PDA

View Full Version : Limerick Desmond League 2012/13

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

last man back
16/01/2013, 11:15 PM
Hasn't kelliher already won a league with abbeyfeale. I agree with snafu winning something with a crowd of strangers will never mean as much as winning with your mates, I think some of these lads will realise this in a couple of years

fanaticfan
17/01/2013, 12:05 AM
Yeah he won the league twice in past 6 years but realised that abbey can't win the league this year and has a better chance with broadford

soccer8
17/01/2013, 12:12 AM
dont know what the big issue is with people moving clubs......it happens all the time in the Limerick city league and when it happens here in the Desmond League a huge deal is made of it.......

Langerdan007
17/01/2013, 9:28 AM
There is far less affiliation with clubs in the city
Its a sort of by product of GAA where everyone (to a degree) plays with their own parish - by extension then they are expected to row in with whatever soccer team is in the parish regardless of the standard
This is why people make an issue in the Desmond league of fella's moving around

The other point made about winning with the lads you grew up with is very valid - When you win with your own there will always be "That time" to talk about - in the pub or at any occasion where all the lads meet up - I played underage for a couple of seasons in the city as the team at home wasn't really going anywhere but at the end of the day only I know or remember any of those seasons/wins - Winning a Hogan Cup or a league title with the lads is always remembered

dutchie
17/01/2013, 11:13 AM
There is far less affiliation with clubs in the city
Its a sort of by product of GAA where everyone (to a degree) plays with their own parish - by extension then they are expected to row in with whatever soccer team is in the parish regardless of the standard
This is why people make an issue in the Desmond league of fella's moving around

The other point made about winning with the lads you grew up with is very valid - When you win with your own there will always be "That time" to talk about - in the pub or at any occasion where all the lads meet up - I played underage for a couple of seasons in the city as the team at home wasn't really going anywhere but at the end of the day only I know or remember any of those seasons/wins - Winning a Hogan Cup or a league title with the lads is always remembered

Would agree with most of your post Langer,one point i picket up on was you moved into town as home team were a mess and i feel if Abbey or any other team has there house and team in order the players will stay,if players go its normally because of little or no training or teamates on the beer on sat. night etc.

skybluelimk
17/01/2013, 9:00 PM
Southern kid... I think his def right on that 1 ... That ncw team that got beat 10 Nil was def worse than rovers team at min... They where just unlucky to lose a few big players at the start of season ... But they look to have best youth team around so not looking too bad when they move into new pitch... Where abouts in ncw is there new place?

fanaticfan
17/01/2013, 9:40 PM
best of luck to the 3 teams playing in the munster junior this weekend.hope get some wins. speedy recovery to ray lynch and john paul king who will be out for a good few weeks with injuries.

celticlads
17/01/2013, 10:08 PM
best of luck to the 3 teams playing in the munster junior this weekend.hope get some wins. speedy recovery to ray lynch and john paul king who will be out for a good few weeks with injuries.

do those 2 lads play with broadford ?

fanaticfan
18/01/2013, 3:48 AM
Yeah two big players missing for them but have plenty of replacements to cover for them

fanaticfan
18/01/2013, 10:20 AM
Munster Junior Cup 5th round draw.

(A) College Cors or Ballingarry v Kanturk or Killarney Celtic.

(B) Killumney Utd or Ballynanty Rovers v St.Michaels or Greenwood.

(C) Bridge Utd or Douglas Hall v Newport Town or Avondale Utd. (

D) Coachford or Caherconlish v Connolly Celtic or Pike Rovers.

(E) Hospital Crudaders or Clonmel Celtic v Nenagh Celtic or Broadford Utd.

(F) Hibernians or Cahir Park v Park Utd or Cloughjordan.

(G) Carew Park or Newcastle West Rovers v Everton or Ringmahon Rgs or Newmarket Celtic.

(H) Janesboro or Kilreen Celtic v Southend or Villa FC

fanaticfan
18/01/2013, 10:21 AM
Quarter-Final draw.

E v H.

B v F

G v A

C v D.

celticlads
18/01/2013, 10:39 AM
Yeah two big players missing for them but have plenty of replacements to cover for them

we are missing our center back(suspended) and our left back is strugglin with a hamstring injury, is the lad that signed form abbey cup tied ?

fanaticfan
18/01/2013, 12:02 PM
Yeah he is cup tied as he played against newcastle west in a earlier round.

Desmonder
19/01/2013, 11:28 AM
It is a tough one to call about whether to stay loyal to local underperforming club, or join a more prominent club. To be honest, I think it is a good sign of a person wanting to have the ambition to seek new challenge and get out of comfort zone! One should always try to punch above their weight!! It is similar to your job, a new challenge is always good. If you leave on good terms, can always come back. Most likely come back as a better player, new experiences to share, etc. It is also a wake up call to the club, and maybe they will get their act together to hold onto good players! Also, it may cause rest of team to up their game, as it is a snub to have your best players leave!!
I do agree about the pub-talk and celebrating past glories, but at end of day - pub talk is only ramesh! (I know I am kind of contradicting myself there)
It seems as though Broadford really have a good thing going at the moment!!

Draper
19/01/2013, 4:21 PM
I heard all games have been called off can anyone confirm this?
What about MJC games?

Draper
19/01/2013, 4:28 PM
I heard all games have been called off can anyone confirm this?
What about MJC games?

Actualy I have just seen it....alll Desmond games sensibley are off tomorow except the MJC games, at least the MJC games arent off yet anyway....

Have It
20/01/2013, 2:57 PM
Rovers 6 down last i heard. Any other scores?

Draper
20/01/2013, 3:12 PM
Rovers 6 down last i heard. Any other scores?

Broadford 1:1 in Nenagh....gone to Extra time....

Have It
20/01/2013, 3:17 PM
I am hearing Ballingarry won 4-1 too. Super result if so

fanaticfan
20/01/2013, 3:19 PM
Keep up updated draper

Draper
20/01/2013, 3:29 PM
Keep up updated draper

Result from Nenagh....Broadford lost 2:1 in extra time....

fanaticfan
20/01/2013, 3:33 PM
Ah unlucky to broadford and ncw rovers. Well done to ballingary if they won 4-1

Have It
20/01/2013, 3:34 PM
Pity. Well done to Ballingarry though on keeping the flag flying

sexyfootball
20/01/2013, 5:49 PM
Well done to Ballingarry on reaching the last 16 if that result is correct!
Hard luck on both Broadford and Rovers, great achievement on getting that far though.

fanaticfan
20/01/2013, 6:13 PM
ballingarry won 4-1. They are at home to killarney celtic in the 5th round.killarney celtic beat kanturk 8-0 in their 4th round game

skyhome
20/01/2013, 7:44 PM
what the hell was the blanket cancellation for today in the desmond league disgraceful decision not to play any games

fanaticfan
20/01/2013, 9:29 PM
Limerick district game were all off since friday. The pitchs would have been destroyed if games were played today

western gale
20/01/2013, 11:47 PM
Saturday, January 26th

Munster Youths Cup 4th Round (et & pens)
Newcastle West Rovers V Tramore AFC in Clounreask 230pm (P. O’Connor, T. Fitzmaurice, D. Wallace)

Limerick Desmond U17 Cup QF (et & pens)
Broadford Utd V Rathkeale 2pm (B. Nash)

Youths Division 1 League Cup QF (et & pens)
Abbeyfeale Utd V Adare Utd 2pm (P. King)

Youths Division 2, all 230pm
Pallaskenry V Feenagh (L. O’Connor)
Bally Rovers V Creeves Celtic (P. Manning)
Breska Rovers V Askeaton (P. O’Brien)
Carrig Celtic V St Itas (J. Molyneaux)
Ferry Rangers V Glantine (C. Dalton)

Sunday, January 27th

Division 2 League Cup QFs (et & pens)
Feenagh V Creeves Celtic 2pm (T. Fitzmaurice)
Rathkeale Reserves V Pallaskenry 2pm (P. O’Connor)
Abbeyfeale Utd B V Granagh Utd 2pm (E. Barrett)
Newcastle West B V Broadford Utd B 2pm (J. Roche)

Division 3 League Cup SF 1st Leg (90 min)
Knockaderry V Ferry Rangers 230 (C. Dalton)

Division 4 League Cup QF 1st Leg (90 min)
St Itas B V Glin Rovers B 230 (J. Molyneaux)

Division 4 League Cup QF 2nd Leg, (et & pens if required)
Creeves Celtic B V Bally Rovers 1130 (L. O’Connor) (Bally Rovers 4-0, 1st Leg)

Premier Division
Shannonside V Rathkeale 1130 in Aughinish (G. O’Connor)
Carrig Celtic V Newcastle West Rovers 1130 (P. O’Brien)
Ballingarry V Abbeyfeale Utd 1130 (T. Fitzmaurice)
Killeaney V Broadford Utd 1130 (D. O’Gorman)
Glin Rovers V Newcastle West 1130 (P. Manning)

Division 1
Glantine V Rockhill Rovers 1130 (P. King)
Old Mill V Kilcornan 1130 (J. Roche)
Adare Utd V Breska Rovers 230 (G. O’Connor)
Kildimo Utd V St Itas 1130 (B. Nash)
Athea Utd V Askeaton 230 (S. Hartnett)

Division 2
Ballysteen V Carrig Celtic B 230 (L. O’Connor)

Division 3
Kilcornan B V Ballingarry B 230 (D. O’Gorman)

Division 4
Shannonside B V Shountrade 230 in Shanagolden (D. Wallace)

southern kid
22/01/2013, 11:01 AM
Some very dissapointing results in m.j at the wknd,rovers result was not a shock but broadford losing by all accounts to a very ordinary tipp side. I thought they would take them handy enough especially with there big squad. some big games in prem this wknd, ncw away to glin and brfd away to killeaney.Also rovers have a big one against carrig. Super result by ballingarry last wk and they should be well capable of turning over killarney in nxt round.

last man back
22/01/2013, 5:30 PM
Good win alrite are they an outside bet for the league !!!

fanaticfan
23/01/2013, 11:09 AM
Some good games this weekend. Shannonside vs rathkeale,glin vs ncw and ballingarry vs abbeyfeale. Didn't glin draw with ncw this season already? Rathkeale on a high after winning 5-0 two weeks ago

sexyfootball
23/01/2013, 4:42 PM
Some good games this weekend alright - Glin and Newcastle drew this season already alright and 'tis always a tough place to go and get a result. Broadford should beat Killeaney handy enough.
Big match for Rovers against Carrig, if they win they would fancy their chances in staying up.

last man back
23/01/2013, 11:28 PM
Anybody know what's happening as regards fixtures in div 3. There's only 5 teams in it, are they leaving it at playing each other twice or are they going to play each other 3 or 4 times.

Langerdan007
24/01/2013, 9:29 AM
Anybody know what's happening as regards fixtures in div 3. There's only 5 teams in it, are they leaving it at playing each other twice or are they going to play each other 3 or 4 times.

Hey - two teams have already withdrawn from the division - St Bens and Kilcolman - The League itself decided to add an extra game in so all teams left would play each other 3 times
There was a coin toss as I understand to decide home advantage
I think myself all that matters in the division is promotion as next year I would expect Div 3 and 4 to merge into one division - there just isnt enough teams for 2 divisions down there and its getting harder for teams to field B teams

nathanbrown
25/01/2013, 8:48 AM
What way are pitches this weekend? Will games be called off? All premier games seem to be on in good pitches so shouldnt be affected I would imagine, not so much in division 1. Rathkeale v Shannonside the pick of the games I think.
The desmond league website said earlier in the week that all games were called off, was that a mis-print?

fanaticfan
25/01/2013, 9:23 AM
Those were last weekends games Nathanbrown. All league games were off except munster junior cup games.

fanaticfan
26/01/2013, 4:48 PM
Are all games still on tomorrow morning.

Have It
26/01/2013, 5:28 PM
Are all games still on tomorrow morning.
There'll be an awful lot called off I'd say. And any pitches any way soft risk being ploughed to bits

Yorkshire rose
26/01/2013, 8:40 PM
Just heard all games off tomorrow.

western gale
26/01/2013, 11:39 PM
Saturday, January 26th

Munster Youths Cup 4th Round
Newcastle West Rovers 0 Tramore AFC 4

Desmond U17 Cup QF
Broadford Utd 2 Rathkeale 3

Youths Division 1 League Cup QF
Abbeyfeale Utd V Adare Utd off

Youths Division 2
Pallaskenry 1 Feenagh 2
Bally Rovers 0 Creeves Celtic 3
Breska Rovers 5 Askeaton 1
Carrig Celtic 1 St Itas 1
Ferry Rangers 3 Glantine 2

fanaticfan
27/01/2013, 10:03 PM
Fixtures 3 Feb 2013

ALL FIXTURES are subject to alteration until published in the Weekly Observer.

Sunday 3rd February Weekly Observer Premier Division League Cup Quarter Final (extra time & penalties)

Newcastle West V Killeaney 1130 (G. O’Connor)

Richard Hogan Cup Quarter Final (extra time & penalties) Creeves Celtic V Abbeyfeale Utd B 2pm (P. Manning)

Weekly Observer Premier Division Shannonside FC V Broadford Utd 1130 in Aughinish (D. O’Gorman) Carrig Celtic V Newcastle West Rovers 1130 (P. O’Brien) Ballingarry V Abbeyfeale Utd 1130 (L. O’Connor)

Weekly Observer Division 1 Glantine V Rockhill Rovers 1130 (P. King) Old Mill V Kilcornan 1130 (J. Roche) Kildimo Utd V St. Itas 1130 (B. Nash) Adare Utd V Breska Rovers 230 (D. O’Gorman) Athea Utd V Askeaton 230 (S. Hartnett)

Weekly Observer Division 2 Pallaskenry V Carrig Celtic B 230 (P. O’Connor) Granagh Utd V Feenagh 1130 (P. O’Connor) Broadford Utd B V Ballysteen 230 (J. Molyneaux)

Weekly Observer Division 3 Kilcornan B V Ballingarry B 230 (L. O’Connor)

Weekly Observer Division 4 Shannonside FC B V Shountrade 230 in Shanagolden (D. Wallace) Bally Rovers V Newcastle West Rovers B 230 (E. Barrett) Feenagh B V St. Itas B 230 (C. Dalton)

western gale
28/01/2013, 12:22 AM
Sunday, February 3rd

Premier Division League Cup QF (et & pens)
Newcastle West V Killeaney 1130 (G. O’Connor)

Richard Hogan Cup QF (et & pens)
Creeves Celtic V Abbeyfeale Utd B 2pm (P. Manning)

Premier Division
Shannonside V Broadford Utd 1130 in Aughinish (D. O’Gorman)
Carrig Celtic V Newcastle West Rovers 1130 (P. O’Brien)
Ballingarry V Abbeyfeale Utd 1130 (L. O’Connor)

Division 1
Glantine V Rockhill Rovers 1130 (P. King)
Old Mill V Kilcornan 1130 (J. Roche)
Kildimo Utd V St Itas 1130 (B. Nash)
Adare Utd V Breska Rovers 230 (D. O’Gorman)
Athea Utd V Askeaton 230 (S. Hartnett)

Division 2
Pallaskenry V Carrig Celtic B 230 (P. O’Connor)
Granagh Utd V Feenagh 1130 (P. O’Connor)
Broadford Utd B V Ballysteen 230 (J. Molyneaux)

Division 3
Kilcornan B V Ballingarry B 230 (L. O’Connor)

Division 4
Shannonside B V Shountrade 230 in Shanagolden (D. Wallace)
Bally Rovers V Newcastle West Rovers B 230 (E. Barrett)
Feenagh B V St Itas B 230 (C. Dalton)

soccer8
30/01/2013, 1:06 AM
Great to see three Desmond league players playing with LimerickFC U19 and two more in the senior squad in Gary Shanahan and Gary Sheehan ............

jaorta
30/01/2013, 6:16 AM
Great to see three Desmond league players playing with LimerickFC U19 and two more in the senior squad in Gary Shanahan and Gary Sheehan ............

Is Gary Sheahan still in the squad.A fine player but very unlucky with injuries.The Desmond League has come on in leaps and bounds
and the players are improving technically year on year.

nathanbrown
30/01/2013, 10:09 AM

When did Shanahan sign? Good to see that, he was a great prospect a few years ago. Who are the 3 playing with Limerick u19? Sheahan is still on the team alright, I think he broke his leg last year, he didnt play many games at all, I saw him come on as a sub late on in a few games

fanaticfan
30/01/2013, 10:51 AM
Good to see sheehan still involved with the team after that injury. A friend told me that Shanahan is only training with limerick and hasn't signed anything yet with them

Langerdan007
30/01/2013, 2:15 PM
When did Shanahan sign? Good to see that, he was a great prospect a few years ago. Who are the 3 playing with Limerick u19? Sheahan is still on the team alright, I think he broke his leg last year, he didnt play many games at all, I saw him come on as a sub late on in a few games

Two of the u19s are Ross Mann and Shane Costello - both signed from Kilcornan in the summer

Ya Gary Sheehan has been very unlucky with injuries - that broken leg in Finn Harps by all accounts was tantamount to assualt but he is defo back playing I havent heard of him leaving Limerick either - I could be wrong on that

dutchie
31/01/2013, 12:52 AM
We actually have 4 signed with the 19s,the two from Kilcornan mentioned above plus Aj oConnor fro newcastlewest Roners and Gavin Dillon from Abbeyfeale who last played with Athea,improving times indeed.

fanaticfan
31/01/2013, 11:11 AM
Has Aj o Connor been called up to the irish under 19 team or have i heard wrong

snafu
31/01/2013, 2:36 PM
Whats are the chances of games being played the weekend?