PDA

View Full Version : 2008 attendances

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Sam_Heggy
27/05/2008, 3:18 PM
Should be a minimum of 3500 in Finn Park tonight, hopefully more but the mid week fixture could reduce the numbers as alot of Harps and Derry fans live in Dublin and Belfast.

ndrog
27/05/2008, 3:21 PM
drogheda and dundalk are 15 mins away from each other .Thats our derby game .How could shamrock rovers , a team from south dublin possibly be a derby for us ? no history to it whatsoever .Bohs has become a bit of a grudge match i suppose but not a derby by any stretch .

Green&whitearmy
27/05/2008, 9:25 PM
shocking attendance at ucd this evening, i would probably say no more than 200 with probably more bray fans at it.

Marco
27/05/2008, 9:50 PM
Cobh v Finn Harps 985 official attendance.

DmanDmythDledge
27/05/2008, 10:14 PM
shocking attendance at ucd this evening, i would probably say no more than 200 with probably more bray fans at it.
Could almost swere that there was more than the Galway game and that was 395. 200 is definitely too low anyway.

Official crowd will be posted in due course anyway.

Sam_Heggy
27/05/2008, 10:25 PM
About 5000 in Finn Park tonight for a great game of football.

RedRebel32
27/05/2008, 10:32 PM
savage crowd, how RTE did not show that and showed ireland B rugby against a pub team is beyond me

pineapple stu
28/05/2008, 12:26 AM
Could almost swere that there was more than the Galway game and that was 395. 200 is definitely too low anyway.

320 official. About half and half, I thought. Biggest Bray crowd I can remember in fairness. Given they had about ten in the singing section in March, I don't know where the rest came from!

On a related topic, can anyone explain why we have a 16-week pre-season and then have midweek games which seem to affect every club's attendance by 25-50%? Seems a bit silly.

Candystripe
28/05/2008, 4:31 AM
About 4,700 for Harps V Derry

About only 1,300 away fans. It was a tues night.

WindmillWarrior
28/05/2008, 10:08 AM
1,500 Drogs v Sligo

WoodquayBoy
28/05/2008, 10:16 AM
Local paper has an official attendance of 779 for the Utd-Cobh game

Buller
28/05/2008, 12:59 PM
Local paper has an official attendance of 779 for the Utd-Cobh game

Oh dear... That was a crucial game aswell - pity to see Galway doing so bad, theyve got so much potential

dcfcsteve
28/05/2008, 1:47 PM
About 4,700 for Harps V Derry

About only 1,300 away fans. It was a tues night.

Great crowd as usual. Dublin derbies, how are ya'.....? :D

deecay
28/05/2008, 5:10 PM
Great crowd as usual. Dublin derbies, how are ya'.....? :D
To be fair Derry win every game.Either can win Shams v Bohs and there is more hatred

kingdomkerry
28/05/2008, 5:58 PM
How many were at the Pats Bohs game?

Martinho II
30/05/2008, 11:13 AM
i saw somewhere that there was 2000 people at it...

Mr A
30/05/2008, 11:20 AM
Heard a figure of about 3500 for Harps-Derry.

Sam_Heggy
30/05/2008, 11:25 AM
Heard a figure of about 3500 for Harps-Derry.

WAY more than that, the ground can hold around 6000, the 3 opened sides were full and only behind the goals at the river end was empty (which would hold around 1000) so general maths would suggest different to 3500 imo.

dcfcsteve
30/05/2008, 3:23 PM
To be fair Derry win every game.Either can win Shams v Bohs and there is more hatred

This is a game that traditionally has a one-sided result, and less "hatred" (?) than the supposed big Dublin derby ?

Yet the attendnace at Harps-Derry still always wipes the floor with such Dublin derbies, that would appear to be much more attractive fixtures (not to mention in a much bigger population).

Thank you for proving my point.....

:ball:

Steve Bruce
30/05/2008, 3:38 PM
What surprises me about the LOI is how bad the derby crowds are.

LOI get more support than the IL, that is fact and I accept that as fact. But your derby crowds are not great at all.

In a league match between Linfield and Glentoran would get the very minimum of 6,000 and that would be a very bad crowd. In the last few years, there has been 14,000 at the Oval on the infamous Morgan day and Boxing day always gets 5 figure attendance regardless of league situation and recently there was around 10,000 at Windsor and factor in that Glentoran has a massive ticket problem and thousands where unable to get tickets, we would have had a far bigger crowd at Windsor.

Coleraine vs Ballymena regulary get 3500+, Portadown vs Glenavon would get more and in the past have got upwards of 10,000 (and I’m not talking 20 years ago).

Derry City vs Finn Harps, get 4000 – 6000. Which is good, but this is by far and away the biggest attended derby of LOI. Which is poor.

Anyway, the whole point of this post isn’t to be a WUM, I do have a genuine question behind all this.

In Northern Ireland there are many people who are fair weather supporters, who do have an interest but do not go to the bread and butter games. So the potential is there to expand, it’s just whether we can tempt them to come to every game.

Do the LOI have the same sort of interest? Or have you got the majority of people who are interested going to games? Do you feel there is a lot of interest for the league but just don’t go? (similar to IL)

Mr A
30/05/2008, 3:53 PM
I think the tradition of the Boxing day games helps the IL derbies get really good crowds. These seem to be big events regardless of how the season is going for the clubs. The eircom league has no such equivalent. Also, the teams tend to play each other more often, which detracts from the attraction.

I'd be willing to bet the average derby crowd in the North will drop next year with more league games between the sides.

dcfcsteve
30/05/2008, 4:10 PM

LOI get more support than the IL, that is fact and I accept that as fact. But your derby crowds are not great at all.

In a league match between Linfield and Glentoran would get the very minimum of 6,000 and that would be a very bad crowd. In the last few years, there has been 14,000 at the Oval on the infamous Morgan day and Boxing day always gets 5 figure attendance regardless of league situation and recently there was around 10,000 at Windsor and factor in that Glentoran has a massive ticket problem and thousands where unable to get tickets, we would have had a far bigger crowd at Windsor.

Coleraine vs Ballymena regulary get 3500+, Portadown vs Glenavon would get more and in the past have got upwards of 10,000 (and I’m not talking 20 years ago).

Derry City vs Finn Harps, get 4000 – 6000. Which is good, but this is by far and away the biggest attended derby of LOI. Which is poor.

Anyway, the whole point of this post isn’t to be a WUM, I do have a genuine question behind all this.

In Northern Ireland there are many people who are fair weather supporters, who do have an interest but do not go to the bread and butter games. So the potential is there to expand, it’s just whether we can tempt them to come to every game.

Do the LOI have the same sort of interest? Or have you got the majority of people who are interested going to games? Do you feel there is a lot of interest for the league but just don’t go? (similar to IL)

The key issue I believe is that there is a football culture throughout Northern Ireland, which is lacking in the Republic.

Northern Ireland is and always has been the footballing heart-land of the island. Bar the odd hick village in Tyrone or Derry, or the Hurling-loving Glens of Antrim, there are no towns in the North where soccer isn't the number one sport through and through. Furtehrmore, it's been the number one game throughout the north since time began. As a result, most people in parts of the north that have an IL team will know people who are supporters of the game, and many will have been to matches themselves

In the Republic, on the other hand, large swathes of the country have historically not had a culture of supporting soccer (and often darn-right hostility towards it). There are huge areas where GAA, and even rugby, have always been more popular than soccer. Even where EL teams do exist, outside of the main cities (and often inside as well) these are teams with much less history and longevity behind them than your average IL team. The likes of Galway, Limerick, Drogheda, Longford, etc haven't the support - both active and latent - built-up over many decades that the likes of Portadown, Ballymena, Coleraine etc do. It's no accident that of the 6 new spaces (and the 11 or so different teams who've fille dthem) that were added added to the LOI in 1985 - 23yrs ago - the only club that's had good support (City) is the one from a hard-core soccer city in the north where the team had a latent pool of support to tap into. There is nowhere near the same latent pool of support for the local game in the south as there is in the north. You could spend your whole life in Dublin without meeting anyone who's ever been to an Eircom League game. Depending on the circles you move within, that would be a lot harder to do in Belfast I believe.

What primarily killed football in the Republic was, i believe, the glittering lights of English/Scottish football and the promise of something much better elsewhere. What did the same for the IL, I believe, had more to do with the sectarian strife impacting on the game. That would suggest that the latent pool is still there to be tapped. But i don't believe, in this modern age, that the extremely parochial IL has the draw to fully tap that latent potential (I think an AIL would have a much better chance).

kingdomkerry
30/05/2008, 5:09 PM
Cork City have a bigger support than Derry City. There are too many teams in dublin thats why a big top of table derby can only get 2,000. If there was one team for northside one team for southside it would be far better.

Raheny Red
30/05/2008, 5:10 PM
The key issue I believe is that there is a football culture throughout Northern Ireland, which is lacking in the Republic.

Less travelling up the north is the key imo...

Keen2win
30/05/2008, 5:19 PM
Cork City have a bigger support than Derry City. There are too many teams in dublin thats why a big top of table derby can only get 2,000. If there was one team for northside one team for northside it would be far better.

South I'd imagine.

Paddyfield
30/05/2008, 9:49 PM
Galway United v St Pat's - official attendance - 1,003

Green&whitearmy
30/05/2008, 10:19 PM
great crowd in bray tonight, about 1000 rovers at least. i'd say the attendance would be about 2200-2300, im open to correction on that now.

sonofstan
30/05/2008, 10:34 PM
You could spend your whole life in Dublin without meeting anyone who's ever been to an Eircom League game.

I agree with most of the rest of what you say, but that statement is only true if you stick a '4' after the word 'Dublin' - certainly, in North or West Dublin, you would have to move in very select circles to avoid LoI fans completely

Rovers fan
30/05/2008, 10:42 PM
Its going to be very tough to change people's outlook towards the eloi. So many people who are interested in football have never been to a league of ireland game. I think a few campaigns in secondary schools could change things,its young people's attitudes that can change. Its so frustrating talking to people who are interested in football and asking them why they don't go to games,they say "cos its sh**",but sure they've never been at a game so how would they know?!

dcfcsteve
30/05/2008, 10:51 PM
Less travelling up the north is the key imo...

But it's all relative.

Anyway - away crowds are generally poor at IL games, and if you're talking about derby games there's little travel involved in those games eitehr side of the border.

dcfcsteve
30/05/2008, 10:57 PM
Cork City have a bigger support than Derry City.

Not sure what your point is...? :confused: It's a much bigger city anyway.

There are too many teams in dublin thats why a big top of table derby can only get 2,000. If there was one team for northside one team for southside it would be far better.

There are too many teams in Dublin, but I don't believe that's why derbies there get poor crowds. There's an even biggger 'club density' problem, and a much smaller population, in Belfast - Yet Linfield v Glens can atract 10,000. The number of clubs isn't so much of a problem re individual games's attendances if you have a couple of big, well supported clubs (or clubs with latent support). We don't have that in Dublin, but they do in Belfast. The big question is - why is that ?

Candystripe
31/05/2008, 12:27 AM

How many was at the Setanta derby games in Belfast?

It didn't seem to many the past two seasons. Defo not more than 4,000 reading through the old threads on ILS forums.

As for the mid Ulster derby, it's been only twice in 14 years since the crowd exceeded 5,000.

The north coast derby barely gets 2,000 nowadays.

Things will hopefully improve with the 12/14 team league.

pineapple stu
31/05/2008, 1:33 AM
Woeful crowd at Belfield tonight; no official figures available for the foreseeable future, but it was about 200.

Edit - 230 on the RTÉ report and on the radio, so that appears to be an official figure.

harry crumb
31/05/2008, 3:15 AM
Listening on radio on the way home from home from Dublin.

When a crowd of 230 was announced by Pat McCaullive a shudder went through my body.

Thats the equivilant of the the attendance of an u-10 streets league final in Cork.

Good win though.

oldyouth
31/05/2008, 7:41 AM
Serious question for UCD fans. Are attendances effected by the terms at college. i.e. Are most of the supporters students, who disperse to various parts of the country during the summer months or are there many of your fans who don't go to UCD but live in the area??

DmanDmythDledge
31/05/2008, 8:50 AM
Serious question for UCD fans. Are attendances effected by the terms at college. i.e. Are most of the supporters students, who disperse to various parts of the country during the summer months or are there many of your fans who don't go to UCD but live in the area??
No, a very small part of our support is made up of students. The most students we had this season was around 120 against Drogheda. We usually only get around 20, although I don't think anyone has been keeping check lately.

gufct
31/05/2008, 8:52 AM
if there was 230 there you can be sure 70/80 were Harps supporters at the very least so just 150 home fans and neutrals.Most 1st division Teams have bigger support than that.

DmanDmythDledge
31/05/2008, 8:53 AM
if there was 230 there you can be sure 70/80 were Harps supporters at the very least so just 150 home fans and neutrals.Most 1st division Teams have bigger support than that.
How can you be so sure? Not sure what difference it makes but there was about 50 Harps fans at most, and that would be being generous. Yet again you come marching in thinking you know it all when you don't have a clue.

Buller
31/05/2008, 9:40 AM

Derry vs Finn Harps would get on average 6,000 to 7,000. (that 4,000 crowd was on a tuesday night)

The last Rovers-Bohs derby in Tolka there were at least 4,500 at it with an incredible atmosphere. So the north-west derby isn't "far and away" the biggest attended derby in the LOI. In tallaght I can assure you we will easily sell out this derby (6,000). But yeah, it is bad considering you's can get 14,000 for the glentoran-lindfield derby - I think that is an incredible crowd considering both clubs average attendences are around 2,500. (guess) The event junkie mentality on this island is obviously very prevelent up north.

passinginterest
31/05/2008, 10:01 AM
901 announced at Shels v Youths.

HarpsinDublin
31/05/2008, 10:13 AM
How can you be so sure? Not sure what difference it makes but there was about 50 Harps fans at most, and that would be being generous. Yet again you come marching in thinking you know it all when you don't have a clue.

Are you sure about 50 Harps fans present. First half was so dire we did a rough head count of the away support - which was scattered all over the stand, so much for segregation and came up with a figure of 77. We estimated less than 200 at the game at that stage.

Poor game, poor attendance, poor programme, the game didnt have an awful lot to recommend it to fans.

DmanDmythDledge
31/05/2008, 10:27 AM
Are you sure about 50 Harps fans present. First half was so dire we did a rough head count of the away support - which was scattered all over the stand, so much for segregation and came up with a figure of 77. We estimated less than 200 at the game at that stage.
I wouldn't to be honest. I'd have thought there was less that 50 actually but obviously I wouldn't have been able to take into account fans that weren't wearing any colour. Had a look down the away end and there was barely any there at kick off. There were a fair few scattered around the ground as you said though which would have made it difficult to judge.

oldyouth
31/05/2008, 11:17 AM
901 announced at Shels v Youths.
How many did we bring Passing?

passinginterest
31/05/2008, 11:26 AM
How many did we bring Passing?

I'd say about 40-50. Made a bit of noise too. I think the leaving cert is affecting the numbers in the singing crowd though. Shels fans were in good voice, the Celine Dion crowd down the road in Croker were also making plenty of noise. :D

forza
31/05/2008, 11:50 AM
Galway United v St Pat's - official attendance - 1,003

1020 Actually!!

oriel
31/05/2008, 12:04 PM
Derry vs Finn Harps would get on average 6,000 to 7,000. (that 4,000 crowd was on a tuesday night)

The last Rovers-Bohs derby in Tolka there were at least 4,500 at it with an incredible atmosphere. So the north-west derby isn't "far and away" the biggest attended derby in the LOI.

Agree, Derry/Harps will play 4 times this year, and their crowds will (and have been) excellent, however the statement 'far and away' biggest derby in loi is not an accurate statement to make.

The last 3 games* between Dundalk and Drogheda Utd, (granted all were FAI Cup games) but these were alll within the past 4 years all returned between 4,000 + 4,500 crowds.

*im not including the annual warm up pre season game between both

steno
31/05/2008, 1:22 PM
Kildare County V Longford Town: 164

Straightstory
31/05/2008, 2:31 PM
The likes of Galway, Limerick, Drogheda, Longford, etc haven't the support - both active and latent - built-up over many decades that the likes of Portadown, Ballymena, Coleraine etc do. .[/QUOTE]

Quite wrong to have Drogheda in this list. It's always been a football town. The original Drogheda United were formed in 1919, and being both situated on the east coast and historically within the Pale, it wasn't so GAA orientated as the other towns you've mentioned. (Also, despite their current woes, Limerick have been successful and well supported in the past).

Candystripe
31/05/2008, 2:51 PM
The last 3 games* between Dundalk and Drogheda Utd, (granted all were FAI Cup games) but these were alll within the past 4 years all returned between 4,000 + 4,500 crowds.

The 2 Derry V Harps games in the F.A.I. cup had attendances of over 9,000 at the Brandywell and more recently around 6,500 at Finn Pk.

Paddyfield
31/05/2008, 8:06 PM
1020 Actually!!

They announced 1003 at the game Forza.