PDA

View Full Version : James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73

DannyInvincible
03/01/2012, 9:50 PM
Just heard the radio presenter say james McClean as mcclain are in lane rather then clean is in lean.

"McKlain" is the correct pronunciation, as far as I know.

He's really gotten off to a stormer at Sunderland. Fair play to him! Is MOTD on tomorrow night? Didn't get to see the game.

harry crumb
03/01/2012, 9:53 PM
They wouldn't pass the ball to the guy in the 1st half against Man. city.

Now, he's "the great white hope"

Mclean on left and Duff/Coleman on the right could be the future.

geysir
03/01/2012, 9:56 PM

Yes Danny, none of that sissy toothpaste stuff, but McKlain? I'd use (Die Hard) McClane.

the bear
03/01/2012, 9:58 PM
what about the general with martin k-hill

tricky_colour
03/01/2012, 10:06 PM

He's really gotten off to a stormer at Sunderland. Fair play to him! Is MOTD on tomorrow night? Didn't get to see the game.

Yes it is on tomorrow at 11pm, thanks for reminding me!!
also you can download it here is you can't wait! (http://forum.rojadirecta.es/showthread.php?151356-FUTBOL-EPL-Wigan-v.-Sunderland-03-01-2012)

swinfordfc
03/01/2012, 10:14 PM
Thats another €6000 for Derry City .... well done James McClean.

tetsujin1979
03/01/2012, 10:45 PM
yeah, he's in good form, but an he do it on a wet night in....actually, never mind

DannyInvincible
03/01/2012, 11:02 PM
what about the general with martin k-hill

Not to forget Jamie Carrigger...

DannyInvincible
03/01/2012, 11:11 PM
Just on that, is it Darren "O'Dee" or "O'Day"? And Aiden "McGeedy" or "McGaydy" like Liam Brady says?

peadar1987
03/01/2012, 11:22 PM
Gary Dockerty and Kevin Mor-ahn. Irish legends both!

tricky_colour
03/01/2012, 11:53 PM
http://www.adthe.us/streams/CreepyTV4.html

Lovely goal there, shades of Roberto Carlos against France.

Just seen the goal in download quality, that was a real cracker, couldn't really see much on the crap stream I had.
I expect that will clocking up some views on youtube!

Olé Olé
04/01/2012, 12:18 AM
Smashing finish, delighted for the lad. O'Neill's confidence in him is being repaid. What are the chances of McClean and Pilkington on the flanks for the next friendly? Quite unlikely, given Trap's conservative approach to friendlies, but fairly justifiable on the basis of form.

DannyInvincible
04/01/2012, 1:08 AM
Goals here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/wigan-1-sunderland-4/

Sammon unfortunate not to be awarded Wigan's goal as it looked like he took a bit of a swing at it rather than Rodallega's shot simply having deflected off him unwittingly. Difficult to know for sure...

geysir
04/01/2012, 7:21 AM
And Aiden "McGeedy" or "McGaydy" like Liam Brady says?
Neither, it's McGeddy.

How is McGeady pronounced in Donegal?

ArdeeBhoy
04/01/2012, 9:00 AM
Last 5 minutes of the Kazakh away game will be his test.

ifk101
04/01/2012, 9:29 AM
The amount of pats on the back he got last night coming off the field. Hope he didn't pick up an injury. :)

Murfinator
04/01/2012, 10:47 AM
Smashing finish, delighted for the lad. O'Neill's confidence in him is being repaid. What are the chances of McClean and Pilkington on the flanks for the next friendly? Quite unlikely, given Trap's conservative approach to friendlies, but fairly justifiable on the basis of form.

Justifiable because he's started 2 games? "lol"

It would be downright pointless given the number of wingers we have ahead of them. Coleman is the next in line to be given his chance anyways. He'll probably play Hunt/Coleman or Hunt/Fahey in the next friendly game. Those are the guys behind Duff/McGeady and those are the guys who need the gametime to stake their claim. Trap will justifiably ignore flavour of the month players.

Closed Account
04/01/2012, 11:02 AM
There's no need to go clamouring for a McClean callup, I'd let him know that the management have an eye on him, but that he won't be considered for Euro 2012, take some pressure off him.
He has plenty of time in his career to become a full international.

Missed it at the time but Harry Redknapp picked him out as one to watch in 2012
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/4020547/Harry-Redknapps-six-to-follow-in-2012.html

James McClean, Sunderland

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01428/harry_mclean_12_68_1428349a.jpg CAT TO THE FUTURE ... McClean can make the grade

THE first I knew of McClean was when he came on as a sub during Martin O'Neill's first game in charge of Sunderland.

He's a good, old-fashioned left winger who gets the crowd excited as soon as he gets the ball and whips in just the sort of crosses a striker like Nicklas Bendtner needs.
Steve Bruce took a punt on McClean in the summer and paid £350,000 to sign him from Derry City when other Premier League clubs hesitated.
At 22, he's not exactly a kid. But he will really benefit if John Robertson — one of the finest wingers of all time — follows his old pal O'Neill to Sunderland to become one of his coaches.

shakermaker1982
04/01/2012, 11:06 AM
Wildcard pick for 2012 squad? If he keeps on impressing then you never know.

Supreme feet
04/01/2012, 11:09 AM
It would be downright pointless given the number of wingers we have ahead of them. Coleman is the next in line to be given his chance anyways. He'll probably play Hunt/Coleman or Hunt/Fahey in the next friendly game. Those are the guys behind Duff/McGeady and those are the guys who need the gametime to stake their claim. Trap will justifiably ignore flavour of the month players.

For once, I agree with you. We have two friendlies to get things fine-tuned for the tournament, it's not like Trap has a great number of opportunities to try out new players, formations or tactics. We're certainly not stuck for wingers, in any case.

McClean looks useful - decent control, enthusiasm and pace - but his crossing was poor against Man City, with balls often failing to beat the first man, so that's one thing he needs to work on. Reminds me slightly of Hunt when he first came on the scene, but perhaps with more potential for improvement. He's certainly not the finished product, but hopefully he'll continue to develop and push for a squad place in the autumn.

geysir
04/01/2012, 12:19 PM
Crosses not clearing the first man is an endemic feature in the epl and experienced players are also plagued by this.
Last night's Mnn City v Liverpool was one of many such examples where the ball, repeatedly, did not beat the first man.
I don't think it should even be used to highlight a weakness in a young player.

SwanVsDalton
04/01/2012, 12:54 PM
McClean looks useful - decent control, enthusiasm and pace - but his crossing was poor against Man City, with balls often failing to beat the first man, so that's one thing he needs to work on. Reminds me slightly of Hunt when he first came on the scene, but perhaps with more potential for improvement. He's certainly not the finished product, but hopefully he'll continue to develop and push for a squad place in the autumn.

He's a very, very good crosser. That part of his game will come good. If he maintains fitness then he's a winner - and considering Sunderland sources consider him the fittest player on their books, despite playing regular football since February, then it hopefully won't be a problem.

Supreme feet
04/01/2012, 1:28 PM
I don't think it should even be used to highlight a weakness in a young player.

McClean is only a year younger than Keith Treacy, who, in my opinion, is a more technically assured player. But as I said, the more games at a high level, the more McClean can improve and show his ability, and he definitely seems to have the right attitude.

geysir
04/01/2012, 2:01 PM
The best part is that McClean has done enough to put himself into contention to be played and let's see what he makes of the opportunities that will come.

I would have preferred a slow burn improvement with Sunderland's performance and not MON's hyped up messiah like qualities, delivered with (duo expresso) panache, burning his inauguration trail with sudden victory after victory.

pineapple stu
04/01/2012, 2:18 PM
Goals here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/wigan-1-sunderland-4/

Sammon unfortunate not to be awarded Wigan's goal as it looked like he took a bit of a swing at it rather than Rodallega's shot simply having deflected off him unwittingly. Difficult to know for sure...
Sammo's reaction indicates he thinks he scored I think. Though I haven't seen a good angle (behind the goal preferably) to see for sure how much he knew about it and how much of a deflection it took. For an own goal, the shot has to change from going wide/into the keeper's hands to going into the net. That's presumably the criterion here as well. So if Rodallega's shot was going in anyway, it's probably his goal.

jbyrne
04/01/2012, 2:20 PM
What are the chances of McClean and Pilkington on the flanks for the next friendly? Quite unlikely, given Trap's conservative approach to friendlies, but fairly justifiable on the basis of form.

has pilkington actually declared for us? thought i heard recently he wasnt interested

joeSoap
04/01/2012, 2:34 PM
What if Michael O'Neill persuades him to stay in the NI set-up/ It's possible, a new manager and all. Trap needs to strike while the irons hot with this lad. He looks that good!!

Stuttgart88
04/01/2012, 2:56 PM
True. I suspect that all McClean needs to do is change association (rather than actually play), which will tie him to us as he has already played for NI. The FAI could take the initiative in this regard.

The quotes from McClean were almost Robbie-esque "it's always been my dream to play for the ROI". He acknowledged that he may have to wait for any opportunity, but it'd appear that he may take some persuasion by Michael O'Neill.

It's great to have another player staking a claim but realistically he ain't gonna threaten Duff or Hunt in the next year or so. He may overtake Treacy and Fahey (as a LM option). McGeady is always an option for the left too, in case Coleman makes a strong claim to RHM.

DannyInvincible
04/01/2012, 3:07 PM
True. I suspect that all McClean needs to do is change association (rather than actually play), which will tie him to us as he has already played for NI. The FAI could take the initiative in this regard.

The quotes from McClean were almost Robbie-esque "it's always been my dream to play for the ROI".

It's great to have another player staking a claim but realistically he ain't gonna threaten Duff or Hunt in the next year or so. He may overtake Treacy and Fahey (as a LM option). McGeady is always an option for the left too, in case Coleman makes a strong claim to RHM.

McClean would have to play for us to be tied. Merely registering with the FAI would not be enough to effect his change of association, as the case of Bobby Zamora registering with Trinidad & Tobago from the English FA after playing at under-21 level for England and then back to the FA again - going on to win two English caps - without having played a game for Trinidad & Tobago demonstrates.

I wouldn't be overly worried anyway. McClean has his heart set on representing his country. :)

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/mcclean-keen-to-get-on-traps-radar-2961781.html

It's only a few months since McClean, a former U21 cap with the North, made up his mind to end his Northern Ireland career and throw in his lot with the Republic -- and he's sure he made the right call.

"I made my decision before the Republic team qualified for the Euros so that wasn't a factor for me. Playing for the Republic was something I wanted to do," says McClean, who was named in the North's senior squad for a game against the Faroe Islands as he made his final call.

"It wasn't a hard decision to make and no one put pressure on me, I grew up supporting the Republic and always saw myself as Irish. It was easy enough in the end."

I think the comparison to Robbie's habitual spiel during post-transfer press conferences is slightly unfair on a lad who is Irish and obviously has grown up supporting Ireland.

Stuttgart88
04/01/2012, 3:13 PM
ah feck off Danny, don't take everything so earnestly!

Point taken on the change of registration. Had Zamora represented England at any level? I presume yes.

tricky_colour
04/01/2012, 3:17 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0104/oneillm.html

There is a bit above about Martin O Neil's determination to get players born in the North to play for the North.
We need to be careful he does not persuade James to stay with the north, as he is still eligible for both as I understand it.
I don't think this has been posted yet?

O'Neill opens door to defected players
Wednesday, 4 January 2012 15:54

New Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill has vowed to give every eligible player a fresh start, including those who have already switched allegiance to the Republic of Ireland.

O'Neill, who starts his two-year tenure on 1 February, was unveiled at the Irish Football Association's headquarters at Windsor Avenue today and immediately set about making his intentions clear.

While it is accepted that Northern Ireland will never have the largest player pool in the world, O'Neill believes he can add to the group that finished fifth in Euro 2012 qualifying under predecessor Nigel Worthington.

The former Shamrock Rovers boss, 42, confirmed he would ask the likes of former captain Aaron Hughes to reconsider their international retirements and cast his eye over those who were out of favour under Worthington.

And, most importantly, he pledged to address the talent drain to the Republic of Ireland.

FIFA rules allow anyone born in Northern Ireland to declare for the Football Association of Ireland, with a series of players doing just that in the last couple of years.

Many have yet to realise their stated ambition of representing the Republic and O'Neill is set to offer those who remain available for his side a return to the fold.

"The vision for me is that we need a bigger pool of players available," he said. "That's no secret. I've never hidden the fact I think it (players switching allegiance) is wrong.

"I think the ruling itself is particularly unfair. What I would say to any young player is think long hard about that decision because, of the players who have made it to date, only Darron Gibson has played a competitive international for the Republic.

"You have to understand where your long-term future is. For players born in Northern Ireland, I think maybe they should aspire to long and distinguished careers for Northern Ireland rather than sitting on the periphery of the [Republic] squad."

One high-profile example is Sunderland's James McClean, who represented the IFA at age-group levels before rejecting Worthington's call-up to the senior side and declaring for the Republic.

That created significant disappointment at the time, but O'Neill is happy to wipe the slate clean for the benefit of the team.

"James McClean is eligible for Northern Ireland so of course he's on my radar," he said.

"Whilst respecting the wishes of the players, I'll be doing everything in my power and my remit to emphasise to them that their long-term futures lie with the Northern Ireland national team.

"Any player who is still eligible for Northern Ireland will come under consideration."

O'Neill, who won 31 caps for his country, also intends on seeing just how certain the likes of Hughes, West Ham's George McCartney and Motherwell's Stephen Craigan are about their retirements.

Fulham defender Hughes, in particular, would be a major boost to the team he led with distinction until his retirement at the end of the previous campaign.

His return would also be welcomed by the Green and White Army, who were denied the chance to say goodbye to Hughes after injury kept him out of a Windsor Park farewell.

"I'll be speaking to all the senior players who have been involved in recent years and Aaron Hughes was a fantastic servant," O'Neill said.

"Would I love to have Aaron available for a squad? Of course I would. Would I love to have George McCartney available? Of course I would. Would I like Stephen Craigan? Yes.

"All these conversations will be had. They'll be done in private and their wishes will be respected, but if they felt they had something to add to the international set-up I'd be delighted to welcome them back."

The final batch of players who can expect to be affected by O'Neill's open-door policy are those who did not feature regularly under Worthington.

"I'll consider everyone that's playing at a good level; look at Dean Shiels at Kilmarnock, Martin Paterson at Burnley, Martin Duff at Burnley," O'Neill added.

"There are a lot of players who haven't been in squads in recent times and they'll all be considered and monitored."

O'Neill's first match in charge comes in a home friendly against Norway on 29 February, by which time he hopes to have his full backroom team in place.

DannyInvincible
04/01/2012, 3:18 PM
Just edited that to clarify. Zamora played at under-21 level for England on six occasions. He was called into their 2002 European Under-21 Championship squad so presumably at least one of those would have been competitive.

Predator
04/01/2012, 3:23 PM
This whole gambit of Gibson being the only "success story" is balls; pure scaremongering. He's clutching at straws. Wilson has represented his country and Kearns and Duffy are regular U21s, for example.

And aside from that, no career is guaranteed by any association. These people continue to brush over the importance of national identity and the affinity with the Irish national team and instead try to paint every northerner who opts for the FAI as a mercenary.

The Fly
04/01/2012, 3:23 PM

There is a bit above about Martin O Neil's determination to get players born in the North to play for the North.

Er...you mean Michael O'Neill.

"James McClean is eligible for Northern Ireland so of course he's on my radar," he said.

I'd say he'll be disappearing from your radar any time now.

DannyInvincible
04/01/2012, 3:27 PM

We need to be careful he does not persuade James to stay with the north, as he is still eligible for both as I understand it.
I don't think this has been posted yet?

Just to be sure, Martin O'Neill has said nothing of trying to persuade McClean to return to the IFA. ;)

He is still eligible for both. If he wants to return, that's his prerogative. I can't see it though given what he's said about his future ambitions. And as far as NI fans are concerned, he'd have to bear worse fire than that dished out upon Alex Bruce. Not all that tempting...

Sullivinho
04/01/2012, 3:44 PM
I can't see it though given what he's said about his future ambitions.

Said ambitions will only have come closer to realisation given his recent performances too you would imagine. Mightn't be the most opportune of times to offer him that 'long and distinguished career' with NI but, nothing ventured nothing gained eh!

DannyInvincible
04/01/2012, 3:45 PM
This whole gambit of Gibson being the only "success story" is balls; pure scaremongering. He's clutching at straws. Wilson has represented his country and Kearns and Duffy are regular U21s, for example.

They're all young and switched association on the understanding that they were never going to walk straight into our squad like they might have walked into the NI squad had they stayed with the IFA; anything but mercenary. I often see expressions of satisfaction on OWC when some see the likes of Paul George once again "failing" to make our senior squad. The lad's 17; maybe good enough for NI senior squads but he didn't switch association expecting to play at Euro 2012, for God's sake. Likewise, I'm sure Wilson cherishes his senior cap, maybe more so than he might have cherished ten or twenty of the same by now in a NI shirt.

theworm2345
04/01/2012, 3:46 PM
ah feck off Danny, don't take everything so earnestly!

Point taken on the change of registration. Had Zamora represented England at any level? I presume yes.

Just edited that to clarify. Zamora played at under-21 level for England on six occasions. He was called into their 2002 European Under-21 Championship squad so presumably at least one of those would have been competitive.
Off the top of my head so feel free to double check the facts...Zamora got those caps as you said in the early 2000's. He was then inquired about by T&T's then coach Leo Beenhakker in the run up the 2006 World Cup but said something to the effect of "Trinidad is my father's country and it would be an honor but..." he'd rather play for England or something. Then in the latter part of 2009 as T&T were in the late stages of the final round of CONCACAF WC2010 qualifying, Zamora and Jlloyd Samuel (who had also played for England at U21, but was born in T&T) both attempted to get their T&T passports. Samuel did and earned something like 2 caps (could've been more, and still could be, but thats a whole different story). I don't remember the reason but Zamora pulled out and then went on to win two caps for England. However, both those caps have been in friendlies so, were he not to get anymore, he could stil switch back to T&T (though that seems unlikely as the next chance they will have to play in a World Cup would be 2018).

DannyInvincible
04/01/2012, 3:50 PM
Off the top of my head...Zamora got those caps as you said in the early 2000's. He was then inquired about by T&T's then coach Leo Beenhakker in the run up the 2006 World Cup but said something to the effect of "Trinidad is my father's country and it would be an honor but..." he'd rather play for England or something. Then in 2009 as T&T were in the latter stages of the final round of CONCACAF qualifying, Zamora and Jlloyd Samuel (who had also played for England at U21, but was born in T&T) both attempted to get their T&T passports. Samuel did and earned something like 4 caps. I don't remember the reason but Zamora pulled out and then went on to win two caps for England. However, both those caps have been in friendlies so, were he not to get anymore, he could stil switch back to T&T (though that seems unlikely as the next chance they will have to play in a World Cup would be 2018).

According to Wiki, Zamora also received his passport (including formal clearance from FIFA, presumably) and was all set to play but then picked up an injury in training. The FA were on his tail again soon after.

SolitudeRed
04/01/2012, 3:50 PM
Just to be sure, Martin O'Neill has said nothing of trying to persuade McClean to return to the IFA. ;)

He is still eligible for both. If he wants to return, that's his prerogative. I can't see it though given what he's said about his future ambitions. And as far as NI fans are concerned, he'd have to bear worse fire than that dished out upon Alex Bruce. Not all that tempting...

Was in a bar in central Belfast last night watching the highlights and when his goal was showed there were a couple of Norn Ironers behind me going on about how he was born and raised in NI and was a turncoat for declaring for what he feels is his country. Mind you others on ILS seem to reckon that hes still theirs and O'Neill should have a word.

tricky_colour
04/01/2012, 3:55 PM

Well he has..""James McClean is eligible for Northern Ireland so of course he's on my radar," he said. And by making
that statement he is.

However I don't think Martin will have an success, but we need to get a cap on him ASAP just to prevent
speculation and to clear the matter up.

I can't see him returning either, he sounds 100% committed to us.

tricky_colour
04/01/2012, 3:57 PM
Was in a bar in central Belfast last night watching the highlights and when his goal was showed there were a couple of Norn Ironers behind me going on about how he was born and raised in NI and was a turncoat for declaring for what he feels is his country. Mind you others on ILS seem to reckon that hes still theirs and O'Neill should have a word.

What is ILS?

The Fly
04/01/2012, 3:59 PM
Well he has..""James McClean is eligible for Northern Ireland so of course he's on my radar," he said. And by making
that statement he is.

However I don't think Martin will have an success, but we need to get a cap on him ASAP just to prevent

Brain fade?

What is ILS?

Irish League Supporters forum.

SkStu
04/01/2012, 4:01 PM
that statement he is.

he was making the point that it wasnt Martin O'Neill saying that but Michael O'Neill, new NI manager.

pineapple stu
04/01/2012, 4:01 PM
What is ILS?
http://www.irishleaguesupporters.com/

DannyInvincible
04/01/2012, 4:07 PM
he was making the point that it wasnt Martin O'Neill saying that but Michael O'Neill, new NI manager.

Indeed, an important distinction that needed to be made in this particular instance.

Sullivinho
04/01/2012, 4:16 PM
Mind you others on ILS seem to reckon that hes still theirs and O'Neill should have a word.

In the time-honored tradition of internet forum speculation, I've taken existing quotes from the relevant parties and extrapolated how such a conversation might transpire:

I've never hidden the fact I think it (players switching allegiance) is wrong. I think the ruling itself is particularly unfair.

Playing for the Republic was something I wanted to do. It wasn't a hard decision to make and no one put pressure on me, I grew up supporting the Republic and always saw myself as Irish. It was easy enough in the end.

For players born in Northern Ireland, I think maybe they should aspire to long and distinguished careers for Northern Ireland rather than sitting on the periphery of the [Republic] squad.

I remember the last time they [Ireland] were at a finals, in 2002, everyone in Derry was watching the team then, and for me to make the squad would be unbelievable.

tricky_colour
04/01/2012, 4:22 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhh!! the penny has dropped, I wondered what all the fuss was about, I never saw Micheal at all, my brain read it as Martin,
I thought "The Fly" was complaining I had left out the apostrophe after the 'O' when I wrote "Martin O Neil', he is a bit pedantic I thought!! :rofl:

jbyrne
04/01/2012, 4:24 PM
For players born in Northern Ireland, I think maybe they should aspire to long and distinguished careers for Northern Ireland rather than sitting on the periphery of the [Republic] squad.

the fact that the players concerned would risk losing out on international football by declaring for us when they would probably win a load of caps for the north says it all really about the unattractiveness of the norths set-up and what it represents to many

tricky_colour
04/01/2012, 4:26 PM
I should apologise for all the trouble I have caused, I just googled news for James McClean
and got this article "O'Neill opens door to defected players"
I only skimmed it and thought it was Martin O'Neil. My bad.
I was worried because I realise Martin was in a position where he could put immense
pressure on James ie "if you don't play for the North you won't get a game here either"
hence I kind of posted in a panic with out reading it properly. Martin would never do anything like that anyway.