PDA

View Full Version : AIPL plans revealed

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

DmanDmythDledge
20/07/2008, 12:39 PM
A plan for an All-Ireland Premier League, with prize money of nearly €4m (£3.2m) a year, has been drawn up by Fintan Drury of Platinum One, a sports marketing group.

At a time when most football clubs on both sides of the border are losing money and some are on the verge of financial collapse because of poor attendance and sponsorship, Drury wants to start the league in August next year. It would be run along the lines of the Premiership in England and the Scottish Premier League.

The businessman, who is chairman of Paddy Power and a director of Anglo Irish Bank, has sent a 62-page proposal to the 10 clubs he wants to join — seven from the republic and three from the north.

Full article (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article4364999.ece).

Longer article on page 16 of the sport section but is not online. Drury's proposals are summarised there.

The All Ireland Premier League (AIPL) would initially comprise 10 teams, seven from the Republic of Ireland and three from Northern Ireland, with Derry City counting as one of the northern teams. In the third year two more teams would be added, one from each jurisdiction

The AIPL would run under an initial five-year license granted by the FAI and IFA. It would start in August 2009 and be played in winter rather than during the summer, unlike the current Eircom League. The FAI would be expected to switch their league to winter as well

The AIPL would be affiliated to the FAI and IFA and pay an agreed sum to each association annually

The 10 teams would be: Derry City, Cork City, Bohemians, Drogheda Utd, Limerick 37, Glentoran, Linfield, Galway Utd, St Patrick's Athletic and Shamrock Rovers. There would be no promotion and relegation in the first two years but from year three the bottom club in the AIPL would be relegated. The winners of the Irish League would then play off against the Eircom League winners for the promotion place

The AIPL would take four European places- two in the Champions League qualifying rounds and two in the UEFA Cup qualifying rounds- from the existing Eircom League and Irish League

The AIPL clubs would still affiliate to their respective associaitons and would play in their annual cup competitions

Each club would have to employ 16 apprentice professionals, aged between 16 and 18. AIPl clubs would be obliged to play in an AIPL underage league to provide a link between the schoolboy and professional game

Platinum One would provide a mininum prize fund of €3.765m for each of the first two seasons of the AIPL. This would be allocated thus: champions €1.1m, runners-up €550k, third and fourth places €425 each, fifth place €350k, sicth place €275k, seventh and eight places €180k, ninth and tenth places €140k

Platinum One would have overall responsibility for marketing and promotion, taking 10% of gate receipts from member clubs

RonnieB
20/07/2008, 12:55 PM
I do love a good laugh in the morning..

holidaysong
20/07/2008, 1:02 PM
Limerick 37? :D

holidaysong
20/07/2008, 1:06 PM
Hopefully Howard Wells saves us all from this franchise football! Also, they must be joking if they think they'll get away with having 2 CL spots..

OneRedArmy
20/07/2008, 1:09 PM
Awaits views of Limerick fans who were dead set against the whole idea in the long running thread......

Allstar
20/07/2008, 1:25 PM
Galway and limerick 37????? Pah dont think so!!!

osarusan
20/07/2008, 1:29 PM
Awaits views of Limerick fans who were dead set against the whole idea in the long running thread......

I'm still dead against it. Limerick shouldn't be involved - we have no right to be there, games would look terrible on TV, and 10% of our gates wont amount to much.

I didn't see any mention of the 65% cap, which most posters on this site were in support of. It is funny to read Drury in the article blaming the FAI for all our problems, while at the same time throwing more money at clubs when we have seen that clubs don't budget well by themselves.

The lack of a proper promotion system will be an issue I'd imagine, as even winning the league (of the remaining eL or IL clubs) may not be enough to get you into the AIL.

Furthermore, with clubs already struggling to survive, taking away their bigger gates of the season (Bohs, Derry, Cork, Rovers etc) will only increase the financial problems.

I'd imagine that after 2 years of totally pointless league games against teams not chosen to join the AIL, the team which finally does get promoted won't be in great shape to compete against teams which have had 2 years in the AIL.

As I've said before, I'm not against an AIL in principle, but I am against this one. Overall, I don't see it as beneficial for football on this island.

dortie
20/07/2008, 1:49 PM
The potential prize money in this would only be good for Irish football, would love to see it happen.

Conroy
20/07/2008, 1:56 PM
The promotion system is a joke, The whole thing is a joke. The extra prize money would only lead to increased wages. Attendances remaining the same and watching **** poor staduims on TV.

L37?

Louth4sam
20/07/2008, 2:40 PM
The potential prize money in this would only be good for Irish football, would love to see it happen.

Good for Irish football or good for the 10 clubs that have been invited to the league?
Where does the prize money come from for the clubs not invited?
So there is no promotion for three years? Where does this leave the clubs that win their leagues? So is there any point in them even trying or fielding teams if there is no promotion for three years?
It will just lead to a case of the rich getting richer. What chance does the team that is promoted for season 4 got if the other teams have been getting a lot of prizemoney for three years.
They are looking for grants for stadiums, i assume this is only for the teams invited to the league. So will this means other clubs wont receive any grants or will have less of a chance to get grants?
The loi is a lot stronger than the irish league so all the teams in the loi will be battling for 1 spot in the playoff vs the winner of the irish league. Hardly fair

superfrank
20/07/2008, 2:46 PM
Worst proposals I've heard yet.

SMorgan
20/07/2008, 2:47 PM
Goodness its starting in just over a year's time. You guys better rush out and get the season tickets.

I can't believe people are still taking this sh!te, seriously.

I think there is a fair amount of delusion going on here.

Do us all a favour Platinum One and just go away.
:)

Sheridan
20/07/2008, 3:31 PM
The AIPL would take four European places- two in the Champions League qualifying rounds and two in the UEFA Cup qualifying rounds- from the existing Eircom League and Irish League
It would, would it? :D :rolleyes:

holidaysong
20/07/2008, 3:41 PM
It sounds awesome!

I hope that was sarcasm... :confused:

dcfc1928
20/07/2008, 4:08 PM
The sooner the better.

SolitudeRed
20/07/2008, 4:24 PM
Madness! Limerick 37 and Galway Utd what are they doing in there! didn't Galway recently say that they weren't interested in becoming part of this AIL thing due to financial problems! Anyway I think next August is way to soon be contemplating beginning such a league.

alansmithccfc
20/07/2008, 4:40 PM
Funny to see the people criticising it are not involved in the plans for it

sligoman
20/07/2008, 4:41 PM
Is it April fools day again? Such a stupid idea for a league.

Saint_Charlie
20/07/2008, 4:56 PM

I think it's a stupid idea

don ramo
20/07/2008, 5:09 PM
so you can just take european places from the 2 leagues:rolleyes: im 100% certain this hasnt been passed by EUFA, you cant just switch when you like:rolleyes:,
the league is a whole new league, it will have to work its way up the coeffients, so while they play by themselfs fo 3 years in the EUFA cup (only, no Champions League as your only a new league) we in the eircom league will happily be playin champions league football as the FAI will not give up it european allocation, why would they, they only bought the league a 2 years ago,

and limerick 37 and galway are proof that this will never take off, not very ambitious,

of the ten clubs, how many of the fans here are in favour of it

Rocky77
20/07/2008, 5:11 PM

What do you expect?

"Yeah, I'm delighted that my club will suffer enormously once Cork City become stronger. Small price to pay really."

oriel
20/07/2008, 5:13 PM
Galway, Limerick and Drogs ????????:D

With a grand total of 3 lge titles between them, one in 1930, one in 1950 and the other one a once in a lifetime achievement last season.

More chance of rovers moving back to milltown than this taking off

EalingGreen
20/07/2008, 5:15 PM
The loi is a lot stronger than the irish league so all the teams in the loi will be battling for 1 spot in the playoff vs the winner of the irish league. Hardly fair
Obviously the LOI is stronger than the IL, but once you've excuded the 10 AIL clubs, the Promotion Play-Off will (theoretically) be between the 9th Best LOI club and the 3rd best IL club.
I'm not sure the difference would be that great. Besides, how else would you do it?
Anyhow, that particular aspect is only one of a number of flaws in this whole misconceived idea.

EalingGreen
20/07/2008, 5:18 PM

This Glens fan, who is not opposed in principle to an AIL, wants nothing to do with it.

holidaysong
20/07/2008, 5:49 PM
Obviously as a Dundalk fan, I'm completely against the 'invitational' aspect of this proposed league (snazzy DVDs, Maxi, etc...). The only way I want to see this happen is if it is non-invitational and run in conjunction with the IFA and FAI. Clubs should have to play their way into it (by finishing in the top 4,5,6 or whatever in their respective leagues). Also, I'm totally against any attempt to have an 'elite' league that tries to exclude other clubs. There should be promotion and relegation from the start and not a token promotion spot but a system that gives clubs a realistic chance of getting into the AIL. Prize money should filter down to the LOI and the IL accordingly. The remaining clubs in the LOI and the IL will be hit hard by decreased attendances and should be compensated by increased prize money.

Sheridan
20/07/2008, 5:52 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, holidaysong, it's absolute fantasy. Not even the FAI would sanction the proposed promotion/relegation structure, and the clubs have nothing to bargain with.

SMorgan
20/07/2008, 6:28 PM

I can't even understand why supporters of the clubs that Mr Roddy and Mr Drury hand-picked would think this is a good idea.

These guys arses are completely out the window on this one.

Sit down and think about it. A 10-team league with no promotion/relegation.

But then again, you could have more games like the Drogheda v Cork City match today!! nuff said.

Dodge
20/07/2008, 7:12 PM
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/irishdoc.pdf

Proposal document above.

Far too many assumptions being made. doesn't look like they've researched anything at all IMO.

I'd love an AIL but this seems stoopid

Flexy
20/07/2008, 8:34 PM
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/irishdoc.pdf

Proposal document above.

Far too many assumptions being made. doesn't look like they've researched anything at all IMO.

I'd love an AIL but this seems stoopid

guys it may have been asked before who would your ten teams be. Mine would be
Linfield, Glentoran, Derry, Cork, Pats, Shamrock rovers, Dundalk, Bohs, Drogs/sligo or Galway, Ballymena or Coleraine

niallsparky
20/07/2008, 8:52 PM
I'm very in favour of an AIL but not this proposal.

holidaysong
20/07/2008, 8:58 PM
guys it may have been asked before who would your ten teams be. Mine would be
Linfield, Glentoran, Derry, Cork, Pats, Shamrock rovers, Dundalk, Bohs, Drogs/sligo or Galway, Ballymena or Coleraine

I'd pick the teams that finish in the top 3 from the IL and the top 7 from the LOI. I feel the 3:7 ratio would be justified given the population ratio of 1.7m:4.3m, which are the respective populations on Wikipedia.

You could have an interim season with all 22 league clubs so they all have an equal chance of finishing in the top 7 and you don't have a meaningless first division season that year. Something similar could be done in the IL.

SMorgan
20/07/2008, 10:02 PM
This Glens fan, who is not opposed in principle to an AIL, wants nothing to do with it.

All Ireland League tomorrow a single Ireland international team the day after. The proud supporters of Northern Ireland should be concerned.

micls
20/07/2008, 10:12 PM
While Im in favour of an AIL in general that just sounds ridiculous

Candystripe
20/07/2008, 10:34 PM
All Ireland League tomorrow a single Ireland international team the day after. The proud supporters of Northern Ireland should be concerned.

But there would still be an IFA league.........actually about 500 leagues affiliated to the IFA........from kids up to to premier league.

It does seem to have many flaws in it.

My ten would be.......... Derry, Cork, Dundalk, Bohs, Pats, Shams,Linfield, Glens,Cliftonville and Ballymena.

It would need a top 4 from each league playing off in a play-off in the 1st year, with 2 from the FAI and 2 from the IFA gaining promotion and for it to be a 14 team league for 3 yrs with it reducing to a 12 team league then. It would make it fairer for all clubs to at least get a chance of making it.

dcfcsteve
20/07/2008, 11:05 PM
so you can just take european places from the 2 leagues:rolleyes: im 100% certain this hasnt been passed by EUFA, you cant just switch when you like:rolleyes:,

You can actually. It's up to each individual association to nominate its reps for European competition, and set the perameters for that qualification. So the AIPL proposal wouldn't need any input from UEFA to have Euro places nominated via the IFA/FAI

the league is a whole new league, it will have to work its way up the coeffients, so while they play by themselfs fo 3 years in the EUFA cup (only, no Champions League as your only a new league)

Interesting question. I assume the co-efficients things wasn't around when the likes of Yugoslavia split into the separate leagues. What happened in the international rankings when Germany unified ? I suspect the united Germany just took the ranking of the highest placed of the two constituent parts (i.e. West Germany). It would therefore appear to make sense to just keep the LOI's ranking and points for the new combined league. The only problem would be that the LOI and IL would still exist and still be putting teams into Europe (UEFA Cup) alongside themselves.

I wonder have they spoken to anyone in Europe about that aspect ? I would hope they have for the credibility of their plan.

GavinZac
20/07/2008, 11:11 PM
In the event of a merger what would happen is that the co-efficient points for the last 5 years would be recalculated. Each year the number of points for each nation is totaled and divided by the total of clubs that participated from that nation, the result being the year's co-ef result for the nation. In the event of a merger then, for example, in any of those years we might have maybe 2 wins, 4 draws and 2 losses in total, making 10 points, but divided by the 6 clubs from both sides of the border involved - thus putting the new league somewhere between the eLoI in 32nd place and the IL somewhere below it.

gufcfan
20/07/2008, 11:41 PM
While Im in favour of an AIL in general that just sounds ridiculous

I'm about halfway through looking at the proposal in detail.

There are many good ideas contained within it but they are over emphasised and the proposal doesn't deal with a lot of potential problems.

Major research, consultation and open, transparent debate needs to occur before it is taken seriously.

Also, they should shy away a bit more from using the word "franchise" if they ever want people to take it seriously...

Dodge
21/07/2008, 2:08 AM
You can actually. It's up to each individual association to nominate its reps for European competition, and set the perameters for that qualification. So the AIPL proposal wouldn't need any input from UEFA to have Euro places nominated via the IFA/FAI

Thats not strictly true as the Champions League places must be based on league positions. As this is a new league, it absolutely would need UEFA co-operation

shed-ender
21/07/2008, 3:21 AM
so with this proposal, Derry would play in the IFA Cup not the FAI Cup and if they were relegated, it would be to the Irish League not the LOI
Also playing the sane teams overe and over again is a non starter and moving back to winter football, no need to worry about Euro places, it would all be over in July!!

Magicme
21/07/2008, 3:44 AM
I'm totally against any attempt to have an 'elite' league that tries to exclude other clubs. There should be promotion and relegation from the start and not a token promotion spot but a system that gives clubs a realistic chance of getting into the AIL. Prize money should filter down to the LOI and the IL accordingly. The remaining clubs in the LOI and the IL will be hit hard by decreased attendances and should be compensated by increased prize money.

Oh god I cant believe this is happening buy I agree with a dundalk fan. Tis luda..eh...ludic....madness I tell ya.

Big Ears
21/07/2008, 4:14 AM
I'm in favour of an All-Ireland league, but not like this, not like this .

It should be left till the North has settled into their new league which should improve it's structure and the structure of clubs down here has improved since the FAI got involved .

The 65% wage cap is a must to keep clubs spending within their means .
Once clubs in the North and the League of Ireland are being well run we can look into an All-Ireland League with places for that new league being determined on League position alone(considering all clubs should be reasonably well run there would be no need for another evaluation process like we have gone through recently with both the FAI LOI and new IFA Premiership) .

Promotion and relegation must be there from the start aswell to keep things interesting for both the new All-Ireland League and the leagues(presumely one in the North , one in the Republic) directly below them .

gufcfan
21/07/2008, 4:24 AM
Executive Summary

- Domestic football in Ireland is beset by grave financial difficulties. The prospects for the game are completely hopeless. Without an urgent and radical overhaul the game on both parts of the island will continue to fail.
I can't see how the LOI is going to improve much farther beyond its current level. As is mentioned below, clubs are haemorrhaging cash. Galway had to let many players go. Sligo are going the same way.

- Clubs are haemorrhaging money. Those clubs at the top of the game, which aspire to improving standards, cannot lift income levels to match their commitment. Most of the smaller clubs are similarly “stretched”.For the league to improve, it needs to be done on a bigger scale. Those governing the domestic game have done it no favours. Things like television revenues have no transparency. I think that much more could be done to maximise revenue.

- Initiatives to improve matters already taken or planned by the two Associations have had little or no effect.Anyone have any idea what initiatives they are referencing?

- The game can only support one professional league on the island combining the best run and supported clubs from the Irish League with the appropriate mix of clubs in the Republic in an all island league.I would agree with that. I don't think that the Eircom League can exist as a fully professional league. Be it 10 or 12 teams, with the current structures, you will always have some teams living from week to week or from month to month.

- The proposed All Ireland Premier League would start in August 2009 with 10 full time professional clubs invited to participate.10 clubs, probably a good number. As for starting in Aug 2009, I don't think that they are really setting that as their realistic target. It is probably just a tactic to show that they are serious and want movement on it soon.

- In year three two more clubs – one from each jurisdiction - would join the AIPL.If projected revenues are on target or in that sort of ballpark, I don't see why the league couldn't sustain another 2 clubs. With proper marketing, you wouldn't have to rely on gettin the big gates from the derbies and the other big draws teams would get. Properly marketed, most league games could draw a decent crowd, in relation to the size and position of the club.

- This league would be the top of the professional game in Ireland. The remaining clubs would compete in the League of Ireland and the Irish League and could, as and from year three, qualify to play in the AIPL.I know that I may be slightly biased, but I don't think that the idea of making the AIPL a closed shop for 2 years is a great idea.

It would mean that for 2 seasons in a row, some teams would find themselves with nothing to play for by Christmas. Not being able to reach Europe and not having the threat of relegation over them either could have adverse effects on gates, the quality of the product on offer, i.e. the football and also generally make it look a bit Mickey Mouse.

If Platinum One are trying to breed a little stability, I believe it should be done by running the clubs right and making sure that the product is as good as possible, which in turn will have a positive effect all round. I never miss a Galway United game if I can help it, but if they happened to be in the AIPL and were bottom at Christmas, I wouldn't be that bothered about games as nothing short of a miracle would salvage anything meaningful from the season.

- The new league would provide a full-time professional competition for players, spectators, sponsors and broadcasters.With increased revenues, and hopefully... gates, investors, both public and private would be much more inclined to invest in domestic soccer. One would hope that the increase in revenues would see clubs being more financially secure.

- Most critically the new league would attract many of our better players to stay in Ireland even if the very best talent continued to go to big clubs in Britain.If clubs were able to afford to pay people better and I suppose just as importantly, offer a better standard of competition it would encourage players to stay in Ireland. The best lads will always and should go to the Premiership in order to develope their potential fully, but there are many lads in the leagues below that who would improve the quality of the AIPL, if they were to see playing at home as a proper alternative.

- It would also mean that more of the better players who are good enough to play at the top level would go to Britain later than they do currently.Agree

- The AIPL would be an independent entity run by a private company under licence from the FAI and IFA each of which would have a representative on its board. The independence of the AIPL would mean the autonomy of the two associations would be protected. No other aspect of the game in Ireland – North or South -would be affected by this move. All revenues generated by the AIPL would be put back into the clubsI dont see how structurally or financially the FAI can object to it really. I mean if they dont want, fair enough, but it would be difficult for them to discredit the basic principles of the concept of an AIL. Unless they have some masterplan under their sleeves that they are waiting to reveal...

- Clubs would need to meet very strict Licensing criteria as set by UEFA through the Associations Club Licensing Departments, to qualify for the AIPL including meeting financial demands that would protect the League against unanticipated difficulties.I'd like to know more about what exactly they mean by that

- Four European places would go the League.
I'd like to know what UEFA will have to say about that. Is there any precident for such a situation anywhere in the world?

- The AIPL clubs would remain affiliated to their respective associations and would play in their annual Cup competitions.That would be something that would be important to me, that the FAI Cup be retained. I dont really care for the League Cup, as the wider view on it seems to be that it is Mickey Mouse.

- Players would be registered with their Association and approved to play in AIPLFair enough...

- AIPL clubs would be obliged to play in an AIPL underage league that would provide the natural link between the schoolboy and the professional games.Would give the underage set-ups of the clubs a chance to play on at a better level, like their senior colleagues.

- The critical determinant of success with any professional sporting endeavour is the reaction of fans, broadcasters and sponsors. We know that the current offering is failing to generate enthusiasm with any and all of these audiences and without radical and speedy change the professional game here is doomed to fail.The game in Ireland really needs to be snazzied up. Ever since Sky started beaming the Premiersh!t into homes and pubs all across Ireland, support for the domestic game has nosedived.

The AIPL would never compete on an equal footing with the Premiership, but I feel that a happy co-existance could happen in Ireland.

gufcfan
21/07/2008, 4:45 AM
The draft report threw up an interesting couple of lines here and there. Here's one of them...

All revenues generated by the AIPL would be put back into the clubs

Apart from the 10% of the gate receipts, and the League affiliation money, all revenues generated by the AIPL would be plowed back into the league.

That is what it seems like anyhow.

I'm still very sceptical though, of how they have come to all their conclusions regarding the projections they have made for the leagues finances.

We are talking about a completely hypothetical situation here, yet they are putting down firm estimates based on a product that hasn't even gotten past the design stage yet.

gufcfan
21/07/2008, 4:54 AM
All the clubs on the island will not share the same view on something as radical as what is being proposed. Those with a full-time professional staff and those with the potential to have such a set-up are completely committed to the AIPL and want to see it introduced immediately. Others – though by no means all – view it as a threat and are understandably nervous about what its introduction would herald.

Have any clubs actually come out and said that they are committed to it or at least admitted that they would like to see it happen?

I'm not sure where I heard or read about it, but apparently Galway United asked not to be included in the considerations for invitees to the AIPL.

As Platinum One have stated that a rough geographical spread with a bias towards Dublin was needed, I don't see why Galway would want to exit talks, when gaining entry into it could possibly secure the future of the club into the medium and the long term.

jinxy lilywhite
21/07/2008, 8:26 AM
At this moment in time I am sceptical of the propsal. A proper time frame needs to be put in place and not "ow lets pick august 09" bull crap. Some of the clubs proposed in the deals are a joke. Limerick 37 and Galway.

The FAI & IFA will have final say on any proposal and UEFA will not sanction any club agreement before the FAI & IFA approve it first of all. Also I can't see the northern clubs going for it as only two along with Derry will be represented. What would happen to the Cliftonville's and Portadowns in their league.

I don't think the proposers have Irish football in their interests. As was said before this will have fatal consequences for the clubs that aren't involved. For a full time professional league I think clubs need to be drawing in an attendence of at least 5,000 a game and the majority of clubs on the island are nowhere near pulling that on a regular basis.

OneRedArmy
21/07/2008, 8:41 AM
If it achieves nothing else it should force the FAI to get real on their "all is well in the garden" fingers-in-ears approach to the financial troubles many clubs are in.

GavinZac
21/07/2008, 8:42 AM
Some of the clubs proposed in the deals are a joke. Limerick 37 and Galway.I think the idea is that with a proper scheme for generating them funds, and probably with a generous donation from Platinum One, Limerick FC and Galway Utd would not be the jokes they are now. Its a bit unfair to class them together, also. Galway may be struggling with mediocre crowds and tight finances but they've been rooted to the foot of the table so long that their attendances really aren't that poor - they're matching St Pats at the top.

Limerick on the other hand don't have a stadium, don't have many fans, and don't exactly put much into the 'match day experience' beyond apologising afterward when you've been spit at.

Portadowns in their league.Who? Find me Portadown in a league table or fixtures.

jinxy lilywhite
21/07/2008, 9:02 AM
I think the idea is that with a proper scheme for generating them funds, and probably with a generous donation from Platinum One, Limerick FC and Galway Utd would not be the jokes they are now. Its a bit unfair to class them together, also. Galway may be struggling with mediocre crowds and tight finances but they've been rooted to the foot of the table so long that their attendances really aren't that poor - they're matching St Pats at the top.

So Galway get another hand out off the authorities. This time its from Platinum One. I'd love to know what Nick Leeson does. Does he spit, swallow or gargle?

Macy
21/07/2008, 9:13 AM
I haven't read the full proposals (yet), but would not be in favour of any system that is not based on footballing critea and doesn't allow promotion or relegation. There is already a system north and south that is supposed to ensure minimum standards of infrastructure, club structure, financial security etc, so no need for an additional one so that Platinum to pick and choose.

EalingGreen
21/07/2008, 9:14 AM
No doubt there are major deficiencies in the way the IL and LOI are presently run and equally, there may be good elements of this proposal whose implementation could help domestic football throughout Ireland.
But there still remains two overriding flaws which imo mean this proposal simply cannot work.

Fundamentally, there is no evidence that Ireland is capable of supporting even 10 genuinely full-time clubs on a stable, long-term basis, never mind the 16-18(?) needed to maintain competitiveness and variety etc.

Second, the finances of this proposed League are virtually completely dependent upon TV money. However, as was seen e.g. with the way the English Football League was shafted by the sudden collapse of ITV Digital's attempt to compete with Sky, to rely on a broadcaster is foolish, since they don't care a jot what they televise. Therefore, should the viewing figures and advertising revenues ever drop, they'll switch to something else without a moment's thought.

On which latter point, I foresee real difficulties. Essentially, TV companies like live football because it offers atmosphere, competitiveness, tradition and excitement to the armchair viewer. However, it is the fans in the stadium who provide the atmosphere and excitement etc. Which is why, for example, the English Prem attracts the highest TV audiences worldwide - the quality of the football itself may not be the highest, but the big stadia, capacity crowds, exciting matches etc provide the necessary atmosphere to persuade TV viewers to tune in.

Essentially, Platinum are hoping that if TV puts up the money first, and this is used to promote the League, pay players full-time and improve stadia etc, then the crowds will follow.

However, I have no confidence this will happen. For one thing, the stadia will never compete with what fans experience e.g. on their Ryanair weekend to Sunderland, or their annual holiday to the USA etc.
Second, try as they might, a 4-5,000 crowd in an 8,000 capacity stadium can never replicate the atmosphere of an Anfield or Celtic Park etc. And whilst the marketing and promotion of domestic football could undoubtedly be improved, they can never hope to compete with e.g. English football on Sky in that regard.
So that if Setanta start televising the new AIL for, say, €15 per month, you can be certain that Sky will bring out a "spoiler" showing the English Prem in Ireland at cheaper rates - and their pockets are deep enough to win any war of attrition.
Third, even though exclusively full time football would undoubtedly improve playing standards, these can never hope to draw the barstoolers away from their Satellite Dishes beaming English and Scottish games of a considerably higher standard.

Above all, I fear the fans will quickly become disillusioned with the same 4 or 5teams dominating the same 10 teams in the AIL, with the same 5 or 6 "yo yo" clubs from the IL and LOI vainly trying to get up into the AIL and stay there.
Worse still, if there is no Promotion and Relegation from the start, and only limited P&R thereafter, the "predictability factor" will be exacerbated.
And once the novelty wears off, there is a risk that fans will be put off by the significantly increased travelling, especially when games will undoubtedly be scheduled to suit the TV schedules, rather than the supporters.
Finally, whilst such ventures offer the excitement of the new, there is no guarantee that this will compensate for the loss of tradition and history which for many fans is one of the attractions of local football.
For example, if Glenavon were to draw Portadown in the Irish Cup, I'd be prepared to bet they would pull a bigger crowd than if either of them was in the AIL and playing against even the top teams like Drogheda, never mind "Franchise Picks" like Galway or Limerick37 (no offence).

In the end, domestic Irish football is facing the age old problem which faces all Leagues. Do you concentrate all your resources on those (relatively few) Elite clubs which are viable in the modern era, but consequently cast adrift "smaller" clubs who historically have contributed to the game out of proportion to their size?
Or do you try to spread your resources as widely as possible, for the overall good of the game, but thereby risk seeing the progressive clubs dragged down by the deadwood, who rely on "handouts" to go on existing?

Clearly, following England's lead, Platinum have gone for the former approach and there is nothing wrong with that in principle (imo) - esp since the latter approach, as perpetuated by the IL and LOI until recently, has seen only decline in recent decades.

But the idea that this new approach can be made to work by relying on TV money to attract the crowds is putting the cart before the horse, especially when it is hoped to draw the crowds to a League whose members are not selected on footballing criteria, but rather because they conform to some TV Advertising Exec's notion of Franchises, Regionality, potential TV audiences and geographical spread etc.

Worst of all, if my pessimism is correct, we could experience the worst of all worlds, since if the Elite League concept were to crash after a few years, potentially dragging down some of its Founder Members who had overreached themselves, then it might not be possible to return to the former concept of sharing the resources, since many small to medium clubs will also have folded during the years they were cast adrift from the AIL. :(

Having said all that, I'm still hopeful overall, since I'm confident the IFA and FAI will kill this particular proposal stone dead, before it ever gets going! :)