PDA

View Full Version : Limerick Junior Soccer 2004/05

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Supersub
02/01/2005, 7:25 PM
Only two matches on in the premier today so decided to buck the trend and make the trip out to Shannon to see Park play Summerville(seeing as there was so much discussion on them on FAI thread).

Was not overly impressed. They created a lot of chances of which they took only one but it looked like they were suffering from the Christmas excesses. It was just as well they were playing a Summerville side that look destined for the drop this season.

Having said that it was job done , three points in the bag on a day that was always going to prove difficult to have players mind on something other than enjoying themselves!!!!!

I will reserve judgement for another day on their long term chances this season!!!!

whitestripe
04/01/2005, 2:54 PM
Alan O'Keefe is not a striker so I don't know where that suggestion comes from. He is not a natural goal scorer either. He is a good player and is very good in the air but his best position is not up front. He does well in midfield and covers a lot of ground but he does not dictate the pace or control a game. Not trying to knock the player because he is good but I think if he was coached in a midfield role he would be very good but junior football and coaching are very rarely heard in the same sentance along with organisation. If you want natural goal scorers in the boro team you have jason o connor and connor lynch. Barry conway is another player that if coached could have been a good partner for any one up front.

If Summerville and Park were playing out my back garden, I'd close the curtin let alone drive 20 minutes to see them. You need some help my friend.

whitestripe
05/01/2005, 8:25 AM
I agree both players are pushing on but the Boro were never short of goals just organisation. Connor Lynch used bang in over 20 goals a season and he is struggling to get his place on the boro side at present. Jason O Connor will score goals at any level and should have been on the Oscar Traynor panel this year and last. Not that he would play under the Poisoned Dwarf something that the rest of the Boro players should have taken on board in light of what he tried to do in the Boro. Don't know of any young players coming through the ranks or should I say Kranks at the Boro.

We will outlive the men in their cheap blazers but will we become them?

Blackstripe where are you, I miss your positive input.

Black stripe
05/01/2005, 9:24 AM
I'm back ..............natural goal scorers !!! there are not many around junior football. I think Conor Lynch is a very good goal poacher, he has consistently scored over 20 goals a season for the Boro.

Alan O'Keefe is not a goal scorer he doesn't score enough goals & doesn't play in the box, he makes aimless runs across the pitch, there would always be a position for him in most junior soccer teams in town but finding his best position is the hardest part. Jason O'Connor is a good target man but needs a quick partner up with him or a team that puts the ball in the box early for him to be affective, he was top scorer in Junior football last year until he fell out with Jaws & only finished a couple of goals behind Tommy Barrett despite playing a lot fewer games. I still think that Robbie Kelleher is by far the best striker in town he has it all, pace, power & scores goals, would like to see him play for Limerick FC

inexile
05/01/2005, 9:27 AM
poisoned dwarf? who is that whitestripe?

clownboy
05/01/2005, 9:29 AM
Have to agree Kelliher is an excellent striker pace and power and scores a share of goals but i dont think that he is a natural goalscorer and i think he would be better used as a link between midfield and attack excellent running at defenders...a bit in the rooney mould...would love to see him playing with Limerick in the future also

whitestripe
05/01/2005, 9:42 AM
I'll give you a few hints:

A vertically challenged, Lord Farquar look alike. A tactical genius that has taken every club he has ever been involved with right to the rails. A much loved and admired individual. One would be proud to call him your friend. A garden gnome of distinction, a champion of football, a giant of the game.

The one and only .......................

inexile
05/01/2005, 9:48 AM
havent a clue who you are talking about, ill have a guess at pa mullally

whitestripe
05/01/2005, 9:59 AM
Close but no cigar. Think smaller, think of a golf ball on a tee, think of who you would like to beat to death with a plastic badminton racket. Think of who you would like to put in a suit case and throw in the Shannon. Although you would find it hard to close the case and if you did his big head would never sink, you could always use it as a giant pike float, get some use out if it.

Black stripe
05/01/2005, 10:04 AM
hahaha laughing my ass off here at white stripes comments!!!!

It can only be one man............Mike Ryan ??? Would I be correct!!!

The man with the huge head on a small body...........he has won the most popular man in junior football for the last ten years!!!

How did he get the Oscar Traynor job this year ???

inexile
05/01/2005, 10:05 AM
can you stop talking absolute nonsense and tell me who you are talking about

clownboy
05/01/2005, 10:09 AM
No one else wanted the Oscar Traynor Job thats why he got it

whitestripe
05/01/2005, 10:22 AM
One could be liable for such comments. What the hell

Finnan and Jaws have shown
What Mulally must surely have known
That a short **** is better
Than a bomb in a letter
When deciding how best to be blown

Miget tossing exhibition planned for this sat in Jackman Park, Organisers are praying for rain. I heard off one of the organisers that Jaws as a result of his high public standing has volunteered to sit on the water drop and step in for the donkey on the pinyada stand. I'll be there for sure with my granades and plastic badminton racket. Ant takers?

whitestripe
05/01/2005, 10:24 AM
He was on the short list.

Black stripe
05/01/2005, 10:38 AM
a quick question for all View players out there as I know there are a few!!!

Can you please give us your comments on what happened leading up to Dermot Finnans departure from your club

van der wheil
05/01/2005, 11:40 AM
Thats best kept quite.In short Eamon Heffernan had no backbone and listened to 4 blow ins overight a Fairview man through and through.

inexile
05/01/2005, 11:55 AM
there is more to it than that there was more than 4 and some of them felt that he went a step to far with his antics during the whole geraldines saga,also i believe his training isnt the best and the he isnt the best tactician in the world

Black stripe
05/01/2005, 12:41 PM
Wouldn't be an expert on Dermot Finnan but I do know quite a few View players who agree with in inexile. From what I hear there was no secret formula to all of the Views success other than the team that won a series of major honours were an exceptional group of players & grew as a club with their success leading to every young player in town wanting to join their ranks. The training was a joke & his input was minimal, the reason he lasted was of course their results which every manager is judged on & also that he was & still is a Fairview man true & true.

I am afraid Mr Finnans tactical prowess & managerial skills are been shown in their true light this year where he predictibly like many others before him has failed to mould a decent side out of the Boro who show so much promise year in year out & have the bones of a very good side there from last year. :ball:

CousinSylDolan
05/01/2005, 12:46 PM
There is no doubting Finnan's record in junior football in the last 10 years but its all been at Fairview. He has been to Park for a year and nothing changed there and now at the Boro I dont see too much improvement to be honest.

After Finnan left Fariwview they still went and won the Fai last season under Derek White and although wont win it this season were beaten by a decent team in a good local derby.

My opinion of Finnan is he seems to put too much effort into finding out info about the opposition rather than concentrating on getting his own team right for the game. D'ont get me wrong I have the upmost respect for what he has achieved but all he has achieved has been done at Fariview..... What does that tell us??????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

inexile
05/01/2005, 12:59 PM
it tells us that it was primarily down to the players also i think finnan is a lucky manager and fairview got their fair share of luck through the years

CousinSylDolan
05/01/2005, 1:46 PM
Partially agree Inexile but luck cant win you all those trophies in sucession. As you say the players were there always but he does deserve some credit for all they achieved....

Anyone know the current lg standings in Limerick. Park have lost only 1 game all season I believe to Boro in the MJC on pens. If they are un-beaten in the lg they must be well up there. Does anyone give them a chance of winning it.

If anyone could post the current lg table it would be great......

inexile
05/01/2005, 2:04 PM
dont know the points etc but its something like
pike
fairview
balla
park
carew
boro
abbey
regional
mungret
charleville
hill celtic
summerville

park have definitley lost one league game against balla,fairview have lost 2,balla have lost 1,pike have lost1, carew are unbeaten,boro have lost 3

Supersub
05/01/2005, 4:17 PM
Tables were on the paper last night .. top looks like this ..

Pike (Plyd)9 (Pts)22
View 10 20
Park 8 17
Balla 7 16

Cannot see anyone outside of this winning it and in fariness you would expect it to boil down to Pike & Fairview ... Balla seem to have lost the high level of desire they had last year and Park do not have the experience to go all the way to the title(this year at least) ...

Boro have dropped a lot of points already and will drop more against top teams so you would think that their chance is gone.

Only other team with any chance is Carew and although they will beat most teams on their own patch probably don't have a squad good enough to be title winners!!

Would be interested to hear what you all think on the subject of league winners this season :

sligo1
05/01/2005, 5:18 PM
Have poor ould Dicey Reillys any chance against Park in the Junior Cup or are they out of their depth? Is their any particular players they should look out for?

Supersub
05/01/2005, 9:04 PM
Park are built on more of a team work ethic than any individual greats. Went to watch them on Sunday and they struggled to a one nil win against the bottom team. They created a few great chances but failed to take any of them(the one they got was one of the harder ones!!) ....

They have had a good start to the season but they usually do their best work at the start and then fade as the season goes on.

What are this Dicey Reilly team like?? Any tips for any Park lads that might find their way on to this site !?!?!?!?! ;)

sligo1
05/01/2005, 9:30 PM
I think Park are safe enough.Diceys best player wont be playing as he is selected for the Sligo Gaelic team and that is his main sport.Most of Diceys players either work or drink in the pub. I think they haven't trained since November and just relied on their games to bring them through.So on paper it looks like Park all the way - I just hope it wont be a cricket score. They are bottom of the 3rd division and haven't won all season.
But then again, Park have to travel all the way up from Limerick on the day unless they stay over, it is a once off, it has to be decided on the day and everybody loves to see the underdog win.
So there you go, my heart says Diceys, my head says Park.

Supersub
05/01/2005, 9:41 PM
I suppose being from Limerick League you could forgive us for wanting the local side to win. Although Park are not the most liked team around here we will be shouting for our own.

They have shown improvement over the past few seasons but are not the finished article as of yet.

The one thing that can be a great leveller in these FAI ties are the pitches.
If Diceys are bringing them up to a horrible pitch and try to bring the game down a level or two then there could be an upset.

I hope there isn't as it would be nice to see all 5 Limerick teams in the last 16! Best of luck to ye up there though and let us know how the match goes on the day!!

sligo1
05/01/2005, 9:48 PM
No the pitch shouldn't be a problem - Diceys play on one of the best junior grounds in the country ie MacSharry Park.This is where the Sligo/Leitrim play all their games. There has also been Junior Internationals held there as well.There are a few dodgy pitches that they could bring them to but it is definitely MacSharry Park.Unless the Park lads come up the nite before and get a free bar in Diceys, then it's back to the drawing board for the sligo lads.

Supersub
05/01/2005, 9:55 PM
Well thats that then. Park by all accounts and purposes are already through to the next round although if you are putting this information out in the public domain in the hope that someone lets the Park lads know what you have said then ..... !!!

It could be a very devious plan you are concocting to lull them into a false sense of security!!!

I suppose time will tell! I won't be putting any money on Diceys to get through though!!!!!

sligo1
05/01/2005, 10:16 PM
No plan - plain and simple, Diceys are the bottom team of the 3rd division in the Sligo/Leitrim - there are 4 divisions.
It is Cup Football and anything can happen.
As you said, time will tell.

Supersub
05/01/2005, 10:26 PM
We will see how the results go this weekend for both the teams. Just checked the fixtures and Park are at home to Charleville which is a game they should win handy.

Maybe Diceys might put 5 or 6 past their opponents this week and scare the Park boys!!!!

sligo1
05/01/2005, 10:28 PM
I dont think the league starts back for a few weeks yet

inexile
06/01/2005, 9:25 AM
they are down to play crosshaven from cork as far as i know poacher, what players would you hang on to?

LFC in Exile
06/01/2005, 10:38 AM
Lads,
Can anyone give me a take on Granville. I'm amazed at their cup run. They are due to play Waterford Crystal who knocked out Carrick - should be the end of the line?

clownboy
06/01/2005, 10:42 AM
They avoided all the premier teams in Limerick and beat a Cork side in the out of town stages so far so they havent met anyone of note Crystal should have too much for them but cup football can be strange

whitestripe
06/01/2005, 10:57 AM
The boro have not won a major tropy in years, the last was the league and that was under Dave Connell, they also got to the semi final of the FAI that year. That team was not as strong as it has been in the last two years. Last year they reached the quarter final of the FAI and were due to play Carrick in the quarter final of the Munster Jnr when the trouble with Jaws Ryan broke out. 4 of the most influencial players in the side left the club and they went down hill after that. They finally got their act together 3 games into the season but they dropped far too many points to even consider winning the league. That has to be down to Pike and Fairview and at this stage I would nearly put my money on Pike. A lot depends on what will happens with Limerick FC. I do agree that the Boro need to strengthen their side as does every club in town but to say that they need to hold onto 2 or 3 is talking rubbish. If you look at the Oscar Traynor Panel over the years, not that its a good indication but the only one we have, you will see its mainly made up of Boro, Fairview and Pike players. The Boro had 6 on it last year and I am sure they would have more this year if Jaws Ryan was not pulling the strings. They achieved a lot under Connell with a weaker team than they have now - surely that tells a story?

backodanet
06/01/2005, 11:04 AM
thought i heard that carrick were back in because waterford crystal played an illegal player

clownboy
06/01/2005, 11:27 AM
thought i heard that carrick were back in because waterford crystal played an illegal player

Crystal played last week and beat Bath rangers on pens i think so it looks like Carrick lost there appeal

inexile
06/01/2005, 11:39 AM
why were waterford crystal playing bath? bath lost to ballymun but won their objection didnt they?

clownboy
06/01/2005, 11:40 AM
Oh ya sorry East end utd I think was it...Heard from a Granville supporter that Crystal won last week on pens

inexile
06/01/2005, 12:02 PM
i dont think anyone knows what the story is to be honest i heard stories that granville are straight into the last 16 cos both teams were kicked out

The Gaffer
07/01/2005, 8:40 AM
Waterford Crystal won 4-3 on pens last weekend, 1-1 in the game. Does anybody know how Waterford Crystal are doing? I know they got to the final a number of years back but haven't heard anything about them since

whitestripe
07/01/2005, 8:40 AM
I can see what you are saying and agree with some of it, however the match you are referring to was Boro V Freebooters where the boro lost the game through one incident of indiscipline but mainly because of a lack of organisation and obvious to anyone watching no game plan. That and the fact that certain players only started to play when the boro drew level at 1 -1 was enough to see Freebooters through.

Farmer plays with heart - when he plays.

LFC in Exile
07/01/2005, 9:25 AM
Waterford Crystal won 4-3 on pens last weekend, 1-1 in the game. Does anybody know how Waterford Crystal are doing? I know they got to the final a number of years back but haven't heard anything about them since

They have beaten Carrick three times this season I think (two cup games and once in the league) and are top of the Waterford Premier Division. They've lost once I think but not sure. They were lucky apparently against Carrick in the FAI Cup and seems have a good mix of younger and more experienced players. Hard to know though, the FAI Cup is a very strange competition - what makes it so interesting I suppose. They should be too strong for Granville.

The Gaffer
07/01/2005, 10:04 AM
They have beaten Carrick three times this season I think (two cup games and once in the league) and are top of the Waterford Premier Division. They've lost once I think but not sure. They were lucky apparently against Carrick in the FAI Cup and seems have a good mix of younger and more experienced players. Hard to know though, the FAI Cup is a very strange competition - what makes it so interesting I suppose. They should be too strong for Granville.

And what about Granville how are they doing?

backodanet
07/01/2005, 10:42 AM
FAI 5th rnd this sunday 2pm LIT
any views can Balla do it? and make it 5 limerick teams through

clownboy
07/01/2005, 11:13 AM
I think balla are a match for anyone on there day..I think it will be close ...hopefully Balla will scrape through...could take extra time i reckon though...

Black stripe
07/01/2005, 12:30 PM
I think Ballas lack of pace in the centre of their defence will cost them on Sunday.

I spoke to Aidan Ryan recently & he is well aware that Balla are weak at centre half. Their main threats are set pieces & Skinner who isn't really in the Robbie Kelleher league even though he has scored a few goals this year.

It's got to be Michaels to progress for me.

Watch out for the odd red card aswell if things start to go pear shaped for Balla............the red mist could decend fairly rapid hahahaha!!!

wilhelm2
08/01/2005, 11:20 AM
why has this tie taken so long to play when michael's junior international centre half james walsh has been injured before christmas and couldnt play oscar traynor. seems like michaels have pulled a fast one here.

balls
08/01/2005, 9:57 PM
saint michaels are quietly confident of winning this won and theres alot of talk around tipp that this could be there year to win fai outright. Bennis in goal .they have best junior defender in country in walsh with other ex junior international paul tobin also in defence. brendan cronin who they signed from corks greenmount rangers is also doing very well this year in midfield.theyve also just signed Aaron Morooney from carrick the ex clonmel town and waterford united striker is one of best in junior soccer.Balla can beat the saints as they have been beaten twice already in tipp league this season by clonmel celtic and two-mile-borris FC,but saints are really gearing for this so balla will have to produce goods on sunday to get through