PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

fonzi
06/08/2003, 8:58 PM
naturally, it's got to be an Irishman's duty to follow the mighty Glasgow Rangers, the pride of all of Britain

how better to remember the great Irish rule by adopting the finist royalist team is Scotland and remembering the greatness of all things monarchonial

petef
09/08/2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante
Irish? No. Scottish who made his fortune in Canada. Started numerous campaigns to stop the Soldiers Song being sung pre-match and tried to tie up sectarian problems with the strong Irish connections.

The fans were having none of though thankfully....

How wouldn't the sectarian problems not be connnected with Ireland, unfortunately they go hand in hand.

I like Celtic, enjoy the football but all the bull**** that goes with it I have no interest, for purely football its great.

Having lived in Glasgow now for 4 years about half of the Celtic fans I've met are Scot's who think they are someway Irish because of distant family relations.

It is often this ill informed type of fan who will happily sing things like the Soldier Song and other sectarian songs I've never even heard of, some are even shocked that I'm Irish and don't know these tunes, you could explain to them that the south of Ireland (the majority, theres always a few) is not in any way as bigoted and twisted as they actually think, in fact most haven't even been there, the furthest they get is Donegal.

Best one I can remember is the Rangers fan who said to me he was shocked to see some woman from Ireland on Stars In Their Eyes singing Simply The Best, his words to me were how could she sing that tune when its played at Ibrox week in week out, when your faced with this level of stupidity on a weekly basis theres nothing you can say.

I have no problem with anyone supporting a distant team, I've supported Forest since I was a kid and have taken a keen interest in Celtic since I arrived over here.

I still keep an eye out for the odd result in the Eircom League as I used to train with a div 1 team a few yrs back and also play for the amateur side of another LOI team I also watch out for irish teams in europe and have a scout about these forums, but to be honest I can't really get excited about irish soccer as I still think the standard needs to improve significantly. Maybe things have changed since I last saw a game so I apologise if I am wrong.

Peter.

Jam
10/08/2003, 3:46 PM
have to say Fergus McCann I think was right to try to remove the sectarian problems at Parkhead and if you think the singing of various Irish rebel songs at Celtic park isn't in a sense sectarian motivated then I would say take yer head oot yer erse.

There is a considerable vocal minority parkhead that think they are Irish in some way due to the fact that they are catholic (not even religious either - yet in some way culturally catholic). They are total bigots and think that Scottish society hates celtic and catholics and that non-celtic supporters are all h*ns. The removal of that is something to be applauded. I think Celtic are too Irish in this cringeworthy sentimental way. Rangers of course are a complete disgrace as well but they aren't being discussed.

Interesting to note that the Scottish Celtic fans who are anti-brit and republican don't vote SNP (Scottish Independence) - they all vote North-Brit Lab*ur party - so in fact they are all north-Brit Scum! Ha!

:rolleyes: :D ;)

If I was Irish I would definitely support an Irish team not some team created by the Irish disapora over a century ago in a different country whose supporters (say in Scotland) identify with an identity of a country (Ireland) that in a huge way no longer exists in such a radical form.

NigeSausagepump
11/08/2003, 7:32 AM
Originally posted by Jam

If I was Irish I would definitely support an Irish team not some team created by the Irish disapora over a century ago in a different country whose supporters (say in Scotland) identify with an identity of a country (Ireland) that in a huge way no longer exists in such a radical form.

Very well put mate.
My sentiments exactly.

Paddy Ramone
13/08/2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by fonzi
naturally, it's got to be an Irishman's duty to follow the mighty Glasgow Rangers, the pride of all of Britain

how better to remember the great Irish rule by adopting the finist royalist team is Scotland and remembering the greatness of all things monarchonial

That's a good one, all the old Irish Gaelic chieftains were staunch monarchists. The Irish bards sang songs and wrote poetry exalting the Catholic Stuarts in the eighteenth century. 'Mo Ghile Gear' a song about Scottish hero Bonnie Prince Charlie was even considered as an Irish National anthem. Republicanism was brought to Ireland ironically by Ulster Presbyterians so Celtic should be the Royalists and Rangers should be the Republicans.

wws
13/08/2003, 10:38 AM
East Fife
St Mirren
and South Park

there the teams I have a soft spot for in scotchland

fonzi
13/08/2003, 10:48 AM
soldier song is a wasted lament by a bunch of people who are undermining what ireland is really all about.
we dont need fools chanting from the terraces about this that and the other, slandering this person or that,

its crap

eoinh
13/08/2003, 10:49 AM
i wish Celtic luck in their campaign to join the premiership.

celtic - the unionist club

wws
13/08/2003, 10:52 AM
up south park!

Paddy Ramone
13/08/2003, 10:58 AM
As I said before Hibs are the best Scottish side for the Irish to support. They were the first ever side to be founded by Irish people in 1875 and wore the green even before Ireland did. Also they have roughly 50/50 Catholic-Protestant support and are non-sectarian with less of the old firm bigotry. I think Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland fans should wear Hibs tops instead of old firm tops. I'd also like to add that the greatest Irish player ever, a certain George Best (a Protestant) wore the green of the Hibees.

Casegrande
13/08/2003, 11:17 AM
Ireland taking over the Premiership.
Ireland? :confused:

I thought this thread was about the British club Glasgow Celtic?

eoinh
13/08/2003, 11:26 AM
Wouldn't it be great? Week in week out seeing the Tricolour draped in the away ends of Anfield, Old Trafford and Highbury. Ireland taking over the Premiership. I like it....

actually silvio as scottish clubs no longer win things in europe instead of your idea of dublin clubs joining up a far better idea would be for all scottish teams to join up and and join the english premiership. who knows they might make mid-table respectibility.

they could be called North Britain AFC.

it wouldnt insult rangers as they would join england
and celtic wouldnt be insulted either as the Britons were a celtic people.

Paddy Ramone
13/08/2003, 11:28 AM
Wouldn't it be great? Week in week out seeing the Tricolour draped in the away ends of Anfield, Old Trafford and Highbury. Ireland taking over the Premiership. I like it....

You do already see tricolours at those grounds because of the huge Irish support those clubs attract. I wonder if would we see an end to the affinity between Celtic and Liverpool fans.

I always thought that was a bit odd, since Liverpool were founded by an Orangeman. Even Johnny "Mad Dog" Adair the Loyalist terrorist is a Liverpool fan. Some say KOP stands for "King Over Pope". I'd say if the ever the Old Firm enter the premiership it would increase sectarian tensions in Liverpool, which has a large Orange population as well as a large Catholic population. I don't think the scousers would want that.

NigeSausagepump
13/08/2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by eoinh
i wish Celtic luck in their campaign to join the premiership.

I wish Celtic luck in their campaign to join the 21st century.

wws
13/08/2003, 11:31 AM
:D

Casegrande
13/08/2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
I wish Celtic luck in their campaign to join the 21st century.

:D :D :D

Heeeeere comes Silvio!

Paddy Ramone
13/08/2003, 1:24 PM
I don't see why the old firm want to join the premiership so much. They're gauranteed a European place each as it is. They'd have to compete with Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea for European places. There is a possibility that they could even be relegated, even Man Utd were relegated from the top division in the 1970's.

Also Celtic are bound to attract the attentions of the BNP element. Could you also imagine the reaction against Celtic fans if there was a Continuity IRA or Real IRA terrorist atrocity in England. No the English, if they have any sense do not want the old firm.

Paddy Ramone
13/08/2003, 1:43 PM
I'm a traditionalist at heart and I think it would devalue the Scottish Premier League if the Old Firm were to leave. I know most Hibees and other Scottish fans want to see the back of the Old Firm but I think they're wrong. The champions of the Scottish Premier League should be the best team based in Scotland.

Also now that football is becoming respectable in England I don't think they want Old Firm bigotry stirring up hooliganism again.

Jam
13/08/2003, 2:33 PM
most patriotic Scots can't stand the Auld Firm and no wonder - they discourage Scots playing in their teams, they have no loyalty to Scotland judging by their naked ambitions to paly in the Premiership, they go about sectarianism and republican/loyalist ambitions of a selection of people in another country whitst paying no interest to the national ambitions of their own country (Scotland) and in general they are an embarrassment to Scotland.

The extreme loyalist Rangers fans are the scum of the earth while many Celtic fans are clones of each other. What kind of fitba team has its roots in religion (or more accurately a pathetic, romantic identity based around religion).

In Scotland nearly all of the Catholics, regardless of where they are from, support Celtic. What a lot of boring clones.

Am I bigot? Well I'm from Catholic stock myself - just opened my eyes to see that firstly I'm not from Glasgow and secondly I'm Scottish.

Silvio Dante - are you serious aboot the lassie singing that song? phucks sake...

Paddy Ramone
13/08/2003, 3:24 PM
Originally posted by Jam
most patriotic Scots can't stand the Auld Firm and no wonder - they discourage Scots playing in their teams, they have no loyalty to Scotland judging by their naked ambitions to paly in the Premiership, they go about sectarianism and republican/loyalist ambitions of a selection of people in another country whitst paying no interest to the national ambitions of their own country (Scotland) and in general they are an embarrassment to Scotland

The extreme loyalist Rangers fans are the scum of the earth while many Celtic fans are clones of each other. What kind of fitba team has its roots in religion (or more accurately a pathetic, romantic identity based around religion).

In Scotland nearly all of the Catholics, regardless of where they are from, support Celtic. What a lot of boring clones.

Am I bigot? Well I'm from Catholic stock myself - just opened my eyes to see that firstly I'm not from Glasgow and secondly I'm Scottish.

Silvio Dante - are you serious aboot the lassie singing that song? phucks sake...

I agree with you, many Old Firm fans are the scum of the earth. All the more reason why the English won't have them and the Scots want to get rid of the them. Maybe they should move to Rockall.

I think you are wrong when you say all the Catholics in Scotland support Celtic. The Hibees still attract a high percentage of Catholics in the east of Scotland because of their origins but they are losing them to Celtic. Probably 90% of the Catholics in Scotland support Celtic. Even the Gaelic speaking Outer Hebrides are divided between the Old Firm with the Catholic islands Barra and South Uist supporting Celtic and the Protestant islands Lewis, Harris and North Uist supporting Rangers. Seems there's nowhere in Scotland people can escape Old Firm bigotry.

You are also right about both clubs being mainly anti-Scottish. I read that Celtic chairman in the 1950's even called for the Scotland national team to be scrapped and replaced by a Great Britain team. Celtic are just as much pro-British as Rangers.

Jam
13/08/2003, 3:53 PM
Hibees are fairly representative and don't divide on sectarian grounds really by much. I wouldn't say they get much of the non-Celtic Catholic support any more than any other club (other than Rangers obviously and maybe to a very small extent Hearts). I'm from Fife and Fife Catholics who dinnae support Celtic support the mighty Dunfermline Athetic of course - who else? ;)

Yeah I know about South Uist and barra etc but they are very strange places - I was there last yr - like being on the moon min!!!

I also don't want them to go to Ingerland - what next a Br*t national team - phucks sake - being part technically of Britain is bad enough due to my treacherous north-Br*t comrades at election time - but that would be awful. Just wish folk in Scotland would support their ain team to create more level playing field than jump on the bandwagon of the gruesome twosome.

makes it worse that our major sporting representatives on the european stage have this outdated sectarian baggage.

:(

petef
14/08/2003, 9:37 AM

Long may it last. If that Irish girl knew that Johnny Mad Dog Adair and his UFF mates used Simlpy the Best as their slogan she shouldn't have sung it....

Kind of sums up your train of thought, disgraceful and extremely naive comment.

Jam
14/08/2003, 11:27 AM
I heard Hitler's favourite song was the Fields of Athenry - better not sing that one then :rolleyes:

petef
14/08/2003, 12:30 PM
Next you'll be telling me Johnny Adair is receiving field instructions from Tina Turner.

tiktok
14/08/2003, 5:02 PM
Do you know anything of the actions of Mad Dog, his mate in Portadown the Late Billy 'King Rat' Wright from the LVF and the rest of the UFF organisation?

.....so because of that an irish girl shouldn't sing a Tina Turner song. that doesn't make any sense Silvio.

dulpit
17/08/2003, 8:35 PM
Originally posted by Jam
I heard Hitler's favourite song was the Fields of Athenry - better not sing that one then :rolleyes:

Hate to be a bully but that song was written in the 70s (a few years after adolf killed himself....) sorry.....
And now on the main topic of this thread:

Who cares who supports who in Scotland. Nothing against the players but the Scottish league is a very poor 1. Besides Celtic & Rangers (who would both struggle) none of the teams would make it in the Premiership in England. I presume the whole thing is about this Celtic being the catholic team and Rangers the protestant one (sorry but i didn't read the whole thing, the title just caught my eye). That is total bull.... The IRA latched onto the whole Celtic thing a few years back without Celtic's endorsment.... Myself, I don' get why they're so popular here. They're not a great team, they have only a few Irish players... If ye want to support a club just because of their Irish connections, don't forget Panakanaithos (??) they were formed by an Irish priest which is why they wear green and have a shamrock (or clover) on their crest.

There, rant over:)

Mayo_Bhoy
18/08/2003, 9:36 AM
don't forget Panakanaithos (??) they were formed by an Irish priest which is why they wear green and have a shamrock (or clover) on their crest.

Wrong, though it's a common misconception. In 1918 Panathinaikos chose the shamrock - or trifylli as it's known in Greece - as their emblem on the suggestion of Mihalis Papazoglou, an athlete from Constantinople who played for Chalkidona, and Chalkidona had the same symbol. The idea was accepted by Panathinaikos's council and confirmed as the team's official badge.

As for the colour of the kit, again there's no overtly Irish connection. Green being the colour of the trifylli no doubt had something to do with it, but the choice of kit seems to be partly a practical one too. Until green became the team's official colour, most players turned up and played in different coloured outfits.

osgood was good
25/08/2003, 11:30 AM
The reason irish league grounds are half empty is because the standard is awful , and it has no appeal to anybody who loves to watch good football.

Ossie

sadloserkid
25/08/2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by osgood was good
The reason irish league grounds are half empty is because the standard is awful

I agree, Northern Irish football is just plain bad! :rolleyes:

Scotsman
25/08/2003, 11:45 AM
Some of you guys spout nonsense - I mean really.

To generalise every Celtic fan and every Rangers fan is a non-starter.

I mean I could easily generalise all Irish (north and south).

My wife was in Dublin when she was single and being chatted up by an Irishman.

He asked her is she was protestant and when she replied yes he waked away.

I was called a Scottish b*s*ard by 2 Irish guys because I wore a Saltire and they were shouting f*ck the Church Of Scotland.

I have also known Scottish Catholics getting a kicking off Belfast guys/protestants for wearing Celtic tops.

The Belfast guys were spouting unionist crap.

Yes there are some Celtic fans and Rangers fans who act daft but that's the same everywhere.

I would not condemn Scotland for this - Scotland does need to rid itself of this but other Countries have their problems as well - most have short memories!!!

And as for Fergus McCann I'm sure he spoke with an Irish accent.

osgood was good
25/08/2003, 1:44 PM
Well done mate , you worked out the Peter Osgood connection .
Kicked his way to an FA Cup medal ? Yeah , he just gave as good as he got from players like Billy Bremmner , John Giles , Norman Hunter etc etc The same players whom also kicked their way to a league title , a European Cup final and managed by a corrupt and disloyal Don Revie who moaned his way to becoming the most hated figure within the game .
As for Osgood , he was a superb center forward just as Alan Clarke , and could drink Stan Bowles , Frank Worthington and Rodney marsh under the table .

Mondo
25/08/2003, 7:17 PM
Originally posted by osgood was good
The reason irish league grounds are half empty is because the standard is awful , and it has no appeal to anybody who loves to watch good football.

Ossie

Sad but true.I would gladly watch EL but it is so boring and the facilities leave a lot to be desired.
Lets face it,if there is a game on Sky/BBC and a EL game on TV, the majority of football fans will watch what is on the UK stations.

tiktok
25/08/2003, 7:59 PM
Originally posted by Mondo
I would gladly watch EL but it is so boring and the facilities leave a lot to be desired.

compared to your barstool or to your couch while you watch the premiership? :D ;)
you find it boring because you have no interest or stake in the outcome and also you probably believe the Sky Hypeafter the 0-0 Monday night football between Spurs and Leicester was a classic.
if more people got off their backsides and supported the league, there would be more money to improve facilities (you only have to look at the better supported sides to see this is true).

Originally posted by Mondo
Lets face it,if there is a game on Sky/BBC and a EL game on TV, the majority of football fans will watch what is on the UK stations.

that's down to production and presentation as much as content, the dim lights in the bar work better with the bells and whistles that sky throw about.

tiktok
26/08/2003, 5:55 PM
How do you know so much about Sky's presentation? Is there something you want to share with us ....:D

you're right Silvio, I'm a closet Andy Gray fan :D :D

as i've said many times, i watch football from all over, i love the game. be it the EL, Premiership, la Liga or Copa America i'm liable to have a look, and if i like what i see i'll keep watching.

what i dislike is when people put down the EL without trying to understand anything about it, because the other leagues come in brighter wrapping paper on the tv.

Mondo
26/08/2003, 6:00 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Mondo, Osgood was good, two "new" posters with so much to say about the eL. Hmmmmm. Just popped out of the woodwork at the same time. How easy, Silvio, is it to register with different names?

:confused:

huh,whats this all about,then? This Silvio and Osgood chaps have nothing to do with me.....who are they anyway???
And as for Silvio:what is it with everyone on about him all the time? I thought this was a football forum not a Silvio forum?:confused: :(

Paddy Ramone
28/08/2003, 3:35 PM
Silvio, do you realise how little interest I have in Adair's musical influences? I don't mind talking at length about politics and NI, but Tina Bloody Turner? Only Yanks in Noraid and Plastic Paddys could care about that rubbish and think it "research".

Another interesting fact about Johnny Adair is that he is a fanatic Liverpool fan as well as a Rangers fan. Liverpool FC have more Orangemen as supporters than any side in England. The Reds were formed by an Orangeman John Houlding and their first manager was a Belfast Orangeman John McKenna. Even the Rangers player Sam English who accidentally killed Celtic keeper John Thomson in 1931 played for Liverpool.

Liverpool's supposed strong Irish Catholic connections only really date back to the 1979 when Ronnie Whelan signed for them. Whelan was the first Irish Catholic to play for Liverpool since Billy Lacey in the 1920's. Steve Heighway, a Protestant (probably, he was educated in a non-Catholic school) was the first Republic of Ireland international at Liverpool in 1970.

What does Celt Silvio think about Liverpool's strong Loyalist connections. Should all Irish people cease to support them as well as not sing "Simply the Best". Also Liverpool's supposed affinity with Celtic only dates back to the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 when Celtic donated all the proceeds of a gate of theirs to the berieved families.

yur man
28/08/2003, 5:19 PM
i heard adair is fond of breathin too, maybe silvio could stop that aswell :rolleyes:

Scotsman
29/08/2003, 7:42 AM
I have to say I didn't know about that although it has bearing on me as a person.

Bigotry has no place in society and no place in football but unfortunatley it will always remain I fear.

What do you guys think of Celtic's chances in the CL?

Lionel Hutz
01/09/2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Paddy Ramone
As I said before Hibs are the best Scottish side for the Irish to support. They were the first ever side to be founded by Irish people in 1875 and wore the green even before Ireland did. Also they have roughly 50/50 Catholic-Protestant support and are non-sectarian with less of the old firm bigotry. I think Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland fans should wear Hibs tops instead of old firm tops. I'd also like to add that the greatest Irish player ever, a certain George Best (a Protestant) wore the green of the Hibees.

Think this is an area needing clarification!

Hibs have actively tried to play down the Irish link and Im not just talking since 1969 when the troubles erupted in the six counties.
It was felt many years before that that the Irish population on the east coast of Scotland was to small to sustain a large club so the board actively moved away from the Irish links to try and encourage a broader support!
BTW this was not done out of any great ideals or principles but simply on a financial basis to get more people through the turnstiles

Paddy Ramone
01/09/2003, 11:50 AM
Hey, what about Kenny Dalglish? If I remember right, wasn't a friendly between Lpool and Selltic a tangent to the deal?

Know a Liverpudlian who despises Lpool FC because of the 12th July marches in that city which were full of Lpool FC fans.

Everton's foundations had some connection with a Catholic school.

Of course, none of it is relevant to football today, and I couldn't really care if they were Johnny Adair's subbuteo team, but it does amaze me how few people in Ireland know Liverpool's orange connection.

That's not true about Everton being founded by a Catholic school. They were founded by the schoolteachers of St Domingos Methodist school. But traditionally the Catholic population of Merseyside tend to support Everton.

Liverpool's Orange connections are obvious from the amount of Northern Ireland flags you see at Anfield in the kop on match days.

Paddy Ramone
01/09/2003, 1:14 PM
Originally posted by Lionel Hutz
Think this is an area needing clarification!

Hibs have actively tried to play down the Irish link and Im not just talking since 1969 when the troubles erupted in the six counties.
It was felt many years before that that the Irish population on the east coast of Scotland was to small to sustain a large club so the board actively moved away from the Irish links to try and encourage a broader support!
BTW this was not done out of any great ideals or principles but simply on a financial basis to get more people through the turnstiles

True enough but the Catholic link was never completely lost, because the current owner of Hibs Tom Farmer is a Catholic of Irish descent and decended from one of the founders Philip Farmer.

Also Hibs 1970's star Pat Stanton was descended from County Roscommonman and Hibs first captain Michael Whelahan.

Paddy Ramone
01/09/2003, 1:19 PM
I couldn't give a toss about Scouseville. Long live Gerard Houllier i say....:D

Of course you should know that "You'll Never Walk Alone" is a Loyalist anthem being originally sung by the Liverpool supporters who are mainly Orangemen.

This song was then stolen by Celtic fans who claim it as their own.
Maybe Irish Republicans should boycott Celtic for singing Loyalist songs.

Scotsman
01/09/2003, 6:27 PM
Yep the Celtic Harp is still evident on the Hibs badge.

Although the links are not as evident as with Celtic there are still some.

We Celtic fans prefer Hibs to Hearts for obvious reasons.

I'll tell you a wee story.

I was in a pub in Edinburgh and I went for a slash.

I was in the toilet and this Hibee and Jambo started to debate who was the best.

They asked me who I supported and I replied Celtic.

Straight away the Jambo piped up "You must be a Catholic then" and stormed off while the Hibs fan was absolutely fantastic.

Edinburgh folk eh!!

Lionel Hutz
01/09/2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Scotsman
Yep the Celtic Harp is still evident on the Hibs badge.

Nope the harp has only recently been reintroduced on the orders of the fans!
The Hibs had been sporting a "Roy of the rovers" style logo for many years!:rolleyes:
As another means of disassociating itself from its Irish origins!

Btw Im not anti Hibs and like to see them do well and indeed am glad Bobby Williams seems to be finally turning the corner with the club but I just dont, na, cant feel any emotional attachment to them!

Scotsman
02/09/2003, 9:29 AM
Was my point not proven there about the Harp.

So the Harp is there.

I feel nothing for them either.

Paddy Ramone
03/09/2003, 10:22 AM
Really? There I thought it came from the Musical South Pacific which was rejuvenated by the Scousers(Gerry whats his name?) and in turn taken up by the Bhoys.

Funny how Loyalists would take a well known Celtic anthem and make it their own. Would you have a link or two to back your interesting theory up....?

Can't wait for this....:D
At least you have the dencency to admit that Celtic stole it from the scousers.

There was a Loyalist website called Ulsterpool with a version of Liverpool badge with Northern Ireland flag incorporated and the Liverpool motto "You'll Never Walk Alone" underneath. It's no longer active though.

The title "You''ll Never Walk Alone" has obvious connotations as regards the marching season. I bet there were a few Liverpool orangemen who gave a rousing renditon of "You'll Never Walk Alone" when they saw Trimble and Paisley walk the Garvaghy Road hand in hand.

Also about "Simply the Best" being a Loyalist anthem. This is only because it was a hit in 1989 the year that Rangers begun their nine-in-a-row and played in the victory celebrations in every year after that. If Celtic had dominated Scottish football during that era it could have just as well been their anthem.

Paddy Ramone
03/09/2003, 10:22 AM
Really? There I thought it came from the Musical South Pacific which was rejuvenated by the Scousers(Gerry whats his name?) and in turn taken up by the Bhoys.

Funny how Loyalists would take a well known Celtic anthem and make it their own. Would you have a link or two to back your interesting theory up....?

Can't wait for this....:D
At least you have the dencency to admit that Celtic stole it from the scousers.

There was a Loyalist website called Ulsterpool with a version of Liverpool badge with Northern Ireland flag incorporated and the Liverpool motto "You'll Never Walk Alone" underneath. It's no longer active though.

The title "You''ll Never Walk Alone" has obvious connotations as regards the marching season. I bet there were a few Liverpool orangemen who gave a rousing renditon of "You'll Never Walk Alone" when they saw Trimble and Paisley walk the Garvaghy Road hand in hand.

Also about "Simply the Best" being a Loyalist anthem. This is only because it was a hit in 1989 the year that Rangers begun their nine-in-a-row and played in the victory celebrations in every year after that. If Celtic had dominated Scottish football during that era it could have just as well been their anthem.

Paddy Ramone
03/09/2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Lionel Hutz
Nope the harp has only recently been reintroduced on the orders of the fans!
The Hibs had been sporting a "Roy of the rovers" style logo for many years!:rolleyes:
As another means of disassociating itself from its Irish origins!

A club called Hibernian which means 'Irish' is hardly disassociated from its Irish origins.

Also the "Roy of the Rovers" badge as you called it, was in the traditional Irish colours of green, gold and silver ( the modern colours are green, white and orange ). The old flag of Ireland was a green flag with a golden harp with silver strings.

Jam
03/09/2003, 11:00 AM
Hibs aren't really associated with Irishness at all. Very few tricolores at easter road - only to wind up huns and jambos. Celtic are much more associated with it but it's a kind of ridiculous Irishness IMO practices by those with tenuous links to Ireland (plastic paddies central IMO).

Liverpool also sing the fields of Athenry now so I'd day their links are all but gone.

I have to say I'm genuinely surprised at the support some have here for essentially foreign teams just cos of a link to Ireland be it the flag or religion or whatever. If some English team flew the Saltire I widnae gie a phuck. In fact it might even annoy me a bit - wave yer ain flag kind of thing.

If you want to find Irish clubs I suggest you look no further than Ireland. They might not be that great but they are your clubs. I support Dunfermline Athletic - they are crap too - disnae make me support Celtic or Rangers though.

Paddy Ramone
03/09/2003, 11:25 AM
In other words you haven't a clue what you're on about and your talking out your ring. Though so....;)

I know more than you anyway. You're the ejit who thinks Fergus McCann speaks with an Irish accent.

For your information, while McCann was born and raised in Croy in Scotland and then moved to Canada where he made his millions. That makes his accent Scots-Canadian not Irish.