PDA

View Full Version : New Irish manager

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51

Noelys Guitar
03/02/2008, 7:23 PM
Radio 5 are saying Big Sam's advisors have contacted the FAI and he wants to be considered for the job. They are saying that is the reason for the delay! Surely not.

beautifulrock
03/02/2008, 7:30 PM
This is a trouser dropping farce, an episode of something similar was dropped from Blackadder for being too farcial :(

ruben_sosa
03/02/2008, 7:30 PM
Trappatoni has a fine CV but he no speka da english, I'm sorry but if the coach can't communicate with the players mano-a-mano then I don't see it working out.

Rubbish. Gus Hiddink didn't learn Korean or Russian. If Trapa can learn German then he'll have no problem picking up English.

co. down green
03/02/2008, 7:31 PM
Radio 5 are saying Big Sam's advisors have contacted the FAI and he wants to be considered for the job. They are saying that is the reason for the delay! Surely not.

The whole process has been a total farce..and still it goes on.

Sam Allardyce..please God no.

Noelys Guitar
03/02/2008, 7:32 PM
There has been a considerable cooling on Trapp over the past few hours with Big Sam's name cropping up as a probable contender along with Sanchez.

Reports also suggest El Tel remains confident

What is the latest news soccerc? Why are the FAI cooling on Trapp? Is he stringing them along?

Murpholini
03/02/2008, 7:57 PM
Eoin Hand to come back as manager in a Bobby Ewing type scenario. Just stuck ten euro on him. Bobby that is..

geysir
03/02/2008, 8:15 PM
Exactly. Something has happened with Trappottoni. Maybe he does not want to be interviewed and wants to be offered the job (which to me is fair enough). Maybe Givens annoyed him when they spoke on the phone. Delaney should be talking to Trapp's not Givens.
There is no way that they would be interviewing Trapattoni for the job. It would be a question of a meeting to work out the details of job description/commitments/salary and contract.
Whats gone wrong?
Maybe Delaney got overexcited and ejaculated the expectation of positive news prematurely, first with Houllier now Trapattoni.
Maybe Delaney the politician was in too much of a hurry to get it all done before the big awards night and have the news beamed live on RTE.

Blue-Army
03/02/2008, 8:25 PM
Well...nobody else wants him..... Strange...He didn't want the job a month ago!!!!....the fool must have thought that he'd get another job in the Premiership, but since nothing's come up he's changed his mind.

lopez
03/02/2008, 8:29 PM
Couldn't Tony Cascarino be the translator? :D

ken foree
03/02/2008, 8:29 PM
Trappatoni has a fine CV but he no speka da english, I'm sorry but if the coach can't communicate with the players mano-a-mano then I don't see it working out.

you know that means "hand to hand" right? just saying like :p

eirebhoy
03/02/2008, 8:59 PM
I know this betting market is mad but it might be interesting to see what happens the odds in the next 24 hours. Givens would have surely had to go into a bit of detail at tonights meeting so that info will spread. Trap is currently evens with Venables out to 3/1.

Qwerty
03/02/2008, 9:29 PM
Rubbish. Gus Hiddink didn't learn Korean or Russian. If Trapa can learn German then he'll have no problem picking up English.

The players can speak English, unlike us they actually learn foreign languages in school. It makes things more difficult. I know our players already struggle with English and everybody struggled to under Stan. Personally I have great difficulty in understanding Robbie Keane.

Noelys Guitar
03/02/2008, 9:31 PM
I know this betting market is mad but it might be interesting to see what happens the odds in the next 24 hours. Givens would have surely had to go into a bit of detail at tonights meeting so that info will spread. Trap is currently evens with Venables out to 3/1.

That makes sense. And I'm sure the journos will pickup on any gossip at the awards dinner.

Qwerty
03/02/2008, 9:31 PM
you know that means "hand to hand" right? just saying like :p

You see where pidgin eye-talian gets you :)

geysir
03/02/2008, 10:01 PM
There is only one whose CV compares on any level with Trapattoni, that is Paddy Mulligan, who was born on St Patricks Day.

Noelys Guitar
03/02/2008, 11:59 PM
Dunne wants Venables.
http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=soccer-qqqa=sport-qqqid=54328-qqqx=1.asp

eekers
04/02/2008, 12:09 AM
don givens is gonna have fun with the ireland squad!
i'd love if someone told him to feckoff to italy, talk to trapattoni, and not to be worrying himself attempting to manage us.

Bondvillain
04/02/2008, 12:12 AM
Dunne wants Venables.
http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=soccer-qqqa=sport-qqqid=54328-qqqx=1.asp

It's not quite as cut-and-dried as the "Dunne Wants Venables" comment suggests.

I read it as : When pressed by a reporter to give his "Choice A or Choice B" approval to one of two candidates while attending a function, Dunne answered by simply expressing a preference for someone "like" Venables over Trappatoni, primarily, it seems, due to a percieved language barrier.

"Personally, I would prefer someone we can communicate with, like Venables.

we’ve only got two games after this week so we need someone who can get his point across quickly."

Ergo, the translation of this statement is, again, NOT a ringing endorsement of Football's own Frank Butcher, but rather more like an exasperated "I dont care who the feck it is. I just want this crap over with as soon as possible."

A Sentiment with no little support on this board at least, if not in FAI fairyland.

Deckydee
04/02/2008, 7:31 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/players-will-quit-1280777.html

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/smoke-without-fire-as-fai--selection-farce-continues-1280686.html

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=54328-qqqx=1.asp

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=30896

http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/index.php/Republic-of-Ireland/Trapattoni-or-Venables.html

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=30891

http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/index.php/Republic-of-Ireland/FAI-made-illegal-approach-to-Trapattoni.html

This is my favourite:

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/02/03/Internat-Staunton-not-impressed-by-Trap/

Stuttgart88
04/02/2008, 8:41 AM
It's not quite as cut-and-dried as the "Dunne Wants Venables" comment suggests.Almost every so-called endorsement of Venables so far has been anything but, but in Dunne's case I think it's pretty clear cut. 2 candidates, not much time...

As the race is now between Trapattoni and Venables, Dunne stated that due to the timeframe involved his preference would be for the latter.

“Personally I would probably prefer someone we can communicate with. That'd be Venables. I don't know how good Trapattoni's English is. We've only got two games after Brazil so we need someone who can get their point across pretty quickly.”

eekers
04/02/2008, 8:57 AM
you cant blame dunne for that. like most people he fears the unknown element and would perfere to stay in his comfort zone. it just proves players should have no say in the selection of a manager.
would robbie keane have thought it was a good idea to sack jol and bring ramos in? balls he would.

Bondvillain
04/02/2008, 10:24 AM
Almost every so-called endorsement of Venables so far has been anything but, but in Dunne's case I think it's pretty clear cut. 2 candidates, not much time...

As the race is now between Trapattoni and Venables, Dunne stated that due to the timeframe involved his preference would be for the latter.

“Personally I would probably prefer someone we can communicate with. That'd be Venables. I don't know how good Trapattoni's English is. We've only got two games after Brazil so we need someone who can get their point across pretty quickly.”

That's what I was getting at. It wasn't a "Dunne wants Venables" statement. It was seemingly a forced choice between two candidates, one of whom (Trappatoni) I dont even really believe is in the frame anyway.

And, perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but there are subtle differences in the same Dunne quotes from todays newspapers:

"Personally I would probably prefer someone we can communicate with. That'd be Venables."
"Personally, I would prefer someone we can communicate with, like Venables."

The latter, with it's hesitance, would lead me, as a reader, to believe that he'd have to think about it before even selecting Venables from a field of one.

The process is a farce, the FAI are incompetent, and the media are being either sloppy or selective in their reporting.

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 10:38 AM
I know I called Cathal Dervan a muppet yesterday but he must have some good contacts with the players as he got what happened yesterday evening spot on. One that no manager would be announced. (chatsoccer had it first though) and secondly that the players were annoyed and that they may threaten to retire etc which Dunne has hinted too also.

Why do the players trust crap journalists rather than good ones.

Bondvillain
04/02/2008, 10:49 AM
he must have some good contacts with the players as he got what happened yesterday evening spot on. One that no manager would be announced. (chatsoccer had it first though)

In fairness, it's the FAI. Dead people could have called that one.

and secondly that the players were annoyed and that they may threaten to retire etc which Dunne has hinted too also.

He knew about Finnan & Got lucky with the timing of Givens' unprofessional leak about O Brien?

That'd be my guess, but hey!, maybe Givens has his ear...

tetsujin1979
04/02/2008, 11:05 AM
Short interview with Dunne on Sky Sports, plus some input from Stan: http://www.skysports.com/video/0,20285,12606_3108119,00.html

Dunne doesn't seem to endorse any candidate, just he'd prefer that he speaks English.

Stan starts off making a decent point, and then descends into gibberish "does he know the Irish, 'cause I think we're different".

geysir
04/02/2008, 12:12 PM
In fairness, it's the FAI. Dead people could have called that one.
Most here were skeptical that there would be any announcement.
I wouldn´t have offered more generous odds than 1/50 that it was wishful thinking.
It is my belief that the 10 man board should be handcuffed - mouths sealed with duct tape until the panel have their man.
If Delaney was following established procedures, information about any candidate should have been forwarded to the panel and let them get on with it.
It looks like we had the Panel not knowing what the Fai were up to.
What is the motivation around these leaks, significant announcements - names of managers floating around as a done deal before the deal is anywhere near done.
To me it has the hallmark of Delaney, this time tempted by the televised FAI Gala and the chance to introduce a glamour name to whoops of delight.
Now he has just added his panic, extra chaos and unprofessionalism to an already fragile process.

carloz
04/02/2008, 1:26 PM
Maybe it was just me, but did Don Gives seem quite happy the manager was appointed last night. He had a glow about him at the awards and then came out with this beaut 'I dont want to hear any more talk about a new manager till Thursday, I have a team to prepare for the Brazil game.'
He ****ing got what he wanted and he gets to lead the team out for that glamour friendly, its a ****ing joke. Plus if Traps drops out we are exactly where we were when Stan was sacked.

Bondvillain
04/02/2008, 1:29 PM
Plus if Traps drops out we are exactly where we were when Stan was sacked.

Im assuming that's "out of contention".

Have I missed the bit where Traps has said that he's "In"?

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 1:36 PM
Im assuming that's "out of contention".

Have I missed the bit where Traps has said that he's "In"?

Bondvillian I think you are being naive to think that this whole negotiation will be done in public. NO manager is going to say they are interested in the job if they are already in employment esp one with Traps record. This will be behind the scenes negotiations with numbers being passed around etc.

Also to be fair to Givens he is right, the time now is to talk about the game and he has to put his caretaker managers hat on and not his head of the selection panel hat on.

Bondvillain
04/02/2008, 2:02 PM
Bondvillian I think you are being naive to think that this whole negotiation will be done in public. NO manager is going to say they are interested in the job if they are already in employment esp one with Traps record. This will be behind the scenes negotiations with numbers being passed around etc.

Naive? Ta, but I prefer cautious. I just dont understand this generally accepted "confirmation of certain inclusion" that some bored hack's musings seem to automatically bestow on prospective candidates. I would have no objections to Trap, but I personally feel that Brendan O Carroll is just as likely to get the gig.

I mean, I dont want a photo of him outside Abbotstown wearing an aran sweater & swigging a guinness, but I personally have seen no evidence to suggest that Mr Trapattoni has spoken with anyone or would be remotely interested in leaving Saltzburg to take on a fundamentally unrewarding (to begin with, at least) pressure cooker job on the egde of the Atlantic at the age of 68, but on the other hand I've seen him issue statements (http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2008/0130/1201501770229.html) to say that he is not, but is bemused by the rumour.

My initial point was that these announcements ,which people were certain would be Trapattoni related, were almost certainly not.

The repeated cancellations and fumblings by Givens leads me to believe that neither the FAI nor the interview board really know who's in the running anymore. Delaney probably wanted a marquee candidate to unveil at the Lovely Girls competition in Citywest last night, but the interview board couldn't produce an interested candidate.

I didn't believe Houllier was interested, ditto Dechamps, Tigana or any other red hot betfair favourite. I dont believe Trapattoni is either, but his name being brought up in the louche media is useful, because his inclusion & general acceptability has created a fundamentally empty "will he / wont he" smokescreen enabling the 3 stooges to buy time to produce a "plan B" alternative to Venables, seemingly the only man actually still interested in the gig.

Noelys Guitar
04/02/2008, 2:09 PM
George Graham is 10/1 on P.Powers. Another attempt to give Brady a position? I'm with Bondvillain on Trapps, Houllier etc. I don't believe they were ever interested in taking the job. Before Charlton took over Brian Clough stated he was interested in the job. As it turned out he wanted a better contract at Forest and was using the FAI interest as a bargaining chip.

Deckydee
04/02/2008, 2:20 PM
Would not be against George Graham

bennocelt
04/02/2008, 2:40 PM
If Trapattoni is appointed, then we may have to retire one of the great excuses for the failures of recent history of Irish soccer - "it's the manager's fault".

If Trapattoni fails (and please God he, or whoever is appointed, will not fail) then we as a nation will have to hold up our hands and say "you know what, maybe the players just aren't good enough to qualify". How could we blame a man with league titles in four different countries, who has won every single European and World club trophy, for failure?

you obviously didnt see Trap in charge of a good Italian team. Should have done much better, boring and predictable.
I like to go on what I see rather than stats

Stuttgart88
04/02/2008, 2:42 PM
Would not be against George GrahamI would. Vehemently. The game has changed so much since he was last involved. Mind you, our set pieces would improve immeasurably!

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 2:43 PM
Did you not see him winning all those trophies with Juve, Inter, Bayern, Benfica and Salzburg or are you making ill informed opinions based on see Italy at 2002 and 2004 major Championships, so that was 6 games in total.

bennocelt
04/02/2008, 3:04 PM
Did you not see him winning all those trophies with Juve, Inter, Bayern, Benfica and Salzburg or are you making ill informed opinions based on see Italy at 2002 and 2004 major Championships, so that was 6 games in total.

No, I didnt exactly catch the juventus ones, did you?

But at Bayern he didnt last too long, did he?
Benfica and Salzburg.....so can you please describe how he managed that then? I would love to hear it.

You know Linfields Jim Jefferies has won some many titles, thats a fact. Maybe he should go for the irish job too!

As i said he was very poor with that Italian team, and that was his last major outing.
So will he be a success with our lot? I doubt it

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 3:09 PM
He won the league at Bayern and at Salzburg and at Benfica and he won several leagues at Juve and a European Cup. They are not just stats they are facts and they happened in life and some of them are very recent as in last year. As I said he qualifed twice with Italy and he was in my opinion robbed both other times by dodgy referees and also by match fixing by the Swedes and Danes.

dr_peepee
04/02/2008, 3:10 PM
Jayzus lads..

Fact is if we look hard enough we're gonna find fault and have some reservations with every possible manager aside from the Fergusons and Mourinho's of this world. Lets reign in our ideas here and compare his to the CV's of every other irish manager let alone those options available to us now. Way up the pro's and cons of Trapps appointment. That's not denying some of your reservations, just look at this objectively and compare with the alternatives.

Over the post
04/02/2008, 3:15 PM
Jayzus lads..

Fact is if we look hard enough we're gonna find fault and have some reservations with every possible manager aside from the Fergusons and Mourinho's of this world. Lets reign in our ideas here and compare his to the CV's of every other irish manager let alone those options available to us now. Way up the pro's and cons of Trapps appointment. That's not denying some of your reservations, just look at this objectively and compare with the alternatives.

Don't get me started on Ferguson and Mourinho...:D

NeilMcD
04/02/2008, 3:15 PM
I heard that Fergusons man management is not great and he also bough Veron and a few other dudds to I am not sure about him either, and Mourinhio did not get the best out in Duff so I am not sure about him either.

:)

dr_peepee
04/02/2008, 3:19 PM
Ferguson eh!!.... Two words.... Djemba Djemba!!!

Stuttgart88
04/02/2008, 7:42 PM
I think that's one word, twice.

Noelys Guitar
04/02/2008, 8:03 PM
According to Matt Cooper (LW Todayfm) the 3 amigos selected Venables. Delaney then informed the amigos that HE had been talking with Trapp's. This has become a saving face exercise for Deleney.

Scram
05/02/2008, 11:48 AM
Bertie Vogts to be considered for Ireland job?

Block G Raptor
05/02/2008, 11:49 AM
What just an opinion or have you a source or a link?

Larks
05/02/2008, 11:59 AM
it looks like a question, does it not????????

shakermaker1982
05/02/2008, 12:05 PM
how did he get on with Scotland again?

NeilMcD
05/02/2008, 12:11 PM
I was thinking of putting that up for a laugh but I thought better of it. It wont happen and it cant happen.

bennocelt
05/02/2008, 2:26 PM
He won the league at Bayern and at Salzburg and at Benfica and he won several leagues at Juve and a European Cup. They are not just stats they are facts and they happened in life and some of them are very recent as in last year. As I said he qualifed twice with Italy and he was in my opinion robbed both other times by dodgy referees and also by match fixing by the Swedes and Danes.

yeah god man i know they are facts!!

But fact is Kerr won a LOI, and I bet some Mexican wizard has won a bag loads of titles way off in Mexico City. And can you believe it that O Shea has a few EPL champs medals as well!! Wow.....proves nothing

I am just going on what I saw for myself, the football under Trap with Italy was a joke, a waste of pure talent in a bad world cup.

And you still havent answered my question..............have you seen Benfica/Salzburg/Munich play under Trap? Because seeing a football match rather than losing the run of yourself with stats usually works wonders!

I formed my opinion from watching Trap and Italy. How did you form yours?

Metrostars
05/02/2008, 2:45 PM
yeah god man i know they are facts!!

But fact is Kerr won a LOI, and I bet some Mexican wizard has won a bag loads of titles way off in Mexico City. And can you believe it that O Shea has a few EPL champs medals as well!! Wow.....proves nothing

I am just going on what I saw for myself, the football under Trap with Italy was a joke, a waste of pure talent in a bad world cup.

And you still havent answered my question..............have you seen Benfica/Salzburg/Munich play under Trap? Because seeing a football match rather than losing the run of yourself with stats usually works wonders!

I formed my opinion from watching Trap and Italy. How did you form yours?

TBH its more important to win than to play pretty football...