PDA

View Full Version : The Steve Staunton Discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Red4Eva
07/02/2007, 11:03 PM
A decent LSL side would have beaten San Marino. The buck stops with Delaney.

i was embarrased when we couldn't beat killester in the showgrounds. killester are better than san marino yet stan seems pretty pleased with his 3 points. so how much better does that make rovers than our national team?

"Heeeellllllloooooooo!!!!

Braindead people what can Stan do????

Do you expect him to sh*t good players????

Hes doing well with the rubbish players he has

Our players went missing as soon as San Marino roughed it up a bit

Have a go at them its not Stans fault he is rebuilding!

You are all muppets!! You sound like england fans get over it and move on"

stan must have a 3g card for his laptop on the plane

Soper
07/02/2007, 11:09 PM
Bbbbbbbaaaaammmmmbbbbbboooooozzzzzzlllleeeeedddddd d

fergalr
07/02/2007, 11:14 PM
Gaffer guff (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/sol/newsid_6340000/newsid_6340900?redirect=6340919.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1&nbwm=1).

theworm2345
07/02/2007, 11:15 PM
http://www.petitiononline.com/99887799/petition.html
Sign away :D

Fingal hoop
07/02/2007, 11:15 PM

Billsthoughts
07/02/2007, 11:19 PM
well well well....its just a case of chickens coming home to roost for the "give him a chance " brigade....:rolleyes:
but seriously....late on I was kinda hoping san marino would grab a goal just to hasten stauntons exit but when they did score I was kinda embarressed for my country. so thank god for stephen ireland. Delaney needs to go. Staunton needs to go. we have too much potential at the mo just to throw it away....scraping past san marino is not going to do any of these lads any good. whatever about building for the future. bring in an experienced coach. lawrie sanchez should be approached. Im not implying we are a step up from northern ireland at the mo. cause we aint. but we might have more cash than them. so we should chance our arm.

cheifo
07/02/2007, 11:20 PM
My brother in law was so disgusted he was on his feet cheering on San Marino towards the end.Most of this team were in front of a desk doing their office jobs today yet they were unlucky not to get a result against our millionare superstars today.Come to think of it our squads collective earnings are proably higher than Germanys.To think at the end of the 13-0 defeat to Germany the SM players were begging Leahman not to take a penalty which would have emphasised the farcical gulf between the two teams.All this week pundits have been saying that teams like SM should not be in these groups because they have no chance of getting any kind of result.Oh god I feel perplexed,embarresed and disgusted.

The Legend
07/02/2007, 11:22 PM
late on I was kinda hoping san marino would grab a goal just to hasten stauntons exit but when they did score I was kinda embarressed for my country.

I hear ya... isn't it weird to feel such anger and happiness at the same time!?

backstothewall
07/02/2007, 11:27 PM
if anyone is interested in buying money, ladbrokes ofer 16-1 Ireland win none of the first 4 rugy and football matches in Croke Park, or 9/2 they win one (the rugby boys might get a result). Rugby fixtures are againt England and France, and football against Slovakia and Wales

eirebhoy
07/02/2007, 11:35 PM
I was just think, if Stan's contract was up tomorrow would it be extended? No chance. Surely that's reason enough to get rid of him. Obviously if they're stuck for money I could understand but they're hardly broke and it's essential we get a new manager in.

What team in the world other than Ireland would allow this to carry on? I can't believe a guy like John Delaney has control over this. :(

4tothefloor
07/02/2007, 11:38 PM
All we need now is RTE to interview that b****x Alan Hunter for his views on Staunton, and that'll be the icing on the cake of a great few days. And no doubt they will....

The fans have to be vocal and call for his head. Anyone got email addresses for the sports desks/journo's at the major newspapers? We could do with bombarding them, and the FAI, to show our disgust. Staunton is literally a joke...

RĂ©iteoir
07/02/2007, 11:53 PM
phyland@independent.ie

Noelys Guitar
08/02/2007, 1:50 AM
By the end of next week at the latest. Delaney will probably hang on a bit longer. New manager could be anyone. I predict it will be O'Leary but hope not.

mypost
08/02/2007, 2:30 AM
November 2009 at the earliest.

Fergie's Son
08/02/2007, 4:19 AM
Too many vested interests for Staunton to leave. He should but he won't.

He's a disgrace.

dr_peepee
08/02/2007, 7:01 AM
It's John Delaney that should account for more of this. Who on this board welcomed Stans appointment? We all resented Delany if I remember correctly and that still stands....

Though I never expected this!!

Dodge
08/02/2007, 7:06 AM
Kerr out!

macdermesser
08/02/2007, 7:30 AM
http://www.petitiononline.com/99887799/petition.html
Sign away :D

Two petitions now .. brilliant. We're no better than the FAI in organising a protest. If 200,000 fans or more can turn up to welcome the team home, then a quarter of that number can converge on Merrion Square in a peaceful protest and demand change. Set the date and time and turn up. Petitions are not going to do anything.

Dawn_Run
08/02/2007, 7:47 AM
'we're nomrally good in march.....we took a gamble playing this game at this time of year....'

Is this guy for real?

GavinZac
08/02/2007, 7:47 AM
Two petitions now .. brilliant. We're no better than the FAI in organising a protest. If 200,000 fans or more can turn up to welcome the team home, then a quarter of that number can converge on Merrion Square in a peaceful protest and demand change. Set the date and time and turn up. Petitions are not going to do anything.

it wont work, as you said it involves too much thinking. irish people like to be told what the big event is, and then go there and drink. maybe if it was broadcast on sky some of them might watch it.

bawn79
08/02/2007, 8:01 AM
Any hope of merging the two petitions if this is possible?

Dawn_Run
08/02/2007, 8:02 AM
Its all about hitting them where it hurts. Finances. Pick an event and boycott it. Give them zero of your hard earned money. 80,000 empty seats says more than 80,000 full seats.

GavinZac
08/02/2007, 8:03 AM
Any hope of merging the two petitions if this is possible?

its not possible, and online petitions are the biggest waste of time since Live8

honeymonster
08/02/2007, 8:04 AM
Come on, if we bombard everyone including radio stations and the FAI with emails that there is to be a protest outside merrion sq tonight people will show up! If something isn't done quickly Delaney & Stan are going to make us look even more shambolic in fortress Croker.....

Petitions wont work, if we gather a litle momentum we can force a change...

bawn79
08/02/2007, 8:04 AM
How about 80,000 white hankies at the match because although I want Stan out I really want to be there to cheer on the team in Croker?

Dawn_Run
08/02/2007, 8:09 AM
How about 80,000 white hankies at the match because although I want Stan out I really want to be there to cheer on the team in Croker?

I'm of the same mindset but i'd happily sacrifice this campaign to ENSURE this muppet doesnt lead us into a World Cup qualifying campaign.

honeymonster
08/02/2007, 8:18 AM
If we get him out now, we'd have a month to get someone "a professional" in for the Croker games. It would be a first game under a new manager and all to play for..

We have narrowly escaped becoming the laughing stock of European Football. Get Out!!!

The Swordsman
08/02/2007, 8:27 AM
Staunton hasn't a clue.

But saying that, the players have also an awful lot to answer for.

Those eleven players should be able to beat San Marino easily even if you played Duff in goal, Robbie at centre half, Dunne on the wing and Henderson up front.

Only Stephen Ireland showed that he cared.

People can say that Stan can't motivate or inspire the players. FFS these guys are professionals - they shouldn't need inspiration or motivation to beat San Marino.

Don't know whether this has been mentioned before but Stan was on the radio this morning saying that March is generally a better month for the team. LOL. If I didn't laugh, I'd cry.

Maybe the ref last night watched videos of previous Irish matches where excessive amounts of injury time were added and Ireland conceded late goals (Croatia and Macedonia, I think). Maybe he just wanted to redress the balance - cos I can't see where the injury time came from - or maybe he thought that San Marino could actually beat these wasters.

Norman
08/02/2007, 8:30 AM
Felt sorry for the loyal troops who paid their way to witness that pathethic display.
If his team talks are anything like his press conferences, no wonder the lads look bemused.

In the name of God, "GO"

:mad:

Istabraq
08/02/2007, 8:40 AM
I'd be all for the white handkerchiefs, because as much as i'd love to boycot the remainder of the campaign, I too want to be in Croke Park and the double header in Slov and Czech. It disgusts me that Stan will be in charge of the team for the first few in Croker. He doesnt know what he is doing and is a hypocrit. He said he picked the team on current prem form, and yet he sticks with that clown Kilbane and leaves Hunt on the bench. Hunt is exactly what we needed in that game. Very eager to impress and a terrier with youth on his side.
It will kill me to sign the acceptance sheet for the 4 games. Giving them showers of bstds 800 euro after that performance is hard to swallow.

greatbleddyman
08/02/2007, 8:50 AM
I propose that we keep Stan on. Then on TV coverage we could play the benny hill theme tune over the match and we'd have comedy gold!

BradyIsMyHero
08/02/2007, 8:58 AM
No excuse for Stan, but who were the real culprits?

A Robbie Keane - not at the races;
B Wayne Henderson - completely lost the plot

That said, it was Stan who made Keane captain (wretched decision) and picked Wayne Henderson (equally wreteched)

Honeymonster for capatin, and bring back Paddy Kenny.

lofty9
08/02/2007, 9:02 AM
No excuse for Stan, but who were the real culprits?

A Robbie Keane - not at the races;
B Wayne Henderson - completely lost the plot

That said, it was Stan who made Keane captain (wretched decision) and picked Wayne Henderson (equally wreteched)

Honeymonster for capatin, and bring back Paddy Kenny.

Don't forget Kenny's performance in Cyprus. Get Dean Kiely back, I'm sure Croke Park will appeal to him!

youngirish
08/02/2007, 9:13 AM
Staunton has been in charge for 7 games as far as I can remember and of those 7 at least 3 have been the worst performances I've ever seen from players in an Ireland shirt. Please God let's get this muppet out before we sink into the dark abyss of European football with NI and Co and never crawl out again to reach the heights we once took for granted.

As for the players not being good enough - Staunton is working with a better set of players than Kerr ever had. We've better options in attack, on the wings and in central defence than Kerr. Only Keane is missed and Kerr managed without him for a couple of years anyway. On paper we've also better players than NI, Scotland and Wales so this is only an excuse for the ignorant.

Let's get rid of this muppet. Everyone email the FAI let them know how you feel.

This is the address info@fai.ie .

dougdub
08/02/2007, 9:13 AM
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stanmustgo/

It's only been set up but I reckon it'll be packed full of names by this evening.

macdermesser
08/02/2007, 9:17 AM

It's only been set up but I reckon it'll be packed full of names by this evening.

and it won't change a thing. Channelling your anger down harmless avenues. Go down to Merrion Square at lunch time today and make a bit of noise.

gustavo
08/02/2007, 9:18 AM
Go down to Merrion Square at lunch time today and make a bit of noise.

It's a ffaaaaaaaaaaaaaarccccceeee

Paddy Garcia
08/02/2007, 9:19 AM
Don't forget Kenny's performance in Cyprus. Get Dean Kiely back

I agree it was not great - but he also made many saves that night - they could have had 10 easily.

MyTown
08/02/2007, 9:22 AM
Bit late joining this thread lads & it seems theres a 90%+ vote for binning Stan and Delaney.

So what's Plan B?
Who is going to give the Association the smack of credibility?
Who is going to earn the respect of our players?
MORE IMPORTANTLY
Who is going to get the MOST out of the players we have?

For me ALL 3 of McCarthy, Kerr & Stan were too much in awe of Robbie Keane & Damien Duff. Both have always been totally overrated IMO. And as for John O'Shea? Maybe we should've started him in goals.

When my then 6 year old daughter heard that Robbie Keane was our all time record international goal scorer, she remarked that he must've got his goals against really poor teams. Now he can't even manage that.

Leinster Lim
08/02/2007, 9:24 AM
For as long as Stan keeps adding to the gaiety of the nation in this manner he must be kept in charge, this obviously goes for Delaney as well for you cannot have one without the other.

shakermaker1982
08/02/2007, 9:25 AM
we don't have the reputation nor cash to afford anyone decent so we will persevere with Stan until he shames us even further. Sad but true. O'Leary is no better. Bryan Robson would apply and maybe Kenny but that is it.

Dodge
08/02/2007, 9:40 AM
Any LOI manager would do a better job. ANY

Jerry The Saint
08/02/2007, 9:43 AM
Stan is our version of Graham Taylor. I hate to say I told you so but even as far back as when we beat Sweden I was saying things were not been done properly.

Is anyone filming the squad behind the scenes? Because that would be comedy gold:D

Would almost make the whole sorry mess worthwhile:eek:

Irish_Praha
08/02/2007, 9:46 AM
I've voiced my disapproval to Radio 5 via the gift of email

BBC radio 5 live? They read out an email from an Ireland fan on 606 last night. It started by saying England wouldnt be complaining so much about their manager if they saw how bad Staunton was/is. Was that you who wrote that?

dougdub
08/02/2007, 9:53 AM
Petition asking for the resignation of Stan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dodge
08/02/2007, 9:54 AM
OOOOoooohhhhh, an online anonymous petition...

dougdub
08/02/2007, 9:55 AM
I have secured some media coverage for the petition and on Monday if there is over 5000 signatures I will make an appointment at the FAI with Media in tow and present it on behalf of all those who signed it.

So I urge you to sign it now and pass it on to others also !

youngirish
08/02/2007, 9:56 AM
F*ck petitions let's bombard the FAI's mail server with p*ssed off emails asking for Stan's and Delaney's resignation. Maybe we'll get lucky and crash it.

tblade
08/02/2007, 10:28 AM
Fair play to Dougdub. At least you're trying to do something. Everyone should sign it. Going down to Merrion Square to make a bit of noise mightn't do any harm either but it's important no one causes any trouble. Loads of noise but no aggro or language. You don't want it looking like a bunch of scumbags on the news. Then we'd have Delaney with his big alter boy head on him making a speech to Charlie Bird about how he won't be intimidated by a small minority of thugs.

as_i_say
08/02/2007, 10:30 AM
no point-internet petitions arent work the pixels they're signed on