PDA

View Full Version : New Irish manager

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Bondvillain
22/01/2008, 1:09 PM
What we'll end up with for this match is a squad picked by Givens and a starting XI largely influenced by his opinion. I know it's only a minor friendly but it doesn't exactly give the new man the best platform to start from.

Given's told the Times on Sunday that he pretty much has carte blanche from the FAI to pick the squad for the Brazil game, and will most likely be managing on the day.

Why would he be in a huge hurry to force an appointment through?

By taking the job in the first place, he has quite clearly shown he doesnt give a damn what people think of him or his motives (Don gets to ask questions of the men who, if employed, hold his future in their hands. So, no loaded questions in THOSE interviews, eh? ) so why stop now when he gets to manage in a glamour friendly?

mackannovic
22/01/2008, 1:10 PM
The idea of an interview is a joke, it's not f**king (f@*king) Tescos. You set out your criteria and go after and offer the ideal man for the job. Interviews are insulting to top level managers, I can't help but laugh at the thoughts of Ray Houghton asking Gerard Houllier does he have any Hobbies or Interests and why he'd like to work for the FAI.

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 1:11 PM
I think he's a poor U21 manager but I think he's a decent sort and am happy to trust him. The FAI should have seen the "inelegance" of his role on the committee and asked someone else.

Wolfie
22/01/2008, 1:13 PM
I just wanted to have post 2007, in honour of the start of this process. By the way I think a good point was made on page 73, though I cant remember it

Page 73? Was it this? I think it certainly sums up the situation.

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=845002&postcount=1456

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 1:15 PM
The idea of an interview is a joke, it's not f**king (f@*king) Tescos. You set out your criteria and go after and offer the ideal man for the job. Interviews are insulting to top level managers, I can't help but laugh at the thoughts of Ray Houghton asking Gerard Houllier does he have any Hobbies or Interests and why he'd like to work for the FAI.I suspect the interview process was a little more in depth than that.

I don't have a major issue with the job interviews and certainly don't think they're insulting. How else can you establish what a candidate's views are on our players, the strengths & weaknesses of our team, what ideas they'd suggest to improve things and how well equipped they are to assess the international game which is a lot different to UK & Irish football?

NeilMcD
22/01/2008, 1:19 PM
One thing the interview process does is make sure you get rid of bluffers. If Venables had good knowlege of Irish players well then this would come to the test as I am sure Givens was able to ask him on this. However maybe Venables got the list of players from Howe who robbed it off Givens desk.

Bondvillain
22/01/2008, 1:20 PM
The FAI should have seen the "inelegance" of his role on the committee and asked someone else.

Perfect phrasing.

mackannovic
22/01/2008, 1:32 PM
I suspect the interview process was a little more in depth than that.

I don't have a major issue with the job interviews and certainly don't think they're insulting. How else can you establish what a candidate's views are on our players, the strengths & weaknesses of our team, what ideas they'd suggest to improve things and how well equipped they are to assess the international game which is a lot different to UK & Irish football?

Houllier has worked in international football with some of the best players in the world and has a knowledge of the English game which would give him a decent idea of what good Irish players are in the league. Asking a man who had transformed French football in the 90's how he can improve a ragtag operation is a joke. Just offer him the job and get this over with.

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 1:32 PM
And if he's not available?

mackannovic
22/01/2008, 1:37 PM
One thing the interview process does is make sure you get rid of bluffers. If Venables had good knowlege of Irish players well then this would come to the test as I am sure Givens was able to ask him on this. However maybe Venables got the list of players from Howe who robbed it off Givens desk.

You don't need knowledge of Irish players to do the job. If anything an objective point of view is exactly what we need. Maybe then Robbie Keanes immunity to substitution when he's playing brutal would dissapear. I seriously doubt Leo Beenhakker was an expert on the finer points of Trindad and Tobago football, do you?

mackannovic
22/01/2008, 1:38 PM
And if he's not available?

Find the next best man for the job. The sad thing was apparently he was available and did meet with the FAI.

Sonic
22/01/2008, 1:40 PM
Its gone on way too long!! Does anyone Care anymore I dont!!!!!

NeilMcD
Well if the reason Houllier does not want the job because he refused to be interviewed well then **** off Houllier.

NeilMcD
Its gone on way too long!! Does anyone Care anymore I dont!!!!!

Yeah we do because we are supporter of the Irish team, if you dont care, well then you are not a supporter.

Reddladd
22/01/2008, 2:06 PM
Brady joint favourite with Houllier at 15/8 with Venables drifting out to 4/1. So will it be 'chippy'????

geysir
22/01/2008, 2:26 PM
I am not convinced by the amount of money coming in on Brady so far today at Betfair. It's about £15,000 staked today, similar to what has been staked on the the other 2.

I remember (way way back) in my 5 minute career guidance interview in Secondary School, I told the bluffer that I wanted to open up a betting shop and become a bookie (second choice - a hairdressing salon).

Dr. Ogba
22/01/2008, 4:17 PM
From eleven-a-side.com branded EXCLUSIVE but doesn't seem to have any substance whatsoever...might as well have been posted by some punter on a random football forum ;)

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=30715

colster
22/01/2008, 4:21 PM
From eleven-a-side.com branded EXCLUSIVE but doesn't seem to have any substance whatsoever...might as well have been posted by some punter on a random football forum ;)

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=30715

Folks, just wondering whether the announcement tonight is to do with the Director of International Performance and not the Manager position and that in fact Liam Brady will be announced as the DOIP and eventually Houllier as manager.

soccerc
22/01/2008, 4:22 PM

Exclusive my arse!, looks like they had a look here (http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/content/view/86/1/)

NeilMcD
22/01/2008, 4:26 PM
Well one think if we had Houllier as Manager and Brady as DOIP we would certainly be going places. Both of these have records of working and developing players and seeing the long term over short term gain.

Dr. Ogba
22/01/2008, 4:28 PM
Exclusive my arse!, looks like they had a look here (http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/content/view/86/1/)

ha, don't shoot the messenger soccerc, just bringing the news to the wider audience! :)

I agree that a Houllier manager and Brady DOIP would be a fantastic combo, wouldn't hold me breath though...

colster
22/01/2008, 4:28 PM
Well one think if we had Houllier as Manager and Brady as DOIP we would certainly be going places. Both of these have records of working and developing players and seeing the long term over short term gain.

Have to agree. That would be fantastic if it occurred.

NeilMcD
22/01/2008, 4:29 PM
ha, don't shoot the messenger soccerc, just bringing the news to the wider audience! :)

I agree that a Houllier manager and Brady DOIP would be a fantastic combo, wouldn't hold me breath though...

Chatsoccer is much better than elevenaside, so there. !!!

cheifo
22/01/2008, 4:37 PM
From reading through posts its seems people see Houllier as a man who will bring a bigger vision to the role regarding future development.I am a little
sceptical whether a national team manager can achieve that given the amount of time they spend with the players.
I want a manager who can organise and motivate the team in the 2/3 days he
spends with the players(was'nt Klinsman based in Germany).
For that reason Del Boy would be my choice because I think our players would respond far better to him than Houllier.I am open to arguement though and I think whatever the appointment a huge improvement in our approach is inevitable.

colster
22/01/2008, 4:46 PM
From reading through posts its seems people see Houllier as a man who will bring a bigger vision to the role regarding future development.I am a little
sceptical whether a national team manager can achieve that given the amount of time they spend with the players.
I want a manager who can organise and motivate the team in the 2/3 days he
spends with the players(was'nt Klinsman based in Germany).
For that reason Del Boy would be my choice because I think our players would respond far better to him than Houllier.I am open to arguement though and I think whatever the appointment a huge improvement in our approach is inevitable.

Don't think that's the case. Houllier was well able to motivate and organise the Liverpool team that won the treble in 2000 - 2001.

geysir
22/01/2008, 4:46 PM
No mention about Brady in the Chatsoccer article.
And Chatsoccer writes that Houllier had officially withdrawn, source?
Chatsoccer didn't get that link to that exclusive interview with Gerard. :)

Stuttgart88
22/01/2008, 5:32 PM
In fairness to chatsoccer and its main patron, the Brady as Director of Intl Performance likelihood has been consistently touted.

It'd be quite a combo on paper. A bit like both Reids in midfield - great in principle!

DmanDmythDledge
22/01/2008, 5:49 PM
According to Tony O'Donaghue Brady was offered either the manager's job or director of international performance last night and turned it down.

Coltron
22/01/2008, 6:01 PM
As an aside:
As a regular Irish fan I would love to see Brady as manager ahead of Houllier. Management capabilities aside for a moment: one is Irish and one is French. I am in two minds about this campaign - to go or not. I plan to go to the some of the away games at least and I would love to go supporting something Irish. The thought of going with Houllier as manager is a alright but with Brady I'd really want to see us do well and him especially to do well as manager. Never been to an away game so maybe I'm getting all nationalistic. But in a choice between Liam Brady and Gerard Houllier - give me Chippy for any game of a campaign. I hope the FAI do. Do any of you have this feeling too?

Noelys Guitar
22/01/2008, 6:10 PM
According to Tony O'Donaghue Brady was offered either the manager's job or director of international performance last night and turned it down.

Was that just on RTE? I am listening to Newstalk

Bondvillain
22/01/2008, 6:18 PM
Apparently the Ghost of Ferenc Puskas was seen having a slash with John Delaney outside Break for the Border last Saturday, so he's a Shoo-in for the gig.

Mate told me. His brothers girlfriend's boss told him. His brother works in a photocopy place. 100% Guaranteed.

DmanDmythDledge
22/01/2008, 6:25 PM
Was that just on RTE? I am listening to Newstalk
Yeah, was on the 6.01 news at around 6.50pm.

Noelys Guitar
22/01/2008, 6:38 PM
Yeah, was on the 6.01 news at around 6.50pm.

Just watched it. That has to be Venables that O'D was talking about. O'D said that a candidate either withdrew ovenight or has contract issues. That would explain Venables odds tumbling to 10/1.

geysir
22/01/2008, 6:40 PM
That info would in a way support the betting pattern today on Brady for manager, an orgy of bets before running out of steam.
Being appointed director wouldn´t validate any bet.

A decent bit of steady money on Hoddle and Dalglish today - saver bets?
Only a few quid staked on Tigana.

Lack of furthur leaks suggest that their will be no announcement tonight

LeviathanNI
22/01/2008, 6:50 PM
I thought there was an announcement due any minute?

Noelys Guitar
22/01/2008, 6:52 PM
That info would in a way support the betting pattern today on Brady for manager, an orgy of bets before running out of steam.
Being appointed director wouldn´t validate any bet.

A decent bit of steady money on Hoddle and Dalglish today - saver bets?
Only a few quid staked on Tigana.

Lack of furthur leaks suggest that their will be no announcement tonight

I can't see Houllier changing his mind about the job just because he will be in Ireland on Friday. Venables has possibly withdrawn. Brady was never going to get the job. So we are back with the usual, usual suspects ie Hoddle, Dalglish and even Souness.

shakermaker1982
22/01/2008, 6:59 PM
I'd take Brady over Hoddle or Kenny. I reckon the 3 amigo's will try and wear down Houllier. If that fails then it's El Tel or Brady.

onceahoop
22/01/2008, 8:00 PM
There was supposed to be a statement at 8 p.m.

No sign yet.

eirebhoy
22/01/2008, 8:03 PM
Statement from FAI Board of Management

Speaking on behalf of his colleagues, Don Howe and Ray Houghton, Don Givens gave the 10 Board members an outline of the process to date. This was the first report to the Board since the selection panel was appointed and mandated.

The Board is satisfied that significant progress has been made but understands that more time is required before the panel return with a recommendation. The Board accepted that there had been positive engagement with a significant number of candidates.

The Board is confident that the search for a new manager for the Republic of Ireland senior team will be concluded in the near future.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2755

keenanboy
22/01/2008, 8:09 PM
Do do do do do do do do do do!!!!!

Absolute monkeys.

Armando
22/01/2008, 8:13 PM
Statement from FAI Board of Management

Speaking on behalf of his colleagues, Don Howe and Ray Houghton, Don Givens gave the 10 Board members an outline of the process to date. This was the first report to the Board since the selection panel was appointed and mandated.

The Board is satisfied that significant progress has been made but understands that more time is required before the panel return with a recommendation. The Board accepted that there had been positive engagement with a significant number of candidates.

The Board is confident that the search for a new manager for the Republic of Ireland senior team will be concluded in the near future.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2755

So, Tony o'Donogue was right on six-one earlier.
When asked what he thought would be the significant development announced in this evenings statement he replied with an exasperated chuckle - 'Nothing'.

The FAI really don't make it easy for themselves. John Delaney falls out of the trees announcing there will be a significant announcement at the meeting and then they come out with that press release:confused:

boovidge
22/01/2008, 8:14 PM
thank Christ the FAI have cleared that up. I can sleep easy tonight now.

onceahoop
22/01/2008, 8:25 PM
Muppets, the whole lot of them. Delaney has just reinforced my view of him.

Significant announcement? What a moron.

Ringo
22/01/2008, 8:26 PM
thank Christ the FAI have cleared that up. I can sleep easy tonight now.

it a joke at this stage. Will we ever have a manager. What class of idiots are ruuning the show. where maxi.........its a faraaaaaaace.:mad:

eekers
22/01/2008, 8:31 PM
i dont see what the problem is? can you lot really not wait another few weeks for an announcement? or would you rather that they announced another muppet was put in charge tonight?

geysir
22/01/2008, 8:32 PM
I can't see Houllier changing his mind about the job just because he will be in Ireland on Friday. Venables has possibly withdrawn. Brady was never going to get the job. So we are back with the usual, usual suspects ie Hoddle, Dalglish and even Souness.
Any guesses as to who will be tomorrows favourite.
This betting market provides the real entertainment.

Maroon 7
22/01/2008, 8:37 PM
Bookies will be happy anyway.

Jerry The Saint
22/01/2008, 8:38 PM
Lovely stuff - "Tonight's announcement is to announce that there will be no announcement". The FAI is a living cliché :)

Noelys Guitar
22/01/2008, 8:44 PM
"Bookies offer amigos massive bonus shocker"

Jerry The Saint
22/01/2008, 8:58 PM
The expense account must be marvellous for this gig. Uh yeah, John, we got a great tip about a brilliant manager working down in the Bahamas...