp
27/11/2007, 9:36 AM
I'm getting to the point where I see practically any appointment being better than venables and whatever other jokers are named in his entourage.

tetsujin1979
27/11/2007, 9:41 AM
From today's Independent: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/delaneys-show-and-tel-the-key-to-future-1231067.html

at today's meeting, the names of septuagenarians Bobby Robson and Don Howe, in addition to David Pleat, are set to be submitted as king-makers.

This is followed up by an interesting point:

remember Robson recommended Venables for the Barcelona job in 1984, while Howe was Venables' assistant at Euro '96. Furthermore, Pleat, like Venables, managed Spurs. Given a choice between Venables and Houllier, who do you think they'd go for?

Jerry The Saint
27/11/2007, 9:50 AM

"Done deal" in what way though:confused: Delaney has his heart set on Venables/Townsend? 10-man board in full agreement? Venables has agreed terms?

Venables doesn't need this job, I can easily see him playing hardball on the contract negotiation - are the FAI expected to cave and offer him whatever he wants?

Venables/Townsend sounds eerily similar to the Robson/Staunton world-class management dream team to me :eek: Public reaction has been mixed at best - would Delaney stake whatever's left of his reputation on another inactive veteran and an old pro with zero coaching experience?

JimmyP
27/11/2007, 9:56 AM
I'm getting to the point where I see practically any appointment being better than venables and whatever other jokers are named in his entourage.

Same here. I have the same bad feeling I had when rumours of Staunton/Robson were first appearing.
Someone needs to let Delaney know that Venables just isn't the right option.

geysir
27/11/2007, 10:03 AM
I think the FAI meeting will be about the interview panel. I don´t think Delaney would get away with a Venables is available lets take him right now.

Schlooooomp
27/11/2007, 10:28 AM
Why the rush? We might as well wait til summer. Nothing to play for til September 08.

If the candidate that we are looking at is in employment until Summer 08 then there is not a major rush, although it would probably be more useful than not having the new man in charge for a few frienlies. Maybe one against Sweden, win that and it would signal a new dawn for Irish football.

Lets take Hodgson, of the names been bandied about at the moment I think he is the standout candidate. Is he going to wait until the middle of next year for the Irish job, I doubt it, he will be in Australia or possibly a job at club level.

macdermesser
27/11/2007, 10:28 AM
Why the rush? We might as well wait til summer. Nothing to play for til September 08.

fail to prepare .. etc

tetsujin1979
27/11/2007, 10:59 AM
Dutch legend Arie Haan declares interestin Ireland job: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2924308,00.html

Don't know anything about his international record, but I already want him to be manager instead of Venables

Schlooooomp
27/11/2007, 11:02 AM
Dutch legend Arie Haan declares interestin Ireland job: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2924308,00.html

Don't know anything about his international record, but I already want him to be manager instead of Venables

It at least illustrates the point that there are more options than venables.

Wow, word must be out that the FAI are flush with money.

Noelys Guitar
27/11/2007, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=tetsujin1979;825885]Dutch legend Arie Haan declares interestin Ireland job: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2924308,00.html

Don't know anything about his international record, but I already want him to be manager instead of Venables[/QUOTE

In European club football very experienced. Managed in Holland, Germany, Belgium and Cyprus. Internationally managed the Chinese national team and Cameroon.

ifk101
27/11/2007, 11:14 AM
Arie Haan's wikipedia page makes interesting reading ....

amaccann
27/11/2007, 11:14 AM

A far, far more exciting possibility (even if I'd say he's interested cos he'd see it as as stepping stone into the Premiership) than Venables.

Seriously lads, what the stuffing hell is going on that the *frontrunner* in the search for our new football manager is Terry bloody Venables?

irishfan86
27/11/2007, 11:15 AM
Haan looks to be a very good cup manager, that would be perfect for what we need. His success in so many different leagues shows to me he's the real deal, as opposed to the mixed bags that are Venables, Souness, etc.

Noelys Guitar
27/11/2007, 11:24 AM
Haan has something that none of the other candidates have going for them. He was great player in truly great Dutch teams. He scored 2 of the best goals anyone is ever likely to see against Italy. Two longs shots that Dino Zoff did'nt get anywhere near. He has great respect in Holland. And he wants the Dutch job. Has slated Van Basten as a type of Stan ie can't coach, manage, tactics etc. He has 2 WC runners-up medals. If he isn't interviewed for the job then there really is something wrong. Robson, Giles, Howe and Pleat have all seen him play. Robson would be aware of what he has done in European club management. I loved watching those Dutch teams. We have been waiting for someone of this calibare to declare his interest

gustavo
27/11/2007, 1:25 PM
Well of course they are Dublin-based they are Irish after all .

Bottle of Tonic
27/11/2007, 2:25 PM

Ah now, soccerc, you're the last person I want to hear saying that.
While Venables has couple of things going for him - experience - ehhhh..... - respect of the players maybe? .......... I'm stuck............. I thought we'd have learnt from appointing a novice like Stan. Nothing against A Townsend, certainly will speak better than Stan, BUT HE'S A GAMMY TELLY PUNDIT FFS!!!!
No coaching experience.:(

Drumcondra 69er
27/11/2007, 3:32 PM
Relevant in that there's another country on the lookout for a manager now. Venables for Scotland anyone!!

It'll probably be Billy Davies....

Alex McLeish has resigned as Scotland manager and BBC Sport understands he will take over as Birmingham boss.
The Blues have called a news conference for Wednesday, where they are expected to unveil the 48-year-old McLeish.

Appointed in January 2007 with a deal running until 2010, McLeish came close to taking Scotland to Euro 2008.

Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith told BBC Radio 5 Live: "We weren't going to allow him to speak to the club."

The Blues, who received £3m when Steve Bruce left for Wigan, are believed to have agreed a compensation package with the SFA.

"Alex had a contract for another two years until 2010 and we were willing to give him another two years with a much better financial deal," said Smith.

But, despite the prospect of an improved deal for McLeish, the lure of the English top-flight has proved too great for the former Rangers, Hibernian and Motherwell boss.

Smith added: "He has been a terrific manager for Scotland and a great asset to the association.

"He's also been working in other aspects within the SFA, and he's a big loss."

A hint that the Blues had got their man came when caretaker assistant Eric Black quit on Tuesday to join Bruce at Wigan.

"I understand that McLeish agreed to join Birmingham soon after getting off the plane from South Africa this morning where he had been representing Scotland at the World Cup draw," said BBC 5 Live sports reporter Pat Murphy.

"Compensation isn't a problem. The SFA will receive around £1m for releasing McLeish.

"McLeish has long hankered after managing a club in the Premier League and he was interviewed for the West Brom job three years ago.

"His playing credentials as a lion-hearted defender, capped 77 times by Scotland, and his clutch of trophies picked up as Rangers manager will guarantee him respect in the Birmingham dressing room."

The SFA will now hold a meeting on Wednesday to discuss who will succeed McLeish.

The former Scottish manager is likely to enjoy a huge salary hike by moving to the Premier League.

Green Tribe
27/11/2007, 3:33 PM
World forum?

eekers
27/11/2007, 3:34 PM
Roy Hod is 22/1 for this

eekers
27/11/2007, 3:41 PM
and chance we can have a new poll as a load of people were asking for. set it up on a new thread if needs be

macdermesser
27/11/2007, 3:44 PM
maybe merge to new manager thread?

It's the sort of thing that could happen if we appoint O'leary IMO

Jerry The Saint
27/11/2007, 3:50 PM
Relevant in that there's another country on the lookout for a manager now. Venables for Scotland anyone!!

It'll probably be Billy Davies....

Just like Walter Smith and McLeish swapped jobs, Steve Bruce will now be appointed Scotland manager. The SFA will keep replacing their old manager with the guy who wasn't good enough to do his new job until eventually they end up with Staunton in charge :eek:

an_ceannaire
27/11/2007, 4:03 PM
Think about it
Better players and team right now
Real feel good atmosphere
Bigger job traditionally

This could have a real knock on effect for us
I am sure any of the British based managers who we were saying were in the running for our job, will now look at Scotland and think, I would rather some of that. For a whole host of footballing and geographical reasons.
This prob increases the likleyhood of a Hodgson and lessens the chances of a Souness/ElTel/Coppel etc.

Souness must be favourite

DeNiro
27/11/2007, 6:13 PM
Newstalk reporting that Hiddink has not signed / is stalling over a new contract with Russia. Bet the FA have been on to him! Although I'm sure Ambramovich will match any offer.

soccerc
27/11/2007, 6:25 PM
FAI Statement from today's meeting The Board of Management of the Football Association of Ireland met today.

A report was given on the process to select a new manager for the senior international team and the ten members of the Board unanimously agreed that progress to date is positive.

It was agreed that the process be moved forward by meeting with the proposed members of the panel drawn up to assist with the recruitment. The purpose of this meeting will be to outline the conditions and terms of reference for the new senior international team manager and answer any questions the people involved in the selection process may have.

While the Board considers it preferable to have a new manager in place before the February friendly with Brazil it will be emphasised to the recruitment panel that making the best possible appointment is the priority for Irish football.

eekers
27/11/2007, 6:59 PM
FAI Statement from today's meeting The Board of Management of the Football Association of Ireland met today.

A report was given on the process to select a new manager for the senior international team and the ten members of the Board unanimously agreed that progress to date is positive.

It was agreed that the process be moved forward by meeting with the proposed members of the panel drawn up to assist with the recruitment. The purpose of this meeting will be to outline the conditions and terms of reference for the new senior international team manager and answer any questions the people involved in the selection process may have.

While the Board considers it preferable to have a new manager in place before the February friendly with Brazil it will be emphasised to the recruitment panel that making the best possible appointment is the priority for Irish football.

i thought venables had it wrapped up? :rolleyes:

soccerc
27/11/2007, 7:03 PM
i thought venables had it wrapped up? :rolleyes:

..and where in that statement does it claim otherwise?

geysir
27/11/2007, 7:13 PM
'While the Board considers it preferable to have Venables in place before the February friendly with Brazil it will be emphasised to the recruitment panel that making Venables the manager is the best possible appointment and is the priority for Irish football.'

eirebhoy
27/11/2007, 7:15 PM
Newstalk reporting that Hiddink has not signed / is stalling over a new contract with Russia. Bet the FA have been on to him! Although I'm sure Ambramovich will match any offer.
He only signed a new one a few months ago didn't he?

eekers
27/11/2007, 7:48 PM
reports today were that if all the fai members agreed venables would be appointed tonight. and if they didnt all agree then it would go forward and the selection committee would decide on the appointment.

the fai are now set to meeting the selection committee and give them their terms of reference of the appointment.
the decision is now in the hands of the selection commitee and not the fai.
unless you know the minds of robson, pleat and howe then your 'in the know' information means nothing.

unless of course the terms are reference are "he must be a cockney", "a bit dodgy", "qualified for no tournaments", "is a criminal"

eirebhoy
27/11/2007, 7:55 PM
I haven't had time to follow what's going on but are the 3 names above confirmed for the selection panel?

eekers
27/11/2007, 7:58 PM
I haven't had time to follow what's going on but are the 3 names above confirmed for the selection panel?

99% sure but you never know with the fai

Qwerty
27/11/2007, 10:19 PM
Whoever we get I don't want nobs like Steve Bruce or Alex McLeish, we need a guy who will see the job through and not jump ship as soon as he makes an improvement or some other job comes along.

eekers
29/11/2007, 9:10 AM
there most be a few candidates within this lot???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Brazilian_football_managers

Armando
29/11/2007, 3:08 PM
there most be a few candidates within this lot???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Brazilian_football_managers

Wanderly Luxemburgo....speaks English. He learnt it because he was preparing himself for his dream job at Man Utd - that's true btw:D

Was going to be the next big thing until he failed at Madrid.

He is corrupt as hell though...Harry Redknapp isn't a patch on this guy!

eekers
30/11/2007, 8:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radomir_Anti%C4%87

won the double in Spain with Atlético Madrid!
Manged Real and then Barcelona and practically every other team in spain.
Only 59 and i presume he's speaks england from his time playing for Luton.

file under 'better than venables'

gustavo
30/11/2007, 9:17 PM
eekers don't start new threads on every manager that comes into your head! ,Merged

Noelys Guitar
30/11/2007, 9:33 PM
With Don Howe and Givens expect to see Brady and O'Leary come right back into the picture. Givens will keep his job if either of these are appointed. And Howe used to coach both O'Leary and Brady. It is Bizarre to have a guy who is manager of the u21's selecting who his immediate boss will be. Many of the European managers will want to bring in their own people and that would include the u21 post. Can't see Givens going for that.

geysir
30/11/2007, 10:11 PM
The new manager wont be Givens's boss. His job is not dependent on whoever is the new manager. The u21 post is not included in the new man's brief.

Noelys Guitar
30/11/2007, 10:26 PM
The new manager wont be Givens's boss. His job is not dependent on whoever is the new manager. The u21 post is not included in the new man's brief.

Nor was it when Charlton took over. But a strong character who wants to do things his way will bring his own people in. And Charlton indirectly forced Touhy out by coming into the dressing room while Touhy was manager of the then u21's and giving the team talk. Touhy knew he had to go to preserve his own diginity. Givens would be fully aware of that.

geysir
30/11/2007, 10:41 PM
I see your point. Our Don Givano will certainly have his antennas tuned in.
All the new prospective manager has to do in the interview is mention discipline about 20 times, moan incessantly about the evils of mobile phones and be evangelical about the value of street leagues.

Then Charlton wasn't fit to p'iss in Liam's pot.
An act of ignorance rather than a serious attempt to impose his football -ahem- culture on our innocent youth.

Noelys Guitar
30/11/2007, 10:59 PM
I see your point. Our Don Givano will certainly have his antennas tuned in.
All the new prospective manager has to do in the interview is mention discipline about 20 times, moan incessantly about the evils of mobile phones and be evangelical about the value of street leagues.

Then Charlton wasn't fit to p'iss in Liam's pot.
An act of ignorance rather than a serious attempt to impose his football -ahem- culture on our innocent youth.

Charlton knew exactly what he was doing.