PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

Scram
27/08/2009, 12:07 PM
Antoher sterling perforamnce last night from the wee man. A pity the likes of Fortuné are so sh!té

geysir
27/08/2009, 1:14 PM
:D

Use both feet.

I hope it proves useful to you geysir.:D

sure i can with just a little adjusting.

'You've got to stand on your two feet and keep your paws out of my wallet'.

Stuttgart88
27/08/2009, 1:52 PM
Antoher sterling perforamnce last night from the wee man. A pity the likes of Fortuné are so sh!téI was at the game last night & agree totally.

McGeady was Celtic's "go to" man on almost every occasion. He protected the ball brilliantly, received it with a good touch and distributed it well, showing good awareness. The Arsenal fans I was amongst were impressed by him. It wasn't a flawless performance by any means but I thought he stood toe-to-toe with Arsenal's creative players. He was the only Celtic outfield player that didn't look at least one notch below his Arsenal counterpart.

Surely one of his long-rangers will find the net? Hopefully for Ireland soon.

Fortune looks ordinary, Donati was awful I thought, a total passenger. O'Dea never stood a chance, the game was stretched by the time he came on.

Duggie
27/08/2009, 1:59 PM
ya def mcgeady was celtic man to give the ball to almost every time. but he had no one to give it to when he got it. celtic are dire in fairness in PL terms. and can someone tell me how caldwell even gets a game never mind captain, hes desperate in every game i seen him in this season.

Oink
27/08/2009, 2:14 PM
Very impressive last night, though he seems to get the most return when cutting inside from the wing. He's not particularily good at starting wide, beating the full back and whipping the ball in... which unfortunately seems to be what he's told/forced to do with Ireland. He really needs a playmaking forward to compliment him, does Dennis Bergkamp have any irish nephews?

DeLorean
27/08/2009, 2:32 PM
Fortune looks ordinary

That's a huge compliment to the guy going by last night. Felt sorry for McGeady, was the only Celtic player with any class but was fighting a lost battle. Not too dissimilar to Thomond truth be told.

Brendan 82
27/08/2009, 3:03 PM
Fortune looks ordinary

"Hey I go to a Scotland and make a For-Tune! We win we lose, is okay man I still makey the ForTune! bye bye"

Traps Cat
27/08/2009, 3:09 PM
That's a huge compliment to the guy going by last night. Felt sorry for McGeady, was the only Celtic player with any class but was fighting a lost battle. Not too dissimilar to Thomond truth be told.

Agree. Fortune played like your man Ali Dia , that Souness signed for southhampton years back - clueless.

McGeady looked very comfortable on the ball last night - not surprised he lost the rag a little (late tackle , verbals with eduardo) as he got no support what so ever. Head and shoulders above anyone at Celtic at the moment , and deserves a move.

paul_oshea
27/08/2009, 3:12 PM
was at the game also and would agree that mcgeady out of all the players i though stood out, on both sides. Caldwell is unbeleiveably bad.

Mayo_Bhoy
27/08/2009, 3:37 PM
"Hey I go to a Scotland and make a For-Tune! We win we lose, is okay man I still makey the ForTune! bye bye"

He'd be the first player to go the SPL over the EPL to make a fortune in that case.:rolleyes:

Brendan 82
27/08/2009, 3:58 PM
He'd be the first player to go the SPL over the EPL to make a fortune in that case.:rolleyes:

"Hey, you take it easy white boy. In French Guyana this isa whatta we call a nice For-Tune. Bye bye to you! Jealous."

eirebhoy
27/08/2009, 6:10 PM
Very impressive last night, though he seems to get the most return when cutting inside from the wing. He's not particularily good at starting wide, beating the full back and whipping the ball in... which unfortunately seems to be what he's told/forced to do with Ireland.
McGeady said differently:
"At Celtic (under Strachan) I play out wide - and am told to stay out there - but with Ireland, Trapattoni wants me to come inside."

"It's not a playmaker role, but if I haven't seen much of the ball during the game he encourages me to come inside and try and pick up possession infield. He sees me doing more damage in the middle."

Mowbray has given him a target of at least 10 goals this season and doesn't really want his wide player sticking to any system. McGeady is loving it.

Houghton and the like do my head in with this tracking back lark. They actually put a bit of blame on him for Eduardo's peno because Clichy beat him to a pass. He's not a winger under Mowbray and, like the wide players at Man Utd and Barca, doesn't have to be tracking back all the time.

Scram
28/08/2009, 8:23 AM
was at the game also and would agree that mcgeady out of all the players i though stood out, on both sides. Caldwell is unbeleiveably bad.

Isn't he shocking!!...i.e. Caldwell, unbeievbly poor in both games, the 1st he lost because of an absolutely STUPID free kick.

McGeady definitely stood out, I'd just like to have a chip placed in his head so at the last moment he gets a little shock that forces him to look up, because when he beat 4 Arsenal players and had a shot, he had much more time than he realised and didn't have to just depend on "knowing where the goal is"

irishfan86
28/08/2009, 8:26 AM
Isn't he shocking!!...i.e. Caldwell, unbeievbly poor in both games, the 1st he lost because of an absolutely STUPID free kick.

McGeady definitely stood out, I'd just like to have a chip placed in his head so at the last moment he gets a little shock that forces him to look up, because when he beat 4 Arsenal players and had a shot, he had much more time than he realised and didn't have to just depend on "knowing where the goal is"

If we're thinking of the same play, I feel that he made the right decision to take a shot when he did, and if you look at the replay, he really didn't miss by much.

Scram
28/08/2009, 8:59 AM
If we're thinking of the same play, I feel that he made the right decision to take a shot when he did, and if you look at the replay, he really didn't miss by much.

If he had looked up, he would have scored.

Razors left peg
30/08/2009, 12:52 PM
Modric is out for 6 weeks with fracture fibula,I wonder will this lead to Redknapp making a bid for McGeady

superfrank
30/08/2009, 2:44 PM
McGeady sent off today. Didn't see the first yellow but from one angle of the replays they showed, it looked like he dived. He didn't complain either so to me he's got guilty written all over him.

Stuttgart88
30/08/2009, 4:58 PM
Teletext says it was harsh. In general I think even if there was no contact it doesn't automatically mean it's a dive - and more often than not I think it should be a foul. Often you're dodging the contact - that's why you go down.

superfrank
30/08/2009, 5:02 PM
A foul for no contact? Is that what you're saying?

dr_peepee
30/08/2009, 5:35 PM
Teletext says it was harsh. In general I think even if there was no contact it doesn't automatically mean it's a dive - and more often than not I think it should be a foul. Often you're dodging the contact - that's why you go down.

Exactly.. Had this argument a couple of years ago after Ronaldo won a peno for United against Middlesboro, and I'm not a united fan. There shouldn;t need to be contact. I dunno what the official stance is though...

Scram
30/08/2009, 5:53 PM

Saw it, he jumped out of the way and wasn't looking for ANYTHING. Referee should be suspended, idiot.

Stuttgart88
30/08/2009, 6:23 PM
A foul for no contact? Is that what you're saying?Exactly what I'm saying.

For me the most clear cut example was David Seaman against Jan Koller in Dortmund in a CL game about 10 years ago. Just like Almunia yesterday, Seaman rashly chased a through ball & was beaten to it by Koller. Koller touched it around Seaman and would probably have scored had Seaman not dived in front of him, missing the ball. Koller had no choice but avoid Seaman's lunge and dived over him evading the tackle. A penalty was rightly given but the UK commentators branded Koller a cheat. I'm an Arsenal fan and thought it was a nailed on penalty.

I'll see if it's on youtube.

I think that if you go to ground to win a tackle and miss, but causing the attacking player to lose possession, it should be a foul in most cases.

Stuttgart88
30/08/2009, 6:37 PM
I guess what I'm trying to say is that not all going to ground without contact is cheating and that you don't have to actually take a guy out to make a foul.

Take the Fletcher on Arshavin incident yesterday. I don't think anyone thinks it wasn't a penalty, despite Fletcher eventually getting some of the ball.

Now, what would have happened if Arshavin had been a bit quicker and dived out of the way seeing Fletcher's lunge coming? It would still have been every bit as much of a foul in my opinion.

celticV3
30/08/2009, 7:01 PM
Heres a youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ETBbgGGXg

From the other angle http://i18.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/benie30/sentoff_00.flv

Eirambler
30/08/2009, 9:34 PM
Have to say I think McGeady only has himself to blame for that one. He wasn't touched so there was no reason for him to fall. If he kept going he might have been bodychecked but he didn't stay on his feet long enough to find out.

He was already on a yellow and Celtic were winning the game, so it was a stupid thing to do.

Would still like to see him go to the premiership but its looking less likely by the day. He could be a truly outstanding winger, but he'll never develop to his full potential in the SPL, and will always struggle with the step up to international level as long as he is playing there.

Stuttgart88
31/08/2009, 7:54 AM
AS said above, I'm all for allowing players the benefit of the doubt in that just because they go to ground it doesn't mean they've dived. On looking at that replay however, it looks to me like McGeady was anticipating a tackle that never materialised and was trying to win a free.

Scram
31/08/2009, 8:16 AM
If Aidan McGeady was a Scottish internatioanl playing for Rangers, there is ABSOLUTELY no way he would have been sent off.

He may have been tired and avoided contact but before taking the ultimate decision of a sending off, it should be much, much clearer that there was intent to win a free as with Eduardo leaving his foot in on Boruc to gain a penalty...clear intent to cheat.

eirebhoy
31/08/2009, 2:06 PM
It's the first time I seen the incident but it just shows you that a lot of it must be instinct because McGeady is one who wouldn't dive if he had the chance think about it.

an_ceannaire
31/08/2009, 2:17 PM

Completely agree, and yet he wont the PFA and the Writers player of the year for the SPL last year.........words fail me!!!:confused:

an_ceannaire
31/08/2009, 2:19 PM
If Aidan McGeady was a Scottish internatioanl playing for Rangers, there is ABSOLUTELY no way he would have been sent off.

He may have been tired and avoided contact but before taking the ultimate decision of a sending off, it should be much, much clearer that there was intent to win a free as with Eduardo leaving his foot in on Boruc to gain a penalty...clear intent to cheat.

Oh sweet mary Mother of God :(

Scram
31/08/2009, 3:19 PM
Oh sweet mary Mother of God :(

Pathetic. I've called your bluff and now that's the best you can resort to !! Any other Irish player you want to disrespect?

an_ceannaire
31/08/2009, 3:26 PM
Pathetic. I've called your bluff and now that's the best you can resort to !! Any other Irish player you want to disrespect?

you think he was sent off by the referee because he is an Irish international playing for Celtic
tell me , yes or no, is that what you believe
Do you Scram think Aidan McGeady was dismissed by the ref because he is an Irish Celtic player............and not a Rangers Scottish player

Colbert Report
31/08/2009, 3:28 PM
Nobody cares about Scottish football, it's crap compared to the EPL.

an_ceannaire
31/08/2009, 3:35 PM

Agreed 100%

eirebhoy
31/08/2009, 3:46 PM
Hughes was defending him after the game.

"I'm the opposition manager, I want to see him doing his stuff and see if my boys can handle him."

Mowbray said he feels McGeady probably tired after running 50 yards and beating a couple of tackles.

irishfan86
01/09/2009, 11:11 PM
Just watched the game there.

Pretty clear dive and I've got no problem with the sending off.

eirebhoy
01/09/2009, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't agree. He certainly wasn't forced to the ground from contact but he didn't cheat. He was about to have his feet taken from under him. There's no doubt about that. He jumped to the ground before the contact. Now he didn't jump to the ground to gain an advantage. He was at the half way line. He just instinctively got out of the way of the challenge.

The booking is there for conning the ref, cheating, which McGeady certainly wasn't trying to do imo.

osarusan
02/09/2009, 9:42 AM
I saw the game, and I thought at the time, as I still do, that it was a dive.

I can see what you are saying Stuttgart88, but if you makes rules like that, what more can a defender do? A defender starts to make a tackle, then realises he won't get the ball, and pulls out of it (completely or partly)- and might still have a foul given against him? What more can a defender do?

You're going to get into questions of whether a player was simply avoiding a tackle or trying to win a free kick, and that is impossible to judge.

eirebhoy
02/09/2009, 9:54 AM
I can see what you are saying Stuttgart88, but if you makes rules like that, what more can a defender do? A defender starts to make a tackle, then realises he won't get the ball, and pulls out of it (completely or partly)- and might still have a foul given against him? What more can a defender do?
In this case I wouldn't have given a foul. I'd give a Hibs throw. But there's no doubt if McGeady didn't go to ground he was about to have his feet taken from under him. So it's only natural for McGeady to avoid the challenge and possible injury, we don't even decide that it's just instinct. But I definitely wouldn't give a foul against Hibs.

osarusan
02/09/2009, 10:05 AM
But there's no doubt if McGeady didn't go to ground he was about to have his feet taken from under him. So it's only natural for McGeady to avoid the challenge and possible injury, we don't even decide that it's just instinct.
It is a difficult one, because saying there must be contact means that a player must run the risk of getting injured. But saying there need not be contact makes a defender's job incredibly difficult.

geysir
02/09/2009, 10:25 AM
From a tacklers perspective Paul Hanlon

"I saw McGeady run at me at a fair pace and thought about tackling him but he took a heavy touch and I managed to get my body out of the way.
"Obviously he was running at a decent speed and maybe lost his footing. But the referee saw it as a dive and that's a booking, so he had to go.
"I felt I didn't touch him. I tried my best to keep my body out of the way and it was then up to the ref to decide. If he saw it as a dive then it's a sending off.
"If I'd been booked for that I'd have been gutted but the ref's got a hard job to do when a game is being played at 100 miles an hour.
"However, I felt he made the right decision at the time even though I'd forgotten about McGeady's yellow card in the first half.
"He's not a cheat. He was running at a fair pace, took that heavy touch and I just managed to get my body out of the way.

tetsujin1979
02/09/2009, 11:05 AM
I reckon McGeady anticipated the tackle, and avoided it to not get completely creamed, but Hanlon had already pulled out of it so no contact was made.

shakermaker1982
02/09/2009, 11:06 AM
He dived IMO. McGeady would have kicked up one hell of a fuss if it wasn't. Eboue reacted in the same manner after he tried to con the ref Saturday evening.

jbyrne
02/09/2009, 11:18 AM

and who cares about the EPL? over-hyped playboy nonsense, with one or two exceptions

eirebhoy
02/09/2009, 12:15 PM
He dived IMO. McGeady would have kicked up one hell of a fuss if it wasn't. Eboue reacted in the same manner after he tried to con the ref Saturday evening.
An instinctive dive then. McGeady would be completely anti-diving and would never even stay on the ground too long when fouled. As long as McGeady isn't seen as a cheat that's all I really care about.

and who cares about the EPL? over-hyped playboy nonsense, with one or two exceptions
I was hoping someone wouldn't bite...

Duggie
02/09/2009, 12:52 PM
mcgeady is no cheat - im a very happy man to see him wearing the green jersey.

Scram
02/09/2009, 2:27 PM
mcgeady is no cheat - im a very happy man to see him wearing the green jersey.

Absolutely, and screw the Anti-Celt prejudiced begrudgers.

Razors left peg
02/09/2009, 4:18 PM
Theres no doubt McGeady went to ground too easily, something which Duffer has done for years.But I think thats the first time Ive ever seen anyone claiming he dived. There was a hell of alot of difference between that and Eduardo, who bent his right knee in such a way that it made it look to the referee that his leg was clipped by the keeper, that in my opinion is blatent cheating.

Stuttgart88
02/09/2009, 5:23 PM
I saw the game, and I thought at the time, as I still do, that it was a dive.

You're going to get into questions of whether a player was simply avoiding a tackle or trying to win a free kick, and that is impossible to judge.
I'm also referring referring to when a player starts to make a tackle - a sliding tackle - and continues to make it yet still misses the ball, but causing the attacking player to lose control or dive to avoid the contact. That's a 100% foul in my opinion. Go to ground, miss the ball and the ref is entitled to give a free all the time.

Remember Duff is Suwon? Puyol (?) slid in and missed the ball, going straight through where duff was running. Duff was "smart" and made sure that there was contact but even without that it was a foul. The imperative is on a slide tackler to win the ball cleanly.

Lee dixon was on TV being asked about spurs' "foul" on Liverpool that would have earneda second penalty. Adrian Chiles asked when is it a foul or when is it a shoulder charge. Dixon's response was 2ah sure we all know you're not allowed to tackle anymore". ******. you're not allowed to tackle the way the english crowds love, but you are allowed to tackle. euro 2008 was a joy because there were no tackles from behind, only players using technique in both attack and defence. There was a noticable lack of aggression in tackling in that tournament.

Arsenal's new guy Vermaelen madea tackle - textbook tackle - on an Everton player. Everton guy tried to go around him, Vermealen stood up, stuick out a leg, got his foot to the ball, Everton guy fell over the ball, Vermaelen walked away in control of the ball. Beautiful. Also very rare sadly.

Tackling is a skill too, one that's not well taught around here, but one that UEFA's international refereees seem to appreciate in tournament finals and are encouraged to enfore according to UEFA rules.

Razor, Duff does go down easily but more often than not it's to make sure a free is awarded after a foul has taken place. Sure he could stay up, but then he risks not earning a free he has rightly won.

Rant over :)

geysir
02/09/2009, 5:59 PM
"Adrian Chiles asked when is it a foul or when is it a shoulder charge"

That one has mystified me for decades.