PDA

View Full Version : eircom League in Europe - 2008

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23

Greenforever
28/08/2008, 10:50 PM
Congrats Pats, hope they get a good draw tomorrow.

HarpoJoyce
28/08/2008, 10:52 PM
Madam

I'm still waiting for you to reply to me

Post #182 this other quote is about football, right? I saw that Drogs game too.

Forgot to ad the Elfsborg scout who came to watch Saints lose at home to Drogs before the first leg and reported home to Swedish media how happy he was after what he saw, and Pats reminded him of a team playing football 15 years ago.

We played them off the park tonight, and our 2nd goal in Sweden was quick passing from our box to thier goal.
They should revue their scouts contract :D

:D Upset?
Well you're funny if nothing else. I'll give you that.
You've been told what was said, you can go look for yourself or choose to believe that everyone's making it up just to annoy you. Lets be honest, either way no one really cares.
And it's spelled desist.
Thanks for the reply.

My good lady, the swedes over the years have shown a level of sheer arrogance before their games. I can go pull quotes if you really want but I am far too tired to waste my time. With a rare exception they have had them truely shoved right back down their throats.

St. Pats got called on it. It upset some people that there were asked to explain. I believe I met you before, take care, sleep tight.

Hibs4Ever
28/08/2008, 10:58 PM
Post #182 this other quote is about football, right? I saw that Drogs game too.

:confused:

saintmaniac
28/08/2008, 11:04 PM
Ticket to match €10
Programme €2
Being told by a foot.ie member that he's jealous you get to experience such a victory as a Pats fan - priceless :D

Sorry, I should say the victory is priceless, the pride I have in my club after 12 years of supporting them has never been greater, the atmosphere in the main stand was the greatest I've ever experienced... but there's clearly an anti-Pats, pro-Swedish, pedantic agenda that's sabotaging this thread, so I'll save my valuable reflections for the chosen people, the Pats faithful at large.*

* This may or may not have been an exercise in arrogance. I shall sit back and see some of you earnestly fight it out :p

NeilMcD
28/08/2008, 11:20 PM
Fair play to Pats. Great night at Richmond and I really enjoyed the game. The first have had some great football. I thought Pats got nervous in the 2nd half and let the swedish team come on to them and they got punished for it. They they chased the game and got the goal they deserved and Quigleys goal was the icing on the cake.

Great atmosphere and a great night for Irish football and great value at 10 euro.

finnpark
29/08/2008, 12:00 AM
Pats will play one of these seeded teams as teams put into pools to prevent teams from same country playing each other.

AC Milan
Besiktas Istanbul
Spartak Moscow
Hertha BSC
Partizan Belgrade

For feck sake, Pats have no chance against any of those teams. :(

Would hate to get Partizan, that would be a bad draw. In fact all of these are a nightmare!

Hibs4Ever
29/08/2008, 12:02 AM
For feck sake, Pats have no chance against any of those teams. :(

Would hate to get Partizan, that would be a bad draw. In fact all of these are a nightmare!

Would love to get AC Milan. Going to watch the Saints play a competitive game at the San Siro! Class

osarusan
29/08/2008, 12:04 AM
:ball:Well done Pats, a great result for you:ball:

Because of the time difference, I always wake up to find these kinds of threads; 'Tonight's Latest' and so on, which hadn't even started before I went to bed, and are 8/9/10 pages long when I wake up. It's always fun to read through them 'as live' and see things developing. Going a goal down, equalizing, getting the late winner, HarpoJoyce going off on a ridiculous tangent, all fantastic stuff at 9 in the morning.

finnpark
29/08/2008, 12:08 AM
Great result but thats probably the end now for Pats. They should not get too carried away as we all know Irish sides always fall at the final hurdle.

Shelbourne in Cl 3rd round, Shels in uefa 3rd round, Derry in Uefa 3rd round and Cork in Uefa 3rd round ALL lost. 4 loses from 4. The draw seems very unfair with the way the seeding is done. I think an Irish side will qualify at some stage for the UEFA cup group stages at least but it probably be 1/10 with 9 losers for every success.

Back to earth for Pats; this time 3 weeks they will probably be out of Europe like every other Irish side have done at this stage before :(

thischarmingman
29/08/2008, 12:13 AM
Great result but thats probably the end now for Pats. They should not get too carried away as we all know Irish sides always fall at the final hurdle...

Back to earth for Pats; this time 3 weeks they will probably be out of Europe like every other Irish side have done at this stage before :(

That may be the way you think up in Ballybofey (it would go some way to explaining your league position) but the rest of us shall use the rare occasion of some good news to continue dreaming, at least for another while. Save the bearer of bad news turn for the Brandywell. ;)

TheSaint2002
29/08/2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks to all fans for their comments tonight bar one dodegy UCD fan the sweeds were nothing but ararrogant I was over there they thought we were rubbish but we stuffed them in the end so ha ha and cheerio to elfsborg bring on the next round I for one want a beatable team then the big guns in the group stages.

gufcfan
29/08/2008, 12:19 AM
Any video of the goals anywhere?

Well done Pat's!

finnpark
29/08/2008, 12:21 AM
Would love to get AC Milan. Going to watch the Saints play a competitive game at the San Siro! Class

If St Pats could beat AC Milan over 2 legs then even I would buy a Pats jersey :D

A result like that would shock the football world in this country

dcfc_dee
29/08/2008, 12:23 AM
Well Done Pats hope you get the draw you deserve you have done the league proud tonight

TheFingallian
29/08/2008, 12:24 AM
Great result but thats probably the end now for Pats. They should not get too carried away as we all know Irish sides always fall at the final hurdle.

Shelbourne in Cl 3rd round, Shels in uefa 3rd round, Derry in Uefa 3rd round and Cork in Uefa 3rd round ALL lost. 4 loses from 4. The draw seems very unfair with the way the seeding is done. I think an Irish side will qualify at some stage for the UEFA cup group stages at least but it probably be 1/10 with 9 losers for every success.

Final hurdle? They just went over it. This is the UEFA Cup proper now. First round!

finnpark
29/08/2008, 12:24 AM
That may be the way you think up in Ballybofey (it would go some way to explaining your league position) but the rest of us shall use the rare occasion of some good news to continue dreaming, at least for another while. Save the bearer of bad news turn for the Brandywell. ;)

Ye, we can't beat you lot there because we both play the same way but you lot always have a better team. Harps not to win against Derry must be the surest bet in football :D

cheifo
29/08/2008, 12:36 AM
Highlights on News2.Atmosphere looked great, the place seemed to be rocking.
Wonder was Kelleher there?Must have felt proud and who would begrudge him it?

CuanaD
29/08/2008, 12:52 AM
GREAT night!
may be slightly drunk now

kdjaC
29/08/2008, 12:53 AM
copy paste:

we shat on them for 3 halfs of 4 halfed tie.

1st half away they took control got 2 goals one gifted to them by the ref other gifted to them by our defence. 2nd half over there was possible the best performance i have ever seen by a Pats side...until tonight.

1st half tonight we "standard lieged" them had all the ball and all the chances but no goals to show for it, 2nd half they came at us and pinned us back for about 15 minutes and got a lucky break and took their chance. i assumed that was that we didnt take our chances and they took their one.

Last 30 minutes tonight ...words cant describe how ****ing good we were we ****ing raped them and 2-1 flattered them.

We earned our right to be in the next round and please god put your St Pats pajamas on and give us AC Milan please.

Can only get AC, Spartak Moscow, Beskitas, Hertha berlin or partizan Belgrade.

We have a coeff of 2.1ish AC have 120.

We are the lowest ranked team ever to play in UEFA 1st round.

Oh when the saints!

kdjac

BillyG
29/08/2008, 12:53 AM
Great night to be Pats fan :) to all other fans....thanks for the support and good wishes. To the begrudgers....Get over yourselves!!!!!!!!!!

Roll on Milan :)

Carlin
29/08/2008, 12:58 AM
Through gritted teeth, fair play junkies;). A hell of a result....

CuanaD
29/08/2008, 12:59 AM
Pats will play one of these seeded teams as teams put into pools to prevent teams from same country playing each other.

AC Milan
Besiktas Istanbul
Spartak Moscow
Hertha BSC
Partizan Belgrade
Give us Spartak then - show everyone what Drogs could have done to them too!
(great night tonight! as good as the Hajak Split night in Tolka a few years ago, such a great feeling to watch an Irish team look so impressive against quality opposition:ball:

A face
29/08/2008, 1:01 AM
We earned our right to be in the next round and please god put your St Pats pajamas on and give us AC Milan please.

Can only get AC, Spartak Moscow, Beskitas, Hertha berlin or partizan Belgrade.

We have a coeff of 2.1ish AC have 120.

We are the lowest ranked team ever to play in UEFA 1st round.

No way, stay miles away from them and go through to the next round. Whoever is the easiest in the next round go for them.

kdjaC
29/08/2008, 1:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhC4nHA3GLg

goals thansk to meedja team

kdjac

kdjaC
29/08/2008, 1:12 AM
No way, stay miles away from them and go through to the next round. Whoever is the easiest in the next round go for them.

who is easiest out of that group? we fu....buggered either way may as well go out with a top tie.

kdjac

Candystripe
29/08/2008, 1:12 AM
Brilliant result. I was listening to newstalk when they went live to the ground to report the goal and I punched the air, they then went straight back and the guy was going absolutley mental whan Quiqley scored the winner. He said 2-0 to the saints and the noise was amazing.

I think Spartak Moscow would be a winnable tie and AC Milan would be the dream tie.

BTW Derry drew with Spartak 1-1 last season in Portugal in pre-season with Spartak scoring a last minute equalizer.

Harpojoyce as for the wee thing about the Sweede's arogance, the Gotebourg captain Alexanderson before the tie with us said he was looking forward to coming to Derry as it would be a wee holiday for them. I would call that arrogant.would you not?

Well done Pats......you's done the LOI proud tonight.

Candystripe
29/08/2008, 1:22 AM
Is it just me (as a Derry fan) or does it seem like some Harps fans are being a little begrudging towards Pats brilliant resultand their prospects in the next round?

BTW I've posted this before the draw.

kdjaC
29/08/2008, 1:22 AM
Harpojoyce as for the wee thing about the Sweede's arogance, the Gotebourg captain Alexanderson before the tie with us said he was looking forward to coming to Derry as it would be a wee holiday for them. I would call that arrogant.would you not?

Well done Pats......you's done the LOI proud tonight.

Their fans showed us their team sheet for the 1st round proper before the game.

only get banned if i post what i think about that :D

kdjac

Dodge
29/08/2008, 1:23 AM
I'm disgustingly drunk.

I deserve to be too.

Magic moments. I've gotten all I wanted out of europe.

**** the media and their negativity. They'll never feel how i felt tonight.

SkStu
29/08/2008, 1:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhC4nHA3GLg

goals thansk to meedja team

kdjac

that is some f*ckin atmosphere. How can people not want to go see that for e10?

great sight to see.

soccerc
29/08/2008, 1:35 AM
Aparently there could be a problem with finding a venue to play the 1st Leg if Pats are drawn at home first

Typical Margarine Kid, there is no problem:D

Thankfully it won't be Dalymoan :p

Bohemian1890
29/08/2008, 2:37 AM
Before the first goal is scored when the ball goes out for a corner the junkies go wild must have a relapse :p

Typical Cool Kid, there is no problem:D

Thankfully it won't be Dalymount

Wouldn't say you will be playing in Dalyer as we will still be celebrating the league title win there:cool:

soccerc
29/08/2008, 2:48 AM
I read Pat's fans accusing IF Elfsborg of arrogance on the day the draw was made, I wonder was it just confidence of winning the tie that the Swedes expressed. Tell us how Elsborg (fans? Club?) were arrogant? Please be aware the Swedish were leading at two different times in the tie.

Was at the game tonight, I'm glad you were able to play at Richmond Park and the ramped publicity was rewarded by the result. Coming back after being behind twice is impressive. Well Done.

Arsehole, no, we had someone who is very close to Swedish football who was in a position to give a thorough and unbiased view.

Both the club and their fans expressed a view that they were more worthy than a lowly british isles club who played football as it was 15 years ago,

Be gracious in victory was always my tenet but you take the proverbial biscuit.

Arsehole

charliesboots
29/08/2008, 3:16 AM
That doesn't sound arrogant to me.

Planning in the short-term, IF Elfsborg was given as the best draw St. Pat's could have played because of their (IFE) football standing. Same, same. You need to continue to develop your thick skin if a stepover insults you when you are two-nil down.
The word 'arrogance' was used to describe them on the day of the draw. It is clear is was chosen early by St.Pat's fans, to drop it, may be a sign of error.

I know this has been replied to already but I'm very drunk and still enbelievably ecstatic.

Shove your head up your arse if you want Harpo Joyve but stop being a latte ****** on a football forum. Definituons of words are not welcome!

What a night oh what a night............

soccerc
29/08/2008, 3:23 AM
I know this has been replied to already but I'm very drunk and still enbelievably ecstatic.

Shove your head up your arse if you want Harpo Joyve but stop being a latte ****** on a football forum. Definituons of words are not welcome!

What a night oh what a night............

I heard someone say they had Georgia on my Mainz though I was humming "The Saints are coming"..............................

FYI, I believe harpic boyce, the gobsheen, doesn't drink latte's but rather sour milk

soccerc
29/08/2008, 3:31 AM
I heard someone say they had Georgia on my Mainz though I was humming "The Saints are coming"..............................

FYI, I believe harpic boyce, the gobsheen, doesn't drink latte's but rather sour milk
..and before anyone says it, yes I'm ****ed and have every right to so be.

Tonight was alll about being a fan and the rewards it can sometimes bring.

I'll enjoy the moment, as will many Saints supporters, but remember it with pride when I recall the bad days and buying a penny apple at the Inchicore end before the move to Harolds Cross.

Harpo Joyce, that's something you'll never ever have.

don ramo
29/08/2008, 3:51 AM
congrats lads, ye done the league proud, i said earlier in the season that i was happy ye quailfied for the EUFA rather than the CL, as i think the CL is a bit out of reach for irish clubs, but EUFA is within reach which was proven tonight, i know its bad to say, but i was happy ye didnt win the league last year, but i am, and the league was represented better by ya rather than drogs, as this year your squad is so much better to advance in the EUFA cup,

congrats hope ye get an easy draw and advance further, doesnt matter who ya get, its a money maker

ciaraa
29/08/2008, 4:39 AM
congrats lads, ye done the league proud, i said earlier in the season that i was happy ye quailfied for the EUFA rather than the CL, as i think the CL is a bit out of reach for irish clubs, but EUFA is within reach which was proven tonight, i know its bad to say, but i was happy ye didnt win the league last year, but i am, and the league was represented better by ya rather than drogs, as this year your squad is so much better to advance in the EUFA cup,

congrats hope ye get an easy draw and advance further, doesnt matter who ya get, its a money maker

I thought the drogs did quite well actually don?!? but I kinda know what you mean...
well done pats.
also please everyone relax at harpojoyce - its a discussion board like. he/she hardly said anything to warrent the abuse being served.

headtheball
29/08/2008, 7:07 AM
Well done St Pats. Done the league proud.

Eircom league teams have the measure of these Swedish teams. Long may it continue.:D

gspain
29/08/2008, 8:15 AM
Even a draw in one leg of the next round will give Pats a club coefficient for the next 5 years. This is really valuable and can mean seeding in rounds where other EL clubs are not seeded.

Milan would be a fantastic draw. Hertha would also be a big tv payday. However some of the others are beatable.

Fingers crossed and well done again. It was a fantastic night to be there as a Limerick fan. I can only imagine how much it meant to the Pats fans.

You deserve your big payday but maybe wait another few weeks for the group stages.

amaccann
29/08/2008, 8:17 AM
Congrats Pats - a well deserved success after a number of less-than-proud moments in Europe. I'm happy for you and my Dad's old club he followed in college :D

The only sad moment is that it wasn't on RTE, so that maybe a few more people could have been converted to the cause. RTE always choose the glorious losses :)

mandrake
29/08/2008, 8:26 AM
well done pats...ex drog scores first one....delighted, hope they can play next game in dublin cos i read somewhere that they might have to use rds and its ready for rugby that weekend or something

lofty9
29/08/2008, 8:45 AM
Great to read some of Pat's ****ed fans comments! Hope you have a sore head :D

Is the draw today? I remember the craic we had trying to organise travel straight after the draw for Paris, especially the will we or wont we be playing at home first malarkey, with the internet on, multiple tabs open, credit cards at the ready, friends and family on the phone. Aahhh the memories. Enjoy it lads. Milan would be the tie I would want.

Ozymandias
29/08/2008, 8:48 AM
great result last night and overall...bit of good news for the league...hope ye get a decent draw that gives a chance to progress..motherwell etc

Dodge
29/08/2008, 8:55 AM
We can ony get one of these 5

AC Milan (ITA)
Beşiktaş JK (TUR)
FC Spartak Moskva (RUS)
Hertha BSC Berlin (GER)
FK Partizan (SRB)

geysir
29/08/2008, 9:01 AM
I heard it on the radio, sounded great but I couldn't make out the commentary in the last 5 minutes, there was just a loud noise coming through.

A few hangovers this morning:D

Local Swedish report says that Pats tactics were unexpected,
the first 20 minutes was a dramatic reversal of their away tactics.
Paid credit to " the great Mark Quigley ruled"
and Pats backed by 3k noisy enthusiastic fans.

passinginterest
29/08/2008, 9:09 AM
Delighted for all the Pat's fans. Great result for every League of Ireland supporter. Caught the end on the radio after training and it sounded incredible, I think it was Eoin Hand on the radio that compared it to the roar in Dalymount when Ireland beat France. Would have loved to be there, stupid training getting in the way.

Outside of AC Milan Pat's should be at least competitive against the teams in that section. I'm sure if you asked the players they'd want Milan though, would be some experience walking out in the San Siro to face Kaka and co.

Dodge
29/08/2008, 9:15 AM
A few hangovers this morning:D

:o

" the great Mark Quigley ruled"

To the tune of Pussycat Dolls' modern classic

"Don'tcha wish your striker was Mark Quig-ley!?"

Réiteoir
29/08/2008, 9:18 AM
What are the odds on the main eL related story in the press tomorrow being all about the Cork deduction?

Once again - depressingly - I've been proved right...

RTE's website this morning has the following listed, in order, as their main "soccer" news:

Cork City docked 10 points (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0829/corkcity.html)

(08:07) The Independent Club Licensing committee of the FAI have deducted 10 points from Cork City for being involved in an examinership process.

Eircom League of Ireland previews (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0829/eircom_previews.html) (09:29)
Manchester United -v- Zenit St Petersberg (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0829/manunited_zenit.html) (08:46)
St Patrick's Athletic 2-1 IF Elfsborg (Agg: 4-3) (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0828/stpat_ifelfsborg.html) (28 Aug)

I hate this bloody country's journos - bunch of arseholes (except soccerc of course ;))

Réiteoir
29/08/2008, 9:19 AM
We can ony get one of these 5

AC Milan (ITA)
Beşiktaş JK (TUR)
FC Spartak Moskva (RUS)
Hertha BSC Berlin (GER)
FK Partizan (SRB)

Dammit - was hoping (selfishly) for Aston Villa - so I could go 20 miles up the road to watch the away leg at Villa Park... :D