PDA

View Full Version : eircom League in Europe - 2008

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

OneRedArmy
29/08/2008, 9:20 AM
Jeez, the usual few "spoil the buzz" types on here..

Given the constant negative news about the League over the last few months, I can only assume those people are jealous and bitter.

There's no feeling like seeing your team's name come out of the (electronic) hat beside names like Milan, Herthan Berlin etc.

The summer of 2006 and Derry's Euro adventure was the best of my life and I imagine Pats fans feel the same way.

Enjoy it.

gustavo
29/08/2008, 9:21 AM
Once again - depressingly - I've been proved right...

RTE's website this morning has the following listed, in order, as their main "soccer" news:

I hate this bloody country's journos - bunch of arseholes (except soccerc of course ;))
Cúnts

Duggie
29/08/2008, 9:25 AM
:o

To the tune of Pussycat Dolls' modern classic

"Don'tcha wish your striker was Mark Quig-ley!?"

HAHA
i like it - might be a hit :D

Pauro 76
29/08/2008, 9:58 AM
HAHA
i like it - might be a hit :D

That's a fantastic chant!

srfc1928
29/08/2008, 10:05 AM
..and before anyone says it, yes I'm ****ed and have every right to so be.

Tonight was alll about being a fan and the rewards it can sometimes bring.

I'll enjoy the moment, as will many Saints supporters, but remember it with pride when I recall the bad days and buying a penny apple at the Inchicore end before the move to Harolds Cross.

Harpo Joyce, that's something you'll never ever have.

Is that Bill Cullen:D
Congratulations to St Pats, it must be an unbelievable feeling.

Boo_Boy
29/08/2008, 10:32 AM
The draw is live on Eurosport and will be streaming live on the Eurosport website here (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/) from 12pm.

holidaysong
29/08/2008, 10:36 AM
I was at the match last night. It was a great occasion, got nothing but good wishes from anyone who spotted my Dundalk jacket. Well done to St. Pat's! Best of luck in the next round..

Dodge
29/08/2008, 10:40 AM
I was at the match last night. It was a great occasion, got nothing but good wishes from anyone who spotted my Dundalk jacket

If we lost, it'd have been different :p

Straightstory
29/08/2008, 10:41 AM
Great result but thats probably the end now for Pats. They should not get too carried away as we all know Irish sides always fall at the final hurdle.

Shelbourne in Cl 3rd round, Shels in uefa 3rd round, Derry in Uefa 3rd round and Cork in Uefa 3rd round ALL lost. 4 loses from 4. The draw seems very unfair with the way the seeding is done. I think an Irish side will qualify at some stage for the UEFA cup group stages at least but it probably be 1/10 with 9 losers for every success.

Back to earth for Pats; this time 3 weeks they will probably be out of Europe like every other Irish side have done at this stage before :(

Thanks for bringing everybody back down to earth. Now we can all return to wearing sackcloth and ashes. (There's always one...)

paul_oshea
29/08/2008, 10:44 AM
:o

To the tune of Pussycat Dolls' modern classic

"Don'tcha wish your striker was Mark Quig-ley!?"

wouldn't have had you down as a pussycat dolls fan dodge :D

Well done to st pats, great result, great that ye came from behind twice both home and away shows a change in Irish teams that they now have the belief, determination, experience and resolve to do it. Hopefully ye get a reasonable draw now and go one step further, where ye could meet milan anyway!!

KianD
29/08/2008, 10:45 AM
GREAT night!
may be slightly drunk now

You were "slightly" drunk when I left McDowells at 10:40!

gspain
29/08/2008, 10:45 AM
deleted

paul_oshea
29/08/2008, 10:46 AM
Jeez, the usual few "spoil the buzz" types on here..

Given the constant negative news about the League over the last few months, I can only assume those people are jealous and bitter.

There's no feeling like seeing your team's name come out of the (electronic) hat beside names like Milan, Herthan Berlin etc.

The summer of 2006 and Derry's Euro adventure was the best of my life and I imagine Pats fans feel the same way.

Enjoy it.

your team came out against them?! jees i thougth it was "only" PSG :P

gspain
29/08/2008, 10:47 AM
ignore last post - thought the groups lined up i nthe live draw were already done.

CuanaD
29/08/2008, 11:13 AM
They've just got Hertha in the next round - away leg first

gufcfan
29/08/2008, 11:48 AM
I see the IF Ellsborg site's report on the game acknowledges that Pat's were the better team over the 2 legs and deserved to go through.

Perhaps the Scandanavian arrogance has been quelled?

"With five minutes left they were heading to the next round. When the match was over Elfsborg were out of the Uefa Cup." (Dodgy translation)

gufcfan
29/08/2008, 11:50 AM
I hate this bloody country's journos - bunch of arseholes (except soccerc of course ;))

Ah now, I don't know... :D

Torn-Ado
29/08/2008, 1:48 PM
Wheres that "Torn-Ado" lad? Always goes missing when LOI teams knock out Swedish sides. S'pose we'll see him on here next year, singing Swedish footballs praises, should an Irish side draw one. :p

Eh? What you talkin about? I'm completely delighted to see St Pats through to the next round. I always support LOI against Swedes. They've just surpassed my expectations, thats all.

Fair play to St Pats. I've always believed in ye lads. :D

BTW I've read a couple of local papers here and they were extremely impressed with St Pats over the tie. Best of luck in Berlin lads.

CuanaD
29/08/2008, 2:37 PM
You were "slightly" drunk when I left McDowells at 10:40!
Ah, well I got home around 1.30, so probably was more than slightly! ;)

Just remember to leave that car at home for the Hertha game

superfrank
29/08/2008, 2:51 PM
XhC4nHA3GLg

Dodge
29/08/2008, 2:59 PM
The roar when Quigley rounded the keeper will live with me forever. I didn't even see him tap it in. As soon as went around him, Barry Ryan ran screaming towards us, and pats players were off celebrating every where

As a friend put it last night, it makes all those ****ty 1-0 defeats in the rain bearable

paul_oshea
29/08/2008, 4:00 PM
The roar when Quigley rounded the keeper will live with me forever. I didn't even see him tap it in. As soon as went around him, Barry Ryan ran screaming towards us, and pats players were off celebrating every where

As a friend put it last night, it makes all those ****ty 1-0 defeats in the rain bearable

the atmosphere sounded unreal, but for a game of this measure, having cork and derry beating probably more well known swedish teams, why was there such jubilation and excitement, is it more to do with reaching the 1st round proper?

In a way it just reminds me of local clubs at home who once they win the local championship/cup or do the double, thats it, and lets get boozed up and forget about everything. That should be a stepping stone. NOt having a go at all by the way.

OneRedArmy
29/08/2008, 4:04 PM
the atmosphere sounded unreal, but for a game of this measure, having cork and derry beating probably more well known swedish teams, why was there such jubilation and excitement, is it more to do with reaching the 1st round proper?

In a way it just reminds me of local clubs at home who once they win the local championship/cup or do the double, thats it, and lets get boozed up and forget about everything. That should be a stepping stone. NOt having a go at all by the way.Paul, you wouldn't understand.

BohDiddley
29/08/2008, 4:07 PM
A bit late here, but well done to Pat's, even Dodge.

Bohemian1890
29/08/2008, 4:08 PM
Paul, you wouldn't understand.

Very true.

bennocelt
29/08/2008, 5:21 PM
Thanks for the vid Superfrank
jeez the noise that 3000 or more can make, who needs 50,000 all seaters stadiiums:)

mattl
29/08/2008, 5:25 PM
So what are we thinking predictions wise??

I wasn't sure so I went and looked them up - and to be honest they're not as impressive as you may think! They only finished 10th in the German League and qualified via the Uefa Fair Play Cup :rolleyes:. So this is hardly AC Milan Quality guys..

They've been playing this year since the 1st Qualifier like Pats and have in fairness recorded an 8-1 win over a Moldovan team (but drew 0-0 away to them) and a 3-0 win over a Slovenian team.

It's great that the away leg for Pats is first because if they can keep the tie at a draw or even close, it leaves the possibility open of going through like with Elfsborg. And even if they do get hammered away, Pats should have real motivation to go and get at least a draw (and Bertha may not be too bothered by that stage), which would be the worth the same points as a win in terms of the co-efficient, and another 1 club point to Pat's individiual co-efficient.

This would guarantee seeding for them in the 1st Qualifier of the Uefa Cup next year and possibly even seeding in the 2nd Qualifier depending on how the new format pans out. So great motivation either way!

A draw in either leg is definitely do-able and going through is really not that unbelieveable. Look at Celtic and Artmedia a few years ago. This isn't AC Milan or Valencia - it's a team that came 10th in the German league and qualified via the Fairplay Cup, with no serious European histroy behind them! :)

A face
29/08/2008, 5:26 PM
A bit late here, but well done to Pat's, even Dodge.

Was Dodge playing as well yeah? :eek::p

Flawless
29/08/2008, 5:32 PM
Its very doable for pats, but they have to watch out for Marko Pantelic up front, and the goalkeeper Drobny isnt too bad either!

They Also got that guy Simunic who Graham Poll showed three yellow cards to!

Bohemian1890
29/08/2008, 5:42 PM
Pats should be looking to go out there and come back with a good result,just like Bohs did when they beat Kaiserslautern:p

Martinho II
29/08/2008, 5:42 PM
what do ye think pats chances will be against hertha berlin anyone??

SkStu
29/08/2008, 5:57 PM
ive noticed Dodge is writing off the Pats' chances in the next round - and as a Bohs fan i understand where he is coming from, but, you know what, i hope and expect that everyone at the club will approach this game with the full intention of a win and not just to maximise the profit from the tie.

chances of progressing - slim
chances of a win - pretty good.

i expect a similar tie to Bohs v. Kaiserslautern...

elroy
29/08/2008, 6:06 PM
Has the German league only just started?? May not be up to 100% yet, also they may very well underestimate Pats and that can only be to Pats advantage, heres hoping.

gufcfan
29/08/2008, 6:56 PM
Thanks for the video superfrank.

And Torn-Ado, I've just been havin a look at the Swedish papers aswel.

"Cruel end for Elfsborg in Ireland" was my favorite headline, from the local rag in Borås.:D

One of their players Emir Bajrami said after the match, "I do not know what I'm going to say. I have no words..."

Well done Pat's [I've said it about 10 times now...]

amaccann
29/08/2008, 7:06 PM
They and Spartak Moscow seemed like the best bets for Pats to get through. They're strong - the German league is a superior league, whatever way you spin it - but they are hardly giants & are there for the taking if the attitude and execution is right. Playing the away leg first is a good idea even if I understand that it wasn't by choice.

Another score draw for the first leg, and then it'll be Russian Roulette what happens in the home leg.

Dodge
29/08/2008, 7:10 PM
its about winning a game paul. If you went to more than ROI internationals, you might understand. Cork and Derry's achievements were terrific for them, but do you honestly think anyone in Richmond last night gave either club a second thought last night? If we were losing 1-0 to any team and come back to win 2-1 there'd have been bedlam, never mind a victory to adnvance to our third round.

In a way it just reminds me of local clubs at home who once they win the local championship/cup or do the double, thats it, and lets get boozed up and forget about everything. That should be a stepping stone. NOt having a go at all by the way.
You are having a go, in your usual snide little way. Our players didn't get carried away last night. They acted like the professionals they did. The fans celebrated a great victory, just like all regular football fans do

Dodge
29/08/2008, 7:12 PM
ive noticed Dodge is writing off the Pats' chances in the next round - and as a Bohs fan i understand where he is coming from, but, you know what, i hope and expect that everyone at the club will approach this game with the full intention of a win and not just to maximise the profit from the tie.

The management definitely don't think last night was the end.

I'm not writing our chances off. I just know we're up against it.

don ramo
29/08/2008, 7:12 PM
would be sweet if they beat them, theyll be playing past the end of season if they do, which would be great,

best of luck lads

Dodge
29/08/2008, 7:13 PM
Pats should be looking to go out there and come back with a good result,just like Bohs did when they beat Kaiserslautern:p

Maybe we'll win the dead rubber in our tie ;)

celticV3
29/08/2008, 7:35 PM
If they can get a draw in germany i wouldn't bet against them. Them finishing tenth in the bundesliga doens't rule them out as being a quality team. But if Pats can get a draw in germany i could see them going through, regardless best of luck to pats and if i can il be there supporting them on the night.

kingdomkerry
29/08/2008, 9:15 PM
If they get through to the group stages how much money are we talking about?

Dodge
29/08/2008, 9:40 PM
Even to amybe pay off Michael Keane and Joe Ndo

amaccann
29/08/2008, 11:01 PM
If they get through to the group stages how much money are we talking about?
If it's anything like the easy 5 million (if I recall) just for participating in the group states of the CL, then St Pats could be set for the next 10 years.

mattl
29/08/2008, 11:21 PM
Prize Money For Champions League and Uefa Cup

This varies but the latest stats I saw were for 2007.

Champions League Qualifiers
€100,000 Per Round - Drogs will get 200K
From what I read as well there's also a bonus for non-qualifying champions of €160,000 as well. So Drogs may get 360K!

If Drogs had made the Group Stages, they would have gotten an additional 100K for the Third Round + 2 Million just for Qualifying and 400K Per Match. With Six Group Matches that would be a minimum of 2.4 Million.

Therefore Total For Getting to Group Stages = 4.7 Million :eek:
That's not including a possible 600K for each win and 300K for each draw in the actual group stages extra. So huge money here.. And huge money from TV Revenue, Crowd Attendances (think of Croke Park/Lansdowne full houses..)

Uefa Cup
€70,000 Per Round - Cork get 70K and Pats get 210K
In 2007 there was a surplus from CL. If this happens again, Pats will get another 100K for making the 1st Round, so total could be 310K

If Pats get through the Group Stages, they'll get 70K again but will only get additional revenue of 40K per win and 20K per draw.

Therefore total Pats could make without a win in the actual group stages but by getting there is 390K (:mad: in comparison to CL!). But once again they'll get money from TV Revenue and Crowd Attendances, but nothing like the CL.

Intertoto Cup

Nothing major here as expected. 50K Per Round. So Max is 150K over 3 rounds, then money from Uefa Cup. Bohs will make 100K, which more than Cork though it must be said!

--------------------------------------

With the new format though next year for Uefa Cup (only four teams per group and I think they now play home and away which is more fair), I think the revenue for the competition will go up. Uefa certainly seem keen to increase the popularity and marketing of the competition.

If anyone has any 2008 figures please post! :)

You can find the 2007 stats in full here: http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/everton-forum/3802-uefa-prize-money.html

Boh_So_Good
30/08/2008, 12:26 AM
on all levels it's a dream draw for Pats if you want to strike a balance between revenue and winnable-ity. Pat's do have a chance - the main thing in their favour is that unlike Elfs, Herta won't be as relaxed.

Having said that, I would say Pat's have about 50/50 chance of making it into the group stages. Would be incredible as for sheer entertainment purposes I would love to see the anti-LOI faction in the media implode with rage and frustration.

Good luck Pats.

Boh_So_Good
30/08/2008, 12:29 AM
Therefore total Pats could make without a win in the actual group stages but by getting there is 390K (:mad: in comparison to CL!). But once again they'll get money from TV Revenue and Crowd Attendances, but nothing like the CL.

If they made the groups stages and drew a British club they would make double that from the TV alone.

Mind you, when Bohs win the League they'll still be the second best team in Ireland regardless of how they do in Europe. In Darwinian terms Pat's would be a Mutation while Bohs are a result of Natural Selection. "Survival of the Fittest" and all that.

Rovers fan
30/08/2008, 1:51 AM
Having said that, I would say Pat's have about 50/50 chance of making it into the group stages

Please tell me your either taking the pi** or very drunk?:eek:

dfx-
30/08/2008, 2:21 AM
Pats I'm sure will be looking to keep the games competitive for a start, then bother about hypothetical draws..

johnny b
30/08/2008, 7:47 AM
If we manage to get a score draw or lose by the odd goal in 3 over there I'd be happy and hopeful of going through. Did anyone take Paddy Power up on his 10-1 odds of any LOI team getting to group stages in the next 5 years?

CuanaD
30/08/2008, 7:57 AM
Please tell me your either taking the pi** or very drunk?:eek:
Why?
2 teams = 50/50 :rolleyes:

But i'd call it about 60/40 against Pats - not bad odds really (that's just going on both team's UEFA results so far)

Would be incredible as for sheer entertainment purposes I would love to see the anti-LOI faction in the media implode with rage and frustration.
Yep, me too :D
& it's going to happen soon - possibly/hopefully now with Pats, but if not it'll have to happen in the next couple of seasons - this IS the FIFTH time in the last 5 seasons that an eL team has got to this stage - 1 game from European group stages