PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

patrickccfc
05/11/2021, 11:20 AM
Ally Gilchrist signs for us from Shelbourne. Solid signing that. Aaron Bolger already confirmed for next year. Rumours that James Doona will be the next to be announced.

Martinho II
05/11/2021, 6:51 PM
See in the Sun today that shels Ml O Connor has left shels wonder where he will go?

total hoofball
05/11/2021, 7:17 PM
Bit perplexed by Gilchrist and O'Connor leaving two days after Duff appointed, both I would have thought would have been sure fire to return. Looks like Shels didn't want to keep O'Connor, he's very physical a bit of a character but very hard working striker maybe a victim of Morris' system that he didn't score enough goals

Gilchrist is a top signing for Cork clearly the type of defender you need if you have ambitions for automatic promotion

Nesta99
06/11/2021, 7:54 AM
See in the Sun today that shels Ml O Connor has left shels wonder where he will go?

A big pay day transfer to Burnley as soon as Sean Dyche hears he's available:rolleyes: He really doesnt seem to stick for clubs yet he has ability and can score goals if playing regularly. When he moved to Linfield he gave an interview that suggested he was maturing and focusing on his football and not the nightlife. Longford could be where he goes to next actually Martin, being goal shy it could be worth a punt and depending on the new manager the closer knit type club that Longford is could be a help to him. He's definitely good enough for the 1st Division if he is focused. He'll be 24 next season so no longer a young prospect and whatever it is that stops him staying at a club for longer than a season, carving something of a legacy for himself at a club, is passing him by!

Gilchrist was never particularly highly rated, decent 1st Division player or budget cover squadman at Premier level.

Martinho II
06/11/2021, 3:51 PM
A big pay day transfer to Burnley as soon as Sean Dyche hears he's available:rolleyes: He really doesnt seem to stick for clubs yet he has ability and can score goals if playing regularly. When he moved to Linfield he gave an interview that suggested he was maturing and focusing on his football and not the nightlife. Longford could be where he goes to next actually Martin, being goal shy it could be worth a punt and depending on the new manager the closer knit type club that Longford is could be a help to him. He's definitely good enough for the 1st Division if he is focused. He'll be 24 next season so no longer a young prospect and whatever it is that stops him staying at a club for longer than a season, carving something of a legacy for himself at a club, is passing him by!

Gilchrist was never particularly highly rated, decent 1st Division player or budget cover squadman at Premier level.

If Ml OConnor joins us I would gladly take him compared to a certain ex Athlone Town plyr/mgr of same name that nearly broke the club pre SK Nesta!

Nesta99
06/11/2021, 5:15 PM
Agreed, it really could be a good fit though Dundalk could well need him with all the rumours of or current squad departing. Tbh Id sway much more to blaming a club's board for financially damaging a club, letting a manager spend money that isnt there, they will always look for more and more for players' wages. Except for John Caulfield, both he and Foras were responsibe for Corks financial troubles, just 'cause I feel like including him in that particular mess.

Onapointoforder
06/11/2021, 6:27 PM
ML O Connor to Bohs..

patrickccfc
06/11/2021, 9:04 PM
Doona confirmed today. Great to see these signings nice and early.

Nesta99
06/11/2021, 11:51 PM
ML O Connor to Bohs..

Dundalk, Harps, Rovers, Waterford, Linfield, Shels, and now maybe Bohs...he could complete some set with time at Drogs and Glens, (probably not Derry now but ye never know).

sulywaterfordfc
08/11/2021, 4:25 PM
There’s reports today Junior and Phoenix have signed long term deals lasting three years.

Poor Student
08/11/2021, 5:57 PM
Rumours in the papers are that both Shelbourne and Shamrock Rovers are looking at Kerrigan and Whelan from UCD.

sheao
08/11/2021, 6:43 PM
Kevin O'Connor in talks to return to Cork City https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40740063.html

total hoofball
08/11/2021, 6:50 PM
Rumours in the papers are that both Shelbourne and Shamrock Rovers are looking at Kerrigan and Whelan from UCD.

Both players are still doing their degrees out in UCD and with Shels taking about moving to full-time morning training I don't see how Shels would suit both of them. Compensation could also be problem unless Shels owners are willing to stump up Sligo for Kerrigan and Waterford for Whelan would be due cuts too

And for Kevin O'Connor I heard it was unlikely he will be returning to Shels, he would be another great pick-up for Cork

joey B
08/11/2021, 7:33 PM
Pat Hoban is telling people he wants a job,can Dundalk sort it out?!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40739841.html

Nesta99
08/11/2021, 7:44 PM
There actually seems to be a hint of light at the end of the tunnel on the sale of the club. But like any negotiated sale until it signed and sealed I wont be getting hopes up yet. It is possible it could happen in time to get talking to players currently at the club.

wonder88
08/11/2021, 9:56 PM
It is great to see that a lot of league of Ireland players are able to get mortgages these days, wages can't be too bad.

total hoofball
09/11/2021, 5:27 PM
Martin Russell confirmed as new Athlone manager

Guitd
09/11/2021, 9:01 PM
Pat Hoban is telling people he wants a job,can Dundalk sort it out?!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40739841.html

On the way to Galway along with Dylan McGlade 👍

Nesta99
09/11/2021, 9:45 PM
Is JC still signing attacking players never to use them?

Buller
09/11/2021, 10:38 PM
Is JC still signing attacking players never to use them?

I know!! I remember watching Cork City a few years back scratching my head when he had both Kieran Sadlier and Barry McNamee sitting together on the bench.

Nesta99
10/11/2021, 5:14 PM
It was amusing when Graham Cummins resigned even - as Forward Defender - just perfect for John!

colonelwest
10/11/2021, 8:17 PM
Dundalk out: Peak6
Dundalk in: Andy Connolly & Statsports

Martinho II
10/11/2021, 8:55 PM
Had forgotten that Barry McNamee was with Cork City how long ago was this?

patrickccfc
11/11/2021, 10:49 PM
Had forgotten that Barry McNamee was with Cork City how long ago was this?

2018. Him missing a sitter against Legia Warsaw is what I remember him for most.

Nesta99
11/11/2021, 11:03 PM
Cut him some slack, there were nosebleeds all round being that far up the pitch!

Jack B
12/11/2021, 9:33 AM
Bohs "sounding out" Jack Byrne apparently. Surely they'll have to lay off the poet and environmental officer at least to be able to afford that.

pateen
12/11/2021, 12:36 PM
Theres' a poet at Bohs :shock:

sadloserkid
12/11/2021, 1:18 PM
Bohs "sounding out" Jack Byrne apparently. Surely they'll have to lay off the poet and environmental officer at least to be able to afford that.

Are Bohs not still part-time? Surely Byrne has full-time ball in him still - he seems to have a fairly unusual mindset for a footballer (not, I stress, necessarily for better or worse) but it would seem a weird backwards step for the guy.

sbgawa
12/11/2021, 3:15 PM
That's just bohs getting their journo pals to spin nonsense.
Don't know if Jack is coming back to rovers but he certainly isn't signing for part timers in a derelict stadium.

ToberonaTornado
12/11/2021, 3:45 PM
That's just bohs getting their journo pals to spin nonsense.
Don't know if Jack is coming back to rovers but he certainly isn't signing for part timers in a derelict stadium.

All slagging apart - and as a neutral- Just can't see Jack Byrne signing for Bohs tbh.:D
But sure i'm sure one of the Derry lads might have a story from the Derry Journal:p;) Simon on there has everyone signing for them!

D24Saint
12/11/2021, 4:08 PM
Theres' a poet at Bohs :shock:

& a Bard & a official club Seanchaí.

joey B
12/11/2021, 4:10 PM
Jack Byrne meant to be signing with Rovers over the weekend per the Irish examiner…

Martinho II
12/11/2021, 9:17 PM
Jack Byrne meant to be signing with Rovers over the weekend per the Irish examiner…

Was listening to Game On just now and Jack Byrne has resigned for SR according to them!Great coup!

oriel
13/11/2021, 12:43 PM
Dundalk FC - Out (Jim Magilton)

Martinho II
13/11/2021, 1:53 PM
Dundalk FC - Out (Jim Magilton)

Is that definitely confirmed Oriel? I know he was sidelined under VP. He was on BBC NI last nite doing punditry of NI game. Strangely enough the captions for JM didnt mention a thing about him at Dundalk so it must be true!

oriel
13/11/2021, 3:05 PM
Is that definitely confirmed Oriel? I know he was sidelined under VP. He was on BBC NI last nite doing punditry of NI game. Strangely enough the captions for JM didnt mention a thing about him at Dundalk so it must be true!

It sure is Martinho, and almost everyone seems happy to see the back of him.

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status/1459491421216456707?s=20

Also seems he won't be getting too big of a pay out either, even better:

https://twitter.com/McDonnellDan/status/1459510245710086154?s=20

Calcio Jack
15/11/2021, 3:37 PM
A great player and a great character - will be missed ; at least we’ll have the opportunity to give him the send off he deserves on Friday

Shamrock Rovers F.C. confirm that defender Joey O’Brien has decided not to re-sign as a player for our 2022 Squad and will, instead, take up a coaching role at Shelbourne F.C.

As a self-professed Rovers fan we understand that this was not an easy decision for him to make and we wish him well.

Signed in 2018, Joey made 85 appearances for the first team scoring 4 goals. He has been part of the playing group that has won a trophy in each of the last three seasons and will be missed by the squad, management and the fans.

An SRFCTV video with Joey will be published on www.shamrockrovers.ie on Tuesday where Joey recalls his best memories with the Hoops and says his goodbye to the fans.

Bucket
15/11/2021, 4:19 PM
He'll be very difficult to replace. Is he going to register as a player with Shels?

Martinho II
15/11/2021, 6:51 PM
He'll be very difficult to replace. Is he going to register as a player with Shels?

I know JOB was linked with Dave Rogers if he had taken the job as Shels manager so I would imagine he would be a player coach. Could be wrong mind you!

2 Year Contract
15/11/2021, 8:02 PM
Ryan Brennan the latest player to announce he’s been turfed out of Shels by Duff. Would be a good signing for Drogheda next season IMO

boynemunich
15/11/2021, 8:22 PM
Ryan Brennan the latest player to announce he’s been turfed out of Shels by Duff. Would be a good signing for Drogheda next season IMO

I'm surprised by that would have expected him to be kept on at Shels and to be offered more than what Drogheda could offer. Can't see him ending up anywhere else now really. Duff must be looking at bringing in some big talent if he's not required, sounded like he was their best player last year.

Nesta99
15/11/2021, 8:58 PM
He has been around so long I was surprised that he was only 30. He is a player that if interested he could be regularly the best on the pitch but if disinterested just didnt give a damn, a sulker if played out of his favoured position. He seemed to be more often disinterested. Maybe he did have a good season with Shels but is he reliable, and always up for a game these days? A character that could be disruptive in a dressing room. There is a sense that Duff is going for a clean slate as much as possible. Possibly a good signing for Drogheda if it happens if it doesnt disrupt the close unit Clancy has built. That said I felt that signing Shels castoffs that were relegated like Deegan was poor thinking and Deegan turned out to be an important signing although he did have history with clancy that might have helped.

joey B
15/11/2021, 9:04 PM
He has been around so long I was surprised that he was only 30. He is a player that if interested he could be regularly the best on the pitch but if disinterested just didnt give a damn, a sulker if played out of his favoured position. He seemed to be more often disinterested. Maybe he did have a good season with Shels but is he reliable, and always up for a game these days? A character that could be disruptive in a dressing room. There is a sense that Duff is going for a clean slate as much as possible. Possibly a good signing for Drogheda if it happens if it doesnt disrupt the close unit Clancy has built. That said I felt that signing Shels castoffs that were relegated like Deegan was poor thinking and Deegan turned out to be an important signing although he did have history with clancy that might have helped.

Could be a good squad player at Dundalk if the moneys tight…..,

sidcon
16/11/2021, 5:54 AM
Celtic set to sign Danny Mandroiu according to the Sun, apparently we're looking at him since the summer but decided to wait and see his development

Kiki Balboa
16/11/2021, 7:22 AM
Celtic set to sign Danny Mandroiu according to the Sun, apparently we're looking at him since the summer but decided to wait and see his development

He has turned into a better player than I personally expected at Rovers (was expecting something like a Mark Quigley at Rovers), but just like Scales, I really don't see that high of a ceiling that Celtic would need.

SeanDrog
16/11/2021, 7:36 AM

Sean Brennan is on Clancy’s coaching team so first line of contact into Ryan :) I’d be happy to see him coming to us - sure if he gets uppity then Sean can have a brotherly chat.

total hoofball
16/11/2021, 12:44 PM
I'm surprised by that would have expected him to be kept on at Shels and to be offered more than what Drogheda could offer. Can't see him ending up anywhere else now really. Duff must be looking at bringing in some big talent if he's not required, sounded like he was their best player last year.
I don't think Shels seem to accommodating anything but day-time training which has resulted in Brennan leaving and likely more of our starting XI which is a huge gamble for a team just promoted unless there is serious quality coming in.

Brennan has been our best player for the past 3 seasons at the peak of his career I would be surprised if he didn't end up back at Drogheda

Bunny Kelly
16/11/2021, 12:52 PM
I don't think Shels seem to accommodating anything but day-time training which has resulted in Brennan leaving and likely more of our starting XI which is a huge gamble for a team just promoted unless there is serious quality coming in.

Brennan has been our best player for the past 3 seasons at the peak of his career I would be surprised if he didn't end up back at Drogheda

Is Brennan at this stage more suited for a good top of first division side where he can get on the end of things, than a bottom half Prem Div side where you will be playing further away from goal & need to work without the ball more?

total hoofball
16/11/2021, 6:39 PM
Is Brennan at this stage more suited for a good top of first division side where he can get on the end of things, than a bottom half Prem Div side where you will be playing further away from goal & need to work without the ball more?
You could say after a 15 goal season in the First Division sweeping in behind the striker that he would be more impactful for a team at the top of the First Division but in our relegation season in 2020 in an awful footballing team he was also mostly very good playing deeper in midfield and came up with crucial goals

Drogheda would be the obvious destination on his doorstep and Clancy's football would be a good fit though I'd expect Harps and any first division teams who have a budget to try sign him

Longfordian
18/11/2021, 8:02 PM
Any reliable talk as to what Dundalk are doing manager wise? Heard a whisper tonight that seems unlikely.