PDA

View Full Version : Attendances 2023

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

joey B
07/02/2023, 7:43 PM
Might as well start a thread for the new season!

Less than 600 tickets left for Pats/Derry next Friday night….

dundalkfc10
07/02/2023, 10:12 PM
Might as well start a thread for the new season!

Less than 600 tickets left for Pats/Derry next Friday night….

What's the capacity?

nigel-harps1954
07/02/2023, 10:32 PM
What's the capacity?

Jack B
07/02/2023, 11:30 PM
I feel like we just chance selling as many tickets as possible for the Camac sometimes, feels like the sell outs always have varying numbers.

One of them last season was something like 5,106 so I'm guessing around that range anyway depending on the number of away fans.

EatYerGreens
08/02/2023, 1:03 AM
I feel like we just chance selling as many tickets as possible for the Camac sometimes, feels like the sell outs always have varying numbers.

One of them last season was something like 5,106 so I'm guessing around that range anyway depending on the number of away fans.

It still baffles me how a small, compact stadium like Richmond Park with only 2 (?) points of entry for spectators can fit over 5,000 in - whilst places like the Brandywell and Oriel manage way fewer.

dundalkfc10
08/02/2023, 11:00 AM
It still baffles me how a small, compact stadium like Richmond Park with only 2 (?) points of entry for spectators can fit over 5,000 in - whilst places like the Brandywell and Oriel manage way fewer.

Oriel has 3300 seats, that's capacity for European games
Easily get over 5k in without even needing a temporary stand like we had in 2014 for ea cup final and Cork league game

Knocklyonhoop
10/02/2023, 9:26 PM
Oriel has 3300 seats, that's capacity for European games
Easily get over 5k in without even needing a temporary stand like we had in 2014 for ea cup final and Cork league game

no issue tho as will average 2.5k or so. Mad you haven’t had the bounce seen elsewhere in the league

oriel
11/02/2023, 8:03 PM
Dundalk were only getting 3k to 3.5k under Kenny peak era on avg, of course some games were 4k + and the very odd 5k, (last game v Cork City was over 5k in 2014 to win the league) but sometimes during that period crowds dipped well below 3k. Modest size town, a lot of other sports, same as most I suppose.

Last season getting close to 3k avg was a near miracle in my view, never mind 'the bounce seen elsewhere' given the car crash of p6 in 2020 and 2021, it meant fans stuck with them.

However what is clear is this, even if we get close to 3k avg, we will be well down the pecking order in biggest crowds, just the way it goes, our crowds have maintained, and have been almost same for a near decade, a lot of other clubs have moved from quite small averages and in some cases well under 2k to very impressive figures now of over 4k.

Overall the league is showing massive increase, almost all showing huge increases and super to see, ours have mainly stagnated. The poor facility on offer has to be a reason, nothing to attract the floating fan on a wet night, yet still a good base there.

Another thing to note, LOI has overtaken the Irish League by a massive leap, overall we must be pulling in 1500 more per avg v NI league?

outspoken
11/02/2023, 8:22 PM
Dundalk were only getting 3k to 3.5k under Kenny peak era on avg, of course some games were 4k + and the very odd 5k, (last game v Cork City was over 5k in 2014 to win the league) but sometimes during that period crowds dipped well below 3k. Modest size town, a lot of other sports, same as most I suppose.

Last season getting close to 3k avg was a near miracle in my view, never mind 'the bounce seen elsewhere' given the car crash of p6 in 2020 and 2021, it meant fans stuck with them.

However what is clear is this, even if we get close to 3k avg, we will be well down the pecking order in biggest crowds, just the way it goes, our crowds have maintained, and have been almost same for a near decade, a lot of other clubs have moved from quite small averages and in some cases well under 2k to very impressive figures now of over 4k.

Overall the league is showing massive increase, almost all showing huge increases and super to see, ours have mainly stagnated. The poor facility on offer has to be a reason, nothing to attract the floating fan on a wet night, yet still a good base there.

Another thing to note, LOI has overtaken the Irish League by a massive leap, overall we must be pulling in 1500 more per avg v NI league?

Tired old argument but Dundalk's attendances will never push on in Oriel, a wet night and you have to be really dedicated to go out there.

oriel
11/02/2023, 8:53 PM
100%, if I was a floating fan, or a parent with a kid really into it, a wet night, I can see full well why most in that case would probably not go.

Thankfully for the club in my case and not so (at times) for my 10 yo, they don't have that worry, amazing what the promise of a hotdog on the way home can do to make the call, will I or will I not go !

Dermobohs
11/02/2023, 9:17 PM
An average of close to 3k in Dundalk, with the facilities on offer is massively impressive.before the total domination of shams, despite the good groundwork of the club and the best facility in the country you’d be lucky outside of a derby with bohs/pats to see 2k on any given friday. Now with a bit of success it’s 4k and you’d like to think at least a third will stick around when the inevitable Bohemian domination comes around in the next two seasons .

EatYerGreens
11/02/2023, 11:33 PM

The LOI overtook the IL on average attendances quite some time ago. They've seen an uplift in crowds as well, but not as big as our's in either percentage or real terms - so the gap continues to grow.

The IL's best-supported club (Linfield) is currently averaging 2,850 at games, despite their excellent stadium and years of success/dominance. That would place them 7th in terms of average crowds island-wide, and wouldn't even make them NI's best-supported team :eek:

Candystripe
12/02/2023, 8:36 AM
Don't know if the President's cup game counts here. Shamrock were allocated 670 tickets but sold less than a hundred over a week ago. Derry city sold out their home tickets in 9 minutes but as rovers returned most of theirs paper tickets were sold locally in the normal outlets. Shamrock rovers then got an extra 20 tickets which were not sold.

So with the additional terrace tickets now for the Brandywell, the est attendance for the game is 3,800.

oriel
12/02/2023, 3:53 PM
The LOI overtook the IL on average attendances quite some time ago. They've seen an uplift in crowds as well, but not as big as our's in either percentage or real terms - so the gap continues to grow.

The IL's best-supported club (Linfield) is currently averaging 2,850 at games, despite their excellent stadium and years of success/dominance. That would place them 7th in terms of average crowds island-wide, and wouldn't even make them NI's best-supported team :eek:

Funny you mention that, as it was 2 questions on a zoom quiz I hosted during lockdown, biggest supported football club in NI ? (Derry City), biggest sport in NI with all factors added, support, commerical, participation etc, (GAA football)

EatYerGreens
12/02/2023, 11:36 PM

Apparently Glentoran are drawing bigger average crowds than Linfield at the moment. Which would make the Glens the 6th-best supported team on the island, with Linfield 8th-best., Which for a club of their history, success and facilities is pretty appalling really.

nigel-harps1954
12/02/2023, 11:47 PM
Coleraine are only just behind Linfield in the averages this year too.

Latest from IL Premier:

Glentoran: 3,099
Linfield: 2,852
Coleraine: 2,687
Cliftonville: 1,818
Larne: 1,774
Crusaders: 1,640
Ballymena: 1,327
Portadown: 1,025
Glenavon: 934
Newry: 845
Dungannon: 663
Carrick: 663

EatYerGreens
13/02/2023, 1:10 AM
Important to note that the LONGEST away trip in the Irish League (between Coleraine and Newry) is 95 miles and 1hr 40mins by car. With all but 3 of the 12 top tier clubs located within 30miles of each other. It's basically a glorified Belfast & District League.

forza rovers
13/02/2023, 7:31 AM
Important to note that the LONGEST away trip in the Irish League (between Coleraine and Newry) is 95 miles and 1hr 40mins by car. With all but 3 of the 12 top tier clubs located within 30miles of each other. It's basically a glorified Belfast & District League. whats ours so?

placid casual
13/02/2023, 8:15 AM
when the inevitable Bohemian domination comes around in the next two seasons .
???.
I usually wake up Monday morning with a grumpy attitude, but you've given me a great laugh there dermo. Good man!

oriel
13/02/2023, 9:12 AM

Latest from IL Premier:

I've been to a few Newry games, that figure seems very high to me, unless they got a run of big away supporters visiting, very little interest locally on most I speak to there.

Good point by EYG on the travel distance, longest one in NI being 95 miles. That's only 9 miles less than Derry's second 'shortest' trip to Sligo !!

nigel-harps1954
13/02/2023, 9:26 AM
I've been to a few Newry games, that figure seems very high to me, unless they got a run of big away supporters visiting, very little interest locally on most I speak to there.

Good point by EYG on the travel distance, longest one in NI being 95 miles. That's only 9 miles less than Derry's second 'shortest' trip to Sligo !!

It's almost exactly 100 miles between Finn Park and Bishopsgate in Longford, Harps closest trip this season coming.

Poor Student
13/02/2023, 10:10 AM

Latest from IL Premier:

What's driving Glentoran to have higher attendances than Linfield?

pineapple stu
13/02/2023, 10:21 AM
They hosted the St Stephen's Day game against Linfield this year - that could skew it?

EatYerGreens
13/02/2023, 11:56 AM
whats ours so?

Well it's got Cork, Derry, Sligo, Dundalk and Drogheda, so all four provinces are involved. Choose your preferred nomenclature for it, but a Dublin District League it clearly isn't.

EalingGreen
13/02/2023, 12:47 PM
Apparently Glentoran are drawing bigger average crowds than Linfield at the moment. Which would make the Glens the 6th-best supported team on the island, with Linfield 8th-best., Which for a club of their history, success and facilities is pretty appalling really.Re Linfield, although they're up to 3rd in the Prem now, they had a poor first 3 or 4 months of the season in the league and also had a lot of Cup games, including Europe and the Scottish Challenge Cup.

So my guess is it's a combination of their fans picking and choosing their games, plus typical bloody entitlement. We'll know more if they keep winning games and the crowds increase accordingly.

EatYerGreens
13/02/2023, 12:53 PM
Re Linfield, although they're up to 3rd in the Prem now, they had a poor first 3 or 4 months of the season in the league and also had a lot of Cup games, including Europe and the Scottish Challenge Cup.

So my guess is it's a combination of their fans picking and choosing their games, plus typical bloody entitlement. We'll know more if they keep winning games and the crowds increase accordingly.

Linfield's average attendance last season was 2,914 though, versus 2,852 so far this year. So not a huge difference. And they won the league last year, so you'd have expected a poor run of results this year etc etc to have seen crowds fall a bit more really.

How big were the crowds at their European matches ?

EalingGreen
13/02/2023, 1:07 PM
I've been to a few Newry games, that figure [845] seems very high to me, unless they got a run of big away supporters visiting, very little interest locally on most I speak to there.
Boosted by their opening game of the season, at home to Linfield on a Sunday, where they won 1-0 before a crowd of 2,029. (Linfield don't take a huge away support btw - Glens and Coleraine bigger this season).

More generally, I'd guess Newry may have benefited from a "promotion bounce" during the milder early season weather, while results haven't been too bad for a newly promoted team? However on the basis that they'll be in the bottom half after the Split, they'll do well to maintain reasonable crowds through to the end of the season.

All that said, imo crowds haven't been that bad overall, considering what the club has been through in recent years - something to build on?

EalingGreen
13/02/2023, 1:32 PM
Linfield's average attendance last season was 2,914 though, versus 2,852 so far this year. So not a huge difference. And they won the league last year, so you'd have expected a poor run of results this year etc etc to have seen crowds fall a bit more really.
Maybe, but this season overall IL crowds are up by 9.9% from last season. While the other top teams have seen the following figures: Cliftonville +8.1%, Coleraine +22.2%, Crues +6.8%, Glens 22.9% and Larne -4.0%, so even a 2.2% drop for LFC is pretty poor (imo).

Either way, you should expect them to draw more than Glentoran and Coleraine (esp), whatever the circumstances. Maybe they'll recover as the season progresses?

How big were the crowds at their European matches ?
Dunno.

EatYerGreens
13/02/2023, 1:45 PM
Boosted by their opening game of the season, at home to Linfield on a Sunday, where they won 1-0 before a crowd of 2,029. (Linfield don't take a huge away support btw - Glens and Coleraine bigger this season).

Linfield won that game 3-1, and had a decent travelling support (was at the match myself). From memory I'd say they had 500 or so there, across two sides of the ground ?

EatYerGreens
13/02/2023, 1:47 PM
Maybe, but this season overall IL crowds are up by 9.9% from last season. While the other top teams have seen the following figures: Cliftonville +8.1%, Coleraine +22.2%, Crues +6.8%, Glens 22.9% and Larne -4.0%, so even a 2.2% drop for LFC is pretty poor (imo).

Either way, you should expect them to draw more than Glentoran and Coleraine (esp), whatever the circumstances. Maybe they'll recover as the season progresses?

Either way you'd expect the most successful team on the island playing in the second-largest city on the island in the best club stadium on the island with essentially limitless capacity to do a lot better than the kind of crowds Linfield have been getting - either this year or last. They literally have everything gong for them, and now even have Kyle Lafferty to act as a further draw.

EalingGreen
13/02/2023, 2:54 PM
Linfield won that game 3-1
You're quite right - dunno where I got 1-0 from :confused:

... and had a decent travelling support (was at the match myself). From memory I'd say they had 500 or so there, across two sides of the ground ?Is 500 really that "decent"? Glens and Coleraine have both been taking more away than that to games.

EalingGreen
13/02/2023, 3:00 PM
Either way you'd expect the most successful team on the island playing in the second-largest city on the island in the best club stadium on the island with essentially limitless capacity to do a lot better than the kind of crowds Linfield have been getting - either this year or last. They literally have everything gong for them, and now even have Kyle Lafferty to act as a further draw.
I thought that that was what I was saying - i.e. that their crowds this season have been poor.

Btw, some of their fans "blame" the IFA/Windsor for poor crowds - something about 3k rattling around in an 18k stadium making it hard to create an atmosphere etc.

Not quite so quick to blame the IFA for all the huge sums they've received from them down the decades, mind.

culloty82
13/02/2023, 5:49 PM

joey B
13/02/2023, 5:56 PM
Brilliant stuff,hopefully a good opening night for Kerry!

EatYerGreens
13/02/2023, 5:57 PM

Fair play to Kerry, especially given the pricing. Let's hope it turns out to be a great evening for all concerned, and the crowds come back again,

Martinho II
13/02/2023, 8:47 PM
If Institute were in the NIFL surely that would be the longest trip?

Shinkicker
13/02/2023, 8:48 PM
Fair play to Kerry, especially given the pricing. Let's hope it turns out to be a great evening for all concerned, and the crowds come back again,
If everyone thought Kerry were highly priced and now they are sold out, does this mean other clubs are underselling their product??

nigel-harps1954
13/02/2023, 9:32 PM

Institute to Warrenpoint in the Championship is the longest trip in the NIFL league system as far as I can tell, even then it's shorter than Harps to Longford this season :D

EalingGreen
13/02/2023, 9:32 PM
They're in the Championship (2nd tier) but mid-table, so not going to get promoted this season (or relegated).

The promotion race is currently between 3 provincial sides, Loughgall, Annagh Utd (both Co.Armagh) and Warrenpoint Tn, top going up automatically and second into a P&R play-off with the 11th team in the Prem:
https://www.nifootballleague.com/championship/2022-2023/standings/

With Portadown seemingly certain to get relegated automatically, the relegation play-off spot is looking like Dungannon or Newry, but could conceivably be Glenavon or Carrick should either suffer a slump to the end of the season:
https://www.nifootballleague.com/premiership/2022-2023/standings/

Whatever happens, it won't help attendances for next season, but nor should it do too much harm either, I suspect.

EatYerGreens
14/02/2023, 12:58 AM
If everyone thought Kerry were highly priced and now they are sold out, does this mean other clubs are underselling their product??

It's easy to sell out your first ever senior match - particularly in a fairly small stadium. It' basically an historical event on Friday, with quite a lot of local media attention behind it too.

Let's see if they're still selling games out when they host Wexford in October before jumping to conclusions.

EatYerGreens
14/02/2023, 1:09 AM
They're in the Championship (2nd tier) but mid-table, so not going to get promoted this season (or relegated).

The promotion race is currently between 3 provincial sides, Loughgall, Annagh Utd (both Co.Armagh) and Warrenpoint Tn, top going up automatically and second into a P&R play-off with the 11th team in the Prem:
https://www.nifootballleague.com/championship/2022-2023/standings/

With Portadown seemingly certain to get relegated automatically, the relegation play-off spot is looking like Dungannon or Newry, but could conceivably be Glenavon or Carrick should either suffer a slump to the end of the season:
https://www.nifootballleague.com/premiership/2022-2023/standings/

Whatever happens, it won't help attendances for next season, but nor should it do too much harm either, I suspect.

I'd guess it'll dent the overall IL average for next season, and could even be its first decline in a while (Covid excepting). Though as the downturn would be spread across 12 teams, a lift at others should equalise it out.

Portadown are having a terrible season, yet still get over 1,000 at their games currently. Which is fairly impressive for a team who've only won once out of 26 league attempts, and have essentially been relegated for months now.

Whichever of Annagh, Loughall and Warrenpoint come up will be lucky to get even half of that average next season. I've been to all 3 and the crowds were poor (Warrenpoint crowd comprised largely of away fans, plus a local youth team. Annagh's crowd was really bad, though it was winter last season). Warrenpoint's average crowd in the top tier last season was only 450.

Conversely - if the LOI PD can shake off UCD at the end of this year and replace them with either Galway or Waterford, then our average for the following year should see a healthy increase :D

culloty82
14/02/2023, 1:59 PM
St Pat's vs Derry is sold out:

EalingGreen
14/02/2023, 3:08 PM
Portadown are having a terrible season, yet still get over 1,000 at their games currently. Which is fairly impressive for a team who've only won once out of 26 league attempts, and have essentially been relegated for months now.

I'd say it's very impressive for any team with 6 points out of a possible 78!

I had assumed that their current average of 1,025 was disproportionately boosted by visits of the Big Two and Glenavon, but not so much, really i.e. Glens 1,443 & 1,112, Linfield 1,550 & 1,364 and Glenavon 1,227*. Take those out and their average over the other 7 homes is still just under 800:
https://www.irishleaguesupporters.com/attteam.php?atthometeam=Portadown&attseason=2223&atthomeaway=home

Which just shows the potential in the town if only the club were to be run properly, both on and off the pitch (a huge "if only", it has to be said!).

* - For the reverse fixture at Mourneview on Boxing Day, the crowd was 2,527 - by far Glenavon's biggest of the season. (Their seasonal average incl that game is still only a very disappointing 934.)

nr637
14/02/2023, 3:18 PM
Any official attendance for the Derry v Shams, President Cup final other than the official capacity figure of 3,900 that is always produced?

By the way did Derry have that proposed away temporary stand available or is that planned for the home leagues or not!
:embarrassed:

EatYerGreens
14/02/2023, 4:41 PM
Any official attendance for the Derry v Shams, President Cup final other than the official capacity figure of 3,900 that is always produced?

By the way did Derry have that proposed away temporary stand available or is that planned for the home leagues or not!
:embarrassed:

Derry never publish attendance figures sure.

It was posted previously that that new stand won't be happening until next year.

Bunny Kelly
14/02/2023, 5:35 PM
It's easy to sell out your first ever senior match - particularly in a fairly small stadium. It' basically an historical event on Friday, with quite a lot of local media attention behind it too.

Let's see if they're still selling games out when they host Wexford in October before jumping to conclusions.

Whats the capacity that they sold out?

culloty82
14/02/2023, 6:11 PM

nr637
15/02/2023, 8:40 AM
Looking at the highlights of Glentoran 3 v Linfield 0 at the Oval last night (14/02/2023), I'd reckon between 4-5,000. Anyone known the official attendance or is better at estimating the crowd size knowing the Oval ground layout capacity?

EatYerGreens
15/02/2023, 10:51 AM
Looking at the highlights of Glentoran 3 v Linfield 0 at the Oval last night (14/02/2023), I'd reckon between 4-5,000. Anyone known the official attendance or is better at estimating the crowd size knowing the Oval ground layout capacity?

I think it holds approx 6,500 ?

Neither side sold out their ticket allocation apparently. And there was trouble at the game from Linfield fans too, who are already om a yellow card after previous incidents thos season. Will be interesting to see how the IFA responds to that now.

Martinho II
15/02/2023, 9:16 PM
I think it holds approx 6,500 ?

Neither side sold out their ticket allocation apparently. And there was trouble at the game from Linfield fans too, who are already om a yellow card after previous incidents thos season. Will be interesting to see how the IFA responds to that now.

Yeah seen the highlights on BBC NI news this evening shocking from the Linfield fans.