PDA

View Full Version : Player eligibility row

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

DannyInvincible
04/04/2010, 6:58 AM
Surely not: merely being born in Ireland, then applying for an Irish passport doesn't guarantee that you'll ever get one, let alone have its status backdated to birth. Remember, you (plural) voted by an overwhelming majority in 2004 not to give automatic citizenship to everyone born in Ireland. Effectively all your (personal) statement quoted above is saying is 'if you prove you're an Irish citizen by being one then you can er, be one'. It's a bit vague, not to mention restrictive.

I'm aware of what I overlooked. Admittedly, that was careless of me. I should have said:

"The legislation specifies that a person born on the island of Ireland to an Irish national will be deemed an Irish citizen from birth if they perform an act that only an Irish person may carry out at any point during their life. I imagine this amounts to doing something like applying for an Irish passport."

Thankfully, pedantry is alive and well to keep me straight. :P

More to the point, however; we both know that that constitutional amendment doesn't really matter a huge deal within the current debate. It was raised a couple of pages ago as well for some reason. I don't really know why.

SkStu
04/04/2010, 4:05 PM
Yeah right, like the Brits give passports to everyone who wants them......

talk to Mossad...

DannyInvincible
04/04/2010, 11:50 PM
It doesn't matter when the player acquires the new nationality. What matter re his eligibilty to play for his new association is that he further satisfies the criteria outlined in the rest of article 17.
The criteria was set out like that to prevent say Brazilians being eligible to play for a new association after receiving a gift of a (fast tracked) passport in the post.
Article 17 is the main article under which our diaspora qualify.

Actually, do you know if article 17 applies in cases where nationality is acquired via parentage? I can see how it mightn't and only in cases where grand-parentage entitles a conferral of citizenship.

The Citizen Information website (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/irish-citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent) contains the following information:

If either of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth.

So, if you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was himself or herself born in Ireland, then you are an Irish citizen.

It appears, then, that nationality is conferred automatically from birth to all those persons born to Irish nationals. However, to acquire Irish nationality through grand-parentage, it appears that the applicant has to apply to be included in the foreign births register and they're deemed to be an Irish national from the date of acquisition.

If one of your grandparents is an Irish citizen but none of your parents was born in Ireland, you may become an Irish citizen. You will need to have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register.

If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration.

This latter form of acquiring Irish citizenship would invoke article 17 and its territorial criteria as there is little doubt that it amounts to the acquisition of a new nationality, whereas it appears that those who are Irish nationals from birth by parental descent would qualify to play for us under article 15. Would this be a correct understanding?

irishfan86
04/04/2010, 11:59 PM
Danny...I don't really get your point. No northern born Ireland player is "born" in the jurisdiction of the FAI in the formal sense. Why would whether they are born in Northern Ireland, or their grandparents were make any difference?

If they are eligible for Irish citizenship through a grandparent, parent, or through birth, they are eligible to play for the Republic. That is the ruling as it stands to the best of my knowledge.

DannyInvincible
05/04/2010, 12:49 AM
Danny...I don't really get your point. No northern born Ireland player is "born" in the jurisdiction of the FAI in the formal sense. Why would whether they are born in Northern Ireland, or their grandparents were make any difference?

If they are eligible for Irish citizenship through a grandparent, parent, or through birth, they are eligible to play for the Republic. That is the ruling as it stands to the best of my knowledge.

A single and simple all-encompassing ruling like that doesn't exist. The relevant statutes here - articles 15 to 18 - are quoted on the previous page (http://foot.ie/threads/132063-Should-we-stop-recruiting-NI-players?p=1341920&viewfull=1#post1341920).

Those born in the north (and, presumably, persons born to an Irish parent anywhere, as those born of an Irish national are automatically conferred with Irish citizenship from birth) qualify to play for us under article 15. Article 17, however, comes into play in circumstances where a player not entitled to Irish citizenship by birth (or, I assume, by descent via parentage), but rather, by applying through descent via grand-parentage, acquires a new nationality.

Whilst article 17 refers to the territory of the FAI, eligibility under article 15 has nothing to do with territory or jurisdiction, but rather strictly nationality, and seeing as Ireland offers citizenship extra-territorially as a birthright to those born in the north (save for the exceptions introduced by the twenty-seventh constitutional amendment in 2004), this enables those born in Northern Ireland represent us under article 15 despite not being born within the jurisdiction of the FAI.

For a player who acquires new citizenship through grand-parentage and is deemed an Irish citizen from the date of acquisition, the criteria in article 17 stipulate that these grandparents must have been born in the territory of of FAI.

DannyInvincible
05/04/2010, 1:37 AM
For that reason, I don't believe that a player like Carl Magnay, who was born in England and whose link to Ireland is via grandparents born in Northern Ireland, is eligible to play for us despite being perfectly entitled to apply for Irish citizenship (assuming his grandparents were also Irish citizens), unless FIFA would interpret Northern Ireland as constituting the territory of the FAI due to the fact that Irish citizenship can be conferred to those born there, but I don't find that likely seeing as the IFA already claim jurisdiction over that territory. The discrepancy arises in the statutes because Irish citizenship is granted extra-territorially to those born in Northern Ireland. For Magnay to qualify to play for us, I imagine article 17 would have to allow for his grandparents merely to have held Irish citizenship as opposed to demanding the stricter condition that they had been born in the territory of the FAI. The legal rules governing the extension of Irish citizenship don't require that those entitled to it be born within the territory of the Irish state. That's the fundamental difference.

Gather round
05/04/2010, 9:10 AM
Thankfully, pedantry is alive and well to keep me straight. :P

More to the point, however; we both know that that constitutional amendment doesn't really matter a huge deal within the current debate. It was raised a couple of pages ago as well for some reason. I don't really know why

I don't think it's quite pedantry (and certainly not compared with the impressively detailed posts on every possible aspect of the dispute, by you and others). Many on the thread assume that everyone born in Ireland, as well as potentially millions elsewhere, qualify for Southern citizenship. I'm merely pointing out that not only is this no longer true, but that the change was supported by a huge majority of Southern voters in 2004.

Sorry if it upsets Ardee Bhoy, but your native country is just as restrictive as your adopted one.

ifk101
05/04/2010, 9:16 AM
For that reason, I don't believe that a player like Carl Magnay, who was born in England and whose link to Ireland is via grandparents born in Northern Ireland, is eligible to play for us despite being perfectly entitled to apply for Irish citizenship (assuming his grandparents were also Irish citizens), unless FIFA would interpret Northern Ireland as constituting the territory of the FAI due to the fact that Irish citizenship can be conferred to those born there, but I don't find that likely seeing as the IFA already claim jurisdiction over that territory. The discrepancy arises in the statutes because Irish citizenship is granted extra-territorially to those born in Northern Ireland. For Magnay to qualify to play for us, I imagine article 17 would have to allow for his grandparents merely to have held Irish citizenship as opposed to demanding the stricter condition that they had been born in the territory of the FAI. The legal rules governing the extension of Irish citizenship don't require that those entitled to it be born within the territory of the Irish state. That's the fundamental difference.

If I'm not mistaken, Alex Bruce qualifies for us through a grandmother born in Bangor, NI. Furthermore, and again if I'm not mistaken, his eligibility for us was challenged at the time of Gibson. I presume Magnay qualifies for us on similar lines to Alex Bruce - most likely the grandparent in NI was born prior to partition. Anyways I can't find any quotes from Magnay stating that he has switched but if I could they'd probably be on similar lines to Alex Bruce's motivation to play for us; "I think I'm going to pick the Republic purely because I think they are a better team. That's no disrespect to Northern Ireland."

But, and on another note, it's interesting that the IFA is pursuing players of Bruce's, Magnay's etc etc background especially in the light of a previous Nigel Worthlesston statement. Worthlesston uttered this nugget of wisdom as to why Gibson should play for the North; "He's been born in the North so I think it's only right that the place of birth is the country that you play for."

geysir
05/04/2010, 11:32 AM
Actually, do you know if article 17 applies in cases where nationality is acquired via parentage? I can see how it mightn't and only in cases where grand-parentage entitles a conferral of citizenship.

The Citizen Information website (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/irish-citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent) contains the following information:

It appears, then, that nationality is conferred automatically from birth to all those persons born to Irish nationals. However, to acquire Irish nationality through grand-parentage, it appears that the applicant has to apply to be included in the foreign births register and they're deemed to be an Irish national from the date of acquisition.

It is a good question in relation to automatic citizenship and how FIFA would regard it.
This is the flip side to foreign nationals giving birth to a kid in Ireland.

This latter form of acquiring Irish citizenship would invoke article 17 and its territorial criteria as there is little doubt that it amounts to the acquisition of a new nationality, whereas it appears that those who are Irish nationals from birth by parental descent would qualify to play for us under article 15. Would this be a correct understanding?

The big bone of IFA contention (aka utter confusion) are those NI born kids who have no 26 county residence or parents/grandparents born there, therefore the IFA say that kid should not qualify under article 15 to play for the FAI.
The example you pick of a kid born outside the country to one Irish born parent, has automatic entitlement to Irish citizenship regardless of residence in Ireland.
That kid already has a blood line to Ireland established.
Whether that kid qualifies under article 15 or article 17 doesn't matter. What matters is, the kid qualifies.

What also matters is, if he has played international football for that other country. If he has, then he has to satisfy the criteria in Article 18 before he can qualify to play for the FAI.
Article 18 also applies those NI born footballers who want to declare for the FAI but who have played representative youth/senior friendly for NI.

DannyInvincible
05/04/2010, 1:05 PM
I don't think it's quite pedantry (and certainly not compared with the impressively detailed posts on every possible aspect of the dispute, by you and others). Many on the thread assume that everyone born in Ireland, as well as potentially millions elsewhere, qualify for Southern citizenship. I'm merely pointing out that not only is this no longer true, but that the change was supported by a huge majority of Southern voters in 2004.

I'm not so sure everyone is assuming that. It's more likely that, in spite of by-passing mention of it every time they speak of the general rule entitling those born on the island to Irish citizenship (save for the three-and-half page list of exceptions and conditions in the legislation, of course), most here are well aware of that change to Irish nationality law, but they simply don't see a need to keep mentioning it as it's not a major aspect of the issue which is under debate here - whether or not northern-borns who are entitled to Irish citizenship are eligible to represent us - and it merely serves to complicate matters unnecessarily as it doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not a northern-born is eligible to play for us if it is assumed that he is eligible for Irish citizenship in the first place. For the sake of the argument, I don't think it's an unreasonable "jump" to make when trying to understand the nature of his citizenship.

If I'm not mistaken, Alex Bruce qualifies for us through a grandmother born in Bangor, NI. Furthermore, and again if I'm not mistaken, his eligibility for us was challenged at the time of Gibson. I presume Magnay qualifies for us on similar lines to Alex Bruce - most likely the grandparent in NI was born prior to partition. Anyways I can't find any quotes from Magnay stating that he has switched but if I could they'd probably be on similar lines to Alex Bruce's motivation to play for us; "I think I'm going to pick the Republic purely because I think they are a better team. That's no disrespect to Northern Ireland."

You're correct about Bruce's link to us being through a Bangor-born grandmother. I'm not so sure of the likelihood of her being born prior to partition, however. Doing a quick bit of background research and mathematical work, that would have made her at least 38 or so when she gave birth to Steve Bruce. Not saying it's impossible or anything, of course; just not as likely as the likelihood of her having being born post-partition. Maybe...

Anyhow, either way, that's his link to this island and if she was indeed born after partition, I don't see how such a link satisfies the FIFA rules. It entitles him to Irish citizenship, sure, but I don't think it satisfies FIFA's article 17 which raises a territorial element that is not contained in article 15. It would certainly be very interesting to hear the reasoning as to why FIFA believed he was eligible to play for us if the IFA did indeed challenge it. Why would the IFA challenge it if she was indeed born prior to partition anyway? Maybe FIFA apply some "common sense" approach to interpreting the meaning of the rule in relation to Ireland with it's rather unique form of nationality law? As far as Magnay is concerned, I believe he had grandparents, or at least a grandparent, from Derry, although I'm not sure whether they would have been born prior to or post-partition either.

The big bone of IFA contention (aka utter confusion) are those NI born kids who have no 26 county residence or parents/grandparents born there, therefore the IFA say that kid should not qualify under article 15 to play for the FAI.
The example you pick of a kid born outside the country to one Irish born parent, has automatic entitlement to Irish citizenship regardless of residence in Ireland.
That kid already has a blood line to Ireland established.
Whether that kid qualifies under article 15 or article 17 doesn't matter. What matters is, the kid qualifies.

What also matters is, if he has played international football for that other country. If he has, then he has to satisfy the criteria in Article 18 before he can qualify to play for the FAI.
Article 18 also applies those NI born footballers who want to declare for the FAI but who have played representative youth/senior friendly for NI.

I suppose why I mention it is because it would appear that those, say, born in England or wherever to an Irish national parent from Northern Ireland would qualify to play for us under article 15. The territorial requirement would not need to be satisfied due to the automatic nature of the citizenship. Under this scenario, I imagine it would make a difference as to whether the kid qualified under article 15 or article 17. Indeed, if it was article 17, I can't see how he would qualify to play for us. Of course, article 17 could only apply in such a scenario if the citizenship was being assumed from the date of acquisition after the child's birth and that is not the nature of conferral of Irish citizenship by parental descent, which is automatic (at odds with how citizenship might be acquired by descent through an Irish grandparent).

geysir
05/04/2010, 1:30 PM
I suppose why I mention it is because it would appear that those, say, born in England or wherever to an Irish national parent from Northern Ireland would qualify to play for us under article 15. The territorial requirement would not need to be satisfied due to the automatic nature of the citizenship. Under this scenario, I imagine it would make a difference as to whether the kid qualified under article 15 or article 17. Indeed, if it was article 17, I can't see how he would qualify to play for us. Of course, article 17 could only apply in such a scenario if the citizenship was being assumed from the date of acquisition after the child's birth and that is not the nature of conferral of Irish citizenship by parental descent, which is automatic (at odds with how citizenship might be acquired by descent through an Irish grandparent).

That is the most interesting take on it so far. Well done.
You say according to Irish citizenship law, that maybe FIFA allow Bruce to qualify under article 15 and that does explain why Art 17, parent/grandparent birth in the association territory, does not apply.
I'll give it more thought on it later.

DannyInvincible
05/04/2010, 1:59 PM
That is the most interesting take on it so far. Well done.
You say according to Irish citizenship law, that maybe FIFA allow Bruce to qualify under article 15 and that does explain why Art 17, parent/grandparent birth in the association territory, does not apply.
I'll give it more thought on it later.

For Bruce to be eligible under article 15, though, I imagine one of his parents would have to have been an Irish citizen born on the island. This would have conferred Irish citizenship unto him automatically from birth. As it is, though, he qualifies through a grandparent and would have had to acquire his Irish citizenship, which is what brings article 17 into play here as his only permanent and original nationality at birth in England would have been British. I'm not strictly sure how FIFA would make such a leap between the two articles, if that is indeed what they would have done. The other possibility was that FIFA interpret the meaning of "territory" loosely or apply some "common sense" reading of it in the context of the FAI's territory and the realm over which Irish nationality law applies and to where it extends; that being extra-territorially.

geysir
05/04/2010, 2:37 PM
Ah right, I thought Bruce had an NI mother. My misunderstanding though I suspect Co Down Green was the faulty source :)

DannyInvincible
05/04/2010, 2:49 PM
Ah right, I thought Bruce had an NI mother. My misunderstanding though I suspect Co Down Green was the faulty source :)

It was Steve Bruce's mother was from Bangor, so Alex Bruce's grandmother. Assuming Wikipedia is correct.

DannyInvincible
05/04/2010, 2:51 PM
Of course, that's not to discount the fact that situation you mentioned could very easily arise.

geysir
05/04/2010, 3:12 PM
disclaimer :D
I have no doubt that CDG has anything other than the highest quality breeding ingredients and I do not allude at all to whom CDG might have practiced the art of breeding with.
But I connect CDG as the source of encouraging my misunderstanding re the birthplace of A. Bruce's mother.

co. down green
05/04/2010, 8:24 PM
disclaimer :D
I have no doubt that CDG has anything other than the highest quality breeding ingredients and I do not allude at all to whom CDG might have practiced the art of breeding with.
But I connect CDG as the source of encouraging my misunderstanding re the birthplace of A. Bruce's mother.

geysir

Unlike Bill Clinton i stand by the following statement 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman' :)

I never stated that Alex Bruce's mother was from Bangor.

Post 471

I presume he qualifies in the same way Alex Bruce qualified for us via his Bangor, Co. Down born Grandmother.

ArdeeBhoy
06/04/2010, 12:30 AM

Sorry if it upsets Ardee Bhoy, but your native country is just as restrictive as your adopted one.

More claptrap. The Brits went round half the world, illegally colonizing it. And then have the nerve to deny citizenship to significant nos of their former imperial 'subjects'. Mainly those of a different colour or volition.

Charlie Darwin
06/04/2010, 12:33 AM
This shouldn't really become a ****ing contest about whose country is more evil.

Colbert Report
06/04/2010, 3:30 AM
I don't get why this thread is still going on.

Anyone born anywhere on the island of Ireland can play for the Republic. Handle it.

ArdeeBhoy
06/04/2010, 9:47 AM
This shouldn't really become a ****ing contest about whose country is more evil.

It's just the Hypocrisy angle I would object to.

And if it's between us and the evil empire that emanated from across the sea, there's only one winner!!!

tetsujin1979
06/04/2010, 4:00 PM
slightly off topic, Nedum Onuoha is thinking about switching allegiances from England to Nigeria: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1202957_onuoha_turns_back_on_fabio
Wonder what the response will be to this?

ArdeeBhoy
06/04/2010, 4:06 PM
The same applies to Victor Moses?? Though he was born in Lagos, so only tenuous residential grounds, as to why he would ever play for 'Ingleland' anyway.....

bwagner
06/04/2010, 11:36 PM
Northern Ireland schools Squad at Drumaness - plenty of catholic schools and names there for us to steal :P

Name
Surname
School

Conor
Brennan
St. Colmcille's Crossgar

Chrs
Johns
BanbridgeAcademy

Ryan
Irwin
Lisnagarvey

Matthew
Clarke
StrabaneHigh School

Matthew
Deighan
St. Malachy's College

Thomas
Healey
St. Patrick's GS Downpatrick

Shane
McKinney
Craigavon Senior HS

Aaron
Rogan
St. Joseph’s derry

Noel
Lawless
St. Paul's Lurgan

Conall
McGrandles
Meanscoil

Joseph
McKinney
St. Colmcille's Crossgar

Aaron
Rogan
St. Joseph's Derry

Joshua
Barton
Lurgan Junior High

David
Healey
LumenChristi College

Luke
Conlan
St. Columba's Portaferry

Shane
Meenan
St. Peter’sDerry

Also called up for the game at Comber are

Name
Surname
School

Ryan
McLaughlin
St. Mary’s CBGS

Luke
McCullough
PortadownCollege

Dominic
Ball
HarefieldAcademy

Douglas
Wilson
Markethill HS

Shay
McCartan
St. Colman's Newry

ArdeeBhoy
07/04/2010, 12:13 AM
Is that their full squad?? :rolleyes:

If so, they might be in trouble on the basis of those schools and surnames....

bwagner
07/04/2010, 12:34 AM
Yea im actually surprised at the ammount of catholic lads in one squad.
Good to see it.
Drumaness would be mainly catholic, as would Portaferry.

Gather round
07/04/2010, 8:17 AM
Yea im actually surprised at the ammount of catholic lads in one squad.
Good to see it. Drumaness would be mainly catholic, as would Portaferry

Would it really make that much difference if the NI schools squad was 100% Protestant, Muslim or some variant of Jedi? The South would still be able to pick them for U-19 football and beyond.

ArdeeBhoy
07/04/2010, 11:19 AM
The South would still be able to pick them for U-19 football and beyond.

Would be that be the Deep South? Or are we talking somewhere more sub-Saharan??
Given GR'S geographical dyslexia, let's hope they do....

geysir
07/04/2010, 11:19 AM
I never stated that Alex Bruce's mother was from Bangor.

Post 471

Looks like I picked the wrong poster to blame :)

Now I have to come to terms with that I was the only poster who mixed up Bruce's family ties to Co. Down (the place).

sean r
08/04/2010, 2:10 AM
we should pick NI players just think if the republic have george best or pat jennings or norman whiteside!! there were some class players up there we should pick the top players that are able to play for the republic neal lennon could of played for us. look at the situation in scotland with nacho novo. should he be picked? the manager's job is to pick the best players available to the national team. combine the NI team and the ROI team you might get a squad that will qualify every time.NI had some top class players in the 70's that could of played for us. we pick english born players who are not real irish or who ireland were not there 1st choice so why not pick NI players? if a lad wants to play for us he should be picked if he holds an irish passport then he can play no questions england even picked non english players and they turned out to be great for them.

DannyInvincible
08/04/2010, 3:53 AM
combine the NI team and the ROI team you might get a squad that will qualify every time.

How do you propose this happens?

we pick english born players who are not real irish

:rolleyes: How insulting. What's not really Irish about them?

co. down green
08/04/2010, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure why Thomas McBride is included in the North's u18 (http://www.irishfa.com/the-ifa/news/5605/northern-ireland-to-face-the-kiwis-at-wilgar-park/) schools team for their game tomorrow, he was playing for Ireland u19's against Poland on Tuesday and is in the squad for the second game this evening.

I don't think schools teams are classed as proper 'internationals' or equevelant to u17/u19 squads, but still unlikely he'll be involved. Surely their u18 manager is aware McBride plays for Ireland?

ArdeeBhoy
08/04/2010, 11:31 AM
we pick english born players who are not real irish or who ireland were not there 1st choice so why not pick NI players? if a lad wants to play for us he should be picked if he holds an irish passport then he can play no questions england even picked non english players and they turned out to be great for them.
Have you not heard of the :rolleyes: Diaspora?? As for the Ingles, their main loophole was due to their former illegal Empire....of which the North ironically is one last sad outpost !
Next.

gspain
08/04/2010, 2:21 PM
I'm not sure why Thomas McBride is included in the North's u18 (http://www.irishfa.com/the-ifa/news/5605/northern-ireland-to-face-the-kiwis-at-wilgar-park/) schools team for their game tomorrow, he was playing for Ireland u19's against Poland on Tuesday and is in the squad for the second game this evening.

I don't think schools teams are classed as proper 'internationals' or equevelant to u17/u19 squads, but still unlikely he'll be involved. Surely their u18 manager is aware McBride plays for Ireland?

They are proper Internationals but you can play for the country your school is located in. Hence Ryan Giggs played for the England schools and Alan Kernaghan played schools for NI but they didn't consider him eligible for their underage and senior squads.

I'm sure the NI schools manager is well aware Thomas plays for our U19s.

We also have a separate u18 team but this is not a competitive grade for UEFA so they only play occasional friendlies.

geysir
08/04/2010, 4:52 PM
There was Derry player, Sharkey? one day he played for NI schools, the next day he was on his bike to join up with the FAI youth team for a friendly international.

seanfhear
08/04/2010, 7:33 PM
There was Derry player, Sharkey? one day he played for NI schools, the next day he was on his bike to join up with the FAI youth team for a friendly international.
What a fit guy, what with all the football and cycling. (I could be falling into a trap here ! !)

Predator
08/04/2010, 8:25 PM
Not quite sure, but I thought Sharkey was from Donegal, but went to school in Derry.

co. down green
08/04/2010, 11:38 PM
Good to see Belfast striker Daniel Kearns secure another win for the u19's (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100824&catid=4&Itemid=12) against Poland tonight

Daniel Kearns was delighted to score the winner on the night in only his second game under Sean McCaffrey.

He admitted: "Obviously it was brilliant for me to score on my first start." However, he was even happier with the team's performance over the two games "These games have been great preparation for the elite qualifying stage. We have a very tough group so it will be good to go into the qualifiers on the back of two good performances."

Boleyn67
09/04/2010, 6:56 AM
Good to see Belfast striker Daniel Kearns secure another win for the u19's (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100824&catid=4&Itemid=12) against Poland tonight

Daniel Kearns was delighted to score the winner on the night in only his second game under Sean McCaffrey.

He admitted: "Obviously it was brilliant for me to score on my first start." However, he was even happier with the team's performance over the two games "These games have been great preparation for the elite qualifying stage. We have a very tough group so it will be good to go into the qualifiers on the back of two good performances."

Danny Kearns is being released from West Ham along with Terry Dixon over the coming weeks.

ifk101
09/04/2010, 9:51 AM
"(The IFA) have picked Daniel Kearns as the case they’re going to bring to CAS," Delaney said yesterday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfkfgbqlgbid/rss2/

Lionel Ritchie
09/04/2010, 11:25 AM
Aaron Rogan must be a feckin wizard -they've picked him twice.

Come to think of it ...maybe he's not only Catholic -maybe he's one of them Padre Pio types who can bi-substansiate. Think of the possibilities ...that would be some striking partnership if we stuck him up front with himself ...and the money would just roll in from the Karaoke competitions he'd walk doing Everly Brothers songs.

Predator
09/04/2010, 1:10 PM
Danny Kearns is being released from West Ham along with Terry Dixon over the coming weeks.
Whoah! Tell us more insider!

"(The IFA) have picked Daniel Kearns as the case they’re going to bring to CAS," Delaney said yesterday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfkfgbqlgbid/rss2/
Have they decided to pick Kearns as a type of scapegoat, since he is the most recent one to change? There are quite a few kids in our underage squads at the minute who don't satisfy the IFA and their interpretation of the rules.

Aaron Rogan must be a feckin wizard -they've picked him twice.

Come to think of it ...maybe he's not only Catholic -maybe he's one of them Padre Pio types who can bi-substansiate. Think of the possibilities ...that would be some striking partnership if we stuck him up front with himself ...and the money would just roll in from the Karaoke competitions he'd walk doing Everly Brothers songs.
He's actually a very good player; he played out of position at right back for NI in the Victory Shield and received positive reviews - he even found himself being featured in Soccer AM's 'Showboat' compilation. On top of that, he's an Irish and European champion boxer.

Charlie Darwin
09/04/2010, 4:00 PM
http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/sport/5086065.WEST_HAM__Payne_among_eight_players_to_lea ve_club/

No mention of Dixon but Kearns is apparently on his bike.

DannyInvincible
12/04/2010, 6:37 PM
There are quite a few kids in our underage squads at the minute who don't satisfy the IFA and their interpretation of the rules.

Just reading article 18 again, the way it is worded provides a crucial insight into how "nationality" should be read in article 16 where a player is "eligible to represent more than one Association on account of his nationality", the article the IFA are asking the CAS to ensure FIFA uphold. Article 18 begins:

If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several representative teams due to nationality...

The IFA's case rests on the word "nationality" in article 16 referring to a fusion of all nationalities held by a particular player - for example, if his nationality was considered "Irish-British"/"British-Irish", this single nationality would entitle him to play for more than one team, Ireland and, say, Northern Ireland - but it is clear from the wording of article 18 that FIFA treat each nationality held by a player as distinct from any other nationalities he might hold. The article distinguishes between a player having more than one nationality (which is the case for those players born in the north who possess both Irish and British nationality) and players eligible to play for more than one team due to a single nationality (for example, British nationality would permit a player to play for any of the "Home nations" before the application of further conditions restricting players with British nationality to play for one). There is no such thing as a single "Irish-British" nationality; rather, there are separate Irish and British nationalities, and, importantly, this is how FIFA view the concept of nationality. That might sound a bit convoluted and I'm not sure how well I've articulated what I'm trying to say, but I think you can get the gist of it anyway. Essentially, it means the IFA's case is destined to fail.

sean r
13/04/2010, 1:01 AM
now to shed more light on the subject what would be the all time combined team, and how good would a combined team do now? dont forget northern ireland had one of the best footballers in history who could of played for eireann if a player is able to play for the republic then he should be picked no questions asked. so yes we should pick who we can for the benefit of the national team

ArdeeBhoy
13/04/2010, 1:25 PM
Who do you mean? Jennings??

Not too many realistic characters at this stage....

Irish_Praha
13/04/2010, 4:00 PM
Who do you mean? Jennings??

Not too many realistic characters at this stage....

I presume he meant Best?

Predator
13/04/2010, 9:42 PM
I presume he meant Best?
To be fair he could have meant a couple of people, but you're right it was probably Georgie Boy.

Lionel Ritchie
14/04/2010, 9:37 AM
...one of the best footballers in history who could of played for...

I think we should have a dedicated thread in Other Stuff where others so inclined as myself can point and laugh at people who do this. :-D

DannyInvincible
14/04/2010, 10:17 AM
I think we should have a dedicated thread in Other Stuff where others so inclined as myself can point and laugh at people who do this. :-D

Awk now, sure he's only a kid...