PDA

View Full Version : Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

the doc
01/02/2015, 9:19 AM
The MON and Keane appointments have so far been a disappointment.
We have just stumbled along, no progression and sadly with a real possibility of not qualifying for the Euros in France.

For me MON is a spent force as a manager, even more so without his long time friend and number 2 Robertson.

I also doubt whether the Ireland managers job was MONs first priority and only took the job as a fallback after missing out on a couple of Premiership clubs.

As for Roy "If your looking for trouble you've come to the right place" Keane.

It clearly hasn't worked, some will say give him time but if it was working then why has MON brought in additional backroom staff?

The signs are that MON has lost his way.
Poor team selections, tactics and what happened to this open flowing attacking football we were promised?

Mr Trapattoni got heavily criticised and yes the last campaign was one too many, but let's not forget he was a hand ball away from possibly getting us to the World Cup and we made the Euros where we faced three teams in the top ten world rankings, two that made the finals.

As for the gruesome twosome,
I suspect that the FAI feel that both appointments have not lived upto expectations, but do not have the finances to cut their losses.

Sadly I feel it will be Germany Poland and the Scots in France with Ireland and the management team left at home making excuses.

Mr Trapattoni, thanks for the memories.

seanfhear
01/02/2015, 9:28 AM
Martin O Neill certainly deserves more time.

Road Rage Roy certainly has the potential to be a car crash !

DannyInvincible
01/02/2015, 10:38 AM
Poor team selections, tactics and what happened to this open flowing attacking football we were promised?

I suspect that the FAI feel that both appointments have not lived upto expectations, but do not have the finances to cut their losses.

When did O'Neill promise open and flowing attacking football?

The draw away in Germany has been a highlight. We're only four games into the group with six still to play. Of course, there's a possibility we mightn't qualify. There's also a possibility we might qualify. Nothing's even near decided yet, so I don't know how you can start talking about them having failed to meet the FAI's expectations.

Charlie Darwin
04/02/2015, 12:42 PM
The MON and Keane appointments have so far been a disappointment.
We have just stumbled along, no progression and sadly with a real possibility of not qualifying for the Euros in France.

For me MON is a spent force as a manager, even more so without his long time friend and number 2 Robertson.

I also doubt whether the Ireland managers job was MONs first priority and only took the job as a fallback after missing out on a couple of Premiership clubs.

As for Roy "If your looking for trouble you've come to the right place" Keane.

It clearly hasn't worked, some will say give him time but if it was working then why has MON brought in additional backroom staff?

The signs are that MON has lost his way.

Mr Trapattoni got heavily criticised and yes the last campaign was one too many, but let's not forget he was a hand ball away from possibly getting us to the World Cup and we made the Euros where we faced three teams in the top ten world rankings, two that made the finals.

Sadly I feel it will be Germany Poland and the Scots in France with Ireland and the management team left at home making excuses.

Mr Trapattoni, thanks for the memories.
Relax, Sean. I'm sure if your trial in DC goes well you'll be right back in MON's plans.

NeverFeltBetter
04/02/2015, 12:52 PM
Man, those Trap apologists really can't get over how MON was able to get a point out of Germany huh? Really upset the narrative.

jbyrne
04/02/2015, 1:59 PM
Man, those Trap apologists really can't get over how MON was able to get a point out of Germany huh? Really upset the narrative.

kinda similar achievement to when traps team drew away against the then world champions Italy in 2009

geysir
04/02/2015, 8:05 PM
They shouldn't need to get that upset, they would be well advised to follow the example set by some members here, just play the 'he/we got lucky' card when things go against their beliefs.

DannyInvincible
06/02/2015, 9:39 AM
Roy is taking up his role with ITV again this month: http://balls.ie/football/457694-roy-keane-returns-to-an-old-job/

Roy Keane’s sole dedication to the Irish team didn’t last too long, the Ireland assistant manager is reportedly (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2942313/Paul-Scholes-Roy-Keane-sit-alongside-Mark-Pougatch-ITV-debut.html) taking up his old position analyst with ITV starting on February 17th. The Corkonian will line up beside Paul Scholes and new presenter Mark Pougatch, in what is his first match since taking up the role after the sacking of Adrian Chiles, as Chelsea face PSG in the Champions League.

Keane left ITV in a lurch last Summer, quitting the station just a day before the World Cup, a move not unfamiliar to Irish fans during a certain World Cup. He took up a role with Villa not long after before quitting that job in late November, ostensibly to concentrate on his role with Ireland.

It is difficult to see how the time could not be better spent watching Ireland players however, Cyrus Christie, Jeff Hendrick, James McClean, and Eoin Doyle are amongst Irish players who could be in action the same night as the PSG – Chelsea match.

DeLorean
06/02/2015, 9:53 AM
So he should be at a game at every available opportunity? Bit of an unrealistic ask.

DannyInvincible
06/02/2015, 10:01 AM
So he should be at a game at every available opportunity? Bit of an unrealistic ask.

Do the FAI set a minimum number of games to attend/have any role in advising or deciding which games to attend or are he and Martin pretty much left to their own devices on that front? If the ITV thing clashed with an FAI obligation, obviously there'd be a problem there, but, as you say, I don't think we could or should expect him to be at every game possible involving an Irish player.

tetsujin1979
06/02/2015, 10:15 AM
It's not like the players listed above are only going to be playing on that night either

DeLorean
06/02/2015, 11:14 AM
I really doubt it Danny but who knows. MON and Keane surely have the freedom to select as they wish, it would be counter productive otherwise. O'Neill could feel the need to watch some players more than others. He might wish to focus on centre backs, for example, if he feels he's well fixed in other areas. I'd presume the only FAI requirement is that they don't take the p!ss like Trap.

DannyInvincible
06/02/2015, 11:37 AM
Ha, below what number of games attended would be considered unacceptable "Trap p*ss-taking" levels, I wonder. One or two?

DeLorean
06/02/2015, 11:52 AM
In fairness to Trap, when he went to watch Hendrick play for Derby, he managed to come back with Keogh and Sammon as well. When you get results like that it reduces the amount of games you need to attend considerably :)

Stuttgart88
06/02/2015, 11:58 AM
I still think there was an element of spite on Trap's part. You want me to go and see games? Well, I did and I'm now picking Sammon. Be careful what you wish for. Ciao.

geysir
06/02/2015, 1:08 PM
So he picked Sammon to play the whole game against Spain, in a high profile friendly, out of spite??
Stutts, that suspicion is firmly embedded in the tin foil hat, loonie bin, conspiracy territory.

DeLorean
06/02/2015, 1:13 PM
Tongue-in-cheek, surely? Nevermind the Spain game, he played the whole of the Austria game at Lansdowne too.

The Fly
06/02/2015, 2:25 PM
Roy is taking up his role with ITV again this month: http://balls.ie/football/457694-roy-keane-returns-to-an-old-job/

Originally Posted by Daryl Bolger

Roy Keane’s sole dedication to the Irish team didn’t last too long, the Ireland assistant manager is reportedly (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2942313/Paul-Scholes-Roy-Keane-sit-alongside-Mark-Pougatch-ITV-debut.html) taking up his old position analyst with ITV starting on February 17th. The Corkonian will line up beside Paul Scholes and new presenter Mark Pougatch, in what is his first match since taking up the role after the sacking of Adrian Chiles, as Chelsea face PSG in the Champions League.

Keane left ITV in a lurch last Summer, quitting the station just a day before the World Cup, a move not unfamiliar to Irish fans during a certain World Cup. He took up a role with Villa not long after before quitting that job in late November, ostensibly to concentrate on his role with Ireland.

It is difficult to see how the time could not be better spent watching Ireland players however, Cyrus Christie, Jeff Hendrick, James McClean, and Eoin Doyle are amongst Irish players who could be in action the same night as the PSG – Chelsea match.

The writer neglected to mention that Roy's 'old job' is distinctly short-term, given that this is ITV's last year of Champions League coverage.

DeLorean
06/02/2015, 2:35 PM
The final is the day before the England friendly and week before the Scotland game. It would probably be better if he doesn't sign up for that!

Fixer82
07/02/2015, 11:43 AM
He's signed up to ITV on a game to game basis.
What is the big deal?
Football managers can often be seen commentating on games on TV.
Non-story again but when it comes to Roy there's no such thing as a non-story it seems

DeLorean
23/06/2015, 1:11 PM
KIERAN SHANNON: Martin O’Neill scoring an own goal by keeping players in dark (http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/martin-oneill-scoring-an-own-goal-by-keeping-players-in-dark-338514.html)

Stuttgart88
23/06/2015, 1:52 PM
Not naming the team is one thing, but not practicing using your preferred starting XI at least once during the build up seems strange.

Crosby87
23/06/2015, 3:09 PM
Scotland had a drone over Irish practice, a new twist in the competitive sports world. Maybe MO was trying to throw them off.
Surely the NE Pats were doing that on the way to the super bowl last year. we need a drone to spy on our upcoming opponents chaps.mI'm not joshing either.

Fixer82
23/06/2015, 3:12 PM
Scotland had a drone over Irish practice, a new twist in the competitive sports world. Maybe MO was trying to throw them off.
Surely the NE Pats were doing that on the way to the super bowl last year. we need a drone to spy on our upcoming opponents chaps.mI'm not joshing either.

Hard to know whether to take you seriously or not. You're normally such a josher :silly:

OwlsFan
24/06/2015, 10:17 AM
I would trust Martin O'Neill's judgement over Kieran Shannon, whoever he might be.

Crosby87
24/06/2015, 12:43 PM
If he transitions he could be Shannon Kieran. Or is Shannon generally a man's name in your fine country, chaps?

BonnieShels
24/06/2015, 3:51 PM
Rarely. I've never come across and Irish male Shannon.

Stuttgart88
24/06/2015, 7:42 PM
Shannon Doherty from Bev Hills 90210 or whatever it was called. She was nice.

Eminence Grise
24/06/2015, 8:11 PM
That was one Shannon who floated my boat back then!

But no, I've never heard of a man called Shannon either.

Charlie Darwin
24/06/2015, 8:19 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Hoon

tetsujin1979
24/06/2015, 10:45 PM
wrestler Shannon Moore: https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Shannon_Moore

Eminence Grise
25/06/2015, 10:16 AM
Both of whom are American, which kind of confirms what Crosby was asking.

osarusan
25/06/2015, 10:20 AM
Shannon Banks is a fella down here in Limerick.

Or maybe it's a housing estate.

DeLorean
25/06/2015, 11:29 AM
I've heard of a boy named Sue alright.

Crosby87
25/06/2015, 12:15 PM
Its somewhat common for african american males now that I think of it. Shannon Sharpe.

Crosby87
25/06/2015, 12:20 PM
Maurice ranked 18th in top 50 most influential Premier League people OF ALL TIME.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3138213/Top-50-influential-people-Premier-League-history-20-11-featuring-Roy-Keane-Patrick-Vieira-Jack-Walker-Sheik-Mansour.html

paul_oshea
25/06/2015, 1:09 PM
Rarely. I've never come across and Irish male Shannon.

What about a female one?

Desyf
25/06/2015, 1:26 PM
Dirty boy..

BonnieShels
25/06/2015, 2:20 PM
What about a female one?

Filth.

No. But there was a Shannen once.

Crosby87
25/06/2015, 2:28 PM
The aforementioned but misspelled Shannen Doherty? Hmmmm....just noticed you can see her playboy pics. Forgot about those.

paul_oshea
25/06/2015, 2:46 PM
You don't just notice, you just google.

TheOneWhoKnocks
27/06/2015, 4:33 PM
Keane: Irish players have to leave Ireland to get called up (as soon as they land on English soil)

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/ireland/2015/06/27/13094622/keane-league-of-ireland-players-must-leave-to-get-ireland

The League of Ireland is probably comparable to the Allsvenskan and the Tippeligaen. The Swedish and Norwegian national football teams are on a par with the Irish national football team. They have a whole host of domestic based players. Sometimes if they are called up to the national team, the exposure helps them earn a move to a league of a higher standard. Just like the exposure of Irish players to the Europa League and Champions League will increase interest in their services.

I don't understand the logic of ignoring players like Massey, Horgan & Towell just because they are playing in Ireland. Fair enough but they call up Brian Lenihan as soon as he completes a transfer to Hull. If they are good enough they are good enough. Around 37.5% of the teams Ireland will play competitively aren't much stronger than Hajduk Split anyway.

Nobody is saying they should be fast tracked to the team, but it would make more sense calling them up and analysing them in training with English based professionals than counterproductive call ups of people like Adam Rooney and Stephen Kelly who have no real future in the team.

Just to think. Rosenberg traditionally supply at least a quarter of the Norwegian national team and they were outplayed by Sligo Rovers. Sligo Rovers!

Charlie Darwin
01/07/2015, 11:51 AM
Rumoured today Leicester are lining up Martin O Neil to replace Nigel Pearson. No idea if there's anything to it but... what would people think if he did go?

BonnieShels
01/07/2015, 12:03 PM
Rumoured today Leicester are lining up Martin O Neil to replace Nigel Pearson. No idea if there's anything to it but... what would people think if he did go?

I'd be okay with it.

Who would take over though...? Hiddink? Keane?

bennocelt
01/07/2015, 12:16 PM

14/1 on PP
Still, could be a strong possiblity

DeLorean
01/07/2015, 1:52 PM

Well it would suggest (in my mind at least) that his heart was never really in it in the first place and we're better off finding someone else. Then the fear would take over as to who we're actually going to get. It really wouldn't say much for him if he left us in our current predicament but that's football, people do what they want. I'm not sure I'd be overly inspired as a Leicester fan either, despite his brilliant history there. The nostalgia and emotion would probably cloud any initial concerns but reality could set in soon enough, if he actually is a manager on the slide without his highly rated sidekick.

jbyrne
01/07/2015, 2:18 PM

id say that rumour is nothing more than paper talk which counts for nothing really

Kingdom
02/07/2015, 11:51 AM

Surely there'd have to be compensation. cough splutter cough.

I think I would be ok with it. snigger.

Stuttgart88
02/07/2015, 1:34 PM
I've also heard Neil Lennon is being considered, which would make more sense.

BonnieShels
02/07/2015, 2:22 PM
I've also heard Neil Lennon is being considered, which would make more sense.

For the Ireland job obviously. :)