PDA

View Full Version : Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

DannyInvincible
07/06/2016, 1:38 AM
Nope. I am bulletproof;)

You find "political correctness" intolerable or offensive though, right? ;)

Charlie Darwin
07/06/2016, 1:49 AM
It is fairly obvious what he is referring to and does so on a regular basis yet nobody kicks up a fuss about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3T56BXSpBc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3T56BXSpBc)

In any case, I think the criticism of Martin O'Neill by the PC crowd is ridiculous.
OK, that was painful. But it's also clearly satire. I don't think there's any real comparison with what MON said, with respect.

TrapAPony
07/06/2016, 1:55 AM
You find "political correctness" intolerable or offensive though, right? ;)

That would be an ecumenical matter Danny;)

DannyInvincible
07/06/2016, 1:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOkXDfUvGM

OK for the BBC?

Once again, I think that's satire/parody of perceived "old fogey" attitudes for the purpose of ridicule, but if people want to take issue with something or perceive it as offensive, they're more than entitled to criticise and to make their issues known. Nobody has to agree with them, but if they make a well-reasoned argument, then maybe some others will subsequently see things under a different light and will see what the initial complaint-maker saw.

I don't think Martin's gag was satirical nor was his use of the word "queer" an act of reclamation. By the way, the problem wasn't solely with the fact that he used the word "queer". It was the suggestion that there was something weird/bad/funny with being gay.

TCM explains perfectly the problems with what Martin said above.

SkStu
07/06/2016, 2:21 AM
Hey funboys, get a room!

gastric
07/06/2016, 3:03 AM
Hey funboys, get a room!

Roy would have to be on top.....

DeLorean
07/06/2016, 8:50 AM
By the way, the problem wasn't solely with the fact that he used the word "queer". It was the suggestion that there was something weird/bad/funny with being gay.

Not sure about that. The choice of word was the major problem I think. If O'Neill had said that they brought Guppy and Walford along because he didn't want people to think himself and Keane were "a couple" nobody would have batted an eyelid I suspect, and I reckon he'd probably have even got few laughs. It could still be interpreted as meaning there's something wrong with being gay but I doubt anybody would have even bothered.

The comparisons to things said by professional comedians, satire, etc. is difficult to fathom.

paul_oshea
07/06/2016, 9:07 AM
In the print media this morning it did sound more apologetic. However I don't like that he is saying i wont try to be funny or words to that effect again. Its still a bit toys out of the pram and worries me that he won't be up for these Q&As again.

And why come out and say "I knew straight after I said it", because in the video yesterday he acted like he was unsure he had said anything wrong...

SwanVsDalton
07/06/2016, 9:23 AM
I dunno. The media have been exceptionally quiet on this. It happened last Wednesday and we only really started hearing murmurs yesterday, if I'm not mistaken. It's the sort of thing that could brew up a storm in the UK or if he was the adversary or political opponent of someone with power in the media.

Interesting point this - it seems the media were at pains to put this story in the proper context, before running anything potentially destabilising against O'Neill and the Irish team. Admirable on one hand, possibly a little soft soap on the other.

For instance, there was no such consideration given about his slamming of Dunphy on the same night (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/martin-oneill-had-a-serious-dig-at-eamon-dunphy-and-playful-dig-at-mayfield-last-night-34766934.html). Second Captains ran those quotes out on the podcast the next day too.

It was a horrible expression in this context and MON should know better but his apology appears fairly comprehensive to me. Time for some football to wash all this stuff away.

tetsujin1979
07/06/2016, 9:39 AM
may, or may not, be related that an Irish Times journalist was told he was not allowed to interview players at the weekend after some scathing articles on Delaney in recent times.

paul_oshea
07/06/2016, 9:51 AM
I think the point is TrapAPony, we all find different things funny. We all find different things not funny. We all find some things offensive, we all find some things insulting. Being aware of those around us, and their feelings for whatever reason - lets remove the sexual preference element - is whats important. If you can destabalise someone with words, then why use them? Being aware and empathetic to those who are offended by certains words is important. Doesn't matter whether its fat, black, darkie, n*, p@ki, pikey etc...

There is still ways to be funny about these things, but without using offensive terms - Delorean kinda hit it with the didn't want people getting the wrong idea, without actually using the word he used.

Anyway I just want to talk about football now and hope O'Neill doesn't let this hold his personality and openeness with the public change in any shape or form. Its probably something his daugthers would be able say and take on board. Men of his generation seem to take this advice best from the females in their lives.

Gather round
07/06/2016, 10:52 AM
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz196/BillMcComish/ultonia/co-option_zpsbkqc9opw.png (http://s827.photobucket.com/user/BillMcComish/media/ultonia/co-option_zpsbkqc9opw.png.html)

tetsujin1979
07/06/2016, 10:53 AM
I don't get it.

sadloserkid
07/06/2016, 11:42 AM
Is it a Dublin = The Pale thing? :confused:

Stuttgart88
07/06/2016, 11:45 AM
I presume it's just a noted bigot saying that MON is too much of a bigot for her to associate with? Really funny.

thischarmingman
07/06/2016, 12:47 PM
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz196/BillMcComish/ultonia/co-option_zpsbkqc9opw.png (http://s827.photobucket.com/user/BillMcComish/media/ultonia/co-option_zpsbkqc9opw.png.html)

And with one post, the entire forum is united once more, albeit in collective cringe.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Britney-Spears-Cringe-Face.gif

tetsujin1979
07/06/2016, 1:09 PM
oh, it's a joke. I still don't get it.

Charlie Darwin
07/06/2016, 3:17 PM
may, or may not, be related that an Irish Times journalist was told he was not allowed to interview players at the weekend after some scathing articles on Delaney in recent times.
Sunday Times actually, Peter Rowan.

Stuttgart88
07/06/2016, 3:45 PM
Paul Rowan.

Charlie Darwin
07/06/2016, 3:47 PM
No, it's his evil twin Peter.

tetsujin1979
07/06/2016, 4:20 PM
contract extended for management team until the 2018 World Cup: http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/martin-oneill-extends-ireland-contract

tricky_colour
08/06/2016, 2:32 AM
It's marriage made in heaven, but obviously not a gay one.

paul_oshea
08/06/2016, 9:59 AM
Are people happy with the extension, I notice it said till after the 2018 world cup. So the feel is qualification and having everything sorted by then. Its quite apparent we have much more pressing and urgent things to be discussing these few weeks.

DeLorean
08/06/2016, 10:14 AM
I am. Wales under Coleman and England under Hodgson both improved massively in their second qualification campaigns. O'Neill has really grown into the job but has only really got to grips with it fairly recently I think. Sometimes a change is what's needed (Trap's last campaign) and sometimes continuity seems a better option. I think we'd be taking a couple of steps backwards if we needed to get a new manager in place.

backstothewall
08/06/2016, 1:32 PM
I'm also very happy. Even if we don't get a point in France the results in qualifying merit another 2 years in my opinion.

That's all the results in qualifying btw. With the exception of the Scotland games we had some smashing results. The focus will always go on the Germany win, but the draw in the game in Germany are the win in Georgia were very important results.

paul_oshea
08/06/2016, 3:21 PM
They were very important, because the easier expected results never materialised. My worry would be that we might not be able pull off those results again this time, but we don't have the big calibre team to run away with things this time either. So the results that didnt go so well are more important this time, as they were against average sides around our level. We have 3 teams around our level this time, and we need to be achieveing the expected results off them.

I hope MON learnt that from the last time out. We need to be getting the odd win away from home against average sides. We still haven't done that. But we also need to ensure the performance is good enough to guarantee at least a draw - last time out it wasn't.

DeLorean
08/06/2016, 3:39 PM
Austria might emerge as being significantly above our level in the coming weeks. I don't know much a about them but their Euro qualification results were massively impressive, stuff we could only dream about in all honesty.

Stuttgart88
09/06/2016, 9:28 AM
True but didn't they lose 2-0 to Netherlands last week?

DeLorean
09/06/2016, 9:42 AM
They did, but I'd take their qualification results far more seriously. Netherlands are always going to be capable of decent results, they won at Wembley too recently. We lost at home to Belarus and Spain lost at home to Georgia so friendlies can throw up strange results too, not that Netherlands beating anybody should be considered all that strange.

DannyInvincible
09/06/2016, 9:45 AM
Francis Fitzgibbon, who plays for the Dublin Devils (Ireland's only all-male gay football team), was on Ray D'Arcy (yesterday, I think) and explained his reaction and the problem with O'Neill's comment in his words. The full discussion is here: https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/francis-fitzgibbon-dublin-devils-fc-on-martin-oneills-queer-joke

We felt that sinking level of disappointment [when we heard the comment]. Kind of like the "here we go again" feeling. We felt not so much anger, more so disappointment. It's not even the word. You say the word "queers" there. When we're joking among ourselves we occasionally call each other queers. We're having a laugh and we're joking. I don't have such a problem with the word, but it's the sentiment of "we're the lads, and ye are separate or different over there"; that demarcation of "us" from "the gay people". And it's that connotation of, y'know, that "we didn't want to be considered as queers because obviously they're bad things".

He was nevertheless happy with and appreciative of the apology.

paul_oshea
09/06/2016, 10:11 AM
Eh that separation by what exactly? An all gay male team...hypocritical to say the least.

Get over yerself, ye .. :D

I think this kinda thing coming from him is just as bad. A team shoudn't be all one or the other. Sorry yer not one of us ye cant play. Sounds a bit like having your cake and eating it.

DannyInvincible
09/06/2016, 10:27 AM
The reason they set up that team was so those who feel excluded from football can feel included. The team provides a safe and secure outlet for expression and celebration of their gay identity in an environment that is otherwise cold. Very different dynamic. Being on the inside - in the dominant group - and being on the outside makes all the difference. Martin is on the inside; gay footballers are still on the outside.

There's an argument that identity politics can perpetuate a sense of difference, certainly, but there'd be no need to solidify around this "different" characteristic if the maligned/excluded group weren't ostracised for it in the first place. I think accusations of hypocrisy completely misunderstand the power dynamic here.

Ultimately, it's up to the broad footballing fraternity to include the LGBTQ community and to make sure they feel included. The door has to be opened for them. The community don't have the power to dictate or force their own inclusion.

paul_oshea
09/06/2016, 11:18 AM
Ah its going to the positive discrimination side. Maybe they let anyone "in" but to me its just as annoying as those who get on their high horse from the other side.

Anyone see the joe.ie video? Its taking the **** with the video. Have to say I enjoyed it, song is crap but video is awful funny. I dont like McGregor at all but the "Zlatans a bumb" is class.

"Aye killybegs"

geysir
09/06/2016, 11:37 AM
It's not a separation thing to have all gay team, it's a positive affirmation, nor is it hypocritical for Francis Fitz to take issue with the 'queer' comment.
I think most everybody understood that O'Neill sincerely apologised for the use of the word, he has nothing else to be apologising for, except perhaps some of the quality of his jokes.

paul_oshea
09/06/2016, 12:07 PM
No the hypocritical wasn't in reference to him getting upset or taking issue with the queers comment.

geysir
09/06/2016, 12:08 PM
On the contract extension to end of WC 2018, I think they both still have to justify getting an extension. Under other qualifying criteria circumstances we would have failed to get even a play off spot. Not enough evidence so far for me to be contented with. In a sense making that qualification spot gives a veneer of success to what would have been a failure in other campaign, that's why I think they still have to prove their worth and these Finals are as good a test as any.
Giles seems to think it will have a positive effect on the players at the tournament but can't say if they actually deserve the extension. But I suppose if has enough positive effect then the extension will have been justified.

geysir
09/06/2016, 12:17 PM
No the hypocritical wasn't in reference to him getting upset or taking issue with the queers comment.
Fair enough there is a distinction.You claimed he was hypocritical for making comments in relation to the 'queer' comment, namely the the separation, the difference.
And I say it wasn't hypocritical in the least.

DannyInvincible
09/06/2016, 12:50 PM
Ah its going to the positive discrimination side. Maybe they let anyone "in" but to me its just as annoying as those who get on their high horse from the other side.

Do you take issue with, say, the concept of gay bars or feel discriminated on account of their existence? Why do you think the concept emerged? It wasn't for the purpose of excluding the dominant culture from being able to have a safe and enjoyable night out. It was to provide a safe space for the excluded. The dominant culture already have plenty of spaces to go and drink, talk, dance or whatever.

Same concept applies to the gay football team. Your sexuality (assuming you identify as straight) isn't a barrier to your involvement in or enjoyment of football. For gay people, it can be, so they set up their own team. Nobody is being marginalised by that. You still have your outlet and they have theirs, otherwise denied to them because of prevailing attitudes.

DannyInvincible
09/06/2016, 12:57 PM
On the contract extension to end of WC 2018, I think they both still have to justify getting an extension. Under other qualifying criteria circumstances we would have failed to get even a play off spot. Not enough evidence so far for me to be contented with. In a sense making that qualification spot gives a veneer of success to what would have been a failure in other campaign, that's why I think they still have to prove their worth and these Finals are as good a test as any.
Giles seems to think it will have a positive effect on the players at the tournament but can't say if they actually deserve the extension. But I suppose if has enough positive effect then the extension will have been justified.

Aye, the finals are where we'll really be tested. It's the pinnacle. I mean, if we have a really bad finals, there'll be valid questions, surely. I'm not saying we will have a bad finals - I'm more positive than in 2012 - just that it's a bit premature when they could see how we get on first.

On the other hand, it does tie them down. Was speaking to Predator outside the forum and he suggested it'd secure them in case they have a good tournament as clubs could be after them then.

paul_oshea
09/06/2016, 1:29 PM
Do you take issue with, say, the concept of gay bars or feel discriminated on account of their existence? Why do you think the concept emerged? It wasn't for the purpose of excluding the dominant culture from being able to have a safe and enjoyable night out. It was to provide a safe space for the excluded. The dominant culture already have plenty of spaces to go and drink, talk, dance or whatever.

Same concept applies to the gay football team. Your sexuality (assuming you identify as straight) isn't a barrier to your involvement in or enjoyment of football. For gay people, it can be, so they set up their own team. Nobody is being marginalised by that. You still have your outlet and they have theirs, otherwise denied to them because of prevailing attitudes.

Anone can go into a gay bar. Stutts frequents them very often I have been in gay bars too. What has that got t do with anything.

How can you on one hand all inclusive and all this, and then have an "all gay" team. thats not inclusive. I don't care what your argument or reasoning behind it, its not inclusive, so dont come out using seperation and inclusive or other words to that effect then.

paul_oshea
09/06/2016, 1:31 PM

Ya thats what i was getting at with the results, lest we forget that it was a failure to qualify for any other campaign based on results. Plus his win ratio is below kerrs and traps. Though thats as much to do with his nonchalant approach to friendly games.

DeLorean
09/06/2016, 1:51 PM
The tournament criteria changes all the time, it's a bit pointless beating the achievement of qualification with that stick. Trap wouldn't have qualified if there were only eight teams in the finals as there was up until 1992. Plus, it's not as if all other factors are always completely equal. It was arguably more difficult for Ireland to finish in the top three in this particular group that the top two in the ones under Trap. Poland never imploded like Bulgaria or Slovakia, and Scotland were in a much better place as well.

Even if we had lost to B&H (in a pretty normal way, obviously not getting tanked or something) then I still think O'Neill would deserve the chance of another campaign, given our improvement as the group progressed and the knowledge that it's not always easy to hit the ground running. He's done enough over the years to prove he's a good manager so he'd still have been worth sticking with I think, even though I was probably saying the opposite this time last year, I just got the feeling his heart wasn't fully in it at the time.

One campaign is very little really to get an international team playing in your own image. Like I mentioned earlier, Wales had a bit of a horror show in Coleman's first campaign but it was well worth their while showing some patience and sticking with him, Hodgson too has recovered well after a poor finals tournament and you could add Michael O'Neill to the list of examples.

paul_oshea
09/06/2016, 2:27 PM
Criteria changes, points for matches dont.

DeLorean
09/06/2016, 2:43 PM
I don't have those stats to hand, but wouldn't read much into them anyway. Things change, the quality of the opposition, the quality of our own players, a couple of breaks here and there, etc. etc., which are all important when measuring performance.

The win over Germany was a massive plus for O'Neill. That was so badly needed it was nearly worth a contract extension on it's own!

DannyInvincible
09/06/2016, 5:32 PM
Anone can go into a gay bar. Stutts frequents them very often I have been in gay bars too. What has that got t do with anything.

How can you on one hand all inclusive and all this, and then have an "all gay" team. thats not inclusive. I don't care what your argument or reasoning behind it, its not inclusive, so dont come out using seperation and inclusive or other words to that effect then.

But the broad footballing world isn't inclusive of the LGBTQ community, so what do you suggest those who are excluded or peripheralised do instead of setting up a team to express their identity or in which they might feel more comfortable? Just opt out of participation in football altogether? To accuse them of hypocrisy for "not being inclusive" of straight people when they've set up a team to provide an outlet for themselves is to be blind to their experience and situation. Straight people have hundreds of football clubs they can join and enjoy anywhere without fear or discomfort. Many openly gay people evidently feel they don't have that luxury or option open to them (and they have good reasons to think that), so they set up their own team instead. They can still criticise the dominant culture that excludes them whilst protecting/celebrating their own identity. It absolutely isn't hypocritical. The power for change lies with the dominant culture. Once the dominant culture loses its stigma over being gay, the need for a gay football team will subside.

Many gay bars deny entry to people they suspect aren't gay as they want to protect what is a safe space for gay people or provide somewhere for a minority/marginalised group to express and celebrate their identity without having to worry about people taking issue with them. I only mentioned gay bar entry policies as there's an analogy there. I wouldn't exactly describe that as exclusion/discrimination of straight people though. Literally-speaking, it may well be, but to see it as nothing more than a mirror of dominant society's exclusion of gay people is to wilfully ignore the underlying reasons for the preservation of gay-friendly zones and the power dynamic at play.

Stuttgart88
09/06/2016, 8:32 PM
There's a new book out on football and homophobia by a guy called Dr. Andy Harvey, a friend of a friend. I saw him speak last year and the basic thrust is that as part of a concerted action by the FA, the clubs, fan groups, LGBT supporters groups and Stonewall things are getting a lot better in football. A 70 year old gay Arsenal fan said things have improved markedly since the darkest days.

As for a contradiction between seeking inclusivity and all-LGBT teams, I don't see it. After years of repression and forced anonymity people can now be bold in proclaiming their sexuality and if forming a team or club is their way of doing it that's fine. It's also a way of associating with each other through a shared interest. It's no different to immigrant clubs around the world, or London Irish / Welsh / Scottish etc in rugby.

To be honest I had never seen a Q added to LGBT before Danny's posts today. I do see it as a bit odd if LGBT folk can call themselves the Q word whereas others can't. That said I think the context of MON's quote rendered the word highly inappropriate but still....

DannyInvincible
09/06/2016, 9:44 PM
To be honest I had never seen a Q added to LGBT before Danny's posts today. I do see it as a bit odd if LGBT folk can call themselves the Q word whereas others can't. That said I think the context of MON's quote rendered the word highly inappropriate but still....

I suppose it's similar for gay people as to how "n*gger" is for black people. That word is so taboo for non-black people to say or use that many won't even put it in quote marks when referring to it and will instead just call it "the 'N' word". I have hesitations with just putting it in print myself, but I think it's pretty obvious there's no intent whatsoever when it's placed inside quote marks. It's simply a reference to something others say.

Yet, plenty of black people will use it to self-refer, as a term of affection or cultural/communal embrace. Mind you, it isn't universally viewwed as acceptable by black people. Many object to even black people using it to self-refer as a term of endearment.

Both words had pejorative origins and still possess such connotations whilst having simultaneously been reclaimed as forms of defiance by those who were or are subjected to their deployment.

In the acronym, 'Q' refers to "queer" obviously and acts as an umbrella for those who fall outside both "straight" and the LGBT categories. It'd include, for example, those who don't identify with the traditional Western binary concept of gender (maybe they identify with a third gender or another), those who don't identify with any gender at all (agender) or those who are gender/sexuality-fluid.

tetsujin1979
09/06/2016, 11:33 PM
ok, this is getting waaaaay off topic. Can we move the sexual politics to the off topic, or current affairs forum?

TheOneWhoKnocks
11/06/2016, 1:08 PM
Always enjoy Brian Kerr's articles.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/brian-kerr-six-ways-ireland-can-beat-the-swedes-34791241.html

Fixer82
13/06/2016, 7:47 AM
Always enjoy Brian Kerr's articles.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2016/brian-kerr-six-ways-ireland-can-beat-the-swedes-34791241.html

Good article. And he's right!! Paul Green played very well that night against Sweden. I always felt he got a bit of a raw deal from fans. I remember him being our man of the match in an early O'Neill friendly against Bulgaria(?) too. There have been much worse players to pull on the green jersey. Also felt Darron Gibson was out of order for, perhaps inadvertently, singling him out in Euro 2012.