PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

Noelys Guitar
16/10/2008, 2:03 PM
I will be very surprised if McGeady does not win us at least one peno before the end of this campaign. His close control most of the time last night was excellent and anytime he got into the Cypriot box I was hoping one of their defenders would knick McGeadys ankle. He is almost unplayable when he plays like he did in the first half.

Duggie
16/10/2008, 2:06 PM
i think mcgeady will be a massive player for us in the next few years. im so glad he always wanted to play for us and not scotland. some of his control was class last night. yes sometimes he could lay it off a fraction quicker and his crossing could be a wee bit better but that will all come good. think he will chip in with a few goals sooner rather than later also.

Docboy
16/10/2008, 3:12 PM
In fairness last night every time he looked up to put a cross in both Doyle & Keane were well covered by the Cyprus defence. The fact that neither of our centre-mids were pushing forward into the box meant there was little option both for McGeady & Duff but to turn around and try and maintain possession.

I thought McGeady did well last night, putting in more effort than before. Trapp's message must be getting across.

Reality Bites
16/10/2008, 3:34 PM
McGeadys progress in a year has been immense, I suspect by next spring he will have advanced another bit too, He will be an important player for us and if we do qualify for 2010 he will be one of the first names on the teamsheet

eirebhoy
16/10/2008, 4:31 PM
I think there's still many Irish people that see him as a brainless player and because of that they won't give him the benefit of the doubt for a lot of things (judging by the many people I talked to today). He put in a good few crosses last night with all of them falling to a Cyprus player but he still played the pass to Duff which led to the goal, played the pass to Duff for his shot on goal, played the pass to Doyle free in the box. He's created a load of clear cut chances in our 3 games so far. Probably more than the rest of the team combined and I don't think I'm exaggerating.

I thought he played well last night. It's interesting to hear the praise from Doyle, Given and Trap. They thought he was fantastic yet a lot of fans weren't too impressed. Celtic fans would have been happy with that performance in Europe. It wasn't his very best but it was a good performance.

paul_oshea
16/10/2008, 4:40 PM
EB there is definitely room for improvement but I think he is definitely going in the right direction.

Razors left peg
16/10/2008, 5:37 PM
I had an absolute clown sitting behind me in the Davin Stand last night that was giving out about McGeady at every opportunity.No matter how many good things he did in the game, any time there was a missed placed pass or he didnt beat his man the bloke behind me was saying how fcuking useless he is and shouting for him to be taken off.It seriously got on my nerves especially in the 2nd half.

Personally I though he was very good last night, there are improvements still to be made in his crossing at times and also some decision making but overall he looked dangerous all night and really should have scored. If him and Duffer maintain that form we'll be a threat to anyone

jmurphyc
16/10/2008, 5:42 PM
I said it in another thread but I'll say it here too. I like him a lot but last night I thought he was absolutely shocking in the second half. He gave the ball away countless times by holding onto possession for too long. He needs to improve drastically in this respect in my opinion.

bohsRap
16/10/2008, 7:48 PM
I said it in another thread but I'll say it here too. I like him a lot but last night I thought he was absolutely shocking in the second half. He gave the ball away countless times by holding onto possession for too long. He needs to improve drastically in this respect in my opinion.

Spot on. Decent performance, but he doesn't know when to pass and when to keep going. Also his crossing was unbelievably bad at times.

Maroon 7
16/10/2008, 9:45 PM
Spot on. Decent performance, but he doesn't know when to pass and when to keep going. Also his crossing was unbelievably bad at times.

He didn't have too many targets to aim for in the Cyprus penalty area though. Our central midfielders didn't get forward and our full backs weren't going forward. He was trying to pick out either Doyle or Keane in the box with at least 5 or 6 Cypriots around them. They just cleared everything.

I think he would have done better if he got any kind of support at all from the full-back behind him but McShane wasn't interested in coming forward (perhaps under instruction in fairness). It left McGeady up against two players usually but he still produced a good performance. I agree though that I think there is more to come from him.

jebus
17/10/2008, 1:22 AM
What nonsense are ye all talking in here? If Villa or a bigger club come in for McGeady he should go? What makes ye think that any club with any aspirations would come in for as limited a player as McGeady? He's shockingly bad at crossing, dribbling, passing, and well everything bar him having a bit of pace. He's our version of Darius Vassell in short

McGeady is a joke, Celtic are a joke, and the SPL is a joke, so they're all suited really

Lim till i die
17/10/2008, 1:42 AM
Word is going around that McGeady and Strachan have hardly spoken since the Rangers game after Strachan shouted at him at half time and McGeady answered back angrily. It was supposed to be for backing out of a challenge in the lead up to the Rangers goal and if it was I could understand McGeady because I know that Strachan would let many a player off for something similar.

This is the most blinkered thing I have read on foot.ie ever and that is saying an awful, awful lot.

Strachan has a go at him for bottling out in an Old Firm game and Strachan is the bad guy.

You sir are priceless :D

he still played the pass to Duff which led to the goal

I realise Darron Gibson's selection may have raised a few eyebrows but when the requirements for doing well for Ireland apparently amount to an ability to play a ball three yards square then I don't see the prob.

Absolutely ludicrous giving a professional footballer credit for that.

I'd ask you to take off the green and white tinted specs but I fear you'd only be rendered completely blind then.

McGeady was an absolute farce last night, gave the ball away literally dozens of times.

I actually remember saying to one of the lads while watching it last night that eventhough he was rubbish the mongos would all rave about him because he can do a few fancy tricks.

May I suggest picking a large, highly trained seal to play on the wing the next time??

Then everyone's a winner.

Don't worry though, I'm sure he'll be fantastic again against Buckie Thistle or The Famous Grouse or Stone Of Scone or some such on Saturday.

Get a clue ffs.

Donegalcelt
17/10/2008, 1:47 AM
or pike rovers?

eirebhoy
17/10/2008, 7:56 AM
This is the most blinkered thing I have read on foot.ie ever and that is saying an awful, awful lot.

Strachan has a go at him for bottling out in an Old Firm game and Strachan is the bad guy.

You sir are priceless :D
Well then that has to be one of the most ignorant because I'm one of the rare Celtic fans that actually supports Strachan too. If Nakamura didn't give his all in a tackle Strachan would not berate him. Strachan wouldn't shout at Naka for a single thing and the same thing can be said about many a player. Maybe you need to get the clue.

I've the match on Sky+. I'll let you know how many dozen times he lost possession.

Billsthoughts
17/10/2008, 8:01 AM
Its beyond me why people are criticising one of his first decent performances for Ireland. He did a couple of tricks that led to nothing but he also got about the pitch and worked hard.

OneRedArmy
17/10/2008, 8:07 AM
He played ok, nothing better, nothing worse.

He really needs to improve his end product sooner rather than later.

Billsthoughts
17/10/2008, 8:20 AM
The work-rate of our wingers was, again, of the highest standard and their defensive toil didn't hinder their initiative or spark.

Praise for Mageady from Brian Kerr today. Also criticised the "pernickity" crowd.

Royal rover
17/10/2008, 8:39 AM
mcgeady is the most exciting prospect we have had since keane and duff arrived on the seen - lads i'll make a very bold statement by saying that even England would relish having someone with Mcgeady's abiltiy in the squad- i think if had a decent midfield partnership we could go to greater things - potentially going forward it's the best we have had for as long as i can remember , mcgeady will shine - i think if had of scored that goal towards the end everyone would be singing his praises

tetsujin1979
17/10/2008, 9:39 AM
What nonsense are ye all talking in here? If Villa or a bigger club come in for McGeady he should go? What makes ye think that any club with any aspirations would come in for as limited a player as McGeady? He's shockingly bad at crossing, dribbling, passing, and well everything bar him having a bit of pace. He's our version of Darius Vassell in short

McGeady is a joke, Celtic are a joke, and the SPL is a joke, so they're all suited really

Villa to make £10 million bid for McGeady in January: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/17/aston-villa-to-bid-10million-for-celtic-s-aiden-mcgeady-115875-20812427/

Vassell is not a winger, he's a striker. He was pushed out there by Pearce to make up for a lack of wingers at the club at the time. He did the same thing with Ishmael Miller. Hughes played him up front in preseason, and he was scoring, but unfortunately he got injured in the last preseason friendly and is only getting back to fitness now.

EAFC_rdfl
17/10/2008, 9:40 AM

have a look (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/17/aston-villa-to-bid-10million-for-celtic-s-aiden-mcgeady-115875-20812427/)

fair enough it may be the daily mirror but it was on the radio earlier too. I guess Martin O'Neill must see something you don't. Then again, he's probably a joke too since he was involved with Celtic and the SPL

jmurphyc
17/10/2008, 10:19 AM
Its beyond me why people are criticising one of his first decent performances for Ireland. He did a couple of tricks that led to nothing but he also got about the pitch and worked hard.

I don't see why I shouldn't be able to criticise him. I think he's had some decent performances in an Ireland jersey and I think he could be an excellent player for us in the very near future but during the second half on Wednesday I thought he was abysmal. Any time the ball was played to him I got worried. I wasn't screaming abuse at him - unlike some - but I do feel I should be able to critique our player's performances. Likewise, others are entitled to their opinion but I can't see how anyone thought he played well on the night. However, I'll still be 100% supportive of him in the future.

geysir
17/10/2008, 10:30 AM
McGeady had a very good game on Wednesday, his best for us so far. He was running on fumes with 10 minutes to go.
His performances in the group games are improving game by game. I'd say Trap is well pleased with him and McGeady will be a fixture in the team.

Billsthoughts
17/10/2008, 10:33 AM
I am not saying you dont have the right to criticise. Am saying he was better on wed than he has been in any previous games for us. He was constantly involved in the game and his workrate was brilliant. He made the most of the one difficult chance that fell his way. This team is all about players working hard to compensate for less than exceptional ability. You got to give the lad his due for his workrate and his willingness to show for the ball.

Maroon 7
17/10/2008, 10:43 AM

Some people just don't want to give him a chance. I think there's a certain whiff of anti-Celticness about some of it. Fair enough if he plays crap he deserves criticism but the general opinion of this week's game is that he done fairly well with plenty of room for improvement but some are still intent on slating him no matter what.

Razors left peg
17/10/2008, 12:15 PM
Some people just don't want to give him a chance. I think there's a certain whiff of anti-Celticness about some of it. Fair enough if he plays crap he deserves criticism but the general opinion of this week's game is that he done fairly well with plenty of room for improvement but some are still intent on slating him no matter what.

Exactly what I was thinking... its almost like some people are delighted to see him make a mistake just so they can say "I told ya he was useless ages ago". He is improving all the time and some of his footwork the other night was brilliant to watch, for Jebus to say he cant dribble is comical.

jebus
17/10/2008, 3:03 PM
have a look (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/17/aston-villa-to-bid-10million-for-celtic-s-aiden-mcgeady-115875-20812427/)

fair enough it may be the daily mirror but it was on the radio earlier too. I guess Martin O'Neill must see something you don't. Then again, he's probably a joke too since he was involved with Celtic and the SPL

Martin O'neill is a quality manager and should never have been anywhere near the SPL to be fair, and he's entitled to think McGeady is worth €10m, in today's market that's not much for a supposedly excellent player but whatever. I've seen him 3 times live, and watched him on TV quite a bit and he's always failed to live up to expectations, especially live (for both Celtic and Ireland) where his movement in particular was nonsensical.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh on him because I feel some people overstate just how good he is, but I honestly think he's no better than a Darius Vassell or similar also rans and never will bes in the Premiership. If he proves me wrong I'll hold my hands up, but I doubt he will to be honest

thepiedpiper
17/10/2008, 3:56 PM
Martin O'neill is a quality manager and should never have been anywhere near the SPL to be fair, and he's entitled to think McGeady is worth €10m, in today's market that's not much for a supposedly excellent player but whatever. I've seen him 3 times live, and watched him on TV quite a bit and he's always failed to live up to expectations, especially live (for both Celtic and Ireland) where his movement in particular was nonsensical.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh on him because I feel some people overstate just how good he is, but I honestly think he's no better than a Darius Vassell or similar also rans and never will bes in the Premiership. If he proves me wrong I'll hold my hands up, but I doubt he will to be honest

McGeady has won three or four man of the matches in his ten or so Champions League Games (Porto home and away, Milan away, Rosenborg home are ones I can remember) so he hardly needs to prove it in the Premiership. As for Wednesday I thought he was excellent in the first half and was involved in the goal, threaded another one through to Duff for a shot, had a super turn and shot himself, went down the outside and whipped in the low cross that their lad nearly ballooned into his own goal himself and did one of his spins in the corner just for ****s and giggles. Basically, he was involved in everything good we did. That's end product - no matter what anyone says.

However, I do think he regressed in the second half. He was dispossessed trying to go by the full back on one occasion when he had no options in the box - fair enough. But there was another time when both strikers made runs and the ball needed to be whipped in and he took the man on and lost it. He still put loads of balls into the box though the quality varied. That said he came inside and fed a lovely ball through to Doyle for the chance where he rolled in across but Keane hadn't gambled on the ball. Aiden could have scored obviously too but it wasn't a gimme.

I reckon he needs to keep working on the timing and consistency of his delivery but that's not at all to say it's poor at the moment because he was involved in most of our good moments. However, he certainly has the tools to improve and I do think the 'no end product' comments are lazy clichés. He's also judged to a different standard than the rest of the players because he plays in Scotland and most of the media commentators and journalists have a big stiffy for all things English league.

Torn-Ado
17/10/2008, 4:49 PM
McGeady has won three or four man of the matches in his ten or so Champions League Games (Porto home and away, Milan away, Rosenborg home are ones I can remember) so he hardly needs to prove it in the Premiership. As for Wednesday I thought he was excellent in the first half and was involved in the goal, threaded another one through to Duff for a shot, had a super turn and shot himself, went down the outside and whipped in the low cross that their lad nearly ballooned into his own goal himself and did one of his spins in the corner just for ****s and giggles. Basically, he was involved in everything good we did. That's end product - no matter what anyone says.

However, I do think he regressed in the second half. He was dispossessed trying to go by the full back on one occasion when he had no options in the box - fair enough. But there was another time when both strikers made runs and the ball needed to be whipped in and he took the man on and lost it. He still put loads of balls into the box though the quality varied. That said he came inside and fed a lovely ball through to Doyle for the chance where he rolled in across but Keane hadn't gambled on the ball. Aiden could have scored obviously too but it wasn't a gimme.

I reckon he needs to keep working on the timing and consistency of his delivery but that's not at all to say it's poor at the moment because he was involved in most of our good moments. However, he certainly has the tools to improve and I do think the 'no end product' comments are lazy clichés. He's also judged to a different standard than the rest of the players because he plays in Scotland and most of the media commentators and journalists have a big stiffy for all things English league.

:confused:

Do you mean Benfica and Copenhagen by any chance?

Torn-Ado
17/10/2008, 4:51 PM
I am not saying you dont have the right to criticise. Am saying he was better on wed than he has been in any previous games for us. He was constantly involved in the game and his workrate was brilliant. He made the most of the one difficult chance that fell his way. This team is all about players working hard to compensate for less than exceptional ability. You got to give the lad his due for his workrate and his willingness to show for the ball.

Well said. McGeady had a good game against Cyprus. Him and Duff look like our main creative outlest for this campaign. His end product seems to be the cause of all the frustration.

eirebhoy
17/10/2008, 5:01 PM
Shay Given quotes from Scotland’s Evening Times:

"Aiden was fantastic against Cyprus on Wednesday night.

He was a real threat to the Cypriots. He was running at them, putting crosses into the penalty area and playing some threatening passes in the final third.

However, not only was he good in the attacking sense, but I thought he was brilliant at tracking back as well. He was definitely one of our best players.

If McGeady plays as well against Manchester United as he did on Wednesday night for Ireland, he'll be a handful for them.

I've no doubts whatsoever Aiden could play in the Premiership. He would cause a lot of defences a lot of problems if he was playing down in England.

As a Celtic fan, I'm glad he is still playing there, but if he was to decide in the future he wanted to try another league then he would be more than good enough to play down south.

I'd imagine Aiden's confidence is pretty good most of the time, but if he needs confidence then I'm sure he'll be on cloud nine after they way he performed against Cyprus. So that is good news for Celtic with such a big game looming.

I think Aiden has grown into it a bit more now. He has had to get to know the other players, how things work at international level and basically just what it takes to play for Ireland.

He is finding his feet now and I think the people who were at Croke Park, and the supporters who watched the match on TV, will be delighted that he is playing for us and is a fantastic player.”

That’s a few players now who have praised McGeady after Wednesday’s performance. Trap would certainly have been very happy with him too. I believe if he played like that for Celtic in the Champions league the fans would be happy with him. A couple of Scottish papers said he played well and they can compare that with his performances for Celtic. Don’t get me wrong, he wasn’t at his absolute best but I thought he did play very well. His control was excellent. He created a few chances. His work rate was fantastic. OK the ball was taken off him 2 or 3 times (that’s an accurate figure I think) but considering how many times he dribbled with the ball in tough situations that’s a very low figure. Some people like to exaggerate that figure though.

One mistake from McGeady and it seems to wipe the good contributions from the memories of many Irish fans. I’ve seen McGeady have a few poor games for Ireland through a lack of confidence but now he’s playing with confidence. He’s now playing at or close to the levels he plays with for Celtic. He’s not a world class player but the Irish players and management seem to rate his performances a lot higher than many of the fans and media over here. You certainly won’t be finding a Celtic fan calling McGeady a liability after a performance like that on Wednesday and you’d be doing well to even find some that would describe his performance as frustrating.

I get the feeling that when McGeady does win over the vast majority of Ireland fans, they could watch a tape of the Cyprus game again and they’d be a lot more impressed with McGeady than they were watching it live on Wednesday. The mistakes wouldn’t be as exaggerated and they’d understand that he has a lot more game intelligence than he’s given credit for. Keane played at least 2 simple passes to nobody on Wednesday. If Keane was as troublesome for the Cyprus defence as McGeady was he could make 3 times as many silly mistakes and the Irish fans wouldn’t mention them. I really believe that.

jmurphyc
17/10/2008, 5:13 PM
Shay Given quotes from Scotland’s Evening Times:
I get the feeling that when McGeady does win over the vast majority of Ireland fans, they could watch a tape of the Cyprus game again and they’d be a lot more impressed with McGeady than they were watching it live on Wednesday. The mistakes wouldn’t be as exaggerated and they’d understand that he has a lot more game intelligence than he’s given credit for. Keane played at least 2 simple passes to nobody on Wednesday. If Keane was as troublesome for the Cyprus defence as McGeady was he could make 3 times as many silly mistakes and the Irish fans wouldn’t mention them. I really believe that.

McGeady had already won me over personally. I never really criticised him before and believed (and I still do) that he will become an absolutely crucial player for us in future. I thought he'd done alright in previous games and shown enough to suggest that he could be a real threat for us, however, in the second half on Wednesday I thought he was very, very poor. He may come back and have a good game (in my eyes) in one of the next few games and I'll say so if I believe it to be the case but on my initial viewing of the game I thought he had a very, very poor game. For me, he was our worst player in that half by a mile. As I said though, I'm not anti-McGeady at all, and if I believe he has a good game I'll say so as I have no agenda to keep up with.

The Legend
17/10/2008, 5:30 PM
as someone who thinks McGeady is overrated, i think he did very well on wednesday. If he could finish better, he'd be really excellent.

stojkovic
17/10/2008, 8:28 PM
I still can't see what all the fuss is about. McGeady is nowhere near as exciting a prospect as Robbie and Duffer were at that age. To me he is more of a McAteer or Gary Kelly - a good player but not a great one.

He had a decent first half on Wednesday but was shocking in the second but unfortunately Celthick fans cant see that.

Stuttgart88
17/10/2008, 8:47 PM
I'm a fan of McGeady but I think my frustration with him in the second half was due to his sloppy loss of possession at times. This loss of possession frustrated me more because CM seemed incapable of winning it back, it left McShane exposed (what didn't?) and I was worried that Cyprus may get an equaliser. A lifetime of following Ireland does that to you.

His corners were frustrating too, failing to beat the first man a few times.

However, I'd imagine neutrals watching the game would have felt it was worth the admission money just to see his footwork and ability to leave his marker for dead in tight spaces.

On balance he was far more of an asset than a liability on Wednesday. Any flair player should be allowed to make mistakes - it's not McGeady's fault that there wasn't anyone capable of covering for him. Imagine if Finnan had been behind him...

irishfan86
17/10/2008, 9:11 PM
Imagine if Finnan had been behind him...

This may be my weird and incorrect view, but I think Finnan and McGeady don't work well together.

When I watched the first two games, where Finnan and McGeady played down the same flank (at least for parts of the match), Finnan pushed forward at times as he likes to do, and demanded the ball off McGeady.

You could tell that Finnan didn't really trust McGeady, and thus was taking on some of the attacking impetus himself.

He would pass the ball to McGeady and then bomb forward demanding the ball back in a one-two play.

Then, when McGeady didn't hit it back immediately, instead trying to take on his man, Finnan looked visibly frustrated.

With McShane, limited though he is as a full-back, there was no question about who would be controlling that right-flank when we were in possession.

Not saying McShane-McGeady is better than Finnan-McGeady, I'm just saying I don't think Finnan particularly enjoys playing with him down that flank.

Perhaps an understanding will develop over time, or perhaps I'm just reading too much into things, but I remember this sticking out for me after watching the first couple of matches.

shakermaker1982
17/10/2008, 9:27 PM
I'd say that was his best game in an Irish shirt for us so far. He was excellent in the first half but had a quiet second half. His end product will hopefully improve with time and experience so fingers crossed Duff and himself remain injury free for the whole campaign.

Lim till i die
18/10/2008, 12:22 AM
Well then that has to be one of the most ignorant because I'm one of the rare Celtic fans that actually supports Strachan too. If Nakamura didn't give his all in a tackle Strachan would not berate him. Strachan wouldn't shout at Naka for a single thing and the same thing can be said about many a player. Maybe you need to get the clue.

How he deals with Naka is irrelevant (Naka is another over-rated nobody while I'm at it).

McGeady bottled out therefore he was wrong.

Should take it like a man as opposed to a spoilt child

I've the match on Sky+. I'll let you know how many dozen times he lost possession

I look forward to it with baited breath.

I can PM you my adress should you have trouble counting once the digits run out.

Lim till i die
18/10/2008, 12:25 AM
Villa to make £10 million bid for McGeady in January: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/17/aston-villa-to-bid-10million-for-celtic-s-aiden-mcgeady-115875-20812427/

Why, he could be the next Shaun Maloney!!!

eirebhoy
20/10/2008, 1:16 PM
I look forward to it with baited breath.

I can PM you my adress should you have trouble counting once the digits run out.
Got a chance to watch the game again today. McGeady had the ball tackled from him twice which isn't bad considering he took on opponents at least 15 times. He misplaced 2 passes in the match too. Both simple enough passes but still a very low figure.

Most of his crosses went straight to Cyprus players but if a winger crosses a ball 10 times and 3 of those reach a teammate he's doing very well. I forgot it until I watched the match again but McGeady also sent in the low cross which caused panic in the Cyprus defence. It was heading for Duff to tap in before the Cyprus player jumped on top of Duff to put it out for a corner. Another one of his crosses was put out for a corner too. Overall his crossing wasn't great but he only started to cross the ball after about an hour.

Anyway, after watching that and having the stats I can safely say I'm not the only Irish person with bias when it comes to McGeady.

Junior
20/10/2008, 5:26 PM
However, I'd imagine neutrals watching the game would have felt it was worth the admission money just to see his footwork and ability to leave his marker for dead in tight spaces.

On balance he was far more of an asset than a liability on Wednesday. Any flair player should be allowed to make mistakes.........

Pretty much all the points I wanted to make have already been made so I won't rehash the same arguments.

However, I think this point is all too often overlooked, whether it be Celtic or Ireland fans. As a youngster in the playground it was all about dribbling, the great solo effort that gave you a buzz, once you start watching the pro's its the dribbling of maradonna, the cruyff turn, Ronaldhino flick (and so on, you get the point) that bring the crowd to their feet and puts a buzz in the crowd. Aiden did it on a few occasions on Weds and will do it on many more. Yes it doesnt always come off (it doesnt for the best of players) but thats just the way it is.

Ill always prefer to watch a Duff or McGeady leaving players for dead, than route one stuff any day of the week.

Mcgeady46
21/10/2008, 12:50 PM
Pretty much all the points I wanted to make have already been made so I won't rehash the same arguments.

However, I think this point is all too often overlooked, whether it be Celtic or Ireland fans. As a youngster in the playground it was all about dribbling, the great solo effort that gave you a buzz, once you start watching the pro's its the dribbling of maradonna, the cruyff turn, Ronaldhino flick (and so on, you get the point) that bring the crowd to their feet and puts a buzz in the crowd. Aiden did it on a few occasions on Weds and will do it on many more. Yes it doesnt always come off (it doesnt for the best of players) but thats just the way it is.

Ill always prefer to watch a Duff or McGeady leaving players for dead, than route one stuff any day of the week.

Well said mate could'nt agree more, any1 who was at them atch will remember that 19 out of 20 kickouts were aimed at doyle, a player who can make a bit of magic is priceless, Mcgeady gettin better every game for Ireland and we sure don't have any1 better than him to replace him!! Hunt is good but certainally not better!

eirebhoy
21/10/2008, 8:40 PM
Very mature performance from McGeady tonight. Looked good.

eirebhoy
21/10/2008, 9:00 PM
McGeady getting stick on a Celtic forum for his performance. I just don't know. He doesn't take on players too much so they're not happy. I genuinely don't remember him misplacing a single pass and that's not easy in a game like this. Considering he played the pass more than he usually would that's not bad.

Lim till i die
21/10/2008, 11:54 PM
Anyway, after watching that and having the stats I can safely say I'm not the only Irish person with bias when it comes to McGeady.

I hate him I do.

He raped my father and killed my mother

:rolleyes:

Your "analysis" of the United game tonight aswell is pathetic.

jebus
21/10/2008, 11:57 PM
Very mature performance from McGeady tonight. Looked good.

Mature as in past his prime? If so then I agree

irishfan86
22/10/2008, 3:55 AM
Celtic were starved for possession tonight. If you honestly want to rip McGeady apart for that you know nothing about the game of football.

Not saying he had a good performance, but I wouldn't call it a bad one either.

shakermaker1982
22/10/2008, 7:14 AM
Celtic were woeful. McGeady looked decent at times but losing the ball on the edge of your area wasn't too clever!

BigmanCas
22/10/2008, 7:30 AM
Celtic were woeful. McGeady looked decent at times but losing the ball on the edge of your area wasn't too clever!

I will admit that on one or two occasions last night he did leave the ball behind him on the edge of the box which in my opinion is criminal but other aspects of his game far outweighed his silly gaffs. He ran at Neville/O Shea quite often and caused the most problems for the Utd reargaurd.

However he was given absolutely no support for the his two fullbacks. He is a young man and needs this support especially against a team as good as Man Utd. Wilson and especially Naylor are bad.

eirebhoy
22/10/2008, 7:38 AM
Your "analysis" of the United game tonight aswell is pathetic.
I actually do feel biased now because for the first time I actually rate a McGeady performance higher than Celtic fans. ;) Thankfully I think Strachan and Trap would have been very happy with McGeady last night.

Anyway, that was the happiest I've been with McGeady for Celtic probably this season. Not that it was his best performance in terms of tricks, flicks, beating players and creating chances but it was a very encouraging performance because he showed plenty of intelligence. Miles better than his last game at Old Trafford. He looked very confident. As I say didn't waste a pass. Made 3 good runs inside to take a shot on. Only 1 of those shots came off though. Other than his dispossession in his own half by Berbatov I couldn't fault his decision making. Played the simple pass more often than not and it's something I think most of us wanted to see more of from McGeady. No need to run at a player all the time.

carloz
22/10/2008, 10:19 AM
Celtic were bloody woeful last night. Little McGeady could have done as he saw very little of the ball. If i were a Celtic fan the two players i would be questioning would be Brown and Robson. The were woeful last night and celtics central midfield was quite frankly a joke. I wouldnt read too muh into McGeadys performance last night. All i will say is that he eeds to get out of Celtic sooner rather than later.