PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

McGeady10
02/09/2006, 10:40 PM
Utterly disgusting team selection and with a coward like that as manager I'm glad we lost. I know it's a terrible thing to say but if a cowardly team line like Staunton put out tonight managed to get a point we'd be stuck with the same nonsense for the rest of the qualifiers. Hopefully this is a wake up call.

Even whem McGeady came on for 11 minutes (yeah that's enough time!!) he played him right wing and the ball never came down the right side for the rest of the game! McGeady though ended up picking the ball up at left back! Driving forward and picking out a pass that opened the Germans up and led to our last minute corner big Dunny should have scored from.

Aiden McGeady is Irelands on-form attacking player. Not to play him tonight was gross negligence on the part of the manager. McGeady will be starting the Champions League in a few weeks time. We can't afford to leave such ability on the subs bench.

I am so angry with Staunton it's unbelivable. I want him sacked... TONIGHT!

Réiteoir
02/09/2006, 10:42 PM
McGeady is gash though

Makes Gareth Farrelly look like Ronaldinho

McGeady10
02/09/2006, 10:43 PM
To highlight how well McGeady is playing check this poll on a Celtic website...

Player of the month for August... McGeady 136 votes and the next best is FIVE!!!

http://www.thehuddleboard.com/hb/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=964

DmanDmythDledge
02/09/2006, 10:44 PM
The only reason that I can think of for McGeady's exclusion is that Stan wants to go for players that he feels have proven themselves at this level for a game against a big team like Germany. Now I don't think that Kilbane or Reid have proved themselves to be automatic choices but obviously Stan does.

McGeady10
02/09/2006, 10:45 PM
McGeady is gash though

You're either absolutely deluded or just finished a heavy day on the beer... or both!!! McGeady is the most naturally talented Irishman of all time. If he even half fills his potential he'll make Liam Brady look like Kevin Kilbane!

McGeady10
02/09/2006, 10:46 PM
The only reason that I can think of for McGeady's exclusion is that Stan wants to go for players that he feels have proven themselves at this level for a game against a big team like Germany. Now I don't think that Kilbane or Reid have proved themselves to be automatic choices but obviously Stan does.

Aiden McGeady was MOTM in a Champions League game against AC Milan!! He's also been MOTM in Old Firm derbys!! He's more than proved enough to get a game for us! We're hardly bloody Brazil!

tricky_colour
02/09/2006, 10:47 PM
To highlight how well McGeady is playing check this poll on a Celtic website...

Player of the month for August... McGeady 136 votes and the next best is FIVE!!!

http://www.thehuddleboard.com/hb/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=964

Can we borrow your login to get a look at that?;)

DmanDmythDledge
02/09/2006, 10:47 PM
Aiden McGeady was MOTM in a Champions League game against AC Milan!! He's also been MOTM in Old Firm derbys!! He's more than proved enough to get a game for us!
I know all that. I was just looking at it from Stan's point of view.

McGeady10
02/09/2006, 10:50 PM
Can we borrow your login to get a look at that?;)

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/8080/clipboard01pb4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

brine3
02/09/2006, 11:35 PM
even when he came on, mcgeady put his foot on the ball, looked up and gave a great pass out of defence. something killer or o'shea didn't do in the whole 90 mins

Réiteoir
02/09/2006, 11:39 PM
McGeady is the most naturally talented Irishman of all time. If he even half fills his potential he'll make Liam Brady look like Kevin Kilbane!

And judging by that - I assume you've just been on a Vodka bender lasting a solid fortnight (btw - fortnight means "two weeks" son) :rolleyes:

sligoman
02/09/2006, 11:52 PM
McGeady is the most naturally talented Irishman of all time. If he even half fills his potential he'll make Liam Brady look like Kevin Kilbane!Jesus Aidan, didn't realise you were registered on foot.ie?:eek: :rolleyes:

Lim till i die
03/09/2006, 12:02 AM
McGeady is the most naturally talented Irishman of all time. If he even half fills his potential he'll make Liam Brady look like Kevin Kilbane!

Good God. :eek:

I'm not even sure if he's the most naturally talented McGeady of all time :eek:

I can only assume your talking about his punditry skills and even at that he's untested as a pundit at the highest level :rolleyes:

as_i_say
03/09/2006, 12:31 AM
youve got to admit the little celtic loving momo has a point. you have got to play your form players. stan should have had the balls to play mcgeady from the start.

Emmet
03/09/2006, 9:22 AM
I agree ... I think McGeady and Alan O'Brien should be our two wide players for the next game. They are two genuinely attack-minded players with the one thing that scares defenders - pace. It's that old chestnut - if you're good enough you're old enough!

gustavo
03/09/2006, 12:43 PM
My dog loves chasing a ball and he quite pacy even in his advanced years , doesnt mean that i think he should be on the left wing for Ireland

Emmet
03/09/2006, 1:57 PM
My dog loves chasing a ball and he quite pacy even in his advanced years , doesnt mean that i think he should be on the left wing for Ireland

:confused: :confused: :confused:

pete
03/09/2006, 1:57 PM

Can your dog do step overs? :D

McGreedy is worth his place in the squad but unsure he good enough to start yet. O'Brien on the other hand doesn't even have a step over.

:confused:

joema
03/09/2006, 2:00 PM
Was gutted McGeady didnt start yesterday - IMO Stan simply didnt have the bottle to start him

sligoman
03/09/2006, 2:14 PM
IMO Stan simply didnt have the bottle to start himNo, cos he kicked it away!:p :D

eirebhoy
03/09/2006, 2:27 PM
Can your dog do step overs? :D

I can't say McGeady is big on stepovers. He'll always move his feet but he's hardly Denilson when it comes to the oul' lollypops.

If McGeady is not Ireland's best player in 4 or 5 years time I'll run down O'Connoll street naked. :) His form this season has been incredible and I can't believe he didn't start last night. He has played against players of the ability of Jansen many a time, he would certainly not have been out of his depth. McGeady's a confidence player and he'll be much better for Ireland away from home until he gets the backing of the Irish fans. In Lansdowne he has a lot more pressure on his shoulders.

From that thread that McGeady10 posted:

Huddleboard Rating/MOTM Winners so far this season:

Killie - McGeady
Hearts - McGeady
St. Mirren - Naka/McGeady
ICT - McGeady
Hibs - McGeady

McGeady10, why not contribute to a few more threads other than those about McGeady?

pete
03/09/2006, 4:52 PM
Staunton is already picking squads from reality tv so i suppose picking a team from internet ratings wouldn't be a big step up.

;)

tricky_colour
03/09/2006, 6:06 PM
No, cos he kicked it away!:p :D

If was our only shot on target of the match :D

micls
03/09/2006, 6:15 PM
I agree ... I think McGeady and Alan O'Brien should be our two wide players for the next game. They are two genuinely attack-minded players with the one thing that scares defenders - pace. It's that old chestnut - if you're good enough you're old enough!

McGeady should start alright but Alan O' Brien?? Sure he's fast as hell but the young fella gets confused when he sees the white roundy thing at his feet.

Roy O donovan is probably one of the fastest players iv ever seen play football but that doesnt mean he's good enough to play for the senior team

Pat O' Banton
03/09/2006, 6:34 PM
McGeady is gash though

Good God.

I'm not even sure if he's the most naturally talented McGeady of all time

I can only assume your talking about his punditry skills and even at that he's untested as a pundit at the highest level

Or to quote Paulo Maldini, McGeady has "talent, a good personality and calmness." Still lads I'm sure you know beter than people like Maldini.

Sheridan
03/09/2006, 6:37 PM
McGeady is the most naturally talented Irishman of all time.
That's wrong on at least two counts.

Billsthoughts
03/09/2006, 6:40 PM
i like mageady but in fairness to staunton he was non existant in the first half against the dutch. didnt want the ball at all.

Emmet
03/09/2006, 6:41 PM
McGeady should start alright but Alan O' Brien?? Sure he's fast as hell but the young fella gets confused when he sees the white roundy thing at his feet.

Roy O donovan is probably one of the fastest players iv ever seen play football but that doesnt mean he's good enough to play for the senior team

He's nowhere near the finished article I admit but I think he does pose a genuine attacking threat ... his problem will be getting first team football at Newcastle - he has Duff and N'Zogbia competing for the left midfield position!

micls
03/09/2006, 6:44 PM
He's nowhere near the finished article I admit but I think he does pose a genuine attacking threat ... his problem will be getting first team football at Newcastle - he has Duff and N'Zogbia competing for the left midfield position!

Maybe. I really hope the lad proves me wrong but i think he'd be better off as a sprinter.

A loan move for some first team football would do him a world of good alright

Emmet
03/09/2006, 6:46 PM
Maybe. I really hope the lad proves me wrong but i think he'd be better off as a sprinter.

A loan move for some first team football would do him a world of good alright

You're right - he does need regular first team football ... I'm basing my opinion of him on his second half showing against Holland and eight minutes or so against the Germans !!!

hoopy
03/09/2006, 7:45 PM
Aiden McGeady is Irelands on-form attacking player. Not to play him tonight was gross negligence on the part of the manager. McGeady will be starting the Champions League in a few weeks time. We can't afford to leave such ability on the subs bench.

Unfortunately mate like a lot of fans forums the anti Celtic brigade won't have a bar of McGeady. Most of us on planet Earth know how good he is but nevermind. Let's keep playing a stick like O'Shea because he plays for Utd(he must be good so) and the other 'greatest league in the World' players. I know the Scottish league is poor as much as anyone but McGeady is currently the best player in it and can't do any more than play as well as he is now. It just seems that whatever manager Ireland has always goes back to this 'experience' b**** however bad the players are

pete
03/09/2006, 8:03 PM
That's wrong on at least two counts.

Careful now, don't do it... :D

OneRedArmy
03/09/2006, 8:15 PM
I would have brought McGeady on a bit earlier and when he came on, I would have liked to see him get the ball rather than watch it sail over his head to our gargantuan strikers up front...

However, there are a number of reasons that he didn't start:
1) Defensive ability. Whilst it would have been refreshing to see us start with 2 wingers, we were playing the 3rd best side in the world, away from home. They have two good wide players (actually one great and one less so but even so) and I'd have feared for our full backs with Duff and McGeady starting as they would have been very exposed.

2)Ability to shine in a poor league doesn't automatically translate. Given a few more Champions League performances under his belt people will be able to judge his progress better, but in the same way Eircom League prospects often have their club form discounted based on the lack of quality in the league, the same applies to Scottish football. It can't be compared with the Premiership. This doesn't mean that McGeady isn't the great white hope, it just means that MoTM performances against the Aberdeens of this world aren't worth toffee in international football. Harsh but true.

Don't get me wrong, having seen him quite a few times for the U21s the potential is definately there, and on the basis we aren't going to qualify for 2008 we should only be playing guys who will be around for the 2010 campaign and he should get his chance. But not starting him last nite by no means was the firing offence that some of you seem to think.

eirebhoy
03/09/2006, 8:47 PM
2)Ability to shine in a poor league doesn't automatically translate. Given a few more Champions League performances under his belt people will be able to judge his progress better, but in the same way Eircom League prospects often have their club form discounted based on the lack of quality in the league, the same applies to Scottish football. It can't be compared with the Premiership. This doesn't mean that McGeady isn't the great white hope, it just means that MoTM performances against the Aberdeens of this world aren't worth toffee in international football. Harsh but true.

On the same token, while the SPL is a poor league, it's probably the fastest league in Europe and you get no time on the ball. Playing for Celtic you are just going to be harassed for the 90 minutes. 4 Inverness players actually got booked a couple of weeks ago for all fouling McGeady. Hesselink signed last week and played 40 minutes and said he was shattered after the game. Juninho was excellent playing in Spain but couldn't hack the SPL.

We'll have to see how he does in the Champions league but I think he'll really enjoy playing with that little bit more space. It's only 10 days for the first CL match so hopefully the Irish neutrals watch him against arguably the premiership's best right back. He could play terribly and I dread the thought of the next morning on here. :(

endabob1
04/09/2006, 8:22 AM
The point about not playing with 2 attacking wingers is a valid one for games away from home agains a team currently among the best 5 or 6 in the world.
I'd like to see him start in the home games or in Cyprus.

We need to build a team for the next world cup and that means looking at emerging players and getting rid of the older brigade, bringing Carr back was a mistake purely because I think with Finnan and Joey O'Brien we are well covered in that area. Similarly Kilbane should be moved on and allow someone like Stephen Ireland a chance in the centre.

Last point on McGeady, he's hugely popular with Celtic fans because he picked Ireland over Scotland and they know how much it pees off the Rangers fans, that has as much to do with his popularity as his ability.

Peadar
04/09/2006, 8:47 AM
I don't watch much Scottish football so I've never seen McGeady play for Celtic but from what I've seen of him at International level (U21, Senior) he's not worthy of automatic inclusion in the starting XI.

His performance away to Cyprus last year wouldn't see him get into the Waterford starting XI. The amount of posession he gave away was unnatural! He seems to have potential but what he does with it will only tell with time.

eirebhoy
04/09/2006, 9:38 AM
His performance away to Cyprus last year wouldn't see him get into the Waterford starting XI. The amount of posession he gave away was unnatural! He seems to have potential but what he does with it will only tell with time.
That's a fair point but you have to realise that McGeady was playing like that at club level too 12 months ago. He was the only player to play in every pre-season game when Strachan took over and he didn't impress in any of them. That meant he was dropped for the Artmedia game but came on after 20 minutes for Sutton. He missed one of the easiest chances you're likely to see in that game and his confidence must have been in shatters. He didn't play at all in the return leg, Ross Wallace took his place.

He started against Motherwell the last weekend in July and it was his last start for 4 months. Strachan put him in the reserves and he was more determined than ever to get his place back. We played Cyprus in October when he was at his worst confidence wise and most Celtic fans were doubting him (in comparison he was man of the match in the home leg against Cyprus a year before hand when he was the new kid on the scene). He came back into the team in November and and scored 3 goals in 5 games including a goal and man of the match against Rangers. He got injured for a few months and we only really got to see the new McGeady this season.

I have a brother who can't stand flashy players like McGeady, Ribery, Ronaldo and Schweinsteiger so I hate seeing McGeady having a poor game in front of him. :) Ribery had an abysmal first game at the world cup and no matter how well he played after that he couldn't win over my brother. He had no end product and couldn't beat a man against Switzerland and he had made a judgement on him already. I feel a lot of people on here feel the same. Alan O'Brien apparantly had an excellent debut against Holland but McGeady wasn't great. That's the reason I keep trying to tell people it's a "new McGeady". I want him to get a fresh start and people to forget the inconsistent winger he used to be. :)

Peadar
04/09/2006, 10:01 AM
I want him to get a fresh start and people to forget the inconsistant winger he used to be. :)

He'll have to earn my respect.
I'm keeping an open mind though.

Billsthoughts
04/09/2006, 12:21 PM
On the same token, while the SPL is a poor league, it's probably the fastest league in Europe and you get no time on the ball. Playing for Celtic you are just going to be harassed for the 90 minutes. 4 Inverness players actually got booked a couple of weeks ago for all fouling McGeady. Hesselink signed last week and played 40 minutes and said he was shattered after the game. Juninho was excellent playing in Spain but couldn't hack the SPL.

Again I think he is a good player but this is one of the dumbest posts ever.

wws
04/09/2006, 12:35 PM
McEadey is this seasons elliot - the get out clause from reality. we didnt beat the israelies cos kerr didnt bring on elliot - or so the fantasists will have you believe. now we didnt beat the third best team in the world because we didnt start mcgeadey

get out clause from reality

we just wernt good enough - we simply dont have the players. Physically mcgeady doesnt look like he could impose himself on that game

eirebhoy
04/09/2006, 12:43 PM
Again I think he is a good player but this is one of the dumbest posts ever.
Fair enough. :)

You get no time on the ball playing for Celtic, it's as simple as that and you can believe what you want.

Shelton Martis: "When I had a word with him afterwards he said to me, 'I'm knackered'. I said, 'Welcome to Scotland'"

Hesselink: "Although I only played for less than 40 minutes, I am still out of breath. The pace of the game in Scotland is unbelievably fast."
...especially as he admitted that he struggled to breathe throughout the final ten minutes, such was the pace of the game.

And that's a home game. Away games would be even worse.

GUISAUltra
04/09/2006, 1:39 PM
all the people that say mcgeady is inconsistent and is not good enough yet surely cant argue that even if he had a bad game against germany he still would have posed a lot more of a threat than S. Reid who was completely out of game altogether

keenanboy
04/09/2006, 7:16 PM
at least he's proven he's not a robot and acvtually has some feelings:)

Lim till i die
05/09/2006, 2:45 PM
Or to quote Paulo Maldini, McGeady has "talent, a good personality and calmness." Still lads I'm sure you know beter than people like Maldini.

To counter your argument, allow me to introduce Pele: One of the greatest footballers of all time............ Constantly spouts rubbish about the game ;)

drinkfeckarse
05/09/2006, 3:21 PM
To counter your argument, allow me to introduce Pele: One of the greatest footballers of all time............ Constantly spouts rubbish about the game ;)

I'm interested to hear what rubbish he has spouted, I've just finished his autobiography and I don't recall much crap in it. :confused:

endabob1
05/09/2006, 3:42 PM
I'm interested to hear what rubbish he has spouted, I've just finished his autobiography and I don't recall much crap in it. :confused:

Did he include the bit where he says about Nicky Butt being one of the best players in the world and then convieniently changing it a year later to Steven Gerrard when he was in the England team and Butt was in the Birmingham Reserves?

drinkfeckarse
05/09/2006, 3:49 PM
I don't recall Nicky Butt getting a mention :D

Junior
05/09/2006, 3:53 PM
Was it not "Englands" best playwer in the WC that he said?

drinkfeckarse
05/09/2006, 3:55 PM
That's what I was thinking...

endabob1
05/09/2006, 4:19 PM
Was it not "Englands" best playwer in the WC that he said?

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he said he was the best player at the World Cup ........ Considering he wasn't even the best midfielder in Birmngham last year that was a pretty big shout!