PDA

View Full Version : Andy Reid(b 1982)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

OwlsFan
01/11/2010, 2:43 PM
So much for being the saviour of Irish football. Look I'm a big Reid fan but he hasn't produced on any meaningful level since our home match against Israel. He is either out of shape or off the pace and has been for several years now. Trapp may be obstinate but If he can't break into a Sunderland team bereft of both talent and confidence then you have to ask what's going on?

Why should facts like that prevent the RTE Panel beating Trap to death about the Reid issue? Most people like Reid, me included. He hasn't made it at the bigger clubs for some reason.

SkStu
01/11/2010, 7:53 PM
So much for being the saviour of Irish football. Look I'm a big Reid fan but he hasn't produced on any meaningful level since our home match against Israel. He is either out of shape or off the pace and has been for several years now. Trapp may be obstinate but If he can't break into a Sunderland team bereft of both talent and confidence then you have to ask what's going on?

the Reid issue was a valid issue two years ago. Not so much anymore. Still a pity to see as he is such a supremely gifted footballer.

Stuttgart88
01/11/2010, 8:06 PM
Trapp may be obstinate but If he can't break into a Sunderland team bereft of both talent and confidence then you have to ask what's going on?Jordan Henderson is a very good player.

geysir
01/11/2010, 8:15 PM
But can he play guitar?

paul_oshea
01/11/2010, 8:25 PM
Geysir is that you to the right playing the geetar?!

changed spelling so the add would stay beside you.

gastric
09/11/2010, 8:38 AM
Andy has done his hamstring at Sheffield Utd. Not sure if he has now gone back to Sunderland for treatment, but he is certainly an injury prone player.

Fixer82
09/11/2010, 1:23 PM
Jaysus he's worse than Duffer

geysir
09/11/2010, 2:40 PM
Sad news,

here's some light (football related) relief

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hu9pIVZV3M&feature=related

Charlie Darwin
10/11/2010, 7:53 PM
That must be some resilient hamstring. Just set up another Irishman, Mark Yeates, to put Sheffield United 2-1 up at Leicester.

AlaskaFox
10/11/2010, 8:06 PM
Good man Andy. Yeates has two tonight.

gastric
11/11/2010, 11:54 PM
That must be some resilient hamstring. Just set up another Irishman, Mark Yeates, to put Sheffield United 2-1 up at Leicester.

This is the article I referred to in my post about Andy's hamstring. As you indicated it must not be as bad as I first thought!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-united/8117535/Reid-injury-blow-for-Blades.html

SkStu
13/11/2010, 3:15 PM
fat Andy scored today for the Blades.

geysir
13/11/2010, 4:15 PM
He played the full 90minutes

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_a5DrNvEJEWs/TKLG_iWNxxI/AAAAAAAACrs/v0Im3CTMnwo/s320/am_week10_exhausted.jpg

AlaskaFox
13/11/2010, 4:37 PM
fat Andy scored today for the Blades.

Yeates with the assist.

BonnieShels
13/11/2010, 11:54 PM
Just saw the goal on BBC. Very very nicely done.
Some lovely skill to go around the man and go wide and released a thunderbolt of a shot.
Great goal.

dr_peepee
14/11/2010, 7:57 PM
Still carrying a bit of timber though....

BonnieShels
14/11/2010, 10:54 PM
Which says it all. Imagine if he was professional and lost the weight.

irishfan86
31/12/2010, 10:30 PM
Andy Reid suspended for three games after a headbutt....apparently Stephen Quinn got a red card on the same play.

I guess they heard Trap likes combative midfield players...

Sullivinho
01/01/2011, 2:44 AM
Andy Reid suspended for three games after a headbutt....apparently Stephen Quinn got a red card on the same play.

In their defense, the field of play is no place to be telling jokes about Dubs.

tetsujin1979
08/01/2011, 12:31 PM
Reid's loan future at Sheffield United is unclear: http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/Gaffersnotes/0,,10418~2261177,00.html

TrapAPony
08/01/2011, 3:11 PM
Started today for Sunderland on the left wing against Notts County.

EastTerracer
08/01/2011, 3:12 PM
Reid's loan future at Sheffield United is unclear: http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/Gaffersnotes/0,,10418~2261177,00.html

Maybe a little bit clearer now - he started for Sunderland against Notts County today so he's cup-tied now. Hopefully Bruce will keep him if he is fit and ready for the first team. If not, then he would probably be better off with a permanent move to the Championship and regular football.

[Update] TrapAPony just got there before me.

theworm2345
08/01/2011, 3:41 PM
Won a penalty that Bent stuck away

Charlie Darwin
08/01/2011, 4:46 PM
Fair play to Bruce - he said he'd give him a chance and he has. Sounds like he completed 90 minutes too, which is encouraging.

Yard of Pace
08/01/2011, 9:53 PM
He looked good in the brief highlights on ITV. Some great passing, almost scored himself and won a penalty. There was one glorious pass which should really have resulted in a goal. I'd love to see him in an Ireland jersey again, I really would. It's great seeing an Irish player do something on the field that makes you think to yourself "ah, that's just lovely".

Charlie Darwin
08/01/2011, 11:16 PM
I'd love to see him in an Ireland shirt again but it would have to be as a regular in the Sunderland team. He needs an all-round game to play for a country like Ireland and so far he hasn't really shown it (injury has contributed).

TrapAPony
08/01/2011, 11:30 PM
I'd love to see him in an Ireland shirt again but it would have to be as a regular in the Sunderland team. He needs an all-round game to play for a country like Ireland and so far he hasn't really shown it (injury has contributed).

Ya, but in fairness he is still streets ahead of the likes of Paul Green.

Charlie Darwin
08/01/2011, 11:32 PM
In what sense?

Yard of Pace
09/01/2011, 12:03 AM
In what sense?

Ball retention, passing....When Reid gets a good run of games his work-rate seems excellent, he's not just some fat, skilful guy standing in the middle spraying passes around. When he's on form I think what he can do warrants an experimentation of a 5 man midfield. And when he's on form he certainly deserves a chance in the middle anyway. Wasn't there some game against Arsenal a couple of years ago when he absolutely ran in the show in the middle, passing and tackling like nobody's business?

Charlie Darwin
09/01/2011, 12:12 AM
I think people focus on his ball-retention too much. Reid can play that game but he is an essential risk-taker: his instinct is to go for the big pass and necessarily that often ends in failure. To play that way for Ireland, he needs to have the ability to win the ball and I don't think he's done that enough in the past.

The Fly
09/01/2011, 1:43 AM
In what sense?

Common?

SkStu
09/01/2011, 1:47 AM
I think people focus on his ball-retention too much. Reid can play that game but he is an essential risk-taker: his instinct is to go for the big pass and necessarily that often ends in failure. To play that way for Ireland, he needs to have the ability to win the ball and I don't think he's done that enough in the past.

i think thats a lazy analysis of Reid tbh, CD. He mixes his game up very well, in terms of passing, every time i have seen him. Sure, some of his hollywood passes dont come off but its not like that is all he does. He keeps the ball and he keeps it moving. Also, he has spent most of his Ireland career on the wing and has never shirked the defensive duties that this role entails. Treated shabbily by Trapatoni.

The Fly
09/01/2011, 1:51 AM
Treated shabbily by Trapatoni.

If the reason for his snubbing is indeed true, then he only has himself to blame.

SkStu
09/01/2011, 2:08 AM
yeah but i think he deserved a bit of forgiveness and a second chance from il Duce.

Fixer82
09/01/2011, 12:19 PM
If the reason for his snubbing is indeed true, then he only has himself to blame.

What reason is that?

i heard what happened from a very reliable source close to Reid and he certainly was, going by that version of events, blamed for the late-night the players were having. It's also important to note that Reid doesn't drink....I reckon Robbie was the ring leader in the players having the late-night song-song. I could be wrong there but just a hunch

SwanVsDalton
09/01/2011, 3:27 PM
The reason for his initial omission may be a little harsh but Reid's form hasn't begged for a recall. I'd like to see him in the squad but, for the way we play, I'm just not sure of how he fits in on the pitch. Seems Reid might be best employed in a five man midfield, as someone mentioned, and that would entail ripping up a well-drilled system for the sake of one player.

In a 442 I agree with CD - he doesn't have the physicality required (or Trap demands) for our system. And on the left he's competing with Duff, McGeady, Hunt and Fahey (not to mention Treacy and possibly even McCarthy). Granted his natural ability is ace, but with all that competition he'd have to really start turning it on week after week in the Prem to be a slam dunk recall.

SkStu
10/01/2011, 2:18 AM
id like to see him in the squad too but only if he can continue to work hard and nail down regular football and put in good performances. He was one of our best players at the time of his exclusion. Its a damn pity.

Scram
10/01/2011, 9:19 AM
He looked good in the highlights and laid on enough chances for Bent and Co. such that Sunderland should have at least drawn the game. His quality is undeniable. I, no more than any of the detractors on here can judge his fitness or if needs to lose weight...but that won't stop them anway. I'd be amazed if any manager would allow any player to not give maximum effort in terms of training and fitness yet still pick him in the team.

Fixer82
10/01/2011, 10:58 AM
the truth is he doesn't suit Trap's system and he won't be recalled to the squad as long as Trap is there.
It's very similar to the Charlton/Brady situation in the late 80s

Serb
17/01/2011, 2:48 PM
I was reading about Darren Bent's transfer request today in the Guardian and they were at pains to highlight that his dip in form since September has a lot to do with Andy Reid's exclusion from the side at Sunderland:

Although [Darren Bent] has scored 11 times this season, seven of those goals were registered before the end of September. Indeed recent months have seen Bent's form regress alarmingly and Steve Bruce, Sunderland's manager, persistently defends a forward whose personal performance dip has coincided with the out-of-favour Andy Reid's absence from the team. A creative midfielder, Reid had a hand in a high percentage of Bent's impressive 32 goals in 58 league games for Sunderland since leaving Tottenham in a £10m deal.

He is the kind of creative force we're seriously lacking in the squad at the moment, although the age old question of where he would fit in is bound to arise once again.

OwlsFan
17/01/2011, 3:13 PM
Where was he at the weekend? Not in the Blunts line-up or the Black Cats. Injured?

dr_peepee
17/01/2011, 3:19 PM
Where was he at the weekend?

Eddie Rockets!!

Charlie Darwin
17/01/2011, 6:21 PM
He was an unused sub.

paul_oshea
17/01/2011, 6:54 PM
He was an unused sub.

surely he would have been in subway then and not eddie rockets.

an uneaten sub.

Colbert Report
18/01/2011, 4:32 AM
Where was he at the weekend? Not in the Blunts line-up or the Black Cats. Injured?

As stated above, he was an unused substitute for Sunderland on the weekend. His loan must have expired.

gastric
18/01/2011, 8:07 PM
Rumours out there that Steve Cottterill wants to take him to Portsmouth on loan.

elroy
18/01/2011, 9:59 PM
I was reading about Darren Bent's transfer request today in the Guardian and they were at pains to highlight that his dip in form since September has a lot to do with Andy Reid's exclusion from the side at Sunderland:

He is the kind of creative force we're seriously lacking in the squad at the moment, although the age old question of where he would fit in is bound to arise once again.

We really overplay Andys influence as if he was some messiah. He needs to get properly fit, play regularly and consistently well at EPL level until we can even start to exalt him to the level that many do on here. There is no doubting the talent is there.

Junior
19/01/2011, 10:48 AM
We really overplay Andys influence as if he was some messiah. He needs to get properly fit, play regularly and consistently well at EPL level until we can even start to exalt him to the level that many do on here. There is no doubting the talent is there.

I'd agree with that and also think the same is true of Stephen Reid. Both good players, no question but I cant help feeling that they have been given an elevated status purely because they havent featured for one reason or another.

Wolfie
19/01/2011, 12:34 PM

The above is becoming the Andy Reid mantra. All of the above has been said of Reid for years and yet all of the above is still true of Reid - he needs to get properly fit, play regularly and consistently and prove it at EPL level.

Reid aint the answer for us and bar a few cameo performances for us in predominantly nothing games - he's brought little to the party (the guitar being the exception).

Closed Account
19/01/2011, 1:12 PM
he's brought little to the party (the guitar being the exception).
;) The guitar actually belonged to one of the FAI backroom staff. Reid didn't bring one to Germany.