PDA

View Full Version : Declan Rice

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

marinobohs
04/10/2018, 10:33 AM
More like West Ham want more time to bully him into a decision.

He is an adult FFS, West Ham 'bullying him' shouldn't come into it. if EPL clubs had their way nobody would play for Ireland (or most other countries). its HIS call, he should make it and let everyone move on. now.

tetsujin1979
04/10/2018, 10:54 AM
He's 19. I was an idiot at 19, my 19 year old friends were idiots. The only thing we didn't know was how idiotic we were.

Olé Olé
04/10/2018, 11:16 AM
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1047802969201172480?s=19

Sky Sports News reckon he's declaring for England. I'm assuming it's based on an actual source, as opposed to being based on the Ireland squad.

Fizzer
04/10/2018, 11:21 AM
Me too,still am to be fair.We can’t expect people to be perfect but tthe question is how the country is to respond appropriately to his idiocy.The FAI/O’Neill know he’s gone,we know he’s gone and he knows he’s gone.He doesn’t have the decency or whatever to just say so.Thats his lookout.So should the FAI not be saying,yeah he’s 19 and immature but we’re not prepared to allow this nonsense to continue and indicate that he will not be considered again for selection,draw a line under it and at least set a precedent that we’re not prepared to continue to be the footballing equivalent of the fat girl at the disco waiting to be asked to dance.The alternative would be to encourage 19 year old idiots to continue with that idiotic behavior cos we think so little of ourselves.Therefore idiotic 19 year olds will never be afforded an opportunity to learn not to be idiots.
It’s appearing increasingly likely that Rice is not going to make any formal statement in the matter,presumably in the hope that it’ll blow over,which is the mindset of a hit and run driver.O’Neill is a shambles,a blundering egotistical buffoon but it is thoroughly unfair for Rice and his people to allow a situation where O’Neill has to make all the public pronouncements.

Real ale Madrid
04/10/2018, 11:23 AM
Rice declares for England according the sky sports - as reported by rte:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1004/1000913-declan-rice-has-declared-for-england-reports/

Olé Olé
04/10/2018, 12:13 PM
O'Neill 'surprised' by report claiming Declan Rice has chosen England http://the42.ie/4267996

MON has directly refuted the Sky Report. "Im told that Sky are going to change it."

Olé Olé
04/10/2018, 12:35 PM
O'Neill 'surprised' by report claiming Declan Rice has chosen England http://the42.ie/4267996

MON has directly refuted the Sky Report. "Im told that Sky are going to change it."

And the FAI tweeted a quote from MON from the above which has been liked by Declan Rice also.

Stuttgart88
04/10/2018, 1:52 PM
Was it liked by Rice? seriously? This is getting intriguing.

Fizzer
04/10/2018, 1:56 PM
He’s ‘unliked’ it now seemingly.Beyond a joke

johnnyc
04/10/2018, 3:01 PM
What a time to be alive.

TrapAPony
04/10/2018, 6:26 PM
Was it liked by Rice? seriously? This is getting intriguing.

He did indeed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoqR6ukW4AAnJA9.jpg:large

His agent must have been on to him in the mean time though.

Olé Olé
04/10/2018, 7:17 PM
He did indeed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoqR6ukW4AAnJA9.jpg:large

His agent must have been on to him in the mean time though.

I know it shouldn't be relevant but it has to be relevant. Does anyone think that his contract situation is the main issue here? Gold and Sullivan are such straight up cowboys that you could easily envisage them saying "Awlright Declan, it's 10 grand a week for Ireland and it's 20 grand a week for England. We have already spoke to your agent on it so he knows the story."

When it was just his father guiding his decision there was no decision at all. Now that the agent has changed and the club has the bargaining power of a contract and have seen Manchester United bidding 50m for Harry Maguire, any small doubt that Rice may have had have come to the surface.

Maybe I'm being kind to him but I don't think this matter is as black and white as, say, Kevin Kilbane makes out. And in spite of all the above, he might well (and I have a sinking feeling that he will) declare for England.

Lionel Ritchie
04/10/2018, 9:53 PM
I know it shouldn't be relevant but it has to be relevant. Does anyone think that his contract situation is the main issue here? Gold and Sullivan are such straight up cowboys that you could easily envisage them saying "Awlright Declan, it's 10 grand a week for Ireland and it's 20 grand a week for England. We have already spoke to your agent on it so he knows the story." .

I think it's a factor for certain. As it was with Grealish. I've nothing against these boys, being born and reared in England, having an allegiance to England as well. It's there situation and their right. But there's more calculators and spreadsheets than flags and jerseys used to explain the consequences of their choices and it's a fact that he's worth more to West Ham as an England eligible player than he'd ever be as an Ireland player.

tricky_colour
04/10/2018, 11:50 PM
Well I head he had switched to England on Sky Sports on the telly. probably the same story I guess, but it has gotta be a tough
decision for some, if he decides to go with England fair enough, it is not the end of the world.

Fixer82
05/10/2018, 12:04 AM
Well I head he had switched to England on Sky Sports on the telly. probably the same story I guess, but it has gotta be a tough
decision for some, if he decides to go with England fair enough, it is not the end of the world.

Wouldn't be the first time Sky News steered the news to fit their own agenda

tetsujin1979
05/10/2018, 12:48 AM
They've rolled that back to "is leaning towards England"

DCWA
05/10/2018, 1:47 AM
Is there a possibility that Sky releasing that story either prematurely or simply incorrectly would make a slight difference to Rice? Considering he liked the O'Neill snippet on Twitter, perhaps he will think hold on here, West Ham want me to go England the media want me to go England but the decision is for me an my family, I'm staying put.

tetsujin1979
05/10/2018, 9:39 AM
I'm a bit worried about the vested interests in the outcome of Rice's international allegiance. Various bookmakers, including Paddy Power, had a market open on whether or not Rice would declare for England. They even had one on whether or not he'd be named in the squad, which can't happen until the paperwork is processed, which will take at least three months.

One of the Sky Sports reporters tweeted this. Summary: we don't know what's going on either, but we're not going to admit it

Stuttgart88
05/10/2018, 9:41 AM
I know. I'm just not telling you.

Olé Olé
05/10/2018, 10:03 AM
I'm a bit worried about the vested interests in the outcome of Rice's international allegiance. Various bookmakers, including Paddy Power, had a market open on whether or not Rice would declare for England. They even had one on whether or not he'd be named in the squad, which can't happen until the paperwork is processed, which will take at least three months.

One of the Sky Sports reporters tweeted this. Summary: we don't know what's going on either, but we're not going to admit it

You would imagine the fake news yesterday came from "sources close to the player" also

tricky_colour
05/10/2018, 8:23 PM
Currently losing 1-0 to Duffy's Brighton, who will go a point about West Ham if the result remains the same.

tricky_colour
05/10/2018, 8:31 PM
Think Duffy might have scored if Glenn Murray didn't get his head to the ball from a corner first. Brighton look good to win it.

tricky_colour
05/10/2018, 8:55 PM
1-0 FT was a good game, great atmosphere as WH went for the equaliser but Brighton defended well. Rice seems to play pretty well, indeed everyone did not but Brightons defence held out second half, Brighton attacked well first half.

Olé Olé
07/10/2018, 7:27 PM
Great balanced debate on the Rice situation on the Off the Ball Sunday paper review featuring former Ireland basketballer and present commentator Timmy McCarthy (you'll know the voice!) And history professor and former Offaly football manager, Paul Rouse.

There was reference to a David Sneyd article in today's mail which I can't find online. The article apparently details the emotion of Rice and his father in the tunnel after his debut. I can't help but have this awful feeling that Rice has his senior cap and that moment of pride of his father and that can't be taken away from him. Maybe now he's thinking of parking that and considering more competitive football with England and the possibility thereof. There's reference to Kevin Kilbane's position also and I think Kevin should remember that Rice's father would be second generation like Kevin. The extra layer of complexity surrounding Rice's identity is added by his being third generation. His father's and brothers' feelings on the matter exactly reflecting Declan's is understandably not quite possible

liamoo11
07/10/2018, 8:43 PM
Great balanced debate on the Rice situation on the Off the Ball Sunday paper review featuring former Ireland basketballer and present commentator Timmy McCarthy (you'll know the voice!) And history professor and former Offaly football manager, Paul Rouse.

There was reference to a David Sneyd article in today's mail which I can't find online. The article apparently details the emotion of Rice and his father in the tunnel after his debut. I can't help but have this awful feeling that Rice has his senior cap and that moment of pride of his father and that can't be taken away from him. Maybe now he's thinking of parking that and considering more competitive football with England and the possibility thereof. There's reference to Kevin Kilbane's position also and I think Kevin should remember that Rice's father would be second generation like Kevin. The extra layer of complexity surrounding Rice's identity is added by his being third generation. His father's and brothers' feelings on the matter exactly reflecting Declan's is understandably not quite possible

Yes it was a good discussion. Ultimately as a parent you have to try to make sure your kids aren't living their lives to make you happy but are following their own path. I think in this situation it might be best to allow the lads to follow his heart without the worry of what his dad or brothers or grandparents want

tetsujin1979
08/10/2018, 10:08 PM
The Game Dissected: why are England and Ireland fighting over Declan Rice? (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/the-game-dissected-why-are-england-and-ireland-fighting-over-declan-rice-n96wwbdnn)

In his weekly column, Tom Clarke analyses Declan Rice’s role in West Ham’s midfield to find out why the 19-year-old is at the centre of an international tug of war
Good dissection of Rice's role for West Ham in recent games. It's behind a paywall, but registration is free, and allows you to read two paid articles a week

Diggs246
09/10/2018, 10:08 AM
This English paper thinks he should stay with us

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/10/09/declan-rice-should-consider-happened-jack-grealish-rejecting/amp/

Deckydee
09/10/2018, 10:18 AM
Beat me to it Diggs! :) :)

FANTASTIC article
(https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/10/09/declan-rice-should-consider-happened-jack-grealish-rejecting/)

Olé Olé
09/10/2018, 12:06 PM
Good article, very persuasive and very true. I heard a radio discussion recently which pointed out that the equivalent of Rice in the England squad is probably Eric Dier and he's not that far behind Dier.

Grealish has far more competition in his position. However, Grealish can point James Maddison's call-up as Maddison was playing Championship last year (oh, and he rejected us!).

DeLorean
09/10/2018, 1:47 PM
We knew Grealish was a long way off an England (senior) call-up when he switched. I don't think that's the case with Rice at all.

seanfhear
09/10/2018, 3:44 PM
I thought Dier was better than he has turned out to be . There certainly is a possibility for Rice in that Position .

How many more will Keane and O’Neill turn away ?

DeLorean
10/10/2018, 12:46 PM
I thought Dier was better than he has turned out to be

Yeah, although I don't think he's quite as bad as people say either. Rice would also have to overcome Jordan Hendserson for a starting place.

Doable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsoX0JLR6ic

jbyrne
10/10/2018, 1:50 PM
How many more will Keane and O’Neill turn away ?

not sure how much more management could have done to secure Rice to be honest..... and please don't mention capping him against moldova when he had only played a few hours for west ham in the league by then.

seanfhear
10/10/2018, 2:31 PM
Yeah, although I don't think he's quite as bad as people say either. Rice would also have to overcome Jordan Hendserson for a starting place.

Doable.

Henderson is what he is . A fairly limited Player at the top level . How come England cannot produce any half decent holding midfielders ?

CraftyToePoke
10/10/2018, 2:41 PM
Henderson is what he is . A fairly limited Player at the top level . How come England cannot produce any half decent holding midfielders ?

Well, they have, lets be honest, goes by the name Declan :)

seanfhear
10/10/2018, 3:16 PM
;)
Well, they have, lets be honest, goes by the name Declan
How cruel of you ;)

seanfhear
10/10/2018, 3:18 PM

Doable.

After watching that its no wonder Southgate broadened his culinary tastes .

tricky_colour
11/10/2018, 1:22 PM

Doable.

That series of over hit balls gave me a good laugh!🤣

backstothewall
18/10/2018, 12:59 PM
I was reading around this today. There is an opportunity there for the government to pull a few strings and resolve this in our favour. Leo or Simon might get themselves some favourable coverage while they were at it.

The new agency who O'Neill blamed for getting in his ear is SFX Sports, which is owned by a guy called Casey Wasserman. The Wassermans are close to the Clintons who the government have a terrific relationship with. Declan Rice is so far below the radar I would doubt Wasserman even knows who he is, but with the right phone calls there is a potential opportunity there for a quick win.

osarusan
18/10/2018, 2:17 PM
I think he should just be left alone to make his decision.

Eminence Grise
19/10/2018, 4:28 PM
For a minute there, BTTW, I thought you were going to suggest a border deal on Brexit - a stopper at the back in exchange for the backstop!

Deckydee
31/10/2018, 6:03 AM
Oh no > https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/739647/Declan-Rice-England-international

Olé Olé
31/10/2018, 6:08 AM
Oh no > https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/739647/Declan-Rice-England-international

A lot of specific details (whether true or not) in that story when compared to previous ones. Which worries me.

seanfhear
31/10/2018, 8:28 AM
Best of luck to the lad . A lot more money to be made and much greater chances of success . The English FA are also very unlikely to hire Martin O’ Neill or Roy Keane .

England are trying to play football under Southgate which is probably an attraction to a player with footballing ability .

Lets be honest here , if any of us were him ( with where he was brought up , etc ) wouldn’t we be vert tempted / definitely accepting this option .

Diggs246
31/10/2018, 8:43 AM
Best of luck to the lad . A lot more money to be made and much greater chances of success . The English FA are also very unlikely to hire Martin O’ Neill or Roy Keane .

England are trying to play football under Southgate which is probably an attraction to a player with footballing ability .

Lets be honest here , if any of us were him ( with where he was brought up , etc ) wouldn’t we be vert tempted / definitely accepting this option .

No to be honest, if i lined out three times for a country and played through their youth system i wouldnt be able to let all those people who helped me down

seanfhear
31/10/2018, 8:54 AM
No to be honest, if i lined out three times for a country and played through their youth system i wouldnt be able to let all those people who helped me down
Fair dues to ya but everyone is different . To some football is a business ( it is ) . He can make considerably more money as an England international and much more chance of big success .

It would be nice it we had kept a committed Rice and Grealish because if we had we would immediately have so much more ‘ Potential ‘ . It might be even easier to keep /attract some other good talent .

C’est la Vie . In the past we have greatly benefited from getting players in somewhat similar situation ....So we can’t really complain !

brine3
31/10/2018, 9:10 AM
Leaving both money and patriotism aside, and considering football as the beautiful game...

...would you rather play for Southgate or MONKeano?

tetsujin1979
31/10/2018, 9:25 AM
Saw a bit of the West Ham game at the weekend, Rice alongside Noble in midfield, and it reminded me of when Noble was being touted as a possible call up for the Ireland team. Of course, that never happened, but he never played for England's senior team either. It looks like Rice will go on to earn some caps for them, but I can't see it being anywhere near the same number as what he would have earned with Ireland.

Grealish is unlikely to play for England while he's still in the Championhip, so he's not going to make his senior debut until next summer, at the earliest, whereas if he'd stayed with Ireland he'd be well into double figures by now and would have appeared at the European Championships.

Deckydee
31/10/2018, 9:57 AM
Well we got Mike Haley and Will Addision from them in the rugby so.............???? :tongue:

Diggs246
31/10/2018, 10:41 AM
I think we should ababdon the appeasement strategy and put in place a zero tolerence policy.

If a player refuses a call up to think, then we should close the door. He did it with Liam Kelly and that was the right way to do it going forward