PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

Billsthoughts
21/04/2008, 1:15 PM
Oh sorry he plays for Celtic...must not point out the emperors lack of clothes.:rolleyes: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

lionelhutz
21/04/2008, 2:02 PM
He needs to sign for a top team, none of the Newcastles or Middlesboroughs or Villa's. Maybe Spurs or a top four team, but realistically hes gotta look for a bigger club whos playing champs league!

I don't see how Spurs could be rated a better prospect than Villa. Just had a look at the Premier league there, Villa are 16 points ahead of Spurs. Granted, Spurs have a good manager in Ramos and will probably buy in the summer but I'd still back Villa to finish ahead of Spurs next year with O'Neill at the helm and cash available to him too.

Actually, Spurs are level on points with Newcastle who most people would agree have had an abysmal season

livehead1
21/04/2008, 2:32 PM
I don't see how Spurs could be rated a better prospect than Villa. Just had a look at the Premier league there, Villa are 16 points ahead of Spurs. Granted, Spurs have a good manager in Ramos and will probably buy in the summer but I'd still back Villa to finish ahead of Spurs next year with O'Neill at the helm and cash available to him too.

Actually, Spurs are level on points with Newcastle who most people would agree have had an abysmal season

So by your logic if he moved last season you would have preferred him going to Reading as opposed to Aston Villa?

lionelhutz
21/04/2008, 3:14 PM
So by your logic if he moved last season you would have preferred him going to Reading as opposed to Aston Villa?

Thats just a idiotic post. Ya thats what I meant............. Reading last year was always going to be a one off as they don't have the players or the income to maintain that high level. Just like Ipswich a few years back when they finished fourth. Villa, on the other hand, have a major financial backer as well as the support and structure to consistently finish in the top 6. Add to that a top class manager like O'Neill and excellent young players such as Gardner, Young and Agbonlahor and you've got a pretty strong foundation for success.

To be honest, I shouldn't respond to your "well thought out" post but since you obviously know nothing about football, I thought I'd try to give you a bit of info

eirebhoy
21/04/2008, 3:27 PM
I love this comment from McGeady:
"I am glad I managed to climb out of Nacho Novo's pocket twice to win both awards."

:D

Wolfie
21/04/2008, 3:30 PM
I love this comment from McGeady:
"I am glad I managed to climb out of Nacho Novo's pocket twice to win both awards."

Is Nacho Novo the BFG? :)

eirebhoy
21/04/2008, 3:38 PM
:) Just in case anyone doesn't know what he's talking about... McGeady and Novo had a bit of a fight after the match last week. Novo said this afterwards:

"I don't know what happened there. I had him in my back pocket probably. But I didn't tell him that!"

backstothewall
21/04/2008, 7:45 PM

What an idiotic post

Since the start of the league Aston Villa have picked up 3969 points in the top flight to Tottenhams 3066

Since the start of the premierhip Aston Villa have picked up 825 points to Tottenhams 770.

Aston Villa have won

1 x European Cup
7 x League titles
7 x FA cups
5 x League Cups

Spurs have won

2 x League titles
2 x Uefa Cup
8 x FA cup
4 x League Cup

Villa Park holds 42,640
White Hart Lane holds 36,310

Aston Villa are also founder members of the league.

What those stats mean on their own is debatable, but added together they mean that to suggest Aston Villa are somehow a lower ranking club than Spurs is nonsense. They have been more successful throughout the years, and in recent history by most if not all measures.

Their current team is also easily out performing Spurs in the EPL, and would be a great move for any of our players who can get a game there, as they have been in the past for McGrath, Staunton, Houghton, Townsend et al

SkStu
21/04/2008, 9:15 PM
i have to say, i believe Aston Villa to be a no-mark club and the graveyard of ambition. Id much rather see him move to Spurs.

DmanDmythDledge
21/04/2008, 10:34 PM

Spurs got off to a very poor start under Jol. Ramos has turned things round and would probably be comfortably in the top half if you took the table from when he took over.

Villa would be a bad move for him though, no point of him leaving Celtic to sit on the bench.

livehead1
21/04/2008, 10:50 PM
What an idiotic post

Since the start of the league Aston Villa have picked up 3969 points in the top flight to Tottenhams 3066

Since the start of the premierhip Aston Villa have picked up 825 points to Tottenhams 770.

Aston Villa have won

1 x European Cup
7 x League titles
7 x FA cups
5 x League Cups

Spurs have won

2 x League titles
2 x Uefa Cup
8 x FA cup
4 x League Cup

Villa Park holds 42,640
White Hart Lane holds 36,310

Aston Villa are also founder members of the league.

What those stats mean on their own is debatable, but added together they mean that to suggest Aston Villa are somehow a lower ranking club than Spurs is nonsense. They have been more successful throughout the years, and in recent history by most if not all measures.

Their current team is also easily out performing Spurs in the EPL, and would be a great move for any of our players who can get a game there, as they have been in the past for McGrath, Staunton, Houghton, Townsend et al
there was nothing idiotic about my post. If you had the ability to read things in their correct intended context then you would understand. Seeing as though you don't seem to have that ability I shall spell it out for you.

The main reason put forward for McGeady going to Villa as opposed to Spurs was because Villa are way ahead of Spurs in the league this season.

Quote:
(I don't see how Spurs could be rated a better prospect than Villa. Just had a look at the Premier league there, Villa are 16 points ahead of Spurs. )
My point being that just because Villa are ahead of them this season, does not mean they would necessarily be a better move; hence the Reading example which I gave.

Now, on the subject of idiotic posts. This must be contagious. You have decided to list the clubs various trophy hauls to demonstrate the similarities between the two clubs. What a stupid thing to do. Here is why:

Chelsea FC
2 Leagues
4 FA Cups
4 League Cups

Nottingham Forest
1 League
2 Fa Cups
4 League Cups
2 European Cups

Which would be a better move for McGeady?

boovidge
22/04/2008, 12:49 AM
to be honest Forest would probably be a better move than chelsea!

Wolfie
22/04/2008, 7:19 AM
:) Just in case anyone doesn't know what he's talking about... McGeady and Novo had a bit of a fight after the match last week. Novo said this afterwards:

"I don't know what happened there. I had him in my back pocket probably. But I didn't tell him that!"

Nice :cool: :D

Seagull-4-life
22/04/2008, 7:56 AM
Can't believe there's 74 pages talking about McGeady...fairly mad!

eirebhoy
22/04/2008, 9:12 AM
"It was a bit of a shock to win both awards on Sunday night, I didn't expect it. To get one of them would have been fantastic, to get both was exceptional. Since I've come into the first team at Celtic, I have struggled to get consistency into my game.

"I would have a good spell for three or four months, then have another three or four months where I wasn't playing at my best. This season, though, I feel I have managed to maintain a good level of consistency which is pleasing.

"There are still loads of things I can improve upon in my own game. I can still score more goals. I've only scored once in the second half of the season, eight in total, which is not a lot. I can still improve my crossing, as well as my tackling and heading. The list could go on.

"I think the responsibility I have on my shoulders is already pretty big, to be honest. I am relied upon to go and create things and make things happen. It's a responsibility I'm happy with and that I thrive on. It's good being one of those players who gets people out of their seats, having the fans expecting you to create something because you have the ability to do it.

"I've noticed recently that teams are starting to double up on me, the right midfielder coming back to help the right-back mark me. It's tough, but things like that can create space for other players so the team can use it to our advantage. It's a compliment to me. If they didn't try and mark you out of the game, then they obviously wouldn't see you as a threat or rate you as a player.

"I have a contract here for the next three years and it wouldn't be my decision if I moved on. I'm happy at Celtic, I want to develop here and I have got the right players around me to do that."

Plastic Paddy
22/04/2008, 11:07 AM
"I have a contract here for the next three years and it wouldn't be my decision if I moved on. I'm happy at Celtic, I want to develop here and I have got the right players around me to do that."

Excellent stuff. Perhaps the posters who would have him punted to some also-ran EPL team in order to "progress" might care to take note.

:ball: PP

Shedender81
22/04/2008, 11:26 AM
there was nothing idiotic about my post. If you had the ability to read things in their correct intended context then you would understand. Seeing as though you don't seem to have that ability I shall spell it out for you.

The main reason put forward for McGeady going to Villa as opposed to Spurs was because Villa are way ahead of Spurs in the league this season.

Quote:
(I don't see how Spurs could be rated a better prospect than Villa. Just had a look at the Premier league there, Villa are 16 points ahead of Spurs. )
My point being that just because Villa are ahead of them this season, does not mean they would necessarily be a better move; hence the Reading example which I gave.

Now, on the subject of idiotic posts. This must be contagious. You have decided to list the clubs various trophy hauls to demonstrate the similarities between the two clubs. What a stupid thing to do. Here is why:

Chelsea FC
2 Leagues
4 FA Cups
4 League Cups

Nottingham Forest
1 League
2 Fa Cups
4 League Cups
2 European Cups

Which would be a better move for McGeady?

Chelsea won the League 3 times

backstothewall
22/04/2008, 10:23 PM
Chelsea won the League 3 times

:D Never thought Chelsea winning the league 3 times could ever make me laugh :D

for what its worth i listed a combination of all time honours, all time performance, modern performance and facilities. Then i put the combination of those in context.

Livehead, the fact that you can't appreciate how several different pieces of an argument can come together to a greater meaning, and instead picked out one section and rammed away at it like an elephant in heat says more than i ever could, or ever needed to say.

Getting back to the point delighted he's staying at Celtic. would really like to see Celtic go 433 with him on the right of the 3, and McFadden on the opposite if Birmingham go down.

Especially if Nakamura goes back to Japan. He seems to have spent most of the season in the treatment room, even if he still has a hell of a left peg on him

EAFC_rdfl
28/04/2008, 2:16 PM
another very good assist from McGeady for Celtics 2nd goal yesterday. Think he played fairly well over all, hope the SPL doesn't get extended or he may miss out on the 1st trapatonni get together

Billsthoughts
28/04/2008, 3:01 PM
Excellent stuff. Perhaps the posters who would have him punted to some also-ran EPL team in order to "progress" might care to take note.

An also ran EPL team would still be a few steps up from Scotlands second team. He seems happy enough being a big fish in a small pond.

tetsujin1979
28/04/2008, 3:07 PM
An also ran EPL team would still be a few steps up from Scotlands second team. He seems happy enough being a big fish in a small pond.
Not many also ran EPL teams in the second round of the Champions' League. He's still only 22, and to some degree learning his trade. Plenty of time for him to move on in the future.

Stuttgart88
28/04/2008, 3:15 PM
An also ran EPL team would still be a few steps up from Scotlands second team. He seems happy enough being a big fish in a small pond.The problem with McGeady going to a mid or low ranking English team is that they play such an attritious style of football that they have no room for McGeady's type of player. Survival is the name of the game for all but a handful of clubs in the EPL. It makes me laugh how English clubs target UEFA Cup qualification but once they get there they treat the competition as a sideshow.

I'd be happy, as eirebhoy used regularly say, for our attacking players to play for a club like Celtic but goalkeepers or experienced defenders to be facing tougher opposition.

Billsthoughts
28/04/2008, 3:33 PM
Not many also ran EPL teams in the second round of the Champions' League. He's still only 22, and to some degree learning his trade. Plenty of time for him to move on in the future.

Liverpool have won it and reached the final and havent challenged for the premiership in over ten years.

jmurphyc
28/04/2008, 3:44 PM
Liverpool have won it and reached the final and havent challenged for the premiership in over ten years.

Yes and Chelsea and Man Utd have won the premiership and neither has won the CL in 9 years. Celtic reaching the second round is an achievement and IMO they are better than most "also ran" EPL teams. Playing in the Champions League is more difficult than playing in the EPL.

Billsthoughts
28/04/2008, 4:00 PM
Would disagree with you there....firstly both Man U and Chelsea have much better records than Celtic or Rangers in the Champions League. Secondly its hard to win it out right with out knocking out a couple of decent teams. Whereas its not overly difficult to get out of the group stages whilst not setting the world alight. As proved by both Celtic this year and Rangers the year before.

Plastic Paddy
28/04/2008, 4:05 PM

That's a really ****-poor attempt at trolling. Why don't you add something constructive rather than blatantly attempt the wind-up?

0/10. Must do better.

Billsthoughts
28/04/2008, 4:14 PM
eh the only person trolling is you with that comment. :mad: blatant attempt to get someone else banned. pathetic.

tetsujin1979
28/04/2008, 4:25 PM
Would disagree with you there....firstly both Man U and Chelsea have much better records than Celtic or Rangers in the Champions League.Both have far more money to spend on players too

Secondly its hard to win it out right with out knocking out a couple of decent teams. Whereas its not overly difficult to get out of the group stages whilst not setting the world alight. As proved by both Celtic this year and Rangers the year before.Rangers didn't play in the Champions' League last season, and didn't get out of the group stages this season.

Billsthoughts
28/04/2008, 4:33 PM
Both have far more money to spend on players too
Rangers didn't play in the Champions' League last season, and didn't get out of the group stages this season.

:rolleyes:
Whatever year they got to the second round. Irrelevant what year they done this. As you well know. Fact is they didnt set the world on fire when they did.
Fact is qualifying from group stage of champions league does not a great club make.

Plastic Paddy
28/04/2008, 4:36 PM
eh the only person trolling is you with that comment. :mad: blatant attempt to get someone else banned. pathetic.

If I wanted you banned I could have done it before now with this (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=813139&postcount=455) or this (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=816435&postcount=10). I regard you as a minor irritation - like a lump of chewing gum on the sole of my shoe - rather than anything more substantial.

jmurphyc
28/04/2008, 5:41 PM
:rolleyes:
Whatever year they got to the second round. Irrelevant what year they done this. As you well know. Fact is they didnt set the world on fire when they did.
Fact is qualifying from group stage of champions league does not a great club make.

Earlier you implied that Liverpool (who won the competition) were an also ran team. Rangers knocked out Porto (a team who won the competition previously and went on to win a domestic double that season I believe) and Celtic have knocked out some decent teams en route to the second stage. Whilst it's not particularly difficult for one of the teams thart perenially qualify for the competition from the top European leagues to get to the knockout stage, it takes a decent team from the lower echelon of leagues in Europe to do so consistently (which Scottish teams seem to be getting better at).

All of this is going off topic a bit though. All I'm really trying to say is that whilst the Scottish league is quite poor IMO, the achievement of Celtic and Rangers getting past the group stages of Europe shouldn't be knocked. They've always gone out to teams of vastly superior quality to them (and to most of the teams in the EPL). Besides, if they weren't getting through the group stages you'd probably be saying that you'd only be impressed if they were getting out of them.

Billsthoughts
29/04/2008, 8:14 AM
If I wanted you banned I could have done it before now with this (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=813139&postcount=455) or this (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=816435&postcount=10). I regard you as a minor irritation - like a lump of chewing gum on the sole of my shoe - rather than anything more substantial.

HA Ha...do you have a file on me or what....sad ...

Billsthoughts
29/04/2008, 8:22 AM
Earlier you implied that Liverpool (who won the competition) were an also ran team.......................

No I simply pointed out that they havent challenged for the Premiership in a long time. Yet they have got to two finals of Champions League and won one of them. The implication being its hard to do well in the premiership even given Liverpools resources. People were implying that Celtic are a cut above the average Premiership teams because they have qualified out of the group stages of Champions League. I doubt they would come anywhere near the Champions League spot if they were competing in the Premiership. At the end of the day champions league is a knockout tournament.

ifk101
29/04/2008, 8:47 AM
Aiden's probably saving himself for a Spanish league club (maybe you can confirm this BigmanCas ;)).

Personally don't think that moving to a Premiership club would be a good move for Aiden as the Premiership has little room for players that like to play as Aiden does. Only the top teams can afford to have a player of McGeady's type in the team and Aiden's not good enough for these teams.

One example. Bolton had a Swedish player at the start of the season called Christian Wilhelmsson. Wilhelmsson would be a very similar player to McGeady but he never got his game for Boton. He moved to Deportivo La Coruna during the transfer window and he's really done well down in Spain. I watched him play against Barcelona at the weekend and he was one if not the best player on the park.

Moral of the story is that it's probably better for McGeady to stay put as he's a first team player with Celtic rather than moving to a club like Bolton that won't give him a game. If he moves to the Premiership I think he'll turn into a reserve team player as I don't think he has enough in his game to establish himself as a top Premiership player.

BigmanCas
29/04/2008, 9:33 AM
Aiden's probably saving himself for a Spanish league club (maybe you can confirm this BigmanCas ;)).

Personally don't think that moving to a Premiership club would be a good move for Aiden as the Premiership has little room for players that like to play as Aiden does. Only the top teams can afford to have a player of McGeady's type in the team and Aiden's not good enough for these teams.

One example. Bolton had a Swedish player at the start of the season called Christian Wilhelmsson. Wilhelmsson would be a very similar player to McGeady but he never got his game for Boton. He moved to Deportivo La Coruna during the transfer window and he's really done well down in Spain. I watched him play against Barcelona at the weekend and he was one if not the best player on the park.

Moral of the story is that it's probably better for McGeady to stay put as he's a first team player with Celtic rather than moving to a club like Bolton that won't give him a game. If he moves to the Premiership I think he'll turn into a reserve team player as I don't think he has enough in his game to establish himself as a top Premiership player.

You know nothing!! Bill go away!!

Billsthoughts
29/04/2008, 9:46 AM
your a gas man BMC.

ifk101
29/04/2008, 9:52 AM
You know nothing!! Bill go away!!

But you said in Feb of this year, prior to the Barcelona games and I quote

I think later in my career I would like to play in Spain. Every player has aspirations to play in the best league.

The top four in the English Premier League are top quality but La Liga is so competitive, anybody can beat anyone else. You sometimes see the bottom teams beating the top ones, which doesn't happen in most leagues.

You have the top teams such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia and Villarreal but outside of that there are plenty of good teams as well.

Stuttgart88
29/04/2008, 7:45 PM
Just on the point of how good or bad Celtic are, 5 or 6 years ago I'd have said they were a top 6 EPL team under O'Neill. Now, despite doing better in Europe (only marginally - they still win at home lose away all the time) I honestly think they'd only just about stay in the EPL, their considerable home advantage notwithsanding. They are carrying several sub standard players IMHO, Hesselink, Cauldwell and a few others esp. in central midfield.

irishfan86
29/04/2008, 8:57 PM
Just on the point of how good or bad Celtic are, 5 or 6 years ago I'd have said they were a top 6 EPL team under O'Neill. Now, despite doing better in Europe (only marginally - they still win at home lose away all the time) I honestly think they'd only just about stay in the EPL, their considerable home advantage notwithsanding. They are carrying several sub standard players IMHO, Hesselink, Cauldwell and a few others esp. in central midfield.

I think Scott Brown and Hartley would do well in the EPL. I agree that Donati would probably struggle, and I wouldn't argue with your assessment of Hesselink and Caldwell.

Out of Celtic's team, here are the players I think would do well in the Premiership:

--------------Boruc------

Hinkel---O'Dea?----McManus---Naylor?

Naka---Brown---Hartley---McGeady

------MacDonald----New Striker---

Add a new striker (target man?), and another central defender plus a left back and you've got a top ten Premiership team at worst, at best they'd be competing for UEFA Cup spots.

geysir
29/04/2008, 10:14 PM
The SPL is rated joint 6th in European performances this year (that also includes the usual Uefa first round knock out for the SFA Cup runners up).

An improvement from last year when the EPL was rated the 9th strongest league.

eirebhoy
30/04/2008, 11:00 AM
I thought McGeady played really well against Rangers. Most of the things he tried came off. Good to see Duff, Keane, Reid, Given and Carr were in the crowd too to see McGeady at his best.

Closed Account
30/04/2008, 9:48 PM
Sunderland, Newcastle vie for McGeady

April 30, 2008

Sunderland manager Roy Keane and Newcastle United counterpart Kevin Keegan are leading the race for Celtic and Republic of Ireland star Aiden McGeady, according to reports.

McGeady has enjoyed an exceptional season, lifting both the outright and Young Player of the Year awards at the Scottish Footballers’ Association’s annual awards ceremony last week.

The 22-year-old’s level of form has seen him linked with a move to the Barclays Premier League, and both Sunderland and Newcastle are keen to bring him to the north-east.

Both clubs could be attractive to McGeady, given that he would not have to travel too far from his family in Glasgow.

Reports in the United Kingdom on Wednesday suggest that an offer of £10m could be enough to prise him away from Parkhead before the start of next season.
Don't know where this is from, robbed from forum.football365.com

stiffler
30/04/2008, 10:10 PM
I dont think Celtic would turn down a bid of £10 Million for him.

Id love to see him play in the premiership every week, I think Sunderland would be a good move for him.

Guaranteed starter, and a manager who would have faith in his abilities, as well as keeping him in line.

eekers
01/05/2008, 5:45 AM
makes little sense for either newcastle or sunderland to buy him, neither of them need a left winger. newcastle have duff and nzogbia. sunderland spend a fortune on richardson last summer. its crap based on keegan living in glasgow (he didnt go to any celtic games during that time) and keane being irish. i can see him ending up at spurs if they dont get capel.

irishfan86
01/05/2008, 5:48 AM
makes little sense for either newcastle or sunderland to buy him, neither of them need a left winger. newcastle have duff and nzogbia. sunderland spend a fortune on richardson last summer. its crap based on keegan living in glasgow (he didnt go to any celtic games during that time) and keane being irish. i can see him ending up at spurs if they dont get capel.

While I would agree that Newcastle seems a bit unlikely, beyond Richardson and Edwards, Sunderland don't have much wing cover.

Currently Murphy is their cover in that position, and while he's done well enough, I'd say McGeady is leaps and bounds ahead of him overall and would thus be a smart signing for them.

BigmanCas
01/05/2008, 11:47 AM
While I would agree that Newcastle seems a bit unlikely, beyond Richardson and Edwards, Sunderland don't have much wing cover.

Currently Murphy is their cover in that position, and while he's done well enough, I'd say McGeady is leaps and bounds ahead of him overall and would thus be a smart signing for them.

He will stay at Celtic for another season and will then move to a top four premiership club. Mark my words!!!!!

lionelhutz
02/05/2008, 12:05 PM
I think Scott Brown and Hartley would do well in the EPL. I agree that Donati would probably struggle, and I wouldn't argue with your assessment of Hesselink and Caldwell.

Out of Celtic's team, here are the players I think would do well in the Premiership:

--------------Boruc------

Hinkel---O'Dea?----McManus---Naylor?

Naka---Brown---Hartley---McGeady

------MacDonald----New Striker---

Add a new striker (target man?), and another central defender plus a left back and you've got a top ten Premiership team at worst, at best they'd be competing for UEFA Cup spots.

You've got to be kidding me with these 3. Naylor would be by far the worst left back in the premiership - he's much worse than Kilbane.

Hartley doesn't have a clue in central midfield, he'd be completely over ran and outplayed by every midfield in England and as for MacDonald, i'd rate David Connolly a much higher quality player than him and he's the 7th best striker at Sunderland.

BigmanCas
02/05/2008, 12:15 PM
Please note folks. When Trapp was asked which players he likes in the current squad - He smiled and said 'Mc Geady'...'I fancy Mc Geady as a footballer... Good to see a man with a bit of sense. Bill maybe you might wake up and take some notice (albeit your not the only one)!!

Billsthoughts
02/05/2008, 12:44 PM
Please note folks. When Trapp was asked which players he likes in the current squad - He smiled and said 'Mc Geady'...'I fancy Mc Geady as a footballer... Good to see a man with a bit of sense. Bill maybe you might wake up and take some notice (albeit your not the only one)!!

I fancy him as a footballer as well.
Just dont think he has EVER done it for Ireland.

jbyrne
02/05/2008, 12:57 PM
An also ran EPL team would still be a few steps up from Scotlands second team.

eh, have a look at celtics recent record in euro competition against english teams and come back to us if you stand by that claim

also, how many of the english teams in the uefa cup got to the final this year and how many scottish?

usual anti SPL V EPL propaganda