PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

pete
19/01/2007, 11:14 PM
Morrison has usually upped his game for Ireland but he has done very little in the last 2 years at International & club level. Basically Keane & Doyle are the first choice & big list of players need to stake claim for the 3rd & 4th places in the squad.

FarBeag
20/01/2007, 4:34 PM
Connolly scored again to-day for Sunderland. Stokes did not even make the bench for some reason hope ,he hasn’t fallen out with Roy all-ready

eirebhoy
20/01/2007, 5:09 PM
He had a groin injury apparantly. Pity he didn't play today as chances are he would have scored judging by the result.

dodgycanadian
10/02/2007, 3:50 PM
anyone see the goal stokes scored today?

FootballsKing
10/02/2007, 5:05 PM
20 yard unstoppable drive is what i heard

Paddy Garcia
11/02/2007, 10:45 AM
Excellent strike, it seems ages since we had anyone who could hit the ball with that kind of venom.

Lionel Ritchie
11/02/2007, 10:50 AM
Connolly took his goal very, very well too yesterday.

Irish_Praha
11/02/2007, 10:58 AM
eleven-a-side have a short review of the Sunderland goals
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=26462

SeaniesRedArmy
11/02/2007, 11:08 AM
stokes scored with his first touch

kingeric
11/02/2007, 11:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUqEf8kxjEc

great strike...impressive when he came on vs san marino on wed too, would like to have seen him on for at least a half hour though..

as_i_say
12/02/2007, 12:58 PM
would be a connolly fan myself but as report on sky he's a lad who has scored 106 goals and 95 of them in the championship-he's just been one of those lads that hasnt reproduced goal scoring form for his country even in his limited appearances.

doubt we'll see him again for ireland unless we have a spate of injuries-particularly the smaller lads-stokes/keane

Irish_Praha
12/02/2007, 1:12 PM
would be a connolly fan myself but as report on sky he's a lad who has scored 106 goals and 95 of them in the championship-he's just been one of those lads that hasnt reproduced goal scoring form for his country even in his limited appearances.

doubt we'll see him again for ireland unless we have a spate of injuries-particularly the smaller lads-stokes/keane

Stokes is 5ft11 so actually one of our taller strikers. I'm not sure if he's a decent header of the ball though.

tetsujin1979
12/02/2007, 2:37 PM
I actually thought Keogh could be a decent target man from the B game against Scotland

Irish_Praha
12/02/2007, 3:02 PM
I actually thought Keogh could be a decent target man from the B game against Scotland

Didn't realise that he is 6ft until now. He has lots of assists for Billy Sharp's goals at S****horpe alright but for some reason I thought he was another nippy small lad. Must have been because the clip on youtube showed him mostly scoring with his feet. Maybe he can work on improving his heading abillity as he's only a young lad, same for Stokes.
http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=39039

Qwerty
27/02/2007, 2:03 AM
Positive review of Stokes from a former pro: http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2022101,00.html

eirebhoy
27/02/2007, 9:21 AM
Did anyone read his Star column yesterday? It'd be interesting to see what he had to say about not being in the weekends squad.

Collyontour
27/02/2007, 9:25 AM
Did anyone read his Star column yesterday? It'd be interesting to see what he had to say about not being in the weekends squad.

He said basically that he didn't talk about internal club matters but a lot said in the press wasn't true. He also said how great Roy Keane was

geysir
27/02/2007, 11:16 AM
He said basically that he didn't talk about internal club matters but a lot said in the press wasn't true. He also said how great Roy Keane was
An important starting point statement if any reconciliation was needed.

kingeric
03/03/2007, 10:40 PM
i think the fact he played 90mins today puts this latest attempt to shoot stokes down again to bed..

eirebhoy
04/03/2007, 12:40 PM
Looks like he played on the left wing again.

co. down green
04/03/2007, 2:17 PM
Keane on Stokes yesterday:

It was slick and one-touch, with the pace provided by Anthony Stokes. The former Arsenal striker was used on the flank and there was a moment near the end that offered an insight into Keane's managerial approach. With his side 2-1 up and needing only to retain possession as the 90th minute approached, the 18-year-old attempted a dribble and lost the ball. Then he did it again. Keane called him over for a word. But instead of raging at him, Stokes received a thumbs up and was told he was doing fine. 'He's naive, but who isn't at 18?' Keane said. 'But I thought Stokesy was different class.

drummerboy
05/03/2007, 7:15 AM
Interesting to see Keane is playing Stokes on the wing. Word had it, that one of the reasons Stokes left Arsenal was because Wenger envisaged grooming Stokes to play in the wide positions, something that didn't sit easily with Stokes and his advisers.

drinkfeckarse
05/03/2007, 9:11 AM
He'd do well to take the advice of someone who has been there and done it though. He'll get his chance up front again no doubt.

gustavo
05/03/2007, 10:19 AM
He'd do well to take the advice of someone who has been there and done it though. He'll get his chance up front again no doubt.
Well he already went against the wishes of a man with infinitely more managerial experience than Keane if drummerboy is to be believed.

drinkfeckarse
05/03/2007, 10:38 AM
Well he already went against the wishes of a man with infinitely more managerial experience than Keane if drummerboy is to be believed.

As much as Arsene Wenger should be revered and respected, he hasn't been there and done it as a player and that counts as a lot as a player.

A lot of people would be in total awe of Keane, more so young players.

tetsujin1979
05/03/2007, 11:44 AM
Moyes did the same thing with Rooney for a while, let him play on the wing to get used to playing in the first team, and to take the pressure of scoring off him.

gustavo
05/03/2007, 4:23 PM
As much as Arsene Wenger should be revered and respected, he hasn't been there and done it as a player and that counts as a lot as a player.

A lot of people would be in total awe of Keane, more so young players.

All very well and good if Keane and Wenger were both still players but they arent , they are managers and Wengers record is impeccable

zinedineontour
06/03/2007, 4:19 PM
Think Stokes will be used on the wing for a bit now with Carlos Edwards injured .. Might not be his preferred position but just good to see him playing to be honest.. Hopefully he will start knocking a few goals in as well. Did alright on sat just a bit niave but expected from an 18yr old .

drinkfeckarse
08/03/2007, 8:14 AM
All very well and good if Keane and Wenger were both still players but they arent , they are managers and Wengers record is impeccable

Of course Wengers record is impeccable, I'm not trying to say Keane is anywhere near Wenger in the managerial stakes. My point is that it is understandable though for young players to more in awe of Keane than Wenger simply because the boys can remember Keane winning the lot and being the man. In a logical world it wouldn't make sense :)

Paddy Garcia
10/03/2007, 11:59 AM
I think he & a couple of others missed the bus yesterday.

Apparently they have been left behind & dropped.

I don't think you would find a young Roy Keane doing that !!

However it is apparently the second time Stokes has been in troublefor time keeping inthe last couple of weeks. If they don't win today I suspect Roy will be furious.

eirebhoy
10/03/2007, 1:10 PM
Stokes, Hysen and some other guy were 4 minutes late for the bus yesterday so they're dropped today. Strict by Keane but it's working so far.

Billsthoughts
10/03/2007, 2:40 PM
they won 2-nil with connoly scoring again...

pete
10/03/2007, 2:59 PM
Stokes, Hysen and some other guy were 4 minutes late for the bus yesterday so they're dropped today. Strict by Keane but it's working so far.

Maybe not the type needed for Ireland squad going forward.

If he can't get into the Sunderland team then I think needs to be dropped as more worthy players for Ireland squad. How many games has he started for Sunderland anyway?

FootballsKing
10/03/2007, 3:29 PM
when stokes is fit and out of trouble he has always started for sunderland. no doubt the most gifted player in their squad just prone to a bit off messing, which will sort itself out in time

eirebhoy
10/03/2007, 4:34 PM
Pete, Stokes will make it. No doubt about it. :)

reder
10/03/2007, 6:10 PM
when stokes is fit and out of trouble he has always started for sunderland. no doubt the most gifted player in their squad just prone to a bit off messing, which will sort itself out in time

Whats his goals per game ratio at the moment?

FootballsKing
10/03/2007, 7:00 PM
well if you mean this season he has scored 17 goals in about 25 games so if you want to do the maths?

zenokelly
10/03/2007, 7:02 PM
well if you mean this season he has scored 17 goals in about 25 games so if you want to do the maths?

He's scored more than that

Kivlehan
10/03/2007, 7:50 PM
Remember this is just an 18 year old. If he wants to live up to his talent and be a star at the highest level, Keane is the perfect guy to drill discipline into him. There may be a few examples like this as he learns what is necessary at the highest level from someone who excelled there. If he's a smart and driven kid, Keane will be the perfect mentor to get the best out of him and get him to respond. If he is not smart and driven, over time it will be revealed under Keane.

eirebhoy
10/03/2007, 9:01 PM
Whats his goals per game ratio at the moment?
He's not playing up front for Sunderland atm so that's pretty pointless. He reads the game too well to be a flop. Many players are meant to be the next big thing and most of them end up in mediocrocy but it's clear Stokes has the ability, intelligience and certainly won't be affected much by confidence. He's a player we can say for sure has a relatively (in Irish terms) big future imo.

Noelys Guitar
11/03/2007, 1:39 AM
I rate Stokes highly and he definetely is not one of the might have could have beens. And in Keane he has the perfect manager to help him develop properly.

3 Heroes
11/03/2007, 2:08 AM
Christ almighty if i was Stokes ma or pa or agent then I'd kick the sh1te out of him and make him play to his standard:mad:

pete
11/03/2007, 11:21 AM
I rate Stokes highly and he definetely is not one of the might have could have beens. And in Keane he has the perfect manager to help him develop properly.

He is still unproven for International level. He has never scored a league goal against better team that bottom half of the SPL.

The Stokes story shows everything that is wrong with the irish media & Ireland football fan - hype, hype, hype.

:rolleyes:

tricky_colour
11/03/2007, 1:00 PM
I am sure he will score a lot of 'late' winners for Ireland in his time :D

limerickblue
11/03/2007, 5:15 PM
Well at least we dont hype as much as the english, did anybody see the chelsea v spurs match today. we didnt watch the match to be shown D.Beckham about 8 times

eirebhoy
11/03/2007, 5:30 PM
He is still unproven for International level. He has never scored a league goal against better team that bottom half of the SPL.

The Stokes story shows everything that is wrong with the irish media & Ireland football fan - hype, hype, hype.

:rolleyes:
Not at all Pete. It doesn't matter who the opposition is, you should still be able to spot a good player. Stokes has it all imo.

Jerry The Saint
11/03/2007, 6:00 PM
I think he & a couple of others missed the bus yesterday.

Apparently they have been left behind & dropped.

I don't think you would find a young Roy Keane doing that !!

However it is apparently the second time Stokes has been in troublefor time keeping inthe last couple of weeks. If they don't win today I suspect Roy will be furious.

Stokes was late for the bus but the important thing is that he had the last laugh. Apparently he said something irrelevant about Keane's footballing ability (criticised his heading or something). Sure put Roy in his place! LEGEND.

zinedineontour
11/03/2007, 9:37 PM
was at the game yday and connolly was outstanding . His all round play was super and took his goal very well . Has to be called up to the Ireland squad on the form he is in. Stokes must be the thickest gob****e in existence and hopefully he will cop on soon enough . this is the third time he has been in trouble in his short time at sunderland. Has the potential but seems to think he is the dogs ****** but hopefully keane will get the best out of him. I thought his parents would have kept him grounded. Hopefully he wont have any more mishaps before end of season and be in the papers for the right reason

dodgycanadian
11/03/2007, 11:18 PM
parents kept him grounded? his dad is a ****e head. is only working in football because of his son. his dad thinks he is the be all and end all of irish football. hes banned from cherry orchard's grounds for stealing the entire u-18 team a couple years ago and also was touting stokes to both man united and arsenal when he was a kid. had a deal ligned up with man united then called arsenal's reps looking for a better deal. roy needs to give him a good kick up the arse, have him play with the reserves for a few weeks

stojkovic
11/03/2007, 11:28 PM
Anyone banned from the Orchard can't be all bad.

It's ironic they are taking that stand over poaching when they've been experts at it for forty years.

What goes around...etc etc

PS Is it the U11's that went to Shels 7 years ago that you refer to. Stokes jnr being the star.