PDA

View Full Version : Champions League thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

OwlsFan
25/10/2007, 9:40 AM
Tough luck on Celtic but they had ridden their luck for a fair bit of the game. McGeady did well for them in patches.

Liverpool: what can you say? Might still win the last 3 games and qualify but not playing well or dominating the opposition. Fantastic support by the Turkish crowd.

Chelsea clinical as usual but not impressing.

Real Madrid come from 1-2 down to beat the 10 man Greeks 4-2.

Barca failing to beat Rangers. Sum of the total not as good as the individuals although is Henry past his sell by date?

Arsenal playing really well but peaking too early?

Man U: too many frailties as the back and rely too much on Rooney. A midfield of Anderson and O'Shea wouldn't frighten even Sheffield Wednesday.

AC Milan: despite the defeat by Celtic, my tip to win it.

superfrank
26/10/2007, 9:02 PM
Chelsea may not be impressive but they got the result. Also Rosenborg beating Valencia says one of two things: either Rosenborg are better than everyone assumes or Valencia are getting worse. Either one looks good for Chelsea.

I'm not tipping any teams at this stage. As long as Chelsea and Marseille get through I'm happy.

DmanDmythDledge
27/10/2007, 12:35 AM
Man U: too many frailties as the back and rely too much on Rooney. A midfield of Anderson and O'Shea wouldn't frighten even Sheffield Wednesday.
Eh, Scholes and Carrick are centre mid. And I know who played there on Tuesday before you say. And it wasn't O'Shea.;)

It's between Man Utd and Barca imo. Arsenal don't have the experience, despite my sarcastic sig...

OwlsFan
11/11/2007, 2:32 PM
I see Jamie Rednapp has come out and said the CL is boring, which for Sky is something of an admission. I think the competition needs to be revamped but TV money is a major obstacle. More games = more money. The Knock out stage is always where the excitement is. The league format where by and large one can guess which 2 teams will qualify is jaded.

stojkovic
11/11/2007, 5:11 PM
This seasons Champions League has the potential to be the worst ever.

Wouldnt be surprised to see all four English teams in the semis, if they avoid each other in the draw, obviously.

eirebhoy
11/11/2007, 5:26 PM
As a Celtic fan the CL is anything but boring. I think the CL means a lot more to Celtic fans than to the Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd in this country for obvious reasons.

jebus
11/11/2007, 6:17 PM
For the neutral though the group stage is muck, I've stopped watching as I don't care until it gets to the knockout stages and there is a possibility of the big teams being emilinated. It really does need revamping to be honest, I'd start the CL proper with 10 groups of three, only the winners advancing to the knockout stage, with the remaining 6 knockout stage spots already gone to the champions of England, Germany, France, Spain, Holland, and Italy, who recieve byes past the first round as reward for winning their domestic league.

That way you could potentially end up with a group consisting of AC Milan, Liverpool and say Besiktas, where one of AC and Liverpool will definately go out, and so there games will be more exciting, as will there games with a team like Besiktas, for a slip up there could see them greatly increase their chances of elimination as well.

Of the 30 teams in the groups I'd break it down to guaranteed spots, besides the Champions of the 6 mentioned above, for 2 from England, Spain and Italy, 1 from France, Holland, Germany, Portugal, Greece and Scotland, with the rest being made up of all those from the qualifiers, which would include one more team from England, Spain, France, Holland, Germany, Italy, Scotland, and Portugal, as well as whoever has got through the qualifiers from the various other countries

osarusan
12/11/2007, 7:27 AM
I'd start the CL proper with 10 groups of three, only the winners advancing to the knockout stage, with the remaining 6 knockout stage spots already gone to the champions of England, Germany, France, Spain, Holland, and Italy, who recieve byes past the first round as reward for winning their domestic league.

But that would financially punish teams for winning the league, as they'd miss out on 2 home games.

OwlsFan
12/11/2007, 3:10 PM
I see Jamie Rednapp has come out and said the CL is boring, which for Sky is something of an admission. .

Opps, it was his dad who said it. I should have known better :rolleyes:

http://blogs.reuters.com/soccer/2007/11/08/champions-league-in-danger-of-becoming-the-boring-league/

Roadend
12/11/2007, 3:39 PM
Like Jamie is capable of an independant thought, tut tut.

jebus
12/11/2007, 6:30 PM
But that would financially punish teams for winning the league, as they'd miss out on 2 home games.

But it would give them the advantage in their own league, so there's positives and negatives. Plus according to the word of Rafa the real money to be made in the Champions League is in the knockout stages anyway

Marked Man
12/11/2007, 9:07 PM
Thought the Inter/CSKA game was class until Inter netted a fourth. The Celtic/Benfica game was kind of exciting too, given that a loss for either team pretty much guaranteed an exit.

OwlsFan
27/11/2007, 9:24 AM
Another couple of fairly meaningless games tonight with Arsenal and Man U already qualified.

superfrank
27/11/2007, 11:13 AM
At least RTÉ are showing Lyon and Barca for a change. I'm looking forward to it although I'm already dreading Dunphy's lack of knowledge on Ligue Une.

EAFC_rdfl
27/11/2007, 2:58 PM
and hopefully they'll show highlights of rangers getting pumped! Sure as Giles says - Eamon you know all about the spanish league :rolleyes: HA only because its on in the pub on sunday evenings :D:D!!!

DaveyCakes
27/11/2007, 3:24 PM
and hopefully they'll show highlights of rangers getting pumped! Sure as Giles says - Eamon you know all about the spanish league :rolleyes: HA only because its on in the pub on sunday evenings :D:D!!!

Stuttgart are starting to get their act together, they hammered Bayern a few weks ago and won 4-1 at Frankfurt on Saturday...

EAFC_rdfl
27/11/2007, 3:35 PM
I saw that, looks like they are back to the kind of form they showed last season, some very useful players, just had a bad start to the season. hopefully they're coming good just in time to knock rangers out!!!

stojkovic
27/11/2007, 6:35 PM
Shocked at Gilesy's lack of knowledge regarding the Dutch 4-3-3 system that Barca play.

superfrank
27/11/2007, 6:47 PM
Not really. He doesn't now anything about football outside these islands.

see's it
28/11/2007, 8:14 AM
he made a great point lastnight about the lack of knowledge of the game in england i think he was spot on

JC_GUFC
28/11/2007, 8:36 AM
At least RTÉ are showing Lyon and Barca for a change. I'm looking forward to it although I'm already dreading Dunphy's lack of knowledge on Ligue Une.

He may have known that it was Ligue Un rather than Ligue Une! ;)

Interesting game between Rangers and Lyon in store for Ibrox. Although Lyon are going to win the French League at a canter again I don't think they're nearly as good as they were the last few seasons so I think Rangers will do enough.

In tonight's games regardless of what Liverpool do they're fu**ed if Marseille win in Besiktas.

OwlsFan
28/11/2007, 8:58 AM
Yes, the Old Firm on their own patch are a difficult proposition. Who says the fans don't make a difference?

EAFC_rdfl
28/11/2007, 9:08 AM
Not really. He doesn't now anything about football outside these islands.

he's a big fan of Verry Tenables though :D:D

superfrank
28/11/2007, 9:51 AM
Although Lyon are going to win the French League at a canter again I don't think they're nearly as good as they were the last few seasons so I think Rangers will do enough.
I'm not so sure. They have been nowhere near as impressive this year. Alain Perrin is nothing compared to Houllier.

In tonight's games regardless of what Liverpool do they're fu**ed if Marseille win in Besiktas.
Here's hoping. I don't think L'OM are going to do it though. They rarely perform when the pressure's on.

Marked Man
28/11/2007, 4:20 PM
I was very puzzled by Lyon's attitude towards the end of the game yesterday. At 2-2, they were standing off players in the middle of the park, and not really pushing forward when they had possession. Given that a win would have left them needing only a draw in Glasgow, whereas either a draw or a defeat would have left them needing to beat a team that already beat them 3-0 in France, this seemed decidedly odd.

OwlsFan
28/11/2007, 4:28 PM
Yes, a draw/loss made no difference since they would still have to beat Rangers. They needed to win but I didn't notice them standing off. I think they just found it hard to get the ball back off Barca.

geysir
28/11/2007, 4:35 PM
Rte's Daragh Maloney did a very good job on the CL commentary last night, doesn't yap too much, sometimes even allows the play to proceed without the need to say anything,
gets the names right and will tell you just what you need to know, ie. who is on the ball.
A good commentator is one you don't notice during the game.

shakermaker1982
28/11/2007, 5:03 PM
come on Porto!!!!

Anybody been watching SS News the past hour? It seems every fan they stop to interview is Irish (mainly Dubs). Do any real local scousers actually go to the games any more? :)

jebus
28/11/2007, 8:40 PM
Have to say that Celtic are enjoyable to watch at home in the Champions League, may not be the best football but there is always a sting in the tail in their games

paul_oshea
28/11/2007, 9:20 PM
not a celtic fan by any means but i was delighted to see them score there at the end, something exciting cos they never give up.

OwlsFan
29/11/2007, 9:07 AM
Yep, have to admit applauding when they scored the winner. Sometimes huff and puff does blow the house down. Not sure they'll get anything from the trip to Milan so they'll need the Ukrainians to slip up at home to Benfica in the last game. Very enjoyable game. I switched away from the Liv vs Porto game to watch it.

superfrank
29/11/2007, 9:09 AM
Here's hoping. I don't think L'OM are going to do it though. They rarely perform when the pressure's on.
Just like to say I got my prediction right. Now we'll need to get something against Liverpool in the Velodrome. I think we can do it.

Glad to see my other team go through too. Chlesea destroyed Rosenborg last night.

stojkovic
29/11/2007, 11:02 AM
Just like to say I got my prediction right. Now we'll need to get something against Liverpool in the Velodrome. I think we can do it.

Glad to see my other team go through too. Chlesea destroyed Rosenborg last night.

You a big Marseilles fan then SuperFrancois?

Or a Manc.

superfrank
29/11/2007, 11:17 AM
You a big Marseilles fan then SuperFrancois?
Marseille, Chelsea and Bray.

Or a Manc.
No way.

stojkovic
29/11/2007, 11:55 AM

Back to the days of JPP ?

Kicko
29/11/2007, 2:10 PM

and why marseille superfrancois?? im jus interested to know...

stojkovic
29/11/2007, 2:19 PM

Big fan of JPP i'd say, or Basile Boli headbutting Stuart Pearce.

superfrank
29/11/2007, 4:20 PM
Why not?

eirebhoy
29/11/2007, 7:50 PM
Shakhtar are 5/2 on Betfair to qualify. :eek::eek::eek: Celtic are 4/11. I'd really put Shakhtar favourites and can't believe those odds.

NeilMcD
29/11/2007, 8:30 PM
The money is to put your house on a draw in the San Siro, suits both teams.

eirebhoy
29/11/2007, 8:59 PM
True but chances are Ronaldo will start his first game against Celtic and he'll want to prove something.

OwlsFan
30/11/2007, 8:54 AM
Shakhtar are 5/2 on Betfair to qualify. :eek::eek::eek: Celtic are 4/11. I'd really put Shakhtar favourites and can't believe those odds.

Certainly worth a tenner on Shakhtar.

Junior
30/11/2007, 3:14 PM
Dont forget that Benfica have a Uefa spot to play for, though I dont fancy their chances in the Ukraine. All 4 teams are playing for something Milan to top the group, Celtic and Shaktar to qualify and Benfica for a Uefa spot.

gustavo
30/11/2007, 3:17 PM
Ronaldo will start his first game against Celtic and he'll want to prove something.

What vendetta does he have against Celtic?;)

eirebhoy
30/11/2007, 4:48 PM
Sorry. :) Ronaldo will start his first game of the season against Celtic and he'll want to prove something. ;)

stojkovic
03/12/2007, 11:10 PM
Can anyone tell me why CL Group D is on this week and not next ?

The Ukrainian winter ?

NeilMcD
03/12/2007, 11:26 PM
Its because Milan have to play in the World Club Final in Tokyo. Its also happened before when both Milan clubs are playing at home in the final game.

stojkovic
03/12/2007, 11:56 PM
Its because Milan have to play in the World Club Final in Tokyo. Its also happened before when both Milan clubs are playing at home in the final game.

Yeah I'd checked Inter but they're away next week.

But that explains it. Cheers.

OwlsFan
04/12/2007, 11:55 AM
Milan to win 2-0 and Shakhtar to win 2-1.

gustavo
04/12/2007, 3:42 PM
Sorry. :) Ronaldo will start his first game of the season ;)

Pity he is out , wFor that reason alone would have been worth watching , I think Celtic can get the draw if not win the thing , Milan been in bad form this season