PDA

View Full Version : New Irish manager

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

dr_peepee
25/10/2007, 1:20 PM
Theres a world of difference between being a winner on the pitch and a winner off the pitch. Souness has fcuked up time and time again as a manager, do you really want someone like that managing our country? And before you say 'well he'd be better than Stan', think about it. Souness is one of the worst names thats in the running at this stage.

His record isn't that bad. Check it out.

I'm not saying he's the best manager by any stretch... Let's clarify this!!

I think he's the man to shake the apathy out of the squad.

jmurphyc
25/10/2007, 1:21 PM
I think you can presume a Dutch guy can speak English. They shoot people in Holland if they cannot speak English. :)

True. Didn't really think that through.

TheBoss
25/10/2007, 1:22 PM
But those times with Celtic and Brighton were over 10-15 years ago, I think that is a long time without managing a team.

jmurphyc
25/10/2007, 1:28 PM

He was supposed to shake the apathy out of the Newcastle squad and in my opinion he failed miserably. He's by no means the worst name being mentioned but that really doesn't say much at all. I wouldn't have him anywhere near the job. He's too old school.

onephillyhughes
25/10/2007, 1:33 PM

Newcastle brought him in to shake up the dressing room. Failed miserably. He's too much of a gamble considering his patchy record as a manager. Its been a decline since the heady days at rangers, where he had it fairly easy. We need a successful manager, a winner as a manager, not just as a player.

John83
25/10/2007, 1:43 PM
Russia got Guus Hiddink. What pedigree have they got since fall of USSR? Have barely qualified to major tournaments and when they have gotten there did sweet fa.
Chelski's oil baron is paying his wages.

dr_peepee
25/10/2007, 2:15 PM
Newcastle brought him in to shake up the dressing room. Failed miserably.

He's hardly alone on that one.

Even excluding Rangers he's done more than Coppell and Jewell who seem fairly high up on the voting.

I'm not doubting their pedigree as managers. I'm doubting their bottle. Say what you want about Souness, if he see's the need he'll drop Robbie Keane like allot here crave and derive the last two managers for not doing. (Not me mind you, just making a point in terms of bottle).

I don't particularly think he's great. Just at this point in time I think he's the right man for the job.... The h*** b****** that he is!!!

Schlooooomp
25/10/2007, 2:29 PM
The same **** that happened around Staunton's appointment is happening again. This should be a logical decision of selecting the best man available, not based on hunchs, feelings, subjective thoughts, etc. It angers me to see statements of the following type uttered:

* He has no experience but sure give him a go
* He was decent 15 years ago
* He is an ex player, he will bring lots of passion
* Cup football is like international football

John Delaney has stated that the FAI, financially is in a good position, now lets not sell ourselves short, we need a capable manager that has experience of international football.

Roy Hodgson
Leo Beenhaker
Otto Rehagel
Marcello Lippi
Giovanni Trapatonni

passinginterest
25/10/2007, 3:00 PM
Marcello Lippi

Looking to get back into management, but more or less ruled out a premiership side due to his lack of English (http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2824127,00.html). I presume this would also apply to the Ireland job.

*here come the it never stopped Stan jokes*

Schlooooomp
25/10/2007, 3:04 PM
Looking to get back into management, but more or less ruled out a premiership side due to his lack of English (http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2824127,00.html). I presume this would also apply to the Ireland job.

*here come the it never stopped Stan jokes*

God damn it, I can't believe that story just appeared on Football365 at around the same time that I add him to list of possible candidates for the Ireland Job.

Come on Marcello, we will throw in an english course as part of the deal.

Bluebeard
25/10/2007, 3:04 PM
Short list we should have

Roy Hodgson
Leo Beenhaker
Otto Rehagel
Marcello Lippi
Giovanni Trapatonni

Short list we will have with the current climate:
* Don Givens who doesn't want it anyway,but will go along to make up the numbers
* Eamonn Coughlan proven world class - Alan O'Brien guaranteed his start
* Gerry Ryan from RTE - 50/50 deal on wages, Croker to be filled with 40 yr old housewives
* Someone who looks remarkably like Steven Staunton in a false moustache
* Carlton Palmer Roddy as assistant - we had the dream team, now lets have the nightmare one

Marked Man
25/10/2007, 3:09 PM
In answer to the question about who those who voted 'other' want: I want Trousier.

Torn-Ado
25/10/2007, 3:21 PM
Call me pessimistic but I've got to the stage of negativity where I think, no matter who we get, nothing will change and we'll still be struggling against every team we play.

We're missing leadership all over the park and most of our players are technically inept. Only God can save us now.

jmurphyc
25/10/2007, 3:31 PM
Call me pessimistic but I've got to the stage of negativity where I think, no matter who we get, nothing will change and we'll still be struggling against every team we play.

I have to disagree. Now we're not going to get him, but can you honestly imagine us struggling against everyone if we had Mourinho. Staunton was not good enough. The managers that have been mentioned by people are far better than him, and whilst there is a problem with the players at the moment, that can be rectified with a decent manager. In regards to leadership, no we don't have anyone in the middle of the park with leadership but if Dunne is given the armband then we will have a leader. Just look at what he the way he goes about speaking to the media as opposed to Robbie Keane for example and this proves that he would be a BIG improvement.

Dr. Ogba
25/10/2007, 3:39 PM
I have to disagree. Now we're not going to get him, but can you honestly imagine us struggling against everyone if we had Mourinho. Staunton was not good enough. The managers that have been mentioned by people are far better than him, and whilst there is a problem with the players at the moment, that can be rectified with a decent manager. In regards to leadership, no we don't have anyone in the middle of the park with leadership but if Dunne is given the armband then we will have a leader. Just look at what he the way he goes about speaking to the media as opposed to Robbie Keane for example and this proves that he would be a BIG improvement.

Andy Reid is currently captain of Charlton. If he's given time I think he can become a leader in the middle of the park.

Torn-Ado
25/10/2007, 3:43 PM

It doesn't take a tactically astute manager to beat the likes of Cyprus and San Marino well. 11 randon Championship and Premiership players should be able to hammer these teams without a manager.

Mourinho was a great Chelsea manager. But he could also put his hand into the Chelsea pocket and pull out a wad of cash for the players. He won't be able to do much with players from Wolves and Charlton when up against a decent international side.

Five years, three managers and still these players are giving shoddy performances when playing for Ireland.

Bluebeard
25/10/2007, 3:50 PM
We're missing leadership all over the park and most of our players are technically inept. Only God can save us now.

Le Tissier has made no overtures towards any form of football management in the past or recently. I cannot see him turning things around even if he did.

passinginterest
25/10/2007, 3:54 PM
I just hope we get a character who can inspire us and bring the fun back.

I hear Steve Staunton is free, he could bring back Mick Byrne... no wait...

Bottle of Tonic
25/10/2007, 3:55 PM
I voted 'other'. Not really sure who. The likes of De Hann would be interesting. Also Houllier though I know people who follow liverpool closely give him plenty of stick.
Cant see the Polish or Greek managers leaving thier jobs for us when they are going to the euro's and is holding on for a year for a manager a good idea??? Co Adriannse (sp?) might be a gamble too far IMO.
Don't want Troussier - he has experience but most of it fannying about in Asia and africa (burkino faso :eek:) and Europe is a different ball park.Also don't like managers throwing their name in via the media - is almost always exactly the kind of guy you don't want, like players seeking transfers in the summer "such and such is interested in me" etc.

Bottom line I think we need to go continental. An experienced and, very importantly, respected( especially by the players) coach. I think the british style of football we play is not conducive to doing well in international football. We see it all the time playing the lesser lights of europe, the likes of the swiss, macedonia etc can all pass and move far better than us while we are concentrating on getting it wide and horsing a cross in. eventually.

Its asking a lot for a manager to come in and change our whole style of play, but with a British manager we are never going to progress and do well in tournaments IMO. And thats what we want isn't it - not just be there for the beer?!?! I think the foreign manager might make us a bit more savvy and streetwise in terms of going about and getting results esp away from home.
The only Brit there I wouldnt mind is Hodgson and thats cos he appears to have done most of his work outside British football.

shelbourne1904
25/10/2007, 3:56 PM
God damn it, I can't believe that story just appeared on Football365 at around the same time that I add him to list of possible candidates for the Ireland Job.

Come on Marcello, we will throw in an english course as part of the deal.

Thats fine but how will the Cork boys understand him!!:D

ken foree
25/10/2007, 3:59 PM
1 Poland 12 24
2 Portugal 12 23
3 Serbia 12 20
4 Finland 12 20
5 Belgium 12 15
6 Armenia 10 9
7 Kazakhstan 12 7
8 Azerbaijan 10 5

somewhat similar to our own group, the two names you'd probably expect to see at the top (perhaps not in that order) with some emerging nations causing a few hiccups along the way for the traditionally stronger sides. finland's form has been erratic but they recently beat poland away.

Schlooooomp
25/10/2007, 4:01 PM
Bottle Of Tonic, some interesting points. Also, don't want to seem fussy but would ya throw in a few paragraphs, it's probably me but I find it hard to read in single paragrahp. Sorry for seeming finicky :)

jmurphyc
25/10/2007, 4:09 PM
Five years, three managers and still these players are giving shoddy performances when playing for Ireland.

If it is the players and no manager that comes in can save us with this current crop of players then the answer is simple; get rid of the players who aren't willing to work hard for the cause. Maybe there always will be some kind of a problem with our players, but the next manager will surely be a huge improvement. Staunton didn't have a clue. I was in San Marino and saw that one of the problems with the team was that we weren't moving the ball up the park quick enough, consequently letting San Marino's players to get back and have a bit of organisation. Now surely if I can realise this then any manager would (bar Staunton of course) and we would have been able to beat them more easily.

Torn-Ado
25/10/2007, 4:11 PM
How long will it take to get someone?

January or February maybe?

backstothewall
25/10/2007, 5:34 PM
Coppell isn't interested

Steve Coppell, the Reading manager, has ruled himself out of the running for the Republic of Ireland job. The former England winger had been suggested as a possible replacement for Steve Staunton, who left the post on Tuesday following a disappointing Euro 2008 qualification campaign.

Coppell made it clear he had no plans to leave the Madejski Stadium just yet but admitted he had helped create the speculation by his comments in a television interview.

He said: “The stories are just people being mischievous but I did do an interview with Pat Dolan, who does the TV over there, and he asked about it.

"I just said the older I get the more international football appeals to me. Eight games a year - I could quite happily do that. I also happened to mention my grandmother was Irish so to all intents and purposes I qualify.”

Related Links
FAI employs new system to avoid Staunton saga
O’Leary in frame for Ireland
Stephen Hunt, Reading's Irish international midfield player, said the Football Association of Ireland might be able to tempt Coppell in a few seasons’ time. “He has enough on his hands here at the moment but maybe sometime down the line our manager might fancy it.” he said.

“Whoever gets the job will have a tough task on his hands," Hunt added. "We have to get playing again, get playing well and get the country behind us again because it was the press in Ireland that hounded the manager out and in the end the public supported the press and wanted him out.

“But that was never the case with the players. It was just a matter of putting on the shirt, being proud and trying to do our best. Unfortunately it didn’t work out that way in the last few games but we have to look forward now and wait for the new appointment.”

- The Times

ken foree
25/10/2007, 5:54 PM
what the bloody chr!st, if i hear one more person come out and say the fans followed the lead of the PRESS in getting rid of staunton i'll fu*king scream.

carloz
25/10/2007, 6:29 PM
Its in the papers today that Foppe de Haan said he would be interested i talkin to the FAI if they contacted him. If we could get an Irish person alongside him then I for one would be very happy

John83
25/10/2007, 6:36 PM
Short list we will have with the current climate:
* Someone who looks remarkably like Steven Staunton in a false moustache
I can just see it now: Staunton walks past a man slumped, bruised and bloody, against the side of Croker, "Hey, dat man dere, looks exactly like me!"

shakermaker1982
25/10/2007, 6:42 PM
if Steve Bruce got the push from Birmingham because of that foreign owner coming in would fans be interested? It's not a name I've seen banded about yet but I just saw an interview with him and you can tell he's worried about his job security.

CollegeTillIDie
25/10/2007, 7:24 PM
Marcello Lippi as head coach. Liam Brady as his interpreter :D

kingdom hoop
25/10/2007, 7:26 PM
I've voted for Roy, of Hodgson disambiguation. Part of my reasoning is based on his wealth of experience. I've seen a few people, I'll single Tuff Paddy out for the laugh, here have pot-shots at the elder lemons as being unsuitable. But if you look at pretty average international teams that have risen above mediocrity (ie what we want) a good few have been managed by fellas, if not necessarily really wrinkly and old, who had a long and varied management career, like Hodgson with Finland, Hiddink with whoever, Beenhakker with Poland, Rehhagel with Greece, and feck it we can probably even throw Kobi Kuhn in there. You'd imagine that they are stronger characters, commanding a bit more respect in the dressing room and generally are more suited to the international game than a younger pretender. Just thinking of it now, the last three winning WC managers had worn the block into more of a circular shape having gone around it a few times - Jacquet, Big Phil and Lippi.

I think Hodgson is very much worth pursuing if Finland don't qualify. Failing that option, some Dutch fella who knows his football like Co Adriaanse or Foppe de Haan would be great too as no English (league) or Irish candidate is jumping out at me as having the requisite mélange of panache and experience I think we need. Of the 'home' contenders, I like Jewell a lot but I'm unconvinced as to his suitability for the international arena. I wouldn't mind seeing him been given a chance, but I think he might be too much of a risk at a time when we should be minimising the riskiness of the selection as much as possible. :)

ken foree
25/10/2007, 7:57 PM
...as no English (league) or Irish candidate is jumping out at me as having the requisite mélange of panache and experience I think we need.

yes yes yes a thousand times yes.

Dr. Ogba
26/10/2007, 8:27 AM
Good post Kingdom. With Coppell ruling himself out now I'd love to see any one of Hodgson , Foppe De Haan or Co Adriaanse get the job...this is the sort of calibre and experience the FAI should be looking at...

lofty9
26/10/2007, 8:40 AM
Today FM reporting this morning that Glenn Hoddle is interested.

cavan_fan
26/10/2007, 8:44 AM
Good post Kingdom. With Coppell ruling himself out now I'd love to see any one of Hodgson , Foppe De Haan or Co Adriaanse get the job...this is the sort of calibre and experience the FAI should be looking at...

Any of these have Champions League semi final on their CV? David O'Leary does!

cavan_fan
26/10/2007, 8:45 AM
Today FM reporting this morning that Glenn Hoddle is interested.

Jesus what did we do in a previous life to deserve this

Dr. Ogba
26/10/2007, 8:48 AM
Any of these have Champions League semi final on their CV? David O'Leary does!

As I say, at the end of the day, I can't make out whether you're taking the p*ss or not! :p

dr_peepee
26/10/2007, 8:57 AM

:D:D Heh heh

Schlooooomp
26/10/2007, 9:32 AM

Brilliant :D:D:D

paul_oshea
26/10/2007, 9:57 AM
Here, are ye really that naive. Capail is not going to come out and say "oh ya id love the Ireland job", by saying 10 games a year, my grandmother is irish would be something more to read into than anything else.

If I were looking for a new job, I am not going to start telling the public or work colleagues in case my employer found out. Its called common sense lads.

Newryrep
26/10/2007, 1:32 PM

Does he speak good english ?
Does he have international experience ?
Does he have Sky and not just the God channel
Will he be respected ?
Can he be at every game checking out potential players ?
Is he a disciplinarian ?
Is he any good with the media
Will he f**k off as soon as a better job comes along
Can we sing any songs with his name in them ?
would he take the job ?
What about his assistants - the son and the holy ghost ?do we know anything about them

Give him an interview at least

co. down green
26/10/2007, 2:45 PM
http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=39776&pt=s

geysir
26/10/2007, 3:49 PM
Roy Keane
"Sympathy is too strong a word but I do appreciate what a tough job he had."

:D

paul_oshea
26/10/2007, 5:03 PM
Roy Keane
"Sympathy is too strong a word but I do appreciate what a tough job he had."

:D

Aka, "dont let me show any sign of weakness or empathy to that cnut, I still remember what he did to me in saipan" :D

When he says stuff like that I just lose more respect for him. Still bitter and twisted.

Paddy Garcia
26/10/2007, 8:14 PM
Only God can save us now.

Hoddle will do so.

CollegeTillIDie
26/10/2007, 10:17 PM
Mourinho voted the fans choice on Newstalk's Off The Ball.

jmurphyc
27/10/2007, 2:15 AM
Juande Ramos is free. Let's get him in! :D

Qwerty
27/10/2007, 9:42 PM
Mourinho voted the fans choice on Newstalk's Off The Ball.

Not just fanatical delusional as well.

John83
28/10/2007, 9:14 AM
Not just fanatical delusional as well.
I think most people suggesting him are pretty much aware that he'd be unlikely to say yes. I'd have no problem with the FAI asking him though. :P

co. down green
28/10/2007, 1:31 PM
Souness & Venables want Ireland job

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1028/sounessg.html