PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Scotsman
06/06/2003, 12:20 PM
You're quite right they do sing that - Good for them - Rivalry.

Most Hibees like us over the Gers.

I think we will be seeing a transformation in the Spl shortly - For the better I have to add.

elroy
10/06/2003, 10:27 AM
Hey scotsman, agree with alot your saying about celtic, but quite a few people over here support celtic cos of the whole sectarian bull**** crap. But other than that celtic are great and the cup run especially this year was great.
Hopefully next season one of the irish teams will put together a decent run in european-that would really make people sit up and take notice of our league here.
But congrats to the scots on a good result against germany, considering in fairness that the scottish teamisnt the strongest at the moment.
Hopefully we'll both be at portugal next year and then there'll will be some party!!!!

tiktok
10/06/2003, 2:09 PM
it'd be unprecedented but
Scotland, Wales and ourselves could all qualify
(i won't count england because they rarely miss out).

and Hartson is likely to be the only Celtic player in those teams.

sadloserkid
10/06/2003, 2:12 PM
Rab Douglas? Even Jackie McNamara at a push.

tiktok
10/06/2003, 2:37 PM
:o

yeah, forgot about douglas.
mcnamara though? he'd be doing well to get on the city team;)

patsh
10/06/2003, 6:09 PM
Paul Lambert ?
He will surely stay on if they get to the finals.

Scotsman
12/06/2003, 12:07 PM
Would it not be wonderful if Scotland/Ireland and Wales got to the World Cup and Engurland never.

Not likely to happen though!!

I think Scotland could still struggle - Certainly it was a great result against the Germans and I would like to see us maintain the performance.

Say Scotland did get 2nd spot - We could then get a great team in the play-offs and still not make it.

Still lies in the balance.

Read Caniggia's comments about Rangers??

Superb!!

patsh
12/06/2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Scotsman
Read Caniggia's comments about Rangers??

Superb!!
What did he say?

Scouse
12/06/2003, 12:18 PM
Hello all,

Just joined this site so have been reading up on this thread.
I have to agree with DJ, the main problem is not supporting Celtic but that its is expected in Ireland. I cant even tell the amount of stupid comments i have heard by Irish Celtic fans - my favorite being that Scotland was not in Britain (this was then changed to "Well they want to be in Ireland!)

It also doesnt help that i am East Irish (now there is a twist on the usual....).

Scotsman
12/06/2003, 12:56 PM
He basically said that Rangers won because Celtic were tired from the UEFA run and that McLeish was not a great manager.

Please see site www.skysports.com

:ball:

Gary
12/06/2003, 8:44 PM
HHHmmmmm Bitter grapes, i dont think so at all!

Anyways, was "delighted" to see that "awful" Arveladze booed last night at Lansdowne. Even George "I Love Cetic FC more than Ireland" described it as Pathetic. Will those muppets ever learn?

You see sdcotsman, you seem like a level headed feen, but you are defendding the indefensible when cwap like that happens.

Scotsman
13/06/2003, 7:25 AM
Yep it was sour grapes - Funny all the same.

I always felt Caniggia needed a good wash - He always looked bogging!!

With reference to booing - Scotland has it's morons also.

I remember years ago some Celtic supporters being booed.

It was a section of Rangers fans.

Thankfully all that's stopped - Probarly because alot of daft Rangers fans support England.

So you see there are morons in every country - These morons make think that we are the morons.

Each to their own as they.

Celtic are trying to get a playmeker - Thank goodness as we badly need one!!

What was the Ireland score incidentally??:ball:

sadloserkid
13/06/2003, 8:18 AM
What was the Ireland score incidentally??:ball:

2-0 to our good selves.

Scotsman
13/06/2003, 10:28 AM
Excellent - How are Ireland sitting in the table now??

Scotsman
13/06/2003, 12:02 PM
I heard a wee rumour that Van Brockhurst (Ex Rangers player) was getting a medical today at Paradise.

I had heard weeks ago they were interested in him - That would be a good signing as he's a good player.

That'd be great getting right up the Rangers.

Don't think he'll sign though as per his allegiance to Rangers.

sadloserkid
13/06/2003, 1:05 PM
Excellent - How are Ireland sitting in the table now??

Have a look for yourself here (http://www.foot.ie/t8088.htm)

:)

Scotsman
13/06/2003, 1:19 PM
Well Done - I think you'll be safe now eh.

Here's hoping Scotland can make it - I love the World Cup.

sadloserkid
13/06/2003, 1:21 PM
I love the World Cup.

Me too... but these are qualifiers for the European Championship! :D

Scotsman
13/06/2003, 1:37 PM
God so it is - I'm a rocket sometimes - Honestly.

My heads wasted .

I'll try that again - I love things like the World Cup and European tournaments.

The problem is I'm at work and getting distracted - Hence making mistakes.

Anyway hope ALL the Celts make it - Northern Ireland are poor at the moment aren't they!

Andyh
13/06/2003, 7:34 PM
Excellent thread lads, took me about a day and a half to read it. I'm from the black north and have to say that i hate both rangers and celtic.

Think it's ironic that the scottish celtic supporters want to be Irish, when in fact they are more British than the Irish Rangers supporters, who want to be british. if that makes sense??

And scotsman do you follow football outside septic at all?? World cup qualifiers?? Oh and Northern Ireland played a blinder the other night, spurred on by the best player on the pitch Damien Johnson, genius, and by Andy Smith a part timer at Glentoran.

Also I think if you add the achievements of Irland North and South together, i'd say it'd be better than anything Scotland ever achieved on the international stage.

On and the subject of Glentoran, their MASSIVE rivalry with Linfield (scum) something which for once isn't about religion or politics.

Scotsman
14/06/2003, 8:24 AM
Someone's took that personal eh!!

Scotland Internationally have dissapointed in the main events - Yep no-one can deny that.

Never due to lack of talent in the past.

What I was merely saying was that Northern Ireland have fell away quite badly just like Scotland.

Please don't tar all Celtic fans with the same brush.

I'm a Celtic fan - I'm Scottish - Support Scotland - Don't pretend to be Irish - Proud to be Scottish and there a lots like me who are Celtic fans.

There is an element of what you say - That's their perogative.

If we are referring to shaping football then Scotland have played a major part in this and this in itself is an achievement.

Scotland has the oldest football team in the world.

The Scots set-up the FA.

We created the current passing game.

A Scotsman started football in Brazil.

Just a pity we can't play the game!!!

thecorner
21/06/2003, 1:38 PM
ive noticed o lot of people on this board are anti-celtic. id luv to know why
firstly,celtic never asked the irish to support them
secondly, what business is it of yers if a person decides to support another club besides their el club
if that was the way, y arent ye anti man utd,liverpool,arsenal etc.....
i bet most of these "anti-celtic" fans had a good nite out for the uefa cup final
i remember almost half of the cornerboys gathered in the friars walk and we certainly had a good nite

Neil
21/06/2003, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
y arent ye anti man utd,liverpool,arsenal etc.....
I'm anti-the whole ****in lot of them British clubs...

thecorner
21/06/2003, 1:45 PM
everyone is entitled to their own opinion

Eric
21/06/2003, 5:22 PM
To be honest I don't think that everyone really is anti-celtic. I think the problem is that a lot of people in Ireland support Celtic just because of the whole Catholic and supposedly Irish connection the club has. They don't support them because they like the football they play.

The majority of these people probably have never even made the effort to go to Glasgow for games yet they feel it perfectly acceptable to boo rangers players at Lansdowne Rd just so they can 'do their bit' for Celtic. But the main problem I have with a lot of Celtic supporters, and I'm sure it's the same for a lot of people, is that they look down their noses at us for supporting eL clubs and prob have never even been to games here either.

They sit in pubs watching games all year and claim to be experts, yet when I arrange time of work to go watch City play fellas at work think I'm mad!!! Now I'm sure there are genuine Celtic fans out there............but in a small minority I reckon!!!!!

thecorner
22/06/2003, 12:52 AM
well i support celtic and i dont supprt the premiership but city will always come first

tiktok
22/06/2003, 1:20 AM
there was a good observation posted by the dj on a similar topic. i think a lot of people assume an anti celtic stance because the assumption is that because we are irish we must support celtic. it isn't celtic themselves who apply this pressure but irish celtic fans. it's a natural instinct to want to rebel against such pressure regardless of whether you (in this case) even have a like or dislike for the club.

the only time i've ever been 'anti-celtic' (it didn't effect me for long)was about two/three seasons back for a home game at 12 on sunday against bray when the attendance was terrible because it clashed with an old firm game. i couldn't understand how a city fan could pass up a live game to watch the sanitised televised version.

personally, i love to watch football and keep an eye on lots of teams in lots of leagues but first and foremost i'm a city fan.

thecorner
22/06/2003, 1:31 AM
like myself tiktok, watched utd coz of the cork biys, kepy check on wycombe coz of paulie mac, also watched out for preston(barry-murphy), wrexham(carey), reading(gamble),leicester(delany)

so y shouldnt we watch out for healy and miller

tiktok
23/06/2003, 12:37 AM
i don't think it's neccessarily people like ourselves that give cause for the anti-celtic sentiment thecorner,

it's the lads who'll spend money going to glasgow (or manchester or liverpool) maybe once a month, but have never been inside a league of ireland ground and who never will because "the league is rubbish" (in their opinion).

on top of this, it is irish celtic fans who receive the worst negative opinion is because many of them imply that you are more irish if you support celtic than if you support an LOI side.

ian
23/06/2003, 4:18 PM
Lads i follow chelsea over the pond and i go to games alot but I follow city all the time I arange my games around cork city all the time. As for the celtic thing that you are on about I look out for there result on the day but my first game i will all ways look out for is city if I cant get to away games.
I am all ways out in the cross when there is a game on may it be under 17 up to the first team.

tiktok
23/06/2003, 5:37 PM
wasn't having a go eian.

i've no problem with anybody supporting (as you do) chelsea and spending their moneyto go see them or with someone keeping an eye on celtic results,

if you were to have come on though and answered the post with, "i go and watch chelsea because it's a real standard of football, i'd never go to turners cross and waste my ten euro etc..." different story.

i'm just trying (maybe not clearly) to get across that for me it's not those that support foreign teams in itself. Rather those that will rave about the premiership at work on monday, and when you bring up the game at the cross on friday will look at you like you're insane asking 'why would you bother going to watch that sh!t'. that's what drives me mad.

ian
23/06/2003, 6:58 PM
I agree with you on what you are saying and i was just saying that i support cork city before any one eals

ian
24/06/2003, 7:22 AM
I agree with all that you said and I was just saying that I support cork city before any other club around the world I agree with you 100% with what you said tiktok.

Xlex
24/06/2003, 2:35 PM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante
Over the main stand the Irish tricolour is flown.

wrong... they end this practice last season... Sure why don't you invite them to play in the eL...

shame on thecorner for bringing up this topic again...

troll...

Macy
24/06/2003, 3:30 PM
Scottish Premier League: British

thecorner
24/06/2003, 6:12 PM
Originally posted by Xlex

shame on thecorner for bringing up this topic again...

troll...

had to be done my dear boy

Forest Lad
26/06/2003, 8:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Silvio Dante

Manager: Martin O'Neill (Irish)

Northern Irish born=British

Neil
26/06/2003, 9:00 PM
Originally posted by Forest Lad

Uh oh!

Don't go down that road feen...

gspain
27/06/2003, 8:24 AM
Any truth in the rumour that Silvio is a recruiting agent for the Dublin Rangers Supporters Club.:D :D

pete
27/06/2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Forest Lad

I think British only refers to the island of England, Scotland & Wales so you'll often here the phrase of Britain & Northern Ireland.

I think NI would be included as part of the United Kingdom.

gspain
27/06/2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by pete
I think British only refers to the island of England, Scotland & Wales so you'll often here the phrase of Britain & Northern Ireland.

I think NI would be included as part of the United Kingdom.

Correct from a geographical persoective however people of the UK have British nationality and a majority of the Northern Ireland population consider themselves to be British while a minority consider themselves to be Irish.

On second thoughts this thread is rapidly heading down a rathole. :D

max power
27/06/2003, 10:41 AM
right i have ranted on this on many threads but it boils down to this, no matter how many people wear celtic jerseys or go to see them or who owns the club or who manages to the club, there is one fact, did you all get that ITS A FACT CELTIC ARE NOT IRISH, Longford Town haven't played them in the premier division or the cup or the league cup . they are not registered with the fai, htey do not play here and are not registered with the companies office as an irish company, therefore put all that together and guess what, FACT : CELTIC ARE NOT IRISH !!!!!!! they are as irish as american tourists, try as they may , they are not the real thing !!!!!!!!!!

joe
27/06/2003, 11:06 AM
What's wrong with that...?

nothing at all, but this is a forum for talking abour Irish soccer. surely there's somewhere else you can go to discuss your team???

joe
27/06/2003, 11:14 AM
But there's such an anti-Celtic vibe coming from some here that we Irish/Celtic fans are balancing the debate....

the debate only ever starts when ye Irish/Celtic fans start it!

joe
27/06/2003, 11:23 AM
You may have a point there. But I do think there are a few who love jumping on the 'I Hate Celtic' bandwagon also....

and a couple of internet handles saying 'I hate Celtic' irks you that much?

max power
27/06/2003, 11:28 AM
But you can't deny the fact that many thousands of irish people support them, and generations before them, through thick and thin and they show their pride in their club while supporting the Boys in Green. What's wrong with that...?

whats wrong with thats, where do i start, they believe celtic are irish, they say i should support celtic because i'm irish, they were celtic jerseys to international matchs and they boo another player because he had or does play for rangers.

they are brainless muppets and i think i've only ever met two or three celtic supporters who didn't bring religion or other crap into the reason they support celtic.

CELTIC ARE NOT IRISH AND WOULD THE CELTIC SUPPORTERS STOP WEARING A FORIEGN JERSEY TO IRISH INTERNATIONAL GAMES.

Forest Lad
27/06/2003, 11:46 AM
But there's such an anti-Celtic vibe coming from some here

Which is exactly what you caused on the Forest Forum Pete ,remember the EUFA Cup Final and even the Irish wanted Porto to win because of the Celtic, this Celtic that etc you posted.

max power
27/06/2003, 11:56 AM
Conor for once your use of words is one i agree with

max power
27/06/2003, 12:32 PM
celtic are a very confused club, they are a scotish club , who think they are irish and want to play in england, i think they have a few problems.

max power
27/06/2003, 1:00 PM
silvio i've read a lot of your posts on this site and all your looking for as an argument about celtic, try something new, support an irish team, you'd be sooooooooo lucky to support an irish team. and leave your muppet jersey and your booing at home if you go to the next international.