PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

Razors left peg
15/05/2008, 6:06 PM
Razor - just look at what happened to Duff playing in the Premiership every week. His career was over by the age of 26.

McGeady was damn near man of the match against Barcelona in the first leg at home because he set up both Celtic goals. He did little else and it was very very evident that he was way out of his depth - nothing to be ashamed of when you're playing against the world's best team, or one of them anyway. My point is, I'd like to see him go to Spain or Italy because I think he's so skillful he might have a better chance of an extended career playing there rather than putting up with hack-job right backs in England and Scotland.

Ryan Giggs managed to last pretty well for a long time being kicked. Duffs injury was down to freak injury rather than the tackles he suffered over the years, and I think his career is far from over anyway

And McGeady has had more than one man of the match performance in the Champions league over the years where he showed his class

Colbert Report
15/05/2008, 6:11 PM
Razor - you're getting me all wrong here. I'm a big McGeady fan and an even bigger Celtic fan. All I'm saying is that if he leaves Celtic, which I think he might, I'd rather seem him go to Europe rather than play for a team like Newcastle or Middlebrough.

Ideally I'd love to see him at Sunderland! He should go to someone like Athletico Bilbao.

Razors left peg
15/05/2008, 6:14 PM
Razor - you're getting me all wrong here. I'm a big McGeady fan and an even bigger Celtic fan. All I'm saying is that if he leaves Celtic, which I think he might, I'd rather seem him go to Europe rather than play for a team like Newcastle or Middlebrough.

Ideally I'd love to see him at Sunderland! He should go to someone like Athletico Bilbao.

I do agree with you that Spain would suit him more but Ive said on this forum in the past that I also think he is good enough to play for one of the top 4 clubs in England when you compare him to the likes of Nani, Park, Pennant, Benyoun, Eboue, Kalou

Colbert Report
15/05/2008, 6:19 PM
I don't see him getting a shout in at any of the top four clubs in England. He simply hasn't proven himself at the top level. He's played very well in a crap league (the SPL) but hasn't played well for Ireland on the international level. He needs at least one season in Spain, Italy, or a mid-table Premiership side before any of the top four would even consider looking seriously at him.

tetsujin1979
15/05/2008, 6:47 PM
Man United were linked with him before, I remember reading the rumour on football365

Razors left peg
15/05/2008, 6:59 PM
Man United were linked with him before, I remember reading the rumour on football365

Ferguson tried to sign him as a youth player alright but dont think he has ever made an enquiry for him since

eirebhoy
15/05/2008, 9:24 PM
Yesterday, I listened to a Rangers fan explain to me in chapter and verse why he hates McGeady, and he is booed at every game when he gets on the ball. Have whole new levels of respect for young Aidan now.
Noel Hunt was booed after his first touch at Ibrox last week.

Maroon 7
15/05/2008, 10:44 PM
Razor - just look at what happened to Duff playing in the Premiership every week. His career was over by the age of 26.

McGeady was damn near man of the match against Barcelona in the first leg at home because he set up both Celtic goals. He did little else and it was very very evident that he was way out of his depth - nothing to be ashamed of when you're playing against the world's best team, or one of them anyway. My point is, I'd like to see him go to Spain or Italy because I think he's so skillful he might have a better chance of an extended career playing there rather than putting up with hack-job right backs in England and Scotland.

So he set up both Celtic goals but was still way out of his depth?:D

Colbert Report
15/05/2008, 10:49 PM
Yes. Did you see the match? Obviously not. Celtic got the ball out of their own half only twice and they scored both times. He failed to make any runs at all down the left flank. Celtic were very very luck to score at all, he simply crossed the ball in twice and goals resulted from both crosses. Saying he's ready for a top four team in England is ludicrous.

eirebhoy
16/05/2008, 10:32 AM
He impressed in the Celtic leg against Celtic. Far from out of his depth. It was pretty much 50/50 possession between Celtic and Barca in the 2nd half of the 2nd leg and McGeady got a lot of the ball and did well.

Kingdom
16/05/2008, 10:47 AM
He impressed in the Celtic leg against Celtic. Far from out of his depth. It was pretty much 50/50 possession between Celtic and Barca in the 2nd half of the 2nd leg and McGeady got a lot of the ball and did well.

My taking on that game was that the distribution of the ball by the celtic back 4 (particularily the full backs) and Donati (?) was shocking. McGeady never stood a chance.

Its the same with Ireland. We lack a centre half and a midfield player with the understanding to control the ball. Ironically the best display of this that I can remember is the Israel game away, yet its the game that cost us the World cup slot! Our ball retention up to the last 10 mins that night was magnificent.

Maroon 7
16/05/2008, 10:52 AM
Yes. Did you see the match? Obviously not.

Yes I did see the match and he was probably Celtic's best player that night. How that equates to being out of his depth I'm not sure.

Celtic were working from minimal amounts of possession all night as Barcelona are so good at keeping the ball. Doesn't mean he was out of his depth though.

Maroon 7
16/05/2008, 5:35 PM
http://www.snspix.com/cgi-bin/ThinFFIG?urn=336761&type=preview&pail=pail63&FFAC=WM0000017697

Touching words by McGeady on a jersey he left for Tommy Burns outside Celtic Park.

Slaney
20/05/2008, 7:07 PM
I'm pretty astounded at some of the comments in this thread.

McGeady is probably the most naturally gifted player we have, with Robbie Keane. He's still a young talent thats growing and developing, young players take time to become consistant and he has been this year. He's scored more goals, 9 in all competitions and he doesn't take any set plays. He's also added the much needed final product to his game, well over 20 assists in all competitions.
Ok, it's hard to deny the kid hasn't played well for Ireland yet but he will. In Denmark he played a role in every single goal we scored, thats when I really thought he would push on. It can't be ignored that he's been part of an Irish team that was lead by an incompetent manager and completely low on confidence.

The argument that he hasn't done it that top level is ridiculous. He has been Celtic's best performer in the Champions League, which some may say is a higher level than International football.

He has an endless amount of ability and I think we're lucky to have him.

eekers
20/05/2008, 8:28 PM

McGeady is probably the most naturally gifted player we have, with Robbie Keane.

don't get them started on keane!!

Billsthoughts
20/05/2008, 10:29 PM

I know...you would swear we were talking about a player who has led us to a few world cups or something the way some people are going on.

McGeady is probably the most naturally gifted player we have, with Robbie Keane.

Agreed.

Ok, it's hard to deny the kid hasn't played well for Ireland

Agreed.

yet but he will.

I think Id be leaning toward more hope than expectation at this stage.

In Denmark he played a role in every single goal we scored, thats when I really thought he would push on. It can't be ignored that he's been part of an Irish team that was lead by an incompetent manager and completely low on confidence.

Fair point but there was a complete lack of effort in two of his performances in particular that cant really be blamed on the manager.

The argument that he hasn't done it that top level is ridiculous. He has been Celtic's best performer in the Champions League, which some may say is a higher level than International football.

They havent really done much in the Champions league have they in fairness? If he is having a stormer of a season for Celtic and playing below that average level for Ireland than you have to look at the standard he is playing at with Celtic. If he was bringing his Celtic form to Ireland wiht him then it wouldnt be an issue.

He has an endless amount of ability and I think we're lucky to have him.
Agreed.....(your way to reasonable to be on the "Aidean MaGeady Thread":D)

lionelhutz
21/05/2008, 9:21 AM

At least if he went there rather than another EPL team he wouldn't have to play against Bardsley who would almost certainly end his career!

eirebhoy
21/05/2008, 4:44 PM
Fair point but there was a complete lack of effort in two of his performances in particular that cant really be blamed on the manager.
As I said before you're confusing a lack of confidence to lack of effort. If your confidence is rock bottom you don't want the ball. Playing him against the Czechs was incredibly silly. I know he just wanted the ground to eat him up after about 10 minutes.

Billsthoughts
21/05/2008, 10:37 PM
no confusion here. maybe its yourself thats confused. :rolleyes:

eirebhoy
23/05/2008, 2:27 PM
Decent performance from McGeady last night. I liked the last 10 minutes when he just played 1 touch football. Pass and move. Excellent to watch and something we only really see from McGeady in friendlies or when the pressures off for some reason. Its like he feels he has to take on the opposition as much as possible.

Razors left peg
23/05/2008, 2:36 PM
Decent performance from McGeady last night. I liked the last 10 minutes when he just played 1 touch football. Pass and move. Excellent to watch and something we only really see from McGeady in friendlies or when the pressures off for some reason. Its like he feels he has to take on the opposition as much as possible.

I think that will come with experience, alot of young players are like that

BigmanCas
04/06/2008, 4:36 PM
For sure

EAFC_rdfl
17/07/2008, 12:20 PM
Aiden has signed a new 5 year contract to stay at celtic. great news for celtic, im sure plenty on here won't be too happy. I still see him moving though, maybe even as soon as this time next year, the new contract means celtic will be able to demand a good fee. everyone wins!! :D

Wolfie
17/07/2008, 12:31 PM
Aiden has signed a new 5 year contract to stay at celtic. great news for celtic, im sure plenty on here won't be too happy. I still see him moving though, maybe even as soon as this time next year, the new contract means celtic will be able to demand a good fee. everyone wins!! :D

Could end up the smart move. "A big fish in a small pond" element to this but there's nothing majorly wrong with performing well within a winning team.

Sunderland or Newcastle could have been the ruination of him at this stage of his career.

eirebhoy
17/07/2008, 1:27 PM
McGeady scored 2 in a closed doors game against Morton yesterday. O'Dea came off the bench. Cillian Sheridan injured himself slightly in pre-season but should definitely play in a few of the friendlies as Strachan rates him very highly.

eirebhoy
17/07/2008, 7:50 PM
McGeady:

"I'm just delighted to get this finalised. The discussions have been going on for a while now and it's great that we've all reached an agreement.

I always wanted to stay here. I'm a boyhood Celtic fan and there is the massive lure of playing in the Champions League every season. I think I have the right platform at Celtic to go on and progress as a player and that's what I'm hoping to do over the next few years.

Over the last 18 months, I think I've improved as a player but I've still got a long way to go. The challenge is to do it all again this season and be consistent. If I can do that, it would be a bigger achievement than last season.

I've still got a lot to learn and I want to work on every area of my game. I think I can improve my goal-scoring, tackling, heading, tracking back - the list could go on. I know I've still got a long way to go.

With the manager's guidance and the support of the players and coaching staff, I feel I can improve here. This is the right club for me."

Qwerty
17/07/2008, 10:15 PM
He took the safe option and probably the best option for his Ireland career short term. A move to the Premiership could be the making of him but if he failed it could be bad for us.

Junior
18/07/2008, 11:09 AM
Nothing safe about wanting to stay with a Celtic side going for 4 titles in a row and trying to improve on their recent Champions League performances, a regular 60k crowd who are not easy to please and have taken time to be convinced of McGeadys attributes (still plenty of moaners last year in the stands!) not to mention it is 'his' club and he obviously has no desire to go anywhere else at this stage

Plenty of recent examples of young starlets going south to england and looking $hite, Miller, Maloney etc....

He's had 1 great season and a few others with flashes of brilliance. In my opinion it was the smart thing to do not necessairly the easy one - god knows Im sure there would have been plenty more money on the table for him in England.

Onwards and upwards for the youngster this year - please god with some great performances in Georgia/Montenegro as well.......

Scram
19/07/2008, 7:09 PM
Nothing safe about wanting to stay with a Celtic side going for 4 titles in a row and trying to improve on their recent Champions League performances, a regular 60k crowd who are not easy to please and have taken time to be convinced of McGeadys attributes (still plenty of moaners last year in the stands!) not to mention it is 'his' club and he obviously has no desire to go anywhere else at this stage

Plenty of recent examples of young starlets going south to england and looking $hite, Miller, Maloney etc....

He's had 1 great season and a few others with flashes of brilliance. In my opinion it was the smart thing to do not necessairly the easy one - god knows Im sure there would have been plenty more money on the table for him in England.

Onwards and upwards for the youngster this year - please god with some great performances in Georgia/Montenegro as well.......

Well said

Diarmo
19/07/2008, 10:35 PM
What I like about McGeady's attitude is that he constantly admits he has room to improve. Compare that to the attitute of Stokes, Ireland etc., who seem to believe they're already superstars.

Colbert Report
20/07/2008, 12:12 AM
I'm a big big Celtic supporter but I'm disappointed in this new contract the lad has signed. I'm beginning to doubt his ambition. What else is left for him to accomplish at Celtic? He's knocked Manchester United out of the Champions League, won numerous SPL titles and individual awards. It is time to step up and face the big fish in England or Europe, not playing bogball up in Scotland against the likes of St. Mirren and Gretna.

therock67
20/07/2008, 1:46 PM
I'm a big big Celtic supporter but I'm disappointed in this new contract the lad has signed. I'm beginning to doubt his ambition. What else is left for him to accomplish at Celtic? He's knocked Manchester United out of the Champions League, won numerous SPL titles and individual awards. It is time to step up and face the big fish in England or Europe, not playing bogball up in Scotland against the likes of St. Mirren and Gretna.

Why you felt the need to pretend you're a "big big Celtic supporter" before posting that is beyond me. Have your opinion by all means but don't pretend you're a Celtic supporter.

Colbert Report
20/07/2008, 2:56 PM
I am a big big Celtic supporter. I love watching them play in the Champions League, never miss a match every year. I live in North America now so I have to take the afternoons off work to watch them play, all the Champions League matches kick off here at 12:44pm local time.

I'll watch them on Setanta when they are playing Rangers or it's a big match late in the season but that's about it. Why waste my time watching the likes of Dundee Utd when I can flip the channel and see one of the big four in England playing. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is.

I should point out, Liverpool are my team. I grew up in Kildare watching them and supporting them, so I guess Celtic would be my second team. The level of competition simply isn't there up in Scotland. One day, Celtic and Rangers will play either in the Premiership or in an All-Europe Superleague, so it won't matter anyway.

Soper
20/07/2008, 4:08 PM
There is a competition now called 'The Champions League'

SkStu
20/07/2008, 6:21 PM
Colbert Report, im not a celtic fan at all but any real Celtic fan would/should be over the moon that McGeady has
re-commited to the hoops. Any fan of any team would be over the moon to keep their best player.

GUISAUltra
20/07/2008, 6:34 PM
i think its the right move for McGeady. he's still developing as a footballer and he needs to be playing week in, week out at a club thats regularly winning trophies, if he's gonna progress to the level we'd all like. you just have to look at what happened liam millers career after he left celtic to see the dangers of moving to the premership for a young footballer. if McGeady had a few bad games in the PL then he'd get dropped and he might struggle to get his place back. having him sitting on the bench for most of the year wont help anyone

boovidge
20/07/2008, 8:48 PM
I am a big big Celtic supporter. I love watching them play in the Champions League, never miss a match every year. I live in North America now so I have to take the afternoons off work to watch them play, all the Champions League matches kick off here at 12:44pm local time.

I'll watch them on Setanta when they are playing Rangers or it's a big match late in the season but that's about it. Why waste my time watching the likes of Dundee Utd when I can flip the channel and see one of the big four in England playing. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is.

I should point out, Liverpool are my team. I grew up in Kildare watching them and supporting them, so I guess Celtic would be my second team. The level of competition simply isn't there up in Scotland. One day, Celtic and Rangers will play either in the Premiership or in an All-Europe Superleague, so it won't matter anyway.

by that logic im a big big chelsea fan because i watched some of their games on tv last year.

Colbert Report
21/07/2008, 12:06 AM
I'm from Cork, I'm a big Cork City supporter but I was still happy when O'Donovan got his big move to Sunderland. How is this any different? I'm supposed to stick with watching Cork City week in and week out even though there is clearly far better quality football available just a remote click away?

Louth4sam
21/07/2008, 9:26 AM
Sure why bother getting married i'm sure there is far better looking women just a remote click away too!

gustavo
21/07/2008, 10:14 AM
I'm from Cork, I'm a big Cork City supporter but I was still happy when O'Donovan got his big move to Sunderland. How is this any different? I'm supposed to stick with watching Cork City week in and week out even though there is clearly far better quality football available just a remote click away?

I might be in a crazy minority here but I'm never really happy when the best players at my club leave

seanfhear
21/07/2008, 2:09 PM
Sure why bother getting married i'm sure there is far better looking women just a remote click away too!
that makes perfect sense to me if only it were true

youngirish
21/07/2008, 2:13 PM
that makes perfect sense to me if only it were true

What's wrong with your television set?

seanfhear
21/07/2008, 2:16 PM
What's wrong with your television set?
I think you know what i meant and its not just looking

micls
21/07/2008, 2:26 PM

I think your definition of 'big supporter' is slightly different than the majority on here.

minty
22/07/2008, 11:26 AM
o'donovan took his goal brilliantly against sporting lisbon on sunday night

eirebhoy
24/07/2008, 8:41 PM
Exactly.

I always say it but look at Franck Ribery. At the age of 21 he was playing in the French 3rd tier. It was his 3rd season in the 3rd division with his 3rd different club. Very similar player to McGeady.
Just watching Setanta and Mark McGhee and John Hartson are the pundits. They're talking about McGeady. McGhee said he remembers talking to Strachan about Ribery and how similar he is to McGeady. He said that Ribery was a quicker thinker but McGeady began to bring that into his game last season. He says he has the potential to be world class.

drinkfeckarse
25/07/2008, 7:47 AM
He says he has the potential to be world class.

He hasn't got that far to go IMO to be regarded as that. If he's as consistent this year as he was last year then that'll probably do it. Still want to see more goals though.

irishultra
28/07/2008, 9:10 PM
Can someone tell me how McGeady did against Hutton.

Maroon 7
28/07/2008, 9:42 PM
Can someone tell me how McGeady did against Hutton.

From what I remember of those games Hutton usually tried to kick him off the pitch.

eirebhoy
30/07/2008, 10:47 PM
A one and half hour long documentary about McGeady on Celtic TV next Tuesday at 7.30. It's called "From Boy to Bhoy".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMqITtGDEQ0&fmt=6

Looking forward to it.