PDA

View Full Version : Marc Wilson

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16

tricky_colour
02/11/2012, 3:57 PM
Perhaps he got a metal fixture in there? Doubtful more likely that the bone wouldn't reset properly as it was so need to be moved back into place.

I expect they take no risks with a footballer and put a plate in whether they need one or not.
Although it is quite remarkable how a bone manages to heal itself. I remember when I broke my collar bone the
was a clear gap of at least 1/4 of an inch, I didn't have any surgery or anything like that, just a simple sling.
Somehow it managed to grow a big lump of over it, pull it back together and reshape the bone so you would never
know it was broken. And all without any conscious effort or input on my part. (which is just as well).

Charlie Darwin
02/11/2012, 4:05 PM
Is a plate the better option for an athlete? I'd have thought the ideal in terms of mobility etc would be for the bone to heal fully.

tetsujin1979
01/01/2013, 1:26 PM
back on the bench today for Stoke away to Man City, at least three weeks ahead of schedule

IsMiseSean
01/01/2013, 2:45 PM
back on the bench today for Stoke away to Man City, at least three weeks ahead of schedule

Great news!!

liamoo11
01/01/2013, 3:45 PM
Great news!!

R u sure?

Paddy Garcia
01/01/2013, 6:02 PM
Not according to the BBC!!

Stoke City
01 Begovic
02 Cameron
04 Huth Booked
17 Shawcross
28 Wilkinson
06 Whelan
15 Nzonzi Booked
16 Adam (Whitehead - 68' )
09 Jones (Etherington - 50' )
19 Walters
33 Jerome
Substitutes
29 Sorensen
20 Upson
30 Shotton
18 Whitehead
21 Kightly
26 Etherington
25 Crouch

tetsujin1979
01/01/2013, 6:23 PM
sorry, my mistake. Sky Sports had him on the bench on the scorecentre before kick off.

the bear
02/01/2013, 10:58 AM
Thats an amazing recovery. Hopefully no setbacks for him.

IsMiseSean
03/01/2013, 1:54 PM
So he's not back from injury yet??

DannyInvincible
03/01/2013, 2:31 PM
Doesn't appear to be. Can't find any report saying he's ready for first team action just yet.

His Twitter account suggests he has been back in training since the 3rd of December (possibly earlier): https://twitter.com/wildog87

DannyInvincible
17/01/2013, 8:16 AM
Wilson's recovery on course: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0116/1224328904958.html

Wilson, meanwhile, is more specific about his position with the Stoke City left back insisting that he will be fit and available for the March games despite Trapattoni all but writing him off before Christmas due to what the manager said was a very bad leg break.

“If everything goes according to plan I’ll be back and fully fit well before the Sweden game,” says the 25-year-old northerner, “that’s a big target for me.

“The game in Sweden could well define the group so it’s a game that I don’t want to miss and once there’s no problem with the injury I’ll be available to the manager. I have had a few texts from the Ireland manager, asking how I was getting on, so I was able to tell him that things are on course.”

geysir
17/01/2013, 9:03 AM
'Wilson, meanwhile, is more specific about his position with the Stoke City left back insisting that he will be fit and available for the March games despite Trapattoni all but writing him off before Christmas due to what the manager said was a very bad leg break.'

Malone is slyly attempting to put a black mark on Trap's diagnostic prowess.
Far from "all but writing off Wilson", Trap's was reported by the Indo (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trapattoni-admits-irish-euro-campaign-terrible-3326560.html) in December, where he was hopeful that Wilson would recover in time for the Sweden/Austria games.

ifk101
17/01/2013, 9:25 AM
Yes he is "reported" in the Independent as saying that.

BonnieShels
17/01/2013, 9:33 AM
Yes he is "reported" in the Independent as saying that.

There's about 15 alluded to digs at the Indo there. Nice.

geysir
17/01/2013, 9:55 AM
All very fine, but I don't let prejudice stand in the way of an objective analysis and I remain much more convinced by the veracity of Indo article than the Malone sly dig:)
Furthermore, the Indo 'take' is supported by Wilson himself,
"I have had a few texts from the Ireland manager, asking how I was getting on, so I was able to tell him that things are on course."
The "course" was determined in late Oct/early November that Wilson would need 3 months to recover fitness.

Trap's diagnostic prowess remains solid.

ifk101
17/01/2013, 10:25 AM
All very fine, but I don't let prejudice stand in the way of an objective analysis and I remain much more convinced by the veracity of Indo article than the Malone sly dig:)
Furthermore, the Indo 'take' is supported by Wilson himself,
"I have had a few texts from the Ireland manager, asking how I was getting on, so I was able to tell him that things are on course."
The "course" was determined in late Oct/early November that Wilson would need 3 months to recover fitness.

Trap's diagnostic prowess remains solid.

In helping you achieve an objective analysis, I merely commented on the article you linked to offer you guidance in your quest.

TrapAPony
06/02/2013, 11:43 AM
Marc's Road To Recovery

http://www.stokecityfc.com/cms_images/player/wilson226-453258_478x359.jpg

PUBLISHED
17:57 5th February 2013
Marc Wilson makes his first appearance in over three months

MARC WILSON took another major step on his road to recovery on Tuesday afternoon . . . playing for 75 minutes of the Potters’ behind closed doors friendly against Northampton Town.

The Republic of Ireland international hasn’t featured for the Club in over three months, having sustained a broken leg in the goalless draw with Sunderland at the Britannia Stadium last October.

However, he came through his first outing since then unscathed, and following the match he was quick to praise the Club’s medical team for the work they have done during his time on the sidelines.

“It went as well as could have been expected today,” he told stokecityfc.com. “It’s been three months now since I had my operation, so to get back out there and get some minutes under my belt feels really good.

“It’s been a tough journey, but the lads who I have had working with me on a daily basis have been a different class, and I undoubtedly owe a lot to them.

“I’ve had to be patient, because as a player you want to get back as soon as possible. But with a broken leg you have to take your time, be clever and make sure you do everything right.”

Whilst refusing to put a time frame upon his potential availability for first-team duties, the 25-year-old believes that he could be ready for a return within a few weeks, pending no major reaction to his leg.

“I don’t want to put an exact time scale on things, because these sort of injuries have to be managed properly,” he added.

“If all goes well then I could be back within a few weeks; if that is the case then that would be absolutely fantastic.

“I felt fine with the running aspects of things, but I can tell that I am a little bit rusty. Once I have sharpened up a little bit I will be fine to go again; and I can’t wait for it.”

http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/article/marcs-road-to-recovery-640638.aspx

BonnieShels
06/02/2013, 12:32 PM
Excellent news.

geysir
06/02/2013, 2:14 PM
Good to have decent back up availble for Cunningham.

SkStu
06/02/2013, 2:48 PM
He looks a bit like Chris O'Dowd....

;)

*nod to Crosby87, wink to theworm2345, high five Nigel!*

nigel-harps1954
06/02/2013, 4:12 PM
He looks a bit like Chris O'Dowd....

;)

*nod to Crosby87, wink to theworm2345*

SkStu
06/02/2013, 4:17 PM
fixed...

tetsujin1979
12/02/2013, 11:17 PM
completed 90 minutes for the reserves: http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/article/shea-burnley-reserves-653359.aspx?pageView=full#anchored

liamoo11
13/02/2013, 3:10 PM
completed 90 minutes for the reserves: http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/article/shea-burnley-reserves-653359.aspx?pageView=full#anchored

That is a very strong stoke reserve side god that fat ape charlie adam really was a one club wonder. Heneghan is supposed to be one of ours i think used be at everton

DannyInvincible
18/02/2013, 9:48 AM
'Wilson set for return to action': http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2013/0218/368339-wilson-set-for-return-to-action/

Marc Wilson is targeting a return to senior action with Stoke in this weekend's Barclays Premier League clash with Fulham after four months out of action with a broken leg.

The versatile Republic of Ireland international has been sidelined since suffering the setback against Sunderland in October.

But Wilson is optimistic of being available for the Potters' trip to Craven Cottage if he comes through a third practice match this afternoon - against Scunthorpe - unscathed.

Wilson told Stoke's official website: "I am looking towards the Fulham game now as a possible return to action.

"I think the game today will benefit me, and then I have the rest of the week to get myself right for the weekend.

"I want to be back out on the pitch, because watching from the stands just isn't the same."

Wilson has not experienced any setbacks since his return to training at the end of January.

He said: "I've had a few weeks of training, and I've played in a few games now too.

"The good news is that I haven't felt any twinges. If anything, it is just general stiffness, which was to be expected."

mark12345
18/02/2013, 12:02 PM
'Wilson set for return to action': http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2013/0218/368339-wilson-set-for-return-to-action/

Fingers crossed he comes back this weekend or next. Because he's going to be badly needed in the Irish defence in Stockholm.

elroy
18/02/2013, 2:48 PM
If he saw some game time at the weekend, there would be a further three games for Stoke before the break for the Sweden game. You would want MW to play the full 90 mins (or close to it) in the two games prior. If he does, then definitely worth serious consideration.

Im not sure if some many lads would be calling for inclusion if he not got that screamer against the FI. However, there is still little doubt he merits the first choice LB spot considering his performances for Stoke. Cunningham is worth a mention, played well in the Poland match, seems to be doing ok for Bristol City, albeit the club are having a poor season.

paul_oshea
18/02/2013, 3:08 PM
So long as ward is nowhere near the team we should be ok, cunningham is probably the best option for us, he looks more natural on the left, if he could bulk up a little. Wilson can get caught out of position a bit, as he comes in, again probably because he is not a natural left-back, but at this moment in time there isn't much between picking him ahead of cunningham, other than he looks more settled and comfortable on the ball.

tetsujin1979
18/02/2013, 4:15 PM
So long as ward is nowhere near the team we should be ok, cunningham is probably the best option for us, he looks more natural on the left, if he could bulk up a little. Wilson can get caught out of position a bit, as he comes in, again probably because he is not a natural left-back, but at this moment in time there isn't much between picking him ahead of cunningham, other than he looks more settled and comfortable on the ball.
He's already bulked up massively from when he made his debut in the RDS

geysir
18/02/2013, 4:30 PM
I thought Cunningham did look a bit scrawny against Poland.
I hope Paul isn't suggesting that he do something illegal in order to bulk up.

tetsujin1979
23/02/2013, 12:04 PM
Starting today for Stoke away to Fulham

SkStu
23/02/2013, 2:45 PM
Lasted the full 90 and got himself a yellow card!

Bungle
23/02/2013, 2:56 PM
Great news that him and Coleman are back today.

tricky_colour
23/02/2013, 5:56 PM
I thought Cunningham did look a bit scrawny against Poland.
I hope Paul isn't suggesting that he do something illegal in order to bulk up.

I expect Andy Reid can give him some tips on legal ways of bulking up.

BonnieShels
24/02/2013, 12:34 PM
Tasty and tempting food at SuperMacs.

Charlie Darwin
28/02/2013, 2:42 PM
Looks set to deputise at centre half while Huth is suspended for the next three games: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0228/1224330606947.html

paul_oshea
28/02/2013, 4:49 PM
Tasty and tempting food at SuperMacs.

Scutterbox.

BonnieShels
28/02/2013, 4:54 PM
Scutterbox.

Miss it much?

http://www.thedailymeal.com/10-fast-food-restaurants-you-havent-heard-slideshow

Anyway...

Back to Marc.

Will be interesting to see him in the centre I have to say after being out for so long.

IsMiseSean
28/02/2013, 6:43 PM
I can see Cameron getting first shot at playing CB with Shawcross.

peadar1987
28/02/2013, 7:06 PM
I can see Cameron getting first shot at playing CB with Shawcross.

Probably. Wilko on the left, Shotton on the right, Wilson on the bench, or left out entirely.

BonnieShels
28/02/2013, 8:52 PM
Here's to ye with being wrong hopefully.

IsMiseSean
28/02/2013, 9:23 PM
I reckon he'll get the nod at LB.

ArdeeBhoy
16/03/2013, 11:37 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/wilson-aims-to-mark-return-trapattoni-s-card-1.1328619

Sullivinho
16/03/2013, 1:33 PM
He says he would always have chosen to play for the Republic and laughs at the suggestion by Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neill this week that some of those from north of the Border might have done better if they had declared for the North.

“I think that’s none of his business,” he says. “You don’t pick your country for a career, definitely not.”

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/105952/article_7d61ad8d23cdb88f_1350458727_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

DannyInvincible
16/03/2013, 2:00 PM
That's O'Neill tould. Couldn't agree more. Fair play to Wilson for setting the record straight.

liamoo11
17/03/2013, 10:32 AM
That's O'Neill tould. Couldn't agree more. Fair play to Wilson for setting the record straight.

true. the most dissappointing thing was o neill was given massive air time in interviews on off the ball and rte and was allowed spout nonsense without been remotely challenged. the simple fundamental that an irish nationalist in the north has the right to play for his country is something all irish people including broadcasters should be proud of.

Gather round
17/03/2013, 10:40 PM
I can understand Wilson being annoyed by what he likely sees as O'Neill's wind-ups. That said, claiming that a player from NI's motivation in deciding to who to play for is none of the NI manager's business is a bit silly.

Not everyone shares Wilson's single-mindedness- if they did, international teams wouldn't have so many players who've never actually lived in their represented countries.

Maybe Off the Ball and RTE are deliberately stoking this story because they think O'Neill ranting is good copy. Alternatively, the lack of a counter to him might suggest that other journalists and pundits just aren't that interested. Or possibly that some might even agree with him.

Put another way, Wilson's eligibility to play for more than one international side is straightforward enough. But it's neither fundamental (in the sense of being some great issue of principle), nor something that is inherently beyond comment by those with an interest, like O'Neill.

Charlie Darwin
17/03/2013, 11:26 PM
I'd say Wilson's problem is the presumption that getting a load of caps for one country is preferable to getting a small number of caps, or none, for your chosen country. O'Neill is the grossly ignorant one here, and I say that as a huge fan of his for the work he did with Shamrock Rovers.

I think O'Neill sees international football as this pragmatic thing that anybody should be grateful to be given the opportunity to do, regardless of how much you relate to the country in question. There are an awful lot of footballers who share his view that international football is a great career move. I'm sure there are several of them in the current and past ROI sides.

Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to understand Wilson's single-mindedness, as you noted, and will therefore forever be baffled by players who would treasure one cap for ROI or England or Scotland over 50 caps for a country they only half-identify with. To him, 50 is a much bigger number than 1, and who'd choose 1 when they can have 50?

geysir
18/03/2013, 9:33 AM
I'd say Wilson's problem is the presumption that getting a load of caps for one country is preferable to getting a small number of caps, or none, for your chosen country. O'Neill is the grossly ignorant one here, and I say that as a huge fan of his for the work he did with Shamrock Rovers.

Does this need a correction?

DannyInvincible
18/03/2013, 9:46 AM
I can understand Wilson being annoyed by what he likely sees as O'Neill's wind-ups. That said, claiming that a player from NI's motivation in deciding to who to play for is none of the NI manager's business is a bit silly.

Not everyone shares Wilson's single-mindedness- if they did, international teams wouldn't have so many players who've never actually lived in their represented countries.

Maybe Off the Ball and RTE are deliberately stoking this story because they think O'Neill ranting is good copy. Alternatively, the lack of a counter to him might suggest that other journalists and pundits just aren't that interested. Or possibly that some might even agree with him.

Put another way, Wilson's eligibility to play for more than one international side is straightforward enough. But it's neither fundamental (in the sense of being some great issue of principle), nor something that is inherently beyond comment by those with an interest, like O'Neill.

The thing is, Wilson has already made his decision and is tied to the FAI. He's happy he has made that choice and has never had second thoughts about it. He made his decision based on national allegiance; it wasn't a career choice for him and it had nothing to do with weighing up the potential number of caps he might accrue for either the IFA or FAI. For O'Neill to bring the notion of career caps into the equation, further claim to have sympathy for what he perceives to have been poor career choices made by switching players and then presume that some of these players must surely regret their decisions is to completely misunderstand the motivations of Irish nationals born north of the border who declare for the FAI. If O'Neill is going to profess an interest in the careers of players no longer eligible to play for the IFA, he could at least try to comprehend the thinking of such players before commenting on them. Previous comments to the media were a breath of fresh air and suggested he did possess an understanding but his latest ignorant remarks just sounded like something Worthington might have come out with pre-Kearns.