PDA

View Full Version : The Steve Staunton Discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Irish_Praha
09/09/2007, 6:09 PM
Who else?
What about Mike Newell?

I touted him the last time this subject came here's what I wrote:

What qualities would you look for in an international manager?
Some have been mentioned above but I'll go through a list and suggest a manager that fills the criteria.

1. He would probably have to be a free agent so the FAI don't have to pay any compensation.
2. He needs to have at least several years experience as a manager and a track record to show that he improves with experience.
3. Not a prerequisite, but it would help if he had some experience playing at a high level.
4. Media savvy
5. Previous job's salary similar to or lower than what the FAI can offer
6. Not an old has been who will be happy to take it as a part-time role before his pension (el Tel)
7. Able to get results with limited resources.
8. A proven motivator
9. Be able to suffer the fools at the FAI

I might have been a bit selective with the creiteria because I knew who I was going to suggest but it's Mike Newell.

He's a free agent at the moment, hasn't managed at the highest level so would probably not expect an unreasonable wage. He spent most of his career in the lower leagues but he did win a Premiership medal with Blackburn. He has five years management experience, the first season was a nightmare with Hartlepool but he learned quick and was a big success at Luton with a small squad of 20 players. He could be our Laurie Sanchez.
The only problem I would see is that he wouldn't suffer the fools at the FAI very lightly and he's a bit unstable :)

eekers
09/09/2007, 6:36 PM
mike newell! pfft
you need someone like this

Aaron
09/09/2007, 6:38 PM
Stephen Kenny would be my pick for Ireland should Stan go/sacked

sligoman
09/09/2007, 6:49 PM
Laurie Sanchez, but doubt he'd leave Fulham for Ireland tbh. So Stephen Kenny would be a good enough choice. **** it, even Roddy Collins would be better than Staunton:o.

finnpark
09/09/2007, 6:51 PM
Stephen Kenny would be my pick for Ireland should Stan go/sacked

Stephen Kenny is an excellent club manager because he has the ability with time and hard work to get a team extremely fit and playing as a unit.

An International manager must do this for every game in about 3 days. Do you think Stephen Kenny can do this?

I don't think so. I think Ireland and any other International team need a very experienced manager that has the respect of players. Who Im not sure. Im sure there are many such managers available if issues were tried. Mick McCarthy was inexperienced, Brian kerr was inexperienced to an extent in that he was used to dealing with part time players and youths and Steve Staunton has close to no experience. That answers a lot of questions.

finnpark
09/09/2007, 6:56 PM
Laurie Sanchez, but doubt he'd leave Fulham for Ireland tbh. So Stephen Kenny would be a good enough choice. **** it, even Roddy Collins would be better than Staunton:o.

Any manager can use the Sanchez system. 4-5-1 and get EVERYONE behind the ball when you lose it. You concede very little goals as you have 11 defenders when you don't have the ball although you are over reliant on your loan striker and counter attacks.

I must say I like the idea of Mike Newell , I would rate him very highly and he has an ethical and professional approach.

I think John Aldridge will get it and maybe he will do ok as he will have the respect of the players and has a decent track record at club level. My own choice would be Damien Richardson ;)

billybunter
09/09/2007, 7:11 PM
john sheridan may be a choice as well.

Billsthoughts
09/09/2007, 8:13 PM
i thought kilbane was his usual. gave the ball away too cheaply. as did carsley. poor irish performance got the result it deserved. staunton should go after this campaign. gibson and douglas subs were unfathomable.

TonyD
09/09/2007, 8:44 PM
:D

Between them the management team have the intellect of Jordan

That's a terrible slur on a whole country :D

greendeiseboy
09/09/2007, 8:58 PM
just wondering is bobby robson still around and what is his role or influence on what happens on the pitch....... surely if he's still around he must see what a bag of sh*t stan is and surely he must be able to positively influence things given his wealth of experience.... or is he as big a muppet staunton is and happy to rob the the irish football public of what it deserves....football played with pride and passion

Stuttgart88
09/09/2007, 9:09 PM
Noely, what did Hunt say about the US tour? I can't remember.

Noelys Guitar
09/09/2007, 9:29 PM
Noely, what did Hunt say about the US tour? I can't remember.

Stuttgart it was to do with the non-selection of his brother Noel to the travelling squad for the US games.

TheJamaicanP.M.
09/09/2007, 9:47 PM
I think John Aldridge will get it and maybe he will do ok as he will have the respect of the players and has a decent track record at club level. My own choice would be Damien Richardson ;)

John Aldridge was on Sky Sports this morning as part of their panel analysing yesterday's games. He was asked if he would ever go back into football management and he just said that he had didn't think he would and that he had enough of it.

craig7042
09/09/2007, 11:10 PM
John Aldridge was on Sky Sports this morning as part of their panel analysing yesterday's games. He was asked if he would ever go back into football management and he just said that he had didn't think he would and that he had enough of it.

I wonder why he's had enough when saps ludicrously treat managers the way we've treated Stan.

The Stan debate is over in my view. The papers changed their tone this week and it was good for everyone. Stan has done good things. I've spoken throughout this campaign about them on my blog.

The simple truth is that we arent good enough at this time. All this talk of tactics and substitutions and player's positions is stupidness. Anyone notice that Benitez put Finnan left back for Liverpool the other week?? No I doubt it. Cause it shows that Stan has the cop on to know (like benitez) that these things arent black and white like Dunphy thinks it is.

We are short as a team. Some players are still too young. Some arent good enough, but they are the best we have at the moment in terms of experience (Carsley,Kilbane,O'Shea). All of them have good spirit and so are worthy of a bit more respect. But we're just short at the end of the day. We couldnt close the game out and keep possession. That'll catch up with us.

I'd just love us to pull one out of the bag and beat Czech, but I think its a case of waiting to see how the next campaign goes at this stage.

Morbo
10/09/2007, 12:20 AM
The only way I can see us beating the Czechs is if we scored a lucky goal in the last minute because I don't think we are capable of holding onto a lead away from home at the moment.
As for those saying why doesn't McShane get stick for the first goal like JOSH did for the 2nd, its because McShane may make mistakes but at least he doesn't pussy out of challenges like JOSH, they way he turned away from that ball is unforgivable and he definitely deserves to be dropped for the next game, I'd be surprised it Stan did though. Also, people blame McShane for the Czech equalizer but it was Josh needlessly giving away a free kick that lead to that goal so JOSH was at least 50% responsible for that goal too.

Stuttgart88
10/09/2007, 7:30 AM
TP, your mood swings have been quite extreme lately. You ok?

billydoneit
10/09/2007, 7:48 AM
I wonder why he's had enough when saps ludicrously treat managers the way we've treated Stan.

The Stan debate is over in my view. The papers changed their tone this week and it was good for everyone. Stan has done good things. I've spoken throughout this campaign about them on my blog.

The simple truth is that we arent good enough at this time. All this talk of tactics and substitutions and player's positions is stupidness. Anyone notice that Benitez put Finnan left back for Liverpool the other week?? No I doubt it. Cause it shows that Stan has the cop on to know (like benitez) that these things arent black and white like Dunphy thinks it is.

We are short as a team. Some players are still too young. Some arent good enough, but they are the best we have at the moment in terms of experience (Carsley,Kilbane,O'Shea). All of them have good spirit and so are worthy of a bit more respect. But we're just short at the end of the day. We couldnt close the game out and keep possession. That'll catch up with us.

I'd just love us to pull one out of the bag and beat Czech, but I think its a case of waiting to see how the next campaign goes at this stage.

www.theboysingreen.blogspot.com (http://www.theboysingreen.blogspot.com)

Good post, time to face facts, took 4 points off a side that qualified for the last wc, we don't have the players at the minute.....I reckon our day is coming!

Calcio Jack
10/09/2007, 7:57 AM
Andy Reid quoted in today's when asked how he felt about not playing on Saturday "..He decides so you have to accept it, even if you don't like it.." so once Stan reads that you can guarantee he won't pick Reid....

IMo we were never going to win two away games on the bounce...and a win on satuday and a draw on wed wasn't going to be a great help ....so based on irrational optomism and the law of averages I reckon we'll win on Wed... lose to the Germans , beat Cyprus and then need a win in wales to qualify... and of course blow that by conceeding a late goal... finish third and Delaney will keep his pet muppet in a job based on his view that Stan is a world class manager when it comes to managing property innvestments.

youngirish
10/09/2007, 9:16 AM
I'm personally of the opinion that he should be given until the end of this campaign and if we fail to qualify (which is by far the most likely outcome now) he should be definitely sent packing.

His decisions were shocking on Saturday. That game was easier to win than draw. His starting line up, tactics and substitutions all combined to cost us the three points agaisnt an obviously very poor team.

Its glaringly obvious that he's out of his depth. When are the FAI going to learn to stop cutting corners when choosing managers?

osarusan
10/09/2007, 9:24 AM
The simple truth is that we arent good enough at this time. All this talk of tactics and substitutions and player's positions is stupidness.

So you think that questioning the substitution which introduced Douglas instead of Reid is "stupidness"?

I have no problem with Ireland losing, if we are beaten by a better team. The quality of the players from which you can choose your national side is not something you can do much about. It will always go up and down for any international side.

I have a problem with us losing because our manager is not good enough, and makes decisions he should not make, decisions which influence results.
Because that is something we CAN do something about.

The Stan debate is over in my view.

Your blinkered view.

Stuttgart88
10/09/2007, 9:27 AM
Stuttgart it was to do with the non-selection of his brother Noel to the travelling squad for the US games.I was expexcting some slur on the management's tactical naivety or amateur training methods, but instead it's because Noel Hunt didn't play?

Personally I'm really surprised that as team captain Robie didn't endorse Andy Reid's selection or at least his appearance as sub.

Anyway, who could we realistically replace Stan with anyway? Nobody of any great calibre I reckon, or nobody who'd be remotely interested.

cheifo
10/09/2007, 9:31 AM
Craig,
Slovakia were awful and we had them beat until Stan made his ridiculous substitutions.Should have been three points going into a game against Czech team without Koller and Baros.
Yes in certain positions we are short but you make the best of what you have.The insane decision in playing Douglas on the right wing(or anywhere) lead to the goal.Too many basic mistakes.

eelmonster
10/09/2007, 9:32 AM
I have a problem with us losing because our manager is not good enough, and makes decisions he should not make, decisions which influence results.

But we didn't lose. And we're not out of this competition yet. This tabloid head-on-the-block nonsense is depressing.

drummerboy
10/09/2007, 9:43 AM
If we fail to win on Wednesday, he should be shown the door. Get in someone who can start building a team for the next world cup campaign.

As regards Kilbane, I thought he done well on Saturday. He is a very limited player but he certainly gives his all. He is also the only target Shay given has when he kicks out the ball.

youngirish
10/09/2007, 10:00 AM
Anyway, who could we realistically replace Stan with anyway? Nobody of any great calibre I reckon, or nobody who'd be remotely interested.
Stutts I reckon any decent League 1 manager would take the job and all in my mind would do a far better job than Stan.

John Sheridan or Jim Gannon are options. Possibly Stephen Kenny. We are not going to get any world beaters now after the sham that was the Kerr and Staunton periods in charge that's for sure but surely we can do better.

ifk101
10/09/2007, 10:23 AM
Sweden's manager Lasse Lagerbäck gets an annual salary of approx. e215,000, has qualified his team to every major championship since 2000, and will take his team to the European Championships next year.

Stan gets e400,000.

It just makes you wonder .....

OwlsFan
10/09/2007, 10:28 AM
Stan gets e400,000.

WHich is the very reason he will not be got rid of. A pay off costing more that €1 million. Won't happen even if we finished behind San Marino.

Didn't see Sir Bobby at the game. Is he no longer part of the world class management team?

Billsthoughts
10/09/2007, 10:36 AM
I think he should be let go if they fail to win on wed nite. he should have been fired after the holland game. harsh but how many second chances can ya give the guy. a generation of players wasted on a rookie manager. We will be in a difficult group for the WC qualifiers. no point pretending otherwise.

Dodge
10/09/2007, 10:38 AM
how many second chances can ya give the guy

One. After that its a third, forth, fifth etc etc

monutdfc
10/09/2007, 10:49 AM
John Sheridan or Jim Gannon are options. Possibly Stephen Kenny.
So Jim Gannon who couldn't get Dundalk within a sniff of promotion from eL Div 1 despite having a bigger budget than all but 1 other side in the division is "an option" while Stephen Kenny who got Longford promoted and into Europe on a shoestring, won the title with Bohs, the Cup with Derry, took Dunfermline to a Scottish Cup Final and almost saves them from relegation despite them being doomed when he took over is "a possibility".

Billsthoughts
10/09/2007, 10:55 AM
One. After that its a third, forth, fifth etc etc

suppose he only has to "turn the corner" 3 times before he is back where he started.....

WembleyGreen
10/09/2007, 11:10 AM
Make no mistake this is going to hurt us and hurt us bad. It was always going to be a big ask from this team to get 4 points from these games and we have failed to take the full amount from what was (most of us would say) the easier game. The Czechs will want to kill us off on weds and if we give the ball away as cheaply as we did against the slovaks then we will be mauled by them. Staunton must learn the lessons of saturday, McGeady must not start, Play the defenders in position and don't even contemplate playing Douglas. Keane has got to show us that he is worth a place in this side by actually scoring a goal that counts it's been too long since the WC and Germany in 2002. I fear for future of football in Ireland, appointing an L plate manager to steer your national side which after all is the flagship of Irish football is reckless and financial suicide. Underage teams aren't faring much better with the increasingly obstinate Don Givens failing to inspire the younger players coming through. Delaney and the jumped up provincial apparatchiks who support him are leading Irish football back to the dark ages BC! For all the spin coming out of FAI headquarters about 'regional academies' 'plans' etc the (senior national) cash cow is being left unmilked because the man in charge is acting like a tit instead of yanking on them!

as_i_say
10/09/2007, 1:05 PM
Christ why oh why was stan appointed? Look at the quality of players we have compared to what brian kerr or mccarthy had when they took over. Real potential and promise.

With a moron in charge we will never get anywhere. Imagine not learning a single thing from that 4-0 win in Denmark. I mean did he just think it was a fluke and that it would be better to continue with carsley in midfield, drop reid, drop hunt, Play kilbane LM (who i admire greatly but should have been playing at LB.

I even heard on radio that if we lose on wednesday the FAI have confirmed his job is 100% safe :eek:

Closed Account 2
10/09/2007, 1:17 PM
What's Maurice Setters doing these days ? At this rate I'd even have someone like Dave Bassett or Big Ron in... or even Bleesdale that guy who Big Ron was mentoring at Peterborough... Stan is a sham!

mackannovic
10/09/2007, 2:32 PM
Dave O'Leary all the way.

He'll inherit a young squad. During his time at both Leeds and Aston Villa O'Leary can be credited with bringing through a number of highly rated youth players.
He's actually managed a team before. Unlike the "Walsall Waterboy" O'Leary has a decent club record, Leeds lets not forget were in the Champions League Semi-Final and pushing close for the league during his time in charge. Aston Villa fans perhaps realised just how good a job he was doing on a less than show-string budget last season as they struggled even more with Randy Lerners money.
He'll command respect in the dressing room. Arsenals longest serving player during a successful period for the club. Nobody is questioned Stans achievements but O'Leary can add to this his management experience.

WembleyGreen
10/09/2007, 5:09 PM
David O'Leary couldn't/wouldn't even persuade his own nephew to play for Ireland never mind persuade this lot to play. His record at Leeds wasn't as great as you make out and it was his failure to get them into the Champions League that finished him at Leeds, he also spent huge sums of money on some right turkey's. As a LUFC supporter I would shudder at the thought of him becoming Ireland manager. Anyway why does it have to be an Irish manager? Surely there are good managers out there who would relish a challenge like Ireland.

Ordinary Fan
10/09/2007, 10:57 PM
It is always the same, who will replace Stan. Does it matter he is incapable of managing the Irish team and possibly any team.

I know it won't happen because of the money and Delaney but it is getting more depressing going to games Home and Away.

Stan if you love Irish football leave PLEASE

craig7042
10/09/2007, 11:38 PM
But we didn't lose. And we're not out of this competition yet. This tabloid head-on-the-block nonsense is depressing.

It is depressing. Paul Hyland in the Herald today was a disgrace.
When we beat Denmark 4-0 the common sense view was "dont overreact" It should be the same when we get a disappointing result.

We've got to be sensible about Stan. Sorry, but some of the suggestions for new manager are a joke.... John Sheridan? Stephen Kenny? Brian Kerr was ridiculed because he hadnt played at the top level, though his management experience had been okay. Stan is ridiculed for not managing before, though his career was second to none. (3 world cups..bit of respect due really...)

So the next manager would minimum have to have excellent management AND playing experience. Nothing short of that is an option after the last two. Even then you cant guarantee anything and he'll be mauled by the media from the first day.

In my opinion the only option is to support Stan and trust that he'll grow into things with the team growing too.

Colbert Report
11/09/2007, 5:40 AM
[QUOTE=craig7042;768081]We've got to be sensible about Stan. Sorry, but some of the suggestions for new manager are a joke.... John Sheridan? QUOTE]

In fairness to Staunton, he'd never managed before this and neither have I. If the FAI were to offer me the job, effing rights I'd take it! It's not his fault that they are too cheap to hire a real manager.

John Sheridan intrigues me. At least he's managed before, albeit not at a top level. Oldham were a big club back in the day, granted they are in the third tier of English football.

I honestly don't see anyone good wanting the job - Roy Keane for obvious reasons, why would any exotic foreigner want to put up with the FAI? This is an organization that just told our starting midfielder that his grandmother had died and he needed to fly home immediately, when in fact, his granny is alive and well and now he's unavailable for our most important match in two years.

bennocelt
11/09/2007, 7:57 AM
You are wrong about Keane and you are on your own and wrong again about Kilbane's performance last night. He was the least culpable, though I agree with your starting team on an other thread, I would have had Kilbane at left back. That should not take away from his performance which defensively was excellent (covering for Kelly who was of course out of position)

Bottom line, Delaney (won't happen) and Stan must go. (and yes, I'm sure Keane would agree with that)

wrong about Keane? How so
and by the way remind me how many people turned up for his testominial

dont like Kilbane, never did, and I think his performances have proved that he isnt much only a one trick pony ala running with head down and then falling or going over the sideline (but he tries his best:rolleyes:)
one good game (re paris, where we should have won) and thats it

Ozymandias
11/09/2007, 11:48 AM
It is depressing. Paul Hyland in the Herald today was a disgrace.
When we beat Denmark 4-0 the common sense view was "dont overreact" It should be the same when we get a disappointing result.

We've got to be sensible about Stan. Sorry, but some of the suggestions for new manager are a joke.... John Sheridan? Stephen Kenny? Brian Kerr was ridiculed because he hadnt played at the top level, though his management experience had been okay. Stan is ridiculed for not managing before, though his career was second to none. (3 world cups..bit of respect due really...)

So the next manager would minimum have to have excellent management AND playing experience. Nothing short of that is an option after the last two. Even then you cant guarantee anything and he'll be mauled by the media from the first day.

In my opinion the only option is to support Stan and trust that he'll grow into things with the team growing too.

What is your obsession with growing???????

At least you seem to be learning from past mistakes.....the reasons you use to discount the other options as stans replacement are the very same that were there when Stan got the job.

maybe we give someone else a chance and (to paraphrase you) let them grow with the squad for the remainder of the campaign in preparation for the next.

Stan could stayon in an advisory role...he knows where to put the training cones and bibs ..after all he did it at Walsall

youngirish
11/09/2007, 11:54 AM
If we lose tomorrow Stan should be replaced. At this stage a 1 million payout to get rid of him looks a good bargain to me.

If he manages a draw keep him on until the end of the campaign and if there is no noticable improvement in our final three games in performances and results and we fail to qualify then he should also be sent the way of the Dodo.

This is the easiest group we've had for a long time and his numerous mistakes look to have cost us qualification. When is it going to end?

The worrying question is what we as fans can do to get rid of him if FAI continue to refuse to rectify the situation and admit their mistake in appointing him. Refusing to go to games might be the best option IMO to force their hand. Hit the FAI where it hurts, in the pocket.

osarusan
11/09/2007, 11:57 AM

After the Danish game, we talking about one good very good result, which people considered to be against the norm, so they said not to overreact to one good result against a decent side.

Stan has been in charge of the Cyprus affair, and the San Marino affair. These are competitive games where we embarrassed ourselves, not friendlies. That is how he should be judged, on competitive games, not friendlies.

I'm all for Stan learning how to be a better manager, but the national team is not the place to do it. Walsall probably is.

The national team's hopes of qualification shouldn't be sacrificed to allow somebody to develop into a good manager.

carloz
11/09/2007, 12:06 PM
Stan gets e400,000.

Can someone explain this to me, why pay the guy this much. He was like a reserve team coach at a League 1 team, nobody else wanted him whatsoever, why in gods name offer him that money and then make matters worse by giving him that money for 4 years. It beggers belief

mackannovic
11/09/2007, 12:19 PM
After the Danish game, we talking about one good very good result, which people considered to be against the norm, so they said not to overreact to one good result against a decent side.

Stan has been in charge of the Cyprus affair, and the San Marino affair. These are competitive games where we embarrassed ourselves, not friendlies. That is how he should be judged, on competitive games, not friendlies.

I'm all for Stan learning how to be a better manager, but the national team is not the place to do it. Walsall probably is.

The national team's hopes of qualification shouldn't be sacrificed to allow somebody to develop into a good manager.

Fully in agreement. 102 caps for your country by no meens qualifys you as a coach or expert in the game. Look at the tripe coming out of Peter Schmiechals mouth on the BBC as a prime example.

as_i_say
11/09/2007, 12:25 PM
Stan should be allowed to have his one campaign. I dont think anyone on this board seriously believes that he will be let go before this campaign is out. I think he has done as well as Brian Kerr so far and he was given a season and a half which was a fair crack at it.

I really thought as chippy brady said that we had turned a corner but when you make substitutions like he did on wed it shows a complete lack of understanding of what is needed to see out a 2-1 lead when you are not playing well.

When Brian Kerr did similar against Israel at home his number was up as far as I'm concerned and the fact that he learned nothing from our win against Denmark was so gauling. And grinning from ear to ear at kevin doyle-i mean how could he not see a goal was coming.

He must learn from his mistakes on wednesday by dropping kelly, putting kilbane at left back and hunt left mid and not putting johnathan douglas near the pitch.

unfortunately john o shea is still around :rolleyes:

osarusan
11/09/2007, 1:05 PM
Excellent post Qwerty. Staunton is simply not getting the tactical basics right. His actual knowledge of football seems embarrassing and his interviews with the media enforce this view. The job is way to big to him and i pray that he realizes that sooner or later. Unfortunately his 100+ caps for us will now be forgotten due to his complete ineptness at management

6 months later this post still seems accurate.

carloz
11/09/2007, 4:29 PM
What can i say im a psychic. I dont think he can actually improve his tactical knowledge with say 2 more years in the job. Remember he was a professional footballer for so 20 years, if he didnt pick up any tactical knowhow then he surely wont now or in the future:(

carloz
11/09/2007, 4:34 PM
Didnt the FAI say on the radio this morning that his job is safe no matter what the result tommorrow night(great motivation from the guys at Merrion Square again:rolleyes:). Simply put Stan will not walk away and i dont feel the FAI will sack him due to the stupidity of awarding him a 4 year contract. We are probably stuck with him. It absolutly sickens me as i really feel we are in a golden age now regarding our squad and that it is being toally ruined. I dont think McCarthy or Kerr ever had the quality available that Stan has. When McCarthy and Kerr named the squad it was fairly obvious who would be in it, Stan has a choice of close to 35 that all have a good shout to be in the squad......however he still includes some puzzlers(Alan o'Brien anyone:confused:)

danonion
11/09/2007, 5:13 PM
I was on holiday in Carlingford and driving to the house about two miles out of the village and I nearly hit Staunton who was jogging on the road (complete with Aston Villa tracksuit). Random anecdote but who would the FAI have picked if the rental didn't handle so well?