PDA

View Full Version : New Irish manager

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

rambler14
07/10/2006, 9:24 PM
I'm Willing To Throw My Hat Into The Ring. I'm 17 & Know How To Pick An Irish Squad Unlike Stan. I'm A Well Sought After Manager On Champ Manager My Achievements Include:-scottish 3rd & 2nd Division Champion/ Runner-up Scottish Challenge Cup With Gretna.
-fa Cup Winner With Sheff United
-scottish League Cup Winner(x2)/league Winners(x2)/scottish Cup Winners(x2) With Celtic.
I've Also Won A Couple Of Premierships & Champions Leagues On Fifa With Man Utd.
Well I've Stated My Case If That Doesn't Make Me A Shoe In Pick Alan Curbishley.

DeNiro
07/10/2006, 9:30 PM
I think bringing back Kerr would be stomping over old ground. Let's have someone with pedigree at managing over paid, under achieving senior internationals

el punter
07/10/2006, 9:35 PM
el punter i strongly disagree (as player development is a function of the clubs those players play with, NOT a function of an international manager)

the idea that international teams develop players is fanciful

International teams are not responsible for developing players, but players develop as international footballers by getting experience representing their country. They play a different type of football against different types of opposition than they do with their club and so need exposure to it to be able to perform competently when needed. Exclusively fielding the best XI in friendly internationals leaves us short of a plan B when one is needed.

Dodge
07/10/2006, 9:37 PM
International teams are not responsible for developing players, but players develop as international footballers by getting experience representing their country. They play a different type of football against different types of opposition than they do with their club and so need exposure to it to be able to perform competently when needed. Exclusively fielding the best XI in friendly internationals leaves us short of a plan B when one is needed.

A little unfair as plenty of players got their debuts under Kerr but frindlies mean so little these days that they'd learn more playing for their clubs than friendlies no one else cares about

pete
07/10/2006, 9:43 PM
Exclusively fielding the best XI in friendly internationals leaves us short of a plan B when one is needed.

I think Kerr had the right idea about not blooding too many players in friendlies he just took it too far. I think he used the logic of not trying players who unproven at club level yet which has a certain logic to it.
Staunton on the other hand will bring 16 year kids into the squad & give international debuts to players before they evem make club debuts.

dfx-
07/10/2006, 9:46 PM
Is it that bad for some people that Kerr actually looks like he did well?

He was better than Staunton, by just simply reverting to hoofball and keeping everyone back - I'll never forget that performance in Israel.

He looks better than Staunton because he has managed at some level. Staunton hasn't. The call for kerr to be sacked was on the basis that we could get a manager that (a) has managed (Stan fails) and (b) try something new with the side (where Kerr failed)

Go back and watch that Switzerland home game to see the future under Kerr and the painful inevitability of the 0-0 draw.

ifk101
07/10/2006, 9:47 PM
I think Kerr had the right idea about not blooding too many players in friendlies he just took it too far. I think he used the logic of not trying players who unproven at club level yet which has a certain logic to it.
Staunton on the other hand will bring 16 year kids into the squad & give international debuts to players before they evem make club debuts.

Kerr wanted a club-type professionalism with the national side. He wanted everyone to be drilled on organisation, tactics and all that's expected of them.

Our players want regular mini holidays away from their clubs - Stan's giving them that.

Seagull
07/10/2006, 9:48 PM
Bray in Belfield Friday night, that sh1te tonight- how much misery can one man take??? And the great news is the idiot who gave the job to Staunton, after promising a 'world class manager' now has his hands on the eircom league. Where's me rope? :eek:

wws
07/10/2006, 9:52 PM
Go back and watch that Switzerland home game to see the future under Kerr and the painful inevitability of the 0-0 draw.

I'd bite your hand off for a 0-0 in Cyprus if you offered it to me before this game. We were always gonna struggle against these - but the extent of the shambles was the shock

im a total kerr fan - knows what hes about (knows damn well what we have on our hands squad wise - i personally dont rate many of them I have to be honest and just say that as I ve consistently said on this forum that some of them are completely overhyped )

dfx-
07/10/2006, 9:58 PM
I'd bite your hand off for a 0-0 in Cyprus if you offered it to me before this game. We were always gonna struggle against these - but the extent of the shambles was the shock

As Stuttgart88 has said somewhere, getting a 'crappy waxy' result tonight would be only fooling ourselves. Bringing Kerr back would be doing likewise. A crappy lucky 0-0 draw or even 0-1 win is of no use 'going forward'.

They're something like the tenth worst team in Europe - 0-0 or 0-1 is not good enough.

as_i_say
07/10/2006, 10:02 PM
i would admit that its pretty unlikely a kerr team of the same players would have lost 5-2 to cyprus -we probably would have gotten a 0-0

wws
07/10/2006, 10:03 PM
hey

we lost 5 - 2

THATS THE LEVEL OF OUR CURRENT PLAYERS MINUS THE GREAT MAN SHAY GIVEN TO SAVE THEIR ALL TOo PLAIN TO SEE INEPTITUDE

wake up to the reality of the players we have and what they are really about at this level

Dodge
07/10/2006, 10:03 PM
Don't you get it?! We're one of the worst teams in europe. What Kerr did was get the players to OVER achieve those 0-0 results. The players have found their rightful level. Look at the spine of the Swiss team and our spine and tell me that man for man they are not 10 times better (Senderos, Vogel, Frei, Yakin) than ours...

as_i_say
07/10/2006, 10:06 PM
yeah but this is cyprus we're talking about here. it was still nearly an all premiership outfit-man for man we're not up to the swiss but bloody hell we should be still able to beat cyprus or at least not leak 5 goals!

Dodge
07/10/2006, 10:07 PM
yeah but this is cyprus we're talking about here. it was still nearly an all premiership outfit-man for man we're not up to the swiss but bloody hell we should be still able to beat cyprus or at least not leak 5 goals!

Agree, and Kerr did beat them (BTW some of their players play regular champions league)

wws
07/10/2006, 10:12 PM

I would tread very carefully around a team that could boast a current CL standard goal scorer - they demand a certain level of respect - its clear the ireland set up and players didnt appreciate just what they were dealing with

cyprus for the record also gave a bloody good account of themselves v the aforementioned swiss and french IN cyprus - where they are a totally different proposition to away from home

we needed to be prepared and have done our homework - we clearly went in with the arrogance of "sure its only fcking cyprus"

the gas part was Kerr was co commentator on TV3 - and even from this limited evidence appeared to know more about Cyprus and their players than I guess poor ol stan and laurel did from the evidence of the defending on display

Billsthoughts
07/10/2006, 10:13 PM
as I say thats the point. we wouldnt have leaked 5 goals if the team was well organised. it wasnt and we did. worse to come on wed. the day you start dismissing 4 nil home defeats as irrelevant cause its a friendly is the day you sow the seeds for shipping 5 goals away to cyprus. Fact is there are a lot of players who play in the premiership. Our ones are drawn from the lower end of the food chain...

as_i_say
07/10/2006, 10:19 PM
yes they are an improved side-i'd compare them with the likes of albania and they definitely deserved respect after what they nearly did to us the last time but i think the manner of the defeat is so shocking. had we lost 1-0 or something i'm not sure it would have been a shock, just a natural progression of the last few results. in general our players are of a higher standard so the whole thing is still quite appaling.

DmanDmythDledge
07/10/2006, 10:21 PM
The FAI would look like even bigger gobshítes if they offered the job back to Kerr. He wouldn't take the job anyway after the way he was fúcked about with.

Co Adriaanse - Available, clean slate for all the players, Dutch, so probably good English

Curbishley - Available, successful, perhaps lacking a bit in passion, but good all round

Big Sam - Maybe available soon, gritty, gets the best out of players, ideal i would say

Louis Van Gaal - At AZ Alkmaar, we would be a bigger fish surely and he didn't get his reputation for nothing

Alex Mcleish - ex-Rangers, would annoy the Celtic shirt wearing saturday night rebel element of the fan base, a good thing imho. I think he could do well

Gary Megson - Could do well, available cheapish

Bryan Robson - Available, cheap, the sort of idiot they could go for

David O'Leary - For the love of God no!!!
Add Stephen Kenny to that list.

Kerr got us FOURTH . . . behind ISRAEL.

Kerr was crap - he got sacked
Luck was not with us in that campaign. One more goal against Israel twice, Switzerland, France and we would have qualified. Fourth wasn't too bad considering the narrow margin between 1st and 4th.

Is it that bad for some people that Kerr actually looks like he did well?

He was better than Staunton, by just simply reverting to hoofball and keeping everyone back - I'll never forget that performance in Israel.

He looks better than Staunton because he has managed at some level. Staunton hasn't. The call for kerr to be sacked was on the basis that we could get a manager that (a) has managed (Stan fails) and (b) try something new with the side (where Kerr failed)

So you think losing 5-2 to Cyprus is better than that. Results are the most important thing you worry about. Style of play is a minor detail.

as_i_say
07/10/2006, 10:25 PM
hmm dunno about the luck thing at all. we were leading 1-0 in israel and went completely defensive-a goal was always on the cards. at 2-0 up at home he brought on kavanagh when keane got injured instead of going for the win. we WERE lucky to win in cyprus.

we could have played for 500 minutes and not scored a goal against the swiss at home when we needed a win. away against the swiss we were just bullied out of it after a good start and were lucky to get a draw.

same thing against france at home-we were never gonna concede that many but again never looked like scoring a goal against france. that for me was the poorest thing about kerr's teams-we never looked like truly beating those teams and had we taken more chances and been more positive we could have put israel away twice.

billybunter
07/10/2006, 10:32 PM
we mised the boat with bennhakker after the world cup( trinidad coach) - now with poland. top class coach. Klinsmann needs work, and the irish climate being so similiar to the californian one may make him an option.
seriously, would'nt mind seing curbishley - seems like a nice chap - and speaks sense. aldo would be my favorite, would love a houghton, or kevin moran either. i really thought it was a joke when the FAI announced staunton. did the drag through the character profiles of the last 20 years irish squads,and decide on the one with the least spark?

DmanDmythDledge
07/10/2006, 10:35 PM
Stephen Kenny. Pride, passion, excellent management- prepararion, man management, tactical nous, GETS THE BEST OUT OF HIS PLAYERS.

ifk101
07/10/2006, 10:37 PM
How about Don Givens or Dave Bassett?

Brooklyn ZMB
07/10/2006, 10:40 PM
I've got the perfect canidiate, Delaney.
He's got us into this mess, he must be the one to lead us out of it. He has to know something about the game, right. I mean he is in charge of the Football Association of a country which has so a rich traditionion of football such as ours.

wws
07/10/2006, 10:57 PM
hmm dunno about the luck thing at all. we were leading 1-0 in israel and went completely defensive-a goal was always on the cards. at 2-0 up at home he brought on kavanagh when keane got injured instead of going for the win. we WERE lucky to win in cyprus.

we could have played for 500 minutes and not scored a goal against the swiss at home when we needed a win. away against the swiss we were just bullied out of it after a good start and were lucky to get a draw.

same thing against france at home-we were never gonna concede that many but again never looked like scoring a goal against france. that for me was the poorest thing about kerr's teams-we never looked like truly beating those teams and had we taken more chances and been more positive we could have put israel away twice.

....just like Guus Hiddinks Russia managed at home tonight after going 1 up v Israel at home.
#
question : do you think we'd beat Israel tomorrow?

I dont think so.

Rossi
07/10/2006, 11:01 PM
Hold on a second were all forgetting that Stan has a contract for four years which means the FAI have to pay him his wages in compensation if they sack him.Considering how much the redevelopment of Landsdowne will cost,they just dont have the money.

However i would love Curbishly to get it as he would be an English manager manging Ireland in Croke Park!The GAA would love it!

Scratchy
07/10/2006, 11:04 PM
How about Don Givens or Dave Bassett?

Givens is part of the problem,not part of the solution.He should be removed from his position as soon as possible.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Joe Kinnear given a go.Failing that it would be nice to appoint a manager with some experience as opposed to one whose previous experience was coaching at a League 1 club.Either that or give Kerr another chance,which I know definately won't happen.

shakermaker1982
07/10/2006, 11:14 PM
Sven.....

dfx-
07/10/2006, 11:26 PM
Luck was not with us in that campaign. One more goal against Israel twice, Switzerland, France and we would have qualified. Fourth wasn't too bad considering the narrow margin between 1st and 4th.

So you think losing 5-2 to Cyprus is better than that. Results are the most important thing you worry about. Style of play is a minor detail.

Kerr's tactics with the limited team got us 0-0 draws. We were lucky to escape a defeat against Switzerland at home, Israel at home we went 451 and Israel away well 1-0 up in four minutes and the same for Cyprus....I'll say nothing. We actually played Cyprus off the pitch for 8 minutes under Kerr, looked a good team, got the lead and sat back and he didn't seem to do anything about it. It wasn't luck, it was just about as much as we could get in the group when we were playing so defensively. When the time came for Kerr to do something different at home to Switzerland, he couldn't. He failed. He was better getting results than Staunton, but then Kerr does have some semblance of management - it's an unfair advantage;) Kerr is not the solution - he did better than Staunton, but that wouldn't be hard.

The 'advantage' of this 5-2 defeat is that brings some blinkered eyes to the problem in the country. Read Billy Lord's posts, Stuttgart88 as well - the problem lies much deeper than being able to scrap a 0-0 draw in Cyprus. Cyprus are the tenth worst team in Europe, Cork City beat their champions of the league which many of their players are sourced. There is something seriously seriously wrong if we can't beat them. Playing negatively and scraping a 0-0 draw is not solving the problem, it just looks better than 5-2.

wws
07/10/2006, 11:35 PM
Kerr's tactics with the limited team got us 0-0 draws. We were lucky to escape a defeat against Switzerland at home, Israel at home we went 451 and Israel away well 1-0 up in four minutes and the same for Cyprus....I'll say nothing. We actually played Cyprus off the pitch for 8 minutes under Kerr, looked a good team, got the lead and sat back and he didn't seem to do anything about it. It wasn't luck, it was just about as much as we could get in the group when we were playing so defensively. When the time came for Kerr to do something different at home to Switzerland, he couldn't. He failed. He was better getting results than Staunton, but then Kerr does have some semblance of management - it's an unfair advantage;) Kerr is not the solution - he did better than Staunton, but that wouldn't be hard.

The 'advantage' of this 5-2 defeat is that brings some blinkered eyes to the problem in the country. Read Billy Lord's posts, Stuttgart88 as well - the problem lies much deeper than being able to scrap a 0-0 draw in Cyprus. Cyprus are the tenth worst team in Europe, Cork City beat their champions of the league which many of their players are sourced. There is something seriously seriously wrong if we can't beat them. Playing negatively and scraping a 0-0 draw is not solving the problem, it just looks better than 5-2.

i guarantee you dfx that cyprus will pose a threat to one of the big three in our group (in cyprus)

they wont win 5-2 any time again but to dismeiss them as mugs in many ways shows up how ingrained the delusion about our current crop of players is

I'd have okkas and constandinho over ANY irish player of the last 4 years, and that is a fact!

dfx-
07/10/2006, 11:39 PM
They lost 6-1 to............Slovakia last month, ffs.

soccerc
07/10/2006, 11:43 PM
that is a fact!

Have you moved over to the dark side, Bohs, WWS, with this fact business ;)

wws
07/10/2006, 11:43 PM
seriously thats the way they are - its the mentality - they are brittle temprament (nearly lost it on several occassions tonight - in a game they were home and hosed in) - away they will get tanked - at home they've been steadily improving for years - and we in ireland knew EXACTLY what to expect - **** at the back - a threat goin forward - that the irish team looked shell shocked by this fact is frankly bizarre

in response to your scoreline point v slovakia

they just whacked wales 5-1 in cardiff

if we beat wales home or away - WE'LL BE DOIN WELL in my book!

Metrostars
08/10/2006, 12:19 AM
My U-6 team has won 5 out of 5 so far this season including a 9-2 win this morning..

backstothewall
08/10/2006, 12:35 AM
Beats a 5-2 defeat by a f*cking holiday resort i suppose

But based on that anyone who has ever played football manager has a good chance. I once won the european cup with Preston.

highlight100
08/10/2006, 8:51 AM
We need Fat Pat

I fail too see how he will save us...? :confused:

He could sit on the opposition....

Peadar
08/10/2006, 9:26 AM
I think there was some club in the lower french leagues who had website members pick the team. Not sure how they worked out...

There was a club in Finland where the fans sent text messages to the manager, during the game, instructing him on what changes he should make. Bit of a money spinner, if nothing else.

pete
08/10/2006, 10:27 AM
Probably the difference with Kerr is that we would be competitive against the best teams in the group & possibly too defensive to put away trhe poor teams away from home. On the otherhand Staunton is well just sh!te against all teams. I think we have no hope next wednesday & a win at home to San Marino by any score will be good now.

I think the players lost confidence in Keer but at he would prepare the team properly. Would be interesting to know what the players really think of Staunton.

Cosmo
08/10/2006, 10:38 AM
Kerr was nowhere near perfect but I'm a great believer in if you're getting rid of a manger you replace him with someone better!!

Kerr was very harshly treated when you consider the standard of staunton!!

Staunton is useless and I hope he gets the bullet or walks asap before too much damage is done!!

This 4 year sh!te is a cop out - we'll be well down the rankings for the draw for the world cup and that'll be us fcuked for a long long time!

Staunton out!!

SeanC
08/10/2006, 11:32 AM
Are you f8cking serious? Did you hear him commentating on TV3 tonight? What a tool.

In fact he was a model of restrait.

The root cause of this is that the FAI chairman, John Delaney, and his cronies actually know nothing about football. The media (Eamon Dunphy in particular) can hang their heads in shame. Add the leprechaun factor (like you) and face it we are ****ed.

MarkyH
08/10/2006, 11:56 AM
The man show is to blame for all this is John Delaney. He couldn't wait to get rid of Kerr and was all promises of a "world class" apointment. What did we get - the Walsall reserve coach. If anyone deserves to get stick on Wednesday night it is Delaney. The fact that he is in charge of the el now is a scary thought.

Kerr always put out an organised side and imo got as much as possible out of a very average bunchof players. The delusions of some of the bar stool oirish fans, that just because we have 10 premiership players in the starting line-up, we are a good team is laughable. Derry or Cork (who beat the cypriot champions in the CL) would have down a better job last nite.

Fingal hoop
08/10/2006, 2:17 PM
If only he was still playing we wouldnt have conceded any goals
if only he was still manager as we got to 2 play offs in a transitional period and did very well at the world cup

I dont like this post genesis brave new world that Keane stood up for

brine3
08/10/2006, 2:48 PM
This isn't the post-Genesis brave new world. Genesis was never implemented, it was put in a drawer and forgot about.

This isn't what Keane stood up for either. Mick Byrne is back, the scoops are back, the lack of ambition is back. Stan is like the Irish Bryan Robson.

DmanDmythDledge
08/10/2006, 3:31 PM
and did very well at the world cup
I can't understand why people thought we did well at the WC. We were second seeds and were only expected to get to the second round.

Noelys Guitar
08/10/2006, 4:04 PM
I think we should start a whipround for a Tardis and head back to 1990.

I'm checking things out on Ebay!

Samtheman2006
08/10/2006, 5:02 PM
Aldridge for Ireland

onenilgameover
08/10/2006, 5:09 PM
Stephen Kenny. Pride, passion, excellent management- prepararion, man management, tactical nous, GETS THE BEST OUT OF HIS PLAYERS.

not a bad idea at all!!

OwlsFan
08/10/2006, 5:15 PM
He was appointed manager of the Portuguese side Sporting Lisbon, but only lasted one season in the post. His most success as a manager has come in Spain, where he managed Real Madrid twice and Real Sociedad three times, and Deportivo La Coruna and Real Murcia once each. He has also managed the Turkish side Besiktas JK and French side AS Saint-Étienne. He was appointed manager of the Welsh national football team for the first time in 1994, but only spent 41 days in the post, resigning after a 3-1 defeat to Norway. Despite this, he was appointed to the post for a second time in November 2004.

He lost the most recent game at home to Slovakia 1-5!!

Sometimes experience counts for squat diddlie doo.

blobbyblob
08/10/2006, 5:25 PM
Graham Taylor - Back to basics. No more experimentation.

Dr. Ogba
08/10/2006, 5:33 PM
After watching the coverage on TV3 yesterday and seeing the reactions I reckon Aldo could be the ideal man for the job. He has the passion, he has been a manager before (although this is obviously not a prerequisite for taking over the Irish job anymore!) and has a decent record in cup competitions. When you think about it he has a very similar record to that of Lawrie Sanchez and look what he's doing with an arguably less talented squad up north...