PDA

View Full Version : The Steve Staunton Discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

rocketballs7
08/09/2007, 9:42 PM
Some people need to get off their Kilbane hating horse. If john o shea had a even a tenth of his commitment or desire then we'd be sorted for a left back.

How many times did he give atrocious backpasses to given. How many outrageously poor games has he played for Ireland yet continues to get picked?

Kilbanes delivery was poor and I have to say I wouldnt have started him tonight but you can always depend on him to contribute SOMETHING positive in a game.

As a man u fan, i find it incredible to believe that john o'shea was so good as a youngster that he impressed any manager. I think he's awful. 100% correct that he should try giving KK's commitment. however, why not play KK at left back, stephen kelly at RB, then 'All types of crazy' Hunt at midfield?????? surely stan can see that, cant he??:confused: his final ball is so much better than KK's at present and he lifts the team. I think KK in this form would be better as LB

Scratchy
08/09/2007, 9:43 PM
Just to add that I think Don Givens should also go....the useless, cretinous gob****e! :mad:

rocketballs7
08/09/2007, 9:46 PM
Take a step back & compare Kilbane's career with Hunts. It must be me & every premiership manager that has a non existant knowledge of football so.

Of course I know Kilbane is not world class. However he played pretty well tonight, better than most & Hunt has done sweet FA for Ireland to date. I hope that changes, but that is the fact.

Sorry, but we're not talking about peoples careers here, we're talking bout qualifying for euro 2008. If you're gonna talk about careers, where has john o'shea and douglas' gone to ? Stephen hunt is well worthy of a place in the irish starting eleven , and i wont let anyone tell me otherwise. He has something every other player in this squad cannot offer

DmanDmythDledge
08/09/2007, 9:48 PM
Some people need to get off their Kilbane hating horse. If john o shea had a even a tenth of his commitment or desire then we'd be sorted for a left back.
After your first sentence I thought you would have something sensible to say but your second completely contradicts what you said.

theworm2345
Please sign the petition (in my signature)

Paddy Garcia
, and i wont let anyone tell me otherwise. He has something every other player in this squad cannot offer

Well he's not - what has he to offer ?

Stuttgart88
hear hear re-Givens. Billy Clarke out left ffs.

Stan? He could have got away with it but no Hunt and no Reid leaves big questions unanswered.

I still think we could have Hiddink in charge but 6 short arses in front of a decent defense makes managing this team a thankless task.

That said, Robbie was peripheral and I'm sure Reid could have put his foot on the ball and brought himinto the game.

I think one of us must have crashed into a van carrying a hundred mirrors tough.

Scram
08/09/2007, 9:50 PM
Kilbane was our third best player tonight, after Dunne and Given. He constantly cleaned up for Kelly, who was out of position because of Stan, helped in the middle, where Reid should have been but wasn't...Stan.

Is there anyone who argues with the fact that this was a display of total incompetence by Stunton and he must go?

Paddy Garcia
08/09/2007, 9:56 PM
Kilbane was our third best player tonight, after Dunne and Given. He constantly cleaned up for Kelly, who was out of position because of Stan, helped in the middle, where Reid should have been but wasn't...Stan.

Is there anyone who argues with the fact that this was a display of total incompetence by Stunton and he must go?

Agree with this. Kelly was ripped apart. Stan should have tried Foley in a friendly ( was he injured ?). I hope Finnan is back next week.

billybunter
08/09/2007, 9:59 PM
i thought kilbane was our best player in the first half - and i am usually his biggest critic....we need to win 2-0 in a game now and again - end of story. seal the fookin deal lads - you are all premiership (or thereabouts)fooballers.

Sonic
08/09/2007, 10:00 PM

How many times did he give atrocious backpasses to given. How many outrageously poor games has he played for Ireland yet continues to get picked?

Kilbanes delivery was poor and I have to say I wouldnt have started him tonight but you can always depend on him to contribute SOMETHING positive in a game.

If you look back on the posts noone said they hated Kilbane. We just sai Hunt was a better option which he was simple as that.

rocketballs7
08/09/2007, 10:03 PM

Not me, he's an idiot. still can't believe what happened there tonight

Sonic
08/09/2007, 10:04 PM
Take a step back & compare Kilbane's career with Hunts. It must be me & every premiership manager that has a non existant knowledge of football so.

Of course I know Kilbane is not world class. However he played pretty well tonight, better than most & Hunt has done sweet FA for Ireland to date. I hope that changes, but that is the fact.

What are you talking about. Hunt has been excellent when given his chance. He wasnt given his chance tonight and I think its a travisty. He isnt world class either but he can deliver decent ball intot he box. Im not going to get into an argument with you my opinion will be the same.

carloz
08/09/2007, 10:05 PM
Its hurts to say this but if we dont beat the Czechs i really really hope we get well beaten by the Czechs and hope that it makes Stans position unattenable(which the Cyprus result should have done). We are going to be low seeds to the World cup qualifiers so having that muppet in charge will be disaster and in my opinion could damage us for years

rocketballs7
08/09/2007, 10:06 PM
Well he's not - what has he to offer ?

He has a lot to offer ireland. he's young(ish) , hungry, has good ideas, attacks defences, great distribution from the wing, and pops up with the odd goal, whicj i'm sure he would do with ireland if given the chance. Don't be knocking the chap just in defence of KK. he's a fantastic player and should have played tonight full stop. i'm not the only person who thinks it either, the majority does

Scram
08/09/2007, 10:15 PM
Calls for his head now are not premature by any means. He has proved that he has no clue, he cannot learn from what he does right never mind what he does wrong.

The "Carlsley" debacle was the first instance when despite 100% calls for him to be in the squad, Muppet Staunton insisted that he won't be....until foced to call him in. Now he is first choice.

All that sh!te with Terry Dixon, Joseph Lapira and now Darren Gibson....all cases of Staunton childishly trying to prove some stupid point that he is his own man..he is his a Muppet, and unfortunately, our Muppet.

About 100% of "pundits" appear to agree that Reid should have started tonight and most certainly should have been on for McGeady at half time who did not perform.

It is not premature to call for his head, it is too late. :mad:

Paddy Garcia
08/09/2007, 10:18 PM
He has a lot to offer ireland. he's young(ish) , hungry, has good ideas, attacks defences, great distribution from the wing, and pops up with the odd goal, whicj i'm sure he would do with ireland if given the chance. Don't be knocking the chap just in defence of KK. he's a fantastic player and should have played tonight full stop. i'm not the only person who thinks it either, the majority does

YOUNG - he is about 26 & has had one full season in the top division. How can he be fantastic ? Ronaldo is fantastic, Duff was (& I hope will be again ) fantastic.

Reading did great as new boys last year, but this year will test the teams true quality. He might well find himself back in the lower leagues - I genuinely hope this is not where he belongs. But it is where he has been.

The majority of who thinks he is fansastic, not those that matter like premiership managers.

Having said that you make a reasonable point about the chance he has had for Ireland, then again he was total s**t in the States.

rocketballs7
08/09/2007, 10:30 PM
YOUNG - he is about 26 & has had one full season in the top division. How can he be fantastic ? Ronaldo is fantastic, Duff was (& I hope will be again ) fantastic.

Reading did great as new boys last year, but this year will test the teams true quality. He might well find himself back in the lower leagues - I genuinely hope this is not where he belongs. But it is where he has been.

The majority of who thinks he is fansastic, not those that matter like premiership managers.

Having said that you make a reasonable point about the chance he has had for Ireland, then again he was total s**t in the States.

ok fair enough, he may not be of ronaldo's class, or duff's about 5 years ago(except for the slovakia home game) , but what he has done in the ireland games he has played in ( particularly wales - although i may add that this rubbish wales team, and they are rubbish, may stand in the way of us and qualification) has been particularly impressive. im a firm believer that a man going forward has a major advantage against the player he's attacking going backwards, and hunt is one of the few along with mcGeady when he pulls his finger out, that can do this for ireland

Paddy Garcia
08/09/2007, 10:33 PM
ok fair enough, he may not be of ronaldo's class, or duff's about 5 years ago(except for the slovakia home game) , but what he has done in the ireland games he has played in ( particularly wales - although i may add that this rubbish wales team, and they are rubbish, may stand in the way of us and qualification) has been particularly impressive. im a firm believer that a man going forward has a major advantage against the player he's attacking going backwards, and hunt is one of the few along with mcGeady when he pulls his finger out, that can do this for ireland

...and I'd certainly have stuck hin on tonight instead of a defensive midfielder. Reid would have been my first choice as sub, then Hunt. I think we would have won if either came on instead of Douglas.

Scram
08/09/2007, 10:36 PM
Calls for his head now are not premature by any means. He has proved that he has no clue, he cannot learn from what he does right never mind what he does wrong.

The "Carlsley" debacle was the first instance when despite 100% calls for him to be in the squad, Muppet Staunton insisted that he won't be....until foced to call him in. Now he is first choice.

All that sh!te with Terry Dixon, Joseph Lapira and now Darren Gibson....all cases of Staunton childishly trying to prove some stupid point that he is his own man..he is his a Muppet, and unfortunately, our Muppet.

About 100% of "pundits" appear to agree that Reid should have started tonight and most certainly should have been on for McGeady at half time who did not perform.

It is not premature to call for his head, it is too late. :mad:

Is there now anyone who thinks Stan should not go (Delaney too, but that won't happen)

rocketballs7
08/09/2007, 10:36 PM
...and I'd certainly have stuck hin on tonight instead of a defensive midfielder. Reid would have been my first choice as sub, then Hunt. I think we would have won if either came on instead of Douglas.

agreed, pity the F**king arsehole of a 'gaffer' has'nt a clue:mad:

Supreme feet
08/09/2007, 10:37 PM
I was exchanging high-fives with my fellow Irishmen here in Blagoevgrad when I returned to the computer and saw the all-too-familiar words... 'Disaster for Ireland'.

Should Stan go? He shoudn't have been given the job in the first place, but he's contracted for the next two years. No amount of bitching by us, or the (by now cliched) throwaway results will make the FAI admit they were wrong and part with the euros in compensation to Mr. Staunton. I think we're stuck with him, come what may.

In the meantime, let's just offer up our prayers. The ghosts of John Atyeo, Wim Keift, Goran Stravevski and that Israeli/Arab lad from 2005 are shrieking tonight. However, I'm in Bulgaria at the moment, and the locals were actually laughing cynically at their team, cheering the goals that they conceded and making jokes about how bad they were, during their defeat to Holland. If I ever go that way about Ireland, shoot me. No, wait, torture me, then hack my head off with a rusty bread-knife. I can't believe these people's pessimism.

Paddy Garcia
08/09/2007, 10:40 PM
Should Stan go? He shoudn't have been given the job in the first place, but he's contracted for the next two years. No amount of bitching by us, or the (by now cliched) throwaway results will make the FAI admit they were wrong and part with the euros in compensation to Mr. Staunton. I think we're stuck with him, come what may.

If he had the balls and dignity he had as a player he would walk.

... & hand back the wages he has been paid to date.

eekers
08/09/2007, 10:41 PM
what should happen in an ideal world is the fai should line up a replacement of quality before sacking stan. as opposed to getting rid of him and leaving the team in limbo for a while.

blackholesun
08/09/2007, 10:50 PM
As others and the pundits on the box have said not having Reid and Hunt on at some stage was a joke. The Gibson substitution looked like stunt. All in all he is a fool, the sooner he goes the better, if he'd any self respect he quit!

:(

bhs

Supreme feet
08/09/2007, 10:51 PM
If he had the balls and dignity he had as a player he would walk.

Yeah, but as a player, he was a stubborn f*cker too. He never gave up on lost causes. I even remember him playing in central midfield against Portugal in the rout of '95 in Lisbon. Central midfield? Maybe that's why his thoughts are so ambiguous and misguided about that position.

And lads, don't be harsh on Gibson. He will be a great player for Ireland, it's just too soon for him. Owen Garvan only played 45 minutes for the 21's last night, and he's had much more competitive experience than Gibson.

Can't wait for the day we see Garvan and Gibson together in the Irish midfield! Of course, if and when that happens (2011?), no-one will remember my little post here, on this long-forgotten, horrible day. Sob...

rocketballs7
08/09/2007, 10:58 PM
And lads, don't be harsh on Gibson. He will be a great player for Ireland, it's just too soon for him. Owen Garvan only played 45 minutes for the 21's last night, and he's had much more competitive experience than Gibson.

Agreed, but on that note, why is Gibson even in the squad? will be a player for the future, no doubt, but was it a stunt for the FAI, IFA arguement? i would like to think that it definately was'nt but nothing surprises me with stan, i'm very disapointed with him at the moment............................again

Supreme feet
08/09/2007, 11:07 PM
I will admit to being a hypocrite - I was furious with the Terry Dixon/Joe Lapira affairs, but I think Gibson's different. He's Irish, for a start (I love being mischievous!), and he seems to have a real future in the game - in a position that hasn't been effectively filled since Townsend, Sheridan and Keane. I wouldn't play someone on the basis of potential alone, but Gibson will have learned a lot from tonight. Which is more than can be said for Staunton.

Torn-Ado
08/09/2007, 11:14 PM
It just seems futile.

Sack Staunton, get a new manager and still f*ck up in the last minute. I just don't know anymore.

jmurphyc
09/09/2007, 5:16 AM
Agreed, but on that note, why is Gibson even in the squad? will be a player for the future, no doubt, but was it a stunt for the FAI, IFA arguement? i would like to think that it definately was'nt but nothing surprises me with stan, i'm very disapointed with him at the moment............................again

Well the whole gibson mess was probably meant to have been sorted out away to San Marino. He was in the squad and the management were probably going to give him a few minutes run out once we were a few goals clear, but marani had other ideas...

ofjames
09/09/2007, 5:32 AM
This is a stupid thread. There's simply no point changing the manager as we can have no confidence that this job could attract anyone who would do a better job. Stan is in the job for one reason, and one reason alone... because noone else of any decent standard wanted it in the first place. Same applies still, unless you want Neil fricking Wornock in charge.

By the way, McCarthy made just as glaring mistakes, even worse. And took a ridiculously lomg time to learn from these mistakes, choosing instead to blame his supposed 'bad luck'. Difference is Staunton doesnt have Keano to paper over the cracks and pull him out of impossible situations.

danonion
09/09/2007, 7:23 AM
60 someodd caps in 11 yrars? keano didnt do ****e for ireland ****in quisling ****** i mean ffs don't blame mccarthy for bad results previous he'd got us out of this group no boather

bennocelt
09/09/2007, 7:57 AM
Get real, Kilbane was one of our best ,.. AGAIN.

ah come off it, he was rubbish (as usual), why cant he cross or pass a simple ball

bennocelt
09/09/2007, 8:04 AM

no...........sure isnt the great John O Shea a manure utd player..............so what does that prove........SFA

100% Effort..........so what...............i would give that too if i had an Ireland jersey on, but im honest enought to admit im no good

Scram
09/09/2007, 8:09 AM
This is a stupid thread. There's simply no point changing the manager as we can have no confidence that this job could attract anyone who would do a better job. Stan is in the job for one reason, and one reason alone... because noone else of any decent standard wanted it in the first place. Same applies still, unless you want Neil fricking Wornock in charge.

By the way, McCarthy made just as glaring mistakes, even worse. And took a ridiculously lomg time to learn from these mistakes, choosing instead to blame his supposed 'bad luck'. Difference is Staunton doesnt have Keano to paper over the cracks and pull him out of impossible situations.

I don't think you get it, there are mistakes and there is blatant ignorance.

I have a 13 year old deaf and blind mongrel dog, even he knows that Reid should have started, that Kelly and O'Shea were out position and that you cannot hang on to an undeserved lead (no pun intended!) if you do not have the ball, that the game is not over until the whistle blows.

The total lack of professionalism in Stan's big grin to Kevin Doyle with 5 minutes left, shows that unlike a lot of us amateurs watching the game, he thought the game was won, what message must that give to the players?

That total pr!ck Roy Keane, must have been laughing his @ss of at this display of incompetence from Stan. For once, I feel sorry for the players and not the manager.

bennocelt
09/09/2007, 8:52 AM
The total lack of professionalism in Stan's big grin to Kevin Doyle with 5 minutes left, shows that unlike a lot of us amateurs watching the game, he thought the game was won, what message must that give to the players?

That total pr!ck Roy Keane, must have been laughing his @ss of at this display of incompetence from Stan. For once, I feel sorry for the players and not the manager.

any still you complain about Roy Keane:rolleyes:

eelmonster
09/09/2007, 9:15 AM
Nothing can be achieved by letting Stan go (or him walking away) at this stage of the campaign. My only concern is - when/if he goes come the end of the qualifiers - what kind of 'world class manager' will be appointed in his place: another under-age manager like Brian Kerr, perhaps Damian Richardson or Pat Dolan. The FAI is a farce ... ask Roy Keane. Last night's result was bad, but it could have been worse ... ask Nigel Worthington.

Scram
09/09/2007, 10:41 AM
any still you complain about Roy Keane:rolleyes:

I agree with everything Keane says about winning attitude, lack of professionalism in the FAI etc. I don't agree with him not playing for his country or talking sh!te about Shay Given's caps, anti-Cork bias etc. and I imagine he like Dunphy, is happy when we fcuk-up. Staunton had the chance last night to shut both up but his team selection and decisions played right in to their hands.

You are wrong about Keane and you are on your own and wrong again about Kilbane's performance last night. He was the least culpable, though I agree with your starting team on an other thread, I would have had Kilbane at left back. That should not take away from his performance which defensively was excellent (covering for Kelly who was of course out of position)

Bottom line, Delaney (won't happen) and Stan must go. (and yes, I'm sure Keane would agree with that)

ps. not intending to turn this into a Saipan thread.

Theskinloyal
09/09/2007, 11:04 AM
I went out to the training sessions on Wednesday and Thursday. Andy Reid and Stephen Hunt were outstanding and the only reason they weren't picked, as far as I can reason was, some sort of personality clash with Stan.

Kilbane is good for the squad in terms of his attitude and good nature but Reid is a far superior player.

Stan out....sooner rather than later

ofjames
09/09/2007, 11:34 AM
I would have had Kilbane at left back. That should not take away from his performance which defensively was excellent (covering for Kelly who was of course out of position)

In fairness, Kelly has played a lot more football at left back then Kilbane, so Kilbane would be out of position also

finnpark
09/09/2007, 11:40 AM
Easy to blame the manager, but even with my limited knowledge of football, I would have picked a team and managed this game better than the inept Staunton.

:D

I couldn't agree more. He may be a nice guy and had a tough time but its time to get rid of him, Hughton, Devlin and also most importantly get rid of Don Givens as U-21 manager. Oh and I nearly forgot Delaney. Between them the management team have the intellect of Jordan

There were more Slovaks in Ireland's half for the last few minutes than Irish players. Its actually quite funny and as my footer suggested some months back Ireland will finish 4th. I just cannot believe how lucky "we" were last night to get a draw. Slovakia must be kicking themselves.

green army
09/09/2007, 12:50 PM
He showed his inexperience tonight with his substitutions- I thought it seemed like he thought the game was won and decided to give the fringe players a run out.

i agree especially when he took doyle off. the look on his face- he thought we had it won.

Flea
09/09/2007, 1:43 PM
I was annoyed after the game until I read this thread. Some people need to lay off championship manager

Supreme feet
09/09/2007, 1:50 PM
An ode to last night

Staunton, a man of ineptitude,
Has Ireland's team well and truly screwed,
He chose not to start with Stephen Hunt,
I think you'll agree when I say he's a ****.

He made a decision in our time of need,
to forsake the left foot of Andy Reid.
When I saw Jon Douglas take to the field,
I knew that a draw was the best we could yield.

Watching our team shouldn't be misery,
with players like Doyler and Ireland and Keane.
I think that our 'gaffer' should step down and leave,
so we can rebuild from the wreckage of Steve.

backstothewall
09/09/2007, 2:51 PM
Paul Jewell is available

Qwerty
09/09/2007, 3:52 PM
Didn't the FAI give Stan a 4 year contract and he is at the same pay rate or higher than Mick? So I don't think they'll want to pay off 2 years of his contract so Stan stays. Correct me if I'm wrong but the FAI doesn't have the financial leeway right now to look at another manager, unless Stan walks.

bobloblaw
09/09/2007, 3:52 PM
Right, i think Stan Larel needs to get the chop asap. Question is, who out there could we realistically hope to get to come and manage us, that will help turn us around. I've had a think, and tbh, I'm struggling to come up with anybody! Steve Coppell would be my choice, he's at a relatively small club that he's taken as far as they can go really. Would he want to manage us? Who knows. But he'd be an excellent candidate.

tricky_colour
09/09/2007, 4:43 PM
I went out to the training sessions on Wednesday and Thursday. Andy Reid and Stephen Hunt were outstanding and the only reason they weren't picked, as far as I can reason was, some sort of personality clash with Stan.

What you mean they have one and Stan doesn't?

Noelys Guitar
09/09/2007, 4:48 PM
No Hunt is just incredible. This has to be down to Hunt been outspoken (ie about the choice of players for the US tour) about how the team is been run. It just cannot be a footballing decision for Staunton to play Gibson and Douglas ahead of Hunt. As with Givens and the other oddballs who surround Stan they are picking their teams based on non-footballing matters. We played a **** poor team yesterday and yet everyone watching (other that the "management") could see both of their goals coming. Only for Richard Dunne we migh thave lost the game.

Noelys Guitar
09/09/2007, 5:02 PM
The FAI will not sack Stan. And Stan will not be walking away (who else would have him?) Almost unbelievably we can still qualify. Winning on wednesday is not beyond a team with Hunt, Given, Dunne, Reid, Doyle, Keane, Carsley and McShane in it. Can Staunton be brought to his footballing senses that is the question? I just get the feeling we have a group of thin skinned small minded idiots from Delaney down to Givens running the show at the minute.