PDA

View Full Version : Predict the Squad/ Starting Lineup for Macedonia

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Crosby87
26/02/2011, 2:34 PM
What is Trap going to take from the Wales game? Will McCarthy be in the lineup? Does Trap want to inject some new blood into things? Or will it be pretty much the status quo like last time, barring injury?
If you had to predict the squad and starting lineup as of right now, what would it be?

Fixer82
26/02/2011, 3:19 PM
What is Trap going to take from the Wales game? Will McCarthy be in the lineup? Does Trap want to inject some new blood into things? Or will it be pretty much the status quo like last time, barring injury?
If you had to predict the squad and starting lineup as of right now, what would it be?

Westwood
O'Shea
St Ledger
Dunne
Kilbane
McGeady
Whelan
Gibson/Fahey
Duff
Doyle
Long

Sullivinho
26/02/2011, 3:39 PM
Westwood
O'Shea - Dunne - St. Ledger - Clark
McGeady - Gibson - Whelan - Duff
Keane/Walters - Doyle

Walters may have done enough in the Wales game to deputise for Robbie. I'd prefer Long myself. Clark had an assured debut, (albeit against poor opposition) has been playing regularly for Villa and should get the nod. Gibson's starting berth in the Wales game is notable given it was the game prior to a vital qualifier and Green was also available. Would Trap dare revert to the Derby ace? (snigger)

I'd downgrade the McCarthy question to whether or not he'll be in the squad tbh. Trap said he'll name him and I hope he stays true to that. He's fit, (visually verified at the time of writing) he's eligible and professedly wants to play for Ireland. Get him in. Roberto who?

AlaskaFox
26/02/2011, 6:10 PM
Westwood
O'Shea - St. Ledger - Dunne - Kilbane
Long - Doyle

With McCarthy in the squad, and Colin Doyle and Joe Murphy as the two backup keepers.

TrapAPony
26/02/2011, 6:13 PM
Westwood
O'Shea
St.Ledger
Dunne
Clark
McGeady
Gibson
Whelan
Duff
Walters
Doyle

musicinmouth
26/02/2011, 7:17 PM
Westwood
O'Shea
St.Ledger
Dunne
Kilbane
McGeady
Gibson
Whelan
Duff
Keane
Doyle

paul_oshea
26/02/2011, 7:19 PM
Doyle
Keane
Duff
Whelan
Gibson
McGeady
Kilbane
Dunne
St.Ledger
O'Shea
Westwood

tetsujin1979
26/02/2011, 7:59 PM
Westwood
O'Shea Dunne(c) St. Ledger Clark
McGeady Whelan Andrews Duff
Doyle Long

SwanVsDalton
26/02/2011, 10:56 PM
Doyle
Keane
Duff
Whelan
Gibson
McGeady
Kilbane
Dunne
St.Ledger
O'Shea
Westwood

Can't tell if you're giving us a bit of Twin Peaks-esque backwardness here or just being awkward. ;)

Westwood
O'Shea - St. Ledger - Dunne - Clark
Best - Doyle

Subs: J.Murphy; Kelly; Kilbane; Fahey; Lawrence; Long; Walters.

Best and Clark bolted into the team, but most of the old favourites on the bench.

tetsujin1979
26/02/2011, 11:59 PM
Can't tell if you're giving us a bit of Twin Peaks-esque backwardness here or just being awkward. ;)It's definitely being awkward, POS thinks Twin Peaks is a stripper's name!

Colbert Report
27/02/2011, 12:06 AM
No idea why ye all have Kilbane in the team, he won't even be in the squad!

Westwood
O'Shea-Dunne-St. Ledger-Clark
McGeady-Whelan-Gibson-Duff
Keogh-Doyle

EastTerracer
27/02/2011, 2:26 AM

I'll have a tenner on that with you if you're willing to stand over it.

paul_oshea
27/02/2011, 4:09 AM
I love twin peaks. dale cooper, kyle mcluaghlin. one of the best ever tv series. even if david lynch is a weirdo.

it will be interesting to see how best gets on between now and 26th march. i dont think he will have a great impach in the next month.

CraftyToePoke
27/02/2011, 5:26 AM
Westwood

O'Shea Dunne St.Ledger Clark

McGeady Whelan Gibson Duff

Long Doyle

the bear
27/02/2011, 11:18 AM
westwood
o'shea dunne sledger clark
coleman fahey o'hara duff
mcgeady
doyle

shakermaker1982
27/02/2011, 11:39 AM
Westwood

O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Clark

McGeady Gibson Whelan Duff

Doyle Long

If we could sort out central midfield that wouldn't be a bad team. I think Gibson is better in a 5 in MF so Whelan needs to be at the top of his game when Macedonia counter.

McCarthy better turn up to this squad if selected. If he doesn't feature then we have to forget him.

AlaskaFox
27/02/2011, 3:44 PM

Unless he's injured, he's 100% in the squad. Even if he didn't start, he'd be the kind of experienced player that Trap likes in the dressing room.

Fixer82
27/02/2011, 5:54 PM

Westwood
O'Shea-Dunne-St. Ledger-Clark
McGeady-Whelan-Gibson-Duff
Keogh-Doyle

Oh Kilbane will most certainly be in the squad.
Trap way too stubborn to drop him yet

Paddy Garcia
27/02/2011, 7:51 PM
I predict it will be one lacking in adventure and designed to secure a draw, threaten victory in patches and in all likelihood invite defeat.

What was that Dell Boy quote!

PS However there is always Duffer to create some magic!

Crosby87
27/02/2011, 8:29 PM
I wonder if McShane will be in.

Colbert Report
27/02/2011, 9:59 PM
Oh Kilbane will most certainly be in the squad.
Trap way too stubborn to drop him yet

Didn't he drop him for the Wales match?

TrapAPony
27/02/2011, 10:06 PM
Don't think so. Kilbane already had a match that night for Huddersfield, so Trap most likely let him play that to allow him to get a look at Clark.

Fergie's Son
27/02/2011, 10:54 PM
My guess is that McCarthy will have an injury. Hope Clark gets a run out.

Fixer82
28/02/2011, 2:42 AM
Didn't he drop him for the Wales match?

yes for an unimportant game. not gonna drop him from squad for a real competitive game. not how Trap operates with players he likes

tommy_c12000
28/02/2011, 8:26 AM
...............Westwood.................
Carr......Dunne....O'Shea.......Clark
McGeady..McCarthy..O'Hara...Duff
..............Long.....Doyle.............

tetsujin1979
28/02/2011, 9:12 AM
Westwood
McGeady Whelan Fahey Duff
Doyle Long

After watching the Carling Cup Final, I'm going to change Andrews for Fahey

Noelys Guitar
28/02/2011, 2:13 PM
Westwood
O'Shea Dunne St. Ledger Clark
Doyle Long

I thought Coleman was a little nervous against Wales (understandable) and did not show his best form. Great to have him on the bench if needed (very good game for Everton Saturday). I would play Fahey ahead of Gibson but feel Trap will go with Gibson (very close call). There is the outside chance (100/1) that Kenny could be parachuted into the team. Depends on how Trapatonni and Tardelli feel about Westwood. Don't rule it completely out. There is going to be a hell of a lot of pressure on Long if Keane (as seems likey) is not fit. Huge game for him and us.

Stuttgart88
28/02/2011, 6:25 PM
Westwood
Doyle Long

I thought Coleman was a little nervous against Wales (understandable) and did not show his best form. Great to have him on the bench if needed (very good game for Everton Saturday). I would play Fahey ahead of Gibson but feel Trap will go with Gibson (very close call).

Ditto to all that.

I think Long is a naturally confident lad - he'll revel in it.

The left side looks a bit vulnerable defensively maybe, but I guess it always does if the Duffer is there. But you've got to play to your strengths and Duffer is our most potent weapon and our best "out ball" for defenders & midfielders.

The Fly
28/02/2011, 6:35 PM
Westwood
McGeady Whelan Andrews Duff
Doyle Long

I think I'm gonna start calling that particular formation's line-up....."The Doughnut".

paul_oshea
28/02/2011, 7:36 PM
IN america maybe....

tricky_colour
01/03/2011, 1:35 AM
My guess is that McCarthy will have an injury. Hope Clark gets a run out.

He may well be suffering from a whiplash injury after being clattered by Rooney :p

ifk101
01/03/2011, 8:28 AM
Westwood
JoSH Dunne Clark Kilbane
Coleman Whelan Andrews Duff
Doyle Long

AlaskaFox
01/03/2011, 9:24 AM
There's no way anyone other than McGeady and Duffer start on the wings (barring injury of course).

ifk101
01/03/2011, 10:23 AM
There's no way anyone other than McGeady and Duffer start on the wings (barring injury of course).

I don't think you can make a sweeping statement like that when surely Coleman and Fahey must be in his frame of thought for those positions. McGeady's standing in the squad has certainly fallen since Trapattoni's appointment as manager so he is far from an automatic starter for the game especially when both Coleman and Fahey offer a greater honesty of effort when it comes to both attacking and defensive duties. .

shakermaker1982
01/03/2011, 11:06 AM
Spot on ifk101. McGeady is not guaranteed a starting position because he hasn't done the business for us (yet). I'd personally have Coleman ahead of him but he's only got the 1 cap so I can understand the Trap not selecting him for Macedonia. Duffer however always starts for me. When he's fit he is our key player.

Crosby87
01/03/2011, 11:30 AM
Are there any decent players in the Macedonia lineup?

shakermaker1982
01/03/2011, 11:39 AM
Are there any decent players in the Macedonia lineup?

Pandev!

lionelhutz
01/03/2011, 11:50 AM
Is Lawrence injured? Cause nobody on this thread has mentioned the possibility of him starting. He's definitely in the running if fit as Trap fancies him.

I wouldn't play him personally though. I've a nagging feeling that he'll start Green - God help us if he does. But surely Kilbane will never start another competitive game for Ireland after Clarks emergence.

Personally, my team would be;
Kenny
Coleman Fahey Whelan Duff
Long Doyle

But Trap will probably play Westwood, Green/Gibson and McGeady instead of Kenny, Fahey and Coleman.

Yard of Pace
01/03/2011, 12:43 PM
Pandev!

He's only got 1 league goal this season according to Wiki (3 in Europe) so that's somewhat nice to know.
Wiki also says that Šumulikoski in midfield, with 71 caps, is known to their fans as "the Balkan Gerrard". However, it's worth noting that he was released from Preston after 15 games in 2009 and failed a trial at Palace in 2010.

geysir
01/03/2011, 12:45 PM
Is Lawrence injured?
24/02 'Lawrence is Ireland’s latest fitness concern ahead of next month’s Euro 2012 clash with Macedonia.
The Portsmouth winger has a torn calf muscle'

Squad prediction
3 Goalkeepers

O'Shea
Clark
Coleman
Dunne
St Ledger
Kilbane
O'Dea
Kelly/Foley

Wilson
Gibson
Whelan
Green
McCarthy
Andrews
Duff
McGeady
Fahy

Walters
Doyle
Long
Best

I could see him starting with Walters but I wouldn't mind Long and Doyle.

McGeady and Duff are certs. Who knows with any certainty what CM will be like. Andrews should be back into contention, as well as new kid McCarthy. I doubt Trap will start Gibson.

Predator
01/03/2011, 1:08 PM
I'm intrigued as to whether Trap will use the same squad for the Uruguay game, or will there be a reserve pool of players to draw upon?

shakermaker1982
01/03/2011, 1:18 PM
He's only got 1 league goal this season according to Wiki (3 in Europe) so that's somewhat nice to know.
Wiki also says that Šumulikoski in midfield, with 71 caps, is known to their fans as "the Balkan Gerrard". However, it's worth noting that he was released from Preston after 15 games in 2009 and failed a trial at Palace in 2010.

He's the main man for his country and is a good player but I suppose at Inter he's got to bow down to Eto'o, Milito and co. I think Inter signed another striker during last transfer window as well so he's probably not getting much game time at the moment which should be to our benefit. I hope the guy is rusty.

cufc champions
01/03/2011, 1:53 PM
westwood
Ledger Dunne Clarke
Mcgeady Fahey Whelan Gibson Duff
Long Doyle

J Murphy Coleman Hunt Lawernce Best

There is goals in this team

TiocfaidhArmani
01/03/2011, 3:47 PM
I don't know why Whelan is in everyones team. He's an average player who can't get a game for Stoke with nobody really in for him. Gibson and Fahey are much better options, but you know how loyal Trap is, it's annoying.

AlaskaFox
01/03/2011, 4:09 PM
I don't know why Whelan is in everyones team. He's an average player who can't get a game for Stoke with nobody really in for him. Gibson and Fahey are much better options, but you know how loyal Trap is, it's annoying.

It's a predictions thread, not a "dream first XI" thread. So everyone is putting Trap's likely loyalties into their teams.

Sullivinho
01/03/2011, 4:49 PM
Whelan is a Trapattoni stalwart. Must surely be one of the most capped players during his reign.

geysir
01/03/2011, 5:43 PM
Whelan has personality.

Predator
01/03/2011, 6:30 PM
Whelan has personality.
I agree. Marty Whelan has plenty personality.

The Fly
01/03/2011, 6:36 PM
Ba-dum-tsh.

tricky_colour
01/03/2011, 6:40 PM
Whelan has personality.

Will he be starting alongside Louis Walsh then?