PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

danonion
12/11/2007, 2:57 PM
Hearts are pants

Sligo Hornet
12/11/2007, 2:58 PM
Hearts are pants

......and?:confused:

Plastic Paddy
12/11/2007, 5:17 PM
Hearts are pants

I'm not defending Hearts - it would be a cold day in hell first - but I'd expect them to beat each and every team in the Eircom League.

[dons helmet and retreats to nuclear bunker...]

:ball: PP

Billsthoughts
12/11/2007, 7:52 PM
I'm not defending Hearts - it would be a cold day in hell first - but I'd expect them to beat each and every team in the Eircom League.

[dons helmet and retreats to nuclear bunker...]

of course you would with all the money they have.whats your point? (have you ever even been to ireland by the way?)

SkStu
12/11/2007, 8:14 PM
about Celtic and Irish support of Celtic, which is simply a long tradition and a very lucrative one from both an Irish and Celtic perspective.

still waiting for an answer to this Scram.

As for Plastic Paddy, what is the point of your post regarding Hearts? How in the f*ck is it relevant to Aiden McGeadys abilities as a player which is what is being discussed. Was it just a bad attempt at a wind-up? :rolleyes:

geysir
12/11/2007, 8:59 PM
There was a link to McGeady (I think)
The references to Hearts started when the McGeady clip against Hearts was posted.

One day we will have uTube clips of McGeady playing for Ireland :)

Plastic Paddy
13/11/2007, 5:48 AM
of course you would with all the money they have.whats your point? (have you ever even been to ireland by the way?)

Very good - did you think of that one yourself? It's this kind of bullsh*t that, after fifteen years, finally stopped me going to Ireland matches - culchies who themselves had barely been out of their home townlands who, once they heard my accent, had the audacity to question my Irishness at pretty much every turn. The only people who never did were those Irish from the north, but then I guess they understood what it means to have to defend your identity from those who would deny it to you. Just like you're trying to do to me here.

As for Plastic Paddy, what is the point of your post regarding Hearts? How in the f*ck is it relevant to Aiden McGeadys abilities as a player which is what is being discussed. Was it just a bad attempt at a wind-up? :rolleyes:

Not at all - it was in direct answer to danonion's points about Hearts and sought to address the superiority complex that many eL fans on here actually have about their clubs and they level of football they play. Looks like I hit the bullseye.

Billsthoughts
13/11/2007, 8:35 AM
Very good - did you think of that one yourself? It's this kind of bullsh*t that, after fifteen years, finally stopped me going to Ireland matches - culchies who themselves had barely been out of their home townlands who, once they heard my accent, had the audacity to question my Irishness at pretty much every turn. The only people who never did were those Irish from the north, but then I guess they understood what it means to have to defend your identity from those who would deny it to you. Just like you're trying to do to me here.

Get therapy if it scarred you that much. nobody cares about your accent. its attitudes like the one below that probably bothered people.

Not at all - it was in direct answer to danonion's points about Hearts and sought to address the superiority complex that many eL fans on here actually have about their clubs and they level of football they play. Looks like I hit the bullseye.

Its not a superiority complex. Its just their clubs. Irish people following Irish clubs. what have you got against that? its a no brainer that "fans" are going to think their particular club is great.

and am not an eircom league fan before you go off on one at me.

Supreme feet
13/11/2007, 9:03 AM
Back to McGeady, if I may...

Watching the youtube footage, it's clear that McGeady's a talented footballer, and I wouldn't agree with Dunphy's 'brainless winger' synopsis. I think that Staunton had McGeady repeatedly under instruction to hug the right touchline and put in crosses, when there's potentially a lot more to his game. He looks a lot more comfortable on the left, where he can cut inside.

BTW, An interesting challenge for any new Irish manager will be how to get the best attacking balance out of McGeady, Duff, Ireland (!) and Andy Reid.

RogerMilla
13/11/2007, 12:47 PM
BTW, An interesting challenge for any new Irish manager will be how to get the best attacking balance out of McGeady, Duff, Ireland (!) and Andy Reid.

supreme i agree fully , the key is to allow reid and ireland room to manoevre in that midfield , perhaps having a hard man in there to give them protection, heres to the day when all of them along with steven reid and stephen hunt are available for selection.

youngirish
13/11/2007, 1:12 PM
There was a link to McGeady (I think)
The references to Hearts started when the McGeady clip against Hearts was posted.

One day we will have uTube clips of McGeady playing for Ireland :)

They probably already have. Masochistic Irish fans strap themselves to chairs , stick matchsticks between their eyelids and play them over and over again.

RogerMilla
13/11/2007, 1:17 PM
Masochistic Irish fans strap themselves to chairs , stick matchsticks between their eyelids and play them over and over again.

or alternatively they log on here and read your posts. :p

Billsthoughts
13/11/2007, 1:44 PM
Well said, and a professional manager to get the best out of them. Are you even Irish Bill or wha?

Yes. Yes I am.

NeilMcD
13/11/2007, 5:48 PM
Ireland is pants.Super pants

SkStu
13/11/2007, 8:02 PM

so you took the opportunity to address the "superiority complex" of eL fans by responding to a poster who's only words were "Hearts are pants". Not "Hearts are pants and every eL team would destroy them" nor "Hearts are crap and my irish team would beat them every day of the week" merely "Hearts are pants".

Thats a pretty twisted justification if you ask me. My reading of danonion's post would be that McGeady needs to do his party pieces against better teams than Hearts. I think thats a pretty reasonable interpretation of his post. I still dont see how or why you dragged the eL into this? Bizarre.

Looks like you hit the bullseye alright. :rolleyes:

Bottle of Tonic
13/11/2007, 9:51 PM
In fairness the original post 'Hearts are pants' was pretty limited and was only going to wind up fans of Scottish football (ie Celtic fans on this site). If the Mons fan wanted to say he should be doing it against better opposition then he should have said just that. Hearts won that match 0-2 by the way, although they didn't deserve to. They are actually a decent side on their day.

PP,
I applaud your passion for the Irish team. Sickens me when my 2g and 3g mates get stick from my countrymen about their 'authenticity'.

Wonder how Mcgeady feels about it , cries of 'fuk off back to Scotland' coming down from the stands?

irishfan86
13/11/2007, 10:23 PM
McGeady is a hard player to judge.

He looked invisible against the Czechs/Slovaks, but absolutely dominated against Benfica.

He's got ability in abundance, but maybe there are questions around his confidence and consistency.

I think it may just be down to leadership and having good strong characters around him.

You get the feeling with Ireland that they're all looking at each other in the locker room, waiting for someone to take charge, and they were being led by an equally clueless manager.

This is in stark contrast to Celtic where he's got a confident and fiery manager in Strachan, and some good strong characters in the squad such as McManus and Brown who can really lead the way, and I'm sure they've all taken him aside at times and given him a few words of advice.

Some players need a little extra work, and you need managers and senior players to get the best out of these players. When you've got a young player with his kind of ability, it will certainly be worth the effort in the end.

Billsthoughts
14/11/2007, 7:41 AM
McGeady is a hard player to judge.

He looked invisible against the Czechs/Slovaks, but absolutely dominated against Benfica.

He's got ability in abundance, but maybe there are questions around his confidence and consistency.

I think of all our players , a negative response from the crowd seems to bring out the worst performance in him. a few good games as sub to build his confidance at Ireland level wouldnt do him any harm. comparisons with Duffs early performances are valid. Altho still think going on his performaces as starter so far for Ireland(cyprus; slovakia and czech rep) we cant afford to accomodate someone who contributes nothing defensively.

PP,
I applaud your passion for the Irish team. Sickens me when my 2g and 3g mates get stick from my countrymen about their 'authenticity'.

Passion for the Irish team but derision for Irish football.:rolleyes: I asked whether he had ever been to Ireland as I wanted to know how he knew so much about Irish football to make the statement he did. For what it is worth I think if someone was forced to emigrate cause they couldnt get a job here then they have every right to bring their children or grandchildren up as Irish.
However if your going to take cheap shots expect cheap shots back.

RogerMilla
14/11/2007, 11:56 AM
i would like someone to name me any player who reacts well to a barracking from fans. people who roar at players on thier own team are idiots . opposition players ? now they are fair game !!

Billsthoughts
14/11/2007, 12:51 PM
i would like someone to name me any player who reacts well to a barracking from fans.

Roy Keane v Rangers in champions league at Ibrox...

altho think you mean their own fans......yeah I wasnt criticising Mageady for it I was just pointing out it may be a factor.

Supreme feet
14/11/2007, 1:57 PM
i would like someone to name me any player who reacts well to a barracking from fans.

Roy Keane against Romania in Lansdowne, 2004. He had a really solid game, and after a while, people copped on and stopped booing him.

RogerMilla
14/11/2007, 2:11 PM
Roy Keane v Rangers in champions league at Ibrox...

altho think you mean their own fans......yeah I wasnt criticising Mageady for it I was just pointing out it may be a factor.

LOL i remember him making a foray up the park , he was gagging for a goal that night..

RogerMilla
14/11/2007, 2:11 PM
Roy Keane against Romania in Lansdowne, 2004. He had a really solid game, and after a while, people copped on and stopped booing him.

The exception that proves the rule...

danonion
15/11/2007, 12:42 AM
I didn't even remember I posted that until I saw all the furore I had caused! I was commenting that for a "tricky winger" type of player like McGeady, if he is to be considered a class player he needs to prove himself in a better league.

I would have Mark Kennedy playing for Ireland before McGeady, because McGeady is poor for Ireland every time he plays.

I'm also not trying to condemn Scottish football. I think for certain positions, playing in that league can be very good for a player's international career, like centre-forwards. Same with the Dutch league and the like...scoring a lot of goals builds confidence. But when you skin 37 year old midfielders and defenders, the confidence boost doesn't help so much when some 6'4 German fullback makes a complete arse out of you.

Also I wasn't beating the Eircom League drum by the "pants" comment (although I reckon Mons could win the SPL hai)

Billsthoughts
15/11/2007, 8:12 AM
Roy Keane is god, like. Sure he loved playing for his country so much . . . .

nice fishing rod ya have there....:rolleyes:
shouldnt you be busy ironing your leprechaun suit for saturday?

tetsujin1979
15/11/2007, 9:32 AM
I would have Mark Kennedy playing for Ireland before McGeady, because McGeady is poor for Ireland every time he plays.
Kennedy didn't exactly set the world on fire when he played for Ireland.

youngirish
15/11/2007, 11:06 AM
Roy Keane was 100% pure bast*rd. That's why booing him made him play better. He got off on it.

On a sidenote McGeady is muck.

eirebhoy
15/11/2007, 11:41 AM
I didn't even remember I posted that until I saw all the furore I had caused! I was commenting that for a "tricky winger" type of player like McGeady, if he is to be considered a class player he needs to prove himself in a better league.
For the time being just let Strachan keep doing what he's doing. :) McGeady will improve a lot more with Strachan coaching him than he will by just coming up against better players on a regular basis imo. He needs the coaching. He needs to be using his brain a lot more and that's something that has been improved on an awful lot under Strachan. I said it a few times but if Strachan got Thomas Gravesen at 19/20 I believe he would have been a world class player. He has everything but the tactical awareness.

danonion
15/11/2007, 2:42 PM
For the time being just let Strachan keep doing what he's doing. :) McGeady will improve a lot more with Strachan coaching him than he will by just coming up against better players on a regular basis imo. He needs the coaching. He needs to be using his brain a lot more and that's something that has been improved on an awful lot under Strachan. I said it a few times but if Strachan got Thomas Gravesen at 19/20 I believe he would have been a world class player. He has everything but the tactical awareness.

Gravesen has everything, especially the looks.

Plastic Paddy
16/11/2007, 2:26 PM
so you took the opportunity to address the "superiority complex" of eL fans by responding to a poster who's only words were "Hearts are pants". Not "Hearts are pants and every eL team would destroy them" nor "Hearts are crap and my irish team would beat them every day of the week" merely "Hearts are pants".

Thats a pretty twisted justification if you ask me. My reading of danonion's post would be that McGeady needs to do his party pieces against better teams than Hearts. I think thats a pretty reasonable interpretation of his post. I still dont see how or why you dragged the eL into this? Bizarre.

On reflection, and with danonion's own clarification, yes, your interpretation of his comment is clearly more accurate than mine was. :o

My initial reaction (and the post that followed) was coloured by thoughts of those foot.ie posters who subscribe to the "McGeady/the SPL is crap" school of thought, when in the main these are the type of people who consider a match at the Showgrounds or Turner's Cross to be the absolute last word in entertainment. In retrospect I should have enunciated my thoughts more clearly from the off but I stick by my point, no matter how arcane it appears in context.

On topic, if you want to see McGeady doing his "party pieces" against better teams than Hearts, there's plenty of stuff on YouTube showing the man in action against Benfica and Milan (twice), two of which matches were earlier this season. I think we can both agree that these teams are, in each case, better than the Jambos, don't you?

SkStu
16/11/2007, 3:00 PM
absolutely, but theyre not better than Bohs :D

in seriousness, as ive said before, i think McGeady is a fine player and with a few more years of age and experience will be a very good player for Ireland and Celtic.

Just one thing ill pull you up on in your last post is that eL fans dont really think that the eL is the cream of football. What I think is that its better to support your local team and Irish football in general. Secondly, a live game beats the living sh1t out of watching a premiership game on the telly - thats how i got hooked. Sure, it doesnt have the glamour of the english game but it has enough going for it to entertain a true fan of the game of football.

Irish footie is to english footie as Brookside is to Falcon Crest. :D both very entertaining in their own way!

Irish_Praha
17/11/2007, 10:57 AM
Irish footie is to english footie as Brookside is to Falcon Crest. :D both very entertaining in their own way!

A better comparison would be Irish footie is to English footie as Fair City is to Sopranos.

Paddy Garcia
17/11/2007, 1:46 PM
Stating the obvious? Maybe you should actually add your backing to those obvious suggestions that I make at the time when many are slating them instead of coming out after the matter has been settled and doing your usual smartarse I knew that all the time. Thinking about it I've never seen you have an opinion on anything that turned out to be true after the fact. I see you still haven't stated an opinion on McGeady but in 2 years if he's playing for Hamilton in the Scottish 1st division you'll be on here stating you always knew he was rubbish because it was obvious.

What statements have I made that at the time I made them they were obvious (bar the above)?

McGeady is already a very good player, He will move on to become an important player for Ireland over the coming years. He is an exceptional talent. He won't be playing for Hamilton in two years, though it seems to me you hope he will be.

Obvious statement- foretelling Ireland & Joey O'Brien would get in the Irish team. Err how many other young Irish midfielders were making the breakthrough at a Premiership team at this time - NONE - brilliant insight:rolleyes:

I honestly believe that while Ireland have a decent team now we should be enjoying a golden period in our footballing history by the time of the next European championships comes around. I base this claim because of the from the amount of young Irish talent that is starting to make waves across the channel.

:D

.. and this is pure class.

I might head down to Paddy Power now to see what odds I can get on Ireland for Euro 2008. It's money in the bank.

youngirish
19/11/2007, 9:44 AM
McGeady is already a very good player, He will move on to become an important player for Ireland over the coming years. He is an exceptional talent. He won't be playing for Hamilton in two years, though it seems to me you hope he will be.

Obvious statement- foretelling Ireland & Joey O'Brien would get in the Irish team. Err how many other young Irish midfielders were making the breakthrough at a Premiership team at this time - NONE - brilliant insight:rolleyes:

:D

.. and this is pure class.

I still think we will have a very good team in another 7-8 months (we already do). Two years with Stan the plank in charge is the main reason we are sh*te at the moment IMO.

Joey O'Brien wasn't playing in the Premiership when I made that prediction. I think he had only played in one of the UEFA cup games. I suppose Paul McShane was a regular for Man U back in September 2005 also was he?

By the way that comment at the end of the post was a joke. I'll stick a smiley face on such posts next time so the slightly less capable amongst us (you) can more easily identify them.

tetsujin1979
26/11/2007, 3:56 PM
Review of McGeady's performance against Aberdeen at the weekend: http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.1858358.0.0.php

Bottle of Tonic
26/11/2007, 8:53 PM
He had a great game again, but i'm not blind enough to realise that Aberdeen (although going well in the SPL) are a limited side against which to measure talent. He's been having a fantastic season against everyone, when things go wrong for him he just goes again for more. The no end product thing has been ****ing me off for a while. I've seen it time and again with Aiden and I think its people just stereotyping him into the 'tricky winger' category, without having seen him play much.

What pleases me most is the fans who previously have got on his back at CP are now silenced and he actually gets his name sung by the Celtic fans these days.

I wouldn't blame Ireland fans who have only seen him play for us think he's rubbish, but I look forward to the day when these fans opinions are changed aswell.

Docboy
27/11/2007, 12:04 PM
I reckon we should bide our time with the lad. He seems to have come on a lot this season and showed in spurts against the Welsh what he is capable of. I'd prefer to see him have a go on the right for us where he has a reliable full-back (Finnan) behind him to compensate for his defensive frailities. He certainly causes defenders anxious moments.

Kingdom
27/11/2007, 12:13 PM
I reckon we should bide our time with the lad. He seems to have come on a lot this season and showed in spurts against the Welsh what he is capable of. I'd prefer to see him have a go on the right for us where he has a reliable full-back (Finnan) behind him to compensate for his defensive frailities. He certainly causes defenders anxious moments.

Exactly. How old is he? 21? FFS there's plenty of time for him.

EAFC_rdfl
27/11/2007, 1:33 PM
the comment about his defensive frailties is a bit out of place, he was doing plenty working back on saturday, its obvious Gordon Strachan is teaching him plenty, his crossing was 100% on saturday, had no fear taking players on&did the less glamorous work well too. Ireland have yet to see his best, but its surely only a matter of time

eirebhoy
28/11/2007, 10:36 PM
McGeady was ok tonight, nothing special. Played on the right. Set up a free header 3 yards out for Jarosik with a fabulous cross but he shot wide. Set up Donati's goal in injury time with a low pass back towards the edge of the box.

Dunphy's backtracking was fully completed tonight. He's now happy to see McGeady do well.

Noelys Guitar
28/11/2007, 10:52 PM
Great comment from Strachan before the game.
1922: Celtic boss Gordon Strachan was asked what he thought about the Shakhtar coach's view that Celtic were lucky when they beat Milan and Benfica at home. Strachan replied: "He must be confusing me with somebody that is bothered."

I thought McGeady played well. If he can create a goal a game in tight game like this then he is doing well.

eirebhoy
28/11/2007, 10:57 PM
The goal he set up:
http://www.dailymotion.com/fwoman/video/6070534

Cross for Jarosik:
http://www.sendspace.pl/file/BAhgIzs0/

geysir
28/11/2007, 11:01 PM
I think Eirebhoy is understating with the just OK bit. :)
Apart from that wild pass across field, McGeady gave a good account of himself in tightly marked situations. He never let his head drop and kept composure all through the game. Superb drop of the shoulder when cornered before hitting the last ball across.

eirebhoy
28/11/2007, 11:06 PM
It wasn't up there with any of his last 6 or 7 performances anyway. ;) I thought he was Celtic's best player after Jarosik and Brown but Celtic were poor overall.

Stuttgart88
29/11/2007, 8:09 AM
Did you see where he was standing for the throw that ultimately led to the winner? McGeady took the throw in himself, standing with both feet about a foot onto the pitch!

an_ceannaire
29/11/2007, 8:59 AM
I have seen the future of Irish football, and it is Long and McGeady!!:)

gustavo
29/11/2007, 9:11 AM
I have seen the future of Irish football and it's long and arduous.

an_ceannaire
29/11/2007, 9:16 AM
Ba boom!!!!:D

gustavo
29/11/2007, 9:23 AM
Seriously though McGeadys development is encouraging :)

Flawless
29/11/2007, 11:18 AM
His development has been key to Celtics good performances of late, and he hasnt been too bad for ireland considering the other Sh!te thats been on the field at times!