PDA

View Full Version : The Steve Staunton Discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Kivlehan
07/02/2007, 9:30 PM
If you have to be an Irish citizen to vote on a meaningful petition to get Staunton out, let me know and I'll go get my Irish passport specifically to help evict this clown. I'll heckle him in Giants Stadium for you all in May.

Réiteoir
07/02/2007, 9:33 PM
I've voiced my disapproval to Radio 5 via the gift of email

Jerry The Saint
07/02/2007, 9:33 PM
Stan's interview technique makes perfect sense when you consider that it is a product of the Delaney era which follows the belief that Everything is Great. If anyone (supporters, managers, journalists) implies that something is wrong, they will be punished.

What are your feelings towards the FAI?
- I hate them.
You must love them. It is not enough to obey the FAI. You must love them.

DeNiro
07/02/2007, 9:35 PM
Brian Kerr must be laughing at all of this.

carloz
07/02/2007, 9:36 PM
"San Marino were always going to be a handful in this group"

Surely this comment alone should get Stan the chop. Errrrr San Marino 0- 13 Germany.....that was not that long ago you useless Louth clown, granted the players deserve every bit as much slack as he gets

rodoman
07/02/2007, 9:37 PM
I'm in me element that I didn't bother posting my application for seats at Croker, I'd be high on depression. I feel sorry for San Marino they didn't get the result they deserved. We can forget about the Euros and the foreseeable future as long as Stan stays. Delaney, what can i say ?

dodgycanadian
07/02/2007, 9:38 PM
im going to give jose mourinho a ring today see if he wants the job

mypost
The Irish rugby team would have beaten San Marino. In fact, even the Italian rugby team would have done, easily.

To say Staunton is a joke is like saying the Pope's Catholic.

republicofwhite
From Sky Sports Interview: "Tremendous Heart, Spirit" "What more can I say, we've got three points, and we're moving on" "We controlled the whole game" "The players had great commitment and heart" :mad: :mad: :mad:

ken foree
07/02/2007, 9:40 PM
Stan's interview technique makes perfect sense when you consider that it is a product of the Delaney era which follows the belief that Everything is Great. If anyone (supporters, managers, journalists) implies that something is wrong, they will be punished.

it's like the bush administration.

Réiteoir
07/02/2007, 9:42 PM
heh - they just read my email out - but ommited:

DELANEY OUT!
STAUNTON OUT!

wp BBC for reading it though

Kivlehan
07/02/2007, 9:42 PM
it's like the bush administration.

That's hilarious and true.

SUB of the day
07/02/2007, 9:45 PM
.......one of the senior players did a Roy, stood up, said we have a crap manager, association etc........would others have the balls to back him?......can't think of any possible candidates, which is depressing in itself:(

bholg
07/02/2007, 9:50 PM
.......one of the senior players did a Roy, stood up, said we have a crap manager, association etc........would others have the balls to back him?......can't think of any possible candidates, which is depressing in itself:(

Why would they... look what happened when Keano did it? And he had alot more clout/respect among teammates/fans than anyone in the team now.

the ****ehawks will always win through.

Paddy Garcia
07/02/2007, 9:50 PM
it says it all about Staunton that Kilbane seemd a hell of a lot more angry than staunton in their interviews. incidently did anyone hear the abuse bing hurled by the fans during Kilbanes interview. I feel sorry for those fans after spending hard earned moeny to see that

There speaks someone who has not watched Kilbane play much for Ireland. Never less than 100% commitment, and he did it again tonight.

He may not be the best ever player for Ireland but by God he gives it all. If only we had 11 with that commitment ......

FootballsKing
07/02/2007, 9:52 PM
Stokes is a rebel like that. He would have the balls to say something like that but is probably too young and people would dismiss him before they did staunton. Under roy keanes guidance though he could grow to take keanes attitude towards the FAI and the scene in general. Showed more in 10 minutes than the team combied did in the entire game

carloz
07/02/2007, 9:55 PM
There speaks someone who has not watched Kilbane play much for Ireland. Never less than 100% commitment, and he did it again tonight.

What in my comment makes you think i have not watched Kilbane much. Read most post properly before making your stupid comment please. What i meant is that the manager should be every bit if not ore angry than the players, this was so not the case tonight

onenilgameover
07/02/2007, 9:56 PM
The ''san marino are gonna be a handful'' was probably the funniest thing i've ever heard uttered on tv. Stan is going nowhere...

ciano
07/02/2007, 9:57 PM
Its funny, usually you would have one or two people defending a manager when people are calling for his head, shows how far this has come. I am really glad I got up at 5.30am to watch this in a pub before coming to work. The Australians are laughing at us and that says something. And on a side note a player mate of mine rang Stan last week three times to ask him why he wasnt included in the squad, left messages etc. Do you think he even got a call back?, you should run a team like you would run a company, if Stan ran a company it would probably be Enron.

republicofwhite
07/02/2007, 9:57 PM
Yeah, Stokes does seem to have that "I actually give a sh*t" vibe about him. If he did speak out though, he'd get an awful lot of acclaim for doing so! I'd say Keano would encourage him anyway, would love to be a fly on the wall of their chat about it in training!

IsMiseSean
07/02/2007, 10:00 PM
Im embarrassed to support them tonight. Staunton has to do the right thing and step down for the sake of Ireland! But he is not the only one to blame, Robbie Keane was shocking tonight, a so-called premiership striker against a post-man or whatever their defense was made up off and he only got one shot on target in 95mins is ridiculous. He should be dropped!

republicofwhite
07/02/2007, 10:00 PM
Ciano You might as well tell us who it is! You've let the cat out of the bag enough as it is...! Derek Geary?

Dr. Ogba
07/02/2007, 10:02 PM
Stokes is a rebel like that. He would have the balls to say something like that but is probably too young and people would dismiss him before they did staunton. Under roy keanes guidance though he could grow to take keanes attitude towards the FAI and the scene in general. Showed more in 10 minutes than the team combied did in the entire game

While you mention Stokes, why the hell was he only given 10 minutes when it was blatently obvious that Long and Keane weren't working well together (not getting at Long here, actually would have preferred to see Keane being hauled off)

ciano
07/02/2007, 10:02 PM
Ciano You might as well tell us who it is! You've let the cat out of the bag enough as it is...! Derek Geary?

Nah, it was Murphy, wanted to know why he wasnt even considered for the last B international as well

Mr A
07/02/2007, 10:03 PM
I hate watching this Ireland team. There's some decent players that I like there, but overall they're a heartless shambles.

Delaney, Staunton, Mick Byrne and especially O Shea must go now.

Mr A
07/02/2007, 10:05 PM
And Robbie Keane, the useless git.

LukeO
07/02/2007, 10:06 PM
Staunton is only part of the problem. The real problem in the FAI lies with John Delaney who in turn has surrounded himself with even more yes-men goons such as the FAI's Director of Propaganda Gerry McDermott.

These guys are the real scum of Irish football and it's the heads of these guys that should be our priority ahead of Stan's. Irish football will never progress while the despot Delaney is in charge. The man is a tyrant who tries to censor anyone who dares to criticise his regime.

DELANEY OUT

carloz
07/02/2007, 10:08 PM
You can not have a moaning git who constantly abuses the officials as a captain. Juts compare the two captains. Roy Keane>>>>Robbie Keane

shakermaker1982
07/02/2007, 10:08 PM
we're third in the groups lads......!!! haha. Surprised he didn't use that beauty.

Paddy Garcia
07/02/2007, 10:09 PM
What in my comment makes you think i have not watched Kilbane much. Read most post properly before making your stupid comment please. What i meant is that the manager should be every bit if not ore angry than the players, this was so not the case tonight

I agree that Stan should be furious - but the insinuation is that Kilabane (specifically) would not be expected to care much. He seemed to care more than most tonight, and always has.

Marked Man
07/02/2007, 10:12 PM
You can not have a moaning git who constantly abuses the officials as a captain. Juts compare the two captains. Roy Keane>>>>Robbie Keane

Roy Keane is gone. Get over it.

dancinpants
07/02/2007, 10:13 PM
I just listened to excerpts from the press conference. Sweet mother of Christ, its absolutely embarassing. He's just embarassing the country and himself at this stage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6340553.stm

brine3
07/02/2007, 10:14 PM
we're third in the groups lads......!!! haha. Surprised he didn't use that beauty

he did, the fecker.

Sonic
07/02/2007, 10:14 PM
San Marino are a gonna be handful in this group!! FFS I thought id heard it all but that just takes the biscuit. I was on the floor laughing at stans interview. It was either that or cry. The man is a joke but its not him i blame its delaney for appoining the clown in the first place.

shakermaker1982
07/02/2007, 10:18 PM
hilarious interview. S Ireland got us out of a small hole? Hmmmm

hoops1
07/02/2007, 10:18 PM
Stan is our version of Graham Taylor. I hate to say I told you so but even as far back as when we beat Sweden I was saying things were not been done properly.

honeymonster
07/02/2007, 10:21 PM
We should march on Merrion Sq 7pm tomorrow. Email everyone including the papers and radio stations, put the word out, get Delaney out! Stan is the FAI's cheap inexpensive scapegoat. They promised us a "world class manager". If we keep Stan in charge we will be doing Croke Park a terrible injustice!! They even put on the ticket applications that they must be paid in full by the close of business on Monday coming. I would not like to be a fan flying home from San Marino into Cork on Saturday or Sunday!! They keep ripping us off and we let them away with it, MARCH ON THE B*STARDS!!!

Paddy Garcia
07/02/2007, 10:23 PM
I do think if he had any dignity he would walk.

Adrianovic
07/02/2007, 10:24 PM
"We're normally strong in March."

I know Glenn Hoddle was spiritual, but is Stan seriously seasonal?

It should never be a gamble playing San Marino - some good men were probably very close to losing their homes tonight.

"I can't legislate for what's going on at the moment." - You're the manager, that is YOUR job.

And why didn't the interviewer say anything for the whole interview? Did he choke on his fist giggling?

That's it, before tonight I thought he was unfortunate to be in charge of such a poor Ireland team, but you run through it and you've got:

- A player playing for one of the richest clubs in the World.
- A European Cup winner.
- A European Cup semi-finalist.
- A man once valued at £17m.
- A man who has spent virtually his whole career in the Premiership.
- One of the Premiership's top scorers of not long ago.
- The winner of two fan's player of the year votes at an established Premiership club.

Something's wrong, very wrong.

This was nothing but a rant, it says everything I feel though.

Ade

drummerboy
07/02/2007, 10:28 PM
A decent LSL side would have beaten San Marino. The buck stops with Delaney.

northsiderkid
07/02/2007, 10:33 PM
Heeeellllllloooooooo!!!!

Braindead people what can Stan do????

Do you expect him to sh*t good players????

Hes doing well with the rubbish players he has

Our players went missing as soon as San Marino roughed it up a bit

Have a go at them its not Stans fault he is rebuilding!

You are all muppets!! You sound like england fans get over it and move on

corkharps
07/02/2007, 10:34 PM
That 'interview' was just sad, the performance was criminal.

Hitman
07/02/2007, 10:36 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/sol/newsid_6340000/newsid_6340900?redirect=6340919.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1&nbwm=1

Adrianovic
07/02/2007, 10:36 PM
I don't buy the **** players tag, a little maybe, but not that much.

The fact is it was professional footballers who with few exceptions ply their trade at the top of one of the best leagues in the World.

They played people that might serve them drinks, paint their house or sort out moving the huge wad of cash they have accumalated.

You can say our players were **** when we lose to a roughly comparable nation, but with a population of 30,000 (of which only half would be men, and less then that would be of a football playing age), then you cannot argue the point.

Ade

The Legend
07/02/2007, 10:37 PM
Heeeellllllloooooooo!!!!

I would advise you not to go into a pub right now and voice that opinion

republicofwhite
07/02/2007, 10:37 PM
Most nonsensical post I've read yet. Are you Stan or Delaney in disguise? Despite your "original" point of view, You're hopelessly outnumbered. The man is joke, and unfortunately thats been established for quite a while now. Its not like we have to select players from league 2, like NI and Wales.

Réiteoir
07/02/2007, 10:38 PM
actually I advise he does

Might give him a dose of reality

Philly
07/02/2007, 10:40 PM
Heeeellllllloooooooo!!!!

Oh you're bugging me.

Look at the team sheets. He does NOT have a bad team, he had a good enough team, one that should beat a team with just two professional footballers.

I can't stand fans like you. Have you ever heard of decent/high standards? Pride?

Are you Staunton?

The Legend
07/02/2007, 10:46 PM
actually I advise he does

Might give him a dose of reality

i was hoping reverse physcology might work on him since he's a bit slow....

Réiteoir
07/02/2007, 10:47 PM
all bases covered then :D