PDA

View Full Version : New Irish manager

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

irishfan86
08/01/2008, 2:45 PM
Harte was joint top scorer in the qualifers along with Robbie Keane and had also weighed in with assists. He was weak defensively so Kilbane was required to give cover which Duff wasn't able to give. A lack of options up front meant pushing Duff inside although he was still given freedom to roam. Yes, he'd have been better as an out and out winger then Kilbane but the combination of Harte and Kilbane with Duff up front was a better option then Harte and Duff with AN Other up front. Sometimes players have to move for the good of the team.

Kelly was ahead of Finnan on merit at the time, more international experience and had been playing at a higher club level for far longer. Your argument doesn't stand up and is typical of the rewriting of history engaged in since 2002.

Bang on.

paul_oshea
08/01/2008, 2:57 PM
had also weighed in

he certainly had....

eekers
08/01/2008, 3:03 PM
These interviews are embarrassing to proper candidates. They suggest that we're ignorant of their qualifications, and frankly are only of benefit to the likes of Howard Kendall & Terry Venables, who, when interviewed alongside real candidates, then have the time to go to Outer mongolia or Eritrea's F.A. and say "Well, I need an answer quickly, lads, The Irish are interested. I was interviewed you know..."

The interviews, in their current format, only serve to offer credibility to the freakishly incredible.

its already been noted the likes of kendall, venables and dalglish arent being interviewed.

Dr. Ogba
08/01/2008, 3:09 PM
Kelly was ahead of Finnan on merit at the time, more international experience and had been playing at a higher club level for far longer. Your argument doesn't stand up and is typical of the rewriting of history engaged in since 2002.

the thing is that Kelly wasn't ahead on merit at the time. Kelly was a fading force (remember his performance at home against Holland?)and Mick was shown up in his selection of Kelly in the first game by the fact that Finnan came on after 45 (granted for McAteer) and then started the rest of the games...I remember being quite surprised at the time that Kelly was picked to start as he had done nothing to deserve starting...

jmurphyc
08/01/2008, 3:17 PM
its already been noted the likes of kendall, venables and dalglish arent being interviewed.

Who are we interviewing then? I haven't been keeping up with the process in the last few weeks (got depressed about it) but I can't think of many viable candidates out there at the moment who have had a job in the last few years.

jbyrne
08/01/2008, 3:19 PM
the thing is that Kelly wasn't ahead on merit at the time. Kelly was a fading force (remember his performance at home against Holland?)and Mick was shown up in his selection of Kelly in the first game by the fact that Finnan came on after 45 (granted for McAteer) and then started the rest of the games...I remember being quite surprised at the time that Kelly was picked to start as he had done nothing to deserve starting...

so pick on one performance where kelly struggled against a top class dutch attack. kelly was very influential in that wc squad and was very good in much of that campaign and finals. we could all pick on individual selections but overall mick got us to the wc where we performed well above ourselves

Dr. Ogba
08/01/2008, 3:25 PM
so pick on one performance where kelly struggled against a top class dutch attack. kelly was very influential in that wc squad and was very good in much of that campaign and finals. we could all pick on individual selections but overall mick got us to the wc where we performed well above ourselves

the performance epitomised how poorly he was playing for us. he should never have been picked for that game and Finnan, when he came on, dealt with Overmars far more comfortably. Kelly just looked lost just as he did when he started against Cameroon.

But anyway, Kelly is just an example of various poor selections of Mick's over the years and also shows how overly-loyal/stubborn he was with picking some players.

Bondvillain
08/01/2008, 3:29 PM

Even if that comment was made earnestly by a committee member, money on, theres someone in the FAI sniggering up their sleeves at the innocence of it.

The appointment still depends on who's unemployed at the time the interview truck grinds to a halt.

Drumcondra 69er
08/01/2008, 3:31 PM

Absolute nonsense, Kelly had been playing well for Leeds and Finnan had only had one season ion the EPL for Fulham under his belt. Finnan came in for McAteer and Kelly also started the rest of the games so how was 'Mick shown up in his selection of Kelly'. Kelly had one of those days against Holland but had a good World Cup by anyone's standards. More rewritting of history.....

Dr. Ogba
08/01/2008, 3:51 PM
Absolute nonsense, Kelly had been playing well for Leeds and Finnan had only had one season ion the EPL for Fulham under his belt. Finnan came in for McAteer and Kelly also started the rest of the games so how was 'Mick shown up in his selection of Kelly'. Kelly had one of those days against Holland but had a good World Cup by anyone's standards. More rewritting of history.....

I have no doubt in my mind that Finnan was the better player at the time (a quick wikipedia search shows that he was named in the PFA team of the year 01/02). It is you, sir, that is rewriting history - Kelly wasn't even a first team regular with Leeds at the time (there was a lot of chopping and changing with Danny Mills).
Finnan was the up-and-coming player at the time and Kelly was most definitely on the way out. Don't know how you can say he had a good world cup as he was substituted in every match and offered absolutely nothing as either a full-back or winger....

Anyway...................

soccerc
08/01/2008, 4:34 PM
Another El Tel Rant (http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/content/view/22/2/)

jbyrne
08/01/2008, 4:46 PM
Don't know how you can say he had a good world cup as he was substituted in every match and offered absolutely nothing as either a full-back or

eh, wrong again..

v cameroon started and finished game
v germany started and replaced in 73 min replaced by quinn - tactical sub
v saudi arabia started and replaced in 80 min by mcateer when we were 3 nil up!
v spain started and again replaced by quinn for tacctical reasons in 55 min

his game time in the 02 wc hardly smacks of an out of form player

kriscommons
08/01/2008, 5:19 PM
Direct from the betting industry I can tell you that didier Deschamps might just be the proverbial rabbit out of a hat for the FAI.

Being backed this evening. Fingers crossed.....

ramsfan
08/01/2008, 5:30 PM
wouldnt be a bad choice

Drumcondra 69er
08/01/2008, 11:25 PM
I have no doubt in my mind that Finnan was the better player at the time (a quick wikipedia search shows that he was named in the PFA team of the year 01/02). It is you, sir, that is rewriting history - Kelly wasn't even a first team regular with Leeds at the time (there was a lot of chopping and changing with Danny Mills).
Finnan was the up-and-coming player at the time and Kelly was most definitely on the way out. Don't know how you can say he had a good world cup as he was substituted in every match and offered absolutely nothing as either a full-back or winger....

Correct although some of us wouldn't have needed to reference Wikipedia to be aware of that. However, the point I made was that He had only one season of top flight football behind him at that stage whereas Kelly had been regularly playing at that level for 9 seasons by then, had been an international for 8 years and had had numerous European games in club football under his belt. By your logic Wayne Bridge should have been playing for England then yeah? And Kelly was a regular in the Leeds team that season from December till the end of the season bar a few games here or there. Him and Mills both had injuries that year and chopped and changed.

NeilMcD
09/01/2008, 11:14 AM
In relation to betting and the manager I was listening to Brian Kerr on the Pat Kenny show and he was saying what happens is that a bookmaker may get one of his mates or somebody to put a good bit of money on a candidiate, if the market is slow. This brings down the odds of the candidate for example Kenny Dalglish. People then feel that there might be something in it and put money him themselves. This sort of thing seems to have happened a few times in relation to Irish job.

geysir
09/01/2008, 11:45 AM
I wonder where Brian heard that? sounds like he had a good discussion in the pub with his mates.

What is to stop a bookie gradually bringing down the odds of a sleeping candidate without the need for a friend actually placing money on the candidate. In sync with a few well placed discussion board posts rounded off with the relevant "proof" - Hackett photocopy machine activity or the brother in law's mistress etc.

I don´t know but is the Ireland manager betting market any more lucrative that the 500 markets on line now? I think their main concern is not to get caught on the hop when there is the final push on the winner. In this market, doesn't the favourite always win in the end?

Noelys Guitar
09/01/2008, 11:50 AM
I wonder where Brian heard that? sounds like he had a good discussion in the pub with his mates.

What is to stop a bookie gradually bringing down the odds of a sleeping candidate without the need for a friend actually placing money on the candidate. In sync with a few well placed discussion board posts rounded off with the relevant "proof" - Hackett photocopy machine activity or the brother in law's mistress etc.

I don´t know but is the Ireland manager betting market any more lucrative that the 500 markets on line now? I think their main concern is not to get caught on the hop when there is the final push on the winner. In this market, doesn't the favourite always win in the end?

Surely your not suggesting FD would stoop so low are you Geysir? Jeekers whats the world coming to.

geysir
09/01/2008, 12:08 PM
FD?

I hear that Paddy Mulligan will be discussing the merits of Houllier on Newstalk in the next hour or so. Is there anybody who talks more shíte than PM about subjects he knows nothing about? ( apart from Roddy Collins of course)

Wolfie
09/01/2008, 12:09 PM
........ didier Deschamps might just be the proverbial rabbit out of a hat for the FAI.

I thought he was a Frog.

Bondvillain
09/01/2008, 12:14 PM
FD?

I hear that Paddy Mulligan will be discussing the merits of Houllier on Newstalk in the next hour or so. Is there anybody who talks more shíte than PM about subjects he knows nothing about? ( apart from Roddy Collins of course)

John Delaney talks an awful lot about Football, and telling the truth.

Metrostars
09/01/2008, 12:25 PM
4 weeks until the Brazil game. Will a manager be in place by then? 11 weeks since Staunton was given the chop. WTF ?

DotTV
09/01/2008, 12:25 PM
In relation to betting and the manager I was listening to Brian Kerr on the Pat Kenny show and he was saying what happens is that a bookmaker may get one of his mates or somebody to put a good bit of money on a candidiate, if the market is slow. This brings down the odds of the candidate for example Kenny Dalglish. People then feel that there might be something in it and put money him themselves. This sort of thing seems to have happened a few times in relation to Irish job.

I used to run a bookies and in a market like this it wouldn't take much to go from 10/1 to 3/1 or something. I'd be more alarmed if someone went seriously odds on

DotTV
09/01/2008, 12:27 PM
I thought he was a Frog.

:D :D :D

Stuttgart88
09/01/2008, 12:28 PM
Is slashing an outsider's odds to anything inside 10/1 (or some other psychologically "realistic" number) not merely a way of attracting a few quid and getting some publicity?

I knew this type of thing would happen, just as it did last time out.

Noelys Guitar
09/01/2008, 12:33 PM
FD?

Mr Drury of PP and friend of Kerr.

Stuttgart88
09/01/2008, 12:35 PM
A summary of Mulligan's remarks would be appreciated.

geysir
09/01/2008, 1:04 PM
I missed it but given that I would rather have a chat on the phone with the Mother in Law it didn't rate too high on my attention list.

Hibernian
09/01/2008, 2:13 PM
God once El Tel, Brady or Giles do not get the job it wont be too bad hopefully.

No matter who we get someone wont like him even if it were Wenger or Lippi there always people who are never happy.

At present I would love see us at least approach Klinsmann be worth a shot, 99.99% chance he say no but jesus lets be some bit upbeat about this.

You might think im away with the birds but at end of day we have to get the best man possable that we can find.

We have the players to get to South Africa but we need the right man to get them there

Stuttgart88
09/01/2008, 2:18 PM
Just curious why Klinsmann is so popular. He got Germany to the last 4 of a home tournament but has no experience of qualification, no club experience and was widely derided for spending nearly all his time in California.

I think he could do a decent job if he applied himself but has he been properly tested in management?

Hibernian
09/01/2008, 2:23 PM
Fair enough I understand what you are saying but I do rate him I did not rate that German team and he gave the country the belief that they could go on and win it even though they came up short.

I think he would have the respect of the players and the fact he lives away I dont think I would consider that a bad thing if he were willing to approch the job in a professional manner

Stuttgart88
09/01/2008, 2:30 PM
I probably share your gut instinct but it'd be a gamble.

On top of what you said, I thought Klinsmann did very well to change defensive tactics from the high line that was exploited badly against Costa rica(?) in the first game to a very mean defence that was very tight for the rest of the tournament (in fact until the recent dead rubber at home to the Czech Rep.). Maybe that was first night nerves but generally I thought Klinsmann set the team out very well during that tournament. Then again, having good players and brilliant home support does help!

Metrostars
09/01/2008, 2:40 PM
Klinsmann was in talks over taking the US job last year after Arena got the boot but the negotiations collapsed because he wanted full control of not only his own coaching staff, but the youth national teams and coaching supervisors as well.

Like the USSF, I'm sure the FAI would not want to relinquish full control either.

eirebhoy
09/01/2008, 2:45 PM
Last 6 posts moved from the Houllier thread.

zenokelly
09/01/2008, 2:50 PM
I always wanted Hodgson or Houllier to get the job and considering the former has been taken, I'm happy with this news. He is by far the most successful candidate in terms of trophies. His time in charge of Liverpool may not have been fantastic, but he still brought 3 trophies in 1 season, he brought them back to the CL and 2nd in the Prem.

This would be a real step forward if the FAI did appoint him, but could only see him sticking around for 1 campaign.

But I hate everyone on here picking out the bad points about every candidate. 99 % of managers will not have a clean slate through their managerial career. Barely anyone on here are actually positive about any candidate, other than maybe Hodgson.

This lad is a high callibre manager. FF's if the 3 man panel do appoint him.

*was moved from the Houllier thread for some reason.

Over the post
09/01/2008, 2:52 PM
Never fear, now we have Didier Deschamps coming up on the outside. He's already overtaken O'Leary and Giles and is breathing down Dalglish's neck.

Update: Deschamps now after jumping ahead of Dalglish and Hoddle; has he been seen around Merrion Square by any chance?

I reckon he'd make a good manager.

Block G Raptor
09/01/2008, 3:29 PM
Update: Deschamps now after jumping ahead of Dalglish and Hoddle; has he been seen around Merrion Square by any chance?

Unless he was waiting for a bus to abbottstown he was in the wrong place

Dr. Ogba
09/01/2008, 3:34 PM
eh, wrong again..

v cameroon started and finished game
v germany started and replaced in 73 min replaced by quinn - tactical sub
v saudi arabia started and replaced in 80 min by mcateer when we were 3 nil up!
v spain started and again replaced by quinn for tacctical reasons in 55 min

his game time in the 02 wc hardly smacks of an out of form player

For "tactical reasons" I see as "ineffective"

Its no coincidence that we went behind in every one of those matches (bar Saudis) as McCarthy had picked the wrong team and played the wrong tactics from the off in each game and only when we changed in the second half of these games did we in any way come back in to those matched.

But anyway I think we can agree to disagee on this one, suffice to say that I don't want McCarthy back as I don't rate him as a manager and never did even before Saipan...

Drumcondra 69er
09/01/2008, 4:08 PM
For "tactical reasons" I see as "ineffective"

Its no coincidence that we went behind in every one of those matches (bar Saudis) as McCarthy had picked the wrong team and played the wrong tactics from the off in each game and only when we changed in the second half of these games did we in any way come back in to those matched.

But anyway I think we can agree to disagee on this one, suffice to say that I don't want McCarthy back as I don't rate him as a manager and never did even before Saipan...

You must have been watching different games to me so. I was at each of those games and totally disagree that we made any major tatical changes against Cameroon (McAteer off injured at half time replaced by Finnan). Against Germany the change was to bring Quinn on to try something different agreed but the fact is that he didn't have 90 minutes in his legs so that was the only way he was going to be deployed. He was hardly going to start and get hauled off at half time was he? Ditto for the Spain game and you can't draw any conclussions from the Saudi Arabia game. I really don't know how you could say Kelly was ineffective in those games, while there were questions being asked over Harte's performances this wasn't the case with Kelly.

We'll agree to differ alright but I'd be interested to see what team you would have put out out of the squad of players left that actually wanted to represent their country on the world stage and what tactics you'd have used if McCarthy's team selection and tactics were so wrong.

As already stated I don't think he'd be the right appointment given the baggage at this stage but I can't agree with your assesment of him as a manager and believe it's rooted more in dislike for him over Saipan then any concrete facts.

eirebhoy
09/01/2008, 4:25 PM
Never fear, now we have Didier Deschamps coming up on the outside. He's already overtaken O'Leary and Giles and is breathing down Dalglish's neck.

I reckon he'd make a good manager.
Above post moved from the Mick McCarthy thread. Jesus lads, do you want 12 identical threads? :)

Over the post
09/01/2008, 4:43 PM
Looks like Allardyce has just been sacked. Another one for the list.

Jerry The Saint
09/01/2008, 4:48 PM
Looks like Allardyce has just been sacked. Another one for the list.

Newcastle United have parted company with manager Sam Allardyce, Sky Sports News understands.

More to follow...

BIG Sam a big-time contender. Very much a Jewell-type English grafter that the FAI seem to love. LOI experience will not help him get the job, given Delaney's self-confessed bias against managers from our own league, but may be used as a selling point for the appointment.

Over the post
09/01/2008, 4:54 PM
Allardyce has just jumped from 50-1 to 16-1.

Agree he's the grafter type and while that's how we've got our best results in the past, I'm not sure whether his style of football would stifle the talents of some of the young lads coming through.

Still, I'd take him ahead of most of the other misfits being touted as candidates.

irishfan86
09/01/2008, 6:03 PM
Really heartened by the fact that McCarthy and Houllier seem to be in the mix now.

While I don't think Deschamps would take the job, I would be over the moon if he did.

As for Big Sam, while I think he is a fantastic manager, I don't think he's the right guy to get the most of our flair-filled squad.

zenokelly
09/01/2008, 8:50 PM
Any chance of making a new poll with the current candidates? It would be interesting to know who the majority want now

geysir
09/01/2008, 9:38 PM
I haven't a clue about Deschamps. Why is there such positivity about him?
I know he had Monaco in the top 3, they were near bottom the season before he came.

He brought Juve back in the top league, can´t have been that hard? Was he thought to be a longer term Juve manager?

If Houllier is in the frame, I think he is the outstanding candidate.

We need a new poll. One last hurra from the supporters before the D Day.

dr_peepee
09/01/2008, 10:05 PM
Really heartened by the fact that McCarthy and Houllier seem to be in the mix now.

While I don't think Deschamps would take the job, I would be over the moon if he did.

As for Big Sam, while I think he is a fantastic manager, I don't think he's the right guy to get the most of our flair-filled squad.

Nah... On paper yeah he's a good option, but he'd just do a Laurie Sanchez/Walter Smith/Alex McLeish on us....

geysir
09/01/2008, 10:37 PM
How about a poll on this lot taken from the betting list

Big Sam Allardyce
Liam Brady
Kenny Dalglish
Didier Deschamps
Glenn Hoddle
Gerard Houllier
Mick McCarthy
David O'Leary
Graeme Souness
Terry Venables

Noelys Guitar
09/01/2008, 10:49 PM
How about a poll on this lot taken from the betting list

Big Sam Allardyce
Liam Brady
Kenny Dalglish
Didier Deschamps
Glenn Hoddle
Gerard Houllier
Mick McCarthy
David O'Leary
Graeme Souness
Terry Venables

Good idea. The list has changed completely

livehead1
09/01/2008, 11:20 PM
Yeh should narrow it down, theres a couple on there who won't get it. The next manager will never be liam brady for example...although the FAI are a strange bunch!