PDA

View Full Version : Andy Reid(b 1982)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

geysir
17/08/2007, 2:56 PM
fit, but not match fit
He (Steven Reid)was expected to play some part in the later games in pre-seaon but didn't make an appearance.
The report was that he picked up another injury which has delayed his return.

Stuttgart88
17/08/2007, 3:05 PM
Have to say I love watching reid play. we should be building our team around him. stick a couple of ball winners in there to help him out. hunt has a great energy and urgency about him but he seems a bit limited. I like Mageady as well. I just like to watch players who can actually play football. I have always been a fan of stephen reid even before he was flavour of the month:rolleyes: but I dont think he has played well for Ireland at all since staunton took over. pity. we have some good players at the moment shouldnt be any excuses for not giving qualifying a good shot. anymore stan morinos and staunton should be shown the door.
As far as I can recall S. Reid has only played CM twice under Stan, once with O'Shea against Sweden where he was decent but not brilliant and once as captain against Holland where the game passed him by completely. He was poor on the RHS in Stuttgart, but he's never been good there for us.

McGeady's a good player alright but his distribution in Slovakia was dreadful, consistently inaccurate with his passing.

They key to both playing well for us is confidence in my opinion. Once each has a really good game for us in his preferred position it could be a turning point. My main worry with Steven Reid is that he's been around since 01/02 and has yet to make an impact, not all his own fault by any means, but when is he going to show - or be given the chance to show - his excellent central midfield club performances? I've always maintained he has everything Gerrard has, except a history of people telling him how good he is and a run of games without injury.

Bobby Robson said we'd be building the team around him in the middle (or something close) and since he said that he's only played there once!

Speaking of Robson, what's the latest?

Wolfie
17/08/2007, 3:10 PM
i think Reid will have a really important role to play for Ireland over the next year.

I still have the sense that there's some unfulfilled potential from Andy Reid.

He has undoubted ability but I'm hoping he really takes an Irish game by the scruff of the neck in the short term and stands centre stage.

He and Robbie Keane appear to be on the same wavelength (ie, Reid's beautifully weighted ball for Keanes goal against Israel in Dublin) and he certainly has the ability to bring other players into the game.

I'm hoping McShane, Hunts and Doyles sense of urgency and commitment inspire him to step up that extra gear I think he has.

NeilMcD
18/08/2007, 11:09 AM
A

McGeady's a good player alright but his distribution in Slovakia was dreadful, consistently inaccurate with his passing.
?

Jesus was I that drunk that I missed the trip.

eirebhoy
18/08/2007, 5:45 PM
Charlton V Stoke tomorrow on Sky 5.15 (i think) so a good chance to see how Andy is playing.
Anyone watching?

"Foul by Ryan Shawcross (Stoke) on Andy Reid (Charlton). Free kick scored by Andy Reid (Charlton) left-footed (bottom-right of goal) from right channel (20 yards).Stoke 0-1 Charlton."

carloz
18/08/2007, 6:09 PM
I watched a bit of the first half and i must say Reid is looking fitter than i have ever seen him. Seems the Health farm helped him

OwlsFan
19/08/2007, 7:37 AM
Saw the game. For 60 minutes Andy looked like his old self again but faded near the end and started giving the ball away. Optimistic though that he's getting back to his old self. It was no coincidence that as Andy faded, Stoke got back in to the game. Delap was fairly anonymous for them but did ok.

FarBeag
19/08/2007, 6:39 PM
He appears to have lost alot of weight or is it my imagination? Played quite well I thought and will only get better as the season progresses.

paul_oshea
19/08/2007, 6:43 PM
played quite well, i love his left foot. perfect passer to the feet, his game deteriorated though as time went on. Think he could have grabbed the game by the scruff of his neck and should have, he would have needed to play further up the field to do this, i felt he was playing to deep at times. the goal was fortunes i beleive in the end. good to see reid again though.

Is that the paddy mccarthy that was with leicester, if so i cant see him playing for charlton again. very very poor performance. both goals directly his fault.

carloz
19/08/2007, 6:48 PM
Yeah thats the same McCarthy.

dr_peepee
19/08/2007, 6:57 PM
For 60 minutes Andy looked like his old self again but faded near the end and started giving the ball away.

Throw in a couple of Paul Scholes tackles in the last 20 minutes and that is his old self in a nutshell. Smashing player though. Hope he gets a move before the Aug 31st. Too good for the Championship.

Soper
19/08/2007, 7:00 PM
Reid seemed to be passing much better. Far sharper all round, hope he can keep it up though, and also recommend he should recommend the health farm to Keith Foy

eirebhoy
19/08/2007, 7:30 PM
Saw the game. For 60 minutes Andy looked like his old self again but faded near the end and started giving the ball away. Optimistic though that he's getting back to his old self. It was no coincidence that as Andy faded, Stoke got back in to the game. Delap was fairly anonymous for them but did ok.
I watched last half hour, after I posted here and he was poor in that time. He lost possession and it led to Stokes' 2nd goal. He hasn't played a lot of 90 minutes recently so hopefully he was just tired by then.

i felt he was playing to deep at times.
I think he'll be a holding midfielder within a few years. Pirlo type.

Stuttgart88
19/08/2007, 8:45 PM
I think he'll be a holding midfielder within a few years. Pirlo type.

oh oh, here we go again...:)

eirebhoy
19/08/2007, 10:33 PM
You'll have to remind me mate. :) If we had a debate about holding midfielders I've forgotten it all. ;)

Stuttgart88
20/08/2007, 7:52 AM
I think we agreed "deep lying playmaker" was the best description of the role you're thinking of! Billsthoughts, KenForee, you and I all had a few things to say.

youngirish
20/08/2007, 9:06 AM
Is that the paddy mccarthy that was with leicester, if so i cant see him playing for charlton again. very very poor performance. both goals directly his fault.
Yeah that's the same Paddy McCarthy that many of the heads on here were claiming deserved to be in the Ireland team only a few months back obviously without ever having seen him kick a ball (or get booked). The usual plonkers hyping him up (the original postings were two years ago so they are understandable but the later ones are not).

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=22596

paul_oshea
20/08/2007, 9:54 AM
ya i think i know those plonkers you are on about. BUt those plonkers namely the more respected members on here, do get it right a lot of time, though i spose if you keep tipping fellas, eventually some of them are going to make it :)

He was really poor though for charlton. No reading of the game, out of position, slow, not agile or quick acceleration, everything that doesnt make a good centre back. BUt thats about only the second time ive seen him play so I cant judge fairly either.

Young one, it would be a duller place round here without you alright.

youngirish
20/08/2007, 10:05 AM
ya i think i know those plonkers you are on about. BUt those plonkers namely the more respected members on here, do get it right a lot of time, though i spose if you keep tipping fellas, eventually some of them are going to make it :)

He was really poor though for charlton. No reading of the game, out of position, slow, not agile or quick acceleration, everything that doesnt make a good centre back. BUt thats about only the second time ive seen him play so I cant judge fairly either.

Young one, it would be a duller place round here without you alright.
I'm not talking about the more respected members such as eirebhoy, stutts, tets and a few others who will remain nameless as I couldn't be bothered to list. They do get it right more often than not. I'm talking about a number of others who hype up muck players based on 1 decent performance obviously having never followed their careers beforehand or watched them play previously and then slate anyone who disagrees with them by throwing some reality into the mix.

As for thinking everyone is crap that's just not true. I think we have a number of good players but unfortunately, lots of average ones and a load who are rubbish also. I try to impartially identify all three and not just hype them all up because they are Irish ignoring any facts that might suggest they are crap.

paul_oshea
20/08/2007, 10:10 AM
As for thinking everyone is crap that's just not true. I think we have a number of good players but unfortunately, lot's of average ones and a load of rubbish also. I try to impartially identify all three and not just hype them up because they are Irish ignoring all other facts.

i never said anything about that.....

eirebhoy
20/08/2007, 9:50 PM
I think we agreed "deep lying playmaker" was the best description of the role you're thinking of! Billsthoughts, KenForee, you and I all had a few things to say.
Ah even Rafa Benitez described Alonso as a holding midfielder. ;) Anyway, deep lying playmaker is a more accurate description but they're still a holding midfielder by my definition. There's the combative type and the playmaking type.

NeilMcD
20/08/2007, 10:33 PM
I'm not talking about the more respected members such as eirebhoy, stutts, tets ause they are Irish ignoring any facts that might suggest they are crap.

Lads your mothers will be proud of you.

tetsujin1979
20/08/2007, 10:41 PM
I've definitely got a case of the warm fuzzies.
Could be the dodgy curry from last night though.

Billsthoughts
20/08/2007, 11:22 PM
go on youngirish.....tell neil he is a respected member of the forum before he starts cryin....:D

youngirish
21/08/2007, 7:41 AM
go on youngirish.....tell neil he is a respected member of the forum before he starts cryin....:D

Nah can't, sure he was following Shamrock Rovers or someone up until about 12 months ago when he suddenly became a diehard Bohs fan.

He also said this about Paddy McCarthy in an earlier thread.

Paddy McCarthy has the potential to be the best defender to come out of this country since Paul McGrath. In fact if he keeps improving at the rate I've seen over the last few years he could even be better than Franz Beckenbauer. He's a similar sort of defender after all. I honestly believe Charlton will go on to win the Champions League within 5 years now after signing him. I love him. Better than Pele.

geysir
21/08/2007, 4:32 PM
Youngirish, do you keep Senator MacCarthy type files on posters to be used at against them when the occasion arises :)

Considering that Paddy Mc is 25 doesn't Neil sounds a bit sarcastic there?

Scram
22/08/2007, 9:57 PM
Very good player IMO, very underrated and arguably our most creative player, still has a lot to offer us. Just hope he stays injury free for a while!

World class, I've always said it.

Wolfie
23/08/2007, 8:26 AM
Has surely played himself into the starting eleven for the Slovaks. Very good performance for that 45 last night.

NeilMcD
23/08/2007, 11:33 AM
Youngirish, do you keep Senator MacCarthy type files on posters to be used at against them when the occasion arises :)

Considering that Paddy Mc is 25 doesn't Neil sounds a bit sarcastic there?

Or maybe I never said it. Also never said I was a diehad bohs fan and I never supported Rovers. Youngirish you do really need to get your facts right when making personal comments about people.

Sligo Hornet
23/08/2007, 11:38 AM
Or maybe I never said it. Also never said I was a diehad bohs fan and I never supported Rovers. Youngirish you do really need to get your facts right when making personal comments about people.

Especially those who are tired and hungover!:D

youngirish
23/08/2007, 11:47 AM
I then apologise NeilMcD. I thought it was fairly obvious you didn't say it though to anyone reading it.

NeilMcD
23/08/2007, 11:49 AM
I agree but cleary Geysir did not read it as such. The dangers of sarcasm I suppose on an internet forum.

paul_oshea
23/08/2007, 11:51 AM
I agree but cleary Geysir did not read it as such. The dangers of sarcasm I suppose on an internet forum.

Ya exactly, I am fierece funny in real-life but that doesnt come across on the forum! . .... !!! ?! :D

Billsthoughts
23/08/2007, 3:21 PM

it was me who used to have the rovers crest...it was a bit of humour based on neils bohs conversion...ya know rivalry and all that...boom boom....is this mike on???? try the chicken.....its lovely....

NeilMcD
23/08/2007, 7:19 PM
Never a conversion Bill, I supported them when I was kid as my Dad used to take me to the games. Could not go when I was living in Clare.

zenokelly
20/12/2007, 3:50 PM
Poor lad, out for 2 months with with a "leg injury".

He won't get a premiership move in January now.

Also out of the Brazil match.:mad:

Wolfie
20/12/2007, 3:52 PM
Poor lad, out for 2 months with with a "leg injury".

He won't get a premiership move in January now.

Also out of the Brazil match.:mad:

Damn Turkey legs!!!!!!!! :(

zenokelly
20/12/2007, 3:58 PM
Charlton are probably f**ked now as I saw bits of their match on Saturday and Reid looked a different class to most of the players on the pitch. There's no way he's a championship player but these injuries are surely just going to keep him from going to the top

eirebhoy
20/12/2007, 4:02 PM
Ah damn. And, yeh, Charlton are screwed without him.

Charlton will be without captain Andy Reid for six to eight weeks due to a knee injury...

Reid, Ambrose, Zheng and Iwelumo all sustained injuries against West Bromwich Albion in the club's 4-2 defeat at The Hawthorns last weekend.

Striker Iwelumo, who has nine goals to his name this season, turned his ankle in the first half and had to be replaced, while midfielders Reid and Ambrose left the field with knee and groin problems respectively.

Further investigation has now shown that Republic of Ireland international Reid, who has provided six goals from the centre of the park this term, has a tear in his medial knee ligament, while Ambrose has failed to recover in time for the weekend following treatment.

beautifulrock
20/12/2007, 7:26 PM
Unlucky for Andy but not a total disaster, should be fully recovered with no side effects within the time period suggested

as_i_say
20/12/2007, 8:24 PM
Agreed-its not like we have anything important coming up soon

Sligo Hornet
21/12/2007, 9:17 AM
Unlucky for Andy but not a total disaster, should be fully recovered with no side effects within the time period suggested

Couldn't agree more.....especially from my biased Watford position;)

dr_peepee
21/12/2007, 10:39 AM
True... But it's just hurdle for him in shaking off his Championship status.. Technically, way too good for the division, definately. But physically, in terms of fitness, injury and stature, it appears he's not up to premiership standard....

I think he's a great player and vital to us, but few premiership managers would take a chance on him at this stage and I'd find it hard not to agree with them.

Ordinary Fan
21/12/2007, 2:17 PM
Pity for him but this injury is different to the strains and pulls he had for the last couple of years. Charlton were patient and made sure he was fully fit before letting him play.

I reckon he will be playing in the premiership before the end of 2008.

eirebhoy
04/01/2008, 1:08 AM
Charlton haven't won any of their 4 games since Reid has been injured. I couldn't see them accepting any bid for him this month if they got it tbh.

Serb
07/01/2008, 12:24 AM
He seems to get injured so much, I'm not sure a Premiership side would take the gamble on him, certainly not a Middlesbrough or Bolton anyway as they would need him all the time for their own survival - and I feel that's kind of his level personally.

elroy
30/01/2008, 4:14 PM
As on skysports.com...unlikely i wouldve thought? Isnt Andy still injured anyways?

Black Cats target Irish international - Daily Mail

Sunderland boss Roy Keane could add to the Irish contingent at the Stadium of Light by making a move for Charlton's Andy Reid. Would Reid be a good signing?

boovidge
30/01/2008, 4:31 PM
i'm suprised more premiership clubs havent been linked with him to be honest. Keane said recently that he's not buying anymore players though.

Noelys Guitar
30/01/2008, 6:38 PM
Reid has signed for Sunderland fee 4mil pounds according to SSN

Rocky77
30/01/2008, 6:38 PM
Keane said recently that he's not buying anymore players though.

I dunno, Kevin O'Connor — Brentford's Irish Right back — could be prized away with a bid of around 17 or 18 million.