PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

DeLorean
05/01/2016, 2:03 PM
I didn't think they were so bad that he deserved to lose his place in the squad initially but they have a lot of strength in depth. Mirallas can't get a start either and he has produced far more in an Everton shirt, though he does see some game time at least. With Kone an unlikely starter these days it has made it even more difficult to break in. Deulofeu has been outrageously good really, especially in terms of end product, a stick always used to beat McGeady with. Maybe Lennon is seen as a better alternative for certain situations, as he has more pace than skill. I can understand that logic if so. I can't help wondering if it's an attitude thing as much as anything else though with McGeady, given the extent to which he's been frozen out, but it's probably a combination of everything.

KK77
07/01/2016, 11:15 AM
He's only young he will come good!

DeLorean
07/01/2016, 11:23 AM
Might reach 100 caps if he does.

Fixer82
07/01/2016, 4:01 PM
McGeady had a very good campaign for us when he played. Against Germany away in the second half I thought he played really well. Hopefully he gets some game time somewhere

DannyInvincible
12/01/2016, 11:44 PM
Martinez saying that there are three clubs interested in taking McGeady on loan until the end of the season. He didn't name them, although it looks like he's in demand and will get some game-time for the second half of the season at least, thankfully.

Charlie Darwin
12/01/2016, 11:55 PM
Martinez saying that there are three clubs interested in taking McGeady on loan until the end of the season. He didn't name them, although it looks like he's in demand and will get some game-time for the second half of the season at least, thankfully.
From Martinez's comments, he seems open to keeping McGeady for next season if he impresses on loan and in the Euros. Good to hear.

DeLorean
13/01/2016, 7:30 AM
Martinez only ever speaks in positive terms but it would make sense that he would want McGeady to work out at Everton, being one of his signings, but it's hard to see it given the extent to which he's been frozen out. McGeady would have do something really major to get back in the picture.

I'd love to know which 'foreign' club are interested.

Two English clubs and one foreign are interested in taking Aiden McGeady on loan from Everton (http://www.the42.ie/aiden-mcgeady-ireland-2-2544363-Jan2016/)

I could see Gibson working his way back into Everton's plans if he stays fit alright, I think Martinez recognises his attributes and Gareth Barry isn't getting any younger.

geysir
13/01/2016, 11:00 AM
Martinez speak translates to, neither of them has a future with the club, both to be sent out on loan for their own sakes and hopefully to boost their transfer value before next season..

Murph 1
13/01/2016, 11:29 AM
Agree with geyser, Martinez is suddenly showing a whole lot of interest in all things Republic. His plan seems to be (1)get McGeady and Gibson out on loan, (2) hope they feature during Euro 2016, (3) sell both at a profit.

OwlsFan
26/01/2016, 10:43 AM
McGeady hanging in for a Premiership club apparently:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0126/762981-leeds/

DeLorean
26/01/2016, 11:45 AM
Interesting, at least it sounds like he'll go somewhere. Being left with Championship only options wouldn't be the end of the world at all Euro-wise, possibly not great career-wise. My biggest fear for him, outside of staying at Everton, would be a move to a PL club where his playing time might dry up again!

OwlsFan
27/01/2016, 9:36 AM
I've been one of McGeadys biggest fans and defended him a lot through the years. Over his last year to 18 months at Celtic I kept away from the board as I knew he'd be getting stick and I couldn't justify defending him. He stayed too long at Celtic and got into some really bad habits both on the pitch (playing in a sub standard league against dreadful opposition) and off the pitch (spending far too much time out in nightclubs up to no good) that I began to question his commitment to his career.

When the move to Russia was first touted McGeady basically said absolutely not but eventually agreed to go to Moscow to see what it was like. When he went there he focussed on the football and made his move for sound footbalilng reasons. Sure he's probably being very well paid however he's not an overly flash spender and has looked after his money so I think he should be applauded for chosing to up sticks and head to Russia to develop.

I know he's taken his girlfriend over with him and I just hope he can settle in his personal life over there cause if he does he can come back to the UK in 2 years or so a much more rounded footballer and person.

Good luck to Aiden and to Spartak!

McGeady10's last post in foot.ie (over 5 years ago). He must be a broken man now. Hero worship is a dangerous thing as the majority of people are usually found to have feet of clay.

Olé Olé
27/01/2016, 10:23 AM
Bournemouth are short a winger having lost Junior Stanislas to injury recently, to add to their list. They have the finance too.

Not sure what difference he could make at Villa, Sunderland or Newcastle and I can't see him attracting a PL side higher in the league.

DeLorean
27/01/2016, 10:52 AM
Once he's playing football for the next few months is all that matters. I wouldn't get too ambitious if I was him, the last thing he needs is to join a club where he has too much competition.

seanfhear
29/01/2016, 5:28 PM
I've been one of McGeadys biggest fans and defended him a lot through the years. Over his last year to 18 months at Celtic I kept away from the board as I knew he'd be getting stick and I couldn't justify defending him. He stayed too long at Celtic and got into some really bad habits both on the pitch (playing in a sub standard league against dreadful opposition) and off the pitch (spending far too much time out in nightclubs up to no good) that I began to question his commitment to his career.

When the move to Russia was first touted McGeady basically said absolutely not but eventually agreed to go to Moscow to see what it was like. When he went there he focussed on the football and made his move for sound footbalilng reasons. Sure he's probably being very well paid however he's not an overly flash spender and has looked after his money so I think he should be applauded for chosing to up sticks and head to Russia to develop.

I know he's taken his girlfriend over with him and I just hope he can settle in his personal life over there cause if he does he can come back to the UK in 2 years or so a much more rounded footballer and person.

Good luck to Aiden and to Spartak!There was a while there when he first went to Russia that he developed his game e.g playing through the middle and general improvement; Sadly it petered out and he has regressed since. That short period showed the ability that some had said he pocessed . He has largely wasted his talent and its highly unlikely that he will fulfil his early potential in the rest of his career.

Charlie Darwin
29/01/2016, 10:19 PM
Apparently Sevilla have met Everton's demands for a loan deal. Emery was McGeady's manager at Spartak.

geysir
30/01/2016, 12:53 AM
Deciding between Sevilla or Sheffield Wednesday,
that's a tough one.

DeLorean
30/01/2016, 8:44 AM
It might be tougher than we think, he has family and game time to consider also. That said, I agree completely that Sevilla is a dream move in the circumstances. I'd love to think that the league would suit him better and he'd be more appreciated there. Sevilla are in the Europa League and they tend to do pretty well in it, so hopefully there'd be plenty opportunities. They also got a favourable draw in the Copa del Rey semi finals yesterday when paired with Celta Vigo. Please let this happen and work out!

DeLorean
30/01/2016, 12:10 PM
Sky Sources! (https://twitter.com/SkySportsDavid/status/693409819009642496)

Fixer82
30/01/2016, 12:59 PM
Would he be eligible to play in Europa League if he were to move there?

geysir
30/01/2016, 1:08 PM
It would be the absolute pits to end up in Owl's Sheffield, even short term. Who'd've thought that he could fall so far, some comeback if he manages to rebound from this setback, his darkest day before the dawn.
:rolleyes:

DeLorean
30/01/2016, 1:20 PM
Would he be eligible to play in Europa League if he were to move there?

Everton weren't in Europe this season so I presume it would just be a case of making Sevilla's registered squad.

Fixer82
30/01/2016, 5:50 PM
I feel for Aiden. He played really well for Ireland through the campaign but something has turned Martinez off him big time to not even make the bench all season

DeLorean
31/01/2016, 7:16 PM
Championship move very close (http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/everton-agree-loan-terms-with-two-championship-sides-for-irelands-aiden-mcgeady-34411518.html)

DeLorean
01/02/2016, 12:37 PM
Loan move to Sheffield Wednesday confirmed. At least they've playoff aspirations and he should see game time. I wonder if he'll be in the squad for their match tomorrow.

OwlsFan
01/02/2016, 2:24 PM
It would be the absolute pits to end up in Owl's Sheffield, even short term. Who'd've thought that he could fall so far, some comeback if he manages to rebound from this setback, his darkest day before the dawn.
:rolleyes:

Not sure if you are taking the mickey but it's hardly a huge fall from non-playing for a mid-table Premiership team to hopefully getting his game for a mid to upper table Championship side. Next game for Wednesday is a tough match against Burnley so even if he plays, it won't be a walk in the park for him. Fingers crossed that it works out for him, for Wednesday but more importantly for Ireland because, on form, he does add something different/creative to the mix. The game time (if he gets it) cannot but benefit Ireland (barring injury of course).

OwlsFan
01/02/2016, 4:23 PM
Wednesday manager Carlos Carvalhal says he tried to sign McGeady when he was manager of Sporting Lisbon in 2009/2010 so he does know a lot about him so I suspect he will give him every chance.

geysir
01/02/2016, 7:10 PM
Not sure if you are taking the mickey but it's hardly a huge fall from non-playing for a mid-table Premiership team to hopefully getting his game for a mid to upper table Championship side. Next game for Wednesday is a tough match against Burnley so even if he plays, it won't be a walk in the park for him. Fingers crossed that it works out for him, for Wednesday but more importantly for Ireland because, on form, he does add something different/creative to the mix. The game time (if he gets it) cannot but benefit Ireland (barring injury of course).
Of course I was taking the mickey, how could you have any doubt?:)
It was headlined with megaphone decibel levels,
re some perceived sarcasm from you about McGeady having feet of clay, not magic.
Of course I hope he can take his opportunity to rise like a phoenix from this circumstance.

Charlie Darwin
01/02/2016, 7:30 PM
I've always said McGeady was a Championship loan waiting to happen.

Crosby87
01/02/2016, 7:51 PM
The most expensive fees from every transfer day for Irish players: (Leon Best was once IN DEMAND)
http://www.balls.ie/football/the-most-expensive-irish-signing-from-every-single-transfer-window/323093

DeLorean
01/02/2016, 8:57 PM
Wednesday manager Carlos Carvalhal says he tried to sign McGeady when he was manager of Sporting Lisbon in 2009/2010 so he does know a lot about him so I suspect he will give him every chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=e3qfNAMEAUI&app=desktop

Olé Olé
01/02/2016, 9:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=e3qfNAMEAUI&app=desktop

Cringed when the interview referred to Aiden as a "British player."

Great to see Caravahal knows him well and is playing good football. Should be a good move for him even though it's not the PL. Championship is still a very competitive league and the teams that go up demonstrate the gulf isn't that great.

geysir
01/02/2016, 9:33 PM
Any photos yet of a proud McGeady with his Sheffield Wed shirt?
or one of McGeady with his Sheffield Wed shirt?

tricky_colour
01/02/2016, 10:39 PM
Loan move to Sheffield Wednesday confirmed. At least they've playoff aspirations and he should see game time. I wonder if he'll be in the squad for their match tomorrow.

You would think they would at least get him on as sub at the end.
I'd say they would not have signed him if he could not hit the ground running.

DeLorean
02/02/2016, 8:26 AM
Good point. The SSN vidiprinter suggests he might make his debut alright.

tetsujin1979
02/02/2016, 9:55 AM
Think players had to be registered before noon to play today, that was definitely the case with Premier League clubs.
If he trained with them yesterday morning, the chances are he was registered in time, and should be involved tonight.

OwlsFan
02/02/2016, 12:18 PM

Watch this space. He should feel at home there with three other ex-Celtic players in the squad.

Crosby87
02/02/2016, 4:19 PM
Love the comments from the Everton fans vs his new temporary fans.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/02/02/everton-and-sheffield-wednesday-fans-react-on-twitter-to-aiden-m/

Charlie Darwin
02/02/2016, 8:40 PM
McEddy makes it on for the final three minutes of a 1-1 draw with high-flying Burnley. Ward played the entire match for Burnley.

geysir
02/02/2016, 10:27 PM
Nothing much to read into McGeady's cameo, except it did happen and he's only there 5 minutes. If anything, it's a positive and the club are desperate to make the play offs.

tricky_colour
02/02/2016, 11:13 PM
McEddy makes it on for the final three minutes of a 1-1 draw with high-flying Burnley. Ward played the entire match for Burnley.

Ha ha I predicted he would come on as a sub at the end, I guess the manger took my advice :)

tricky_colour
02/02/2016, 11:15 PM
Just a way of letting the fans know what he looks like I guess, no doubt Aiden did the sensible thing and avoided any contact with the ball. :)

OwlsFan
03/02/2016, 9:20 AM

Applauding fans so possibly the former :)

geysir
03/02/2016, 10:46 AM
I don't think the pride has kicked in just yet, he looks a bit sheepish there.

Yard of Pace
03/02/2016, 8:47 PM
From looking at the mini .jpeg it looks like he's lining out for Porto. I'm gonna go with that one.

Stuttgart88
03/02/2016, 9:19 PM
Following in the legendary Regi Blinker's footsteps.

Crosby87
03/02/2016, 10:23 PM
What ever happened to Regi Blinker?
http://sabotagetimes.com/football/whatever-happened-to-celtic-cult-hero-regi-blinker

Stuttgart88
04/02/2016, 7:47 AM
Ah, I'd forgotten he went the other way. Celtic's CEO, Jock Brown (a TV commentator and brother of Craig) spun the deal as an exchange for DiCanio in order to be able to stand by his promise that DiCanio would not be sold. Something like that anyway.

Junior
04/02/2016, 12:42 PM
You were thinking Phil O'Donnell (RIP) and Simon Donnelly perhaps?

OwlsFan
04/02/2016, 3:06 PM
From looking at the mini .jpeg it looks like he's lining out for Porto. I'm gonna go with that one.

If you click on it, it gets bigger :) Here's another one for your delectation. No Porto badge there :)-

Following in the legendary Regi Blinker's footsteps.

Regi Blinker was on Sky recently. I just associate him with the decline of the club while, hopefully, I will associate Aiden, along with his 70+ Irish caps and performance in Georgia, with the return of the club to the top table after 16 years in the wilderness.