PDA

View Full Version : Richard Dunne

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

eirebhoy
06/02/2005, 5:20 PM
I didn't see if he got the official man of the match but he was by far and away the best outfield player on the pitch today. That's Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U he has got man of the match against. I've always said I didn't want to break the O'Brien-Cunningham partnership as they've been superb for us but Dunne's form is too hard to ignore.

Kowalski
06/02/2005, 6:17 PM
No doubt about it, he was man of the match today and sky gave it to him surprisingly enough when you consider they tend to favour english players in their motm choices and with james last couple of saves, i wouldnt of been surpirised if they gave it to him.
I think he's having a great season & reckon he is a better player than O'Brien & would trust Dunne a lot more against a world class striker

Condex
06/02/2005, 6:27 PM
On current form Dunne has to be in the team, O'Brien is far from first choice at Newcastle and usually when reading reports of games hes played in and his name is mentioned, the word mistake is not too far away.

eirebhoy
06/02/2005, 6:34 PM
Dunne's last 5 ratings from Sky (even Duffer rarely gets 8 and 9's these days):

9 - 9 - 8 - 8 - 9

"Immense at the back"
"Impressive throughout"
"Rock at the back"
"Outstanding performance"
"Solid in defence"

Best form centre half in the premiership without a doubt.

Daxion
06/02/2005, 9:02 PM
Will be interesting to see how he plays in the Manc. derby next weekend.

adamcarr
06/02/2005, 9:28 PM
He had an absolute stormer today. His las second tackle on Gudjohnsen near the end was amazing!

onenilgameover
06/02/2005, 10:20 PM
Dunne has been unstoppable and O'Brien of late has had the first touch of a pinball machine surely Dunne has to make the starting eleven on Wed with the possibility of playing the pairing in Tel Aviv....

on_me_head_son
07/02/2005, 5:08 AM
Dunne has been unstoppable and O'Brien of late has had the first touch of a pinball machine surely Dunne has to make the starting eleven on Wed with the possibility of playing the pairing in Tel Aviv....

Agreed. Dunne was outstanding against Chelsea and has been playing well all season. He's lost a lot of weight and seems much leaner. He has become more mobile as well I'd say. He should start against Portugal.

Stuttgart88
07/02/2005, 6:58 AM
Agreed with all of the above. He's been MOTM against MUFC, Arsenal and now Chelsea so far this year. 5 Live waxed lyrical about his performance at Highbury in January.

That tackle on Gudjonssen near the end was exactly the same tackle he made on Kluivert in the last minutes in Amsterdam in 2000 if anyone remembers.

Just as well he's on form. O'Brien's error gave Charlton their equaliser, Kenny gave MUFC one of their goals and, despite a well-taken goal, Doherty looked a disaster at the back for Norwich.

Junior
07/02/2005, 11:07 AM
That tackle on Gudjonssen near the end was exactly the same tackle he made on Kluivert in the last minutes in Amsterdam in 2000 if anyone remembers.

Absoloutely!! you took the post right off my keyboard :D

Duncan Gardner
07/02/2005, 11:10 AM
Aye, the big man had Eidur down in his pocket all afternoon :(

eirebhoy
07/02/2005, 11:49 AM
Well I think its certain that Gudjonsson will be voting Dunne in the premiership team of the year. :) Dunne would be really highly rated worldwide after getting MOM against the top 3.

tetsujin1979
07/02/2005, 12:02 PM
He did a similar marking job on Jon Carew when Norway played in Brian Kerr's first home game as Ireland manager. This was when Carew was playing out of his skin in the champion's league and primera liga for Valencia and Dunne was starting to get his act together for Man City.

ken foree
07/02/2005, 1:03 PM
not convinced of his pace over the first yard or two but he certainly makes ammends with some superb tackling. overall play looks a revelation too, very happy for him!

tetsujin1979
07/02/2005, 1:06 PM
not convinced of his pace over the first yard or two but he certainly makes ammends with some superb tackling. overall play looks a revelation too, very happy for him!

Tell that to Thierry Henry!! Kept him quiet in the game at Highbury. Over the first 5 yards he's deceptively fast for a bloke his size.

ken foree
07/02/2005, 1:12 PM
whoa

"After the weekend’s Premiership action, City can boast the third best defensive record in the top flight, behind just the top two, Chelsea and Manchester United."

tetsujin1979
07/02/2005, 1:18 PM
whoa

"After the weekend’s Premiership action, City can boast the third best defensive record in the top flight, behind just the top two, Chelsea and Manchester United."

Technically it's joint third with Liverpool and Everton, all on 27 goals conceded. Check it out here (http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/glsagst.html)

eirebhoy
07/02/2005, 1:24 PM
Tell that to Thierry Henry!! Kept him quiet in the game at Highbury. Over the first 5 yards he's deceptively fast for a bloke his size.
Aye, not just fast for a person of his size but fast in comparison to the average premiership footballer.

eirebhoy
07/02/2005, 1:56 PM
bit early but I've already voted Dunne for player of the month. :)

http://www.givemefootball.com/fansplayer/monthindex.html

tetsujin1979
07/02/2005, 2:06 PM
More on how well he did against Chelsea, and the season in general on the man city rivals site here (http://manchestercity.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=914&p=2&stid=8372602)

Kevin77
08/02/2005, 12:03 AM

I can never work out where this misconception comes from. He’s quick…full stop. Just ‘cos he’s a monster, people instantly assume he’s slow.

ken foree
08/02/2005, 11:49 AM
never said he was slow, as he's demonstrated pace when he's up to speed. but a smaller quick striker might have a half yard on him coz of his size? hey it's a case where i'd be gladly proven wrong, etc. i saw a joe royle interview where he said 'big dunney could be anything' and always hoped for the best for him :D

Slash/ED
08/02/2005, 2:17 PM
I'm not his biggest fan but you can't really look beyond him at this stage. O'Brien and Cunningham have been excellent together but O'Briens been patchy this season at club level and Cunningham hasn't got much longer imo, so he should get the full 90 against Portugal. He deserves a proper chance and yeah that tackle against Gudjohnsen was almost identical to the one against Kluivert in Amsterdam.

tetsujin1979
17/12/2008, 2:50 PM
Dunne misses out on Man City's UEFA Cup gaming against Racing Santander, after his wife gave birth to a baby boy this morning: http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6624185
Congratulations to new mother and father

paul_oshea
17/12/2008, 3:08 PM
huh? is she a month overdue?

tetsujin1979
17/01/2009, 3:21 PM
Sent off against Wigan today, from the live text commentary on sky sports, it looks like he kicked out at Zaki after he was elbowed by the Wigan striker

Pauro 76
17/01/2009, 3:38 PM
Own goals, sendings off, he's having a 'mare of a season.

Denis The Red
17/01/2009, 10:51 PM
It's funny, if his name was "Christiano" or "Wayne" he would have got away with that today.
Unlike Richie but you still can't condone it.

tetsujin1979
18/01/2009, 12:58 AM
it was a definite sending off, Zaki knocked him to the ground, Dunne lashed out with his boot in front of the ref. Zaki did make the best of it, but it was never going to be anything other than a sending off. Automatic four game suspension now seeing as it's his second red card of the season.

Colbert Report
18/01/2009, 1:51 AM
Where can one find the rules regarding suspensions for cards?

tetsujin1979
18/01/2009, 1:58 AM
Rules and regulations: http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesAndRegulations/
Disciplinary procedures and announcements: http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary/

irishfan86
18/01/2009, 5:23 AM
I'm a big Richard Dunne fan but that was lunacy. Why would you do it?

Saint07
18/01/2009, 10:15 AM
wont have a game now before the Georgia match!

Allstar
18/01/2009, 10:24 AM
Is it just me or is that his 3rd red card this season??

tetsujin1979
18/01/2009, 12:01 PM
Is it just me or is that his 3rd red card this season??
Second, he was sent off against Spurs in November as well

kingdomkerry
18/01/2009, 2:03 PM
I still think he's a great defender!

tetsujin1979
18/01/2009, 2:12 PM
I read that that's his 8th red card and it makes him a joint record holder for the most red cards in the history of the premier league.
Yeah, joint with Vieira and Duncan Ferguson

Ordinary Fan
18/01/2009, 2:23 PM
Getting no sleep with baby is making him cranky!

Allstar
18/01/2009, 6:02 PM
He was sent off in the final game of last season so his suspension carried over to the start of this season, thats probably what you're thinking of.

I read that that's his 8th red card and it makes him a joint record holder for the most red cards in the history of the premier league. I think he's one of if not the highest own goal scorer too.

Spot on thats exactly what I was thinking.

Ya I reckon he'll smash that record ha

Torn-Ado
18/01/2009, 7:59 PM
Yeah, joint with Vieira and Duncan Ferguson

Surely our own Royston would be up there.

WexCar
18/01/2009, 8:08 PM
yep, he is down as having 6 red cards

tricky_colour
18/01/2009, 9:25 PM
wont have a game now before the Georgia match!

Might not be a bad thing, should guarantee he is fit and raring to go.

Incidently anyone know how many times he has ben sent off for Ireland?

I can't seem to recall any, but with my memory that is not saying a lot!

Google has a better memory though, sent off in the 5-2 defeat to Cyprus.

That seems to be the only one.

Crosby87
27/01/2009, 11:46 AM
Article on Soccernet says Dunne is a shadow of his former self and could be swapped for Given.
I dont watch as much as you all, is he really that much off last years performance?

irishfan86
27/01/2009, 6:09 PM
Article on Soccernet says Dunne is a shadow of his former self and could be swapped for Given.
I dont watch as much as you all, is he really that much off last years performance?

I'm a Dunne fan but he's been pretty atrocious this season.

Own goals, sendings off...just a lot of stupid decisions, and as we all know, decision making is one of the most important things about being a centre-half.

What I will say in his defense is that he is having to babysit Micah Richards in the centre of defense, and Man City's system is so offensive that he is constantly exposed.

Kompany is not good enough to shield in that kind of offensive system, and Dunne is being stretched unnecessarily.

Contrast that to last year, where Sven played a defensively responsible system where the midfielders shielded the defense well, especially Hamann.

My evaluation: If Hughes wants to play that kind of system, he needs a world-class defensive/holding midfielder, and a world-class centre-half to play alongside Dunne.

Goalkeeping also needs an upgrade so I can understand them going after Given.

tricky_colour
27/01/2009, 6:31 PM

He has just crept back into the Actim Top 100 at no 100, so I don't think
he is finished, looks like he is on the way back.

tetsujin1979
16/04/2009, 8:32 PM
Another sending off tonight for Dunne.
Two yellow cards, one in the first half, second midway through the second.
He was warned by the ref just before half time after a clumsy challenge that another challenge like that would result in a red. Slid in hard on the left winger, completely missed the ball and was shown the second yellow followed by the red.
That's three sendings off in one season.

richieos
16/04/2009, 8:42 PM
it was always coming aswell, completely wreckless

geysir
16/04/2009, 10:56 PM
Did I miss something with the second yellow?
I thought it looked a soft enough yellow, blatant obstruction sure, but nothing that would damage anybody's health in a month of sundays, compared to Ireland's uncarded lunge which could have been a leg breaker.
Without Dunne, City looked spineless out the field (means Givens excepted).

richieos
16/04/2009, 11:47 PM
Did I miss something with the second yellow?
I thought it looked a soft enough yellow, blatant obstruction sure, but nothing that would damage anybody's health in a month of sundays, compared to Ireland's uncarded lunge which could have been a leg breaker.
Without Dunne, City looked spineless out the field (means Givens excepted).

dunne was on his final warning before that booking, he really should have got his second yellow in the first half to be honest

an_ceannaire
17/04/2009, 8:51 AM
What is wrong with him.....!!!:eek:
he would be behind your Jagielkas/Lescotts/Laursens and probably even your Lucas Neils these days :(