PDA

View Full Version : Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

M@ttitude
13/11/2013, 2:24 PM
Thanks for all the support lads, I didn't take any offence from Owls reply at all. There are a lot of Keane bashers about, I get frustrated watching him sometimes too but there is no doubting his commitment or record. But yes, Stutts reply was the kind of conversation I was hoping to create. From watching the training session yesterday it looked like the team is being set up around Robbie, I know it was the first training session but I was just thinking, why? Looking at Shane Longs performance at the weekend and Alan Shearer raving about him, is it not time to give Long a stable position in the team and give him the confidence to develop as an international striker for next September. I feel Shane Long has lost confidence within the Ireland setup. No 'facetious' replies please;)

CraftyToePoke
13/11/2013, 2:33 PM
What are your thoughts on Robbie Keanes role under the new management?

I think Keane may be starting from the bench more often. I don't think he'll be captain, but there isn't a standout candidate to be captain for the long term either.

Are you confident he will still make that trip from the US if he isn't starting anymore ? Not that I'm advocating him being dropped either, but will he play the bit part in time ? Or call time on it.

ifk101
13/11/2013, 2:33 PM
In many ways the criticism of Trapattoni's inflexible tactics can be linked to Robbie's inclusion in the team because you are restricted in how you effectively can use him. If the goal is to be more adaptable and flexible in the future maybe there is a hard decision there to be made for the new management team.

NeverFeltBetter
13/11/2013, 3:11 PM
Keane will naturally start to feature less and less as we move forward, he's no spring chicken. But he has something to offer and if he maintains fitness and competitiveness at club level, he's as good an option as many other Irish strikers currently available. And if he's playing, let him be the Captain.

EAFC_rdfl
13/11/2013, 3:14 PM
I might be a wee bit biased on it, but why wouldn't Coleman be a standout option for long term captain? He's surely going to be in the setup for the next 10 or so years.

DeLorean
13/11/2013, 3:31 PM
Thanks for all the support lads, I didn't take any offence from Owls reply at all. There are a lot of Keane bashers about, I get frustrated watching him sometimes too but there is no doubting his commitment or record. But yes, Stutts reply was the kind of conversation I was hoping to create. From watching the training session yesterday it looked like the team is being set up around Robbie, I know it was the first training session but I was just thinking, why? Looking at Shane Longs performance at the weekend and Alan Shearer raving about him, is it not time to give Long a stable position in the team and give him the confidence to develop as an international striker for next September. I feel Shane Long has lost confidence within the Ireland setup. No 'facetious' replies please;)

I would also like to see Long get an extended run of starts, but alongside Keane.

DannyInvincible
13/11/2013, 3:39 PM
Some quotes from Keane's press conference: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/1113/486459-keane-press-comments/

Roy Keane met the press for the first time today since agreeing to become new Ireland manager Martin O'Neill's assistant, here are of some of his comments from his debut at Malahide.

Keane on Martin O’Neill:

"I've massive respect for Martin ... we're not buddies, but hopefully we can work well together."

"People might see me as a threat or a troublemaker of some sort… It’s a compliment to Martin that he thinks I can help him."

"I’m going to have to be the good cop, you obviously don’t know Martin the way you think you do. He makes me look like Mother Teresa!".

"If you'd asked me six months ago or a year ago if Martin would be the kind of manager I'd like to work under - absolutely."

Keane on taking Ireland post:

He says he "would have been crazy to turn down" the assistant manager's job and "I always had an open mind ... opportunity too good to turn down."

Keane says he can bring lots of experience, lots of knowledge and high standards to the Ireland set-up and: "I feel lucky to be back in Ireland set-up."

Keane says not here to change people's opinion of him ... "I spent years trying to please everyone."

Keane on Alex Ferguson:

Keane says he will not defend himself today after Alex Ferguson comments but he can't stop himself and adds:

“I have no issues. Everyone has opinions. The issue I have is when people tell lies about me. But today is not for that.”

Keane makes Saipan reference:

“Hotel’s been great, the food has been lovely, the training ground is lovely – no potholes, we’ve footballs, there’s even bibs. Major progress."

On Giovanni Trapattoni:

Keane said former Ireland manager Trapattoni did a very good job but "players need different ideas and a different voice".

As for Keane's Euro 2012 comments, he said they were not over the top and "players could have done better".

On John Delaney:

Meeting with John Delaney was "very straightforward ... the past is the past."

Keane raises a couple of laughs:

He denies telling Ray Houghton that some of the current squad are better than him. Jokes that Houghton had a few pints on him.

Keane, on being asked if he spoke to any of the players in the squad he played with, said: "Absolutely not, that's a ridiculous question."

Keane signs off with: “We have to kick on and not just be happy to qualify for tournaments, we have to go there and have an impact.”

The link also features an audio recording of Tony O'Donoghue's assessment and a video.

OwlsFan
13/11/2013, 7:11 PM
I think M@ttitude's question was a fair one and fairly put too, not deserving of such a facetious answer..

It wasn't facetious at all. It was a genuine response. Robbie's role has always been to put the ball in the back of the net and until he is no longer able to do that, then that should be his role. People have been questioning whether he should start since I think the very first post in this whole thread and I see no reason for it now if you look at his recent goal tally. I got a ticket for the recent Samoa v Ireland rugby match and the hero worship for "Drico" around me made me annoyed at the attitude of so many football fans to one of our greatest players ever.

There's only one Keano.

Yard of Pace
13/11/2013, 8:49 PM
The link also features an audio recording of Tony O'Donoghue's assessment and a video.

I've met this man numerous times late at night around the chinese takeaway and in the pub in a Dublin suburb. He's not the worst but there's no way in hell this man should ever be deciding the channel of thought on the Irish soccer team. He's no more knowledgeable than anyone on here. And a lot less so than many of the fellas on here.

I just say this as I worry to, what I perceive to be, his growing influence.

Charlie Darwin
13/11/2013, 8:53 PM
I've always felt Tony O'Donoghue to be a good journalist to be honest, although I'm open to correction if your experience tells you otherwise.

tricky_colour
13/11/2013, 9:39 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24916323

Dunno if this has been posted already.

New assistant boss Roy Keane was the first to arrive at Republic of Ireland training in Malahide on Tuesday as preparations for Friday's friendly against Latvia got under way.

Keane, 42, turned up 90 minutes before Martin O'Neill and his players were scheduled to begin work at Gannon Park.

The Cork man checked out the training pitch before inspecting the nearby gym facilities at the north Dublin venue.

Keane returned to the training pitch well before the first players arrived.

The former Republic of Ireland and Manchester United captain, who was wearing full training kit, had time to sign autographs and pose for photographs with fans who had turned out to witness the start of the new regime.

I guess it would not be too clever if the pitch was rock hard and all the equipment had gone AWOL :D

tetsujin1979
13/11/2013, 9:53 PM
Man arrives early for work!

DeLorean
14/11/2013, 8:35 AM
To be fair Keane shrugged this off in the press conference himself. He said it would obviously be part of his job to get things organised before the players arrive. He was then asked if he is going to expect the same from the players, that they should be punctual... he just gave one of his squinty-eyed looks and replied with something along the lines of "Obviously.... do I expect them to be on time for work??? Hardly looking for miracles is it?"

Lionel Ritchie
14/11/2013, 9:12 AM
To be fair Keane shrugged this off in the press conference himself. He said it would obviously be part of his job to get things organised before the players arrive. He was then asked if he is going to expect the same from the players, that they should be punctual... he just gave one of his squinty-eyed looks and replied with something along the lines of "Obviously.... do I expect them to be on time for work??? Hardly looking for miracles is it?"

Seeing as they're all staying in the same place it's assumable they arrive on a coach or something anyway no? Or do they stick their thumbs out and hitch up from the hotel?

ArdeeBhoy
14/11/2013, 10:17 AM
Not a plug for the FAI :eek: but brings it home...

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1426709_693756013976481_1326217964_n.jpg

back of the net
14/11/2013, 10:38 AM
Not a plug for the FAI :eek: but brings it home...

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1426709_693756013976481_1326217964_n.jpg

is that the actual cover ? or something u did yourself Ardee?

Me likes

ArdeeBhoy
14/11/2013, 11:10 AM
Nah, from the FAI Fbk.page...

back of the net
14/11/2013, 11:24 AM
Nah, from the FAI Fbk.page...

It reminds me of the below link:
http://www.impawards.com/2003/posters/bad_boys_two_xlg.jpg

Or in this case "Bad Cop, Bad Bad Cop 2"

OwlsFan
14/11/2013, 5:54 PM
I've Tony O'Donoghuenumerous times late at night around the chinese takeaway and in the pub in a Dublin suburb. He's not the worst but there's no way in hell this man should ever be deciding the channel of thought on the Irish soccer team. He's no more knowledgeable than anyone on here. And a lot less so than many of the fellas on here.

I just say this as I worry to, what I perceive to be, his growing influence.

Journalists do not decide "the channel of thought" on football teams for the genuine supporters, most of whom are on here. Dunphy (and Giles for that matter) ranted for years against Charlton and yet he left when he decided the time was right and the supporters were loyal to him. Do you think people on here will pay any more heed to O'Donoghue's view that the view of the fans on here. The likes of Miriam Lord who did a piece in the Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/let-roy-be-unconfined-1.1594050 about "the glamorous Roy Keane" will interest the celeb followers or event junkies, many of whom will go to the Aviva tomorrow, but will it shape the opinion of the fans, I doubt it. Take Trap also: the media was 95% against him even going in to the qualification campaign but I doubt if it changed attitutes. Fans are well capable of making up their own minds whether pro or anti..

I wouldn't worry either about the huge hype that is surrounding the appointment of an out of work Corkman as an assistant manager. I will never like Keane following on Saipan but if O'Neill brings success, he can have Dunphy as his assistant for all I care. The team the team the team. As for the rest of it, I'll bite my lip and remember the latin phrase I learned at school: "Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis."

tricky_colour
14/11/2013, 6:43 PM
is that the actual cover ? or something u did yourself Ardee?

Me likes

It actually a good cover, would make a good poster too.

Stuttgart88
14/11/2013, 7:37 PM
I thanked OF's post despite not understanding the Latin bit at the end.

I was firmly on Mick's side in Saipan but at the same time, when I think back on some of the personal rows I've had in my life where I have been wholly consumed by pride and no small level of innate aggression and self-preservation instinct, and where I have maintained an irrational stance believing it to be right at the time, I'd be a hypocrite not to see a bit of him in what I have done -albeit on a less public scale!

I'm happy to see a great Irish football figure there to inspire and motivate our players. I take him in face value when he says he's not a monster and can actually be a good influence on lesser players. In fact, I reckon Keane's outward alpha-ness betrays some insecurities. No shame in that whatsoever. I can't see why anyone would object to him being in part-charge of our team. We'd be mad not to consider him.

geysir
14/11/2013, 7:47 PM
I want the contrary whiny f'ecker to succeed. I don't expect (or want) him to have changed, but a bit of maturity wont go amiss and will go a long way in this job.

Talking about Keane .... just in case a line got crossed.

DeLorean
14/11/2013, 8:00 PM
I thanked OF's post despite not understanding the Latin bit at the end.

I Googled it....

'It is best to endure what you cannot change.'

Charlie Darwin
14/11/2013, 10:24 PM
Journalists do not decide "the channel of thought" on football teams for the genuine supporters, most of whom are on here. Dunphy (and Giles for that matter) ranted for years against Charlton and yet he left when he decided the time was right and the supporters were loyal to him. Do you think people on here will pay any more heed to O'Donoghue's view that the view of the fans on here. The likes of Miriam Lord who did a piece in the Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/let-roy-be-unconfined-1.1594050 about "the glamorous Roy Keane" will interest the celeb followers or event junkies, many of whom will go to the Aviva tomorrow, but will it shape the opinion of the fans, I doubt it. Take Trap also: the media was 95% against him even going in to the qualification campaign but I doubt if it changed attitutes. Fans are well capable of making up their own minds whether pro or anti..

I wouldn't worry either about the huge hype that is surrounding the appointment of an out of work Corkman as an assistant manager. I will never like Keane following on Saipan but if O'Neill brings success, he can have Dunphy as his assistant for all I care. The team the team the team. As for the rest of it, I'll bite my lip and remember the latin phrase I learned at school: "Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis."
I read that Miriam Lord piece this morning on my phone. I had to shake myself to make sure I'd woken up.

tetsujin1979
14/11/2013, 11:33 PM
think Stutts asked what Irish players have played under Keane and O'Neill at club level

Manager Name Club Player
Martin O'Neill Celtic Aiden McGeady
Liam Miller
Colin Healy
Aston Villa Richard Dunne

Roy Keane Sunderland Liam Miller
Anthony Stokes
Daryl Murphy
David Connolly
Stephen Elliott
Clive Clarke
Graham Kavanagh
Liam Lawrence
Kenny Cunningham
Paul McShane
Ian Harte
Roy O'Donovan
Andy Reid
Nicky Colgan
David Meyler

Ipswich Owen Garvan
Alan Quinn
Colin Healy
Damien Delaney
Jonathan Walters
Shane Supple
Ian McLoughlin
Daryl Murphy
Brian Murphy
Shane O'Connor
Ronan Murray
Conor Hourihane
Darren O'Dea
Mark Kennedy

also Shane Lowry played at Villa under O'Neill before changing allegiances to Australia, and Alex Bruce played for Keane at Ipswich before changing allegiance to the North

Charlie Darwin
15/11/2013, 12:21 AM
Has anybody noticed that Martin O'Neill's jokes are really, really bad? Like I know my posts aren't the best, but... has a manager ever been sacked for killing everyone's buzz?

SkStu
15/11/2013, 12:42 AM
He's no Patrick Kielty.

Charlie Darwin
15/11/2013, 12:49 AM
Is that a compliment or an insult?

ArdeeBhoy
15/11/2013, 1:50 AM
I'm happy to see a great Irish football figure there to inspire and motivate our players. I take him in face value when he says he's not a monster and can actually be a good influence on lesser players. No shame in that whatsoever. I can't see why anyone would object to him being in part-charge of our team. We'd be mad not to consider him.

Yes. Take goodness for...Martin O'Neill!

DannyInvincible
15/11/2013, 9:14 AM
Too-good Di Canio's got beef with Martin: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/1115/486837-di-canio/

Paolo Di Canio has hit back at Martin O'Neill as the war of words between the former Sunderland managers continued.

Di Canio succeeded O'Neill at the Stadium of Light in March and, on his arrival, criticised the fitness levels in the squad.

O'Neill took his time to respond but following his appointment as Republic of Ireland boss earlier this week, he dismissed Di Canio's barbs and labelled the Italian a "managerial charlatan".

Di Canio, who led Sunderland to Premier League survival last season before being sacked after five games of the current campaign, told Sky Sports News: "I don't know if he knows the meaning of this word charlatan. Probably I can teach him, even if I am not English.

"I respect the opinion of manager Martin O'Neill but the fact that he spoke after six months, not straight away, that proves what kind of level he is. He is not very big.

"A charlatan is a manager who spends £40m to be a top ten club and then sees the club sink into the relegation zone."

Di Canio stood by his claim that the Black Cats players were not in peak condition when he arrived on Wearside.

"The fitness levels were pathetic," he said.

"I had players who told me they had cramps from driving the car.

"I had three players with injuries in the calf after 20 minutes of a game. Six different players with problems means they were not fit."

Di Canio was dismissed after a 3-0 defeat at West Brom, a result which was reportedly followed a day later by a training ground bust-up with senior players which led them to ask the board to take action.

Di Canio insisted, however, that no argument took place.

"It never happened," he said.

"There was a typical meeting, as there was after every game to see the clips and analyse the game.

"Maybe there was opinion but this happens in every good family."

Even though his first foray into top-flight management ended in acrimonious fashion, it has not quelled Di Canio's confidence and he remains hopeful of finding another job in England.

"I was too good, my level was too high," he said of his experience at Sunderland.

"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger. I can't wait to have another chance with the right people. I feel a better manager than before.

"Even if I have requests from around Europe I say no.

"There is no space for me in England at the moment but I will wait.

"It would be stupid for a chairman not to call me. Even if it's at a Championship club with a project."

GypsyBlackCat
15/11/2013, 10:05 AM
"I was too good, my level was too high," he said of his experience at Sunderland.

I had to laugh at that. The man is deluled. MON was spot on. But I have to admit O'Neill didn't look the same manager at SAFC that he did at Villa and Celtic. His tactics looked out dated and training methods were poor. IMO I think this was down to not having John Robertson there as number 2. Hopefully he O'Neill has learned form that and that's why he brought in Keane.

tetsujin1979
15/11/2013, 1:38 PM
just so I can say I said it first
Why is the manager picking him?
What does he have to do to get into the squad?
What does he have to do to get into the starting XI?
Clearly we shouldn't be playing that formation.
If he persists with that selection, a different passing style would give better results
I think it's time to think about replacing the manager
etc and so forth

Charlie Darwin
15/11/2013, 1:55 PM
He's out of his depth, Darragh.

paul_oshea
15/11/2013, 2:00 PM
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/landslagsfotboll/landslaget/article17848545.ab

geysir
15/11/2013, 2:15 PM
That's nothing, just wait for the bile to really flow from a panel united, when Keane calls them something worse than a comedy show.

tricky_colour
19/11/2013, 5:30 PM
According to my Freeview program guide ITV are covering the England Germany match hosted by Adrian Chiles with guests Lee Dixon *Roy Keane* and Michael Ballacl

DannyInvincible
20/11/2013, 1:37 PM
Some used to think he was two men when he played. Maybe that proves it.

Here's an early United interview with Roy by the BBC's Barry Davies in August of 1993:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZqRUkh8Ff8

DannyInvincible
21/11/2013, 9:49 PM
McAteer on Keane: http://thescore.thejournal.ie/jason-mcateer-roy-keane-ireland-1185964-Nov2013

FORMER IRELAND INTERNATIONAL Jason McAteer believes that Roy Keane can be a success as Ireland’s assistant manager.

The ex-Liverpool and Sunderland midfielder says that, like many, he was initially surprised when he heard the appointment while working as a pundit for Al-Jazeera given Keane’s past with the FAI and the fact that he and Martin O’Neill weren’t believed to be close friends.

“I was surprised,” McAteer said. “I don’t think there was any relationship with him and Martin O’Neill. Usually there is a connection between the manager and his assistant. Then with Roy’s track history with the FAI I was surprised that he was asked to come back in a coaching capacity.

“At the end of the day, as long as Irish football is in good hands, produces good results and brings the young crop through then there will be no harm done.

“Obviously his managerial record isn’t great but he is playing the assistant’s role now to a manager who has got very good man-management in Martin O’Neill. I think it has been apparent since the appointment that Roy has made strides to show everyone he is second-in-command and that it’s not about him.

“We’ll have to wait and see. He is in a different capacity now and I don’t think we have ever seen him as an assistant manager. This might be just what he needs. Roy Keane might be a coach or an assistant manager. He might not be a manager.”

Over the years, McAteer and Keane have enjoyed a fractious relationship but speaking at a Setanta Sports media event in Dublin today, the 42-year-old explained that it is simply a clash of personalities.

“Roy’s temperament and Martin’s temperament are different. Don’t get me wrong, my relationship with Roy is still getting whipped up now but at the end of the day it’s a laugh.

“It’s nothing personal. We don’t jab each other out for personal reasons, we have a laugh. We don’t get on. Not everyone gets on and there are other footballers that I don’t get on with but it’s just highlighted in the press that we don’t get on.

“I’m not going to sit here and stick the knife into Roy. As far as I’m concerned, Roy as a footballer was absolutely fantastic. I think he will be fantastic as an assistant manager and believe it or not, Roy does have a decent personality. We laugh and joke and I might a few things but at the end of the day he does have a very good personality.

“It is just a personality that clashes with mine. That’s all it it. Like I always say, if he walked into a room now I’d like to think I could shake his hand and wish him good luck. I don’t think he’ll need it as they have got a really good bunch of players coming through.

“With Roy’s experience with the national team and playing football at the highest level mixed with Martin O’Neill’s experience and man-management, I think it’s a team that can do very well.”

Always enjoyed this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDnI5c-jEVU

geysir
21/11/2013, 10:19 PM
One of Keane's blatantly cowardly attacks against an opponent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21RzbtoBfjo

ArdeeBhoy
22/11/2013, 12:11 AM
Nah, Alf Inge Haaland.

Stuttgart88
22/11/2013, 8:43 AM
I think Miguel Delaney's take on things is a fair assessment of the evidence of the first two games.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/differences-are-subtle-under-new-regime-but-trust-replacing-fear-250154.html

Crosby87
27/11/2013, 11:41 AM
Brain Kerr: Roy not being groomed to take over.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/roy-keane-wont-get-the-top-job-says-brian-kerr-29786986.html

peadar1987
27/11/2013, 11:49 AM
Brain Kerr to Managed Ireland

DannyInvincible
27/11/2013, 12:03 PM
The only way I could envisage Roy eventually taking over would be if Martin decides to call it a day on a positive note. It was assumed that Tardelli was being groomed to succeed Trap, but as soon as things turned sour, regime change became the only option. Having Tardelli in charge now would not have been acceptable for the vast majority of supporters.

ArdeeBhoy
27/11/2013, 4:17 PM
As would R.M.K.
:rolleyes:

gastric
29/11/2013, 2:03 AM
It seems the players had a problem with Keane's body odour and flatulence problem according to The Irish Times!

Players were ‘secretely concerned’ over Keane appointment, O’Neill admits

But assistant manager has settled in well with players and working hard in new role

Republic of Ireland head coach Martin O’Neill has spoken of the positive impression Roy Keane has already made on his squad, despite some of the players having been ‘secretely concerned’ when he was first appointed as assitant manager.

Republic of Ireland manager Martin O’Neill has admitted some of his players were “secretly concerned” about working with his assistant Roy Keane.

Speaking last night in Naas, O’Neill explained how neatly his new sidekick settled into the fold despite some trepidation on the part of the players.
Keane attracted a reputation as an uncompromising operator from his managerial spells at Sunderland and Ipswich Town, a trait that O’Neill was determined to tweak into a positive element of their new collaboration in charge of Ireland.
While at the time of their appointment and the games against Latvia and Poland, O’Neill insisted Keane’s inclusion on the managerial ticket would be embraced within the set-up, he has now admitted there was a degree of nervousness among the players.
The Derry native conveyed his thoughts on the factors at play during the first meet-up of the squad almost three weeks ago.
“I think the players might secretly have been a little bit concerned about Roy, but he’s been really excellent,” said O’Neill.
“He’s already made a great impression on the players themselves.

Jumped at the chance
“I just want to say something about Roy. When I mentioned to him if he fancied it (the job), he jumped at the chance.
“He jumped at it immediately and said “let’s go and do it, it will be great”.
“I personally think he’ll be fantastic for the nation.
“He wants to do it. He has enthusiasm – which is always there and is there in abundance.
“If enthusiasm alone was to get us through that would be great but unfortunately we need a bit of luck along the way. We’ve got some decent players as well.”
Evidence of Keane’s enthusiasm was there for all to see on the sidelines during the two opening games and he’s continued to dedicate himself passionately to the task.
Today, for example, he’ll not only be at Nottingham Forest’s Championship match against Reading at the City Ground tonight but will also have cast his eye on his former club’s next generation earlier in the day when their U21s host Coventry City.
Keane is then scheduled to link up with O’Neill at Goodison Park tomorrow where as many as six Irish players could feature in the Premier League game between Everton and Stoke City.

Hard at work
The pair were also hard at work last weekend, their first back on the beat following their international duties.
O’Neill turned up at Ewood Park to scout on Stephen Kelly and Alex Pearce in the Reading line-up against Blackburn, while his sidekick took in Stoke City’s top-flight fixture against Sunderland.
With his trademark dry wit, O’Neill stated last night he had to choose his words carefully in describing his new deputy, and used the host for the occasion – RTÉ correspondent Tommie Gorman – to illustrate the point.
“Tommie, of course, got the interview with Roy Keane after those famous days in Saipan (in 2002),” he said.
“He was the only one to get anything from Roy at that particular time and Lord may that continue.
“I’m only jesting; this might get back to Keane. I might lose an assistant manager – I might have lost him anyway.
“It’s hopefully going to be a bit of fun along the way. We’ll hopefully get Roy smiling once or twice and everybody might be happy.”
In the company of Irish sporting greats such as Kerry GAA legend Mikey Sheehy, Galway’s All-Ireland football championship winner Pádraic Joyce and ex-Ireland rugby international Mick Galwey, O’Neill posted an upbeat prediction for his tenure ahead.
There may a long lead-in to the European Championship qualifiers next September but the former Celtic manager doffed his hat to the past manager before looking ahead with optimism.
“I’m following in the footsteps of an absolute fantastic manager in Giovanni Trapattoni and it would be great to be successful with the Republic of Ireland,” he concluded.

Fri, Nov 29, 2013, 01:00 (http://foot.ie/#)

i (http://foot.ie/sport/soccer/qualification-from-group-out-of-their-hands-as-wigan-let-it-slip-1.1611058)

geysir
29/11/2013, 4:17 PM
Sounds like O'Neill has the after dinner circuit booked up over the winter, regaling the guests with stories of 'Me and Roy'.
For now it's 'Me and Roy - the engagement and the honeymoon period'.

DannyInvincible
29/11/2013, 7:37 PM
An interesting piece on social media and how it reacted to the recent appointments and our friendlies against Latvia and Poland: http://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/stand-up-for-the-coybig/16631/

It’s become the source of breaking transfer news, while players can’t help getting themselves into trouble on it but social media has added an extra dimension to how we watch football. Paul Moriarty, Head of Insight at News Access Media Intelligence, Ireland’s media intelligence agency, tells the YBIG Football Show how Twitter reacted to Martin O’Neill’s first two games, and discusses the rise of the popular supporters’ hashtag #COYBIG.

Speaking to host Dave O’Grady, Moriarty reveals the reaction on social media to the arrival of O’Neill and Roy Keane to the Ireland set-up.

“It’s certainly been a very interesting couple of matches” says Paul regarding the amount of buzz that can be created, particularly on Twitter.

“The #COYBIG hashtag seems to be the one to dominate. For example, during the Ireland-Poland match we tracked from 4pm to midnight, including the build-up, the match itself, and post match analysis, 1844 tweets, retweets and replies for #COYBIG, which is quite a large amount.”

“That being said, on the Ireland vs Latvia game, the first game under ONeill and Roy Keane, we tracked 4306 for the same period. You can just see the difference depending on how much buzz there is around a particular game.”

The perception might be that the Irish away games would generate more activity given that not as many supporters would actually be at the match itself but that’s not necessarily the case.

“It comes down to the notion of social chatter or social buzz because really that first game with Roy Keane and O’Neill generated so much interest.”

“On the game itself, they both generated around 1000 tweets, so Martin O’Neill generated around 950 tweets. In terms of Keane, just mentions of his name, there were 1381 tweets over that period.”

“While O’Neill is definitely the boss; on that opening game Roy Keane got people talking, unsurprisingly some people would say.

Of course Twitter tends to explode when anything controversial happens be it a row, yellow cards, red cards or regarding transfers.

“We track right across the course of the game. The one thing that really generates buzz is when a goal is scored. There is no getting away from it.”

“The actual peak of the Ireland vs Poland game was at the very beginning. There was a huge peak at 7:42pm as Amhrán na bhFiann was played. Some people were happy that it wasn’t the model Nadia Forde doing the singing. The biggest peak came three minutes later just when the game kicked off.”

It’s not only in Ireland either that the the activity is generated when the Boys in Green are in action.

“Most certainly. We can also track the geography of tweets. There were almost 2500 in Ireland. In USA there were around 600 tweeting. Australia was well represented. Interestingly India, and even Kazakshtan had people commenting with the #COYBIG hashtag. It just shows it goes right across the world and people are involved in the big conversation. That’s what Twitter is all about and that’s certainly what monitoring and evaluating social media is about.”

We also now see broadcasters and media outlets using hashtags in an effort to get people interacting.

“The interesting thing is nobody has full control over it. Often what you’ll find is a broadcaster will say a particular hashtag but everyone will go with another one so they can try and influence it but actually the way that this form of media works is kind of turning the tables a little bit. The majority get to have control over the hashtags and it’s a really interesting area.”

“One of the other leading hashtags was #PolIrl with up to 656 tweets, and also #LiveFAI, the FAI’s own hashtag had a few hundred. They are making an effort to get involved in the social media strand.”

“It’s the flexibility of tweeting particularly. There are also lots of conversations on Facebook and different websites but Twitter has got its stronghold for events like football, rugby and Gaelic games.

DannyInvincible
30/11/2013, 2:12 PM
Paul Scholes (who, of course, has Irish grandparents) offers his thoughts on Roy and Martin: http://thescore.thejournal.ie/paul-scholes-roy-keane-ireland-1200011-Nov2013/

PAUL SCHOLES’ FAMILY connections always meant he kept an eye on Ireland’s footballing results but the former Manchester United midfielder now has further reason to root for the Boys in Green.

Scholes, who is one of the main subjects of the Class of ’92 documentary, has grandparents from the Emerald Isle and played alongside Irish footballers such as Roy Keane, John O’Shea and Liam Miller.

Scholes told Off The Ball about his admiration for Keane and expressed a desire that his former United teammate will thrive as assistant to Ireland manager Martin O’Neill.

“I hope they do well,” said Scholes. “My grandparents are from Ireland so I like to look out for their results. I know a couple of their players. I know John O’Shea a long time.
It’s a country that you like to see doing well. I hope that Roy and Martin O’Neill can turn it around and get them qualified for a major tournament.”

Scholes rejected the suggestion, made by Keane himself, that he did not have a great game in the European Cup semi-final win over Juventus in 1999 — a performance that drove United into their first final in 32 years.

“He was unbelievable in that semi-final,” said Scholes. “He was our best player by a million miles. His header got us back into the game when we were 2-0 down. He really carried us through to that final.

He had the disappointment [after his yellow card] of knowing he was not going to be able to play but still, he drove the team on and made sure they got through to the final that night. He deservedly got a lot of plaudits for that game.”

He added, “[Roy] was incredible as a leader, captain and player. He was someone that every one of us looked up to. We were lucky enough to be part of some of his teams.”

nigel-harps1954
30/11/2013, 2:35 PM
Paul Scholes (who, of course, has Irish grandparents)

From Letterkenny of all places. Always found it strange. Yet another who could have declared through Donegal connections.