PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

eirebhoy
22/02/2008, 9:46 AM
He beat him to set up the 2nd. Just about got by the other guy (can't remember who it was) but it wasn't exactly through great skill. Similar to 2 of his crosses against Aberdeen. He didn't need to get past the players completely to send in the cross. Puyol certainly felt threatened by him for the entire game. In fact, he paid so much attention to McGeady that McDonald found himself in loads of space on the left a couple of times. Encouraging performance anyway. I wouldn't think twice about playing him for Ireland from now on.

BigmanCas
22/02/2008, 10:56 AM
He beat him to set up the 2nd. Just about got by the other guy (can't remember who it was) but it wasn't exactly through great skill. Similar to 2 of his crosses against Aberdeen. He didn't need to get past the players completely to send in the cross. Puyol certainly felt threatened by him for the entire game. In fact, he paid so much attention to McGeady that McDonald found himself in loads of space on the left a couple of times. Encouraging performance anyway. I wouldn't think twice about playing him for Ireland from now on.

A bit of sense from you EB - at last!

therock67
22/02/2008, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure if I am thinking of the same times here, but mcgeady didn't actually beat him on the inside, he came inside, diagonal across to get those balls in. still he did get the cross in though.

He beat him enough to get the cross in - that's the point. He doesn't need to put Puyol on the floor to have him beaten, he just needs to make room for an unobstructed cross which is what he did the first time. The second time he did the same thing except this time he had a shot on goal.

Don't want to be pedantic about it but that's beating the defender in my book. In fact that's probably one of the biggest improvements in McGeady's game this year - he realises that he only needs to get a yard on the defender, he doesn't need to trick his way past him 3 or 4 times.

Billsthoughts
22/02/2008, 1:49 PM
I wouldn't think twice about playing him for Ireland from now on.
:confused:
Thank god your not the manager then....hasnt done anything at international level to warrant a guaranteed starting place.

eirebhoy
22/02/2008, 2:38 PM
:confused:
Thank god your not the manager then....hasnt done anything at international level to warrant a guaranteed starting place.
I thought I answered this one already. :) He was full of confidence against Brazil. That's good enough for me to show that he's gotten over his confidence problems. It started with his sub appearance against Cyprus. Than a half decent display against Wales. He feels he has finally done himself justice. btw, I can't believe some people didn't think he played well against Brazil.

I've deleted a few posts replying to BigmanCas and he's got his 2nd warning now since joining foot.ie.

BaZmO*
25/02/2008, 9:14 AM
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=596596

Newcastle rumoured to be looking towards a 12m signing of McGeady in the summer.

I especially like near the bottom where a spanish pundit praised Aiden as a "blonde version of Maradonna" :rolleyes:
Oh God! I really hope he doesn't go to the circus that is Newcastle FC!

Morbo
25/02/2008, 9:32 AM
Agreed, Newcastle are a joke, he would be better off staying in the SPL

youngirish
25/02/2008, 12:53 PM
Newcastle rumoured to be looking towards a 12m signing of McGeady in the summer.

Can't believe these rumours. Would even Kevin Keegan be stupid enough to pay 12m for McGeady providing he's still in the job at the end of the summer? Still haven't seen much from him to suggest anything other than he'd be a fairly average Premiership player.

Reminds me of Shaun Maloney who got all the hype from Celtic a few years ago (in fact if anything he looked a more effective player than McGeady). He was rubbish in the Premiership though when playing against decent defenders with a bit of pace and strength.

He would do better somewhere on the continent than in the Premiership imo.

Wolfie
25/02/2008, 1:04 PM
Newcastle would be better served signing a brand new back 4.

Moving there could be the ruination of McGeady. He'd be better off remaining a relatively big fish in a small pond for the moment. I think Liam Miller would offer the same advice.

eirebhoy
25/02/2008, 1:07 PM
Reminds me of Shaun Maloney who got all the hype from Celtic a few years ago (in fact if anything he looked a more effective player than McGeady). He was rubbish in the Premiership though when playing against decent defenders with a bit of pace and strength.

I think you need to watch a bit more of Maloney if you think he was ever rubbish for Villa. Excellent player who the Villa fans definitely rate.

McGeady's linked with Bayern Munich in the Mirror today. Most likely made up.

Strachan:
I don't need £12million and I'd rather keep all the good players instead. You have to ask when you are selling players like that if you can get replacements. We want to keep the good players here and we want to keep them happy."

jmurphyc
25/02/2008, 1:08 PM
I think McGeady could probably do with a year or so more at Celtic. He's probably too young to move away just yet, especially if it's to the continent.

Seagull-4-life
25/02/2008, 4:12 PM
I think the lad is under too much pressure at the mo and it could start affecting him...he's only a young lad

geysir
25/02/2008, 5:42 PM
Don't be fooled by the baby face, he is as tough as nails and a dedicated disciplined footballer.
He'll be 22 soon. Probably the POY in Scotland this season. If he is so inclined it would be a great time for him to move. I think he would have the pick of a number of good clubs to go to. Newcastle sounds as welcome as a graveyard though.

McGeady10
25/02/2008, 6:12 PM
McGeady suffered shocking abuse yesterday at Love Street for the crime of being Irish.

This video is just a taster :(

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsprR3HMQk

geysir
26/02/2008, 1:45 PM
Exile on Love Street :)

Billsthoughts
26/02/2008, 2:20 PM
McGeady suffered shocking abuse yesterday at Love Street for the crime of being Irish.

This video is just a taster :(

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsprR3HMQk

Needs subtitles. Scotland seems to have a higher ratio of scrotes than anywhere else in the world.

backstothewall
26/02/2008, 6:03 PM
If Milner was moving on and he would be getting a regular berth on the right with duff on the left it could be excellent for Ireland. There are very few clubs in england that would represent a good move for him at the minute. newcastle are one of the better potential moves imo. Villa or Everton would be a good step similarly, or a move to the continent. But at this stage if he was to move it is most important that he he gets a game where he goes. another season at celtic would do no harm at all.

boovidge
26/02/2008, 6:19 PM
Newcastle would definately be a disaster. How many players go there and enhance their career?

eirebhoy
27/02/2008, 9:14 AM
Tommy Burns:

'Aiden had some fantastic games last year, and possibly the year before, but this year he has been the difference.

'Naka was injured for a long time and it was important that if he was going to take the next step to being the player we know he is going to be then he had to step up to the plate and take on the playmaker role. And he has done that fantastically well.

'You see some of the magical things he does in games and I think some of the players are in awe of him, even in training.

'The one thing you don't want to be is a full-back coming over here on trial - I think he has been through three or four of them - because he is the guy they come up against.

'He has been sensational and there is more to come from him.

'He will get better and better because he has got the eye of the tiger - that hunger that he wants to go to the very highest level - and I think he is capable of doing that.'

eirebhoy
27/02/2008, 8:07 PM
Another assist by McGeady just there. Superb cross for Samaras. To have 15 assists is fantastic considering I can't remember him taking an indirect set piece this season.

The Legend
27/02/2008, 9:08 PM
maybe i'll jump on everyone's bandwagon when he does something for Ireland.

eirebhoy
27/02/2008, 9:31 PM
I don't know about a bandwagon. It's only a realistic reflection of his performances. It's time to get excited about the player at last. That's just my opinion so don't ask to explain the reasoning on that again. ;)

I think some people on here think that I've been playing McGeady up on here for years, or at least holding back on my true thoughts. There's only one competitive game I think I'd have called for McGeady to start and that was Cyprus away. Before then and since then I didn't think he was ready to play for us. Now I'm absolutely certain he's ready. For once I can actually play him up out in the real (non internet) world because believe it or not, I'd never sing the praises of the likes of McGeady, McShane or Stokes out in public (basically because I don't want to endure 3 or 4 years of stick before they prove themselves and then they'll forget I rated them in the first place). :D

Anyway, just had to get that off my chest in case people think this one man bandwagon has been running since McGeady made his debut.

Junior
28/02/2008, 2:26 PM
Im with you EB.

In a nutshell, its only this season that Celtic fans have even sung his name or that he is getting recognition from the majority of the support. Until this season it seems to have been split 50:50 with some thinking he was brilliant and others thinking he was just some twinkle toed one trick pony.

Ive loved him since he first started playing for us, yes he could be naieve at time, lost the ball, tried to do too much, poor final ball etc..- but he still managed to get you on your feet and excited with a great bit of skill or run at some point in his games. As you have pointed out in numerous posts, he was performing well in seasons gone by, just not consistently enough - now he is doing that. The negativity surrounding him on this forum is ridiculous, I agree he hasnt done a great deal for us as yet but his performances have been limited, Duff took an absolute age to do anything for us and its not as though we are blessed with plenty of other players who are doing what he can do. Give him a chance and please god he'll grow in to the role for Ireland, once he has a decent run of games under his belt.

His assists stats are great as you say, but not only that, the amount of great balls he gets in (over 90mins) that havent ended in a goal - the vast majority from open play is excellent. I go to the majority of Celtic home games and a significant nbr of the away ones are on setanta. Some additional stats like number of crosses, shots,mileage covered per game would be good, because he covers some ground.

That was a ramble, but he will come good for Ireland - we should just support him in the lead up to that point.

EAFC_rdfl
28/02/2008, 2:51 PM
Im with you EB.

In a nutshell, its only this season that Celtic fans have even sung his name or that he is getting recognition from the majority of the support. Until this season it seems to have been split 50:50 with some thinking he was brilliant and others thinking he was just some twinkle toed one trick pony.

Ive loved him since he first started playing for us, yes he could be naieve at time, lost the ball, tried to do too much, poor final ball etc..- but he still managed to get you on your feet and excited with a great bit of skill or run at some point in his games. As you have pointed out in numerous posts, he was performing well in seasons gone by, just not consistently enough - now he is doing that. The negativity surrounding him on this forum is ridiculous, I agree he hasnt done a great deal for us as yet but his performances have been limited, Duff took an absolute age to do anything for us and its not as though we are blessed with plenty of other players who are doing what he can do. Give him a chance and please god he'll grow in to the role for Ireland, once he has a decent run of games under his belt.

His assists stats are great as you say, but not only that, the amount of great balls he gets in (over 90mins) that havent ended in a goal - the vast majority from open play is excellent. I go to the majority of Celtic home games and a significant nbr of the away ones are on setanta. Some additional stats like number of crosses, shots,mileage covered per game would be good, because he covers some ground.

That was a ramble, but he will come good for Ireland - we should just support him in the lead up to that point.
ramble or not I couldn't have put it better myself, plenty nails hit on the head there. I've stopped trying to defend him with some of the begrudging on here, I know how good he is / could be and thats good enough for me!

Guidedbyvoices
28/02/2008, 2:58 PM
McGeady is a player and a good one at that. Yep he has had the few bad outings for Ireland but tell us one player that played consistantly well in an Irish top for the last few years. No one that's correct not one at all.He is unfortuantly a scapegoat for many on here usually when we lose. This will all change no doubt about it.

geysir
28/02/2008, 3:57 PM
Im with you EB.
The negativity surrounding him on this forum is ridiculous
Another hyper sensitive McGeady fan:confused:
The majority of fans are quite positive to McGeady on this forum.
80 to 90% of Ireland fans were very positive towards McGeady for his last performance against Brazil.

Don't forget, Eirebhoy has promised to run naked in Dublin in a couple of years time if McGeady is not our best player by then.

Seagull-4-life
28/02/2008, 4:02 PM
Lad's only 21 all this speculation and stuff will be affecting him I'd say. He just wants to play football.
Best thing for him is maybe 2 years with Celtic then look to move.
What you's reckon?

boovidge
28/02/2008, 4:13 PM
if he can get a move to spain then go for it as soon as possible. We need more players playing outside of Britain. Joe Lapira doesn't count :D

eirebhoy
28/02/2008, 4:20 PM
80 to 90% of Ireland fans were very positive towards McGeady for his last performance against Brazil.
The fans weren't anywhere near as positive as I thought they'd be after that performance. He was definitely my motm and I doubt very many on here would have had him as motm. I suppose the lack of stick he took is a good sign though because when he does have a poor game there's plenty of people on here willing to slag him off.

BigmanCas
28/02/2008, 4:45 PM
The fans weren't anywhere near as positive as I thought they'd be after that performance. He was definitely my motm and I doubt very many on here would have had him as motm. I suppose the lack of stick he took is a good sign though because when he does have a poor game there's plenty of people on here willing to slag him off.

I expect Aiden Mc Geady to be recognised as one of the best ever players to don the 'Green Jersey' and although I have said this for years - I didn't expect it to happen so soon but his recent performances have been out of this world (Benfica, Brazil and Aberdeen to name three).

While support is gathering on this Island for the young lad - I cannot believe this recognition has taken so long. From day one, it was blatently obvious that the guy had serious talent - (The performance as an 18 year old against Milan in 2005 and Nesta's gesture of appreciation during the game testify to this).

Without doubt the MOTM against Brazil.

Sadly, I really do believe that the majority who post messages on this site hang on Eamonn Dunphys every word.

NeilMcD
28/02/2008, 6:04 PM
I expect Aiden Mc Geady to be recognised as one of the best ever players to don the 'Green Jersey' and although I have said this for years - I didn't expect it to happen so soon but his recent performances have been out of this world (Benfica, Brazil and Aberdeen to name three).

While support is gathering on this Island for the young lad - I cannot believe this recognition has taken so long. From day one, it was blatently obvious that the guy had serious talent - (The performance as an 18 year old against Milan in 2005 and Nesta's gesture of appreciation during the game testify to this).

Without doubt the MOTM against Brazil.

Sadly, I really do believe that the majority who post messages on this site hang on Eamonn Dunphys every word.

He was man of the match but out of this world is way over the top. He was man of the match for Ireland but was not the best player on the pitch that night. He is playing very well at the moment for Ireland. However he still need to convince me he can do it away from home for Ireland.

Also Dunphy has congratulated Mc Geady of late and was raving about him against Brazil.

A bit of balance is needed and he is on great form at the moment and is technically better than Hunt by a good bit but I think Hunt works back more so away from home I would go with Hunt at the moment.

BigmanCas
28/02/2008, 8:25 PM
He was man of the match but out of this world is way over the top. He was man of the match for Ireland but was not the best player on the pitch that night. He is playing very well at the moment for Ireland. However he still need to convince me he can do it away from home for Ireland.

Also Dunphy has congratulated Mc Geady of late and was raving about him against Brazil.

A bit of balance is needed and he is on great form at the moment and is technically better than Hunt by a good bit but I think Hunt works back more so away from home I would go with Hunt at the moment.
Hunt would not lace Mc Geadys' boots. Hunt is without doubt one of the most overrated players in the premiership and his ability will in no way help save Reading from their inevitable relegation. Never Hunt before Mc Geady, Never.

NeilMcD
28/02/2008, 8:56 PM
There is more to footballl that just ability as we can see with Liam Miller. Attitude and tracking back and getting stuck in also. Hunt has that in abundance. I think he is overrated but some people also and he has become a bit of a cult hero amongst the Irish fans and Mc Geady has far more ability than Hunt does, however as I said there is more to football than ability

finnpark
28/02/2008, 9:15 PM
McGeady is an excellent Scottish league player but just average at CL and International level. Just average! :)

eirebhoy
28/02/2008, 9:22 PM
Voted in Celtic's top 3 players by the fans in the following CL games this season:

29-Aug-07 Celtic 1 v 1 Sp Moscow CL Qual - 1 Boruc - 2 McManus - 3 McGeady
24-Oct-07 Benfica 1 v 0 Celtic CL - 1 Boruc - 2 McGeady - 3 Hartley
06-Nov-07 Celtic 1 v 0 Benfica CL - 1 McGeady - 2 Hartley - 3 McDonald
28-Nov-07 Celtic 2 v 1 Shaktar Donetsk CL - 1 Jarosik - 2 McGeady - 3 Hartley
20-Feb-08 Celtic 2 v 3 Barcelona CL - 1 Boruc - 2 JVoH - 3 McGeady

His poor international form was down to confidence and I'm sure he's over that now.

NeilMcD
28/02/2008, 10:16 PM
Eirebhoy you are a guy who watches him a lot, who do you think is nearer the truth on this , the opinion I said below or bigmancas.

paul_oshea
28/02/2008, 10:21 PM
Another hyper sensitive McGeady fan:confused:
The majority of fans are quite positive to McGeady on this forum.

Don't forget, Eirebhoy has promised to run naked in Dublin in a couple of years time if McGeady is not our best player by then.

I dont remember that part...is that just something you were hoping for?!

geysir
28/02/2008, 10:53 PM
Paul, Eirebhoy isn't the only one with a long memory :)
Naked run promise (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=528025&postcount=21)
I´ll just take a photo as evidence but I think I'd prefer the sight of McGeady accepting the POTY award before 2011.

eirebhoy
28/02/2008, 10:57 PM
Jesus I can't believe I posted that. :D I was expecting to see a post time of 4am.

BigmanCas
29/02/2008, 8:37 AM

It seems to have coincided with quiet a few change of hearts:cool:

ifk101
29/02/2008, 8:38 AM

It seems to have coincided with quiet a few change of hearts:cool:

Don't take it so hard Aiden.

BTW, shouldn't you be at training? Look at what happened to Liam at Sunderland. Could be you next.

paul_oshea
29/02/2008, 8:39 AM
Paul, Eirebhoy isn't the only one with a long memory :)
Naked run promise (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=528025&postcount=21)
I´ll just take a photo as evidence but I think I'd prefer the sight of McGeady accepting the POTY award before 2011.

I remembered it, I was just hoping that not too many others, but hey go on ruin my joke :mad: :D

paul_oshea
29/02/2008, 8:39 AM
Don't take it so hard Aiden.

BTW, shouldn't you be at training? Look at what happened to Liam at Sunderland. Could be you next.

LOL :D

youngirish
29/02/2008, 9:33 AM
How easy people forget how bad McGeady has been for us in the competitive matches in our last campaign (when it actually mattered). He was our worst player against those world beaters Slovakia not once but twice. Also absolute rubbish against Cyprus away.

Ok we all have our off days but anyone who thinks someone that is a potentially World Class player can be out performed by the likes of JOS or Kevin Kilbane needs to check themselves into the funny farm before they hurt themselves.

An average player at best. The only reason there's hype about him by Irish fans is because:

1. He plays for Celtic
2. He likes to do a few nice tricks

He would struggle to hold down a regular place for any of the top 10 teams in the Premiership.

geysir
29/02/2008, 9:42 AM
Okay youngirish here is the challenge, if McGeady is POTY by 2011 then in a sober state you run naked down O'Connell st ;)

Stuttgart88
29/02/2008, 10:10 AM
crikey, for a guy who calls himself "youngirish" don't you think the guy should be cut some slack because of his age? Maybe Leon Best's goals on loan at Exeter excite you more than McGeady playing well against top European opposition, but for most of us it's the other way around.

19/20 year old in poor Irish performances in worst Irish team in a generation under worst Irish manager in living memory. Yeah, write him off.

BigmanCas
29/02/2008, 10:10 AM
How easy people forget how bad McGeady has been for us in the competitive matches in our last campaign (when it actually mattered). He was our worst player against those world beaters Slovakia not once but twice. Also absolute rubbish against Cyprus away.

Ok we all have our off days but anyone who thinks someone that is a potentially World Class player can be out performed by the likes of JOS or Kevin Kilbane needs to check themselves into the funny farm before they hurt themselves.

An average player at best. The only reason there's hype about him by Irish fans is because:

1. He plays for Celtic
2. He likes to do a few nice tricks

He would struggle to hold down a regular place for any of the top 10 teams in the Premiership.
Absolute codswallop. He was not near the worst player in Bratislava - S Ireland/J Douglas were the only two up for that award. While it is easy to blame the guy with the skill for not performing, it would be wise to acknowlegde the young fella's age. He has the world at his feet. Name one player who was good in Nicosia? Again Mc Geady was far from the worst. The names A O Brien, P Kenny and S Ireland spring to mind. Give the lad a chance. I cannot believe you refuse to appreciate a talent such as Mc Geady - made even more strange by the fact he is Irish. Maybe you listen too much to Mr Dunphy!!!!!!! He would struggle to hold a regular place for any of the top 10 teams in the premiership??? Nonsense......

BaZmO*
29/02/2008, 10:12 AM
The negativity surrounding him on this forum is ridiculous, I agree he hasnt done a great deal for us as yet but his performances have been limited
You do realise that this is an "Ireland" forum don't you? And his performances for Ireland haven't been great compared to his Celtic performances and as a result people have been reluctant to wax lyrical about his abilities. That seems to be changing now because his overall game and in particular his performances in an Ireland shirt are improving and hopefully that will continue to be the case.

As has been pointed out already, one of the biggest improvements with McGeady has been his ability to realise when and when not to use his tricks. He only really needs to do a trick to gain himself an extra yard on a player so that he can get a cross in. The old McGeady would pass a player only to run himself back into trouble. I think it's a thing that a lot of young wingers initially do until they learn better.

Stuttgart88
29/02/2008, 10:24 AM
OK, so Middlesbrough are nowhere near top 10 in the Premiership, but I watched 30 mins of their match against Sheff United on Weds and couldn't believe my eyes. Just like Billsthoughts was saying after Ireland vs Brazil, it was abject rubbish, not a hint of talent or composure in the game. Pass, pass, hoof, lose possession, lunge tackle to win it back. Over and over again.

The highly rated young Stewart Downing was part of this tripe. Don't tell me McGeady isn't at least as good.

The English game has had no place for talented creative types for a long time and only the best teams can accomodate the more talented but less physically imposing players. The rest just make do with scrapping with each other at a high tempo, which the crowds love. I'm not scapegoating Matthew Taylor in any way, but only in England or Ireland would that type of tackle be tolerated. Even if the ball had been won it might have been a foul in other countries. That's how football is played in England.

Just because McGeady's type of play mightn't get him into a top Premiership team doesn't mean the guy hasn't got bags of talent.

I see him as being similar in style to Hleb, remarkable feet but not as good yet at passing. Joe Cole is one of Chelsea's more important players so I don't see why McGeady couldn't cut it at a top EPL team, and the fact that he wouldn't be wanted at a lesser EPL team says more about the way they play than McGeady.

I could see a hypothetical case of McGeady being one of Wenger's Carling Cup players and a some time first teamer at Arsenal, with the potential after one year of acclimatisation to actually get into their regular first team. I could see McGeady being in Spurs' team immediately.

eirebhoy
29/02/2008, 10:26 AM
crikey, for a guy who calls himself "youngirish" don't you think the guy should be cut some slack because of his age? Maybe Leon Best's goals on loan at Exeter excite you more than McGeady playing well against top European opposition, but for most of us it's the other way around.

19/20 year old in poor Irish performances in worst Irish team in a generation under worst Irish manager in living memory. Yeah, write him off.
Exactly.

I always say it but look at Franck Ribery. At the age of 21 he was playing in the French 3rd tier. It was his 3rd season in the 3rd division with his 3rd different club. Very similar player to McGeady.