sporting
21/07/2008, 4:06 PM
who will win the 1st division?

The Lilywhites
21/07/2008, 4:09 PM
Dundalk, obviously.

sporting
21/07/2008, 4:12 PM
dont think so. they'll bottle it as usuall.

SalvadorSanchez
21/07/2008, 4:37 PM
next season Galway United, if we're still around..........

LeixlipRed
21/07/2008, 4:53 PM
At this moment I think Fingal will. They've the momentum and we're absolute muck at the moment. Though our next 5 games are against the dregs of the division so 5 wins from 5 and I might change my mind.

TheFingallian
21/07/2008, 5:00 PM
We havn't hit our bad patch yet. Can't go through a season without one. That will probably put a halt to our ambitions until next year. Limerick are coming in a weeks time while Shels play muck teams. The way they are playing they could beat us. Then in August we go to Waterford and play Shels and Dundalk at Morton. Those games will have a big say in whether Fingal are capable or not of winning it.

skitz3
21/07/2008, 5:00 PM
Kildare County

sporting
21/07/2008, 5:07 PM
we have proved we are more than capeble of getting results against the top 3. and with us playing athlone and limerick in next 2 games, i think we'll be top of table monday night.

Black and White
21/07/2008, 5:10 PM
Dundalk, we dont have a tough run for the next few games so if we improve on our performances and finally sign an out an out goalscoring striker, then i believe it will be us...if not then maybe fingal, or even limerick with their goal machine, is it sheehan???, up front!!but i do tink itll be us, but tune in here..IF WE DO, THE FAI WILL FIND SOME WAY OF SCREWING US OUT OF PLAYING IN THE PREMIER DIVISION NEXT YEAR!!:mad:

TheFingallian
21/07/2008, 5:12 PM
we have proved we are more than capeble of getting results against the top 3. and with us playing athlone and limerick in next 2 games, i think we'll be top of table monday night.

That's kind of the Limerick who have won their last 4 games including against Shels and Dundalk. They are like a new team now since we beat them 3-1 in Limerick. Should be a good game

sporting
21/07/2008, 5:16 PM
limerick have being going threw a purple patch and if we wore playing in limerick it might be different. but fingal in morton are unstopable.

philball08
21/07/2008, 5:17 PM
fingal have already had their bad patch. beaten 5-1 in first game, beaten in monaghean, drawing with kildare!!

Blueandproud
21/07/2008, 5:18 PM
Waterford United Football Club - eircom League of Ireland First Division
Champions 2008

sporting
21/07/2008, 5:22 PM
waterford are gonna lose at least 3 or 4 starting 11 players by end of window, which will totally demolish there promotion bid,

fletch to rovers
clarke to fingal or shels
sullivan to cobh
bermingham to bray.

KevB76
21/07/2008, 5:25 PM
Recent form (last 6 games) :

GD / Pts
Limerick +7 / 13
Waterford +5 /12
Sp Fingal +7 / 11
Athlone +5 / 11
Dundalk 0 / 10
Shels +5 / 9
Monaghan -4 / 8
Wexford -8 / 4
Longford -7 / 3
Kildare -10 / 1

Battery Rover
21/07/2008, 5:39 PM
I hope Limerick 37 keep on the run they are on as I have a nice bet on them at 100/1

But saying that last season I had a bet on Harps at 28/1 the day after they beat us 2-0 in Finn Park just as they started on their unbeaten spell and it was the results against us a loss and a draw that cost them the league.

The Lilywhites
21/07/2008, 5:41 PM
fingal in morton are unstopable.

5 wins from 9 home games is hardly unstoppable. :confused:

sporting
21/07/2008, 5:44 PM
limerick lack the experience to maintain the run they are on, of all the teams capable of winning the league fingal have the most experience, most of there wore in the prem or top 1st div teams last year, hopefully this will show over the next 5 or 6 games which could decide our faith, with limerick shels waterford and dundalk all coming up

sporting
21/07/2008, 5:46 PM
5 wins from 9 home games is hardly unstoppable. :confused:
its 5 wins and 4 draws, which is unbeatable:)

TheFingallian
21/07/2008, 5:53 PM
limerick lack the experience to maintain the run they are on, of all the teams capable of winning the league fingal have the most experience, most of there wore in the prem or top 1st div teams last year, hopefully this will show over the next 5 or 6 games which could decide our faith, with limerick shels waterford and dundalk all coming up

I think i'll leave my prediction until them games are done with. Make it easier :p

sporting
21/07/2008, 5:57 PM
I think i'll leave my prediction until them games are done with. Make it easier :p
well i think we'll be celebrating at the end of season putting the 1st div title in the trophy in morton stadium

higgins
21/07/2008, 6:06 PM
IF WE DO, THE FAI WILL FIND SOME WAY OF SCREWING US OUT OF PLAYING IN THE PREMIER DIVISION NEXT YEAR!!:mad:

Well considering you failed in you attempt to get a premier licence this year due to your plastic grass I think you have all the warning you need on that front.

What are your plans regarding the pitch if you get promoted ?

Massop 10
21/07/2008, 6:15 PM
It hurts me to say this but I think Dundalk will be champions. I base this opinion on what I have seen so far this season from the top teams against us.
Longford Town to win a cup next season - either FAI or league cup. Win the league 2010 :)

Black and White
21/07/2008, 6:17 PM
Theres nothing wrong with the pitch...it was delaney who approved it 4 years ago and now hes being a w.n.er over it...jst like when we won the playoff!!its fifa approved too so if we go up and they wont let us use the pitch...lets jst say maxi will be visting alot of headquarters in the next 6 months!!!

sporting
21/07/2008, 6:21 PM
Theres nothing wrong with the pitch...it was delaney who approved it 4 years ago and now hes being a w.n.er over it...jst like when we won the playoff!!its fifa approved too so if we go up and they wont let us use the pitch...lets jst say maxi will be visting alot of headquarters in the next 6 months!!!
there is nothing wrong with the pitch, only problem is you wont win the league.:)

Battery Rover
21/07/2008, 6:25 PM
its 5 wins and 4 draws, which is unbeatable:)

On a narrow, rock hard, sandy pitch it probably is

passerrby
21/07/2008, 6:26 PM
I think dundalk can win the league and in fairness are way ahead of clubs like sporting and waterford in terms of infrstructure but that still leaves you without a premier licence and if you manage to get that then platium one will not invite you to their party so yes maxi could be a busy boy.

sporting
21/07/2008, 6:28 PM
On a narrow, rock hard, sandy pitch it probably is
your pitch isn't excatly old trafford. it probably harder and has less grass. but fingal took the **** on that too.

sporting
21/07/2008, 6:31 PM
I think dundalk can win the league and in fairness are way ahead of clubs like sporting and waterford in terms of infrstructure but that still leaves you without a premier licence and if you manage to get that then platium one will not invite you to their party so yes maxi could be a busy boy.
how are sporting well behind?? they are in the process of getting planning for a football acadmey(will be only team to have1) and have no problems with money, with all players being paid on time every week.

LeixlipRed
21/07/2008, 6:33 PM
And ye have no fans. Watch as it all goes Dublin City on you. But that's a bit off yet. Fingal were muck at home against us. And we had ten men for the majority of the game.

sporting
21/07/2008, 6:35 PM
And ye have no fans. Watch as it all goes Dublin City on you. But that's a bit off yet. Fingal were muck at home against us. And we had ten men for the majority of the game.
and shels wore muck at home, wore lucky not to be 3 down at half time. scraped a draw against us when we had 10 men for second half

TheFingallian
21/07/2008, 6:37 PM
I think judging teams on one game is not the best way to discover who's better. End of the season won't lie to us.

passerrby
21/07/2008, 6:42 PM
how are sporting well behind?? they are in the process of getting planning for a football acadmey(will be only team to have1) and have no problems with money, with all players being paid on time every week.

all players are paid on time weekly at monaghan who have one of the best underageage setups in the eircom league and have a premier licence it does not make them premiership material.
when you have everything you say you will have including your own ground youth structure, fan base then you would be like dundalk then you will be premiership material.

bloody hell am i promoting dundalk.. must be losing the plot

Battery Rover
21/07/2008, 6:42 PM
your pitch isn't excatly old trafford. it probably harder and has less grass. but fingal took the **** on that too.

Nothing wrong with our pitch. We have spent €15k on it the last 3 months getting it right. We could have spent it on players but facilities are more important in my opinion. Maybe other clubs should look at it that way and the league might progress further without the huge money being splashed around this season. Since the pitch was repaired we havent lost at home.
We are now holding two Under 19 internationals next month after it was requested by two of the countries that their games be played there.

sporting
21/07/2008, 6:45 PM
all players are paid on time weekly at monaghan who have one of the best underageage setups in the eircom league and have a premier licence it does not make them premiership material.
when you have everything you say you will have including your own ground youth structure, fan base then you would be like dundalk then you will be premiership material.

bloody hell am i promoting dundalk.. must be losing the plot
but if we win the league this year we will get promoted. all the off field will be in place over the next 3 years. but y stop us going up?

TheFingallian
21/07/2008, 6:46 PM
Just on pitch quality. Both teams are playing on the same pitch. It doesn't seem like a good excuse to me to blame it for a bad result.

sporting
21/07/2008, 6:46 PM
Nothing wrong with our pitch. We have spent €15k on it the last 3 months getting it right. We could have spent it on players but facilities are more important in my opinion. Maybe other clubs should look at it that way and the league might progress further without the huge money being splashed around this season. Since the pitch was repaired we havent lost at home.
We are now holding two Under 19 internationals next month after it was requested by two of the countries that their games be played there.
well when fingal played down there it was terrible.

sporting
21/07/2008, 6:48 PM
Just on pitch quality. Both teams are playing on the same pitch. It doesn't seem like a good excuse to me to blame it for a bad result.
True we won on both pitches so it doesn't seem to bother our players.

passerrby
21/07/2008, 6:50 PM
but if we win the league this year we will get promoted. all the off field will be in place over the next 3 years. but y stop us going up?

im not saying anyone should stop you from going up in fact i would love to see yous going up would love to see how platium one would deal with that

Battery Rover
21/07/2008, 6:51 PM

Maybe but when a team is playing to a certain style at home every week it does become an advantage as they are playing to suit the conditions. IMO it is very hard play a full passing game on your narrow pitch it suits balls over the top into corners with people running onto them.

sporting
21/07/2008, 6:52 PM
im not saying anyone should stop you from going up in fact i would love to see yous going up would love to see how platium one would deal with that
cant c the wole platium thing going ahead. hopefully not anyway

TheFingallian
21/07/2008, 6:54 PM

Same way they would deal with all the other non-invited teams. Forget about them. Coming to think about it, if this were destined to come true, then it makes this season's promotion chase pointless since we would still be in the 2nd tier eventually.

sporting
21/07/2008, 6:55 PM
Maybe but when a team is playing to a certain style at home every week it does become an advantage as they are playing to suit the conditions. IMO it is very hard play a full passing game on your narrow pitch it suits balls over the top into corners with people running onto them.
so your sying if athlone played at home every week on there pitch, they'ed win the league??? the table doesn't lie, players have to be able to adjust to different pitches. obviously yours cant

Battery Rover
21/07/2008, 7:02 PM
I am just on about your pitch in particular. It must be just within the allowed limit for a soccer pitch.

Some weeks if we didnt have an opposition team to play we would struggle win. Pitches should be wide and flat to allow teams play football if they want.

Anyways I dont think you will be promoted but if you do I don't think your club is sustainable with the money you are spending compared to gate attendances

Martinho II
21/07/2008, 9:00 PM
We havn't hit our bad patch yet. Can't go through a season without one. That will probably put a halt to our ambitions until next year. Limerick are coming in a weeks time while Shels play muck teams. The way they are playing they could beat us. Then in August we go to Waterford and play Shels and Dundalk at Morton. Those games will have a big say in whether Fingal are capable or not of winning it.

what about us the first day of the season??does it not count???

oldyouth
21/07/2008, 9:28 PM
My head says Shels will last the pace but don't underestimate a run such as L37 are putting together. Fair play if they can pull it off but recent results are impressive.

higgins
22/07/2008, 1:05 AM

FIFA approved to what level ?

The pitch you have is not up to the standard of pitch required by current UEFA licensing. It may pass some standard but it doesn't pass the current standard for the Premier Division in this country.

IF,, that's IF you do finish first it will be interesting to see if the FAI back down.

Kildare Lad
22/07/2008, 9:43 AM
IMO it will be Dundalk or Shelbourne, would be happy to see either club win the league too. Believe they are both capable of competing in the Premier Division, have the grounds for it, big (enough) names in Ireland.

Havnt been too impressed with Fingal or Waterford when I've seen them to be honest, but unfair to judge based on 1 or 2 games. League table is the only fair way to judge teams

brianw82
22/07/2008, 10:16 AM
League table is the only fair way to judge teams

For sure. That's the beautiful thing about the league - you're bottom if you're the most **** team, and you're top if you're the best.

For me, I'd say Dundalk. They've ground out a few results recently while not playing well, which is the mark of a strong-willed team.

Con-Con
22/07/2008, 10:21 AM
My bet is either Shels or 37 I can see Dundalk messing it up again.