PDA

View Full Version : New Irish manager

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

eirebhoy
21/02/2007, 4:47 PM
Roy Keane would cost far too much even if asked (which he won't be), or even if he were interested (which he's not, I'm sure)
Keane will almost certainly be future Ireland manager. Doubt it'll be any time soon though.

Kingdom
21/02/2007, 6:11 PM
I can't get the head around this mentality of us needing a British or Irish manager.
Can't say I'd be too impressed if Aldridge was offered the job , as its been fcukin yonks since he managed a team. I would like to see someone appointed who has a certain amount of ability as well as being confident enough to hoof the wasters and chancers out to buck up their ideas. If someone was to offer a setup akin to Kerr's with the backbone to stand up to the useless cnuts we have representing us now, then I'd be happy. Obviously results would be a bonus.
As for the old foogies on here, I'm not old enough to remember the bad old days where we were humiliated repeatedly. And I don't fancy starting now. There are kots of fans like me too I'd imagine, hence the viciousness of the abuse aimed at Stan et al.

Nailer77
22/02/2007, 1:54 PM
I can't get the head around this mentality of us needing a British or Irish manager.
Can't say I'd be too impressed if Aldridge was offered the job , as its been fcukin yonks since he managed a team. I would like to see someone appointed who has a certain amount of ability as well as being confident enough to hoof the wasters and chancers out to buck up their ideas. If someone was to offer a setup akin to Kerr's with the backbone to stand up to the useless cnuts we have representing us now, then I'd be happy. Obviously results would be a bonus.
As for the old foogies on here, I'm not old enough to remember the bad old days where we were humiliated repeatedly. And I don't fancy starting now. There are kots of fans like me too I'd imagine, hence the viciousness of the abuse aimed at Stan et al.

Good post! Why follow the English mentality? Why insist on an Irishman getting the job when he's not the best candidate? Its a **** poor arguement for hiring a coach. I want the best man for the job not neccessarily the best Irish man

zenokelly
22/02/2007, 3:48 PM
Don't be counting your ckickens before the 2 games in March.

2 half decent performances and Delaney will be laughing. - with an excuse!

eirebhoy
22/02/2007, 5:16 PM
I have a feeling we'll do well in both games. As long as Stan picks the right team I'm happy.

DmanDmythDledge
22/02/2007, 5:19 PM
As long as Stan picks the right team I'm happy.
That's a big if...

SuperDave
22/02/2007, 6:39 PM
well if bobby robson was picking it, we'd have carl cort up front with gary linekar and shay wondering why bobby was still calling him peter

danonion
22/02/2007, 8:49 PM

Aldridge has loads of ability didn't you see dancing with the stars? ;)

The Bit O'Red
17/10/2007, 10:28 PM
Right, well it looks like the inevitable will happen soon enough. I personally didn't shout for Staunton out this evening. It's harsh on Stan, if the FAI had offered me the job I would have taken it too, he's just not up to it, doesn't have the qualities or the experience and the national job isn't the place to learn either. The man/men who appointed him and promised us a 'world class manager' should be held accountable. I also don't see the point in getting rid of Stan until somebody else is lined up or else as happened after Kerr was sacked we'll end up with somebody who's not up to the job cause the position was filled in a hurry. We now have months, prob until June/July 2008 to sort out a new manager.

So who do you think it should be? Be realistic. As far as I can see there's no available Irishman up to the task.

May is suggest.......Leo Beenhakker.

He's coached at Ajax, Feyenoord, Real Madrid & Real Zaragoza.
He's led Trinidad & Tobago to the World Cup where they gave a decent account of themselves.
It now looks like he'll get Poland to the Euro's at the first time of asking.
He speaks English.
If the Poles and Trinidad can afford him surely the FAI could too???

Just putting it out there, could do worse me thinks, any views?

SuperDave
17/10/2007, 10:41 PM
Right, well it looks like the inevitable will happen soon enough. I personally didn't shout for Staunton out this evening. It's harsh on Stan, if the FAI had offered me the job I would have taken it too, he's just not up to it, doesn't have the qualities or the experience and the national job isn't the place to learn either. The man/men who appointed him and promised us a 'world class manager' should be held accountable. I also don't see the point in getting rid of Stan until somebody else is lined up or else as happened after Kerr was sacked we'll end up with somebody who's not up to the job cause the position was filled in a hurry. We now have months, prob until June/July 2008 to sort out a new manager.

So who do you think it should be? Be realistic. As far as I can see there's no available Irishman up to the task.

May is suggest.......Leo Beenhakker.

He's coached at Ajax, Feyenoord, Real Madrid & Real Zaragoza.
He's led Trinidad & Tobago to the World Cup where they gave a decent account of themselves.
It now looks like he'll get Poland to the Euro's at the first time of asking.
He speaks English.
If the Poles and Trinidad can afford him surely the FAI could too???

Just putting it out there, could do worse me thinks, any views?

just the problem of him being at poland and possibly qualifying there. i here there's some portuguese guy available.

stojkovic
17/10/2007, 10:52 PM
just the problem of him being at poland and possibly qualifying there. i here there's some portuguese guy available.

Likewise if Russia qualify we wont get Hiddink, unless we wait til July, which the FAI should have done two years ago but they needed the revenue from friendlies.

Noelys Guitar
18/10/2007, 12:01 AM
Coleman, Jewell and O'Leary are available. What should be happening is someone with half a brain at the FAI contacting people like Hiddink, Wenger, Brady etc and seeking their advice on who is available (possibly someone under the radar, not a big name but a hungry, intelligent manager).

citizenerased
18/10/2007, 12:27 AM
benekakker is with poland for another 2 years...why would he touch this mess..very depressing lads...joke..us irish fans are being ****ed on by the fai

Noelys Guitar
18/10/2007, 7:34 AM
Out of contract soon and not getting a new one. Irish conectons. Knows the players. Has played at the top level and has done well as a manager.

drinkfeckarse
18/10/2007, 7:38 AM
Don't rate him personally but he couldn't get us any lower.

Réiteoir
18/10/2007, 7:41 AM
Bruce is the English equivalent of Gareth Farrelly - a spoofer.

I doubt he'd want to leave his nice cushy well paid job in the Premiership to work for a gimp like Delaney

mackannovic
18/10/2007, 8:52 AM
Steve Bruce should be approached
....with caution.

razorb
18/10/2007, 9:16 AM
Bring Jack Back!
I think the best person available is an Aldridge and O'Leary partnership. Both have good experience of English football and would be familiar with the setup of the FAI.
Steve McLaren will be available soon too!

paul_oshea
18/10/2007, 9:56 AM
May is suggest.......Leo Beenhakker

do you honestly think Delaney and co have heard of him? Seriously, i think NGs point is very good, sound out loads ofpeople, find out from respected individuals such as brady etc.

I think aldridge would be a great motivator, as cup runs show, international football is similar to this. I dont think he would have the tactical eptitude though, and he has been out now for a good while.

citizenerased
18/10/2007, 9:59 AM
no more rinky dink coaches, we need a european coach with proven tactical and organisation skills, the cypriot coach anyway(have no idea how to spell his name) well organised, play good football with a definitive gamplan...

gspain
18/10/2007, 10:00 AM
We need amanger who knows at least the basics. The EL maangers were laughing at the setup in San Marino.

Bruce could be an option. Paul Jewell is another to look at. We're not going to get somebody in a job. better to go for somebody who has been successful but just stayed too long and is now looking for work.

I'm not bothered whether they have Irish connections or not however I qwould like somebody who has managed in these islands and has been successful.

Réiteoir
18/10/2007, 10:12 AM
Stephen Kenny, Paul Doolin and/or Pat Fenlon to be brought on board to advise the new manager (if appointed).

Personally - I'd like to see an eL Panel of managers tasked with this

mackannovic
18/10/2007, 10:16 AM
Stephen Kenny, Paul Doolin and/or Pat Fenlon to be brought on board to advise the new manager (if appointed).

Personally - I'd like to see an eL Panel of managers tasked with this

In all fairness shut the **** up. Would you let League One managers have input into the England job???

If our aim is to get in an international manager who needs advice from Eircom League flunkies we may give up completely.

jbyrne
18/10/2007, 10:30 AM
What should be happening is someone with half a brain at the FAI contacting people like Hiddink, Wenger, Brady etc and seeking their advice on who is available (possibly someone under the radar, not a big name but a hungry, intelligent manager).

werent brady and wenger consulted this time around?

Hibs4Ever
18/10/2007, 10:30 AM
In all fairness shut the f*ck up. Would you let League One managers have input into the England job???

If our aim is to get in an international manager who needs advice from Eircom League flunkies we may give up completely.

Whats a "flunkie" :confused:

citizenerased
18/10/2007, 10:31 AM
ha ha ....i can see wenger advocating the appointment of Stan alright..Wenger recomended Philip Troussier,

mackannovic
18/10/2007, 10:39 AM
Whats a "flunkie" :confused:

One who does menial or trivial work (like managing a team of players far below international standard); a drudge.

cavan_fan
18/10/2007, 10:47 AM
no more rinky dink coaches, we need a european coach with proven tactical and organisation skills, the cypriot coach anyway(have no idea how to spell his name) well organised, play good football with a definitive gamplan...

Aldridge is the definition of rinky dink

Ozymandias
18/10/2007, 10:52 AM
just on the myth that we are getting managers on the cheap...staunton is on €400K + and Robson €250k a year.....that is not exactly cheap.....hiidink is on less than staunton at russia...build in performance clauses for results and standings and pay 650K a year and you would deffo get someone decent

Stuttgart88
18/10/2007, 10:55 AM
hiidink is on less than staunton at russia
Really?

btid1
18/10/2007, 10:55 AM
just on the myth that we are getting managers on the cheap...staunton is on €400K + and Robson €250k a year.....that is not exactly cheap.....hiidink is on less than staunton at russia...

WRONG!!

Hiddink's wages are being paid by Roman Abramovich and are far in excess of €650k.

Only one man for the job.......Paul Jewell.

Ozymandias
18/10/2007, 10:57 AM
ya..he is on for a big bonus if he qualifies them..his basic is small enough........400k is what was reported a while back..i was gobsmacked by it...he will effectively get 0ver 2 million dollars ia year f he qualifies them.......karl bruckner is on something tiny all together

Stuttgart88
18/10/2007, 10:59 AM
Jewell, O'Leary, Bruce are about the level we can expect. Whowever doesn't get the Bolton job will be in the frame.

Maybe there's someone from left field, a bit like Wim Janssen who came in without much fanfare at Celtic.

I swa Kenny Cunningham on TV last night. I reckon he could be a good manager in due course if he gets a decent club job and would be the type of person I'd like around the team. Intelligent & articulate for a start.

paul_oshea
18/10/2007, 11:01 AM
jewell did little at wigan, they are getting on the same now as they were last year. Oleary is crap and i could not handle his excuses, i really dont want him, and he would only be "ready" this time to manage us cos no one else will touch him with a barge pole. NO MORETHICK PEOPLE FOR MANAGER, intelligence goes along with in management. Bruce is decent enough but im still not sure he is the right candidate.

Noelys Guitar
18/10/2007, 11:12 AM
jewell did little at wigan, they are getting on the same now as they were last year. Oleary is crap and i could not handle his excuses, i really dont want him, and he would only be "ready" this time to manage us cos no one else will touch him with a barge pole. NO MORETHICK PEOPLE FOR MANAGER, intelligence goes along with in management. Bruce is decent enough but im still not sure he is the right candidate.

No O'Dreary please. I just can't handle him and don't believe he can inspire this group of players. Make it open and advertise the job. Get the best 3 in for interviews. And treat them with respect and actually listen to what they have to say. No pre-conceived ideas and no appointing someone on hunches.

Stuttgart88
18/10/2007, 11:23 AM
Ask the Drumaville syndicate to offer EUR 1 million upon qualification.

Réiteoir
18/10/2007, 11:26 AM
In all fairness shut the **** up. Would you let League One managers have input into the England job???

Better an eL manager than a pensioner who last managed any form of team three years previously and spent (regretfully) more time in hospital than he did out on the training field doing what the FAI paid him to do...

Methinks you should go back to gawping at a big screen showing over paid prima donnas getting embarrased by more minnow nations in the charade of a World Cup Qualification Campaign overseen by a bloke who had no coaching experience whatsoever prior to being thrown in at the top level.

I'll certainly sleep soundly tonight knowing the full story surrounding this whole sorry debacle

mackannovic
18/10/2007, 11:32 AM
Better an eL manager than a pensioner who last managed any form of team three years previously and spent (regretfully) more time in hospital than he did out on the training field doing what the FAI paid him to do...

Methinks you should go back to gawping at a big screen showing over paid prima donnas getting embarrased by more minnow nations in the charade of a World Cup Qualification Campaign overseen by a bloke who had no coaching experience whatsoever prior to being thrown in at the top level.

I'll certainly sleep soundly tonight knowing the full story surrounding this whole sorry debacle

The whole idea of employing a manager who needs an advisor on how to do his job is lunacy.

an_ceannaire
18/10/2007, 11:33 AM
i know it wont happen....but just imagine....imagine if Roy took it!!! What it would do for football in Ireland. Oh God ....we can dream....sigh :(

Drumcondra 69er
18/10/2007, 11:35 AM
Aldridge is the definition of rinky dink

Really? Got a minnow like Tranmere to a major cup final. Kept them challenging a a higher level then they're traditionally at for years on a shoestring till his best players were sold from under him. Had an exceptional record in cup football against Premier League teams.

I don't think he's the answer now and he's certainly not 'world class' but his club record was similar to, and in fact superior to Sanchez's when he got the NI job and look how well he did.

Aldridge was the ideal candidate last time out when the FAI wanted to do it on the cheap, they won't get away with doing it that way now after the Staunton debacle.

Dodge
18/10/2007, 11:35 AM
One who does menial or trivial work (like managing a team of players far below international standard); a drudge.

I guarentee you EVERY manager in the LOI is better than the current Irish boss.

Réiteoir
18/10/2007, 11:36 AM
The whole idea of employing a manager who needs an advisor on how to do his job is lunacy.

Actually - something struck me just now - going back to your initial point/rant/etc.

Would you let League One managers have input into the England job???

No - the FAI actually made him the manager of the International side...

mackannovic
18/10/2007, 11:36 AM

I don't disagree but I wouldn't want any of them involved in the national team just as I don't want the current setup to be involved any further.

Drumcondra 69er
18/10/2007, 11:37 AM
i know it wont happen....but just imagine....imagine if Roy took it!!! What it would do for football in Ireland. Oh God ....we can dream....sigh :(

Cheque book manager and currently faling despite spending €50m on players. Totally unproven and a ludicrous suggestion at present.

Réiteoir
18/10/2007, 11:37 AM

Including Gareth Farrelly... :ball:

an_ceannaire
18/10/2007, 11:42 AM
He wasnt a cheque book manager when he took a group of players far inferior to the current Irish team from the bottom of the Champ and won it! The only player he brought in who he consistently stuck with was Ross Wallace and possibly Yorkie. He will consolidate them in the PL this year. Agreed he is not good with the cash, but thats not a problem with IRELAND! The man is THEEE man motivator, you only have to listen to the Mackems players talk about being in awe of him. He took a very poor squad and made them wwaayyy better than the sum of their parts. Birmingham and WBA were far stronger personnell wise.
Imagine what he could do with a talented team of Irish boys who prob grew up idolising him.
I know he wont touch it with a barge pole, but by God, I think he would be the perfect man for the job in every way.
And imagine the profile football would return to in the press and national interest again!

Dodge
18/10/2007, 11:52 AM
I don't disagree but I wouldn't want any of them involved in the national team just as I don't want the current setup to be involved any further.

YOu have to be realistic. The FAI can't afford much better. The least they should do is get somebody who's managed at some level.

As has been pointed out, if there was a stroger league here we may have more funds available

mackannovic
18/10/2007, 11:54 AM
YOu have to be realistic. The FAI can't afford much better. The least they should do is get somebody who's managed at some level.

As has been pointed out, if there was a stroger league here we may have more funds available

We tried the Eircom League route with Kerr and we all saw what happened there. If we stopped wasting money on rinky dink managers we'd have more funds available.

Piltownpossy
18/10/2007, 11:55 AM
My own take on it is that last time round - Venables should have got the job. See the football England were playing during his reign, culminating in the rout against Holland. Reading Fowlers book about that time, Venables came across as a man he knew both his stuff and how to create that team ethic.

This time round? How about Souness?

Drumcondra 69er
18/10/2007, 11:56 AM
He wasnt a cheque book manager when he took a group of players far inferior to the current Irish team from the bottom of the Champ and won it! The only player he brought in who he consistently stuck with was Ross Wallace and possibly Yorkie. He will consolidate them in the PL this year. Agreed he is not good with the cash, but thats not a problem with IRELAND! The man is THEEE man motivator, you only have to listen to the Mackems players talk about being in awe of him. He took a very poor squad and made them wwaayyy better than the sum of their parts. Birmingham and WBA were far stronger personnell wise.
Imagine what he could do with a talented team of Irish boys who prob grew up idolising him.
I know he wont touch it with a barge pole, but by God, I think he would be the perfect man for the job in every way.
And imagine the profile football would return to in the press and national interest again!

No offence but Keane spent got more backing and had a higher net spend then anyone in the Championship last season bar Derby I think. he did a good job turning them round but a £6m stg spend on players at very high wages is a hell of a lot for that level, Connolly, Edwards and Stokes all cost between 1 and 2m and had he various other signing in and around 500k - 1m.

McCarthy did a better job winning that league with sod all cash much as it sticks in people's craws. keane may well prove to be a good manager in future but he's way to inexperienced and tactically naive right now.

And you're right he wouldn't go near it.