PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Bluebeard
21/08/2007, 11:31 AM
Givens was a great servant to the national team as a player, and this should be remembered. Unfortunately, he is going to be remembered for taking on a job he didn't have the technology to do and for staying in it for ages as someone behind the scenes artificially held him in there.

Familar sounding, isn't it.

NeilMcD
21/08/2007, 11:39 AM
Technology, buy the guy a laptop and some championship manager and a copy of pro zone.

Noelys Guitar
21/08/2007, 11:40 AM
Not his job to be running to the media everytime there is a problem with a player. Great player in his prime but woeful manager. And should have gotten the boot along time ago.

tetsujin1979
21/08/2007, 11:41 AM
I totally agree with riffraff. Givens has done this numerous times before. Keith Foy springs to mind when he was at forest.

Or Connolly that one time he was in charge of the senior team, 0-0 away to Greece. The most God-awful game I've ever sat through in my life.

tetsujin1979
21/08/2007, 11:42 AM
Why isn't Roy O'Donovan in that squad?
Only turned 22 last week.
Still not 100%, played and scored for the reserves against Hebburn Town last ngiht: http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=12980

theworm2345
21/08/2007, 12:07 PM
Givens is a liar (we've seen it before), don't believe a word he says (and I've been the one ripping on Stokes too...)

TonyD
21/08/2007, 12:10 PM
Funniest thing about the whole saga is the suggestion that Roy Keane would contact the FAI, about ANYTHING. :)

cheifo
21/08/2007, 12:17 PM
Garvan been omitted because of..well God knows and now trouble with Stokes.Throw in Terry Dixons injury and we are not having much luck with our most promising young players.:confused:

Givens does seem to like playing the martyr though.

SunderlandBohs
21/08/2007, 12:22 PM
Did Givens ring Sunderland to find out if Stokes was injured before running to the papers? I'm guessing no.

as_i_say
21/08/2007, 12:29 PM
Couldnt give a sh1t about Givens being inconvenienced. Total waste of space.

Macy
21/08/2007, 12:44 PM
Givens does seem to like playing the martyr though.
Wouldn't you be looking for every excuse going with his record?

kingeric
21/08/2007, 1:13 PM
what a load of bullsh1t. For the FAI to call someone unproffesional is a joke.

For an 18/19 year old, Stokes takes an awful amount of abuse.

I really can't understand why the lad gets personal insulted all the time? and so much of the time it seems to be based on rumours..

so he missed a bus last year?..

what else has he ACTUALLY done to deserve the level of abuse that people give him on an on-going basis?

Macy
21/08/2007, 1:16 PM
what else has he ACTUALLY done to deserve the level of abuse that people give him on an on-going basis?
Signing for a Roy Keane managed side and turning down Celtic has a lot to do with it imo.

Billsthoughts
21/08/2007, 1:21 PM
Signing for a Roy Keane managed side and turning down Celtic has a lot to do with it imo.

amen to that...

DmanDmythDledge
21/08/2007, 1:26 PM
That has nothing to do with it. His bad attitide, disrespect to fellow teammates and wasting his talent is what is drawing all the criticism. I doubt anyone cares who he plays for as long as he's playing well and fulfilling his potential.

Dr. Ogba
21/08/2007, 1:34 PM
That has nothing to do with it. His bad attitide, disrespect to fellow teammates and wasting his talent is what is drawing all the criticism. I doubt anyone cares who he plays for as long as he's playing well and fulfilling his potential.

Exactly...I couldn't care less who he plays for as long as he does the business for both club and country.

Sounds like he needs a good kick up the arse imho...

bellavistaman
21/08/2007, 1:59 PM
Exactly...I couldn't care less who he plays for as long as he does the business for both club and country.

Sounds like he needs a good kick up the arse imho...

Totally agree, no better man to give it to him too than Keano.

kingeric
21/08/2007, 3:18 PM
amen to that...

ah! so it's a bigot thing is it?

personally, i agree that stokes has been absolutely sh1te in his first two premiership matches, but i don't think any worse than Murphy was.

Yet it is Stokes who gets all the abuse??

There's too much pressure on the lad.

I think if Shane Long (as an example) that put those exact performances in, people would support him -saying he's just a young lad, he needs time to adjust, and that he done alright because he was playing out of position. The expectation on Stokes is greater because of the he went for.

Out of all Ireland's young forward prospects, i still think he has more talent than any. he's not just a grafter/ some one that will run all day- he has genuine talent. if people would get off his back,he might develop some degree of confidence and become a useful player.

Paddy Garcia
21/08/2007, 3:31 PM
I don't think he lacks confidence - the opposite if anything.

Wolfie
21/08/2007, 3:48 PM
Its down to an attitude problem at the moment. Not uncommon in some players of his age.

I remember a certain Andy Reid and Keith Foy being read the riot act at Forest. They were left in no uncertain terms that they had to knuckle down or clear off.

Andy Reid took notice, Keith Foy didn't.

Richard Dunne went through the same thing at City.

Even Keane had his incidents off the pitch - but the difference is he usually delivered while on the pitch.

Grasshopper 99
21/08/2007, 4:12 PM
Stokes and McShane werer in Club 92 in leopardstown, Dublin on Sunday Night, both were completly mangled.

paul_oshea
21/08/2007, 4:13 PM
Stokes and McShane werer in Club 92 in leopardstown, Dublin on Sunday Night, both were completly mangled.

whats that got to do with anything? Neither are playing for their country.

Though its nice to get some gossip :D

Maybe we should set up a player watch thread ;)

kingeric
21/08/2007, 4:40 PM
The difference is that Long is a grounded young lad, brought up playing hurling and he knows how lucky he is. He's at a club where his manager will keep his feet on the ground. Stokes isn't.

oh well if he's played hurling..? :confused:

i just wonder if any of this is first hand information or people jumping on the band-wagon, that's all. Personally I don't know either, I just feel some of the personal things said about a lad that's 18? 19? are a bit harsh. sure enough if he plays sh1te, comment on the performance, but going so far as there is almost a hate-club out for the boy is absolutely ridiculous.

paul_oshea
21/08/2007, 5:33 PM
oh well if he's played hurling..?

i just wonder if any of this is first hand information or people jumping on the band-wagon, that's all. Personally I don't know either, I just feel some of the personal things said about a lad that's 18? 19? are a bit harsh. sure enough if he plays sh1te, comment on the performance, but going so far as there is almost a hate-club out for the boy is absolutely ridiculous.

i know what he means, its a country thing ;) :p :D

Fingal hoop
21/08/2007, 6:19 PM
sounds to me like the traitor was acting like a .... well a traitor by trying to screw his country again

Fingal hoop
21/08/2007, 6:21 PM
Its down to an attitude problem at the moment. Not uncommon in some players of his age.

I remember a certain Andy Reid and Keith Foy being read the riot act at Forest. They were left in no uncertain terms that they had to knuckle down or clear off.

Andy Reid took notice, Keith Foy didn't.

Richard Dunne went through the same thing at City.

Even Keane had his incidents off the pitch - but the difference is he usually delivered while on the pitch.

that fat ***** reid took notice... you joking???

Jerry The Saint
21/08/2007, 6:31 PM

amen to that...

Nice theory but it doesn't explain why Sunderland fans would give him stick:confused:

hamburg paul
21/08/2007, 7:28 PM
Why isn't Stokes in the 1st team squad. Don Givens doesn't have a clue. He has been in that job since I can remember. As Ziggy says: "Simple As"

have to agree with you ,don givens is not the man for this job ,having just come back from game have to say that they were lucky not to get wiped ,time to get someone who people want to play for ,see you in aarhaus

bennocelt
21/08/2007, 7:45 PM
Givens is a terrible fool, it must be hard to play under such a bad manager
How the hell is he still in charge after all this time

I dont care about the Under 21's

dr_peepee
21/08/2007, 8:42 PM
Apparently Stoked took part in full training today with Sunderland.... Looks like we've another Thornton in our midst!!

Regardless of what you think of Givens, Stokes was out of order.

kingeric
21/08/2007, 9:03 PM
it's obvious Stokes wasn't injured. we all know Keane's views on international friendly matches though.

If Stokes and McShane were told the club would sort it, they expected the club to sort it.

Did McShane personally ring Givens? I Doubt it.

carloz
21/08/2007, 9:10 PM
He does seem to have an extreme attitude problem and his performances have been poor at best so far in the Premiership. Within 10 minutes of his premiership debut against Spurs Andy Gray was questioning him, saying he seemed a bit lazy and was not helping out Murphy at all, I get the feeling looking at him hat he thinks he has made the big time now and he is there to stay. A few hat tricks for a third rate Scottish team does not mean you have made it Stoksey. I really hope in a few years we wont be using the phrase 'What if..' when discussing him

eirebhoy
21/08/2007, 9:34 PM
Be interesting to know if he's got the attitude off the pitch as well.
He has also been interviewed on newstalk a few times and he seems like a decent mature guy to be honest. Here's an interview with him from a couple of months ago:
http://www.rte.ie/tv/obsport/20070528.html

biscuit
21/08/2007, 10:07 PM
another thing...what in goda good name was a player the quality of McShane being called in for a poxy u21 match given his talent and performances this season...hes a senior player now, end of...

NeilMcD
21/08/2007, 10:17 PM
Mc Shane was not called up for the U21 I think you have read that wrong.

biscuit
21/08/2007, 10:19 PM
apologies.....was thinkin that!! twas why i was so suprised!

kingeric
22/08/2007, 9:51 AM
http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer...554-qqqx=1.asp

When asked about the controversy yesterday, Anthony Stokes’ father – who advises a number of young players in England – insisted that his son had been forced to pull out with a groin injury.

Said John Stokes: “It was niggling him going into the game (against Wigan) and at half-time both Anthony and the manager (Roy Keane) agreed that he wouldn’t continue. That also ruled him out of the U-21 game.”

Pointedly, he added: “There’s a bit of history between Don Givens and Anthony. He has brought him in for the last couple of games and then hasn’t played him. He doesn’t seem to rate him at all. I’m not looking to have a swipe at Don Givens – he’s entitled to his opinion. But I think he’s being a bit harsh on Anthony.”

And Mr Stokes insisted that there was no question about his son’s commitment to playing for his country.

“I guarantee you that if Anthony was fit, he’d be in Germany now,” he said. “He has proven he always wants to play for Ireland. When he was called into the senior squad for the games in the US (in May), people advised him just to go there but he wanted to be involved with the U-19s as well (for their European Championship qualifiers) and so he played two games with them before travelling to the States.”

He added: “Now I’m reading in all the papers that Anthony has gone AWOL. That’s nonsense.”

*taken from Sunderland FC message board

bellavistaman
22/08/2007, 9:58 AM

When asked about the controversy yesterday, Anthony Stokes’ father – who advises a number of young players in England – insisted that his son had been forced to pull out with a groin injury.

Said John Stokes: “It was niggling him going into the game (against Wigan) and at half-time both Anthony and the manager (Roy Keane) agreed that he wouldn’t continue. That also ruled him out of the U-21 game.”

Pointedly, he added: “There’s a bit of history between Don Givens and Anthony. He has brought him in for the last couple of games and then hasn’t played him. He doesn’t seem to rate him at all. I’m not looking to have a swipe at Don Givens – he’s entitled to his opinion. But I think he’s being a bit harsh on Anthony.”

And Mr Stokes insisted that there was no question about his son’s commitment to playing for his country.

“I guarantee you that if Anthony was fit, he’d be in Germany now,” he said. “He has proven he always wants to play for Ireland. When he was called into the senior squad for the games in the US (in May), people advised him just to go there but he wanted to be involved with the U-19s as well (for their European Championship qualifiers) and so he played two games with them before travelling to the States.”

He added: “Now I’m reading in all the papers that Anthony has gone AWOL. That’s nonsense.”

I hate when parents get involved, it tells you then that the stuff is affecting the family, i dont think that should be happening then.

John83
22/08/2007, 10:02 AM
I hate when parents get involved, it tells you then that the stuff is affecting the family, i dont think that should be happening then.
He is his advisor (and agent?) as well as his dad.

pete
22/08/2007, 10:07 AM

I wonder is that where the problem lies....? Mixing family & business...

John83
22/08/2007, 10:14 AM
I wonder is that where the problem lies....? Mixing family & business...
Hey, works for Lewis Hamilton. :o;)

cheifo
22/08/2007, 10:29 AM
In fairness Stokes has always been enthusiastic about playing for Ireland at youth and senior level.Givens should really deal with these things in private.

bellavistaman
22/08/2007, 10:35 AM

Oh right thats different so. But in general i think its lousy when stories in papers are so ad they start to affect the family. Dont like that.

Givens should really deal with these things in private.

Agree with that

SunderlandBohs
22/08/2007, 10:46 AM
The difference between Stokes & Murphy is Murph will give a 100%, Stokes won't. That's why people aren't getting on Murphy's back.

Bungle
22/08/2007, 10:56 AM
The difference between Stokes & Murphy is Murph will give a 100%, Stokes won't. That's why people aren't getting on Murphy's back.

What is the general view on Murphy up there SunderlandBohs? I really like the look of him and think he has a good future.

Don't know where to stand on the Stokes issue. I'm inclined to think that all three parties (Keane, Givens and Stokes) are all somewhat responsible.

kingeric
22/08/2007, 11:01 AM

agreed. Stoke's father suggests that Given's doesn't like him. Given's has also fallen out with a couple of other lads.

Suggestion in the times that maybe Stokes was just caught in the middle of a war of words between Keane and the FAI

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/answers-needed-as-stokes-is-caught-in-the-middle-1063434.html

Calcio Jack
22/08/2007, 11:19 AM

From years of observing father and son.... IMO Anthony is a chip off the old block and therein is the answer to his 'attitude' problem.... anyone remember Stokes snrs comments about how wenger was playing the boy out of position etc.... IMO Wenger getting £2m for him was one of the smartest deals ever

SunderlandBohs
22/08/2007, 12:08 PM
What is the general view on Murphy up there SunderlandBohs? I really like the look of him and think he has a good future.

Don't know where to stand on the Stokes issue. I'm inclined to think that all three parties (Keane, Givens and Stokes) are all somewhat responsible.
Murphy is well liked up there. Very popular with the fans. One of the unsung heroes last season & got his fair share of goals, some important ones at that mind! A lot of people think he can be a good player for years to come at the club. I don't know if he can make the grand to the prem but I hope he does. He deserves it. A player with the right atitude.

shaneker
22/08/2007, 4:46 PM
I've got the impresson so far this season that Stokes looks like he's very much in the comfort zone, he's worth 2 million, he's in the Premier League, club with great support, I'm sure he's on bloody good money, working for a manager most Irish players see as some kind of deity. Little bit too comfortable for football at this level.

The solution? Drop the boy, stick him in the reserves and tell him that until he starts scoring goals and working for the team thats it for his Premier League season. Realistically, he should be scoring at least 2 goals every 3 games in the reserve league if he is 'that' good. If that doesn't work, send him out on loan to a Championship or League 1 (or LOI, now THAT would be funny!) club. If 6 months of that doesn't improve him - lights out, Mr Stokes exit stage right.

I think I proper kick up the arse is what he needs, just because his manager needs to see how he responds, and then we'll know if all the hype (because we were all bloody excited when those back-to-back hat-tricks were flying in!) will ever be fulfilled.

Oh, and as regards this injury issue, if Roy is having that kind of an influence on Irish players at Sunderland (i.e. a large contingent regularly missing friendlies) somebody will notice and have a word, its not like Man Utd or Chelsea or one of the other massive clubs that own modern-day football, Sunderland can't rely on their cash and high contacts to get them out of jail.

Givens is a muppet. I'd love to see a new U-21 coach - but who?

Kingdom
22/08/2007, 5:04 PM
Plenty of good candidates out there. No worse than Sean McCaffrey. Why not Brian Kerr?