PDA

View Full Version : Predict the Squad/ Starting Lineup for Macedonia

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Scooby Doo
14/03/2011, 10:21 PM
Tried listening to the Trap interview on TV3's website but the sound quality is sh!te. Can anyone provide details on what he spoke about re: Stephen Ireland/James McCarthy/O'Hara/Pennant etc etc? I assume the hacks questioned him on these!?

geysir
14/03/2011, 11:04 PM
What assertion?
I suspect that Paul has learned a new word today and just thought he'd try it out somewhere.

Sullivinho
14/03/2011, 11:22 PM
Tried listening to the Trap interview on TV3's website but the sound quality is sh!te. Can anyone provide details on what he spoke about re: Stephen Ireland/James McCarthy/O'Hara/Pennant etc etc? I assume the hacks questioned him on these!?

Nothing about those players in that piece. Most of his comments are without context due to some horrible editing but he expresses confidence in Westwood, says that Dunne is already in training and Robbie's fitness will be evaluated when he turns up. Some token compliments for the Macedonians whom he believes will be defeated if we play as we did against Wales.

I read somewhere earlier that his thoughts on Pennant and O'Hara will be in one of the newspapers tomorrow.

Scooby Doo
14/03/2011, 11:30 PM
Cheers for that. Decent squad more or less. Should be enough to do the business next Saturday.

Noelys Guitar
14/03/2011, 11:42 PM
Some very interesting stuff in this article from Trap.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0315/1224292163042.html

Reading between the lines I see Green and Kilbane starting against Macedonia. O'Hara is still *****ing around. And if McCarthy proves himself good enough then we will change tactics.

Sullivinho
15/03/2011, 12:23 AM
I think/hope the mention of Green was as an example of how a strong showing in training can improve someone's chances of getting a game.

Noelys Guitar
15/03/2011, 1:13 AM
I think/hope the mention of Green was as an example of how a strong showing in training can improve someone's chances of getting a game.

Hope your right Sullivinho. It is going to be the most anticipated starting 11 for some time as their are so 3 or even 4 positions up for grabs.

Stuttgart88
15/03/2011, 8:29 AM
Some good coverage of the press conf from Trap in the Examiner (http://www.examiner.ie/sport/trapattoni-set-to-call-on-mccarthy-148207.html)

Seems like both sides made good use of the press conference, for a change. Trap was quite defensive of Stephen Ireland.

AlaskaFox
15/03/2011, 8:54 AM
Clark may be better than Kilbane at this stage, but I still don't think he's the answer to our prayers. From what I've seen of him (which is every game he's played, as I'm a Villa fan), he's an average player, prone to late challenges and occasional ball-watching. I'd almost be tempted to start Kevin against Macedonia.

Kingdom
15/03/2011, 9:14 AM
Emmet Malone is the schnizzle.

What I like about Clark is that he looks very comfortable on the ball, and is eager to keep it in play and on the deck. He probably isn't the long term solution (more than likely Cunningham; possibly O'Halloran) but it's another string to his bow. It's nice to have a versatile squad - Foley, O'Shea, Clark, Wilson, McGeady, McCarthy, Doyle, Long, Fahey - are all players that are comfortable in different positions, different areas of the pitch and it's a quality that in theory should allow for a more fluid type of game from Ireland. In theory.

SwanVsDalton
15/03/2011, 9:20 AM
Clark may be better than Kilbane at this stage, but I still don't think he's the answer to our prayers. From what I've seen of him (which is every game he's played, as I'm a Villa fan), he's an average player, prone to late challenges and occasional ball-watching. I'd almost be tempted to start Kevin against Macedonia.

Kind of agree, but would take issue with 'average player'. Think he's raw, but once he develops into a CB, which is where I think he'll end up, he could be very exciting. He's a natural footballer, looks very assured for a young guy to me.

paul_oshea
15/03/2011, 9:41 AM
Well obviously. But we have had left-sided defenders and presumably they all had something to offer but Kilbane offered more. Therefore he can't have been as useless as the person I was responding to (but forgot to quote) said.

What assertion?

That without kilbane in the side we concede more goals. Given that he has missed very few games over the last few years and made over 100 appearances. All i know is we have conceded goals directly because of him in the last few years.

Geysir, desist, its getting tiring at this stage, your attempts at sarcasm are failing your generally intelligent posts. Oh look another new word!

geysir
15/03/2011, 9:42 AM
The Examiner (http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/trapattoni-set-to-call-on-mccarthy-148207.html) has a bit more clarity with Trap's quotes

on McCarthy
"Maybe he will not be on from the start," said the manager, "but we will see how the game goes and once the situation is clear we can put him in. On the other hand, if he convinces me in training that he is ready to start, then why not? Sean St Ledger did that in the away match against Bulgaria."

On Damien Duff.

"We hope he stays in the same form," said Trapattoni. "He’s one of our best players, and a good guy. There are periods in a player’s career where, with maturity, they reach a level of calm which, psychologically, allows them give the best they can because they’re happy what they’re doing."

paul_oshea
15/03/2011, 9:42 AM
McCarthy has been in most every squad since the Brazil game.

Correction, he has been called into most of the squads ;)

Noelys Guitar
15/03/2011, 9:43 AM
I would choose Clark over Kilbane for his link up play with Duff (and mcGeady when /if they switch positions during game) and whoever plays on the left side of midfield. Kilbane's understandable loss of pace effects the whole left side of the team. Clark is very good going forward and can get to the byline if need be. Both players are good headers of the ball but for me it is Clarks ability to link up quickly with other players that sees him get the shout.

tetsujin1979
15/03/2011, 9:47 AM
Originally, I picked Foley - O'Shea - St Ledger - Clark, but it does look a little inexperienced (despite O'Shea's presence) so Kilbane would solve that problem
With Dunne's apparent availability, I'd move O'Shea out to the right and play Dunne in the centre

paul_oshea
15/03/2011, 10:06 AM
I would choose Clark over Kilbane for his link up play with Duff (and mcGeady when /if they switch positions during game) and whoever plays on the left side of midfield. Kilbane's understandable loss of pace effects the whole left side of the team. Clark is very good going forward and can get to the byline if need be. Both players are good headers of the ball but for me it is Clarks ability to link up quickly with other players that sees him get the shout.

Ya, all those qualities, which we all have seen from kilbane is that he always goes across or backwards, cant do quick 1-2s or play the ball in tight areas and doesn't really offer anything going forward either. Defensively he reminds me of harte, but harte always looked heavier(and at least offered solutions with some great diagonal and long balls to, and also dead ball expert - again kilbane doesn't have any of this), Kilbane comes in too deep sometimes and his pace is then exposed by balls over the top. The question is, is Clark any worse defensively than kilbane, in my opinion no, but i haven't seen enough of him either to judge, and if he is not then he has to play, because kilbane offers very little overall to be honest and is dodgy defensively too.

Yard of Pace
15/03/2011, 10:18 AM
Clark needs to gain experience at some point so a home game against Macedonia would seem like as good a game as any to do that. On the other hand, if I knew Kilbane was able to continue playing at the level he did against Slovakia for the rest of the campaign, I'd stick with him for his experience.

AlaskaFox
15/03/2011, 10:39 AM
Kind of agree, but would take issue with 'average player'. Think he's raw, but once he develops into a CB, which is where I think he'll end up, he could be very exciting. He's a natural footballer, looks very assured for a young guy to me.

At the moment, for me, he's an "average player". However, due to his youth, I'm sure he can become a fantastic talent for both club and country.

ofjames
15/03/2011, 7:24 PM
O'Shea has had to go off with what looks like a hamstring injury after 35 mins against Marseille tonight.

Has to be a major doubt for the Macedonia game now.

geysir
15/03/2011, 9:04 PM
And that's a major blow for us as it's almost for sure he'll have to withdraw, more so if Dunne will also be out.

back 4
Foley Clark St Ledger Kilbane.

paul_oshea
15/03/2011, 9:11 PM
Thank god we are at home.

But maybe this forces Trap to give Clark a game, where he mightn't have before, and automatically pushes him to the starting 11 from now on. Thats about the best that can come out of this.

This is sorta a loaded question, but will he really go with Clark and St Ledger in the middle - i know we dont really have any other options. I really hope Dunne plays even if half fit.

Junior
15/03/2011, 9:18 PM
Great tie winning goal from Pandev tonight for Inter. We'll need our defenders on the ball........

geysir
15/03/2011, 9:28 PM
He's a portly chap, Pandev.

paul_oshea
15/03/2011, 9:30 PM
Great tie winning goal from Pandev tonight for Inter. We'll need our defenders on the ball........

Ya, something we know (paricularly certain members) they cant really do

gilberto_eire
15/03/2011, 11:10 PM
Thank god we are at home.

But maybe this forces Trap to give Clark a game, where he mightn't have before, and automatically pushes him to the starting 11 from now on. Thats about the best that can come out of this.

This is sorta a loaded question, but will he really go with Clark and St Ledger in the middle - i know we dont really have any other options. I really hope Dunne plays even if half fit.

I think Clark starts either way, this just opens a potential RB position for Kelly.

Kelly St.Ledger Dunne Clark

Counting Dunne out too I see Kilbane coming back in....

Kelly St.Ledger Clark Kilbane

Kingdom
16/03/2011, 9:01 AM
We have to imagine O'Shea is in trouble for Macedonia. I mentioned it somewhere else last week, but the time has come to blood the likes of Foley and Clark. If Dunne is fit, go with himself and Sledger in the Middle and give the two young guys a chance in the corners. They have to get a start sometime.

Stuttgart88
16/03/2011, 10:17 AM
I'm not too fussed about O'Shea's absence as long as Dunne is fit. John O'Shea the right back is not an essential member of the team, although his height is useful defending set pieces. If Dunne is injured then O'Shea the centre-back is a big loss.

I'd prefer to see Foley at RB, marginally over Wilson, then Kelly.

If changes are required and we get away with a win, then it could be a really useful catalyst for permanent change. We all know that Trap sticks with incumbents.

Kingdom
16/03/2011, 10:20 AM
I'm not too fussed about O'Shea's absence as long as Dunne is fit. John O'Shea the right back is not an essential member of the team, although his height is useful defending set pieces. If Dunne is injured then O'Shea the centre-back is a big loss.

I'd prefer to see Foley at RB, marginally over Wilson, then Kelly.

If changes are required and we get away with a win, then it could be a really useful catalyst for permanent change. We all know that Trap sticks with incumbents.

Agree 110% with this.

Stuttgart88
16/03/2011, 10:22 AM
It's worthwhile looking at our options:

RB:
O'Shea
Foley
Wilson
Coleman
Kelly

CB:
Dunne
O'Shea
Sledge
Clark
Wilson
O'Dea

LB:
Kilbane
Clark
O'Dea
O'Shea
Kelly - only if necessary

We should be able to configure a decent enough defence out of that lot, but no passengers can be tolerated.

Kingdom
16/03/2011, 10:49 AM
It's worthwhile looking at our options:

RB:
O'Shea
Foley
Wilson
Coleman
Kelly

CB:
Dunne
O'Shea
Sledge
Clark
Wilson
O'Dea

LB:
Kilbane
Clark
O'Dea
O'Shea
Kelly - only if necessary

We should be able to configure a decent enough defence out of that lot, but no passengers can be tolerated.

Is that in general or for the upcoming games? If the former, Cunningham has to be high on the LB list. That aside, we're singing off the same hymn sheet. Perhaps add Duffy to CB list.

Stuttgart88
16/03/2011, 10:55 AM
I meant for the upcoming games, and based on who is in the 29 man squad (from what I can remember of it). Cunningham would be high up the LB list otherwise, but I think Duffy is a fair bit away from being considered for a CB role this season.

paul_oshea
16/03/2011, 11:38 AM
Agree 110% with this.

Well Ill take away at least 15% then. IF O'shea is injured, Dunne being "fit", is obviously of utmost importance to our chances of getting the win here. But realistically he will have been out for a month, with all that has gone on since, and the fact that he wont actually be proper match fit, this is still a big big problem.

It will be great to have Dunne, it is essential, but it wont be the same dunne.

Charlie Darwin
16/03/2011, 12:33 PM
If Dunne and O'Shea are both out, I have a feeling Trap would go with Sledge and O'Dea at centre half since they've played there together a couple of times.

Wolfie
16/03/2011, 12:57 PM
If Dunne and O'Shea are both out, I have a feeling Trap would go with Sledge and O'Dea at centre half since they've played there together a couple of times.

If the above scenario came to pass, I'd hope Trapp selects Sledge / Clarke at centre half.

I really think Clarke would be the better bet at centre half and would be a better threat from set pieces such as corners.

He's already proved he can get on the end of corners with Villa.

Obviously, the offensive qualities are of secondary concern and I'd pick him primarily on his defensive ability at centre half.

SwanVsDalton
16/03/2011, 12:58 PM

Certainly hope not - honestly, if that were to happen, I'd rather he recalled McShane and played him. In fact if O'Shea's out, I think Paul will be back in the squad and likely on the bench. Trap will probably value his relative experience.

The idea of O'Shea and Dunne both out really is a nightmare though. I'd back Clark and Sledge to do the job but, with those two and a newbie goalie, it'd be a total heart-in-mouth ninety minutes.

Sullivinho
16/03/2011, 1:09 PM
If it came down to it, I'd be hoping Trap had enough confidence in Clark too. I don't rate O'Dea at all but he has been a regular enough squad member. I'd also trust Foley at RB but I'm not sure Trap would/will.

geysir
16/03/2011, 1:13 PM
If Trap has a question of who will play at CH should both Dunne and O'Shea be out, then he'll surely look to the squad training sessions for the most likely suspect. I don't think O'Dea has any more claim than Clark, just because he has a few non competitive caps.
I suspect if Dunne is 1/2 fit, he will play.

Noelys Guitar
16/03/2011, 3:00 PM
Dunne simply has to play or else there is a real chance our Qualifying hopes could end against Macedonia. None of the permutatons look good enough not to concede at least a goal. We might just get away with it but if Dunne can't play then Trapatonni has to go with the players playing at the top of their game at this moment in time and at the highest standard. That means Wilson or Foley right back. St Ledger and Clark center backs and Kelly or Kilbane at left back. None fill me with confidence to operate as a unit. Dunne has to play.

Kingdom
16/03/2011, 4:34 PM
Every so often, when a big scare like this happens I think back to two occasions I was lucky to catch. In 1995, Luca Bucci got injured prior to Parma hosting Milan. Gigi Buffon made his debut that day and kept a clean sheet.
18 months later he made his Azzuri debut in similar unusual circumstances, coming on in the WC playoff for Pagliuca in the first half. In both instances he was untried and went on to become the greatest keeper.
I'm not saying Clark or Foley will go on to collect the Ballon D'Or but at home against Macedonia, when we should have the ability and experience to keep the pressure on their back line and keep the pressure off ours, then it's as good a match as any for it to happen in.
Who knows, Foley, SLedger, Clark Cunningham could be our back line come Moscow in September.

geysir
16/03/2011, 5:05 PM
I doubt that Dunne is ready to relinquish his position just yet and is wiling to do anything to lead the line, even fervently follow the 12 steps.

the bear
16/03/2011, 6:40 PM
gk westwood
rb foley
lb clarke
cb sledger
cb wilson

very inexperienced but i like the look of it

Stuttgart88
16/03/2011, 8:18 PM
gk westwood
rb foley
lb clarke
cb sledger
cb wilson

very inexperienced but i like the look of itMe too. I hope that's the back 5 that starts against Uruguay!

Noelys Guitar
16/03/2011, 9:42 PM
gk westwood
rb foley
lb clarke
cb sledger
cb wilson

very inexperienced but i like the look of it

Wilson just played well against West Ham so thats a good sign and although a litle slow seems to have a very good football brain. Foley has had a good season with Wolves. St Ledger scored our goal last game and never really lets us down and Clark is also having a good season at Villa and looked good against Wales. I would hope this would be the back four if Dunne is not able to make it.

Jicked
16/03/2011, 9:52 PM
That's way too inexperienced a back four to go with for a competitive game. Wilson has still yet to impress me, he's been better this season but last year was at McShane levels of atrociousness. We'll need some sort of experience considering we'll be without Given, O'Shea and possibly Dunne in that defence, and for me that requires asking KK for one last effort for Ireland, his voice and knowledge of how we should be shaping up could be vital even if his legs aren't quite.

Noelys Guitar
16/03/2011, 9:58 PM
That's way too inexperienced a back four to go with for a competitive game. Wilson has still yet to impress me, he's been better this season but last year was at McShane levels of atrociousness. We'll need some sort of experience considering we'll be without Given, O'Shea and possibly Dunne in that defence, and for me that requires asking KK for one last effort for Ireland, his voice and knowledge of how we should be shaping up could be vital even if his legs aren't quite.

Only if there able to play. O'Shea is almost certainly out and Dunne we still don't know about yet. Believe me the nerves will kick in for everyone if we have to go with the back four mentioned. But there is a real possibility the back four could be Foley, Wilson , St Ledger and Clark. So lets hope they can all step up if needed. They could be brilliant on the day. Or not.

Charlie Darwin
16/03/2011, 10:00 PM
I'm trying to think of an (internationally) experienced defender we could call upon and who can play centre half in the absence of Dunne and O'Shea and the only one who hasn't ruled himself out from selection is... Ian Harte. Stephen Kelly maybe?

Noelys Guitar
16/03/2011, 10:11 PM
I'm trying to think of an (internationally) experienced defender we could call upon and who can play centre half in the absence of Dunne and O'Shea and the only one who hasn't ruled himself out from selection is... Ian Harte. Stephen Kelly maybe?

McShane can't be that far away from a call up. And that is worrying. It is not beyond the bounds he could yet start against Macedonia even if he wasn't selected in the original 29. Circumstances and his international experience could yet push him up the order.

Charlie Darwin
16/03/2011, 10:14 PM
I don't think so. Italy away I think was Trapattoni's epiphany that he wouldn't be able to use him there.

Noelys Guitar
16/03/2011, 10:21 PM
I don't think so. Italy away I think was Trapattoni's epiphany that he wouldn't be able to use him there.

I thought so as well but if Trap decides he needs experienced heads then Kilbane will play at left back and then he would probably go with Kelly at right back with St Ledger and Clark central. With McShane next in line if anything happens to Clark or St Ledger.