PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

tricky_colour
06/03/2012, 4:27 PM
You're full of sh1te.
(and so's McGeady if that mars bar stuff is true)

Ha! ha! :rofl:
It's not really true, I twisted it around a bit for comic effect. :rofl:

I can't remember exactly what was said but I managed to find it on the web, there is a video of the interview and the transcript below

http://rt.com/sport/football/miss-old-firm-mcgeady-now/

This is the relevant part of the transcript but it is worth watching the video as well at about

RT: And just finally Aiden, on a lighter note – Is there anything you miss about Scotland and home, you know, the deep-fried Mars Bars or Irn-Bru?

AM: Deep-fried Mars Bars? What a stereotype that is! I’ve never actually had a deep-friend Mars Bar. Of course there’s home comforts you miss – I think the main thing that you miss is being able just to nip around and see your parents and friends. But that's obviously part of life. I do miss the odd fish and chips and stuff like that as well. You don't get much of that over here. And the Russian cuisine isn't quite for me.

tricky_colour
06/03/2012, 4:49 PM
I think that's 20 assists for McGeady at Spartak. It was very similar to his 'chipper' for Andrews to nod home in Estonia.
The same cross that the RTE panellists said was poor and left all the work for Andrews to score.

It certainly gets the ball into the danger area and gives the strikers a chance, which is infinity preferably to a pacey whipping in cross
over everyone's heads and out of play, ie no end product.

geysir
06/03/2012, 5:04 PM
I'd look at it differently. You seem to think that they were reluctant to praise McGeady, whereas I think they just wanted to emphasise how much Andrews still had to do. McGeady just lofted it into a good area, but it wasn't one of those crosses that just needed to be directed without generating any force.

McGeady looked up and picked out Andrews.
And compare the damning praise they gave to McGeady with the consensus of profuse praise they dished out to Robbie for his lob towards the head of Walters for his goal. No big debate or any attempt to minimise the quality.

Charlie Darwin
06/03/2012, 5:13 PM
Of all the stupid conversations the RTE panel have had, that was one of the worst. It's almost as if they'd have preferred if he'd whipped it in and Andrews hadn't been able to get anywhere near it. Fact is Makgidi picked the perfect cross for the situation he was in - he couldn't afford to wait two seconds for Andrews to catch up because the defenders would have blocked the cross. He put an inch perfect cross into Andrews' path and relied on The Scorer of Important Goals to do what he does best.

geysir
28/03/2012, 9:19 AM
McGeady feud rumours (http://www.scotsman.com/news/clubs-eye-mcgeady-after-fall-out-with-manager-1-2199726)

Clubs eye McGeady after fall-out with manager
a top pundit claims there are now tensions in his relationship with his boss.

“Why does McGeady look so awful now?” asked former Soviet star Yevgeny Lovchev. “Physically, he doesn’t seem in the best condition, it’s true. But there also appears to be a psychological problem.

“It looks as if he does not want to play for his current team any more. He is an Irish international but Valeri Karpin does not trust him, resulting in the player losing the spark which ignited his performances last year.”

Junior
29/03/2012, 3:07 PM
Interview with Russian Football correspondent on Off the Ball last night about this subject (Starts on 27mins 10secs)

http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast/61373/?uniqueID=1759784

Carrigaline
30/03/2012, 9:40 AM
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120328/172446814.html

Bilyaletdinov has fractured his metatarsal, good news for McGeady.

EastTerracer
31/03/2012, 2:09 PM
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120328/172446814.html

Bilyaletdinov has fractured his metatarsal, good news for McGeady.

Despite Billy Lad's injury McGeady is only on the bench again today for the home game with Zenit.

EastTerracer
31/03/2012, 3:09 PM
Spartak 1-0 down at half-time so Aiden is on for the second half. Plenty of streams available online.

Carrigaline
31/03/2012, 3:12 PM
Despite Billy Lad's injury McGeady is only on the bench again today for the home game with Zenit.
Came on at half time, Spartak 1-0 down.

Carrigaline
31/03/2012, 3:33 PM
Having a stinker so far.

EastTerracer
31/03/2012, 3:59 PM
Spartak lose 2-1. McGeady had a great chance to equalise in the last three minutes but fluffed his header.

seanfhear
01/04/2012, 8:09 AM
There was a glimpse of improvement in Aidens performances after about 6 months or so in Russia but he has regressed back to his old ways of little or no final product.

He is a player that has not improved since his early days and its get less and less likely that he will improve.

Sadly he is one of these players that showed early promise but has not fulfilled it for whatever reason.

AlaskaFox
01/04/2012, 9:31 AM

Bilyaletidinov wasn't a guaranteed starter anyway. Ari was dire yesterday too, McGeady wasn't much better, but I don't think the manager is getting the best out of the players any more.

tetsujin1979
08/04/2012, 10:52 AM
Reports in the Sun today that McGeady has fallen out of favour with Karpin and will be sold for 12.5m

Olé Olé
08/04/2012, 12:28 PM
Novel and all as it was for Aiden to be plying his trade in Russia, it'd be great to see the man test himself in the Premiership. He's constantly linked with Villa but given N'Zogbia's plight there maybe he'd be better served elsewhere. The problem for a lot of clubs is that he'd command a fee somewhere around £10million and if you look at the Premier League table, other than the top teams, not many would be willing to extend that outlay on a winger.

Irish_Praha
08/04/2012, 12:38 PM
Novel and all as it was for Aiden to be plying his trade in Russia, it'd be great to see the man test himself in the Premiership. He's constantly linked with Villa but given N'Zogbia's plight there maybe he'd be better served elsewhere. The problem for a lot of clubs is that he'd command a fee somewhere around £10million and if you look at the Premier League table, other than the top teams, not many would be willing to extend that outlay on a winger.

Maybe West Ham if they get promoted or QPR if they don't get religated.
Newcastle might also be an option if any of the 'bigger' clubs come in for some of their players after such a great season.

EastTerracer
08/04/2012, 2:39 PM
McGeady is back in the starting eleven for Spartak's home game against Kuban Krasnodar today. Game kicks-off at 3.45pm Irish time.

EastTerracer
08/04/2012, 4:31 PM
McGeady played 84 minutes and was taken off with Spartak 2-0 up. From the bits of the game I saw he played ok and Karpin gave him a pat on the back on his way off.

Olé Olé
08/04/2012, 4:55 PM
Maybe West Ham if they get promoted or QPR if they don't get religated.
Newcastle might also be an option if any of the 'bigger' clubs come in for some of their players after such a great season.

West Ham could be a good option indeed or QPR under Hughes' tutelage. Tony Pulis at Stoke has a liking for a decent wingers to feed the big guys up top, not sure whether McGeady would be under his radar. Using the Euro's as a shop window to attract a good calibre of team is surely among his priorities.

Just checked out the stats on Aiden there. 47 caps and just turned 26. Impressive.

Charlie Darwin
08/04/2012, 9:13 PM
McGeady played 84 minutes and was taken off with Spartak 2-0 up. From the bits of the game I saw he played ok and Karpin gave him a pat on the back on his way off.
To be fair, while it seems to be the case that Karpin is an egomaniac, it's hardly unusual for a manager to freeze out a player to get a positive reaction.

Kingdom
09/04/2012, 8:25 PM

He'd be better off away from the EPl.

Irish_Praha
09/04/2012, 9:14 PM
He'd be better off away from the EPl.

Yeah, would love to see him in the Bundesliga

BonnieShels
10/04/2012, 7:55 PM
Yeah, would love to see him in the Bundesliga

Completely. He'll go even further backwards in England. I think he has hit the maximum he can improve in Russia. He needs a better league, that isn't English.

the bear
10/04/2012, 10:26 PM
Completely. He'll go even further backwards in England. I think he has hit the maximum he can improve in Russia. He needs a better league, that isn't English.

why so many people against him playing in england?

Charlie Darwin
10/04/2012, 10:33 PM
It depends on what club he went to - the Premier League is no more an amorphous whole than the Spanish or German league. David Silva, for one, has become a better player since moving to England. Signing for somebody like Aston Villa would be a regressive step but I think a place like Liverpool or Spurs would undoubtedly help improve his game further.

the bear
11/04/2012, 3:31 PM
agree, he could just as easily end up in a poor side on the continent. spurs would be a dream move for him, and not altogether unrealistic

geysir
11/04/2012, 7:46 PM
A poor side couldn't afford to sign him.

Irish_Praha
11/04/2012, 9:02 PM
A poor side couldn't afford to sign him.

Liverpool

Carrigaline
15/04/2012, 2:09 PM
McGeady played the entire game of Spartak's 2-0 victory over Rubin Kazan. Victory was vital for Spartak as it pushes them into the final Champions League spot. McGeady had a decent game, worked hard defensively, switched wings a few times and show one particular bit of outrageous skill. If McGeady stayed at Spartak and played regular, I wouldn't have a problem with him playing in Russia. Quality of the league is actually decent.

Olé Olé
15/04/2012, 2:51 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/england/2012/04/14/aiden-mcgeady-linked-with-return-to-the-uk-as-sunderland-lead-12m-race-for-winger-86908-23823985/

This has been reported in a few locations but nothing concrete involved, mere speculation.

Sunderland are on an upward curve. How far up the table that curve brings them next season is debatable.

They also have Elmohamady, Larsson and Campbell who have all filled in on the right wing, with McClean the first choice on the left flank. Realistically, McGeady would have to displace either Larsson or McClean for a starting berth (presuming both are there next season).

He could also view McGeady as a replacement for Sessegnon, if he returns to PSG as has been heavily suggested. I doubt this is a likely outcome but merits a mention.

AlaskaFox
15/04/2012, 10:01 PM
McGeady played the entire game of Spartak's 2-0 victory over Rubin Kazan. Victory was vital for Spartak as it pushes them into the final Champions League spot. McGeady had a decent game, worked hard defensively, switched wings a few times and show one particular bit of outrageous skill. If McGeady stayed at Spartak and played regular, I wouldn't have a problem with him playing in Russia. Quality of the league is actually decent.

Here's the skill in question from today's game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzEUpA8QRgA

the bear
15/04/2012, 10:37 PM
thats the mcgeady turn apparently, don't remember him ever doing it for ireland. seen him do it for celtic alright. great move

Charlie Darwin
15/04/2012, 10:44 PM
The defender was lightning slow to react there. Not sure he'd get away with it in an international match.

the bear
15/04/2012, 10:55 PM
The defender was lightning slow to react there. Not sure he'd get away with it in an international match.

he could of gone around that fella in an artic lorry, maybe its one to keep for san marino

tricky_colour
15/04/2012, 11:53 PM
As the Fonz would say, he's still got it!!! :p

tricky_colour
16/04/2012, 12:05 AM
Looks like he has been practising them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzqDWY1ngMA&feature=relmfu

Seems fint is swedish for turn

bennocelt
16/04/2012, 7:21 AM
Still his crossing needs improving! Dont know much about the Russian league but he is wasted with that team especially with such an awful manager, cant believe he isnt sacked yet!

Carrigaline
16/04/2012, 8:44 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/england/2012/04/14/aiden-mcgeady-linked-with-return-to-the-uk-as-sunderland-lead-12m-race-for-winger-86908-23823985/

This has been reported in a few locations but nothing concrete involved, mere speculation.

Sunderland are on an upward curve. How far up the table that curve brings them next season is debatable.

They also have Elmohamady, Larsson and Campbell who have all filled in on the right wing, with McClean the first choice on the left flank. Realistically, McGeady would have to displace either Larsson or McClean for a starting berth (presuming both are there next season).

He could also view McGeady as a replacement for Sessegnon, if he returns to PSG as has been heavily suggested. I doubt this is a likely outcome but merits a mention.
Sunderland would be a step down from Spartak Moscow (in my opinion).

John83
16/04/2012, 11:09 AM
Zidane used to pull off similar turns at the highest level. It's all relative.

osarusan
16/04/2012, 12:13 PM
It's all relative.

Z=McG²

seanfhear
16/04/2012, 7:28 PM
Looks like he has been practising them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzqDWY1ngMA&feature=relmfu

Seems fint is swedish for turn

Here's the skill in question from today's game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzEUpA8QRgAIn fairness McGeady can dance with a football !

Now if he could learn to cross or deliver a good final ball then I would be bloody grateful.

tetsujin1979
16/04/2012, 9:11 PM
In fairness McGeady can dance with a football !

Now if he could learn to cross or deliver a good final ball then I would be bloody grateful.
most assists in the qualifiers.

geysir
16/04/2012, 9:50 PM
If only we had players who had a perfect game :)
McGeady getting past 2 players in a jiffy and sending a firm cross in behind the defence towards the toes of the Spartak striker, is not good enough for us.

bennocelt
17/04/2012, 7:46 AM
most assists in the qualifiers.

if only games could be played out on paper............

AlaskaFox
17/04/2012, 7:52 AM
if only games could be played out on paper............

http://i35.tinypic.com/2upvfhs.jpg

bennocelt
17/04/2012, 10:01 AM
Yeah, good one, but can Ireland win the world cup on that game?:D

(am I the only one who doesn't like this game?)

EastTerracer
28/04/2012, 3:51 PM
Moscow derby today - CSKA versus Spartak. McGeady got an assist for Spartak's equaliser just before half-time. Will update after the second half.

EDIT: Final score CSKA 2 Spartak 2. McGeady played the full 93 minutes and was one of Spartak's better performers in a disappointing overall performance.

AlaskaFox
29/04/2012, 9:10 AM
They lost 2-1, wasn't 2-2. Terrible own goal for the first, lovely free for CSKA's second. McGeady's assist is just after 1:50 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aeWinvk1hw

geysir
29/04/2012, 9:46 AM
That 2nd CSKA goal from the freekick, one of the players in the wall stuck out his elbow to deflect the ball into the net, dreadful. Though it would/should/could have been a penalty for CSKA, if the ball hadn't ended up in the net.