PDA

View Full Version : New Irish manager

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

BrayUnknowns
23/10/2007, 12:32 PM
He'd retain Robbie Keane as Captain.

He doesn't rate Andy Reid.

Well if he could get Robbie Keane to play and score like he does for Spurs then i wouldn't mind.

Why would he rate Reid when he has better midfielders at his disposal like Zakora, Jenas, Huddlestone, Lennon and Malbranque. even the likes of that new young lad they signed, Taarabt, would be ahead of Reid.

Jol would be the best choice out of the names being mentioned at the moment. But he would need someone with a bit of knowledge of the Irish game. If Kerr had never been involved then he would be perfect, but he would probably stick with Houghton.

passinginterest
23/10/2007, 12:36 PM
See he's asked Bolton chairman not to consider him for the job (SkySports)...has he been speaking to a certain CEO over here I wonder??:eek:....or maybe in Norf Landan?

I'm very, very worried now.

At least he can't sign players as an international manager. Although I was fond of Torben Piechnik (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torben_Piechnik). :(

shakermaker1982
23/10/2007, 12:41 PM
oh lord help us if we get Souness. Bolton are the club for you, please call the Bolton chairman back and ask for an interview!!!

Wolfie
23/10/2007, 12:51 PM
Why would he rate Reid when he has better midfielders at his disposal like Zakora, Jenas, Huddlestone, Lennon and Malbranque. even the likes of that new young lad they signed, Taarabt, would be ahead of Reid.

How many of that lot would he have to choose from as Ireland Manager?

passinginterest
23/10/2007, 12:54 PM
How many of that lot would he have to choose from as Ireland Manager?

I though he did rate Reid? He played him regularly when he was fit. I thought he only let him go because he couldn't guarantee him a start and Reid is the type of player who needs games every week. I certainly don't remember Jol having anything bad to say about him.

conlonn
23/10/2007, 1:13 PM
Van Gaal is the best of that list by a long way. Helpful that he is an outsider too and it will all be new and interesting to him!

Wolfie
23/10/2007, 1:14 PM
I though he did rate Reid? He played him regularly when he was fit. I thought he only let him go because he couldn't guarantee him a start and Reid is the type of player who needs games every week. I certainly don't remember Jol having anything bad to say about him.

On reflection (As Delaney might say) - I suppose whether he rated him or not in the past, with a reduced and pre-defined pool to choose from - he'd rate Reid while he was Ireland Manager!

Ozymandias
23/10/2007, 1:15 PM

is the correct answer

Dr. Ogba
23/10/2007, 1:18 PM
Van Gaal is the best of that list by a long way. Helpful that he is an outsider too and it will all be new and interesting to him!

Eh is Van Gaal not the man that completely threw away the match in Lansdowne by taking off his most threatening players (Overmars and Zenden) and threw on 4 strikers with Hasselbaink playing right wing?

I'll admit that's pretty much all I know about him but wasn't impressed! Now if you'll excuse me i'm off to wikipedia...

Edit - yeah pretty good record alright...major problem though, he's under contrat with AZ till 2010 so I'm pretty sure the FAI wouldn't fancy buying him out of his contract after paying Stan off...

Next...

craig7042
23/10/2007, 1:20 PM
not a bad idea at all!!

Stephen Kenny?
You must be joking... Lets go back to all the reasons why Brian Kerr was wrong. The manager must be an ex -top-player and have management experience AND first and foremost must be convincing with the media.

Souness or Venables are the only ones I can think of ... Maybe O'Leary...

endabob1
23/10/2007, 1:27 PM
The big debatable point is whether it is Jol who has sent the money or not, the Director of Football Damien Comolli is allegedly the man spending the cash. Jol took a seriously undersacheiving side to 5th in successive seasons, he has his faults without doubt but he is a fine coach and a good man, he would be a major improvement.

Personally I don't think he would be the right man, I think he would always have one eye on going back to club management. I would prefer us to get someone like a Dalglish who would have the immediate respoect of the players but is not going to be looking at the job as a stepping stone.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 1:32 PM
I would have him in a shot too. Ferguson had a bad run at Man Utd at one time but Man Utd kept faith with him.Spurs should do the same with Jol, however if they do release him I would take him in a shot. Jol is a quality coach and manager but we live in a world where people now mach quick judgments. What about the last 2 years where he has Spurs finishing inside the top 6 twice, despite the fact they had never done that before in the Premiership.

He plays good football and he is experienced with different systems etc and does well when Spurs get into Europe and they only got beaten by Seville last season who have won the cup twice in a row. A very good coach who would know the Irish players, knows the Irish set up as he has Hughton as his assistant and consistantly gets the best out of Robbie Keane. Only thing that could get in the way is money and does he want an international job.

Newryrep
23/10/2007, 1:33 PM
Stephen Kenny?
You must be joking... Lets go back to all the reasons why Brian Kerr was wrong. The manager must be an ex -top-player and have management experience AND first and foremost must be convincing with the media.

Please add Venables to my dont want column

Superhoops
23/10/2007, 1:39 PM
Quality coach as you said but a poor tactician.

Is that not a contradiction?

Dodge
23/10/2007, 1:39 PM
The manager must be an ex -top-player..

Wenger, Houllier, Mourinho all ruled out :eek:

AND first and foremost must be convincing with the media.

Seriously, thats your first consideration for any new manager? :eek:

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 1:41 PM
Lads every manager has his flaws. I love the way people pick one decision and use that as evidence not to pick a manager but totally disregard the whole record. This sort of short term outlook will not work.

THere are far better reasons not to pic Van Gaal then his one decision at LR. Maybe he is used to working with players with top technique and would not be suited to the Klbanes, and O Sheas of the world. These are valid reasons not to pick him, but not because he lost to Ireland at LR and brought on 4 strikers going for it.

Remember he also won leagues at Barcelona.

Also in another point, I dont think we should force an assistant on any manager. The manager should be free to pick his manager. This idea of a management team is a load of rubbish and should be hit on the head now. Pick your manager and let him pick his assistant and coaches. So if we go for Roy Hodgson and he wants Ronny Whelan as his assistant well then fair enough but lets not just force an Irish assistant on a foreign coach.

Docboy
23/10/2007, 1:41 PM
I've seen Jol linked previously with taking over the dutch job should Van Basten step aside after Euro2008.

youngirish
23/10/2007, 1:43 PM
Stephen Kenny?

Why must the manager be an ex-top player? Why must he above all else be convincing with the media? These are two of the most ridiculous statments I've seen for a while though not as ridiculous as a recommendation of Souness for the job - one of the worst managers to try his hand in the Premiership. How he kept on picking up jobs was always a mystery to me.

endabob1
23/10/2007, 2:02 PM
A stepping stone manager would have incentive to perform. What we DON'T want is the following

a) An ageing manager who wants a nice relaxing retirement job. e.g. Daglish

b) An inexperienced plank who has no clue what he's doing and no respect from the players. e.g. Stan

My problem with a stepping stone manager is that they do a Sanchez and bugger off mid way through a potentially successful campaign.
I don't think Dalglish would be a retirement job, he hardly needs the cash but I do understand your doubts to a certain degree, the thing is he has a fair amount of managerial experience and despite his relative failures with Celtic & Newcastle he was a dof in those roles and when he was actually managing at Liverpool he was very succesfull

Macy
23/10/2007, 2:09 PM
the thing is he has a fair amount of managerial experience and despite his relative failures with Celtic & Newcastle he was a dof in those roles and when he was actually managing at Liverpool he was very succesfull
The two times he had relatively limited resources to build teams he failed. When he took over an already successful side he kept it ticking over until it needed rebuilding, and his other successful team was when he could out bid everyone in English football. We'd be best off leaving him to sell gimmicky clubs on the golf channel.

macdermesser
23/10/2007, 2:20 PM
Souness ruled himself out of the Bolton job today .. hope there is no significance in that regarding the Irish job ..

Metrostars
23/10/2007, 2:40 PM
What about Chris Hughton? He's been an assistant coach at Spurs for a long time and also worked with Kerr.

Metrostars
23/10/2007, 2:45 PM
Eh is Van Gaal not the man that completely threw away the match in Lansdowne by taking off his most threatening players (Overmars and Zenden) and threw on 4 strikers with Hasselbaink playing right wing?

I'll admit that's pretty much all I know about him but wasn't impressed! Now if you'll excuse me i'm off to wikipedia...

Edit - yeah pretty good record alright...major problem though, he's under contrat with AZ till 2010 so I'm pretty sure the FAI wouldn't fancy buying him out of his contract after paying Stan off...

Next...

Yes the same Van Gaal who has won

1 x Champions League: 1994-95 (with Ajax)
1 x Intercontinental Cup: 1994-95 (with Ajax)
1 x UEFA Cup: 1991-92 (with Ajax)
2 x European Supercup: 1995-96 (with Ajax), 1997-98 (with FC Barcelona)
3 x Dutch Eredivisie: 1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96, (with Ajax) plus in 2003-04 (as Technical Director)
1 x Dutch Cup: 1992-93 (with Ajax)
3 x Johan Cruijff-schaal: 1993-94, 1994-95, 1995-96 (with Ajax)
2 x Spanish League: 1997-98, 1998-99 (with FC Barcelona)
1 x Spanish Cup: 1997-98 (with FC Barcelona)
1 x Rinus Michels Award (2007)

Noelys Guitar
23/10/2007, 2:45 PM
I see Roy Hodgson has entered the Paddy Power charts with a bullit, at 16/1.

I played a part in that. Got him at 50/1 and have Houllier at 40/1. Mind you I had Venables and MON the last time a big odds and look what happened there!

Adrianovic
23/10/2007, 2:46 PM
Interesting to see the Cyprus boss is second favourite with WillHill in England.

Not sure what sort of pedigree he has outside of beating us and Wales, but he'd be cheap - so will probably look like a good option to the FAI.

I'd not mind someone who has assistant managerial experience, such as Neeskens or Quieroz, but I think Hughton has been too close to past failures before.

Looking down the list, it is hard not to feel positive as all options, perhaps with the exception of Dunphy, are unquestionably more suited to the job than Stan is.

I imagine once Stan is shown the door we'll have managers ruling themselves in and out, and things will become clearer. I'd predict O'Leary though, not amazing, he does have a good deal of Premiership and Champions League experience though.

reder
23/10/2007, 2:51 PM
Souness has ruled himself out of the Bolton job. Odds are fairly short on him for irish job. Could very well be the man. O' Leary is very quiet. Would have expected him to be on every radio station and tv broadcast if he was interested.

gspain
23/10/2007, 2:51 PM
Jol would certainly be a good option if he gets the sack. Paul Jewell is another. I'd prefer somebody with International experience but it is not a prerequisite.

Realistically we're not going to get a guy in a job that we'd want.

I'd iike to get somebody out of work with a point to prove. Also somebody who has been successful in the past and maybe stayed too long at a club. And no that does not include David P'Leary.

Yes it would be awful to have a really good manager walk out midway through a campaign aka Lawrie Sanchez or Walter Smith. However it's a damn sight better than having a rubbish manager hang around for his payoff and make us a laughing stock.

I do have concerns over the selection process. We probably got Jack Charlton because someone who looked like Paddy Mulligan but probably wasn't threw a bun at an FAI official.

ruben_sosa
23/10/2007, 2:54 PM
I'd love to see Alex Ferguson manage Ireland some day.

why do i keep visiting this forum when people post things like this?

reder
23/10/2007, 2:57 PM
I would prefer us to get someone like a Dalglish.

My dream scenario but its not going to happen. I cant see King Kenny ever touching us with a barge pole again after what happened when we were looking for a manager after Mc Carthy was stabbed in the back.

gspain
23/10/2007, 3:00 PM
My dream scenario but its not going to happen. I cant see King Kenny ever touching us with a barge pole again after what happened when we were looking for a manager after Mc Carthy was stabbed in the back.

Great player, decent manager but I think he spends too much time on the golf course in Marbella now to do the job justice.

gustavo
23/10/2007, 3:01 PM
why do i keep visiting this forum when people post things like this?

Whats the problem with that post ?
He''s only saying he'd like to see it , Doesn't say he thinks it would actually happen.

reder
23/10/2007, 3:02 PM
Great player, decent manager but I think he spends too much time on the golf course in Marbella now to do the job justice.

True, he is also very heavily involved with his wifes charity.

co. down green
23/10/2007, 3:09 PM
The big debatable point is whether it is Jol who has sent the money or not, the Director of Football Damien Comolli is allegedly the man spending the cash. Jol took a seriously undersacheiving side to 5th in successive seasons, he has his faults without doubt but he is a fine coach and a good man, he would be a major improvement.

Personally I don't think he would be the right man, I think he would always have one eye on going back to club management.

What if we gave him a four year contract ;)

galwayhoop
23/10/2007, 3:13 PM
What about Chris Hughton? He's been an assistant coach at Spurs for a long time and also worked with Kerr.

there is a massive difference between a coach and a manager.

look, for example, at those who have been coaches at old trafford:
brian kidd, steve mclaren and carlos queiroz. all apparently very good coaches but none have really cut it as managers.

a manager organises the whole thing, their coaches get down to the nitty gritty with the players - usually following the managers instructions. sure the coach can suggest things to the manager but the manager is the one making the final decisions.

if a manager does absolutely no hands on coaching with the players but motivates them and has them working as a cohesive unit then they can still be successiful.

therefore i believe that whoever is our next manager has to have been the top man in some capacity and not the understudy or a coach within a management team.

IsMiseSean
23/10/2007, 3:17 PM
I hope to God, O'Leary isn't given the job. I really think he would be awful. I think the FAI will see him as a good choice and will probably give him the job. I'd like to see Steve Coppell approached with Reading struggling be just might be interested

luka
23/10/2007, 3:21 PM
Bring back Charlton, even if it's only for the World Cup. I'd be might interested to see what he could do with the current bunch of players available.

joeSoap
23/10/2007, 3:22 PM
there is a massive difference between a coach and a manager.

look, for example, at those who have been coaches at old trafford:
brian kidd, steve mclaren and carlos queiroz. all apparently very good coaches but none have really cut it as managers.

a manager organises the whole thing, their coaches get down to the nitty gritty with the players - usually following the managers instructions. sure the coach can suggest things to the manager but the manager is the one making the final decisions.

if a manager does absolutely no hands on coaching with the players but motivates them and has them working as a cohesive unit then they can still be successiful.

therefore i believe that whoever is our next manager has to have been the top man in some capacity and not the understudy or a coach within a management team.
100% agreed. And in my opinion he will also have to have Premiership managerial experience, and knowledge of the lower divisions in England, as lets face it, thats where the nucleus of our side comes from. I would like George Graham personally. He would command the respect of the players, has a great managerial record and seems to have come away relatively unscathed from all that bung stuff a few years ago.

Houllier would be another one, but for me he is mentally weak as a man, and I'm not sure we need someone like that.

O'Leary might be interesting. He had Leeds and Villa playing good football while he was at those clubs and you can't knock his pedigree as a player. Plus, he won't have a transfer budget to play with to put his employers out of business. But can I handle the smarm??........No!

galwayhoop
23/10/2007, 3:34 PM
George Graham ..... seems to have come away relatively unscathed from all that bung stuff a few years ago.

surely that could only endear him to us!!!! ;)

Drumcondra 69er
23/10/2007, 3:47 PM
My problem with a stepping stone manager is that they do a Sanchez and bugger off mid way through a potentially successful campaign.
I don't think Dalglish would be a retirement job, he hardly needs the cash but I do understand your doubts to a certain degree, the thing is he has a fair amount of managerial experience and despite his relative failures with Celtic & Newcastle he was a dof in those roles and when he was actually managing at Liverpool he was very succesfull

And therein lies the problem. He was sucessful at Liverpool 20 years ago practically and Blackburn 12 years ago. The game has moved on since and he's been left behind. I can't for the life of me understand some of the names suggested on various threads, Big Ron, George Graham, Terry Venables, Charlton (??!!) and Dalglish are all lame ducks at this stage, they're the last people I'd want. What's next, Brian Clough???

geysir
23/10/2007, 4:59 PM
I would like George Graham personally. He would command the respect of the players, has a great managerial record and seems to have come away relatively unscathed from all that bung stuff a few years ago.
He is a mature intelligent choice. But he must be mid 60's by now as well as chronically suffering from arthritis.

backstothewall
23/10/2007, 6:34 PM
100% agreed. And in my opinion he will also have to have Premiership managerial experience, and knowledge of the lower divisions in England, as lets face it, thats where the nucleus of our side comes from.

Completely agreed with this...

I would like George Graham personally. He would command the respect of the players, has a great managerial record and seems to have come away relatively unscathed from all that bung stuff a few years ago.

Houllier would be another one, but for me he is mentally weak as a man, and I'm not sure we need someone like that.

O'Leary might be interesting. He had Leeds and Villa playing good football while he was at those clubs and you can't knock his pedigree as a player. Plus, he won't have a transfer budget to play with to put his employers out of business. But can I handle the smarm??........No!

...so why then name 2 guys who have never managed an english club outside the top flight, and one who hasn't since 1986??

Someone who has been succesful at premiership and championship level is ideal for us. People like Jewell, Souness, Gregory, and Coppell fit the bill, perhaps Peter Reid, Micky Adams, Iain Dowie or Peter Taylor as well.

Roy Hodgson could come into consideration given his record with the Swiss

If the FAI decide they want to go for a continental, Didier Deschamps is an interesting punt at 40/1 on Paddy Power. He is available.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 6:57 PM
Whats wrong with Beenhakker or Roy Hodgson , these guys are proven at international level and proven with having to coach players once every three months. A different skill to having the players day in day out. To me its guys like these that are the outstanding candidates. Van Gaal out of your list does have that experience. I like Coppell not so sure about Jewell though as I think he could be a bit limited tactically at International level.

mypost
23/10/2007, 7:01 PM
O'Leary I wouldn't mind. He brought Leeds to the UEFA semi-final, the CL semi-final, (thanks to Houllier's king size screw up the year before :rolleyes: ) and brought Villa from relegation candidates to within reach of the UEFA Cup in his first season there.

As for Jewell, forget it. This "coach" brought Bradford to the brink of the drop in their first season up, then brought Wigan to the brink of the drop last year, despite having loads to spend. Wouldn't hang around for a whole campaign either, before some PL club waves a few £££'s in his eyes. :rolleyes:

backstothewall
23/10/2007, 7:11 PM
As for Jewell, forget it. This "coach" brought Bradford to the brink of the drop in their first season up, then brought Wigan to the brink of the drop last year, despite having loads to spend.

Getting Bradford to the premiership was little short of a miricle. Keeping them there was nothing short. Wigans first season was a hell of an achievment, and last season, the dificult second season, wasn't exactly easy after losing Jimmy Bullard, Chimbonda, Henchoz and Roberts

Noelys Guitar
23/10/2007, 7:32 PM
Liam Brady just said he would be interested in the job but quoted himself at 200/1. He nominated Ron Atkinson!

shakermaker1982
23/10/2007, 7:41 PM
Big Ron :) I'd still prefer him over O'Leary and that is saying something.

I keep checking on here waiting to see "OFFICIAL - STAN is sacked". If it's not announced by 9 then they are clearly having a few beers (Stan's buying) watching Man Utd-Kiev!!!

CollegeTillIDie
23/10/2007, 9:55 PM
Any comments re. Foppe de Haan?

Get realistic, we will not get any current Premiership/ major league manager or Gus Hiddink!!

Foppe De Haan was coach of Herenveen for years. Had links with UCD, he knew the late Dr. Tony O'Neill
He used to come over during International weeks and pass on some knowledge to our coaches and players, and about a decade ago one of our then players, Declan Fitzgerald, went over for a trial.
He's an excellent coach but in his mid 60's. He retired from the Heerenveen gig.

eirebhoy
23/10/2007, 10:02 PM
Richie Sadlier said on Prime Time that he spoke to a few people who played under O'Leary and they didn't have a high opinion of him as a manager. To be honest, I never was a fan of O'Leary and now I really hope he doesn't get it.

Colbert Report
23/10/2007, 10:03 PM
John Sheridan has just been announced as the new Ireland manager.

That's what I want to hear tonight.

NeilMcD
23/10/2007, 10:06 PM
Reading between the lines there, McCarthy was none too pleased with Cascarino for having the balls to say it like it is.

Not just Cascarino, but Brady, Whelan as well.

Houghton has been talking rubbish on the matter though.