PDA

View Full Version : New Irish manager

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

jbyrne
22/11/2007, 10:48 AM
Great post, ye know, it could well be that. We don't get time in muddy pitches to hold the ball up and pass it around as ye lose possession to easily, so told to "boot it up the field, get rid of that fcuken thing and stop messing round". Whereas our continental counterparts play about with it on the ground and hold it up, and are very good in tight areas.

it is slightly wrong to assume that our pitches are any worse than those on the continent. if you talk to any spanish young lad, for example, they will tell you that the pitches they played on were usually hard, dusty and bumby surfaces. any foreign lads from spain, south italy etc that have joined the club i play for are delighted to see a bit of grass when they come to play here. obviously not comparable with players playing club / international level but all players in a country will start off playing on such pitches until they are nabbed by a professional club.

i think that the lack of technical ability is more to do with culture, tradition and what the crowds attending the matches expect. the british footballing public, for example, wouldnt have the patience for the style of play as seen in the italian or spanish lges. rather they expect the ball to be lumped forward at 100 miles an hour and expect the ball to be pinging around the pen area for 90 mins

Pád Von Tirpitz
22/11/2007, 10:55 AM
If Venables gets the Ireland job my heart will be broken. I don't think I could take it. I'd seriously consider stopping going to Ireland games. The man is a fraud and a sham and it's not just that he has no links to Ireland (that's fine by me) it's that he appears somehow the opposite of everything you'd want in an Irish manager or indeed an Irishman. I can't imagine him even having Irish friends other than bejewelled property developers.

I didn't think I could hate Independent Newspapers any more than I already did, but I do now.

eirebhoy
22/11/2007, 10:58 AM
Technically, English and Irish players are not as good as their continental counter-parts.
I don't think technique is the problem. England have some of the best passers in the world. They have some skillful players too. What they're missing is the playmakers, the brains. That's where the fabulous one touch passing comes from of the better continental teams.

Anyway, I can't believe Venables is favourite. I really hope the FAI have sense here.

colster
22/11/2007, 11:02 AM
After last night I think Delaney's reported preference for a "non British/Irish" focused manager may be spot on.
I think we need to re-focus our game. When you look at Croatia last night. They had no qualms in playing Modric a very skillful but slight player. IMO he was the best player on the pitch. We have a couple of players in A.Reid and S.Ireland, while not as good as Modric, we have struggled to integrate both of them into the side. I think this is down to the "British" mentality of not trusting these types of players i.e. "lazy" players.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2007, 11:05 AM
The rest of the side was big and athletic though. Kovac in midfield is a giant! And 36 years old.

geysir
22/11/2007, 11:56 AM
Will the joke be on us after cheering the Croats to the rafters?

colster
22/11/2007, 12:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Queiroz

Would he be a good selection as manager? He's had great success at Youth Level for Portugal. Has manage South Africa and Real Madrid. Has good English. Probably has a good knowledge of Irish players in the Premiership.

tetsujin1979
22/11/2007, 12:39 PM
Good article this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/martin_samuel/article2910642.ece
Not really sure what thread to post it in, this seemed a best fit

Stuttgart88
22/11/2007, 12:55 PM
Will the joke be on us after cheering the Croats to the rafters?Some of the candidates being proposed will have me hanging from the rafters.

jmurphyc
22/11/2007, 12:55 PM
I don't think technique is the problem. England have some of the best passers in the world. They have some skillful players too. What they're missing is the playmakers, the brains. That's where the fabulous one touch passing comes from of the better continental teams.

Anyway, I can't believe Venables is favourite. I really hope the FAI have sense here.

Technique is definitely the problem IMO. Whilst England have players who can accurately pass the ball, they don't really have anyone with any great vision. Beckham is a fantastic passer but IMO he hasn't got much vision. Gerrard is probably their player with the most vision. Without vision, and like you say, brains, you can thread accurate passes all game but you won't get far with it.

We have a better player in this regard (probably going to get slaughtered for this) in Andy Reid. Look at the goal he set up for Keane at home to Israel. England players wouldn't be able to do that very often.

Last night I was flicking between the England and NI games and it struck me just how much better Spain were playing in this regard than England. They were threading passes together with ease and were always creating space for each other.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2007, 1:00 PM
One thing that stood out for me watching the underage teams in the last couple of years was the sheer number of "speculative" passes we play. Not necessarily hoofs but low % passes over a longish distance which, even if accurate, are hard to control. This was particularly apparent in the U19 game in Germany where we played a great first half, made a forced substitution bringing on the tall Cillian Sheridan and our game went to pot afterwards.

Croatia passed the ball well and usually short, held it well, brought people into the game & they took up good positions. All simple stuff really. We make a couple of passes and if an opening doesn't become available we'll play a speculative ball. Better teams will just play it around for another phase and wait for the opening.

Surely this isn't that difficult to teach?

Wolfie
22/11/2007, 1:04 PM
Croatia passed the ball well and usually short, held it well, brought people into the game & they took up good positions. All simple stuff really. We make a couple of passes and if an opening doesn't become available we'll play a speculative ball. Better teams will just play it around for another phase and wait for the opening.

Surely this isn't that difficult to teach?

The distribution of the Croation back four was very accurate and composed. I couldn't help drawing comparisons between the assured manner in which the Croat defence fed the midfield to an image of McShane's painfully awkward presence on the ball.

eirebhoy
22/11/2007, 1:21 PM
Technique is definitely the problem IMO. Whilst England have players who can accurately pass the ball, they don't really have anyone with any great vision. Beckham is a fantastic passer but IMO he hasn't got much vision.
Vision comes under intelligence though.

jmurphyc
22/11/2007, 1:32 PM
Vision comes under intelligence though.

Yes but what I'm saying is that it's no good being an amazing passer but having no vision, otherwise you won't be able to find holes in the opposition or be able to find others in space. You'd just end up passing it back and forth and not creating chances.

eirebhoy
22/11/2007, 1:35 PM
Yes but what I'm saying is that it's no good being an amazing passer but having no vision
That's exactly my point. :)

jmurphyc
22/11/2007, 1:40 PM
Ok must have misunderstood then. :o

paul_oshea
22/11/2007, 1:51 PM
Yes but what I'm saying is that it's no good being an amazing passer but having no vision, otherwise you won't be able to find holes in the opposition or be able to find others in space. You'd just end up passing it back and forth and not creating chances.

And both are ye are only half right. If there is someone on the team who isnt on the "same level" then a player who has vision i.e. can make an opening or space with a pass then he is going to be hitting balls into open spaces with no one near it..... its 50/50, thats what i mentioned before about keane and reid being on the "same level"

And, whoever said beckham doesnt have vision hasn't a clue. That pass to crouch was perfect vision cos he picked exactly where he had to put the ball, knowning the direction crouch was running and hit it perfectly over the defender and into that hole. UNreal pass. I cant remember when I have seen as good a pass as that.

jmurphyc
22/11/2007, 1:57 PM
And, whoever said beckham doesnt have vision hasn't a clue. That pass to crouch was perfect vision cos he picked exactly where he had to put the ball, knowning the direction crouch was running and hit it perfectly over the defender and into that hole. UNreal pass. I cant remember when I have seen as good a pass as that.

That was me. Can't remember the Crouch pass, I was in another room when someone told me England has scored so only got to see the last bit of the replay. I haven't really watched much of Beckham in a good while, but he is obviously an amazing passer but from what I can remember he doesn't generally thread through balls that show great awareness of any kind, they're usually just incredibly accurate. He'd only occasionally play a ball that shows great vision. However, perhaps I've just forgotten how good he is in regards to this.

Superhoops
22/11/2007, 2:06 PM
According to The Indo the FAI are still trying to finalise the panel of "kingmakers".....

They should appoint Brian Barwick if only to warn them off appointing that fraud Venables.

paul_oshea
22/11/2007, 2:08 PM
That was me. Can't remember the Crouch pass, I was in another room when someone told me England has scored so only got to see the last bit of the replay. I haven't really watched much of Beckham in a good while, but he is obviously an amazing passer but from what I can remember he doesn't generally thread through balls that show great awareness of any kind, they're usually just incredibly accurate. He'd only occasionally play a ball that shows great vision. However, perhaps I've just forgotten how good he is in regards to this.

I see what you are saying, and though correct to an extent, i think you are looking at it a bit one sided. His passess from one side to the other/over the top of defences is extremely accurate and that accuracy creates openings, players run on and in behind the defender. Its not just as simple as being extremely accurate, there is intelligence there, as he reads exactly where he has to hit it. YOu can be extremely accurate, but if you dont know where you want to hit it then it wont make the slight bit of difference i.e. it wont create openings and beckham can do this. We havent seen much of it lately but he can. His vision may not be as good as reids/on the same level but he certainly has it. :)

jmurphyc
22/11/2007, 2:20 PM
I see what you are saying, and though correct to an extent, i think you are looking at it a bit one sided. His passess from one side to the other/over the top of defences is extremely accurate and that accuracy creates openings, players run on and in behind the defender. Its not just as simple as being extremely accurate, there is intelligence there, as he reads exactly where he has to hit it. YOu can be extremely accurate, but if you dont know where you want to hit it then it wont make the slight bit of difference i.e. it wont create openings and beckham can do this. We havent seen much of it lately but he can. His vision may not be as good as reids/on the same level but he certainly has it. :)

Yeah I pretty much agree with what you're saying. However, all I'm really trying to say is that whilst Beckham may have some vision, there are tons of players out there who have far more than them. For starters the 11 opposition players last night. :D

On another note just realised what thread this in. Didn't realise and sorry for completely bringing it off topic. Back to the new manager talk...

soccerc
22/11/2007, 10:28 PM
Jewell out of the running.

New name for you - Pat Walker

eirebhoy
22/11/2007, 10:38 PM
Really? Do you know much about him. Took me a while to find out he's manager of Orebro in Sweden.

DmanDmythDledge
22/11/2007, 10:57 PM
One name that I don't think has been mentioned at all that I think would do a good job is Gordan Strachan. I'd obviously be surprised if he got the job/was interested but I found it a bit strange he hasn't been mentioned at all.

Also anyone see England's press conference this morning? The FAI could learn a thing or two from them.

soccerc
22/11/2007, 11:02 PM
Giles now backing Venables with Jewell out of the race. Pat Walker has put his hat in the ring but could be too late

ifk101
23/11/2007, 7:06 AM
Giles now backing Venables with Jewell out of the race. Pat Walker has put his hat in the ring but could be too late

Is that Pat Walker - our man in Sweden???

Really? Do you know much about him. Took me a while to find out he's manager of Orebro in Sweden.

... "was" the manager.

Stuttgart88
23/11/2007, 7:51 AM
Jewell out of running, down to Houllier & Venables I hear.

Pat Walker, now there's a name from leftfield. One of the guys on chatsoccer.eu is a big fan.

ifk101
23/11/2007, 7:58 AM
If the FAI decided to appoint somebody to the U21 job as a stepping stone to the senior job, I think Patrick Walker would be a good choice for this job.

But as things currently stand he isn't what we are looking for.

Stuttgart88
23/11/2007, 8:02 AM
If the media (Newstalk, Examiner, (non) Independent etc...) continue to either advocate or discuss Venables' candidacy surely they can also ask for opinions on people like Hodgson or Jol.

I hope to fcuk someone decent bumps into the FAI out in Durban.

It's time these "kingmakers" were announced asap.

tetsujin1979
23/11/2007, 8:40 AM
Has anyone actually told the FAI that there's no way in hell the fans would support the appointment of Venables?
And even if someone did, would it make a difference?

Billsthoughts
23/11/2007, 8:41 AM

I listened to Giles last nite on newstalk and he didnt sound to keen on Venables at all. described his career as patchy. who is Pat Walker?

tetsujin1979
23/11/2007, 8:49 AM
Yeah, I heard Giles last night too. Didn't sound like he was backing El Tel as manager, more that he would be worth interviewing as a candidate to see what he would bring to the side. For me, he's not even worth that.

Stuttgart88
23/11/2007, 9:11 AM
Oh holy fcuk:

There has been a good deal of speculation on who the men appointed to the three-man committee so far are with former England coach Don Howe amongst those being mentioned in connection with the role yesterday.

an_ceannaire
23/11/2007, 9:59 AM
Here's a name from left field lads........
Wim Jansen........?

Sligo Hornet
23/11/2007, 10:17 AM
Oh holy fcuk:

There has been a good deal of speculation on who the men appointed to the three-man committee so far are with former England coach Don Howe amongst those being mentioned in connection with the role yesterday.

Didn't even think he was still alive!:eek:......mind you that wouldn't be condsidered reason enough for exclusion by the FAI;)

dubzerino
23/11/2007, 10:36 AM
Funny article on the candidates: http://www.rant.ie/

an_ceannaire
23/11/2007, 10:41 AM
WTF is Pat Walker???

ifk101
23/11/2007, 10:44 AM
Hails from Carlow.

Managed Sundsvall and Örebro in the Swedish league.

Had a short stint as a player with Ireland's Big Club.

A number of U21 caps to his name.

an_ceannaire
23/11/2007, 10:47 AM
Right..........so..........this fella has managed 2 swedish clubs most people have never heard of, and some lads here want him to manage Ireland.......??
Sure why dont they just give the job to David Jeffrey while they're at it!! And they scoff at the FAI?!!!:rolleyes:

ifk101
23/11/2007, 10:48 AM
Right..........so..........this fella has managed 2 swedish clubs most people have never heard of, and some lads here want him to manage Ireland.......??
Sure why dont they just give the job to David Jeffrey while they're at it!! And they scoff at the FAI?!!!:rolleyes:

Nobody has said that. The only thing that has been said is that he has put his name forward for the job.

Dr. Ogba
23/11/2007, 10:51 AM
Nobody has said that. The only thing that has been said is that he has put his name forward for the job.

Jaysus he must be one hell of an optimist so!

an_ceannaire
23/11/2007, 10:51 AM
I bet he has :D

Noelys Guitar
23/11/2007, 10:55 AM
Dunphy at 1000/1 looks better and better!

an_ceannaire
23/11/2007, 10:57 AM
Honest to god if Eamo got the job I would afford myself a wry smile, put on my seat belt and prepare for one hell of a World Cup Campaign!!!! I would secretly love it :D

gustavo
23/11/2007, 10:58 AM
I'm sure he is thinking , why not , he sounds infinitely more experienced than the previous incumbent

youngirish
23/11/2007, 11:01 AM
Probably posted earlier but if not:

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=30116

McCarthy again? A step backwards IMO.

NeilMcD
23/11/2007, 11:01 AM
Oh holy fcuk:

Anyone remember the classic conversation between him and Tony Francis on ITV after the Saudi Arabia game in the 1994 World Cup where, they scored a wonder goal. I will dig it up and put it up here. Classic stuff.

amaccann
23/11/2007, 11:05 AM
Probably posted earlier but if not:

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=30116

McCarthy again? A step backwards IMO.
I'd almost believe it - The Wolves fans are p*ssing him off apparently (well, based on one apparent outburst after a game), and the FAI might think that a "cap in hand" approach could have him back.

I'd be undecided about this; he did well for us once he got over his own inexperience, but there's far far too much baggage what with the ... you know. The thing in Asia that happened.

NeilMcD
23/11/2007, 11:12 AM
Former Liverpool, Lyon and France manager Gerard Houllier and well-travelled Englishman Roy Hodgson have made contact with the Football Association of Ireland regarding the vacant Republic of Ireland manager’s position.

Hodgson has enjoyed solid success with second-tier nations in Europe, leading Switzerland to two major finals in the 1990s and bringing unfashionable Finland to within three points of qualification for next summer’s European Championships.

Houllier, meanwhile, is rated as a solid second favourite behind Terry Venables, who is also reported to be interested in the Irish position.

The Irish Daily Mirror reports that seven managers have now formally notified the FAI of their interest: Venables, Houllier and Hodgson this week, joining David O’Leary, Graham Souness, George Graham and Glenn Hoddle in making their interest known.

dcfc_1928
23/11/2007, 11:13 AM
I wonder if that's the bloke who arrived at the DCFC team hotel, before our UEFA Cup game in Sweden, with DVDs of IFK Gothenburg games for Stephen Kenny?