PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

joey B
31/10/2022, 7:16 PM
https://ltfc.ie/2022/10/club-statement-gary-cronin/

Gary Cronin departs Longford.

nr637
31/10/2022, 8:08 PM
Rumour that Healy's contract at Cork City is up for renewal for the 2023 season!

Bunny Kelly
01/11/2022, 10:04 PM
When does the PFAI list get released, Monday after last round or much later?

joey B
01/11/2022, 10:10 PM
When does the PFAI list get released, Monday after last round or much later?

https://www.pfai.ie/news/transfer-list-now-online

Released on the 9th of November last year….

RealJohn91
02/11/2022, 5:12 PM
Gary Cronin going to Bohs as part of Devine's staff apparently https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/9666322/gary-cronin-bohemians-declan-devine/

Longfordian
02/11/2022, 5:45 PM
Interesting. He apparently told the club he had a new full time job outside football that he wanted to concentrate on. Suppose if he's part time with Bohs then training in the mornings may suit him better. He wasn't under contract as far as I know so I don't know why he'd need to make up an excuse.

outspoken
02/11/2022, 6:50 PM
Interesting. He apparently told the club he had a new full time job outside football that he wanted to concentrate on.

Not the case afaik. I understand he left on very good terms and it wasn't a case of it happening overnight, discussions had been ongoing for a while. You've got to remember he's got a young family. Can't be easy training in evenings and traveling all over country for PT money. I'd imagine if he goes Bohs the new morning training would suit him massively.

DCSIL
02/11/2022, 6:56 PM
Any thoughts who might come in? Good starter job for a new coach, despite low crowds Longford seem to be backed well.

Glen Of Aherlow
02/11/2022, 7:21 PM
Anything in the Jamie Lennon to Bohs Rumours …..I certainly hope not

Longfordian
02/11/2022, 7:22 PM
Not the case afaik. I understand he left on very good terms and it wasn't a case of it happening overnight, discussions had been ongoing for a while. You've got to remember he's got a young family. Can't be easy training in evenings and traveling all over country for PT money. I'd imagine if he goes Bohs the new morning training would suit him massively.

Fair enough that was just one report I read. The Leader maybe I can't remember. I don't begrudge him taking the job at all if that's better for him. I took it from the club statement that it was all amicable so I would have been surprised if he'd told them one thing and done another. A young manager with promise is usually a good fit as while we have loyal sponsors and a great chairman we still operate on a tight budget.

Martinho II
02/11/2022, 9:37 PM
Any thoughts who might come in? Good starter job for a new coach, despite low crowds Longford seem to be backed well.

Names linked so far is Vinny Perth,Ian Morris and Keith Long. I like Ian Morris' CV and think he would be the better fit for us.

outspoken
03/11/2022, 12:29 AM
Names linked so far is Vinny Perth,Ian Morris and Keith Long. I like Ian Morris' CV and think he would be the better fit for us.

You must have the the version of the CV without relegated a Shels team more than capable of staying up and sacked after a handful of games at Waterford because his style of football was like something from the stone age?

outspoken
03/11/2022, 12:31 AM

I'd say Vinny is nailed on, although when he sits down and realises what kind of budget he'd have compared to what he's had in the past how keen will he be. Johnny Martin would be my pick.

Longfordian
03/11/2022, 12:20 PM
I'm sure Vinny would still have the contacts at the club to find out what the likely budget is before he applies. Take your point though that he's not necessarily got experience of working to a tight budget. I've only ever heard good things about John Martin so would be happy with him too.

joey B
03/11/2022, 12:47 PM
When’s the last time Longford had a local manager? Can only remember Dublin managers and Neale Fenn but maybe I’m missing someone…

Longfordian
03/11/2022, 1:33 PM
Hmm. Martinho is our resident historian but I'd say 'Zac' Hackett in the 1980s? Michael O'Connor from Athlone was probably closest since.

outspoken
03/11/2022, 2:47 PM
When’s the last time Longford had a local manager? Can only remember Dublin managers and Neale Fenn but maybe I’m missing someone…

It's a county with a population of about 40,000, how many pro license holders or elie level football coaches do people expect a county like that to produce?

joey B
03/11/2022, 2:53 PM
It's a county with a population of about 40,000, how many pro license holders or elie level football coaches do people expect a county like that to produce?

It was only a question out of curiosity,I know exactly the limitations a county like Longford would have in terms of player/coaching pool….

ger121
03/11/2022, 3:45 PM

More than zero?

Neish
03/11/2022, 5:08 PM

Perhaps one?

Neish
03/11/2022, 5:10 PM

Curiosity got the better of me, according to Wikipedia/google last anyway local was Michael O'Connor(Athlone) 1996-1998

kksaints
03/11/2022, 5:33 PM
Ian Ryan gone from Wexford it seems.

https://wexfordfc.ie/latest-news/1385-club-statement-ian-ryan

sbgawa
03/11/2022, 5:36 PM
Don't know who does Ryan's PR but 6th in a poor division a d he is the next great hope for Ireland manager if you listened to the media chatter about him.

The Bowler
03/11/2022, 5:43 PM
I think Ian Ryan may be on his way back to UCD as number 1

The Bowler
03/11/2022, 5:47 PM
And the reason I say UCD, the club do not like indiscipline, long history of punishing it, and Myler has been suspended for a lot of games this season, most recently for disgustingly abusing an official, well always for abusing officials I also hear on the grapevine that his issues are not solely with officials. So I'm going out on a limb here, they are sacking Myler (he will say work commitments), and Ryaner is coming home. Hopefully so

dublinwanderer
03/11/2022, 5:52 PM
And the reason I say UCD, the club do not like indiscipline, long history of punishing it, and Myler has been suspended for a lot of games this season, most recently for disgustingly abusing an official, well always for abusing officials I also hear on the grapevine that his issues are not solely with officials. So I'm going out on a limb here, they are sacking Myler (he will say work commitments), and Ryaner is coming home. Hopefully so

Heard Ian Ryan is almost certain to take over in Bray with Devo taking a back seat! Should be announced in the next few days

The Bowler
03/11/2022, 5:55 PM
Heard Ian Ryan is almost certain to take over in Bray with Devo taking a back seat! Should be announced in the next few days That would make sense, but if he thinks Devo is taking a back seat, he should speak to Collie ONeill and find out how that worked out. If Devo name is anywhere involved, then it will end in tears

ForzaForth
03/11/2022, 6:36 PM
Huge blow for Wexford. Ryaner did a fantastic job over the season and a half he was with us and not surprised he's in demand.

Martinho II
03/11/2022, 7:27 PM

Zac Hackett managed Longford Town from mid 80s to early mths of 91/92 season so would be our last local manager to manage us.

De Town
03/11/2022, 7:35 PM
Don't know who does Ryan's PR but 6th in a poor division a d he is the next great hope for Ireland manager if you listened to the media chatter about him.

Nail on head. I don't get it myself.

Wexford played some nice football but in the end they achieved nothing. And they weren't doing it with no budget or a team of kids either. Dinny Corcoran, Aaron Dobbs, Aidan Friel, Conor Davis, Lorcan Fitzgerald, Jack Doherty, Joe Manley. All experienced players with plenty of Premier Division appearances between them.

Yes they had some promising looking young lads too but I don't get the praise for Ryan. He could go on to be the best manager in the country in time, but Tommy Barrett, Gary Cronin and even the Athlone manager Lennon (first name escapes me) all done equally as good or better jobs with the tools at their disposal for me. Ryan always the one to get linked for bigger and better things though.

And if he's leaving to take up the reigns at CaBray then good luck to him!

Olander
03/11/2022, 7:43 PM
Completely in agreement with the bemusement at the hype over Ian Ryan.

Simply put, not achieving a playoff place this year with the squad at his disposal was a major failure.

Don't make excuses for him, "it's a project", "the football is great", "next year we'll be going for the title". The absolute minimum expectation of Ryan at Wexford this year should've been a playoff place and he didn't achieve that.

He seems to be buddy buddy with a few of the LOI media fraternity, but they can't mask that failure. Wexford should never have finished behind Treaty this year, they're basically an amateur outfit, but Treaty have an accomplished manager that knows how to play to his teams strengths.

In my book, he had a stronger squad than both Treaty and Longford this year.

RealJohn91
03/11/2022, 8:11 PM
There are people in that media circle who don't make it clear regularly what other work they do around the league which might be why someone like Ryan gets hype beyond their actual achievements in the game.

Jd2793
03/11/2022, 8:50 PM
dont know maybe people watch the games and see some semblance of a plan and a style of play , which is lacking in the first division. ryan made a massive error starting the season with hunt in goal, moody is way better. we (cork) struggled against them in our 4 games this season and were very lucky to win up there twice. personally think hes the best manager in the first division by a distance.

Olander
03/11/2022, 9:04 PM
dont know maybe people watch the games and see some semblance of a plan and a style of play , which is lacking in the first division. ryan made a massive error starting the season with hunt in goal, moody is way better. we (cork) struggled against them in our 4 games this season and were very lucky to win up there twice. personally think hes the best manager in the first division by a distance.
His plan wasn't good enough to finish above 6th in a 9 team division with some incredibly poor teams in it.

The league table never lies.

He has achieved nothing in the game and does not deserve the bizarre hype that surrounds him.

da bishop
03/11/2022, 9:17 PM
To be fair to Ryan thought he did a decent enough job ,assembled a good squad with a low budget...the big thing about him for me was his ability to get the team playing attractive football,ya a case can be made in terms of where Wexford finished but they have improved playing entertaining stuff.In fairness Cronin,Lennon had their teams trying to play a similar style,Barrett has achieved some very good results with Treaty but its a hard watch ,a lot of long aimless ball.Agree Ryan going to Bray with Delvin still around is madness.

outspoken
03/11/2022, 9:20 PM
Was at all 4 games against Wexford this season and watched their cup game v Dundalk too, played really good football in almost all of them but the one big concern is the fact when he took over Wexford they were leaking goals and that continued this season. Squad always looked top heavy so maybe he was going to address that in the off-season but certaintly a surprise to see him go now having apparently turned down Waterford and Bohs.

DCSIL
04/11/2022, 6:54 AM
Don't know who does Ryan's PR

Have you given up being Ollie Horgan's PR man now Harps are Relegated?

Stav
04/11/2022, 1:42 PM
Wonder sometimes at all the vitriol aimed at Pat Devlin. Not a good year but where would Bray be if Cabinteely had not taken them over? Why have they had so many owners in a short period of time. I think that despite this year they will kick on if Tony Richardson delivers what he says.
Its easy to point the finger but Devlin has done a lot over the years to ensure Bray survived. Collie O'Neill was sadly missed and would be the ideal man to take charge.
Lets see what happens.

joey B
04/11/2022, 2:19 PM
https://www.corkcityfc.ie/home/2022/11/04/healy-murphy-confirmed-as-managers-for-2023/

Colin Healy staying as Cork City manager.

RealJohn91
04/11/2022, 2:56 PM
Talbot signed a new contract with Bohs. Him and Buckley being at the club next season is a huge boost. https://bohemianfc.com/?p=18651

sbgawa
04/11/2022, 3:18 PM
Have you given up being Ollie Horgan's PR man now Harps are Relegated?

Well if i was doing his PR i would at least be able to say he kept Harps up against the odds year after year while clubs like Shels , Cork etc with budgets way above him went down.
He also was/is unbelievably hard working.
Imagine if Ian Ryan had actually done that instaed of finishing 6th in a 9 team divison hed be managing Ireland at this stage for sure if not Manchester United.
I reckon Ollies time is up at Harps but hopefullly the new stadium progress delivers enough momentum to push the club on.

Onapointoforder
05/11/2022, 7:56 PM
Huge blow for Wexford. Ryaner did a fantastic job over the season and a half he was with us and not surprised he's in demand.

Wexford FC advertising for Head of Academy , reporting to the Head of Football. Who is the Head of Football at Wexford FC?

ForzaForth
05/11/2022, 8:16 PM
Director of Football at Wexford was Tom O'Connor but he has now left. Subject to correction, I think they've now split the job into two with a Head of Football and Head of Academy. No formal announcement as to who the new Head of Football is going to be as yet.

Onapointoforder
05/11/2022, 8:44 PM
Director of Football at Wexford was Tom O'Connor but he has now left. Subject to correction, I think they've now split the job into two with a Head of Football and Head of Academy. No formal announcement as to who the new Head of Football is going to be as yet.

Thanks. So new Head of Football, new First Team Manager and new Head of Academy. All change!

Jack B
07/11/2022, 1:08 AM
Let Barry Cotter free.

oriel
07/11/2022, 9:09 AM
Will be interesting to see the calibre of playing incoming now for Dundalk, Shepperd has 1+1 deal, so he'll sign, then with Hoban, Kelly, Sloggett, Lewis, O'Kane and possibly Doyle and Mountney all under contract it's a good base to start off with. Would imagine Ward will be extended, same for Leahy prob in a 2 year deal, but we need central defenders. Lewis Macari had an excellent season but he is probably heading back to Stoke City.

I'd imagine Benson will do his usual one year deal, but a good few of the old guard will probably have played their last game in the shape of McMillan, Cherrie, possibly Gartland but he had a great game last night in Derry, Boyle is at end of the last bigger contracts under p6 so he'll need to adjust his earning expectation or leave.

Jd2793
07/11/2022, 11:13 AM
healy deal finally done, hopefully we can motor on now signing much needed reinforcements. massive task ahead of us staying up next year, at least the manager signing back on has been sorted early doors. fingers crossed waterford capitulate in the play offs, wouldnt mind nicking a few lads off them.

placid casual
07/11/2022, 12:33 PM
Will be interesting to see the calibre of playing incoming now for Dundalk, Shepperd has 1+1 deal, so he'll sign, then with Hoban, Kelly, Sloggett, Lewis, O'Kane and possibly Doyle and Mountney all under contract it's a good base to start off with. Would imagine Ward will be extended, same for Leahy prob in a 2 year deal, but we need central defenders. Lewis Macari had an excellent season but he is probably heading back to Stoke City.

I'd imagine Benson will do his usual one year deal, but a good few of the old guard will probably have played their last game in the shape of McMillan, Cherrie, possibly Gartland but he had a great game last night in Derry, Boyle is at end of the last bigger contracts under p6 so he'll need to adjust his earning expectation or leave.

Do you think keeping the bulk of your current squad will get you any closer to winning the title next season, or are you just pinning your hopes on Hoban scoring a load of goals, assuming he stays fit?

oriel
07/11/2022, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't think league title aspirations are realistic for DFC next year, its all about improving and continuing to re-build. SOD has done a great job, joint 2nd and back into Europe in his first season, even taking away the free 3 points from Sligo game, its still 2 clear of Pats.

The ambition will be to retain top 3 and for a period, maybe win a cup, but I would think with the money Rovers have now, and Derry's future budget, overtaking either or both is not a runner at least for the next few years in any case. Who knows what lies ahead though, when we retained the league in late Sept 2019, Covid wasn't even spoken about.

Finances are at least in good shape, no debt and prob euro pot / left over from P6 down to 1m, so that's a solid base, just the ground continues to be the problem for fans.

Buller
07/11/2022, 1:27 PM
I wouldn't think league title aspirations are realistic for DFC next year, its all about improving and continuing to re-build. SOD has done a great job, joint 2nd and back into Europe in his first season, even taking away the free 3 points from Sligo game, its still 2 clear of Pats.

The ambition will be to retain top 3 and for a period, maybe win a cup, but I would think with the money Rovers have now, and Derry's future budget, overtaking either or both is not a runner at least for the next few years in any case. Who knows what lies ahead though, when we retained the league in late Sept 2019, Covid wasn't even spoken about.

Finances are at least in good shape, no debt and prob euro pot / left over from P6 down to 1m, so that's a solid base, just the ground continues to be the problem for fans.

Oh is there currently 1m prizemoney left? Cant remember where I saw it, but when S'OD took over at the start of last season I thought I saw P6 had 300k left over.

Last year European ranking will stick around for so was v important to qualify for Europe this year. Will be seeded for at least the the first 2 rounds I think?